[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

I just got some wheels for my road bike but they take tubular tires. Any recommendations for tubular tires that work well on the road?
I have no brand loyalty, just want something good.
>inb4 hurr get clincher rims. Im not gonna go into why I got tubular rims but i need suggestions and changing wheels isn't an option.
>>
Any non conti will do
>>
>>1212456

Why would anyone go with clincher wheels over tube?
>>
>>1212465
Easier to install for a casual rider
>>1212464
are continentals really that bad? I know they're kind of a meme around here, but never used them before.
Never had tubulars myself so I really don't know whats good.
Seeing a few panaracers but they seem like what ive found aren't too ideal for the road.
>>
>>1212456
Well whatever you get you'll want to buy some Stan's sealant to put in them as well because otherwise you get a puncture out on the road somewhere and have no sealant in them to save you, you're either calling for a ride or walking home.

Oh and also enjoy paying more for the same tires because they're tubular, and also enjoy having to spend 24 hours minimum when you install new tires because of the glue as opposed to 10 minutes for clinchers.
>>
>>1212478
Conti haters think everything they make are gatorskins, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the GP 4000 IIs and plan to throw some of the 25mm ones on my road bike once the literally who brand 23s I have on it now wear out.
>>
>>1212487
I'm not interested in why you think tubulars aren't better, but thanks for the advice on the sealant.
>>1212490
cool, thanks!
>>
Specialized Turbo Cotton

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/specialized-turbo-cotton-2016
>>
>>1212490
so what's up this board's ass with gators exactly?
>>
>>1212490
so you have a litterally who tires that served you well and you are fancying buying some memebrand just because you are a good boi? lel
>>
>>1212644
They suck and normies won't admit it
>>
>>1212647
I have had gators for 3 months and they're working great for me :^)

My next tyres will be Planet X Mile Munchers though.
>>
>>1212647
>suck
but in what way? genuinely curious btw
>>
>>1212490
Everything they make are gskins just with slightly different casings.

Anyway for tubs get specialized, veloflex, or challenge.
>>
Durano > Gaytorskins
>>
File: vittoria CORSA.jpg (21 KB, 640x512)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1212456
>>
>>1212644
>>1212647
>>1212721
>>1212722
>>1212723

>so what's up this board's ass with gators exactly?

They are polarising thats why. I have them on my commuter, my brother got a pile of them cheap from a bike shop that was shutting down and i did not pay retail. Last week i ran over a fucking industrial staple! I didnt get a flat, just two big holes in the tire. Havent had a flat for 3 years cause of them.

Unfortunately they arent fast and have 18.5 watts of rolling resistance. Problem is most people running them have no concept of what a fast tire is and proclaim them as da best evar. Also they get a bad rep through their association with fixed gear culture because they handle skids.

Do they get shilled a bit too hard by newbies ? Yes, but they are a durable tire and thats the point. If you want fast tires got bicycle rolling resistance and keep going up the table to what you can afford. But for the casual non competitive rider tubular is just not worth it... same with ghetto tubeless.... headaches when things go wrong.
>>
>>1212901
thanks for answering anon, wanted to make sure i wasn't riding on deathtraps or something
>>
>>1212490
GPS are amazing if you do serious miles. I want to try the conti race tires one day. They do cost more.
>>
>>1212901
>18.5 watts
Jesus ....that's sad. If a gator hater thinks a few watts will help him, he is seriously mistaken.
Gators are meant for commuting and training anyway, not competing
>>
>>1213097
>he thinks tires are all about rolling resistance
>ignores traction and feel of stiff af duraskin side wall, 180tpi carcass, and outdated compound
>>
>>1212721
They feel like shit
If you haven't tried anything else you probably won't notice it since you wouldn't know any better, but after riding on something half decent then going back to them, they feel like riding on rubber hoses. They also have terrible grip.
>>
>>1213115
does your "something half decent" have the ability to do this:
>Last week i ran over a fucking industrial staple! I didnt get a flat, just two big holes in the tire. Havent had a flat for 3 years cause of them.
>>
>>1213121
No
I've had zero punctures this year, and I've only ridden over an industrial staple once in my life though, so I'm not too worried. I'll take the odd puncture every few months over no punctures and shit ride quality.
>>
>>1213121
Literally haven't had a puncture caused by something piercing the tire in over 10 000 km on supple race tires with minimal puncture protection. The only flats have been old tubes failing and one snakebite thanks to hitting a pothole at 45 km/h. Literally ridden 2 sets of Veloflexes and one Vittoria Corsa to the casing.
>>
>>1212901
I haven't gotten a flat in years because I dont ride like a retard
>>
>>1213121
>tfw when riding back home and riding throught a 200ft long parking lot absolutely filled with glass shards from broken beer bottles(hooray for beach parties).
>The sound of green and brown glass shards under my tires for the entire lenght.
>mfw no punctures

Thanks Schwalbe!
>>
>>1213140
>I haven't gotten a flat in years because I don't ride
ftfy
>>
>>1212901
>Last week i ran over a fucking industrial staple! I didnt get a flat, just two big holes in the tire. Havent had a flat for 3 years cause of them.
Throughout 2 years of riding my old ultrasports I only ever had one (1) puncture thru a splinter-like glass shard going in the tyre deep.
Think of it whatever you want.
>>
>>1214191
>Think of it whatever you want.
I think that that you only had one(1) puncture in 2 years while riding on old continental ultra sports caused by a splinter-like glass shard going in the tire deep.
>>
File: 20180716_192854.jpg (1.54 MB, 2693x2133)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
sup faggots
>>
>>1212456
What does /n/ think of pic related?
>>
>>1214287
Good but discontinued. Pro4 replaced it. Also good.
>>
>>1212465
Even pros say tubular tubes are shit if you don't have a support car. Tubulars are a meme outside racing.
>>
>>1214262
Schwalbe
>>
>>1212901
Can someone explain what ghetto tubeless vs proper tubeless is? Thanks
>>
>>1214371
both are more trouble than it's worth
>>
>>1214299
Shows you how far out of the loop I am, haha
>>
File: GhettoFold.gif (62 KB, 300x199)
62 KB
62 KB GIF
>>1214371

Proper Tubeless is a Fully integrated Manufacturer system of tire, clincher, rim design, valving and sealant goop to be tubeless. Its a top down thing that you normally buy with a new bike.

Ghetto Tubeless is where you get a standard tire tube and wheel and make it tubeless. Its actually very easy. You just carefully cut the tube length wise and fold it back over the rim. install the tire and pour in silicone sealant and then you hit with a big charge of air from a compressor, spin and let the sealant do its thing.

http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

I ran ghetto tubeless with serfas drifters for a few years, but the stans sealent is pricey has a shelflife does neeed replenishing every few months (which can be a pain) and is a total mess if you want to go back to tubes (which i did)

It makes for a fast wheel with a different feel ... it saved me from a wood screw puncture twice but can become not reliable if you dont keep up maintenance. I have no idea how it compares to true tubeless system from a manufacturer.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.