[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Do you share music with your family?
>>
>>80759531
I showed my mom and brother KSG

they liked it.
>>
>>80759531
Usually I play music with my stereo, so technically I am. Not that they like it though
>>
Only my little sister. she listens to kpop but likes listening to whatever weird shit I'm into also. she'll have good taste one day
older sister is a top40 pleb
parents don't listen to music
>>
My Dad is obsessed with Tame Impala and The Strokes after I introduced them to him.
>>
What family...
>>
File: obama.jpg (350 KB, 960x940)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
Yea
I've got shared interest with everyone in my family in some way

>Dad
Ween
Talking Heads
Gorillaz
Bob Dylan
Kanye
EITS
Joy Division
Pink Floyd

>Mum
Beastie Boys
MGMT
The Microphones
The Strokes
Wavves

(65daysofstatic for both)

>Siblings
RTJ
Kero Kero
Tyler, Frank, Earl (most of OF)
Daft Punk
Clipping.
Caravan Palace
Brand New

And everyone likes David Bowie, Björk, the Avalanches
>>
My mom really likes Radiohead after hearing the New Moon and Romeo & Juliet soundtracks
>>
>>80759531
Yep. They like my nicer-sounding music like Lemon Jelly & Mega Drive, but don’t enjoy my HNW picks.
>>
>>80759531
only pleb stuff, they get kinda scared when I show them more obscure/experimental stuff
>>
I showed Artillery to my father and he said the vocals sounded similar to Helloween. I also have a couple death/black metal shirts I wear a lot, maybe one of my family members were curious but I doubt it.
>>
>>80760475
How dare you mention Caravan Palace like that's a normal thing to listen to
>>
i show my dad new Funk/disco music but i don't think he feels it much
my mom has heard pretty much ALL my rap/bleep library, she likes some house chunes

my bro showed me AnCo and 00s gangsta rap, rip to my nigga </3
>>
>>80760475
>Having a family to enjoy things with
Fuck you faggot.
>>
[spoiler]My wife browses /mu/[/spoiler]
>>
I dont even share music with my friends my dude
>>
>>80759531
I brought one sister to a King Crimson concert with me. Brought the other one to Jethro Tull.
>>
I got my mum into Belle and Sebastian, Flaming Lips and The Smiths.

My brother is going to a Ed Sheeran concert so I don't respect him anymore.
>>
>>80761921
>not knowing spoilers don't work on /mu
>>
I shared TVU with my parents and old Kanye with my little brother.
>>
>>80760259
how old is she and how old are you
>>
my 25 year old normie sister is as plebian as you could get but she really loves death grips for some odd reason. (only the singles though of fucking course)
>>
one of my siblings and I share stuff constantly, we have our own preferences, but there is a lot of over lap so we always have new recommendations for one another.

my other sibling just listens to the same ten different 90s college rock bands on shuffle. my mom enjoys recommendations and new music, but nothing too alternative. my dad listens to nothing but dad rock.
>>
>>80759531
yeah i got my dad into death grips
>>
I showed my mom and cousin death grips. Unsurprisingly they didn't like it very much. I showed my cousin a bunch of metal bands I like and he likes them though.
>>
TEst
>>
my dad left us
>>
The musical tastes of each of my family members overlap. It's a good dynamic to share musical interests with others in your family
>>
my family and I (except my dad) all listen to the same music--or at least we did; back in 2008 when I was about 10, we all went to go see Modest Mouse, Man Man, Pavement, Surfer Blood, and a few other great bands. That went on for about 5 years, but then my older bro started trailing off into "cooler" bands, and my sister and I trailed off into electronic, and my mom stayed about the same. We would all listen to those bands listed, plus death grips, talking heads, anco, wolf parade, and tune yards. including my 47 year old mom at the time haha
>>80763519
same
>>
File: 1527935665443.jpg (205 KB, 640x543)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
No matter what CD I play, they make fun of me. Jethro Tull, Jeff Buckley, even Radiohead. I don't get how.
>>
>>80759531
My paternal side are really into Scottish folk.
>>
>>80760475
The most patrician family desu
>>
>>80762792
Newfriend welcome
>>
File: 1390880501920.jpg (12 KB, 200x257)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>listening to ye with my mom
>only song she likes is all mine
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (128 KB, 1024x1024)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
My mom loves Metallica after I played her Load
>>
>>80760475
wtf your mum likes wavves? what album, I wanna know about this woman
>>
My mom and I share and talk music all the time but 3 of my 4 bros listen to pretty shit music.. my dad isn't really into music but he has some Beatles stuff, I think he liked them a lot when he was younger.

My mom and I just had a good talk this morning about the Snail Mail hype and whether she's anything special or not.
>>
>>80763786
Your mom is an enormous pleb
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 1052x789)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>80763822
After you gave her a load u mean
>>
>>80763822
everyone knows your mom loves a load, dude
>>
>>80760475
I also share tastes with everyone in my family.
I have 3 siblings so things get more especific

>Dad
The Cure
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
AC/DC

>Mom
Radiohead
Muse
Coldplay

>Sister
The Killers
Lana del Rey
Caravan Palace
Two Door Cinema Club

>Older Brother
J. Cole
Led Zeppelin
Interpol
The Black Keys
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Dead Kennedys

>Younger Brother
Death Grips
chris†††
David Bowie
Burzum
Yes
Giles Corey
Gojira
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

>Everyone
Queen, Daft Punk, Duran Duran, Gorillaz, Michael Jackson, Talking Heads, Breakbot

Grew up listening to 80's music so that's common in my house
>>
I hope my kid doesn't hate my music. How do I stop her from thinking all my music is lame?
>>
>>80763692
it's because you're a faggot
>>
>>80764041
>>80764042
>>
my dad saw a jazz performance about 40 years ago that he says was so good that he thinks listening to music now is pointless. i've literally never seen him take any interest in music my entire life, he might have autism
my mum also refuses to listen to music because she was at the last T.Rex gig before Marc Bolan died and she thinks she's cursed
my sister is open to new music, sent her Ulver and Jim O'Rourke recently and she dug em
>>
only after we are done having sex
>>
My family don't like prog rock, death metal, black metal, industrial or techno. They're fine with pretty much everything else. I refuse to listen to chiptune, film scores or video game soundtracks out loud though.
>>
>>80764405
show it to them when they're growing up

they'll be forced to enjoy it even when they realize it's all garbage
>>
File: CIVQZRd.png (486 KB, 533x753)
486 KB
486 KB PNG
>>80764518
Went too far buddy
>>
>>80760475
dog i'm tryna fuck your mom
>>
>>80759531
I gave my dad thee oh sees latest album for Christmas
>>
>>80760475
Lemme hit up your mom
My number is 1426148550
>>
>>80760475
These posts are fun we need more

Boomer Mom is super into music and played a huge variety of stuff while we were growin up, we share music constantly
Joni Mitchell
Tori Amos early albums
Radiohead
Zero 7
ELO
Sade
Tool
Jackson Browne

Boomer Dad
Classic rock radio very occasionally and pretends he likes my moms music to make her happy

Oldest bro
Bad Brains
Natalie Merchant
RHCP
Tori Amos
This one was really into his music but died a while back so I have no idea what he'd be listening to now, but these were his favorites in the late 90's.

Bro #2
Sopor Aeternus
Cradle of Filth
Cruxshadows
Hair metal
This one is really into his music and likes it really dramatic and theatrical but we still share stuff all the time.

Bro #3
Nickelback
Sevendust and shit that sounds like that, he's not really into music but has strong opinions about what's good.
>>
My dad likes the new Arctic Monkeys album, he said it sounds like David Bowie.

I usually play dad rock with him (Beatles, Black Sabbath) or he decides to play a 70s playlist from Spotify.
>>
>>80765247
Also mom likes Björk and Lana Del Rey like me.
>>
>mom
MGMT
Gorillaz
Father John Misty
Bjork
King Gizzard

>cousin
Brockhampton
>>
>>80764730
>anime reaction images
proves my point
>>
got my sister to listen to Kanye's older stuff, some MF DOOM, new MGMT, Dismemberment Plan. We both went to a Nas concert last weekend,was pretty fun.
>>
File: 1527566831412.jpg (35 KB, 680x396)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>80759531
>Driving around with my dad
>Have Saigon Rock and Soul CD in car CD player
>Play it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4r3Vj8p_k&list=PL833E925721802958
Does that count?
>>
>>80764730

>anime reaction pic

Surely not far enough
>>
File: 61R6k3xEAFL._SL1000_.jpg (114 KB, 1000x1000)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>80763692
Worst I get is, "Do you even understand the lyrics?"
I just say, "No" and no further criticism arises.
>>
>>80759531
Mom got me into Talking Heads actually
>>
got into rammstein because of dad
got into depeche mode because of mom
from there my taste started greatly expanding thanks to this degenerate board
>>
>>80764252
seems unlikely to be real but thumbs up for breakbot
>>
I'll share shit with my one brother and to a lesser extent my parents, but usually they don't really like or give a shit about what I listen to

Managed to get my brother into Yes for a bit, though, despite that not being the type of music he listens to usually
>>
>>80760475
Wow your whole family has shit taste, gratz
>>
My dad likes Mac DeMarco, he likes the style of guitar playing. Him and my mum both like Leon Bridges. I buy my mum new Sam Smith shit when it comes out. I showed my cousin(s) After Laugher and she/they loved it. I showed my brother, who DJ's at shitty local bars Mall Grab and DJ Seinfeld and he loved that. He also dug Vega Intl. Nite School.

You autists just don't know you families that well, and focus too much on getting other people to like your weird/pretentious bullshit. nb.
>>
File: 1526005296529.jpg (89 KB, 670x744)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>implying I have a healthy relationship with my family
>>
>>80762852
Same for my step sister, she's turbo pleb but she likes some death grips songs I told her to listen
>>
>>80766543
this. I don't talk to any of them
>>
>>80760475
All basic shit :(
>>
Dad:
Autopsy
Bathory
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Megadeth
Metallica
Slayer

Mom:
David Bowie
Duran Duran
Elton John
Tears For Fears
Toto

Older Brother:
Death Grips
Hopsin
J. Cole
KMFDM
Metallica
Odd Future
Tech N9ne

Me:
Fleet Foxes
MGMT
Radiohead
Vampire Weekend
Ween
>>
File: bully.png (99 KB, 228x225)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>80766041
Same here, especially because I'm living in Austria and my parents can't understand English.

>>80765838
>>80765967
>>
>>80759531

uh kinda, I've played the blue album in the car with my mom and she really likes it. I've tried radiohead and she hated it. She didn't like trompe le monde either.

I couldn't be assed telling her I like Big Black, Husker Du and Neutral Milk Hotel tho.
>>
>>80768049

also forgot to add that my Dad loves Floyd and Joy Division, so theres that. I liked Floyd before I knew he did and he turned me on to Joy Division.
>>
>>80759531
>Dad doesn't listen to anything that escapes the prog rock espectrum or singer-songwriter world
>Sister is fan of Kpop
>Brother believes king crimson is the only music worth of attention
>Other Brother is fan of Iron Maiden and shit local bands

Why would I even care to
>>
>>80759531
I give my little brother the online download cards for every record I buy and occasionally put some shit from soulseek onto his phone
He listens to nothing but doom metal and Car Seat Headrest right now
>>
Reminder that if you are embarrassed to play your parents your music, you are probably 14 years old and shouldn't be posting here
>>
>>80768159
I'm embarrassed to play my parents my music and I'm 19
Why should I share with him my music? The only things I shared with my dad were labeled as shit by him. Fuck him.
>>
My mom really likes shoegaze and dreampop and plays Souvlaki around the house when I’m visiting
My stepdad is really into Radiohead, NIN, and some other entry level stuff but he’s cool I guess
My dad is really into DJ shadow, J Dilla, shlohmo, Black science orchestra, and various old house artists. He also really likes sonic youth for some reason.
>>
>>80763711
based
especially if your paternal side isn't even scottish
>>
>>80767402
>being the only pleb in your family
>>
I'm kinda surprised that so many people have such based mommies, I thought mine was special. Interesting shit always playin in the house prolly why I love music desu.
My dad thinks music is for young people and women.
>>
>>80768685
ur a faggot then seriously, music tells a lot about a person, half of my friends aren't into music and i hate them for it.
>>
>>80759531
I introduced my father, the most fanatical dad-rock purveyor in existence perhaps, to Ambient to help him sleep at night. He enjoys it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PArKsrSvFec
>>
only my based patrician younger brother and sometimes my mom when it’s a genre i know she likes.
>>
>>80760475
Your family is /mu/?
>>
>>80759531
Sometimes depending on famililam n such
>>
>>80765121
sorry for your loss anon
>>
>>80769630
>half of my friends aren't into music and i hate them for it.
lol chill, not everyone has to enjoy what you enjoy. Should your friends be angry at you if you didn't like sports?
>>
>>80769630
Dude some peoples families can be straight up cruel about things they like, it's not fun when tour dad "catches" you listening to your music and calls you a fuckin faggot or laughs at you and rolls his eyes when you try to have an opinion about music. I learned watching that shit happen to my older bro to keep shit I like private.
>>
>>80769580
my dad is the same, my mom doesn’t necessarily like all my music but she certainly appreciates it and i can actually have a conversation with her about it. my dad just makes fun of me
>>
My parents think listening to music is a sin
>>
>>80770091
No they don't
>>
>>80770091
what religion?
>>
>>80770185
Islam
>>
>>80769630
You probably have shit taste though.
>>
>>80759531
Yeah, I show a lot of music to my sister and vice versa, our tastes don't really overlap that much but it can be cool to listen to stuff you'd never seek out on your own.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 530x520)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>80769838
Dang thanks anon.
>>
>>80759531
yup
>dad
capt. beefheart
residents/snakefinger
television
joy division
stooges/iggy
my bloody valentine
>mom
depache mode
devo (a whole lot)
bowie
mac demarco
burzum (lol)
dj screw (lol)

>sister
some kendrick lamar and thats it. musical black sheep of the family
>>
>>80770960
your mom is she from houston?
>>
>>80763692
you deserve to be mocked for liking Jeff Buckley
>>
>>80760475
>>80765787
>>80765899
Lemme fugg ur Mom/sister
>>
>>80759531
Dad has good taste:
David Bowie
Tom Waits
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen

All my mum listens to is 80s pop.

My brother listens to anime music and video game soundtracks only.
>>
>>80759531
tried to they dont really like it when i show them though so i just stopped

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.