[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (2.27 MB, 1200x800)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>That grown ass man who uses coaster brakes
You are not that guy, right?
>>
>that zxer who judges people
op is a faggot
>>
>>2015694
Of course I'm not that guy. I'm him, the dude who uses disc brakes.
>>
>>2015694
hey that's me, Freds and unracers look at me with visible disgust, even the fixiefags cringe at my coaster brake, idk why coaster brakes triggers all but the basedest of cyclist (aka cruiserchads). Anyways, here's why I think they're great
>the mechanics are simple and elegant, screw, clutch cone, shoes, hub drum
>almost maintenance free
>200% reliability
>when properly set up it has lower rolling resistance because
>no rachet pawls, which also means no ratchet noise, stealth af
>theoretically, the design has the highest brake force achievable because body weight vs hand strength
>>
>>2015699
>Rains just a little bit
>*dies*
>>
File: klunker.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2015721
>almost maintenance free
The repack downhill klunker race in 1976 basically invented mtb racing

it was called 'repack' because by the bottom of the hill the grease in your coaster brake would be obliterated and you'd have to repack the hub

how tf is that low maintenance. 30 mins on 1 hill.
>>
>>2015735
Repack Ridge isn't a normal ride. Under normal conditions (read: not downhill mtbing) coaster brake hubs have seen decades of service without maintenance.
>>
>>2015735
If you are racing you have to do maintenance before EVERY race. Even on regular bikes. Under normal use you can leave your coaster brake alone for 5+ years. I opened mine after 17 years (only ~9k miles on that bike) and it was fine it didn't need grease. Grease will last forever if you don't burn it. It's the closest maintenance free you can get.
>>
>>2015737
>Under normal conditions
cruising the flat on some city shitter where you might as well be shoe braking
>>
>>2015740
So what?
>>
>>2015740
Shoe braking is unironically more than adequate for conditions most bikes see, especially in a flat city.
>>
>>2015728
I'm sorry but you must have confused me with the moron who used to live next door until his rim brakes failed. I on the other hand can stop on a dime even in the worst of conditions and have the advantage of easy brake maintenance without disassembling the hub.
>>
Can you modulate the braking at all?
Any time I've ridden one albeit shitty rental bikes on vacation it was do a skid a kid
>>
>>2015756
nothing
carry on

bless you infact
>>
>>2015772
>Can you modulate the braking at all?
No.
>>
>>2015837
Skill issue.
>>
>>2015699
Any idea if they make a disc break conversion kit for old 10 speeds that have rim brakes?
>>
>>2015904
There is no "kit." You have two options, disc fork swap for front disc and rear rim or weld disc brake mounts onto the frame. Third option would be to upgrade your current brakes, good dual pivot rim brakes on aluminum wheels have more than adequate performance. Tangently, fourth option is to build drum brake wheels, while not disc, offers similar performance improvement over rim brakes during inclement weather for a weight cost
>>
>>2015772
yes there are two modes, barely working and locked up
>>
I have two bikes with coaster brakes. A klunker and an old german 3speed hub. I don't mind them. The only downside is that your pedals will sometimes be at an awkward position when starting from a stop.
>>
>>2016040
This. My daily has a coaster brake and rim brake back and front. I only need the front brake, might very rarely use the rear on very technical stuff but never find myself using the coaster brake thats just part of the IGH. I dont mind it theres just the minor inconvenience of not being able to spin your pedals back. IMO not an issue after regular stops since you get into a habit of stoping in a position you'd like for taking off.
>>
>>2015721
love em, I wanna build a single speed with coaster brake and ofc front brake.

What are some good choices?

I wish there was more, maybe some heavy duty ones or smth.
I searched for one few months ago and only found 2 I think.
>>
>>2016348
>What are some good choices?
Bad news is you're right, there's not many options but the good news is they're all decently shit because they use the same design mostly and they're cheap. There's KT Hubs, WheelMaster, Shimano, and Sturmey Archer. Best news is most of the parts are compatible since they're mostly the same design, that makes finding different teeth sprockets and fresh bearings easy.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.