[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

https://apnews.com/fb011f39af3b40518b572c8cce6e906c

ATLANTA (AP) — Marsha Appling-Nunez was showing the college students she teaches how to check online if they’re registered to vote when she made a troubling discovery. Despite being an active Georgia voter who had cast ballots in recent elections, she was no longer registered.

“I was kind of shocked,” said Appling-Nunez, who moved from one Atlanta suburb to another in May and believed she had successfully changed her address on the voter rolls.

“I’ve always voted. I try to not miss any elections, including local ones,” Appling-Nunez said.

She tried re-registering, but with about one month left before a November election that will decide a governor’s race and some competitive U.S. House races, Appling-Nunez’s application is one of over 53,000 sitting on hold with Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp’s office. And unlike Appling-Nunez, many people on that list — which is predominantly black, according to an analysis by The Associated Press — may not even know their voter registration has been held up.

Tuesday is Georgia’s deadline to register and be eligible to vote in the November General Election.

Kemp, who’s also the Republican candidate for governor, is in charge of elections and voter registration in Georgia.

His Democratic opponent, former state Rep. Stacey Abrams, and voting rights advocacy groups charge that Kemp is systematically using his office to suppress votes and tilt the election, and that his policies disproportionately affect black and minority voters.

Kemp denies it vehemently.

But through a process that Kemp calls voter roll maintenance and his opponents call voter roll purges, Kemp’s office has cancelled over 1.4 million voter registrations since 2012. Nearly 670,000 registrations were cancelled in 2017 alone.
>>
In a recent television appearance on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show With Trevor Noah” Abrams called Kemp “a remarkable architect of voter suppression.” That’s become a rallying cry for Democrats in the governor’s race, which recent public polling shows in a statistical dead heat.

Kemp, meanwhile, says Abrams and allied liberal activists are twisting his record of guarding Georgia elections against voter fraud.

His campaign spokesman Ryan Mahoney said in a statement that because of Kemp, “it has never been easier to vote in our state” and pointed to a new online voter registration system and a student engagement program implemented under his tenure.

“Kemp is fighting to protect the integrity of our elections and ensure that only legal citizens cast a ballot,” Mahoney said.

Two main policies overseen by Kemp have drawn criticism and legal challenges: Georgia’s “exact match” registration verification process and the mass cancellation of inactive voter registrations.

According to records obtained from Kemp’s office through a public records request, Appling-Nunez’s application —like many of the 53,000 registrations on hold with Kemp’s office — was flagged because it ran afoul of the state’s “exact match” verification process.
Under the policy, information on voter applications must precisely match information on file with the Georgia Department of Driver Services or the Social Security Administration. Election officials can place non-matching applications on hold.

An application could be held because of an entry error or a dropped hyphen in a last name, for example.

Appling-Nunez says she never saw any notice from Kemp’s office indicating a problem with her application.

An analysis of the records obtained by The Associated Press reveals racial disparity in the process. Georgia’s population is approximately 32 percent black, according to the U.S. Census, but the list of voter registrations on hold with Kemp’s office is nearly 70 percent black.
>>
Kemp’s office blamed that disparity on the New Georgia Project, a voter registration group founded by Abrams in 2013.

Kemp accuses the organization of being sloppy in registering voters, and says they submitted inadequate forms for a batch of applicants that was predominantly black. His office has said the New Georgia Project used primarily paper forms and “did not adequately train canvassers to ensure legible, complete forms ....”

His office says “the law applies equally across all demographics,” but these numbers became skewed by “the higher usage of one method of registration among one particular demographic group.”

Voters whose applications are frozen in “pending” status have 26 months to fix any issues before their application is canceled, and can still cast a provisional ballot.

But critics say the system has a high error rate and decry the racial disparity that it produces.

“We’ve shown that this process disproportionately prevents minority applicants from getting on the voter registration rolls,” Julie Houk, special counsel for the Washington based Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in an interview. With that in mind, she called it “kind of astounding” that Georgia legislators wrote it into state law in 2017.

Houk’s group wrote to Kemp in July threatening legal action if “exact match” wasn’t ended.

Kemp’s aggressive maintenance of the voter list has also garnered the threat of legal action.

His office says that they simply “conduct regular list maintenance of the voter rolls to ensure election integrity” as required by federal and state law. “All of the affected records were inactive as a result of returned mail, National Change of Address, and ‘no contact’ list maintenance procedures,” it said.
>>
This is all the republicans in Georgia can do to hold on to their shrinking demographic advantage
>>
Kemp dismissed and derided the legal threat targeting the “exact match” policy, issuing a statement saying that with Election Day coming up, “it’s high time for another frivolous lawsuit from liberal activist groups.”

His office said that since January 2014, elections officials have processed over 6.4 million voter registrations and less than 1 percent remain in pending status.

State Rep. Barry Fleming, who authored the state law enabling “exact match,” said in a statement that it’s authorized under federal law, and courts have upheld a similar law in Florida.

But Appling-Nunez said it’s important for every Georgian’s vote, including hers, to be counted in November.

“If you don’t like what’s happening you either have to vote to change it or get out there and change it yourself,” she said. “A life of politics is not for me so I have to support those who are fighting the good fight.”

tl;dr version, the Secretary of State of Georgia, who is running for governor, used his power as the secretary of state to block 53,000 lawful voter applications and predominated targeted black voters because they made up 75% of the list.
>>
>>299829
This isn't the Republican's only attack on democracy in Georgia, in August they attempted to shut down all but 2 polling stations in one predominantly black country but pulled back on the plan after they were shamed nationally and the individual who drew up the voter suppression plot was fired.
https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-county-votes-against-closing-polling-stations-1089576
>>
>>299832
Nobody here speaks in moon runes, /pol/.
>>
>>299834
sudo dnf install texlive-collection-langchinese.noarch
>>
>>299834
It's the usual dumb larping faggotry that all /pol/acks fall back on when they're incapable of making an actual point.
>>
>>299836
We call them /pol/luters due to their nature of shitting everything up.
Update your methodology.
>>
blame it on the ADA libshit

During a “courtesy” meeting Thursday night, the Randolph County Board of Elections, a county located near the Georgia-Alabama border, informed residents of the possibility that seven of the nine voting locations would be eliminated since the county did not have time to make them wheelchair accessible before the midterms, according to local media reports
>>
>>299838
The seven locations they want to close are not in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which requires wheelchair accessibility to all public buildings. As a solution, one board member suggested voters could still apply for an absentee ballot by mail.
>>
>>299838
>>299839
The Randolph County Elections Board voted against the proposal to close seven of its nine precincts on a 2-0
wow, really huge conspiracy here when everyone on the election board votes to keep the voting stations open, HUUUUGE voter suppression here.
Its an ADA issue they chose to ignore, not some grand conspiracy
>>
>>299838
>>299839
>>299840
The elections consultant, Mike Malone, claimed that seven polling locations were not in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which requires wheelchair accessibility to all public buildings. Malone's proposal was to close the seven precincts because it would cost too much money and time to fix them before the election

Literally nothing, once again. an outside contactor told them they were not in legal compliance for disabled people, and it was unanimously voted by the board to ignore him
>>
>>299838
This was debunked the first time Republicans attempted their anti-democracy, anti-American scam this election cycle.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/us/randolph-county-georgia-voting.html
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/randolph-county-polling-places_us_5b77115ce4b0a5b1febb04fc

Also when called out to back up their data for justifying their anti-American voter suppression plot, Republicans were exposed as making it up.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/georgia-county-close-polling-places-access_us_5b7c7484e4b07295150dbaf3?la
>>
>>299824
>Kemp’s office has cancelled over 1.4 million voter registrations since 2012. Nearly 670,000 registrations were cancelled in 2017 alone.
Someone want to explain what changed in 2016-2017 that made nearly HALF the roll purges occur in one year?
>>
>>299839
>The seven locations they want to close are not in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which requires wheelchair accessibility to all public buildings
Holy shit, get some fucking plywood. Unless your polling station isn't on the first floor, in which case you live in fucking fairy land or something because they're inevitably churches and community centers. It's a dumb fucking reason to close the place and everyone knows it.
>>
>>299853
Look up Shelby County v. Holder where the Republicans Supreme Court struck down key provisions on the Civil Rights Act which allowed for voter suppression tactics that Kemp and Republicans employed to go into overdrive.
>>
>>299839
>ballot by mail
Ballot by mail is terrible. It permits all manner of fraud. Including: vote selling, intimidation, counterfeiting, etc. One of the strongest security measures against this is the little old lady at the polling place.
>>
>>299855
>It's a dumb fucking reason to close the place and everyone knows it.
Agreed.
I'm sure that's why the entire council voted against the contractors recommendations
>>
>>299870
>This post
Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.
>>
>>299870
an even stronger method is asking her for ID
>>
>>299837
I'm going to call them the same thing I've been calling them for the last seven years, thanks. Go police people's language somewhere else.
>>
>>299886
Enjoy normalizing the cancer then.
>>
>>299887
Whether or not any given piece of cancer gets normalized on 4chan has never had, and never will have, anything to do with whatever retarded FOTM forced meme you're pushing. IIRC the word was different last month.
>>
>>299832
Are /pol/edditors still trying to force this meme?
>>
>>299890
five minutes ago*
>>
>>299877
>idiots
Vote selling by mail: "I'll give you $20 to vote Smith." "Okay, give them to me." "No, I can see you voted Jones." "Fine." Votes Smith.
Vote selling in booth: "I'll give you $20 to vote Smith." "Okay, give them to me." Goes into booth and votes Jones. "Haha. Sucker."

Intimidation by mail: "You better bite Smith, wife. Or you may single soon the stairs again." Votes Smith. Husband verifies.
Intimidation in booth: "You better bite Smith, wife. Or you may single soon the stairs again." Votes Jones. Husband scowls.

Shall I go on?
>>
>>299906
>bite. single soon.
Vote. Fall down.
Fucking phone.
>>
>>299906
>>299907
>Creating problems that don't exist
>Is a filthy phone poster
>>
>>299912
>problems that don't exist
You clearly have no idea.
>>
>>299915
proofs
>>
>>299916
His anecdotal evidence from his Republican uncle.
>>
>>299824
>Republican voting suppression
Oh boy American politics shills are coming. Hooray October
>>
>>299846
Is that the Huffington Post and NYT? I am not reading filthy, lying American rags after them abusing people for so long.

Stop being such a filthy ideologue and realize who these people are
>>
>>299916
>proofs
Why do you think secret ballots exist in the first place? It seems an oftly complex and expensive way of doing things unless it were devised to solve a problem. Don't you think?
Perhaps, if you actually spent a little time studying the history and design of election systems, you'd realize this.
But no, you're going to pull half-baked, unexamined ideas thoughtlessly out of your ass and just throw them out there.
Fuck you, your ignorant fuck.
>>
>>299965
that's a nice argument, but still not proof that it actually happens

why not find examples of this actually happening so we can see whether it's a problem that absolutely MUST be fixed to the tune of inconveniencing millions of non-sold mail voters
>>
>>299970
>mail voters
You mean absentee ballots? They're supposed to be for specific purposes.
Being lazy is not one of them. I, for one, world love to see perjury prosecutions for persons requesting absentee ballots which bear cancellation of their home distract's zip code.

But back to why secret ballots. You'll have to actually study legislative history and debates, i.e. the arguments of people better informed than you. But you want to continue being lazy. Fine. Here's a couple articles that popped up in I've minute from the term "vote selling:"
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/25/13389980/ballot-selfie-legal-illegal
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/3/13478042/third-party-clinton-vote-trading
Again, invest a little damn effort into understanding the topic on which you are offering commentary.
Fuck you, you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>299824
Republicans are pure evil. They have no principles. They are immoral criminal thugs who spit in the face of democratic values.

Here's the latest development in an ongoing saga of GOP officials depriving American citizens of their constitutional rights because of racism:
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/11/campaign-congressional-candidate-mike-siegel-disputes-account-workers-/
>>
Well they pretty much wrote the book on cooking elections, this is just another in a long list of Republican election tampering
>>
>>299829
Soon moshi, very soon
>>
>muh voter suppression
Like nigga just walk
>>
>>300384
Walk where? They got purged from the rolls and Georgia doesn't have same day registration.

Also closing every polling station in a county but two is a scum tactic and everyone knows it.
>>
>Kemp’s office blamed that disparity on the New Georgia Project, a voter registration group founded by Abrams in 2013.
>Kemp accuses the organization of being sloppy in registering voters, and says they submitted inadequate forms for a batch of applicants that was predominantly black. His office has said the New Georgia Project used primarily paper forms and “did not adequately train canvassers to ensure legible, complete forms ....”
>His office says “the law applies equally across all demographics,” but these numbers became skewed by “the higher usage of one method of registration among one particular demographic group.”

This doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Why would exact match somehow inherently affect
minorities disproportionately?
>>
>>300398
Yes lets believe the guy who's going to directly benefit from this there's no reason he'd mislead the public about this at all.
>>
>>300398
I don't have info about what specifically those incomplete forms were missing, but if the forms have "Are you a citizen? Prove it" filled out, anything extra is just technicalities so they can pull this bullshit.
So say hypothetically the fast group didn't ask age/race/affiliation or something that should have zero impact on voting eligibility, but the forms had a box for that information, they could hypothetical toss out those forms on technicalities.
Again, just possibility, no source for my thoughts.
>>
>>300413
What's there to believe? The only reason for applications being on hold that the article actually mentions is they failed exact match. Why would exact match affect minorities disproportionately?

Also, these people can still vote provisionally. Their applications haven't been rejected, they're on hold.
>>
>>300446
>Why would exact match affect minorities disproportionately?
Names with hyphens or upper case letters in unconventional parts might not be entered properly by the people running the registration system. Perhaps the person might also forget to add a title to the end of their name also like Jr. or III

>Also, these people can still vote provisionally. Their applications haven't been rejected, they're on hold.
They can still participate it just wont actually matter in any way. Great.
>>
>>300450
>Names with hyphens or upper case letters in unconventional parts might not be entered properly by the people running the registration system.
Is there data that this is more likely to happen for minorities? It's not obvious. But more to the point, if it's so difficult, why is it so hard to believe Kemp's claim that Abrams' registration group fucked up?

>They can still participate it just wont actually matter in any way
Do you have any real reason to say this or are you just trying to affirm your foregone conclusion?
>>
>>300452
>are you just trying to affirm your foregone conclusion?
Yes. I'm hopeful that any of these registrations that were done in good faith will be allowed to vote but I'm not expecting them to because Kemp is running the election and he's one of the people that would probably stand to lose if they're allowed to vote.
>>
>>300461
Lowest info voters? I thought that was Fox News viewers.
>>
>>300500
Nuh-uh! People who watch Fox News and read Breitbart are well informed, based, redpilled, and are all upstanding citizens and good Christians
>>
>>300452
The flaw with your damage control is unless you follow up, you won't even know you were purged from the voter rolls since unless you're registered and weren't purged, you don't receive any information.
Which is why this sort of voter suppression that Kemp is doing is so effective. Also, they didn't report it until the very last day you were eligable to register. So it's pretty clear this is both racially biased and unAmerican.
>>
>>300519
If it's as you say, that would only be evidence that the timing of the notification was politically motivated. The registration policy itself sounds apolitical, and even if you believe the worst it's hard to claim racial bias unless you can actually show it was the policy that caused the racial disparity and not something else.
>>
>>299824
Kemp should have to resign from that position, full stop, in order to run. It's stupid that this isn't already the case.
>>
>>300461
>I don't blame them. Niggers are the lowest information voters out there, the very fact they can vote at all is bad for democracy. Any action to correct that is only a good thing
tbqh there is a swathe of people from all demographics that are low information.
We would be a much better country if you actually had to take some sort of test which required photo ID in order to vote on each issue to show that you are knowledgeable enough about each issue to actually make an intelligent decision.. yeah, its voter suppression, but idiots, felons, and illegals should not vote for things
>>
>>300521
75% of those targeted are blacks, it's pretty clear they've found a way to target black voters on this scheme.
And it shows a massive conflict of interest on Kemp's part where he has every incentive to rig the vote in his favor.
>>
>>300521
Re you serious? This gerrymandering and restrictions that limit registration numbers has been going on in many states.
Common factors?
- Republican state governments
- Overwhelmingly disadvantages black voters

It's not hard to keep up, it been in the news.
>>
>>300563
You've missed my point or skipped over the thread. The 53,000 who are affected are indeed disproportionately black. But were they also disproportionately handled by Adams' registration group, as Kemp claims? You can't just state the result in a vacuum, point to one factor and claim it as the cause.

>>300564
None of these are at issue here. We're discussing specifically Kemp, and his office's practice of voter roll purges and exact match requirements.
>>
Whats the legitimate argument for not having same day voter registration anyway? Why aren't people able to register to vote at the polling location?
>>
>>300627
I assume it's so they have the time to check the registration to make sure it's legitimate.
>>
>>300542
We would not. Sure most of your voters would be educated on the issues, but having six million educated voters instead of sixty million kind of educated only guarantees that you know the people who get to vote understand what they are voting for or against. Guy could still vote to screw everyone else out of pure greed. Do you really think Republicans at the top believe massive tax cuts are going to pay for themselves and benefit anyone long term except the rich?
>>
>>300615
Maybe if you weren't clutching to straws defending an Unamerican hack who spits in the face of the sacrifice the troops with these acts, you'd know Kemp's long and infamous history of voter suppression.

FACT
Kemp celebrated the Republican Supreme Court's decision of partially overturning the Voting Rights Act by letting localities know they had free reign to shut down polling locations. With Kemp’s encouragement, 214 polling places have been eliminated in the state of Georgia, “disproportionately in rural, poorer, and blacker counties,” according to an analysis by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/feature/abrams-kemp-bring-long-running-war-over-voting-rights-to-georgia-governors-race

FACT
Earlier this year, a consultant, who was personally handpicked by Kemp, went to Randolph County, a majority-black county in southwest Georgia, and tried to convince county officials to close 7 of 9 polling locations. National outrage and efforts by groups that defend America like the ACLU prevented the plan from coming to fruition.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/georgia-voter-suppression-brian-kemps-bid-for-governor-depends-on-erasing-the-black-vote-its-working.html

FACT
Between 2013 and 2015, Kemp attempted to use a similar “exact match” voter suppression scheme to disenfranchise minority voters. He managed to cancel nearly 35,000 voter registration applications, of which 76 percent were minority voters, according to a lawsuit filed at the time. Kemp eventually relented in his efforts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/10/12/georgias-gop-gubernatorial-candidate-brian-kemp-sued-over-claims-of-suppressing-53000-minority-voters/?utm_term=.46b6beb914d4&noredirect=on

The last one is important because this wasn't the first time Kemp has attempted this tactic to suppress the black vote in Georgia. So to say he's doing things right is a load of shit.
>>
Who cares, almost all people in this country are too stupid and uneducated to vote. Even the people with educations, don't even understand what they are voting for or basic economics.
>>
>>300615
While those issues stated are not being discussed here, they form part of a pattern of behaviour by a group of politicians that is quite relevant to this topic
>>
Republicans should off themselves.

You could probably convince them all to do it too, just say God and freedom and George Washington's ghost commanded it
>>
>>300676
This.
>>
>>300756
>being this much of a millenial
>>
>>300759

Please, let's not pretend Republicans aren't either evil or retards. I'm saying this for your own good; I'm certain you don't want to appear stupid and assuming that A) Republicans aren't evil or retarded, or B) Anybody (other than a Republican) is oblivious and ignorant enough to not realize they are, would both be good ways to appear as such.

Don't thank me, I believe in caring for people's happiness, it's why I'm not a Republican.
>>
>>300761
evil retard detected
>>
>>300763

Listen, I won't go into detail about the reasons Republicans are a part of manchildren and attempting to defend them is insane, because ultimately you'd come out looking absolutely subhumanly moronic and it could hurt a Republican snowflake's feelings.

Just know that everyone has the ability to better themselves and grow, that it feels great to do so, and thus Republicans are blessed with the potential to feel really great quite frequently.
>>
>>300765
"i'm not going to argue with you because i'd win" - modern discourse
>>
>>300769

Tbf I've attempted legitimate debate with laymen of the relevant party multiple times before but the amount of bullshit, logical fallacies, and pigheadedness is not encouraging. The defense mechanisms employed to guard against the intrusion of legitimate points, reason, and questioning are many.

Not that I haven't had similar experience from the other side, but at least I can generally expect a conversation, not lecturing what quickly becomes a surly child.
>>
>>300769
Sometimes, it's just not longer worth arguing basic ideas.
With kids and those new to society, we can talk with them about it. But if you're posting here, we assume you have access to the internet outside of 4chan, so if someone is ignorant still, it's highly unlikely anything will change their minds.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.