[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1697680046305014.jpg (120 KB, 684x550)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/16/us/justice-alito-upside-down-flag.html?smid=nytcore-ios

Far-right Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito's property was flying an upside-down American flag — a known MAGA "Stop the Steal" symbol — right around the same time that the Supreme Court was deciding whether to take up a challenge to the 2020 election brought by the Republican Party of Pennsylvania.

According to The New York Times, "The upside-down flag was aloft on Jan. 17, 2021, the images showed. President Donald J. Trump’s supporters, including some brandishing the same symbol, had rioted at the Capitol a little over a week before. Mr. Biden’s inauguration was three days away. Alarmed neighbors snapped photographs, some of which were recently obtained by The New York Times. Word of the flag filtered back to the court, people who worked there said in interviews. While the flag was up, the court was still contending with whether to hear a 2020 election case, with Justice Alito on the losing end of that decision."

Alito denies having put up the flag himself, saying that, “It was briefly placed by Mrs. Alito in response to a neighbor’s use of objectionable and personally insulting language on yard signs.” His wife was involved in a dispute with a neighbor over an anti-Trump sign in their yard.

Nonetheless, "Judicial experts said in interviews that the flag was a clear violation of ethics rules, which seek to avoid even the appearance of bias, and could sow doubt about Justice Alito’s impartiality in cases related to the election and the Capitol riot" — including upcoming rulings from the Supreme Court on whether January 6 defendants can be charged with obstruction of Congress, and whether Trump himself has presidential immunity from prosecution for his role in the election plot.
>>
“You always want to be proactive about the appearance of impartiality,” former federal judge Jeremy Fogel told The Times. “The best practice would be to make sure that nothing like that is in front of your house.”

Alito has emerged as one of the hardest partisans on the Supreme Court. In addition to being the architect of the ruling that reversed abortion rights around the country, he has often gone further than even his fellow right-wingers, including being in the minority in a 7-2 ruling by fellow right-winger Justice Clarence Thomas that reversed a Trump-stacked lower circuit court trying to gut consumer financial protections.
>>
>>1295943
>(((experts say)))
AHAHAHAHAHA

Based Alito.
>>
Why is the Party of "Law and Order" so corrupt?
>>
>>1295967
How is flying a flag corrupt you retarded shit head?
>>
>>1295968
>Flying a flag that shows you don't respect the rule of law, democracy or the basic principles the country was founded on.
>>
>>1295969
Lmao. How many mental illnesses have you been diagnosed with?
>>
>>1295969
It was the flag of the United States of America you moron.
>>
>>1295985 #
I honestly think he's been mindfucked so much by the steam of "democrat corruption" and "democrat fraud" threads on this board, that he reads "republican flies flag upside down" and he thinks framing it as corruption is actually going to do anything besides just making him look retarded and desperate
>>
>>1295988
And unless anyone has proof to the contrary, Alito's wife raised the flag.
It's not like she isn't allowed to act independently.
>>
>>1295967
They literally invented political corruption. It didn't exist before them.
>>
Flying the Flag upside down is not a "a known MAGA "Stop the Steal" symbol.

Flying a flag upside down is an international symbol of distress, and has long been used as a protest symbol representing someone's disapproval of the current state of affairs of their government, regardless of their registered political party or general stance.

It is entirely within Justice Alito's 1st Amendment rights to fly the flag upside down, and it in NO way shape for form necessitates support of Trump without said support being directly stated, unless you're simply ignorant of history.

Or, in this case, you're a washed-up, sold-out has been of a journalism outlet thats grasping for straws to keep your dead coup narrative alive while Biden's approval rating and poll numbers continue to plummet in an election year.
>>
>>1295989
>Trusting Alito's story after he tried to explain why it happened.
https://www.rawstory.com/alito-interview-questions-details-not-reassuring/
>>
>>1296016
You didn't comprehend a word in the post you replied to, did you?
>>
>>1296002

The UK flag is the same way upside down. What might the French flag look like upside down (inherent horizontal axis of rotation, btw)? Don't buy into Guilianni's bullshit against RATM on SNL in the late 90's.
>>
>>1296017
It's almost like... Alito is lying. Shocking, I know.
>>
>>1296002
>Flying the Flag upside down is not a "a known MAGA "Stop the Steal" symbol.
It was co-opted by MAGA to be a symbol for stop the steal.

>It is entirely within Justice Alito's 1st Amendment rights to fly the flag upside down
The problem isn't his first amendment right, which is still an excsuse, but the fact that Alito was actively taking cases regarding Trump's coup, it shows he actively prejudiced beyond just being part of his political party.

>you're a washed-up, sold-out has been-Whataboutism, whataboutism blah blah blah
Irrelevent to that fact that this is more proof of Alito's corruption and judicial reform is necessary.
>>
>>1296019
Yep, you failed to comprehend both posts.
Not so shocking, we know.
>>
>>1296022
Does your tin foil hat allow you to peer into Alito's head, read his deepest thoughts? Are you recording the signals for admission as evidence?
>>
>>1296027
>>1296028
Nah Alito was already caught lying.
https://www.rawstory.com/samuel-alito-january-6-flag/

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito is under fire after the flag outside of his home was flown upside down, a symbol adopted by the Jan. 6 "Stop the Steal" rallygoers.

The U.S. Flag Code outlines: "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

>Alito blamed his wife for the move, saying she was upset at lawn signs with swear words. Several signs popped up around the election, reading, "f--- Trump." She complained that children waiting for the bus saw the vulgar word.

>It has now been revealed that there were no students at the bus stops because school was virtual due to the pandemic.

"If you want to connect the image that you saw, you don’t have to look far," said former FBI general counsel Andrew Weissmann. "If you look at what Alito said in the immunity argument — the argument was should a president be subject to the criminal laws. And it was unbelievable. Somebody who is a U.S. attorney, now sitting in the Supreme Court of the United States, took the position, we cannot trust DOJ, we cannot trust a grand jury of citizens, we cannot trust the criminal justice system, which by the way, he oversees the constitutional limits on what the government can do, we can’t trust that and that’s why a president should be immune."
He said that there is a "direct line" to the oral arguments in that case

"This is not like his wife happened to be doing something," Weissmann said. "Because you can tie it to his rhetoric and positions in the court."

Host Nicolle Wallace confessed she didn't know what it meant when she saw the upside-down flag being carried around the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

>"This is in the view of the insurrectionists. This was their symbol that day," said Wallace.
>>
She later noted that Chief Justice John Roberts has the power to hold the justices to the same standards as other judges, but he has been unwilling to do so.

She counted off rules such as "employees of the Supreme Court may not engage in partisan political activity, partisan political activity related to elections contested by political parties. For example, employees may not publicly support or oppose a partisan political organization or candidate."

Another is that "employees may not engage in nonpartisan activity if it could reflect adversely on the dignity or impartiality of the court or interferes with the duties."

Wallace said that the "upside-down flag is associated with one of the two parties, Trump supporters, at the Capitol that day and absolutely makes it impossible for that body to be dignified."

Weissmann agreed and pointed out the absurdity of Alito's excuse, blaming it on his wife.

"Can we consider for a moment what Justice Alito's defense is here?" he said. "Understanding that because of the photo, he can't just say it didn't happen. Let's even assume his wife put it up, and take that as a given. Even though we just have the statement, there's lots of reasons to think — it's his lawn. But he didn't see it?"

Wallace noted that Alito never said in the statement that he didn't see it, only that his wife did it.

> "It's up for days. He never saw that? I mean, he didn't talk to his wife? He didn't see the flag? He didn't think, maybe I should take this down? Remember the environment we were in. Let's go back to Jan. 6th. What was going on in Washington? I mean, I keep saying this about the judges who have these cases; everyone who was in Washington lived it. It was happening there around them."

He explained that he doesn't think people who weren't there can fully understand how central Jan. 6 was to those who live in America's capital and "how shocking" it was "even for us just watching it on TV."
>>
"And he didn't think, maybe I should take this down?" asked Weissmann. "I mean, and then the response, I'm doing this in response to what? How is putting a 'Stop the Steal' flag that you know about, you are not taking down, how is that somehow justified by a neighbor?"

"My neighbor is mean; I'll side with the treason party," Wallace quipped.

Weissmann wondered what would happen if the neighbor promoted Joe Biden.

"That means you put up this flag as a sitting Supreme Court Justice? It is so much, 'Might makes right.' It is such a denigration of what should be a court that people revere."

So Alito is either guilty and unqualified to sit on the court or stunningly incompetent and unqualified to sit on the court.
>>
>>1296029
You don't pay much attention to what you quote.
Read your green text again.
That would all still be on his wife, you dumb fuck.

>>1296030
Where I work we have three flag poles.
One for the US, one for the state and the third for whatever. They are visible for over a mile away from the direction I approach and I pass by them going in the gate.
I cannot tell you for a fact whether or not ANY flag has actually been flying for the least several weeks.
You would be stupefied learning how much visual information people simply don't register unless someone points it out or they make a conscious effort to notice it.
>>
>>1296034
>That would all still be on his wife
Considering he lied about that, he can't be trusted.

>Where I work we have three flag poles.
And how often do they fly them upside down? Anecdotal evidence on your part that can be thrown out.
>>
>>1296035
>Considering he lied about that, he can't be trusted.
Do you have actual proof of who raised the flag?
You have had several opportunities to provide it yet here we are.

>And how often do they fly them upside down?
Irrelevant, you fucking dickwad.
The entire point of my anecdotal evidence flew right over your head.
You are simply too stupid to see the words right in front of you.
They could have been flying it upside down for week... I would not have noticed.
I barely notice the 4 giant flags at the dealerships on my drive to and from work.
Fucking hell, you are dense.
>>
>>1296066
Whoever taught you how to damage control should be fired for incompetence.
>>
>>1296028
>Does your tin foil hat allow you to peer into Alito's head, read his deepest thoughts? Are you recording the signals for admission as evidence?
Hilarious coming from you, who is claiming that you do implicitly know what was in Alito's head, and that it is proof of his treason and requires his immediate disbarment.

>>1296035
>Considering he lied about that,
[citation still needed]
>>
>>1296031
>So Alito is either guilty and unqualified to sit on the court or stunningly incompetent and unqualified to sit on the court.

Or option 3: libshits making up stories to pearl clutch over will not result in the disbarment of a sitting SCOTUS justice, no matter how much you whine and cry and stomp your feet and piss yourself over it
>>
>>1295943
>img
Motto isn't new to the GOP and it is a bipartisan initiative.
>>
>>1296029
>rawstory

Do you happen to have a valid source, and not a libshit propaganda rag?
>>
>>1296068
I'm not controlling your damage, simply pointing out how fucked up you are.
>>
>>1296069
>Hilarious coming from you, who is claiming that you do implicitly know what was in Alito's head, and that it is proof of his treason and requires his immediate disbarment.
Not once have any of my posts come anywhere near making such a claim. I'm simply going with what is given and keeping an open mind.
What the hell is wrong with you? You have closed your mind. No, your mind was never open to begin with.
Considering your replies in 1296069 and which posters they are being made to you are clearly confused and have lost track and who is saying and just as importantly, what is not being said.
>>
>>1296100
The problem is you never stopped to consider how wrong you are.
>>
>>1296072
If you don't like mainstream news sources go back to /pol/
>>
>>1296115
Just more proof you don't actually ready the post you respond to.
It is like you are replying to completely different posts, very perplexing.
>>
>>1296124
No one else here has any idea what your crazy headcanon is telling you.
>>
>>1296125
See, there you go again. You just are not capable of understanding simple concepts laid out before you.
Don't jump in the pool if you don't know how to swim. Fuck it, you go ahead and dive in head first.
>>
>>1296069
>>1296070
Alito claimed his wife did it because kids waiting for the bus saw a 'fuck trump' sign.
Except no kids would be around because school was virtual due to the Trump Virus pandemic.
And then he said he never noticed it even though it was like that for days, and after the failed Trump coup.
>>
>>1296016
You still are showing how piss poor your reading comprehension skills are.
You keep seeing things in posts that just are not there
>>
>>1296143
>Alito was caught in a lie
>All you can resort too is gaslighting
Nah, Altio was caught openly supporting stop the steal when he was overseeing cases related to it. The conflict of interest and corruption are light as day.
>>
>>1296160
You can't even follow from one post to another even when given the links in your own posts.
>>
>>1296177
Not him but he's right and your defense of Alito is comically bad.
>>
>>1296177
>Still trying to gaslight
That just doesn't work on /news/.
We haven't even gotten to the point that Alito is not only announcing his position in a case he's taken by flying the Trump Coup flag, prejudicing himself, but his position is backing the Big Lie, which sought to undermine democracy and the rule of law.
>>
>>1296186
Naw, he has no clue which posts are mine. He is completely lost on where the back and forth started.
Worse, your jumping in with absolutely nothing in your corner.
All I've done if point out in their own posts where their sources actually state the opposite. They simply are not comprehending what they are quoting. That right there is comedy gold and you've proudly added yourself to the alley.
>>
>>1296188
>your
you don't even have control of the english language, nobody is taking you seriously
>>
>>1296188
Why do chuds on this board always seem to have elaborate but very specific headcanons like this? What made them this way?
>>
>>1296188
>He's still trying to gaslight people on /news/
>>
>>1296193
they're instructed on what to say in order to further their shill narrative
>>
>>1296194
Nope, no gaslighting going on, numb-nuts.
>>
>>1296193
What headcanon? The posts are right there for you to still not read. Any headcanon is all yours.
>>
>>1296214
>Says he's not gaslighting, while still gaslighting
LMAO
>>
>>1296230
perhaps you should spend a few minutes using a dictionary?
>>
>>1296231
>He's still trying to gaslight, on /news/
>>
>>1295943
Doesn't this violate that code of ethics the supreme court passed?
>>
>>1296327
Who is going to check?
>>
>>1296066
Stfu wage slave.
>>
>>1296332
If nobody, we should hold them accountable. The French were blocking their politicians in their parliament buildings and spraying them with shit, we need to start getting creative here
>>
>>1296327
The point of being a scotus judge is that you can be trusted entirely and that includes ethics which may appear to color outside the lines, but what you're coloring is where the line should be. Big boy rules.

>>1296343
>We need to get creative and french revolution our political enemies
Ironic. Also not appropriate.

Reminder that scotus refused cert for the 2020 election.
>>
>>1296345
Why, yes. We should execute traitors.
>>
>>1296002
Good post.
Lefty /news/ shills are seething over facts.
>>
>>1296002
If there was an upside down flag flying outside of Kagan's, Sotomayor's, or Jackson's house, your hypocritical ass would claim they're committing treason.
>>
>>1296355
But they already are.
>>
>>1296345
The problem there the Republican justices are clearly corrupt we know at least Alito and Thomas are taking bribes. So the checks and balances need to step the fuck up.
>>
>>1296365
Who? Congress? lol yeah that's going to happen.
>>
>>1296365
>They aren't breaking the law appease my feefees
>That's CORRPUTION!!!
What children you children are.
How does a child get this childish?
>>
>>1296387
>Taking bribes from people who's cases you're hearing
>not corruoption
>>
>>1295969
No you twat, BURNING the US flag shows you hate this country and it's principles. Flying the fag flag OVER the US flag shows you value fags more than this country. Flying OTHER Countries flags while in the US is so fucking full of disrespect it boggles the mind. Yet Democrats do all of this, all the time, with no repercussions. Democrats are visible traitors beyond all doubt.

How many Democrats are going to get locked up for burning the flag or flying our enemies flags? None. That is how many. So shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1296022
>fact that Alito was actively taking cases regarding Trump's coup
You literally have democrat activist judges fucking people over left and right with made up bullshit. Your side doesn't have a hill to stand on, it's standing in a mile-deep pit.

Let's also not forget Democrats regularly wipe their ass with the constitution and it's amendments like it's toilet paper. I don't know where Democrats ever get the idea they are pro-constitution. It is black and white obvious they hate it, and only cite it when it rarely benefits them in the heat of the moment. Then they go right back to trashing it and ignoring it right after.
>>
>>1296465
>>1296467
>It's not reason if we do it.
Typical Republicans, or more aptly, conservatives.
Don't forget the traitors who attacked the capitol during Trump's failed coup, flew the flag of the confederacy, an enemy state who's entire existence was treason.
>>
>>1296467
>Let's also not forget Democrats regularly wipe their ass with the constitution and it's amendments like it's toilet paper.
An accusation of disregarding the constitution from modern conservatives is the absolute peak of irony.

>I don't know where Democrats ever get the idea they are pro-constitution. It is black and white obvious they hate it, and only cite it when it rarely benefits them in the heat of the moment. Then they go right back to trashing it and ignoring it right after.
There's no way you're actually projecting this hard with absolutely zero self-awareness.
>>
>>1296469
>Trump's failed coup
You mean J6? The event that took place while Trump was still in office?
Are you suggesting he committed a coup against himself, you dumb faggot?
>>
>>1296540
Look up the term Self-coup before making an idiot of yourself again.
>>
>Upside down flag is a signal of Distress
>Flag was upside down on Jan 6th. A date that was very distressful
Where is the issue?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.