[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Attention: All work safe boards are soon going to be on the 4channel.org domain.

For now, all boards are accessible through either domain.

Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Considering we're mostly the products of English convicts/settlers and Europeans, you'd think we'd have a comfy af public transport system, yet it's terrible.

In my city of Adelaide, we have like six train lines (and one of those, the Tonsley line, doesn't even count cos it goes along the Seaford line before splitting away for like three stops before terminating), only one of them is electrified (the others are diesel powered) and the train cars look like they're straight out of the Soviet Union). Unlike in England where I could take a comfy train from London to York or some shit and see all sorts of countryside or whatever, in Adelaide it's nothing but concrete jungle and derroland (unless you're on the Belair line, but no one cares about that line). Honestly wanna live in England for a year or two, all I'd do is take kino as fuck trains everywhere and go all over the country.

On top of that, the stations are all run down and disgusting. The pic is of the station I'm going from or to regularly. There's derros everywhere, the lift is broken and smells like piss and shit and it's fucking disgusting. Why can't us Aussies have a kino train experience?

Also Australian transport thread. Talk about Aussie trains, trams, buses and other things about public transport in Straya.
>>
Shit population density
>>
>>1247214
well you cant do much about the geography lol no point complaining about that

as for the trains themselves, lack of investment really. Governments in Sydeny and Melbourne are only starting to invest massively in it now because of population pressures
>>
>>1247230
sydney* sorry

Victoria would have some decent scenery along the bendigo line since it passes through the macedon ranges, but I haven't used it so I'm not 100% sure I just know the macedon ranges are pretty kino

I didn't know that adelaide had only one electrified line. Is it that underused?
>>
>>1247231
The electrified line is always pretty full; I've taken it in peak hour at the end of a work day and it's been like sardines packed into a tin.

Northern lines get hectic too. Belair isn't that packed, Tonsley is barely used.
>>
>>1247214
>products of English convicts/settlers and Euros
You'd be surprised how much of an American touch we have to our urban planning and attitudes to public transport. Seems like everyone in this country wants their own backyard and space to park 5 cars out away from their CBD. Using public transport and not owning a car is seen as something only the poor do unless you're part of a specific niche like the hipsters in the north of Melbourne.

Intuition tells me that the culture I've described above means that not enough people are willing to put the effort into making our public transport run like clockwork; a lot of people using it are just saving for a car or something. Then we have a rotten bunch of pollies who are disinterested in investing in public transport that works. See: le Brisbane bus stacking and 'metro'. Basically, blame the boomers as usual.

People really aren't willing to make public transport work for their commute either. If you have to take a bus at one end (god forbid both ends) of your commute, then people just give up and would rather take a car. Too many people live too far from the stations and figure why catch a bus to the station when they have a convenient car just sitting in their driveway?

Talked to a lady at work who said she lived about a kilometre away from a busway station in Brisbane's southeast, but when I said she would probably have to change buses to get to our office in the inner north, her interest just shut down like (paraphrase) "no way, that'd never work for me, I'd rather just drive my car".

Never underestimate the laziness of people who own cars.
>>
File: IMG_20180401_160323929.jpg (2.71 MB, 5344x3006)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
at least Adelaide city has functioning tram lines running throughout the city...

rip old sydney tram lines
>>
>>1247252
desu I'm guilty of not wanting to take the bus too. In my case, it's too infrequent where I live so I dont bother, and some buses take ridiculously long routes for a short distance. Then you've got that catch 22 where you can add more services to entice people to catch the bus, or risk wasting a lot of money because the demand isnt there.

I do see a lot of people complaining about the public transport here in Melbourne, and I'm not an inner north hipster so there is a significant amount of people who give a shit which is a promising sign. Plus, since the election is next month a lot of cool shit is being announced. Your gut reaction is probably going to be "oh they wont do half that shit anyway" but our current premier has delivered on the vast majority of his promises so far, so things look good.
>>
>>1247290
Have fun watching all that crumble cos Labor are gonna get voted out thanks to the anti-African migrant hysteria.
>>
>>1247301
Daniel Andrews can always convince the population that the airport rail is being built solely to transport them back home
>>
>>1247247
Interesting. Have they looked at adding extra services for that line? I assume electrification will come with demand.
>>
>>1247511
Don't quote me on this but with three lines to Seaford and departures from the city every 15 minutes (at least at clock off time), they might be a bit maxed out.

Tbh it's not like we can really have much of a national network. Apart from NSW and Victoria, most of the nation doesn't even bother pretending that there isn't fucking shitloads of empty uninhabitable space inbetween each major population area.

If England wasn't such a cucked Orwellian nightmare I'd move over there ASAP.
>>
>>1247605
Queensland has multiple decent sized cities along the coast, I can see something working there.

As with south australia, unfortunately there is pretty much nothing apart from adelaide, the barossa valley and mt gambier.

If you want super dense cities and towns packed together then yeah, Europe's your best shot. Best of luck to you
>>
File: Auburn-towards-city-2.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Post your local railway station, past or present.
Used to love Auburn (Melbourne). Catch Alamein trains home and avoid the peak-hour rush, plus 5 minute headways going to the city until 9:00.
>>
>>1247635
That station looked vaguely Irish to me until I realised that Broad Gauge in Australia is identical to Irish Gauge (5 foot 3 inches).
After looking it up though, it seems to be isolated to Victoria, parts of Southern Australia and New South Wales.
>>
>>1247614
Will England ever get uncucked? I just wanna ride some kino trains through some quaint villages without being spied on.
>>
>>1248287
I don't know why you're asking me lol
>>
>>1248350
Well as a European, do you think England will ever uncuck itself?
>>
Can you smell the diesel fumes from here anons?
>>
>>1248373
lmao I'm not european, I'm australian
>>
>>1248397
Ah fuck

I might go over anyway if I can do an exchange
>>
>>1248694
go for it man

the only european public transport I used was in croatia. trams in zagreb were alright but the buses around the country were god awful, obviously in most other european countries it would be way better
>>
/laborshill/ here but he's done it again

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-21/new-melbourne-level-crossing-removals-to-include-sky-rail/10401896

>25 additional level crossing removals
>more bona fide, electrified, six-car skyrail

At least they're finally getting rid of Union/Mont Albert roads in Surrey Hills, fuck the nimbys but they're an absolute nightmare in peak.
>>
>>1248805
sky rail is going over all the inner north which is full of lefties so they probably won't care
>>
File: bucket brain.jpg (54 KB, 500x500)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1247223
>OP talking about a city

>muh small national population density
>>
>>1248373
I'm English,ask away
>>
>>1248388
How frequent are your diesel lines?
I'm on a mission to prove that my local diesel line (UK) is the only line like it in the world.
>>
>>1249044
In Victoria you'll find there's a big difference in frequency depending how far out from Melbourne you go.

South Geelong/Waurn Ponds services are very frequent but the Albury service only runs 3 times a day (6 times if you count UP and DOWN) as a loco-hauled service and another additional UP/DOWN pair as a DMU between Seymour and Melbourne and coach between Seymour and Albury.

Contrast that with 32 Waurn Ponds UP services on weekdays or even more from Geelong, or Wyndham Vale.

Do some work yourself too, you can get all of V/Line's timetables from their website.
>>
>>1249055
thanks
>>
>>1248964
Will England ever uncuck itself?
>>
>>1247214
DESU that looks like one of them jap chink stations and them chinks have great trains so that must be a great train station IMO.
>>
>>1247214
Is that a cheeky spanish solution? perhaps you south australians are slightly more civilised than I thought
>>
>>1248902
Melbourne has 453 people per square kilometer. London has 1,500 per square kilometer.

Only Sydney is properly populated, at 1,200 per square kilometer.
>>
At least Australia has trains at all. That station looks gorgeous compared to anything in the US
>>
>>1249555
melbourne is 500km/2 and sydney is 415km/2 as per wikipedia, both very low
>>
>>1247214
>living in Noarlunga
>calling other people derros
Ha, good one anon!
>>
File: skyrail_stations.jpg (182 KB, 1280x720)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
what do you guys think about skyrail? personally I'm all for it, because the view is better and overall passenger experience is far superior to being stuck underground in a trench.
>>
>>1249458
Welp, someone got fucking murdered there yesterday

gr8 job Noarlunga
>>
>>1250017
itll be good when they run the high capacity trains with the new signaling, because its separate from the road now they will be able to run every 2/3 minutes
>>1250030
F
>>
>>1250017
Good as long as it has continuous bike paths beneath it and it doesn't end up full of graffiti and junkies. Maybe add some playgrounds and parks around it too to help that.
>>
>>1250157
that's what they said they were going to do, put a bunch of parks underneath it
>>
>>1247214
Only countries with very high population density and concentration benefit from HSR
>>
>>1250286
A case can be made for Sydney-Melbourne, since it's one of the busiest air routes in the world. There are also towns/cities along the line that can benefit from it.
>>
All the transportation money for Melbourne went to trams so you have to use cheapo Soviet union gulag transport trans
>>
>>1250299
soon
>>
>>1250293
It's called the XPT. Are you willing to spend the money to get the 960 km of track between Sydney and Melbourne up to a decent high speed rail standard? How will improving the speed between the two ends help the majority of its users? At a guess, I'd say most passengers are people living in towns without airports, people who can get discounted fares - like pensionors - or people bringing a lot of luggage for cheap compared to the air fare. It's not really people who are looking to save a lot of time - they're the ones who catch planes.

The main argument I could see behind upgrading the XPT is to fund regional development and decentralisation away from the capitals by giving people access to public transport outside of them. Unfortunately, contrary to the goal of increasing urban density, higher speed rail may have the opposite effect - making outlying towns like Seymour, Wangaratta, Mittagong, Goulburn, Newcastle, Woolongong into commuter dormitories for Sydney and Melbourne.

It'd take a lot of push to convince people to take the train all the way between Sydney and Melbourne when flying is so much faster. Politicians would rather spend money on airport expansion than funding high speed rail. Interstate rail is really a bit of a dead concept in this country, and you'd have to find some exceptional reasons to bring it back to mainstream use.
>>
>>1250301
So disappointed that they keep lumping for the chinese manufacturers
>>
File: hcmt newport.jpg (1.58 MB, 4032x3024)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>1250301
s o o n
>>
>>1250157
Why does it trigger you if people express themselves artistically around the stations?
>>
>>1250663
not him but 95% of it is shitty tags. not everything looks like hosier lane
>>
File: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (34 KB, 474x248)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1250523
Fucking always with the great looking imagery and then looking like shit when it comes in to reality.

>exposed aircon units
>messy underfloor electronics

the original designs looked so good
>>
>>1250663
I don't mind if it's street art murals etc, I just don't want garish black tags. In understand that people will want to decorate the concrete and leave their mark, but I want it to not be garbage thanks.
>>
File: woodford bmt.jpg (774 KB, 1920x1080)
774 KB
774 KB JPG
The only train line I've ridden here that might be considered "kino" is the Blue Mountains Line west of Sydney, and that's from a purely scenic perspective. The V set cars they run, or were running when I rode it eight or so years ago were showing their age back then. When the Zig Zag line also servicing Lithgow reopens next year it will be the best line in Australia once again in my opinion. As for everything past Penrith or Richmond into Sydney Central; it's shit. Slow and often filled with rubbish, graffiti and lebs. Perth rail is far from kino but at least it's cleaner and being a small city doesn't take forever to get to all the hubs.
>>
>literally 1 minute walk from the OUTHA line
>basically never use it ever

feels odd man

>>1250663
>grafitti
>artistic

kek
>>
>>1250754
they also managed to fuck up the stickers on the second car, the blue should point towards the ends like >> not like <>

>>1250755
I agree that proper street art is far preferable to shitty tags, but ironically wouldn't trenches provide much more available real estate to tag? And with 1000 pax/train in peak, more people would see it than the (comparatively) few living next to the rail line.
>>
>>1249555
London is disgustingly overcrowded. Nothing Hong Kong tier, but definitely too much.
Your numbers are slightly wrong.

London: 5,590/km^2
Melbourne: 500/km^2
Sydney: 415/km^2

Your point is correct but it's not a very good one in response to mine. If I dumped London in Australia I shouldn't be able to use a poor national density as justification for shit public transport.
>>
>>1250456
>upgrading the XPT
No, build a new line.
Fucking around trying to retro upgrade old lines never works, look at Germany and the UK.

>>1249447
Probably not, but it's still liveable.
>>
Legit can't find any train services apart from the six metro options and the interstate lines. Almost impossible to find bus services that operate outside of the metro. That sucks.
>>
more skyrail? more skyrail!

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10455368

assuming pakenham will be rebuilt as an elevated station ala the CD9, I'm interested to see how the 3 track layout will work.

feat. rampant nimbyism by the LNP, of course
>>
>>1251433
>Your numbers are slightly wrong.
Population density numbers are affected very much by where you draw the city boundaries, yet that's BS for working out public transit requirement. Instead ask how many people are within, say, a mile of each station, including where they live and where they work. That's still an imperfect measure, but it's got nothing like the mountain of BS that overall city population density has.
>>
>>1247214
You Aussies think you have it bad? Try our train system here in the USA which is FULL of niggers
>>
lmfao get a load of the chump above me
>>
File: puffing billy.jpg (254 KB, 1280x720)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
It must be sad being so pathetically racist.

But here in a more civilised part of the world is Puffing Billy, definitely a kino heritage railway.
>>
>>1253057
Ours have many non whites as well. It doesnt say anything about the quality of the service, as it wouldn't change no matter who is riding it. It depends on the infrastructure. Dont care if this is a bait post I have to say it because a lot of americans actually think the reason their public transport sucks is because of black people, not the physical infrastructure.
>>
>>1253204
Forgot to add, good examples are London and Paris. Both great systems but are full of non-whites.
>>
>>1247278
You're thinking of Melbourne. There is only one (1) tram line remaining in Adelaide despite it being nearly perfect for trams. The 1950s vandals tore most of them out.
>>
>>1253200
I still find it hilarious that I live extremely close to Puffing Billy but I haven't traveled on it in like 10 years.

I can see why the tourists love it to bits though.
>>
>>1253204
>>1253205
Well it matters to me because I want to be safe, you can have the best transport system in the world but when you are riding with non-whites, who are generally low class and uncivilized, drug addicts and wiggers it does affect the quality of the service. Thats why I enjoy European infrastructure because besides the capitals, there's only civilized whites there and I feel safe
>t. American who goes between South Florida and Galicia a lot
>>
>>1254870
You're an idiot and missing the point. Australian race relations and North American race relations are different. In NA you're segregated a lot. Australia is multicultural. There's probably more white bogans on the public transport than misbehaving africans and aboriginal people. Stop applying what happens in your country to our country.

>captcha: select all crosswalks
Yup, it's official, 'merica owns the internet and the English language.
>>
>>1247214
>city of Adelaide
Found your problem.
>>
>>1247640
What happened was that SA, Vic and NSW in the early days of rail agreed upon Irish broad gauge. Then some autistic Scottish engineer in NSW came along and ruined everything for the next 200 years
>>
>>1250523
so...is that a 'test train' or something?
>>
File: 1365134922466.png (6 KB, 429x197)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>1254870
This is some powerful fear

I bet you look like a muggable little bitch too
>>
>>1249637
what an ignorant and unqualified statement. Between philly, NYC and Boston I’ve probably seen 100 stations exactly like this
>>
>>1256897
why do americans make everything sound worse than it really is
>>
>>1257032
Grass is always greener / I enjoyed the study abroad semester Daddy paid for therefore Europe is superior / bashing America is cool for liberals / internet karma
>>
>tfw I can't catch a train from Adelaide to Victor
People have a giant boner for going to Victor in the summer, and considering how Main South Rd and Victor Harbor Rd tend to get clogged up with retard boomers towing boats and caravans at 60 or 70kmh, a train alternative would be nice.

It's a shame they closed the line. I reckon if they reopened it these days (after spending quadrillions relaying the track with modern concrete sleepers) it'd see a lot of use in summer, plus it'd probably see year-round use for people commuting to and from Strathalbyn.
>>
>>1257032
it's also a case of people from a specific region speaking on behalf of the entire country.
>>
>>1247301
What? Sorry for being off topic but why is there an anti african migrant histeria in the place farthest from africa?
>>
>>1247252
I'm in Brisbane and it takes about 45 minutes to bus into the city in the morning and around 55 minutes in the afternoon.
It takes 30 minutes by bike and 45 on the way home(I take a longer way home to avoid a really annoying hill) so it's not worth my time to take a bus even though it is direct to the city even with a ten minute shower/ironing at the end.

I don't mind the bus but I need the exercise. However when going to other parts of the city for work which would require more than one bus/train I usually just drive or get a lift and ride home. The rules about not taking a bike on the trains during peak hour also suck(I understand the logic/need for them obviously) because I'd love to take a train to the other side of the city, work all day and then ride 40kms home.

They are updating the train stations on the Ipswich line but they're not making them look much nicer than they did before, just rebuilding the shelters and painting them.
>>
>>1257277
some ended up migrating here and they got involved in robberies and now literally everything an african does ends up on the news
>>1257113
>>1257256
fair enough, I always find that shit cringe. I know america has similar systems to aus in their big cities, although apart from NYC ours cover more suburbs

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.