[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

how does the USA improve ridership experience on public transit? its no secret that compared to japan and nonparis yurop, the ridership experience on US transit is incredibly bad and preventing people from riding
>>
There is no easy solution for most of the US because of land use and street design that make any kind of public transit difficult to access and slow unless you can find dedicated space for it.
In places designed before the 1950's there's no insoluble engineering problem: you could make transit work by increasing bus frequency dramatically or putting streetcars back in, but that requires convincing local residents and businesses that there would be an advantage to making a change from the way things have been done the past 70 years and overcoming jurisdictional problems.
And then there are social problems that have nothing to do with transit itself: where I used to live the city tried and then gave up on running free circulator busses downtown and to popular tourist areas because they quickly become 'rolling homeless shelters.'
>>
>>1969287
According to alon levy, just put all old people in nursing homes and euthanize all the cripples. Then we can have walkable cities where job creators can build baby build. Oh also the transit systems should only stop where single military aged men in the fintech sector would ordinarily choose to go. Wework spaces, barcade, equinox, you know, where normal people hang out. Also ban any laws that specify how real estate developers should act, while strengthening laws against being an individual property owner and ban all renter protections because they’re communist. Also billions of dollars of tax incentives for developers
>>
>>1969293
>just kill all the old people!
Why stop there?
Round up all the useless people and kill them too.
We can start with you. Please do your part for the planet and our civilzation and kill yourself.
>>
>>1969295
I’m well aware of the yimby desire to exterminate people like me. Why would you think this is news?
>>
segregation on mass transit would solve 99% of mass transit issues in the US
>>
Not going to happen.
It's too slow, we have to go too far, and someone is doing drugs/smoking/etc.
Bus rides are right there next to walking. Shorter distances I would rather walk. Longer, bike/motorcycle fucking train, etc.

The buses don't even have the cool 90's seatcovers anymore.
>>
>>1969287
Take a page from Japan and suspend all service between 2am and 6am, use savings on security and quality of life issues.
>>
>>1969321
there aren't many transit agencies with 24-hour agencies in the US
they're more likely to have the opposite problem, where service outside of peak hours is nonexistent
>>
>>1969311
Standing room only on rail isn't any better
>>
>>1969324
Rail is much, much smoother.
>>
>>1969287
Provide everyone with UBC (Universal Basic Car) comes with the UBG.

It's well known that public transit riders are at inequality and forced to make social economic choices that put them at severe disadvantage against car users.
Pushing public transit ridership is breading inequaliy. That is very bad in the current year. Providing everyone same opportunity is the way to defeat inequality and privilege.
>>
>>1969355
No not really. It's a little better, but not much. Streetcar trains are barely any better at all.
>>
>>1969367
we already have UBC, why do you think every unemployable drunkard can drive a shitbox around and kill people and not face any consequence
>>
>>1969287
What the hell are you talking about? It's bad in Europe, too. Sure, Americans who come visit Europe feel like it's fucking awesome because they don't use the bum lines - they travel from cool place A to cool place B. Not from hood A to mall B to meet other hoodrats. Then they go back home and tell everyone how amazing it all (that "all" being upper class lifestyle) is, including transportation. Repeat until some wankjob has gathered enough "data" from his traveling friends to write a short piece on how great European public transit is, and how you can make hood-to-hood travel pleasant by increasing the distance between bus stops or something.

The only thing that's decent about European public transport is that some lines go from one good neighborhood to another. Yes, those lines are pleasant to ride. It's just about how hoods and nice places are positioned. Has nothing to do with how public transport is planned.
>>
File: vacation.jpg (185 KB, 854x608)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>1969423
Important thing to remember when browsing /n/, most of the dumbest opinions are from college students from an american flyover state who recently went on their first trip abroad

50% of this board, and 100% of the bad posting, consists of that annoying kid who won't shut up about how the light sockets were so different there and it just makes you realize we live in a society
>>
>>1969423
Depends on the country. I've found even B tier Polish cities to have enjoyable and effective transit, meanwhile Paris had some of the grungiest, scariest transit I've ever been on, even in the """nice""" areas. Tbh unless you are taking the bus to Lunik-9, I don't think this phenomenon explains the perception of transit in Europe outside Protestant Europe + France.
>>
>>1969287
>accept that american "best practices" suck and other nations do things better.
>become extremely harsh on all manner of crimes, singapore police state style, even if it disproportionately affects certain sacred cow demographics.
>copy japanese zoning types and regulations
>copy dutch CROW road/street construction guidelines
i don't see it happening anytime soon.
>>
Like anything with regards to the transit situation in the US, it's a can of worms.
But I think >>1969465 is the best tl;dr.
You can't silo the issues of safety/cleanliness, housing density/urban planning, and public transit as though they're separate issues. One necessarily follows each of the others.
>>
>>1969465
>become extremely harsh on all manner of crimes, singapore police state style
that's what US was doing up to and in the 50s, especially in regards to the 13%
>>
>>1969287
>ctrl f "nigger"
>no results
You will remain damned to a Sisyphean effort until you learn.
>>
>>1969487
Was
>blacks not allowed on transit
not on the nose enough for you?
>>
File: 59510.png (32 KB, 620x720)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>1969490
>you just had to say the quiet part out loud, huh, chud?
>>
>>1969487
F
>>
>>1969483
That's what cleaned up NYC in the 90s. All the ivory tower types living in gated/white neighborhoods whined incessantly about stop and frisk while streets got safer.
>>
>>1969423
>they travel from cool place A to cool place B. Not from hood A to mall B to meet other hoodrats. Then they go back home and tell everyone how amazing it all (that "all" being upper class lifestyle) is
You just described 99% of NJB's content
>>
>>1969287
You mean the bus that goes around our town that always has 3-6 homeless people on board and nobody else?
Yeah it's just a crime and poverty delivery system, I'd rather see it gone.
>>
>>1969287
Increase the frequency and number of places served. A huge part of why transit in the US becomes a rolling homeless shelter is that for anyone who actually needs to reach a specific place on time, transit is (usually) useless.
>>
>>1969290
Oh and that's another thing, NEVER make transit free (or provide vouchers for homeless), and always put cops actually empowered to deal with troublemakers on trains and at stations/major bus stops.
>>
>>1969623
Yeah and the issue there is that because the US is so spread out, the costs to run more services to lightly populated or lightly attractive areas is huge. Even optimistically most busses will be mostly empty almost all of the time.
>>
>>1969420
Not really. See poorfags seething and mumbling about public transit. If they had car there would be such.
>>
>>1969628
The problem though is that even places which DO have the population to support transit in the US often don't get it. Take my town for example, rapidly expanding with new apartments and businesses popping up all the time, yet thanks to the county we're in RTD won't serve us, and barely serves the nearest city (also rapidly densifying).
>>
>>1969630
I have a car, but would much rather have public transit. Driving in a place where everyone has to drive is extremely stressful and dangerous, and as such a place densifies the density of drunk/high/distracted drivers increases as well.
>>
>>1969632
>The problem though is that even places which DO have the population to support transit in the US often don't get it.
There aren't many dense places in the US.
>Take my town for example,
Denver is not very dense.
>rapidly densifying
pretty meaningless term.
>>
>how does the USA improve ridership experience on public transit?
Please just go faster. What the fuck is the point of going on a bus if I'm going to get stuck in the same bullshit traffic as a car. I don't care about wi-fi, don't care about homeless, I don't even care about getting a seat, just hurry the fuck up.
>>
>>1969637
>There aren't many dense places in the US.
Blatantly false, while single family home suburbs are definitely a thing here not every neighborhood is like that, plenty of people rent out rooms (with plenty of them illegally cramming in as many people as possible), and many such suburbs/exurbs have started allowing construction of apartments.
>Denver is not very dense.
I'm in a far exurb (hence no RTD service), and while it isn't dense here yet it's getting there. Denver itself has some extremely dense neighborhoods, and it's also going up in population
>pretty meaningless term
OK you're just a retard then, got it
>>1969736
Buses only really require road infrastructure, which basically everywhere in America already has. Maybe some dedicated bus lanes for busier routes, but those aren't expensive to build. Rail on the other hand requires either building brand new infrastructure or dealing with the freight companies, who own a lot of politicians and don't like sharing track with passenger rail.
>>
>>1969959
Blatantly true. You have no idea what you are talking about
NY, Boston, Philly, San Francisco, LA and Chicago. That's about it. Miami and Seattle are close.
>>
>>1969633
>I have a car,
But there are other people who don't. Privilege is not ok. This is why we need UBC.
>>
>>1969991
>>Privilege is not ok
Yeah yeah funny leftist larp. But what you're getting at here is that the ultimate solution would allow those who want to ride public transportation to do so on an efficient, modernized, and properly maintained system while improving the overall experience for preferential drivers.
True carbrains should WANT good public transportation .
>>
>>1970008
Everyone wants it, not everyone wants to pay for it.
>>
>>1969736
why are you riding a bus, a mode of transit that takes 8 times as long to get anywhere as a car, if you want to go fast?
>>
>>1970008
public transit will never be good. that is why the ones pushing public transit are doing it via trying to make it impossible to drive by increasing gas tax, congestion tax and taking away lanes from cars to use on useless shit like bike lanes no one uses
>>
PRT. Personal rapid transport. Small autonomous cars(larger available if you reserve) in a specialized lane/tunnel. This can take person from door to door. It's the only way to improve safety, comfort and give riders personal experience
>>
bus/train drivers carry a lethal dose of fentanyl and inject anyone playing rap music
>>
>>1970026
>useless shit like bike lanes no one uses
Yeah well we just need to induce demand harder. It's why America is so car-centric, you know. The car companies all got together and lobbied politicians into forcing people into cars, clockwork orange style. Too bad train manufacturers and the labor unions that build infrastructure didn't think to lobby anyone.
>>
>>1970037
there is a road near me that went from 3 lanes to 2 lanes plus a bike lane and I have never seen a single person biking on that road ever
>>
>>1970008
>True carbrains should WANT good public transportation
why do only transit fags shill this idea, i wonder
>>
>>1970037
>we just need to induce demand harder
And then those creatures wonder why people call them commies.
>>
>>1970026
The issue is that public transit has been pigeonholed as poor people services. On one side, this is seen as a negative to any wealthier would-be drivers, on the other side, you can't improve its efficiency for shit, like propose cutting night service and you'll get autistic screeching.
>>
>American wants to go somewhere
>Has to drive
>First worlder wants to go somewhere
>Has choice of walking, cycling, driving, busing, or taking the metro
>American thinks this shows he has freedom
>>
>>1970008
This is exactly what priveleged people would say
>you have no thing x?
>not my problem, deal with it , plebs.
This is why we need UBC. Say no to inequality!
>>
>>1970103
>Drives
>europoor has to go somewhere
>has to think about Americans
>>
>>1970140
>Drives
>Gets to place, consumes alcohol
>kills a family of four on the way home because he can't stay between the lines
>First worlder wants to go somewhere
>bikes, walks, or takes transit
>consumes alcohol
>maybe hurts himself tripping on a curb
FTFY
>>
>>1969630
Do you live in guatemala or something? Literally the most broke junkies around all have cars. Not having a car is what well off people do

t. no car home owner tired of dui losers trying to run me down in their shitboxen
>>
>>1970103
The oil lobby really fucked over American politics
>>
>>1970153
Energy is the foundation of all developed economies.
>>
>>1970147
>when I go anywhere I have to get completely wasted
>>
>>1970096
part of the reason american transit ridership is so low is it tends to be shit if you aren't a 9-to-5 commuter, retard
>>
>>1970168
Tell that to Japan.
>>
>>1970164
>missing the point this hard
You realize just getting a buzz is consuming enough to be impaired right? And this isn't limited to just alcohol, but it's an easy and common example? I don't want people on THC or prescription pain meds having to drive, or blind people having to drive, or elderly people with nil reaction times having to drive either. Making them dependent on family/friends to get around is not the answer, nor is having them pay $10-$50 per trip using a cab or rideshare. Widespread public transit with frequent service, plus dedicated bike and pedestrian paths, are the only way around that.
>>
>>1970147
>takes a taxi
this confuses and enrages the europoor
>>
>>1970171
>Making them dependent on family/friends to get around is not the answer, nor is having them pay $10-$50 per trip using a cab or rideshare
Yes it is.
>>
>>1970169
japanese transit tends to run frequent service from 5am to 1am, are you retarded?
>>
>>1970171
No he got the point, you are cherry picking and it's a weak argument worthy of mockery.
>>
>>1970156
Which is why creating artificial demand that wastes limited resources is good for the economy.
>>
>>1970187
>5 am to 1 am
You mean 5 pm to 1 am?
>>
>>1970191
>anon doesn't know what cherry-picking is
Par for the course
>>
>>1970207
Your argument is in shambles all you can do is snipe
>>
>>1970209
>desperately trying to deflect from the fact that about 30% of the US population can't drive
You're doing a whole lot "no u" and not making any actual argument. At least >>1970173
is man enough to just say fuck anyone who isn't an able-bodied adult. You're a special kind of cretin if you can't even stand by your own argument on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>1970206
no, i mean 5am to 1am
generally japanese transit systems do not operate between 1am and 5am
>>
>>1970216
30% of the US population can get by without driving, yes. Refuting your idea that a car is required in the US.
>>
>>1970218
>generally japanese transit systems do not operate between 1am and 5am
Exactly, therefore, the "I need mass transit to ferry my drunk ass home" isn't even an option in Japan.
>>
>>1970198
this might not be the dumbest board on 4chan but I don't think any other board fails to hard at trying to be smart.
>>
>>1970096
just require a $1,000 deposit to get on the bus that is returned when you get off the bus so poors can't ride
>>
>>1970103
with a car you can go anywhere you want
>>
>>1970147
>living in yurope is so terrible all yuropeans must drink to excess whenever they leave the house
>first world countries like the US have taxis and uber
>>
>>1970171
>You realize just getting a buzz is consuming enough to be impaired right?
an adult man needs like 3 or 4 beers in under an hour before he is not legally allowed to drive
>I don't want people on THC
weed use should unironically be a capital punishment. all violent criminals smoke weed and there is an undeniable connection between weed and violent crime. If someone is pulled over while driving on weed the cops should be legally required and allowed to just shoot the weed addict in the head right there in the ditch by the side of the road
>Widespread public transit with frequent service, plus dedicated bike and pedestrian paths, are the only way around that.
>the only solution is to make traffic slower
>>
>>1970169
>>1970187
>>1970206
>>1970218
>>1970257
how the fuck am I supposed to do vid related?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INNkO4WnBT8
>>
>>1970271
Because they built it like that lol
You ain't driving on dirt trails of desire, you're driving on government-poured asphalt
>>
>>1970310
There lots of dirt roads in the US.
>>
>>1970310
>how do we make the ridership for public transit better
>ban roads so people can't drive and they have to use the same shitty public transit with zero improvements
wow, its like you are actually a democrat
>>
>>1970331
>>ban roads so people can't drive and they have to use the same shitty public transit with zero improvements
That's a whole new sentence. What are you talking about
>>
>>1970332
he isn't presenting ways to fix mass transit, just bitching that Americans have cars and roads
>>
File: 000 - Copy.jpg (44 KB, 660x574)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1970334
>We need more options than just building for cars
>We don't need more options, cars can go anywhere
>They can only do that because we specifically built it to do that, at the exclusion of others
>So you want to exclude cars and replace them with unimproved public transit??
>What?
>Why aren't you proposing ways to fix public transit??
>>
>>1970336
more options does not fix the issues with public transit. the issues are
>slow
>smells like piss
>takes 5 times as long to get anywhere
>filled with violent meth addicts
>retards playing loud rap music
you have said nothing about how we can improve those things, just muh roads
>>
>>1970338
The point is, as we fund road construction and maintenance, so too do the problems of mass transit require sufficient funding to be resolved.
What you mentioned would require:
>better/exclusive ROWs
>frequent off-service cleanings
>more routes/higher route frequency (+better ROWs again)
>more uniformed personnel present to deal with issues and anti-social behavior
All of these necessarily mean you will be paying more people to do more than the bare-minimum to maintain system functionality.

There is no other functional way to fix American transit until you accept its problems overwhelmingly come from it not being well-funded enough to provide quality services in the first place.
>>
>>1970340
it isn't well funded because its a shit service, so no one rides it. zero chance cops will do shit about the rap music and violent homeless meth addicts since BLM is a thing and that one guy who helped out on the subway in NYC is now in jail.
>>
>>1970341
>These are the issues that need to be fixed!
>Ok, in order to fix those problems, you need to provide more than the bare minimum
>They don't deserve more than the bare minimum, because they have those problems!
This is circular reasoning
>>
>>1970310
To libertarians the government should only do things that benefit them personally, anything else is a gross misuse of state power that violates the NAP
>>
>>1970343
you could give the entire US GDP to mass transit and they still will not fix the issue
>>
File: frog 44.jpg (12 KB, 203x192)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1970347
>Tell me how you could fix the problem!
>Here's how you could fix the problem.
>Well, I think they'll probably never do that, so there's no point suggesting it.
If you desperately do not want to engage the problems hindering public transit in the US, don't pretend you want them fixed.
>>
File: 1543591077629.jpg (41 KB, 716x545)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1970343
>these are the issues that need to be fixed
>need more funding
>funding achieved
>issues not fixed
>complain that the funding is too low
It is indeed circular.
>>
File: 1565047337967.jpg (41 KB, 367x446)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1970350
>>funding achieved
That's a good one, anon
>>
>>1970338
>Public transit is slow, crowded, and poorly maintained
>Okay, let’s give them more funding to increase frequency, expand routes, and provide better maintenance
>It doesn’t deserve that because it’s slow, crowded, and poorly maintained, so nobody will use it
You are mentally retarded. The reason public transit is underutilized is because it is purposefully crippled by a lack of resources.
Ridership won’t magically spike up to justify expansion and funding, funding and expansion encourages ridership because to nobody’s shock, as a service’s quality and supply improves, the demand follows.
If our highway systems were treated the same as transit, you’d be bitching about potholes and litter, but you’re ignorant because our country pours billions every year to maintain and expand our road networks, so you physically comprehend any alternatives to driving because you project the downsides of our vestigial remains of transit onto public transit in general.
>>
>>1970349
>>1970352
giving it more money without first addressing the violent drug addicts, piss and rap music won't make people ride it
>>
>>1970350
Considering every major transit authority in the country has a maintenance backlog in the billions and spanning decades, I don't think it would be appropriate to conclude funding has in fact been achieved.
>>
>>1970351
>>1970354
I meant expanding their yearly budget. And you can bet with more money more of it just gets blackholed into bureaucracy and side projects.

>– $13.5 million more for outreach to the homeless sleeping on trains and buses or encamping outside train station or at end-of-line neighborhoods in North Hollywood, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Downtown L.A. and Azusa. Another $10 million will go toward a new partnership with the L.A. County Department of Mental Health, plus $1.8 million for short-term shelters. This represents a 65.6% increase from last year.

Part of LA Metro's $9B annual budget, which is almost a third of the entire annual budget of TxDOT and half of Caltrans.
>>
>>1970353
To address that issue you need more uniformed staff and transit police.
People do not do jobs if they are not being paid.
The people who will remove violent dug addicts and anti-social passengers need to be paid money for working, because it is a job.
Do you understand?
>>
>>1970356
democrat lawmakers are defunding the people who remove the drug addicts and anti social passengers and throw the people whose job it is to remove the problem in jail. see deric chavin
>>
File: 1569763996822.png (41 KB, 554x436)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>1970355
Damn, 1/380th of the entire budget going to homeless outreach? In the second largest city in the country?

You're right, clearly this is sign they and every other are transit authority are in fact overfunded for what operations they provide.
>>
>>1970357
>democrat lawmakers are defunding the people who remove the drug addicts and anti social passengers
So they need more money.
We're on the same page.
>>
>>1970366
ok, how do you get the dems to transfer money from useless shit like welfare over to cops pulling "people" who are playing loud rap music off of a train and then beating them?
>>
>>1970345
weird cope, roads benefit absolutely everyone, including people like you, unfortunately
>>
File: IMG20221113095757.jpg (3.39 MB, 4160x3120)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>>1969367
Is UBG universal basic gun? If so, what is it? A Ruger 10/22, AR 15, or a Glock 19?
>>
File: Elipses.png (33 KB, 413x282)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>1970367
The steps you should take would be contacting your respective local representative about your concern of transit safety, and that you believe it needs to be better funded.
Basically, you need to keep bugging legislators until they take notice of something (It's always been like this).

Getting the media to run stories on it actually makes this happen much quicker, so try tipping off local journalists on the issue and/or writing Op-Eds in local news publications, and spread the word about the problem and what the solution should be around local community pages

Depending on how funding for transit police is given, by local funding or through the state, it would mean proposing policy to increase that funding, likely under the appeal of improving the safety of transit ridership.

This doesn't matter to you though, because you don't want an answer. You want something that neatly fits into your oversimplified understanding of political process in the United States.
>>
>>1970372
dems won't do anything to solve the issue. they are fine with subway riders force feeding other subway riders human shit and they have convictions way down as violent crime is up. none of the politicians ride on public transit so none of them care about fixing it
>>
File: 1444773718769.jpg (47 KB, 371x348)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1970375
>dems won't do anything to solve the issue
Example: Pennsylvania
Earlier this year Harrisburg passed legislation which would strip the power of the local DA to a special state-appointed DA who would prosecute any crimes committed on SEPTA property to cut red tape between SEPTA Transit Police and the prosecution of crime. This bill was majority supported by both state Republicans and Democrats alike,

Philadelphia itself has recently elected a mayor, Cherelle Parker, who has promised to bring back stop-and-frisk, and has talked about potentially bringing in PA State Police to help patrol SEPTA's transit system in the city, as Philly deals with a shortage of police due in large part to poor pay compared with regional peers (unrelated to any "defunding," Philadelphia police were never defunded).

Again, you don't want answers. You're happy with being a useless crank who thinks politics is a zero-sum game between polar extremes.
>>
>>1970377
the DA if philly is literally a blm member who refused to go after 50% of gun crimes in the city
>>
>>1970362
Kek, right-wingers really are fucking retarded
>>
>>1970362
>hopelessly expensive budget for a comparatively small system, makes highway budgets look enormously cost-effective and efficient in comparison (189k riders a day in entire system, 274k a day in Katy Freeway alone)
>tens of millions of dollars is redirected to homeless services, which will probably be laundered anyway
>that's what we know of, who knows where the rest of the money is going
>"hurr durr it's a fraction of $9B, why are you complaining"
>>
File: file.png (41 KB, 786x531)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>1970541
>189k riders a day in entire system
Omitting, of course, the 750,000+ people who ride on LA Metro's bus network every single day

Seems you need to get creative with hiding context to make this budget appear shocking
>>
>>1970362
why are we wasting any money on the homeless when we can just euthanize them like the canadians do?
>>
>>1969287
A lot of the issues with public transportation in america are due to american zoning laws and the layout of american cities which result from them causing everything to be so far apart from everything else.

That said some things that could improve use of say busses for example would be to have them operate 24/7, to have bus only lanes/ bus tunnels/ bus bridges.
Have better security/ zero tolerance policies for antisocial behavior (instead of just tolerating or allowing everything to grind to a halt when some sheboon starts throwing a tantrum and distracting the bus driver just have cops on every bus waiting to arrest people chimping out at a moment's notice until society unfucks itself)
>>
They say it's the urban wildlife but the bigger migraine is the car drivers. "Bus only lane? A special lane for my brodozer to clog up with gridlock? After all, that bus lane is empty, may as well fill it with cars." "A bus stop? Perfect place to park my car! I'll just be back in a few hours, no one uses these, anyway." "What do you mean a bus every 3 hours isn't good enough frequency? We need more lanes for cars. Keep the buses out of my way."
>>
>>1970733
You see, that would require the Streets Department for every American city to be competent and not utter dogshit at both designing and enforcing everything
>>
>>1970968
that's racist
>>
>>1969736
they can't go faster because cagers refuse to give up any of their precious lanes for bus-only traffic
>>
i'd be fine with having more cops in public and having them be stricter about stuff like vagrancy and nuisances if they started training them better and to not randomly maim or execute people in a fit of tard rage whenever they get slightly scared or offended
>>
>>1970984
>randomly
uh-huh. I'm sure every single person a cop beat or killed in self defense did do nuffin
>>
>>1970982
Run a bulldozer in front of the bus and crush the cagers into canned tomato paste.
>>
Well, is a difficult problem to tackle, but really it's not even the route design, bad scheduling, or just being in environment where cars are allowed to blatantly mog public transportation in utility. It's this.
https://twitter.com/ps1ack/status/1743288905057653203
>>
>>1971499
No shirt, no shoes, no service!
>>
>>1972122
I have a feeling he just walked into a wrong neighborhood and it's not as simple. Isn't bronx split between puerto ricans and some nogs?
>>
>>1972126
its a pretty shitty thing that getting on a train to go home in "the wrong neighborhood" will get you murdered for not being black. Its one of the reasons white people prefer driving and hate investing in public transit
>>
>>1969287
24/7 service for a start I would use public transport if it weren't for the fact that the busses don't even start running until 6am around here and I have to be AT work at 6 if I waited for the bus I would be a hour and a half late for work.

Secondly some kind of security to keep nogs in check, nobody wants to ride a bus if it means watching people trashing the bus at best and getting mugged at worst.

Third maybe bus only lanes/ bus tunnels/ bus elevated bridges, if the bus could operate without ever getting stuck in traffic I think more people would be willing to use it.

More collaboration between transit authorities in different counties, ideally the last station of any transit authority's jurisdiction should be right next to a station for the next county's public transit, or even have the counties work together to manage a rapid transit/ bus line that crosses county lines.

Increased speed limits for busses operating in bus only lanes/ bus tunnels.

As for trains I don't see how any urban train lines are going to get built unless it's by a private corporation like brightline or something.
>>
>>1972420
>I have to be AT work at 6
why?
>>
>>1969491
underrated post
>>
>>1972433
Because aerospace
>>
>>1969287
I hate crowded buses
>>
>>1972922
Run more busses at a higher frequency so they aren't as crowded them
>>
Simple answer: build more market-rate multifamily in/near downtowns. That will mean better transit accessibility, and better people riding the transit.
>>
>>1972927
What if no one buys them?
>>
File: 1473248470588.png (1.24 MB, 1280x976)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>1969287
As someone who has to use public transit, I would not if I had a choice simple because of the smell. Disgusting homeless people of all races stinking up the place and blocking the aisles with their baggage.
>>
>>1972932
Lol. Wouldn't happen since we're in a 10-million unit housing shortage and vacancies are at a historic low.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/maryland-faces-budget-deficit-crime-housing-shortage-2024-session-opens
>>
yet another man killed over rap music on the subway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avv89swmq6A
when will we do the right thing and ban all rap on public transit?
>>
>>1973903
you gonna post this in every thread or...?
>>
>>1973903
>>1973907
photo of the shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ohPjuERPzE
https://abc7ny.com/nyc-subway-shooting-richard-henderson-brooklyn/14336067/
>>
>>1972927
>multifamily
>better people
is the transit not black and homeless enough for you, anon?
>>
>>1972946
>Democrats pushing government meme housing
Where's your source for that "10-million unit shortage"? The linked foxnews article has no interesting or useful data.
>>
>>1969295
quintessential seethepost
>>
>>1969287
make n******* and drug addicts ride on separate buses or just ban n******** and drug addicts from using public transport.
>>
>>1975251
dems wont do that though
>>
>>1969287
Actually prioritize public transportation over cars, not some half assed approach
>>
>>1976187
mass transit will never be a better experience than cars in the US. So your solution is to just destroy car infrastructure and make all transit terrible?
>>
>>1969287
you simply need more of it
if the transport is crowded it means there simply isnt enough
plus if public transport got even 10% of the funding from the gov they spend on car infrastructure it would improve everyones experience (including car drivers by reducing traffic) by 1000%
its just that simple
>>
>>1976240
people wont ride it because it takes 4 times as long to get anywhere, not including waiting at stations, and everyone on it is a violent piece of shit who smells like piss and plays loud music
>>
>>1972927
This is the only answer. It fixes the systemic issues that American transit faces.
>>
>>1976295
>>1972927
how would multifamily housing result in better people riding transit?
>>
>>1976240
>plus if public transport got even 10% of the funding from the gov they spend on car infrastructure it would improve everyones experience
Why can't you idiots resist saying shit like this?
Car infrastructure handles both freight and passengers. The road network reaches the overwhelming majority of homes and businesses in the country, something a rail network would never be able to do before you even reach the point of trying to run service.
>>1976300
It doesn't. People who post shit like that have a severely fucked up view of the world and don't really think about anything other than their one brainwashed shill topic.
>>
>>1976259
yes they will
people already do even despite how shit it is
not everyone wants to or can own a car
and if funded properly it would be faster than driving
its slow intentionally because thats what the oil industry wants
>not including waiting at stations
>noooooo i have to wait for 5 whole minutes if only i was sat at traffic lights or in a traffic jam for hours instead reeeee
>and everyone on it is a violent piece of shit who smells like piss and plays loud music
yeah i hate car drivers too
>>1976324
>Why can't you idiots resist saying shit like this?
>Car infrastructure handles both freight and passengers. The road network reaches the overwhelming majority of homes and businesses in the country, something a rail network would never be able to do before you even reach the point of trying to run service.
>>1976324
literally none of that is correct but ok
>>
>>1976365
>yes they will
why would they?
>people already do even despite how shit it is
yeah, the actual homeless and robbers
>not everyone wants to or can own a car
most people prefer to own a car
>and if funded properly it would be faster than driving
CITATION FUCKING NEEDED
>its slow intentionally because thats what the oil industry wants
CITATION FUCKING NEEDED
>>noooooo i have to wait for 5 whole minutes if only i was sat at traffic lights or in a traffic jam for hours instead reeeee
If a trip took an hour by car it would take 5 hours by public transit
>yeah i hate car drivers too
car drivers aren't the ones feeding people actual human shit on the subway or shooting people on the subway for trying to turn their music down, or being homeless on the subway or pissing on the subway or playing loud rap music on the subway
>>
>>1976370
>why would they?
because they need to go places and dont want to fucking drive
>yeah, the actual homeless and robbers
>implying homeless people and robbers cant own cars
infact most robbers probably use cars and when i was homeless i had a car to fucking sleep in
ofc i used my bike to actually get places still lol
>most people prefer to own a car
in america where the government deliberately pushes cars on everyone to make money from the oil industry
in sane countries where other forms or transport get funded people prefer to use those
>CITATION FUCKING NEEDED
>its slow intentionally because thats what the oil industry wants
CITATION FUCKING NEEDED
kill yourself you know its true you are a cuck to a government that only wants to sell you oil and will send you to die to keep in flowing
>If a trip took an hour by car it would take 5 hours by public transit
it took me 15 hours to drive the distance it would take me 3 by train
i can ride my bike to the train station faster than driving to it
>car drivers aren't the ones feeding people actual human shit on the subway or shooting people on the subway for trying to turn their music down, or being homeless on the subway or pissing on the subway or playing loud rap music on the subway
yeah car drivers do that all over the petrol stations carparks roads anywehre nearby those things and ofc in their cars
the worst thing that ever happened to me on a train was too many people wanted to use it (wow big surprise) and people were blocking the toilet (imagine not needing to stop and go to a disgusting scary segregated communal toilet in the middle of nowhere while traveling wow) and i needed to pee
anyway kill yourself oilcuck oh yeah youl probably die on the road or in some desert fighting for your precious car juice
im gonna be riding my bike having a nice time and watching the views from the train while i enjoy some food and a drink lol, maybe even an alcoholic one perfectly legal too :)
>>
>>1976399
>because they need to go places and dont want to fucking drive
why wouldn't they want to drive? is everyone where you live an alcoholic?
>>implying homeless people
please do not call them people
>and robbers cant own cars
then why the fuck are they on the subway? and if they are in their own car they aren't annoying me
>infact most robbers probably use cars
citation needed
> when i was homeless
have you tried not being addicted to crack?
>where the government deliberately pushes cars on everyone to make money from the oil industry
citation needed
>in sane countries where other forms or transport get funded people prefer to use those
weird how those "sane countries" are literally just japan, south korea and 85%+ white countries
>kill yourself you know its true you are a cuck to a government that only wants to sell you oil and will send you to die to keep in flowing
CITATION FUCKING NEEDED
I see you have not provided any citations. Also weird that you call someone a cuck when you think people should only be able to go to their approved government train stations, bootlicker
>it took me 15 hours to drive the distance it would take me 3 by train
stop driving 3 mph
>yeah car drivers do that all over the petrol stations carparks roads anywehre nearby those things
citation needed
>and ofc in their cars
why do I care about what they do in their car away from me?
>the worst thing that ever happened to me on a train
cool story bro
>anyway kill yourself oilcuck oh yeah youl probably die on the road or in some desert fighting for your precious car juice
you will probably die on the subway from aids from someone force feeding you human shit
>im gonna be riding my bike having a nice time and watching the views from the train while i enjoy some food and a drink lol, maybe even an alcoholic one perfectly legal too :)
there it is, you are a homeless alcoholic who likes the train because you are an acoholic
>>
>>1976403
>why wouldn't they want to drive? is everyone where you live an alcoholic?
because its fucking miserable scary and expensive
and everyone everywhere in every country is an alcaholic
you probably are too who isnt in this awful world the oil industry created for us
>please do not call them people
kill yourself
>then why the fuck are they on the subway? and if they are in their own car they aren't annoying me
>implying no car driver has ever almost killed you or cut you off or parked in a retarded place yes everyone is so nice and courteous on the road :)
nobody on the train has ever annoyed me
in fact its nice i get to actually talk to people!
>citation needed
wow mum look i used the gotcha line
no i wont do it for you but i dont need to prove that drive by robberies happen all the time
>bruh get in the getaway train
>aw shit man we missed it quick get on the getaway bicycles
>have you tried not being addicted to crack?
yeah it was so easy i managed to never even witniss it in person!
england is a shithole but at least its not whatever shithole you live in where theres crack epedemics
>weird how those "sane countries" are literally just japan, south korea and 85%+ white countries
and the rest of the world that has adiquate trains like most of europe and even fucking russia
ofcourse you have to bring race into this how strange almost like you beleive everything your government tells you?
>CITATION FUCKING NEEDED
>I see you have not provided any citations.
if i say it back will you provide me a single citation for anything youre saying?
i will if you will
you wont do it i dare you
>tfw im arguing with a bot that isnt even capable of this
>stop driving 3 mph
cant the roads full of cars and traffic lights
nothing in the way of a train going 90 but air!
>why do I care about what they do in their car away from me?
strange you seem to care alot about what people do everywhere else in the world except in a car
>citation needed
i have fucking seen it
>>
>>1976403
>cool story bro
holy shit you are a bot
I AM TALKING TO A COMPUTER PROGRAM THINKING ITS A PERSON REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I HATE THE FUTURE I HATE THE FUTURE
>you will probably die on the subway from aids from someone force feeding you human shit
no i am certain i will either die by sucide or by a car
i have almost died multiple times in my life and cars were involved in 100% of those
>there it is, you are a homeless alcoholic who likes the train because you are an acoholic
i actually dont drink it tastes disgusting but i could if i wanted to
my designated driver sits at the front of the train!
i am also not homeless anymore
strange that you seem to care so much about these things though almost as if you have no argument and can only try to attack my character personally but you dont even know what to say so you try to imply unrelated things about me are somehow le bad
go smoke some weed dude
oh yeah you cant youd have to drive loool
>>
>>1976408
>>1976409
>homeless anti gun, anti car faggot who is afraid of driving is a weed addict
many such cases
>>
>>1969287
>zero tolerance to crime, public hanging of criminals
>zero tolerance to homelessness, shove them all to rehab camps
>low tolerance to anti-social behavior - watching porn or playing with full audio in the bus? smelling like shit from heavy smoking? farting in the middle of the ride? talking loudly on the phone? putting your legs on a seat? the bus should stop for the nearest policeman so you could be forcibly removed
>fully autonomous buses of varying sizes that aren't squeaking and shaking like crazy on every little bump
>bus isn't a mobile oven during the winter
If these things aren't met, you have no chance. Cars will keep ruling.
>>
>>1976521
>anti gun
whered you get that from?
id love to own a gun theyre fun
i have a few air rifles i shoot cans and bottles and stuff with for fun (dont like hunting though i will do that to not starve to death only)
i dont believe in heavy gun restrictions because they are like slapping duct tape on a car thats bumper is falling off not actually looking at the root of the problem (the screws fucking rusted away lol)
ofc basic safety stuff like having a proper locker and shooting it somewhere safe and stuff is important
but when it comes to gun crime as usual the problem is about the root cause of crime not the guns
that being poverty which itself is a complicated issue that has deeper root causes normally the fault of the government just making life fucking hard for anyone whose not already rich
anyway pls kill yourself im not ashamed of who i am, at least im not a disgusting toxic cuck like you loll
i dont go to /n/ to seethe about cars
i used to be a massive carfag and still drive alot because i live in a place that forces it on me i love cars in theory but i just dont want to own one anymore its miserable for everyone especially people outside the fucking cars
keep seething in your little cuck cage forking over money to the government and the stinky car juice salesmen
il be having a nice time getting fresh air and excersize and getting to interact with other human beings and watching the views go by on my baiku and on the train :)
>>1976570
fuck busses desu, theyre just a cope symptom of carification, theyre basically just trains but worse, very few places they truly make sense
as for all those other things just die honestly idk what more to say your existence is a net negative on everyone whose met you by the sounds of it
or just fucking grow up idk you sound like youre 16 and dont even have a car lol
done now btw dont bother replying mr bot
>inb4 it posts a seething reply anyway
maybe il read it but im just gonna lol then close the thread <3
>>
>>1976596
>weed addicted cuck says its the governments fault he is poor and then says he doesn't hate cars before writing a paragraph about how he hates cars
>>
I think you can't really take something that works in country X and force it on people in country Y. Each country has different circumstances.
You have to address the problems and needs of the American people. And I think Americans on average don't really want to sit on a bus with a bunch of armed and dangerous thugs.
The solution is, as dumb as it sounds, more cars and cheaper gasoline.
>>
>>1972927
High-end multifamily would also increase the funding for transit so we could have nicer facilities.
>>
>>1976300
New multifamily is high-end and has wealthier occupants.
>>
>>1976631
>he posted a seething reply
like clockwork
>>
>>1976676
>>1976675
why would anyone with money live in a multi family house?
>>
>>1976708
you keep writing literal essays blaming the government for your drug abuse and blaming the government for you being poor which you think causes crimes
>>
>>1976712
who are you talking to?
>>
>>1976725
see>>1976596 and >>1976409/>>1976408
you drug addict
>>
>>1976738
what?
>>
>>1976738
dude you're insane
that's most likely two or three different people
>>
>>1976738
>seethes
>copes
>malds
>ropes
>>
>>1976740
2 of those posts were the same guy writing 2 posts because he walls of texts. they are likely all the same guy since wall of text and accusing others of being bots
>>1976742
I'm not the drug addict here
>>
>>1976744
you seem like you need some drugs you schizo
>>
>>1976774
>trying to force someone to smoke weed because you are mad they aren't pro weed
>>
>>1970025
You are one dense motherfucker.
>>
>>1970997
this pls
>>
>live in town-center
>haven't owned a car in years due to everything walking distance within 1-2 blocks
>use bus to get around here in phoenix, mostly to and from work
>half the time the bus is broken for taking cash
>no place seems to know how to sell bus tickets here
>NFC only works with apple phones
>bike rack may or may not work it's anyone's guess
>on time schedule is also a who knows
>end up just getting an electric bike because it gets me to and from work without having to pay insurance premiums
Fuck the bus shit. I know /n/ hates electric bikes with a passion but during summer I am not peddling in +110F after work.
>>
>>1969287
1. Make buses quicker with dedicated lanes
2. Make it free of charge
3. Install public showers at bus stations
4. Make Tesla owners pay for it
It's not either/or with this too. No dedicated lanes and you're stuck in traffic, if it's paid by fares then there's friction slowing things down, if there aren't showers like there are for truck stops then people will smell (usually homeless) passengers, and Tesla owners not paying gives them a free rider position not having to deal with as much traffic as they destroy the roads with their extra heavy cars.
>>
>>1979603
>NFC only works with apple phones
skill issue

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.