[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

how do you cope with not being able to use a nice bike because you fear itl get stolen from the bike rack?
i really want a nice old tourer but i think im just gonna have to settle for an old hybrid
are steel trek multitrack 700s and 720 hybrids ok bikes?
they look less stealable at least
>>
>>2010111
this is the trek 700 im considering
its cheap and genuine small frames are very rare
should i be sensible or should i get a galaxy and take it into shops with me?
>>
>>2010111
>>2010112
Nice bike? Where? They both look like old crusty shit, nobody is going to steal those.
Where do you live?
I can leave my 4k€ mtb outside of a shop for an hour without locking it up.
>>
>>2010113
post bike
>>
>>2010111
depending on where you are, an old tourer might be slightly safer, esp if a bit ratty and well locked up.
i've a couple, deal with the stress of their possible theft by never leaving them longer than an hour if anywhere sketchy, locking the shit out of them, and removing lights, pumps and panniers etc...
90's hybrids are great, way cheaper than your average jap touring bike also - lock the shit out of it anyway though as some people will steal literally anything.
>>2010113
get fucked cunt.
>>
File: 20230924_123826.jpg (3.08 MB, 2560x1920)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
>>2010119
Here you go.
Upgraded the stem and handlebars/wheels with carbon tho.
>>2010120
Why? I still want to know where such old rustbuckets get stolen. I to have 2 old steel beater mtbs and i literally havent locked my bike in the last 4 years.
>>
>>2010112
No one would look at that and think "THATS the bike I'm gonna steal and make profit off of"

Just get a good lock
>>
>>2010139
where do you live
>>
Buy a lock dummy
>>
nobody's gonna steal your nice touring bike because who in their right mind would "tour" through high-theft urban centres?
that's why you need at least two bikes, a crusty one for cities and a nice one for everything else

plus I have to agree with the other posters ITT somewhat, I do think it's a great bike but it's really not the bike that'll catch a thief's eye
>>
i love that people here ascribe proffesionalism to bike thieves, assume there has to be a motive of reasonable profit - if you live in a decent sized city it doesn't matter what you ride, even the shittiest bike will get stolen by some deranged crackhead eventually.
i used to see hoodied up degenerates picking away at locked up bikes on my early morning commute often, even saw one kid once with a trailer full of bits - it was all pleb tier stuff, nothing fancy or particularly valuable, but it was all there for him to take so he did.
>>
You have to bring your bicycle inside with you.
>>
>>2010111
I've been riding 'nice bikes' for 15 years and haven't ever gotten one stolen. Know why? Because I'm not stupid therefore I don't leave it anywhere out of line-of-sight. I don't even own a lock because it never gets left anywhere.
Get smart and stop leaving your bike anywhere in public.
>>
>>2010378
Its the american's problem if they want to continue having their

OOga booga bicycle NIGGER

brain while the americans are the ones doing the holocaust.

Your car has to generate 740 watts of power per horse power.

I am being cooked alive on my bicycle.

Its not even that hot outside, its just those dirty fucking americans and their holocaust machines on 4 wheels.

I could have built 100 ebike batteries from the lithium cells in your white man's tesla but you are THE Americans after all.
>>
>>2010381
That's a fire hazard of a battery, i hope you have a sandbucket handy.
Where did you even get those cells? They look sketch as fuck.
>>
>>2010111
Have you tried not living in a shithole area?
>>
>>2010313
>i love that people here ascribe proffesionalism to bike thieves, assume there has to be a motive of reasonable profit
true but that's for cable locks and nicking wheels

a deranged crackhead isn't going to have an angle grinder to get through your d-lock if you lock a bike securely.
>>
>>2010111
>>2010112
imo the hybrid is more desirable for a thief for several reasons

>if they just want to joy ride it, it's better
>it's far more generic and less likely to get them caught selling it
>it's a better trade to another cashed up crackhead
>they can't tell what a nice old bike is and just think old= shit
>they CAN tell what a nice old bike is, and respect you for it

I like to imagine there is a bike nerd subset of bike theif with a kind of deranged honour code, where they view e-bike shitters and most nice modern bikes as rich valid targets and if you have the right old charming bike they'll see you as brethren.
>>
File: 20240706_211949.jpg (497 KB, 2048x1536)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>2010112
this is kind of backwards to how people normally spec beaters
instead of a grungey nice bike it's a shiny shit bike

who the fuck polishes a riveted crankset? he even polished the derailer with a plastic knuckle. Full rebuild with gripshift. lol

the condition on that bike is fantastic though. bearings, cables, new tires, pedals for £80 is a great buy.

The frame is basic taiwan cromo and the paint is sick. wouldn't be crazy to upgrade it a bit more too, or just get a rack and ride.
>>
>>2010111
>how do you cope with not being able to use a nice bike because you fear itl get stolen from the bike rack?
Everything is relative. What you do is just have lots of nice bikes.

Or try the tactic of buying cheap nice projects and dumping money into them and then lying to yourself in your memory about how much they cost.
>>
>>2010398
>Or try the tactic of buying cheap nice projects and dumping money into them and then lying to yourself in your memory about how much they cost.
I feel seen
>>
>>2010111
You rage against the slow collapse of civilization, as everything gets shittier.
>>
>>2010111
Depends totally where you live and how you look it.

I live in a reasonably safe country, but I never leave my shit outside if I can help it.

As long as you place it indoors overnight it's fine, but during the day when you're out, you need a solid u lock. End of story.
>>
If it's a nice bike anything less than a u lock the bike shouldn't leave your sight, and with a u lock it shouldn't be out of ear shot
>>
>>2010111
>how do you cope with not being able to use a nice bike because you fear itl get stolen from the bike rack?
I ride my nice bike where I can take it with me or keep it in sight. If I lock a bike to a rack, I'm riding my crappy bike.
>>
I just don't ever leave it locked up, locks are useless and even if they worked. Crackheads or teenagers will just kick the shit out of your bike for no reason nevermind trying to steal it
>>
I loosen the bolt on my brake cables after leaving my bike chained up
>>
In student cities in my country there's a 100% chance that your bike will eventually get stolen by a drunk student, but it's okay because you can steal someone else's bike
>>
>>2010111
I cope by having two bikes. If I need to run errands and have to leave my bike on a rack I use the ol' reliable cheapo one.
>>
>>2010111
i bought the 720
kinda wishing id gone for something else like a saracen maybe but i like it anyway
i missed cantilevers and steel
and this is my first time on 700c wheels so im enjoying the novelty of that
>>2010140
>>2010143
you think i dont have a lock?
>>2010450
fuck u locks i use a chain
>>2010113
english theives know what a galaxy is sadly i see very stolen looking ones for sale at the local skatepark where the stolen motorcycles go too
>>2010139
why is every thread a full sussy thread now
gravelfags werent even this annoying
go back to /xs/ where hydraulics are appreciated
>>2010140
yea thats the point i wanted something functionally nice but visibly an old shitbox
>>2010141
some richoids only culdesac in cali lol
>>2010275
my nice bike is my mtb im custom building myself which id never lock up anywhere ever
the dawes tourer was gonna be my town bike but i just know its not a bike i can lock up either
it looks too cool next to all the carreras and apollos
>>2010313
i guess but the shinier bikes go first
and not all theves are dumb kids alot actually know their bikes and locks and will aim to make the most profit on the fewest bikes rather than just getting a pile of worthless shitboxes they cant sell even for parts
>>2010378
sometimes i do if i rly dont trust the racks or im bringing a bike id never lock up
or if i forgot my lock lel
>>2010380
i use my bike for shopping i dont only leisure ride
theft is just a thing i have to be paranoid about and none of you guys are helping lol
>>2010393
everywhere is a shithole
>>2010394
never underestimate your enemy
not all of them are retarded crackheads
its the not totally retarded theives im paranoid about
>>2010395
>>if they just want to joy ride it, it's better
you would rather joyride the extra small womens mid af shitbox hybrid over the sleek drop bar classic tourer?
>>
>>2010397
the condition is pretty good i guess all those componants are cheap replacements for the originals he didnt polish them
the gripshifts are original
and yeah the paints good
it has some black smudges that i think are inside the clearcoat?
the bike is jank though
most parts arent original and theres some jank i need to fix like the fd being on a weird mount that attatches to the bb and ruins the chainline and the rear wheel having a hub too narrow so the stays bend as i tighten the quick release
the brakes are mismatched but work great thankfully
theres some corrosion inside the frame though
its not bad
i am gonna upgrade it into a sortof commutery touringy cx xc bikepacking bike sort of thing
just an all purpose go anywehere kinda bike that i can treat like my car and is super simple and low maintanance
>>2010398
>Or try the tactic of buying cheap nice projects and dumping money into them and then lying to yourself in your memory about how much they cost.
shes just like me fr!
>>2010407
10k watt 2wd nuclear bomb ebike with no lights got it
>>2010544
cantilvers are easy to unhook i might try that
i could undoo my quick releases too
i always park in 1st gear so they have to change gears before they can ride off lol
>>2011680
drunk students only come out on a friday night from the bars and stuff my bike isnt locked anywhere near them
>>2011815
yeah thats me new ol trek
im thinking of naming her tracy?
i think its good luck to name a bike it make 'er more reliable
>>
>>2011680
Pretty much this. Also you will eventually find it again, probably near the train station or a club.
>>
>>2010111
Do what I did: uglify the bicycle; change the parts with cheap Aliexpress pieces (i.e. coloured handlebars, pedals, flurocent tape) to make it more identifiable for a cop or yourself if it gets stolen. Remove all the brands so thieves cannot easily gauge a price for your bike, and rip off 'all' identifying stickers. I carry 3 to 4 motherfucking locks with me, so those angle grinder and picklock mofos don't have an easy time getting access to it if I am away for more than half an hour. They want an easy low-risk grab for the highest value; the fact that your bicycle isn't electric is another reason why they're not going to bother trying with you (unless you make it too easy). I'd post photos, but my bicycle is pretty identifiable, a double-edged sword that's not good for opsec if I uploaded it.

t. cyclist in low income housing environment w/ higher end entry-level MTB.
>>
Can't you just mount some kind of alarm inside the frame so of anyone breaks your lock the alarm spazzes out and you can't destroy it without breaking the bike?
>>
>>2012220
yeahh but i dont want my bike to look ugly :(
>>2012229
ehh idk i think if bike alarms worked wed all be using them
>>
>>2012231
Yeah, but maybe I'm a visionary and people just haven't caught up to my genius yet. But likely most people are fine with simple locks, for someone married to their bike like you alarms may be worth it. Who the fuck would continue stealing a bike that sounds like someone broke into fort knox?
>>
>>2012232
mayhapse
how is it activated tho and how do i make sure it doesnt go off by accident
>>
>>2012234
I don't know if it's even a thing, but it would work like this
>Lock runs a current through the chain when locked
>If you break the chain it sends a wired/wireless signal to the alarm
>Alarm deactivated with app or keychain or some shit
Just like most alarms work
>>
>>2012235
>tfw i need to charge my lock
a theif would just bypass it anyway i dont think they bother cutting locks much
>>
>>2012238
What do thiefs do? Cut down the entire streetlamp?
>>
>>2012240
they shim or rake the lock which 99% of locks are vulnerable to
or they have bolt cutters and will cut it in 1 sec
>>
>>2012241
If you have the autism to get an alarm you would probably be immune to lockpicking and bolt cutters would still activate it, the alarm would be for the escape rather than the seizing
>>
>>2012243
if someone can come up with a convenient and reliable design that isnt as flawed as every other bike lock id do it
>>
>>2012244
instead of an alarm put 250 grams of C4 in the bike frame instead
>>
>>2012245
anthrax inside the frame
if they try to part it out they all diiiiieee

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.