[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: signals.jpg (90 KB, 1697x693)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Do u guys use proper hand signals or just point to where ur going? I feel like the avg cagie might not see them enough to recognize them
>>
File: 1692480635687452.jpg (44 KB, 640x552)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1954083
I hardly ever ride in the city. But when I do I make sure to point in the direction and look back to make eye contact with drivers behind me. Don't trust anyone.
>>
I will for left turns
They are also useful on busy multi use bike paths with turnoffs so you can let the people behind you know your slowing down to take a turnoff
>>
>>1954083
Just 1 (fltr) and 3 when turning. 2 is quite stupid and 4 is not visible for the cagie behind me.
>>
I use all signals almost all the time while riding in my suburban environment (town of ~40,000, surrounded by similar towns of 10,000-20,000 and bordering a small city of 200,000).
>>
I don't use hand signals at all.
>>
>>1954083
In Michigan they are part of the theoretical driver's exam. However I also don't use them and just point to the direction I'm going. Kek.
>>
File: 1670594597815.jpg (103 KB, 750x785)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1954083
no
>>
>>1954131
This is cool since the hand signals sometimes risk throwing u off balance
>>
>>1954138
yes, and if the car is close, the headlights will be too low
>>
>>1954093
yeah you wouldn't want to do 4 going dh at 50km/h while holding the handlebar and braking with just the right hand to stop at a crossroad..
>>
Pointing is fine on bicycle. The Hitler salute right turn only exists because driver's arms aren't long enough to stick out the passenger window.
>>
>>1954083
I don't have money, but I want BMW. But it doesn't prevent me from training not to use blinkers on bicycle before I get BMW.
>>
File: bikesurfing.png (1.36 MB, 885x1311)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>1954131
You're a fool if you think this is more visible in any normal light condition.

Even a (poor) backup solution for night riding really. A braking feature on a taillight can be understood by other road users with enough variation in pattern and brightness but unless you have them mounted far apart turn signals will never be reliably interpretable from a meaningful distance.

>>1954138
>>1954157
Obviously, there are times when you want or need both hands for control (in the turn itself, over rather rough, loose, and/or wet surface) but if your bike is properly adjusted and you have even the minimum bike handling ability you should be able to give a well timed signal (before the action being telegraphed). Even a momentary one provides more information than none, but holding it for longer shouldn't be hard and giving yourself the opportunity to do so isn't difficult really. People ride with no hands on the bars at all so this is more an excuse to me when it comes to ordinary riding in built up areas with intersections. You can have whatever reason or preference you like not to use signals, but I think loss of control overestimated - the most common reason for the latter is typically people riding outside of their abilities.
>>
File: hazards.png (61 KB, 294x238)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
I use them. Well, not the bent-arm-right-turn one, because >>1954164
I was watching YouTube videos of a French cyclist, and he mentioned they had an extra hand signal there, see picrel.
It's interesting I never see it used in my city, since in his videos people are doing it all the time (and not simply because the roads are shittier)
>>
>>1954083
as an urban cyclist who mainly cycles on a city with the worst bike lanes ever, the non-bent turns are really useful because cagies actually see your signal and act accordingly, but sadly not alot do it in my city like >>1954205
>>
only place is signal regularly is on the highway when going from a shoulder over the exit lane.
>>
>>1954205
I've seen a few cyclists use the road hazard sign in Philadelphia. I use it myself because the roads are terrible here and I don't want the guy behind me to eat shit if he isn't being vigilant about potholes. The slowing down / stopping signal is more useful.
>>
>>1954205
This is standard on any group ride with a modicum of quality.
>>
>>1954185
>blahblah
>no
but
>yeah
>invisible
>clown on a bike
fucking retards
do whatever you want, clown; it's your ass.
>>
>>1954083
I just extend my arms to indicate turns or lane changes. I've been thinking about picking up one of those little light rigs that imitate car signals so cagies will notice them more easily and so I can signal without taking my hands off the bars, but my bike is already covered in a bunch of accessories.
>>
File: lefturn.jpg (3.42 MB, 2259x1835)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
>>
>>1954244
This
>>1954532
>he's coming straight at you, what do you do!
>>
Depends on situation. If there's another car at the intersection I'll telegraph clearly which direction I'm headed, usually with a point.
>>
>>1954205
At critical mass see some people doing this. But it's always packed so not always apparent within the crowd.
>>
>>1954083
>point left with left if going left
>point right with right if going right
This is only if I'm seriously fighting for my life in heavy traffic, most conditions don't really need a lot of signaling. There's no fucking chance that the average car driver knows what that dumb bent arm means. I've seen a friend get almost taking out while signaling ""properly"" before, I'll never do it
>>
>>1954532
>Asymmetrical tires
Bacon what is you doing ??
>>
>>1954083
I use them on my motorcycle because I don't have working turn signals on muh croozer. Its slow with big fenders, so I just larp like its a classic. Most people understand what I'm doing, but its damn funny when people think I'm giving them shit in traffic when I signal right. My city is infested with retard cyclists who don't understand hand signals either, so its just fun for me.
>>
At best cagers don't know or car, at worst, as is usually the case, they think I'm flipping them off or telling them to back off.
Just better to be a ghost
>>
>>1954083
I have literally never used the stop signal, any car driver should swiftly realise when a cyclist is braking or else they need to relinquish their licence
>>
>>1954083
I started doing left and right and I see other people do it more and more.
>>
>>1954083
I point my index finger at 45 degree angle down relative to myself
>>
Report from the roads.

Yesterday I was driving on 50km/h road. I came to a crosswalk, riding on the sidewalk next to the road was a bicyclist, who signalled his intention to cross the crosswalk. Him giving the signal gave me ample time to slow down and stop, and he was able to cross the road safely without having to come to a complete stop.
>>
If there are cars, usually.
Whenever I signal that I'm going to turn right, I get confused drivers hesitantly waving back.
I'm not greeting you. I'ts a turn signal.
I don't signal for stops. If I'm stopping, the vehicle behind me will be having to, as well.
Gg2v8
>>
>>1955859
unfortunately the average driver isn't that observant. I have realised in recent years that when it comes to operating The Two Ton Metal Box the bar is pretty fucking low, pardon my fr*nch.
>>
>>1954093
2 is for motorcycle riders, idk why you would do that on a pushy
>>
I use them when I can but what are you supposed to do on roundabouts? I'm not able to turn with one hand and indicate with the other at the same time, it becomes a big problem if you're turning right (I live in a left-hand side of the road driving country) and there's a car coming head on at you. Usually I'll just let them go through but it's obviously an issue if there's also a car behind you on the roundabout because they don't expect someone to give way when you're on a roundabout
>>
>>1954083
Doesn't 2 mean "Stop"?
>>
>>1957053
In roundabouts just bike in the middle of the lane you're supposed to be in.
Isn't the entire design of roundabouts to ensure the only potential traffic conflict is as you enter the roundabout? Once you're in the roundabout, all you need to worry about is "don't rear-end the person in front of you."
As long as you are in the middle of the lane and provide no space for someone to cut around you, all they can do is wait for you to make your way through and exit.
Then again, we don't have any roundabouts that are too crazy here. At most two lanes, with the rightmost lane always forced to exit at the next exit and the leftmost lane able to make any turn unobstructed (because the rightmost is forced to exit).
>>
File: single-lane-lg.gif (37 KB, 700x699)
37 KB
37 KB GIF
>>1957058
It's a bit hard to explain if you aren't used to roundabouts but the issue is if you're not indicating when you enter a roundabout then people will assume you're going straight through it, and so if someone is coming from the opposite direction they'll enter it even when you're in there because they know you aren't going to cross their path.
But if you are in fact going to take the third exit/ turn left (in a right hand side drive country, like this diagram) then you need to indicate left, so purple would be doing this and blue would know not to enter the roundabout if purple is already on it. But if purple wasn't indicating and was on the roundabout blue would enter thinking that purple is going to go straight through and they won't cross paths, do you follow?
There's lots of small single lane roundabouts where I live where people drive according to this logic
>>
>>1957059
If you're in Australia you just have to be careful cycling on roundabouts because it genuinely doesn't matter what vehicle you're on or in every cunt here is absolute dogshit at using roundabouts.
>>
>>1957060
Yeah people seem to have very different takes on how roundabouts work, it differs a lot by state as well
>>
>>1954138
No one ever lost control hand signalling
>>
I salute the fuhrer when I make a left turn. I don't think cagers understand hand signals anymore and just assume I'm being weird because they usually just cut me off.
>>
>>1957059
Then your drivers are retarded (as confirmed >>1957060)
Here, no one enters a roundabout until they are sure they aren't going to interfere with other traffic.
And no one signals while entering a roundabout, at most only when they are exiting. Because there's only one place you can go from the entrance of a roundabout, and that's into the roundabout.
I just looked it up to double check, and the official driver's manual for my jurisdiction omits any mention of "signal" while approaching a roundabout, and then explicitly says "signal" when exiting a roundabout.
But also, how fast are you traveling that getting cut-off by a driver would be a potential collision? Like, yeah, it's a little annoying having to brake, but if this is a heart-stopping occurrence that keeps happening, maybe the answer is to slow down a bit more if you see a car looking menacing?
>>
>>1957126
> and the official driver's manual for my jurisdiction omits any mention of "signal" while approaching a roundabout, and then explicitly says "signal" when exiting a roundabout
I'm really surprised by that, I thought this was a universal rule. What country do you live in? It sounds completely different to here, maybe because we have a lot of small suburban roundabouts and doing your method would lead to a huge backlog at every one
>And no one signals while entering a roundabout
You absolutely have to do that here, see:
https://youtu.be/sCXtcXD17qU?si=En-WCt7xCHP_WSCY
>Here, no one enters a roundabout until they are sure they aren't going to interfere with other traffic.
Well yeah the point is if you see someone indicating in a way where they won't cross your path than you can enter the roundabout
>But also, how fast are you traveling that getting cut-off by a driver would be a potential collision? Like, yeah, it's a little annoying having to brake, but if this is a heart-stopping occurrence that keeps happening, maybe the answer is to slow down a bit more if you see a car looking menacing?
It's the car behind me I'd be worried about, they just wouldn't anticipate a person in front of them on a roundabout giving way to someone about to enter a roundabout, people can act very retarded on roundabouts here and are desperate to rush through so there's a good chance they're tailgating
>>
>>1957126
If it's an actual thought that goes through your brain to signal or to not signal, you're a fucking mouth breathing retard. Doesn't matter where or when, if you're turning, signal, this should be second nature to you. You should NOT even remember signaling, that's how ingrained it should be in an adult driver.
>>
>>1957058
>Once you're in the roundabout, all you need to worry about is "don't rear-end the person in front of you."
What if you yeild to traffic entering the circle as many circles are designed?
>>
>>1957062
I did
>>
>>1954083
Hell no
>>
>>1954087
yep fuck people/
>>
>>1954083
You should not be allowed in the road.
>>
>>1954205
Roads are for cars and larger vehicles, not bikes. Stick to streets and bike paths
>>
>>1954087
>>1961924
Still salty about that love tap jamal?
>>
>>1962084
Test,,,
>>
>>1954083
what sucks is that i know these motherfuckers read the highway code to get their licenses and therefore have seen a diagram like this but i know in my heart that if i do anything other than just point they wont know what it means
its ok though because these hand signals are designed for motorcycles where the right hand needs to stay on the throttle and brake
not rly a problem on a bicycle
so yeah i just stick my arm out and point
>>
>>1962081
who cagies?
yeah i agree they fuck up everything
>>
>>1954131
nobodies gonna see that
seriously from any distance at all its not gonna be clear whats left and whats right
itl just look like an orange flashing in the centre
i know this because i have this problem with alot of sporty motorcycles this will be even worse
if your gonna get indicators they better be on your bar ends and you should get a mirror too
>>
>>1954177
>>1954239
>>1962081
what?
>>1954643
he knows something we dont...
>>
I have found that most drivers don't understand handsignals, so I just point as they seem to understand that better.

I wish they understood stopping/slowing down hand signal, but they don't.
So I just angle the pads on my front brake so it makes a loud noise when I brake hard.
Oddly enough that seems to work.

Though if I am honist because I bike so defensively it's rare I have to signal at all. I just do it when there is a car behind me. Which is rare where I ride.
Or if I am trying to turn into somewhere that crosses car traffic.
>>
>>1954083
If I'm on a street where cars drive, I am a vehicle in the eyes of the law. Therefore, I use hand signals appropriately (if there's other people around). On MTB trails, when fucking around on a bike trail, or without a shitload of traffic? Nah.
>>
>>1954083
Nope. I can do it but one of these days a rock or something will get me killed if I'm focused on that instead of the road.
>>
>>1954138

How retarded do you have to be to lose balance and collapse just using a hand signal?
>>
>>1964652
at distance it wouldn't be needed in the first place.
this is for the city mainly; cars will be right behind you and it'll be clearly distinguishable.
>>
File: 1673588758310.jpg (31 KB, 390x521)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1954185
forget the shitty pic, under naked eye you can clearly see which side is blinking far enough for city traffic; also, orange light instantly tells yoyr intention, and since you'll naturally be approaching the side of your lane you intend to take, it won't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
>>
>>1965804
yeah a lot of the hand signal stuff is really just fred virtue signaling to show you're a good group rider because you did the correct finger waggle
>>
File: 1680345640704.png (580 KB, 1299x1296)
580 KB
580 KB PNG
>>1957053
what kind of country doesn't have priority for traffic inside the roundabout? i know France didn't, which, expectedly, turned places like Paris' Place de l'Étoile an worse nightmare than it is by nature, but they've since fixed that, iirc.
>>1957058
you're (now; it changed) supposed to yield right on your lane, here, but you have to keep at least 1.5 meters distance from them (and animal traction).
>>1957059
that's a non-issue since it's from opposite sides. priority applies to the traffic approaching your entry point coming from the roundabout, nothing else; once you're in the roundabout, general rules apply.
in your example everyone can enter the roundabout at the same time; in picrel, yellow has the priority over red and, at most, also over blue, depending on distance, speed and exit point.
>>1959120
no such thing here; priority is always for traffic inside roundabout (general rule being priority for approach from the right).
>>
File: CDG 03.jpg (743 KB, 1200x1600)
743 KB
743 KB JPG
>>1973523
>what kind of country doesn't have priority for traffic inside the roundabout? i know France didn't, which, expectedly, turned places like Paris' Place de l'Étoile an worse nightmare than it is by nature, but they've since fixed that, iirc.

In fact in France the traffic inside a roundabout have priority except for Place de l'étoile where the priority is for the guy coming from the right wich leading to a massive mess especialy if you're not used to this place/roundabout, i don't know why it's like that maybe it's historical and they don't want to change it..?
>>
>>1973526
i had the impression they had changed it there.
>>
File: bird.jpg (6 KB, 296x171)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
this is the only hand signal i use with motorists
>>
>>1974181
waste of energy and not aero
>>
anyone else feel unstable when only holding the right hand on the bar on a bike?
I can hang on with the left hand by itself perfectly fine, idk why I have this kind of hand preference when I'm right handed for most everything else
>>
File: 63546.jpg (179 KB, 1233x1308)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
I feel like a clever little shit when I'm wearing these gloves and just turning my hand back and forth to show palm and top alternatingly to my rear, like a blinking turn signal, showing yellow then black, yellow, then black
I wonder if anyone ever notices it more than a regular hand signal
>>
>>1957053
Indicate before entering the roundabout (if that's customary in your country), and right before you exit the roundabout (after passing the last exit you are not taking).
>>
>>1954083
Hand Signals are useless because drivers don't know what they mean.
>>
File: starise.jpg (3.81 MB, 3027x1815)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>1977464
>this kind of hand preference
frisbeeride,,,sword hands,,buttslaping.,
,,,horse reins heldin left hand to lasooo,shot,drink with righthand.,
,now,,,,TEXT!
>>1979115
yournot,,connecting,,,,reachingin the cage and feeling theiritablity,,needing human touchthat you can givevenow.,as the lowest of the low, people feelok aboutalking ,allwaves ,,villagediot.,
,,personaly,love,,,,,every one.
>>
I let them go unless they wave me by. I don't want to lose face to face in a match vs a car.
>>
>>1965804
I once had a guy in a ford expedition yell at me for not signaling a lane change (there was a cage blocking the right lane and I was going at roughly the same speed as the other vehicles but apparently cageoids lose their ability to infer the likely maneuvers of vehicles around them when those vehicles weigh less than 7,500 pounds)
>>
bump
>>
>>1954131
is there a more visible version of this?
>>1954185
I've almost lost balance the few times I tried to signal right. depending on the situation, I pick the following options:

1. if I'm turning right, I'll go in the middle or as far to the right of the lane as possible and look over my right shoulder a couple of times so the driver behind me gets the idea. I've also started stretching my right leg out to make it more obvious

2. if I'm taking the right exit at a mini roundabout, I'll either do the same as above or stop and extend my right arm
>>
>>1985570
Best bet would be to weld a second handlebar onto the back of your bike and replace the grips with light sets.
>>
File: Lumos Firefly.png (493 KB, 768x375)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>>1985571
what about these lumo lights?
>https://uk.ridelumos.com/products/lumos-firefly
>>
>>1985570
yes, there's ones that are detachable.
>>
Yes I always Heil Hitler using the correct arm to indicate my turns.
>>
File: 1697691411168.jpg (3.51 MB, 4032x3024)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
>>1985570
>>1985620
just got pic rel for 7,61 €, on AliExpress (3 for 4.49 $), but don't think they're still available for that price (maybe they'll be again later)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.