[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 137.jpg (358 KB, 512x512)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
Old thread:

Search terms:

Agriculture - Permaculture - Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Berkeley Method Hot Composting - Hugelkultur - Rooftop Gardening - Vertical Gardening - Subsistence Agriculture - Square Foot Gardening - Shifting Cultivation - Polyculture - Deep Water Culture (DWC) - Composting - Ley Farming - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Co-operative Farming - Orchard - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Sugar Bush - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method - Ruth Stout No-work Garden - Rain Gutter Garden - Core Gardening Method - Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System

Animal Husbandry - Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees / Apiary - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish - Donkey - Ostrich - Worms - Snails / Heliciculture - Black Soldier Fly (BSF) - Beefalo - Guineafowl

Resources:

General Information, videos, and Tips(Version 2018-4-24): https://pastebin.com/fgtfcmLH
Beginner Fungi/Mushroom/Mycology Guide: https://pastebin.com/ddb6fAPS

Homegrowmen Thread Archives (WinRAR/WinZip/7Zip etc open rar archive files):

Threads "1" to 130 plus extras:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r2rge49h7s9e4qe/Homegrowmen+Threads+1+to+130.rar
>>
File: 1529366776302.jpg (108 KB, 878x878)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>1312881
Old Thread: >>1310319

>tfw screwed up yet again
>>
File: IMG_20180711_162009.jpg (2.74 MB, 2592x1944)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
Hey lads, need a few tips. I have an empty balcony I plan to use for growing vegetables/herbs with wooden planters.

What sort of seeds would be good to sow at the start of july in a mostly sunny and warm climate? (netherlands)
Pic related.
>>
File: Farming Flowchart.png (1.09 MB, 1920x860)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>1312841
>>1312843
Here's the full pic, I meant to post.
>>
>>1312891
Learn the "days to maturity" for crops you like to eat then look up your first frost date and how many days away that is.

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-netherlands-first-frost-date-map.php
https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-netherlands-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

Then you will better know what stuff you may be able to grow before a killing frost and without a polytunnel or greenhouse. Where I live, which has a month or more less of a growing season left than yours does, we plant pumpkins, radish, cole crops, carrots, and a ton of other stuff.
>>
>>1312885
what happened anon?
>>
>>1312900
Thanks, anon. I was hoping to grow some cucumber, lettuce, onions and broccoli.
I'll give that a read.
>>
>>1312891
Ghetto/10, get in touch with that bamboo renegade and plant on your property line with it like a living ever expanding border wall. Run the cukes and peas up the bamboo. Have fun and grow some delicious lettuces. Bamboo is also good fashioned into pungi sticks or repelling fixed spears on your ramparts. What do you have to lose?
>>
File: IMG_20180711_154355.jpg (2.79 MB, 2592x1944)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>1312920
I already have a watchtower, courtesy of the previous inhabitants.
(on the right side I just planted grass in that bit of ground, the sand top right is where the chicken coop will go)
>>
>>1312923
Looks comfy. Where is the garden spot? On the concrete pavers?
>>
File: IMG_20180707_151550.jpg (2.37 MB, 2592x1944)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>1312926
it was a literal overgrown jungle when I moved in, the weeds rose above the fence and the tiled weren't visible because of all the sand and dirt caked in them. Had to hose down all the weeds with poison after chopping down the weeds with a makeshift machete and run a hose pressure cleaner on the tiles.

I plan to have a chicken coop, a few planters with fruit and vegetables and build a BBQ with bricks where the tower is now.
>>
File: IMG_20180711_154729.jpg (2.38 MB, 2592x1944)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>1312928
The few planters I have in old rusted out buckets.
>>
File: 1493158085726.jpg (67 KB, 500x525)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_8327.png (97 KB, 642x361)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
Can someone tell me what the mounds Varg uses to grow his seed balls are called? Are there really any major benefits to using them to establish permaculture vegitation vs other methods?
>>
>>1312928
Chickens are allowed? I thought your country was civilized but chickens at an apartment reminds me of that Brazilian who posted a few months ago. Not that I mind a few chickens but you would end up with some crazy vegan chicken rescuer on one side of you and a Haitian on the other side doing Santeria.
>>
>>1312929
Those cherry tomato plants are so cute. Impressive fruit to leaf ratio
>>
>>1312941
yeah chickens are fine as long as they are in your back garden and not inside the building. Making a nice little area for them to fuck around in with a sand spot and shadow spot. Neighbours are fine with it so now I just need to make or buy a chicken coop once the grass has grown a little.
>>1312942
I bought them like that at the store, had to replant them in those buckets. I wanted something in my garden at least because it's pretty dead otherwise.
>>
Besto making time. I've got to cut down the basil that has been growing for 2 weeks since last harvest.
>>
>>1312904
Anon didn't put the link to the old thread in the OP obviously.
>>
>>1312923
That space is smaller than any one of my compost piles.

*runs outside and hugs his 50 acres*

>>1312935
Hugelkultur? Got a photo or vid link to see them?
>>
File: IMG_8329.png (2.57 MB, 1334x750)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB PNG
>>1312970
https://youtu.be/lRuAs9h4nlo

Sorry for the poor shot. It's hard sifting through all the shaky camera work to find a good example, but it looks like they scatter seed balls over them every few weeks in the spring. Marie does her best though.
>>
>>1313048
Oh, I remember now. They have this odd view of land use and making more work for themselves for calories harvested in the mistaken belief it is better. They give permaculture a bad name. If they were actually organized and more educated in these matters they could do far less work, get far more food, use less land, and still be 200% permaculture/organic/etc. Seed balls are best used after you've planted all the good ground and you have seeds you want to use up. So, you'd toss them out in the wild, instead of on anything you've constructed. Their methods are designed to be more holistic, but at their own expense in the end.

Yeah, those look like hugelkultur....just really bad hugelkultur.
>>
RIP corn and carrots for the 3rd time, shriveled in the sun
>>
>>1312929
This is extremely depressing
>>
>>1313079
Why would it be? i think recycling some old useless buckets is much nicer than buying new planters from the store.
>>
>>1313078
Lack of water or just nearer the equator and having a higher solar index?
>>
>>1312923
how often do you switch patrols
>>
File: 1516566513638.jpg (171 KB, 1500x1000)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
which edible plants can i easy grow inside?
>>
>>1313157
All of them, given you have enough room and light.
>>
>>1313162
i have 5 windows and a small room where i could install lamps.

im new to this so im looking for something easy to start with.
>>
File: 1527648763153.jpg (23 KB, 337x343)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I plan on making some compost bins today, but of course I have to over think things before I do things.

I've seen round and square bins from hardware cloth. What are the advantages of one over the other? I thought about maybe buying a hulahoop and using it as a frame for a lid, but I doubt that will hold up in UV. Do compost bins even need a lid? My composter up until now was just a large green trash bin that almost never got agitated. The bottom would be black and potent, while the top was dry.

Here are some examples of compost bins I have been considering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_goluMKO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAPNqIOQwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ChJiucqIQ

I already have the cloth and some extra twist ties. I could buy rebar, but I am trying not to spend needlessly. Same goes for tracking down 55 gallon drums. I have at least 3 large trash cans worth of leaves to compost and don't have space for an army of bitch sized compost bins. I'd rather have a few large ones and call it a day.

10' of hardware cloth costs about $15 in bulk. While it's not the most expensive material, I'd like to have everything planned out before I burn through $50 in materials for 3 bins.
>>
>>1313157
google.com
>>
>>1313170
Shit, I kinda like this one.

https://youtu.be/KR6R-Ue4qcQ?list=PLH4z_9MDD00KOft0U-sWf4RUapJg65z80

Her compost bin isn't bad either.
>>
>>1313165
How about starting with stuff you like to eat or would like to try? Most people do herbs and lettuce as their first then add in peppers later on.

>>1313170
Compost needs air flow. Hot composting needs to be turned in on itself every 2 days which is a huge chore, but it finishes within 18-20 days. Cold composting just needs a place to set for a year or so, but need air on all side possible.

Pretty much every cold composting bin I've ever seen is over engineered. You only need a bin if you must keep it contained to a small footprint. With hot composting you need to move it around a lot so using a bin becomes a major pain ASAP.

FYI, hardware cloth lasts a long time further than chicken wire does. Welded wire fencing lasts 20+ years, depending on how heavy gauge the wire is. If I were to put my compost into something, I'd use a square of landscaping timbers for the bottom ring, welded wire fencing to hold stuff in (wood stapled to the timbers), and no top. A 100 feet long, 4 feet high roll of welded wire fencing with 2"x4" holes costs about $115. If you made 4 feet wide circle "bins" you could make about 7.9 bins, not quite 8, with that much fencing. A 50' roll would be about $60 and make you 3.9 bins not quite 4. Wire tends to flop around and deform over time so I'd use 4 metal T-posts to secure it in place from wobble and deforming.

But, I save all that money and just dump the compost in a spot in the lawn.
>>
>>1313178
>>1313170
Oh, and don't sweat it with the 3.9 bins worth of fencing when getting a 50' roll of fencing. Just unroll it, and cut it into 4 pieces to make your circle/square and to hell with its diameter.
>>
>>1312878
Noir Des Carmes
>>
My organic fertilizers vary between 30-50% organic material, am I being lied to?
>>
File: Soon.jpg (170 KB, 1200x630)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1313181
Now I'm thinking about doing one long run in the shape of a rectangle and copying Tits McGee's design or something similar so I can make an access door for tossing that shit about. I had an open compost area before, but between the dogs and the Japanese beetles it pretty much vanished into the Earth. I did a bit of a hybrid compost area by building a raised bed and then tossing in some dead leaves, chunks of wood and then adding partially composted leaves, perlite, and soil. I mixed that shit around and then soaked it. I also added some wood ash. About a super sized soda's worth : 40 cu feet. Since soaking the bed I covered it in dried palm fronds to help lock in some of the moisture and let it call compost further. I am not sure how long I will let it cook before planting something. I'm a lazy SOB compared to other DIYers, but 20 days of hot composting sure sounds appealing compared to the cold year long shit I've been doing.
>>
File: 2016-05-30_00-36-08.jpg (395 KB, 1200x798)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>1313133
Not him, but you'd be surprised how easily plants can sunburn in general, especially if they never saw UV before.
For example, I once put a Dracaena fragrans (a species that should be able to handle very intense UV) outside for just a few hours in early February at 50°N (UV index 2 max) because the weather was nice and I thought I'd do it something good, the result was burnt foliage - here a pic where you can clearly see the non-downwards bent part of a leaf scorched still several months later
That's why, to avoid tedious hardening processes, I try to get out my indoor-started shit as early as possible. Good weather forecasts in late March? Into the ground my tomatoes and peppers go. That way I have on average less losses than to the random rare freak late frosts, I had all my peppers survive -3°C last year
>>
>>1313186
>Noir Des Carmes

No wonder it looks so different. Neat.

>>1313189
You need to know what, "organic," means in context with what you are reading on any commercial fertilizer. For instance, there's both organic calcium and inorganic calcium. Inorganic nitrogen fertilizers come in many forms; ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, and urea. Oh, and water is not organic, so a solution of water and fertilizer won't be 100% organic. Anything without a carbon atom in it will be inorganic and that's a lot of stuff. Like water there is a lot of inorganic fillers used in fertilizers to properly dilute them. Otherwise, you'd have 100% root burn every time.

>>1313191
Normally, corn has access to full sun all the time. It isn't one of those things that commonly gets sun scaled and people rarely ever need to harden it off since pretty much no one starts them indoors to set out later. However, there are some dwarf corn varieties used on porches in containers. Setting those out for a day when they were on the porch under a roof could do it. The reason you don't start corn indoors is because the root system really doesn't like it and corn is light active. If you plant it too early it messes with its reproduction cycle.
>>
File: bIMG_2159.jpg (277 KB, 1226x912)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
3rd pass through the beans today, and the first 3 rows I planted seem to be hitting their stride. 1.5 lbs since the last pick 2 days ago. I'll probably get this much every 2 days for the next week.

The next 2 rows flowered and are just starting to get beans. Another row that was directly sown a few weeks behind those. And 2.5 more rows just popped out of the ground today. The last 3 - 4 rows are fairly shaded and won't produce as much.

I should have edible sized carrots in another week, maybe a few cucumbers too. Plenty of tomatoes, none ripe yet.
>>
File: Physalis peruviana.jpg (468 KB, 874x1556)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
First time growing ground cherries- looks good for something from produce aisle seeds
>>
>>1313196
Meanwhile I'm drowning in 30lbs of squash. Rains screwed over my tomatoes. I've tossed about half a bushel because of rain rot. I think maybe next year I'll put some rain covers over the soil when I think they've had enough water.
>>
>>1313194
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>1313194
Yeah, maize does best as direct sow.
But I even do it with watermelons now. It's generally recommended to start them indoors here where summer heat and sun intensity isn't that great and long, but this year I tried my first direct sow (late April) and it's working out great so far. I'm using "Sugar Baby" which is well suited for cooler climates, and now the biggest fruits are already above 1kg, so they'll definitely ripen in time. Starting indoors might have given me a week or two advantage, but I don't need that, I'm fine with an early-mid-August harvest, especially since I saved myself the annoying hardening process this time
>>
File: Passiflora caerulea.jpg (488 KB, 874x1556)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
>>
>>1313202
I start all my stuff in February, fyi. I think most of my watermelon have died due to higher than average rainfall. In fact, I tossed my largest watermelon today because of it. It was 18 inches long already.

>>1313198
Those are the oranges ones right? What do they taste like?
>>
>>1313207
Yeah, tomatoes and peppers I start indoors in February too in order to get a first harvest in June (tomatoes) or July (bell peppers), but each year there's tons of "wild" tomato seedlings popping up all over the veg garden (from where fruit fell down the previous year or I composted them) by late April, many of which I also keep and transplant, often with good results (although harvests start a bit later in their case)
Luckily it has been very dry here in the past couple months, so no (false) mildew on my mellers yet, but I have to water them daily, using little flower pots dug into the ground next to their main "stems" in order to not wet the foliage
>>
>>1313207
>What do they taste like?

Hard to describe. I'd say they taste like a sweet tomatillo; they're really nice when fully ripe.
>>
File: IMG_20180711_155959.jpg (2.64 MB, 3264x2448)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
I swear, this thing doubles in size every day.
>>
File: IMG_7951X-1.jpg (1.8 MB, 1200x900)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
Is this pretty close to what promix is?

7 cubic feet of peatmoss
3.5 cubic feet vermiculite
3.5 cubic feet perlite
8 pounds of ground limestone
>>
File: red_raspberry1.jpg (177 KB, 1024x680)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Hi all,

I have some wild red raspberries that I acquired from a local ravine. They produce a lot of flowers, but the berries are often malformed and only have a few segments per drupe. This is also true of the berries at the local ravines and conservation areas as well, they just don't produce a lot of complete, healthy fruit. Is there any way to deal with this? I love the flavour of wilds compared to domestics, but the low yield is not worth it atm.
>>
>>1313303
To be entirely honest with you, that's how wild raspberries are. You can try pumping a shitton of water and maybe some ammonium nitrate in there, but you're only going to modestly increase the number of buds on any individual raspberry. The commercial/domestic ones you're thinking of are typically either developed from years of selective breeding, or they're GMO. I guess if you wanted to start over from scratch for next year, you could probably try crossing wild and domestic raspberries and planting the seeds. All you need is a q-tip and flowers from both.
>>
>>1313231
is that a punkin? i want to meme it.
>>
>>1313303
maybe keep the better canes and cut the rest out

or look for better looking wild ones, stick the ends in the ground, then come back and take the new plants

there are black raspberries all of the place, and for the most part, they grow just fine
>>
>>1313311
Lame, I was hoping I might just have a weak batch. The cross-breeding idea is tempting - I've had it happen spontaneously between the wild reds and black in my backyard and the berries taste pretty good, no reason why it wouldn't work for wild reds and domestic reds.

>>1313314
The wild ones are starting to fruit now, so I will try to identify any strong producers in the area. So far the results aren't promising, but it's worth a try. Thank god the blacks aren't this bad, at least I always have them.
>>
>>1313303
wew the raspberries growing wild in my property is excessive to the point where we just let them fall off and compost the soil.
>>
>>1313240
What's this promix meme?
>>
>>1313332
>>
Here is a cheeky wild edible native to the Eastern United States.

Ipomoea pandurata

Uses: The Cherokee poulticed root for rheumatism: “hard tumors.” Cherokee, Creek and Iroquois used root decoction as a diuretic, laxative, expectorant; for coughs, asthma, beginning stages of tuberculous; blood purifier; powered plant used in tea for headaches, indigestion. Root extract shown to have strong antimicrobial activity. The large, deep-set, starchy edible rootstock can weigh 20lbs. or more, but is difficult to dig.
>>
>>1313303
Mulch them with sawdust and keep them watered well.
>>
>>1313338
But does it work?
>>
File: digging-a-trench-with.jpg (59 KB, 472x450)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1313351
>but is difficult to dig.

That's an understatement. You need a backhoe for those things.
>>
Getting chickens soon, I know how to take care of them, I've had them before. Give me some lesser knowns tips and tricks.
>>
Would taking blackish soil from a forest to amend a sandy garden bed, work?
>>
>>1313354
its pretty much what nurseries and smaller farms use. Its kind of "inert" soil-less mix.
>>
>>1313370
Almost Anything is better than sand anon. Forest dirt is pristine cause you got the layer of rotting foliage just building up over the course of lifetimes.
>>
File: 1524506006992.jpg (78 KB, 499x499)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1313385
>farmers
>>
How bad of an idea is it to plant in compost that isn't "ready" yet? I still have leaves and bits of identifiable matter in my mix.
>>
File: 58585_218.jpg (36 KB, 640x480)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1313365
If one is losing feathers on its back, because it is the rooster's favorite, you can make a saddle for it (pic).
If you get chicks to raise or hatch your own, put down a sacrificial towel, in their box, to ensure their feet have proper traction and don't end up deformed.
Use tree limbs of slightly varying thickness and shape as roosts to help prevent foot problems later in life.
Only have 1 rooster per 10-12 hens.
If the chickens graze out in open areas you can either make a hawk hide shelter they can run to or put up long poles with fishing line spanning out from the top tied to other things to prevent birds of prey from attacking the chickens. Fishing line degrades in UV, until it is brittle and breaks, but it can be a quick cheap fix until you get better shelters up.
Use a padlock on your chicken coop to help stop nighttime raids from raccoons.
Keep your food station and nest boxes in completely different rooms to prevent daytime raids from raccoons/opossums/sparrows from disturbing the egg laying fowl.
Use a beaded curtain on the small coop door to the feeding station to prevent sparrows from entering and eating the chicken feed all day long.
Letting the chickens roam on a large pasture that has grass seed will save you quite a bit of feed.
Blackberry patches make great hawk hides and good feed for the chickens, but keep the rows narrow so you can look into them and spot eggs being laid out.

>>1313370
Yes, it is humus and pretty good stuff.

>>1313393
It is bad only if it still has too high a nitrogen content that can cause root burn and from plant pathogens from still rotting things. If the pile is 1 year or older, you can plant pumpkins and squash. If you mix it to make soil then it may start to rob the soil of nitrogen if there's still a good amount of wood matter in it. Otherwise, it'll be fine. You can tell mostly from the smell. If there's a garbage smell or off odor then wait longer and stir it up a bit. If it smells like mushrooms it is ready.
>>
>>1313312
Melon, sorry.
>>
File: IMG_7950rs.jpg (2.4 MB, 1800x1350)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
I hate having such a short growing season. Just started my broccoli today.
>>
>>1313405
damn I was gonna make it the Pumpkin of Perseverance, we already have a meller
>>
>>1313415
nice setup
>>
are these a threat to my beppers? i see a bunch of them in my buckets along with centipedes
>>
Is anybody growing pumpkins this year?
>>1313420
>>
>>1313420
We have a watermelon, can this be the muskmeller?
>>
>>1313428
eh, I guess so
>>
>>1313423
thanks, took a few years to get it the way I want it.
>>
>>1313429
Thank you, lad.
>>
File: tomatos.png (4.14 MB, 1945x1468)
4.14 MB
4.14 MB PNG
Is there anything to panic over?
>>
>>1313425
No they're good friends, they mainly eat dead wood in the mulch, only incredibly small seedlings are at risk
>>
>>1313434
Bit of sunburn and pest damage on the leaf, barely anything to fret over. Those hairs on the stem and leaf are natural
>>
Anyone ever grow Ausilio Thin Skinned Italian pepper?
>>
>>1313482
Thanks for taking a look mate, the base of the stem looked to me like it had some weird scarring, a small area without any of those fine white hairs.
>>
>>1313491
It seems alright, as long as the rest of the stem isnt suffering. Keep an eye on it though, look out for swelling and above-ground roots, pic related. Could be a sign of overwatering or compacted soil
>>
>>1313426
yep
>>
>>1313425
>>1313463
Millipedes and isopods will consume anything and everything touching the soil where they can get to it. Centipedes are predators, but a lot of people confuse garden millipedes with them. Millipedes are a bane if you have shallow root crops like radishes, turnips, and carrots. The best thing to do is use mulch so they have a good place to stay and eat the detritus instead of eating your plants and fruits. If it rains a lot, expect to to see them higher up in your plants munching away. They can ruin an entire tomato or strawberry crop overnight. I rarely ever seen them munching on my peppers thankfully. When they do it is normally something dead on the plant like a leaf, but not a pepper fruit.

>>1313426
I have like 100 pumpkin plants. There are a few 12" in diameter already.

>>1313428
Anon said that >>1313231 is a, "Noir Des Carmes," cultivar which is a type of cantaloupe (aka muskmelon).

>>1313434
Physical damage on the right two pics. Not sure what I'm looking at in the blurry left pic. The white stuff could be anything from fungus to mineral deposits from the water evaporating all the time.. Is there similar white stuff on the rockwool in the background or is that just the light reflecting?
>>
>>1313569
I am the Muskmelon anon
>>
Tobacco coming in nicely.
First time growing them and not really sure when to pluck off the leaves.

anyone got any tips?
>>
>>1313580
Basically, remove any seed pods unless you want that plant to give you seed. Leave the leaves on longer if you think you need to since that is okay, but harvesting them earlier isn't good. As the leaves start to yellow from the bottom up, pluck them off when they are 1/2 or 3/4 yellow, and start drying those leaves only. Normally, people harvest 2-3 weeks after flowering or topping. Remember that you need time to cure them so don't wait so long that your local weather gets cold and prevents the process from finishing. For varieties that don't yellow from the bottom up, you'll notice that the leaves get thicker and heavier. The greener they are the longer it will take to dry/cure them.

>tfw only knowing this from research when I started seedlings years ago, but they all died because of bad weather causing dampening off.
>>
I recently moved to a place with a small (3mx3m) garden. The floor is paved and removing it isn't an option since I'm renting, but I can use pots or maybe a large wooden box.

How do I get started? Is there some recommended reading? What should I know? I'm on a 10b zone.
>>
File: 20180709_164352_HDR.jpg (4.26 MB, 4160x3120)
4.26 MB
4.26 MB JPG
>>1313165
Self-pollinators are your friend, manual pollination of m/f blossom crops are a pain in the ass indoors. This means greens, peas, beans, herbs, tomatoes and peppers (with some help on pollination).

Greens, tomatoes and peppers all love the sun, so you need to read up on your choices for indoor lighting - LED v fluorescent. All of the above plants can grow in either, it's more about your space confines and what containers you intend to grow in.

Consider hydroponics for indoors - it eliminates a vast majority of the bugs you import by bringing soil into your indoor space. Not all plants or cultivars take well to it however, some need specific nutrient and pH formulas to thrive on hydro.

There is tons of info out there, do some research before diving in. Start with easy stuff like herbs and lettuce.

Pic related is some indoor stuff I have going - in order left to right starting at top:
Boxcar Willie tomato, Juno tomato, Yellow Pear tomato, generic cherry tomato, Korean pepper. The leaf roll on some of the tomatoes has since calmed down, turned out I had the solution too strong and needed to dilute it a little bit.
>>
>tfw finding this gargantuan size map while looking up hardiness maps
>10800x7200 26.3mb, 2012 USA Hardiness Zone Map
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/Images/All_states_halfzones_poster_300dpi.jpg

>>1313588
You can put a raised bed over the paved floor. It can all be removed as needed.

>How do I get started?

List what you'd like to eat or grow then google, "how to grow ____". Most everything is pretty easy. Normally, the things you watch out for is weather like frosts and calculating days-to-maturity for you plant cultivar with how many days until your first frost. In 10b you'll have a nice long growing season, but if the season is half over, you may want to get short season cultivars of whatever you want to grow. Usually you'd look up stuff more suited to the north because of the shorter growing season.

You may need shade cloths for your plants, that's about the only specialty thing you may need in 10b. Mulch heavily to prevent the soil from drying out too fast.

https://www.gardenate.com/zones/USA%2B-%2BZone%2B10b
https://www.almanac.com/plants/hardiness/10
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/downloads.aspx

There are also lots of key search terms in the OP you may want to search up and see what suits you.
>>
File: 20180712_15084.jpg (1.27 MB, 4032x3024)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>1313588
Read up on raised beds.
you can easily build something like my mini garden.
>pic related
It's 90x60cm, the bottom tray is screwed in at about the center holding about 200l of soil volume. Yes, it's still moveable.

Read up on square foot gardening
that is 1 large plant per 30x30cm square. As always a bit more is better but my setup works for 6 plants.

good luck buddy.
>>
File: melon.jpg (1.54 MB, 2000x2000)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
This is the second season I'm trying my luck with watermelons on a balcony. Last year spider mites got their way, this year is looking good so far.
If the plant stays healthy this time, my only worry is about the fruits having enough time to ripen properly.

Black Diamond variety.
>>
>>1313622
Looks good so far!
>>
>>1313434
That stem looks like it's rotting. That plant is toast
>>
>>1313591
What's up with your tomatoes? They seem tall and spindly with no fruits or flowers. Something off with your light or fertilizer
>>
What are some aphid extinction level events? One large plant on my balcony was full of them. You didn't see them from above, but kneeling down and looking at the undersides of the leaves revealed literal armies of them. Then one day, they just all died. Did they all drink kool aid to see their god?
I didn't even do anything to the plant.
>>
>>1313591
Your LED looks like It's too high.

With LED you can get a lot closer than HID.

12-18 inches is ideal, Even with high power LED's (900 watters and triple chip COB's)
>>
File: crops.jpg (1.35 MB, 2345x1209)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
Hey /out/, what crop is this? The plants are about knee high.
>>
>>1313691
I think it's watermelon
>>
>>1313693
Aren't watermelons usually bigger than that? I get the feeling that you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1313691
Kinda looks like outdoor weed. You should hop over to 420chan to get a 100% positive ID.
>>
>>1313696
Nah, those are some perfectly ripe, 30 pound watermellers.
>>
>>1313696
Watermelons are root vegetables, those are the stems.
>>
>>1313705
Made me lol.
>>
>>1313705
You've never grown a proper meller, I assure you
>>
File: IMG_7949.jpg (2.86 MB, 1350x1800)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
Whats your fav seed company?
#1 Johnnys selected seeds
#2 Baker creek
#3 Seeds of Change
>>
HELP I’VE GOT MUSHROOMS! These look like Leucocoprinus birnbaumii to me after trying to identify it online, but I’m not entirely sure. It’s a species that feeds off dead organic matter, so I don’t think it will kill my plants. I’m hesitant as to what to do because I’m not sure if this could be a good thing or a bad thing. In my mind this could be good since fungus and other microbial life will break down organic material in my garden, contributing to soil fertility (as I understand it). In that case I would just leave the mushrooms to continue their symbiotic relationship with my plants. However I’ve read that this mushroom is poisonous and if it get’s it’s spores on my kale, I worry that it may make me sick, even if I thoroughly rinse the leaves off. I’d hate to have to uproot a whole garden bed, despose of the contaminated soil, amd start over. What would any of you advise I do? And I don’t really care if the mushrooms make my garden look ugly, if they can benifit me then they can stay.
>>
>>1313733
no idea what mushroom by mycelium grows like fucking weeds on wood chips, Good luck getting rid of that. Especially once it drops spores
>>
>>1313729
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
>>
>>1313674
They probably flew away and left their molt skins behind. Check for eggs they may have left behind.
>>
>>1313733
Also mushroom spores are not poisonous, Just like how magic mushroom spores won't make you hallucinate.
>>
>>1313740
That’s good to hear; puts my heart to rest about poisoning myself. But do you think my line of thinking is correct about fungus helping soil fertility? That’ll help me decide once and for all if they can say or not.
>>
>>1313691
That is an awnless winter wheat crop.

>>1313729
Which ever one has the weird seeds I need. After I have them, I save for next season and don't need to order more.
>>
File: IMG-20180705-WA0004.jpg (2.04 MB, 2240x3968)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>1313588
Make "stairs".
Pic related.
>>
>>1313738
Nice! not bad prices at all. Thanks anon
>>1313744
wish we could save but our gardens are not huge enough to keep plants far enough away to not get cross breeding.
>>
>>1313743
I don't know if fungus helping soil fertility, Sorry.

I am positive about the spores not being dangerous though. I grew mushrooms for many years for recreation (not magic mushrooms).
>>
>>1313733
Yeah, looks like Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, which is poisonous of course. It won't harm your plants and is probably helping them. Enjoy the neat oddity.

The poison in all mushrooms isn't a contact poison. You'd need to ingest a part of the mushroom itself. It is the digestion process that causes the toxicity. You can handle them all you like and not have a problem. Unless you are allergic to mushrooms or something weird.
>>
>>1313729
Baker Creek can eat a dick.
Unhelpful and hostile.
>>
>>1313752
sucks sorry anon, never had an issue with them.
>>
File: IMG_20180712_181654.jpg (2.66 MB, 2592x1944)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
Balcony lad from yesterday, here's some progress.
>>
>>1313743
Yes, you actually add fungi to your soil to help compost organic matter and have a symbiotic relationship with your plants.
>>
>>1313729
For the Euros;
Premier Seeds Direct on eBay.
Quality is good, good selection and prices are okay.
>>
>>1313747
Mine get cross bred all the time. I save and solider on.
>>
>>1313747
You're welcome, anon.
>>
>>1313752
What'd they do?
>>
>>1313729
The pastebin should include this info as it is one of the first steps a noob must make.

Also would be nice to get a list of EU seed companies too.

The only one I know is
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
>>
>>1313758
so what do you do if you have poor results during the third season if cross breeding?
>>
File: IMG_20180712_181708.jpg (2.54 MB, 2592x1944)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>1313754
Planted tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and rucola. First real time growing anything myself.
>>
>>1313762
Well whoever does the next thread should save and add that.
>>
>>1313749
No problem. Knowing that the spores are not toxic to me when they get on my vegetable was my greatest concern. Thanks.
>>1313750
>>1313755
Well then, what I was hoping for is true then. I’ll let the mushrooms do their thing. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1313765
They always balance out. Nothing ever remains great or bad for more than one generation with open pollination.

>>1313770
Well, just don't actively inhale fungi spores. They are all bad for you regardless of species.

>>1313769
There's actually a pastebin update soon with all links checked and more added. There's an entire European seed section now:

-------------------------
-European Seed Companies-
-------------------------

Search for seed companies: https://www.europages.co.uk/companies/seeds.html

http://eu.biovitalis.eu/

UK
http://groworganic.org/
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
http://www.westernseeds.com/
https://www.organiccatalogue.com/

Ireland
https://www.mrmiddleton.com/
https://www.fruithillfarm.com/
http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/
http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/
http://www.europrise.ie/
http://www.peppermintfarm.com/

Austria
https://www.arche-noah.at/english

Sweden
https://www.impecta.se/
http://en.runabergsfroer.se/

Germany
https://www.bingenheimersaatgut.de/
>>
anyone have any idea or know how to crush up larger chunks of pearlite?
>>
File: IMG_7954.jpg (2.32 MB, 2268x3024)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
been gardening since I was 12. Lol got my first batch of hot compost.
>>
>>1313789
I suppose it depends on how much you need to crush up and how find it needs to be. If it is only a small amount, some safety goggles and a small sledge hammer will work. For large volumes there are special perlite crusher machines. How large are the rocks?

>>1313767
Good luck!
>>
>>1313787
Good work anon
>>
>>1313787
Thank you, anon! Do you have discord?
>>
>>1313803
well I have 3.5 ft of super coarse pearlite. I want to add it into a seed starting mix but chunks are way to big (worked perfect) in raised beds.
Edit: I ended up putting about an inch in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucked and dropping a sledge hammer on it. Worked perfectly just need about 4 more gallons lol.
Thanks anon
>>
>>1313753
>>1313761
Fucked up my order. When I called them about it got a bitchy middle aged lady yelling at me before I could even finish my sentence.
Just wanted to know how we could fix it.
>>
>>1313787
Switzerland (shipping to the EU & UK))
>a lot of heirloom and rare species seeds
http://www.sativa-rheinau.ch/ (german)
https://shop.sativa-organicseeds.com/ (english)
>>
>>1313767
bit late for tomatoes maybe but good work anyway! remember to let some air pass, especially if it's hot
can already see some nigger stealing it thinking it's weed
>>
>>1313622
lewd + dubs
keep posting, anon
>>
>>1313827
Noted.

>>1313807
I only use 4chan.
>>
File: progress.jpg (1.44 MB, 2000x2000)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>1313834
I'm hesitant about posting pictures. There's always the danger of people recognizing me and judging me for browsing 4chan. What a terrible fate.
>>
>>1313837
possible, sure, but what are the chances? also, while you are on an overall degenerate site you are simply talking about gardening, not asking for an x ray of your sister's bikini pics

nice pot army anyway, is it me or it seems most of the posters those days are pot posters? actually good, means this is reaching into cities i guess?
all cool anyway, what are the smaller ones that just about sprouted?
>>
File: 082117seeds.jpg (160 KB, 990x556)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>1313837
Yes, watch out for that. These threads are more seedy than most of 4chan.
>>
File: bYaF0Xgh.jpg (280 KB, 1024x768)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>1312881
Why does this Big Boy look like shit? I have another one that's starting to flower, an Early Girl that's already fruiting, and some cherry tommater that's like 5 feet tall. But this one is barely hanging on.

I water the shit out of them every morning and hit 'em with miracle grow once or twice a week.
>>
>>1313840
I'd rather have my plants in the ground, but I don't have access to land I can use.
The small ones in the green tub are woodland strawberries. They've been stalling for a while now and I should probably plant them somewhere, but I'm a bit low on room.

>>1313841
Never trust people who enjoy playing with dirt. My mother always told me that, and yet here I am.
>>
Kratky guy update.

Today I topped the two largest Tomatoes.
That's it.
>>
>>1313584
you can also sweat them by stacking the leaves and wrapping them in a towel. Been doing that with my tobacco and it's coming along nicely.
>>
>>1313832
Considering its on my balcony thats not a big problem
>>
>>1313842
yeah.. water them deeply 2 times a week. they don't need a ton of water every single day.
>>
>>1313859
by deeply i mean an inch of water 2 times a week. like say you watered them today water them on sunday or monday.
>>
>>1313822
but you can't start a conversation with "hey cunt"
>>
>>1313842
That's probably too much fertilizer.

>>1313846
What cultivars?
>>
File: 20180712_123220.jpg (4.44 MB, 5312x2988)
4.44 MB
4.44 MB JPG
>>1313837
I know how you feel, it's hard to share your success on such a site.
>>
>>1313862
kek.
Actually I'm a very patient and polite customer. I still wonder what her problem was.
>>
>>1313837
As with porn:
>they need to be on this site to see you in the first place
And they can judge exactly squat then.
Also /hgm/ is probably the best all-purpose garding "forum" out here.
Advice that goes beyond "buy more shit". So many good advice that can be utilized for free.
No middle aged cunts with profile neurosis.
No social media wanking. When people share their gardens and shoe their progress, it's because they are honestly proud of their work, not for fucking upvotes.
>>
if i grow plants from seed, how long can i wait after they are at the right size to go in ground? will their growth get stunned if i wait too long?
>>
File: 2018-07-12_21-42-46.jpg (1.49 MB, 1800x1200)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>1313842
Easiest way to get the water to deeper levels without having to do it super slowly and/or having it run off the sides, which happens especially if you have hard clay, is to dig in flower pots which you can quickly fill at once. In the case of tomato, it has the added bonus that this way you can minimise dirt backsplash to the leaves, which can infect them with blight.
Doing it this way with lots of my stuff, including ornamentals.
Here for example on a recently planted dwarf palm
>>
>>1313878
It can get stunned if you let the roots dance in circles at the bottom of the pot. Or, if you have the pot indoors all the time, then suddenly move it out, sunburn can be an issue
>>
>>1313877
this
i only discovered this place a few months ago but it's literally the best thing on the whole site, i never post it around scared that some retard will ruin it
and it's much more down to ground than all weird blogs that make you buy all sort of weird stuff
>>
File: 2017-08-14_21-19-17.jpg (1.36 MB, 1805x1200)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>1313878
>>1313882
Example: pomegranate. Both plants on the pic sprouted simultaneously, but one of them was planted and the other kept potted, and sufficiently fertilised and watered, so that wasn't it - plus the pot got even more direct sun in its usual spot, just had moved it temporarily for comparison pic
>>
>>1313884
since you mention pomegranate: i have one plant that was all cut weird, basically growing vertically as fuck, i started a heavy cutting 2 years ago to give back a shape of a normal tree, but it stubbornly keep throwing out vertical growth
do i have to keep at it until the tree gets rebalanced or i should just chop it down?
>>
>>1313879
that's a pretty neat trick, thanks!
>>
File: DSC_1030a.jpg (766 KB, 1024x683)
766 KB
766 KB JPG
>>1313878
It more depends on soil temperature than anything else. Once the temps reach the proper warmth you can transplant at any time. Just make sure you google, "how to harden off plants." Keep in mind some plants are more sensitive than others to a new environment and need a bit more time or different method of hardening them off.

Watermelon are bad about being stunted if you let them stay in small pots too long.

>>1313884
>tfw finding the apple seedlings still in the tray hidden amount the squash jungle the other day.

They were still the same size they were like 2 months ago or how ever long its been. I planted them a few days ago (pic). They will be root stock, but I'll need to move them again at the end of the season. I'm surprised they even survived.

>>1313883
The staff do a pretty good job of no-nonsense moderating too. A few threads have had tons of posts purged in the past.

>>1313886
If you prune too harshly and remove too much of the plant it will react by sending up really tall shoots. To prevent that you only cut away 1/3 or 1/4 of the tree height each year until it reaches the height you want.
>>
>>1313879
>>1313892
Can confirm, works like a charm and saves some water as well.
>>
File: nervous.gif (526 KB, 364x489)
526 KB
526 KB GIF
>>1313894
>Watermelon are bad about being stunted if you let them stay in small pots too long.
This one is in a 7.5 liter pot. >>1313622
>>
>>1313894
>it will react by sending up really tall shoots
they are not even that tall, but they are everywhere on the plant, from the base down to the smallest branch
it's true that i probably cut it aggressively at the first time
>>
>>1313900
20lr would be much better, but it is probably too late for that. lol
>>
>>1313584
I also heard you don't want it to get to full yellow stage, 3 weeks after topping or flowering is for a smoother smoke. 6 weeks for maximum nicotine.
A leaf is ripe when you can push it down near the stalk and it'll snap like celery.
>>
>>1313911
I never expected a big harvest, I'd be happy with one single ripe fruit.
>>
>>1313837
OMG I KNOW YOU!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BROWSE ITALIAN BASKET WEAVING FORUMS HAHAHAHA!! YOU FUCKING LOSER!!!
>>
>>1313708
You've never read a proper joke, I assure you
>>
File: secret.gif (966 KB, 500x283)
966 KB
966 KB GIF
>>1313922
Please don't tell anyone. I'll give you a tomato!
>>
>>1313923
I mean, listen, you're trying to say that Watermelon is a root crop when it's obviously a grain, so we all know who the joke is
>>
File: 20180712_162235_HDR-01.jpg (1.74 MB, 4160x2340)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
I grow peppers in southern Florida. We have a pretty mean summer here, so these little beppers have been pretty stressed with all the heat, humidity, random thunderstorms followed by immediate ass pounding sunshine.
The result is a little pod of angry capsaicin blisters. This is the first wave so they're a little small but they're as hot as a habanero which is interesting for a red chili. Look how bright they are, despite the recent wave of powdery mildew that I caught early with some neem oil.
>>
might be the wrong place to ask but I think you guys will know.
when making cider, is it a good idea to boil the apple juice before fermenting? I have some doubts about the sanitary circumstances of my process and i'd rather kill all rogue bacteria before letting it rest in a warm place for a few weeks.
>>
File: Buckwheat Watermelon.jpg (469 KB, 1100x618)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
>>1313931
>going through the grocery store with two watermelon in the cart
>a woman nearby looks at my cart and asks, "making bread tonight?"
>"YUP!"
>>
>>1313940
Here you go: >>>/diy/1404821

Also, don't boil it. If you must, use potassium metabisulphite. Look up cider recipes that use it. The main problem is rouge yeasts that turn alcohol in to vinegar.
>>
>>1313939
I hope you trimmed the effected area too. I need to fire up my dehydrator. What do you do with your peppers?
>>
File: 2018-07-12_22-33-29.jpg (1.47 MB, 1200x1800)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>1313886
I'm now training mine into tree form instead of the natural scrub form I let it in the first two years. In my case it sends out shoots near the bottom quite often, similar in behaviour to hazelnut, but the top looks fine from what I can tell. This treatment will probably delay the first time I'll see flowers - none yet this season (germination was Jan. 2016 indoors)
And as I plan to remove even more side shoots later on so that the crown then eventually starts at maybe 1.20-1.50m height, I guess I'll have to wait even more
Here current state, looks a bit messy and you can't quite see it, but the branches now start at about 60cm height. I'll do more pruning in winter
>>1313894
>tfw too stupid/lazy/impatient to do any grafting
But congratulations on not getting leggy growth
>>1313940
I have vinegrower in the family so I have *some* idea of how things go down... usually a good idea to not store the stuff too long but get fermentation kicking as early as possible after pressing, under exclusion of oxygen source. Also adding some dedicated yeasts is a safer bet than just hoping the few random ones naturally sitting around do the job - which you might kill with boiling anyway. Fermentation should kick in faster than molds and shit forming, but at the same time not happen too fast, ideal temps are around 12-16°C. And you want to reach a good final alcohol content of ideally at the least ~8% bv to make it safe, so if your apples are rather unripe/sour, you might consider adding extra sugar to reach that
>>
>>1313942
Uh
>>
>>1313840
>most of the posters those days are pot posters? actually good, means this is reaching into cities i guess?
Urban gardening hit the Zeitgeist all over europe. There's a large back to the roots movement across the 20-35 year old.

There's also a huge run to Scherbergärten that looked like they would die out as the usual people still doing it where 65+.
>mostly land owned by the city/town where everyone can rent small plots starting at 4-5 beds and up to 300m^2+ for next to nothing.
I have about 95m^2 plot and pay 100 chf/year for it, including water and chaff service every fall and spring.
Sorry no of pics of it as that would be a 100% doxx
>>
>>1313865
Muchamiel and Sweet cluster (Maybe but a cluster tomato variety for sure)
>>
>>1313974
>Scherbergärten
I dunno, recently walked through a colony nearby, didn't see anyone below 60 there. Then again I'm from a rural/suburban area anyway, so only few here rent those as people mostly have their own, albeit usually very small, gardens - I luckily have about 1000 sqm available, most of which is ornamental part though, then again, the 300 sqm used for potatoes, tomatoes, watermelons and shit is enough for me
And wew your Pacht is expensive, even here in super-expensive Rhein-Main it's usually €0.50/m^2/year, shows that your currency really got a value boost over the last decades
>>
>>1313979
Here there're no "colonies" as you see them in germany. They require at least 80% food plants to be grown in those plots so there's a tool shed and a larger flower bed max in all of them and the rest is veggies, berries and a few trees.
I kinda jelly about the 1000 sqm you got, I hope I got about the same next spring as I can buy out the plot of land in front of my bee hives.

I have that plot since 6 years and took it over at the same conditions as the last owner (had it for 30 years at the same price). I know it's not cheap but I pay twice that for my parking spot per month so yeah Switzerland is fucking expensive.
>>
>>1313983
>They require at least 80% food plants to be grown in those plots
Should introduce something like that here, would definitely reduce the Gartenzwergnach18uhrtotenstillebitteundnurmitgasgrillen-Spießerfaktor which keeps off any potential "newcomers"
>>
>>1313983
Oh and yeah, parts of family has been living in my sleepy village since at least the 1400s, so property got passed down. No way I could afford buying that land, which thanks to internal migration has skyrocketed in price over the last 50 years, single sqm in my village now goes for up to €400
>>
>>1313979
>>1313983
Also fun fact: most of them where, some still are under military jurisdiction and a asset of the defense ministry as part of the "national food security effort".

>>1313986
Yeah that always put me off when I visit relatives in germany. It's like their weekend home instead of productive land. Lawn culture is cancer.
>>1313988
Lucky you buddy. Enjoy that land and turn more into productive plots.
Yeah the prices are crazy, I only can afford to buy that plot because the owner wants it to stay agriculture/useable land.
>>
File: 712 001.jpg (1.2 MB, 1632x1224)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>1313231
Neat. I think I planted some of those, but no fruit yet.

God I hate amaranth.
>>
>>1313998
why do you hate amaranth?
>>
>>1313998
>God I hate amaranth.

Eat it.
>>
File: 2018-06-29_18-57-35.jpg (1.27 MB, 1800x1200)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>1313990
Eh, admittedly I do have some lawn too, in total about 300sqm. While I agree that American suburbian lawn culture sucks, where every house has like a hectare plot of which 99% is lawn, on the other hand I wouldn't want to maintain a Staudendschungel on such a large area - wayyy too time-consuming, lawn *is* indeed lower maintenance, especially if you don't water it (mine looks like a steppe for several months a year thanks to our rather dry climate, posted a pic here: >>1310411), and the grass clippings when I do mow make for a nice mulch layer for my peppers and tomatoes, suppressing weed growth. But I do line it with flower/shrub beds and have some trees on it (progressively adding more of both), so it's not really a huge ass monoculture.
Here a pic from the front yard a few weeks ago through fisheye. Much stuff is recent plantations so it still looks a bit gappy, but will eventually grow more tightly together.
tl;dr my view on lawns is - die Dosis macht das Gift
>>
>>1314003
That looks really comfy, good job.

There was no offense with the lawn culture remark, I just get mad about what people do here. My neighbours have about 400sqm of completely unused lawn. Nobody plays there, nobody grills there, it's just there for absolutely no reason beside occupation therapy for the janitor that has to mow it once a week or they go mental. Even worse it would be prime gardening land and it's the same guys that bitch to me every day "why do you have so many fresh veggies and fruits, thats no fair. We have no place to grow them..."

And I agree with your tl;dr.
>>
File: 0822 009.jpg (3.72 MB, 2448x3264)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>1313999
I planted some a few years ago not exactly knowing what it was, and now it is just everywhere. I've probably pulled up a million of the damn things.

>>1314001
It's alright.
>>
File: chamaerops_humilis.jpg (2.11 MB, 3200x1200)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
>>1314006
Yeah, in such cases some re-dedication of garden space could really help - but boy is it hard to remove grass, I spent like an hour two days ago removing lawn roots on a single sqm of bone dry clay with spade and hoe, converting the space around my recently planted dwarf palm into a mulch bed - more flowers in there will follow, gonna dig in some spring flower bulbs in autumn. Whole "re-design" took like 3 hours.

I think another factor that make lawns quite attractive around here is the fact that they're evergreen (or in my case, outside of summer), so when everything looks depressingly dead, grey and brown from November to mid-March thanks to generally almost snowless, overcast winters and lack of naturally occurring conifers, it can add a bit of life in that looong boring period
>>
File: 20180712_190615.jpg (4.35 MB, 4160x3120)
4.35 MB
4.35 MB JPG
>>1313663
>>1313678
We got flowers, that pic was from a few days ago - all of these except the pepper were clones from plants in soil pots, I wanted to transition to all hydro to get rid of the remaining bugs inside. All the tomatoes in the main row have been in the buckets maybe 3 weeks, the other two sitting on the blocks a week. They're doing fine, especially compared to what I cloned them from. Before this they were in small individual cups, in the incubation bay.

As far as the height, this is the first time I've used an LED array so yeah I was concerned about being too close, even though everything says 24" or less. The center Juno plant is right at 18" from the lights right now, so should be fine until I need to raise the shelf the light hangs from a bit. If the others straggle I'll put something under their buckets to raise them up a bit.
>>
File: 712 004.jpg (1.15 MB, 1632x1224)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Lemon tree from seed. I forget how old....maybe 6 years, it flowered and fruited only after 4. Now I just have to put up a greenhouse before October or it's toast.

I think she's hungry.
>>
Anyone from Oregon here? I'll be moving to Oregon soon and looking to buy my own land there eventually, what is native to that state? Totally new and will be getting into this kinda thing so any spoonfeeding is appreciated
>>
File: Sept10_ 021.jpg (270 KB, 1632x1224)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>1313917
Hope you pick it at the right time!
>>
>>1314104
Censor that butt, anon. This is a blue board.
>>
My tomatoes in fabric pots are continuing to need daily watering. I figured I could skip yesterday because it rained but noooooooooo they started wilting anyway.

I might have to be away a few days and they definitely wouldn't survive that, so I was looking into drip irrigation on a timer. Ended up finding a decent deal on a basic drip kit. It skips the 1/2" distribution line and relies on running a garden hose to a 6 port manifold and only 1/4" tubing from there to the drippers.
>>
>>1313729
Stokes Seeds
West Coast Seeds
Baker Creek (for rare peppers)
>>
>>1314123
Rain never soaks into things as well as a good watering. Wrapped them in plastic like white garbage bags to stop so much evaporation. That way when you are gone they won't dry out so fast.
>>
>>1313425
Do you see any damage on the stems? If not, don't worry about them. I've only ever seen them feed on badly stressed plants, sowbugs are detritivores, they turn the garden litter into poops that feed the soil. sometimes I see them eating beans before they fully germinate, and they ate a ring around my elephant ear bulbs, but established plants generally aren't on their menu. They might eat the peppers if the plant was knocked over onto the ground, I've seen them eat green beans in that condition, but I also have butternut squashes sitting on mulch that's full of 'em, with not a mark on the squash.
>>
>>1313729
those mentioned + Annie's Heirlooms, Renee's Garden, and MIGardener ($0.99 seed packets!), and I occasionally get a few things from Burpee
>>
>>1313747
so just make a landrace variety, and some crops like nightshades and beans don't really outcross under normal circumstances
>>1313749
>>1313743
fungal hyphae transport water and exude acids that make minerals available to plant roots. The fungi that break down lignin release H2O as a byproduct, absolutely beneficial.
>if they can stay or not
You WILL fuck up your soil food web trying to get rid of them. Most of the stuff people do in their gardens, other than adding seeds and organic matter, does more harm than good.
>>
Anyone here ever grow frogskin melons?
>>
>>1314176
>MIGardener
I want to like him but I just cant.
>>
>>1314201
Why not?
>>
I had recently planted tomato seeds from a plant that managed to live 2 growing seasons. Something I've never heard of before. Granted the weather is fair here, so I wanna see how long I can make it last. Bonus points for heirloom chocolate tomatoes.
>>
File: SmartPot-24-XL.jpg (17 KB, 750x750)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
This is a pretty neat fabric pot self watering system, but good god is it expensive. Each pot gets its own individual float valve which is overkill for hobbyists.

https://autopot-usa.com/product-category/smartpot-systems-and-kits/
>>
>>1314201
I disagree with his approach on many things, but that's not going to stop me buying seeds from him.
>>
>>1314215
>fabric pot
>self watering system
sounds like a real waste of potable water evaporating away
>>
>>1314215
Jesus fuck, its so outrageous I had to blur the price.
>>
>>1314234
Well thanks for giving your opinion and not the facts you fake news fuckwad
>>
>>1314235
you're welcum sweetie.
>>
>>1314123
Move them into the shade and or use plastic saucers under the pot
>>
>>1314003
Yuros are always quite faggy but they have comfy gardens
>>
>>1314216
Well, hopefully he'll start selling those 87 year old heirloom tomato seeds soon.
>>
File: tom.jpg (843 KB, 2069x2221)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
>>1313434
>>1313569
>>1313656
Hopefully this is a better picture.
Is the rock wool supposed to be always wet? Maybe I should drop the water level?
>>
>>1314239
>use plastic saucers under the pot
That occurred to me last month and I should have done it then because I'm not sure I could lift them now.
>>
>>1314247
The color of that stem
>>
File: DSC_0063.jpg (1.04 MB, 2592x1944)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
How do I save her? She toppled under her own weight -- wet ground and there's probably an an anthill around the roots because the fuckers are all over it. It's not broken thankfully.
>>
File: DSC_0062.jpg (996 KB, 2592x1944)
996 KB
996 KB JPG
>>1314310
roots
>>
>>1314201
>>1314206
>>1314216
There's this review that I read that's scared me away
>>
>>1314324
Whoa it was that bad?
>>
>>1314327
Yeah, I could post it in a few parts on here if need be.
>>
>>1314310
>>1314311
my plan is to prop it up, poison the ants and tamper the ground, but I'm really kind of clueless, so some informed advice would be appreciated here
>>
>>1314329
I'm interested, I only ever bought from him once but I didn't have any issues with it.
>>
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 250x202)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1314208
The ones in the greenhouse where I worked lasted longer than 3-4 years, but we removed them around that time. They were indeterminate and grown hydroponically. They'd reach 75-100 feet easily.

>>1314215
>>1314234
That is something you can DIY for cheaper I'm quite sure...like $100-$200 depending on size. The piping would be the most expensive, but PEX and cheap connectors are all cheap anyway. Especially, if you can get 5 gallon buckets for free from local places like contractors as construction sights that spackle drywall with "mud" or restaurants. Second hand 55-gallon plastic water drums are usually floating around for cheap.

>>1314247
Yeah, that doesn't look good at all. It looks like some scaring caused by rot. It also appears to require more light. Though, the stem color itself may have started to fade due to that infection. It may recover. Check the roots to see if they are browning and/or stinking. If so, you should probably pull it and start a new one. Or, you can try making a cutting from the entire upper portion that isn't affected. I've had luck with that before. It beats starting from seed. Good luck and report back.

>>1314310
Ants are attracted to the fruit probably. Just prop it back up as best you can. Harvest when they are ready then start pruning it back about 1/4 to 1/3 of its growth. Next season you need to thin out the fruit before it gets to this point. However, better pruning practices will help strengthen the limbs. As far as the roots go, you'll need to stake it to help prevent that from happening again. Use rubber where the ties hold onto the tree and change their positions 2 times a year so they don't cause problems with growth.

>>1314334
No need to poison the ants. Just make their paths up to the plant impossible for them to climb. Wrap a small section of the trunk in some plastic and coat that plastic with Vaseline/petroleum jelly. Don't get it on the tree. Smear it on any supports touching the ground that touch the tree.
>>
>tfw having garden weeding party today starting at 8:30am and I'm behind schedule chugging coffee and perusing /hgm/

>>1314311
Oh and before you start pushing on the tree to straighten it properly. Overwater the lawn right were the tree is for a couple hours. This will loosen the soil and allow you to more easily move it. Just make sure it is supported while doing this so it doesn't fall further.
>>
>>1314338
>I need to share my negative experience here, unfortunately. I tried to resolve the matter but received no luck. My negative review, is directly related to the orange roussollini tomato, and the handling of the matter by Luke and the company. I purchased these seeds on 2 separate occasions this fall. I won't link his video regarding the tomato here, I will let others find it. There were 3 main aspects of the video. It was the sweetest tomato ever, it was bushy, and very disease resistant. Mine were none of these. Mine were not sweet at all, and are overcome with blight. I have pictures, and am willing to share with admins on this site and others upon request. I also have tomatoes saved. If any admin or member would like to try these tomatoes to form their own opinion, I will gladly send you one to try. To dive further into the matter, I need to add some history on the situation:

Sometime a month ago, a member of his forum posted picture of an obvious cross breed of his orange roussollini tomato. Luke made it out to be a positive, and told the person he would buy seeds from him. Fast forward a couple weeks, despite having poor quality plants (while my Rutgers, Cherokee Purple, and Black Truffle tomatoes looked amazing), I was excited to try my first roussollini. It was not sweet at all and had no flavor. I asked on the forum if anyone else had tried theirs yet. I figured since it was labeled as the sweetest, best tomato ever, there would be rave reviews all over, however none were to be found. I wondered if possibly I had a cross breed as well. Nobody chimed in, except a second person that was greatly disappointed. Luke's response to him was maybe he overwatered, as that can influence flavor. I started scratching my head at this point, so I decided it was appropriate to leave a negative feedback on the store webpage to let others know.
>>
>>1314365
>tfw having garden weeding party
Tricking people into free labor by telling them it's a party?
>>
>>1314371
This past week, I discovered my review was removed from his store site. I asked on his facebook page for open discussion why it was removed. I could only wonder why it was removed, and if there was a reason to hide it. The prized seed of the website was not what it was made out to be, so I wanted to know why, and what was being hidden. I was met with a demeaning reply from an admin on his site, my post was removed, and I was banned from the site.

I then contacted Luke directly and asked what the deal was. I copied directly his reply. I'd like to make note of the extremely demeaning and egotistical tone to his reply. The 3 times I contacted him were the question/comments I mentioned above on his open discussion page. The email was asking what was up, why I was removed, and if he was hiding something. I don't know how to garden? He deleted my review, because taste is subjective and it was a rant? If that's the case, how can any review be given regarding any flavor? Why is a 5 star review saying "I can't wait to try it" a valid review? Worst of all, he demanded I apologize to him. What kind of company demands an apology from an unsatisfied customer? I'd like to add, I had given 5 star reviews to other products of his. This wasn't my first review of a product of the site. I have been completely blocked by him now, so I have no other choice but to share my experience. I feel the way this situation was handled, needs to be known by others. Most important, please note the tone in his reply. This is the owner of the company, Luke, copy and pasted directly from his email to me:
>>
>>1314374
I will not be made out to be something that I am not. I have never sold something that I didn't personally know for a fact that people would like and enjoy, and I have never lied about it. The fact that you posted 3 times, and then took the time to message me shows more about your lack of character than mine. I have been genuine, and heard nothing but amazing things from HUNDREDS of people. Your review was removed because it was a rant, not a review. Flavor is extremely subjective, and not grounds for a bad review as even your region/climate may not be good for growing tomatoes. Your lack of gardening knowledge clearly shows when you say stuff like that. I am not only a master gardener, but have been doing this for over 15 years. I know what I am talking about, and those who trust me and accept that gardening is not a guarantee know that. Do not message me again unless it is to apologize for trying to make me seem like something I am not. I will not be slandered, and I will not allow someone to come onto my own pages and slander me, especially when the grounds on which the claims are being made are completely lacking in regularity and consistency.
>>
>>1314375
(The review I found, in parts. Note, the copypasta like email at the end.)
>>
>>1314363
>>1314365
thanks for the help with my apple tree anon, will do it
>>
File: spikyboy.jpg (1.8 MB, 4153x2097)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>1314247
>>1314363
The roots look white and the rest of the plant looks pretty ok, so ill just leave it for now. Cutting the top to make a new plant sounds like a great plan B.

Have this picture of a thing caught skulking around my tomatos.
>>
>>1314324
I don't doubt his business practices and growing ability. Hey every business has shit from time to time. I just feel like hes fake, like he is hiding something. Maybe he buries bodies in his gardens or something. He just leaves me with a weird feeling.
>>
>>1314410
>Maybe he buries bodies in his gardens or something.
Gotta fertilize that soil.
>>
>>1314410
As you can see by the review I reposted, you aren't wrong about him hiding stuff.
>>
>>1314414
not sure if it was here or somewhere else that I read. Someone would go fishing and catch catfish, would then bury them several feet from his plants and let them fertilize throughout the season...
>>
>>1314414
do his seeds come from his home garden?
looking at his website nothing really pops out to me regarding info into the "garden"
>>
>>1314415
Could have been from anywhere. One of my history classes as a little kid mentioned the injuns teaching settlers to bury dead fish near their crops along the whole squash/corn/beans thing.
>>
Michigander here
Finally going to man up and grow stuff in a pot. What should I grow?
>>
Anyone know much about lawn alternatives?
I’m in 9b and only have st augustine and white clover right now. The soil is clay that’s dry and cracked half the year and quite soggy the rest. I really like the idea of Mentha requienii, but I’m not sure if it can handle having wet feet for months at a time. Also considering some sort of thyme. Watering during drought isn’t an issue, but there’s nothing more I can do to help the drainage.
>>
What peppers are you growing this year, /hgm/?

>Thai Dragon
>Jalapeno
>Chinese 5-Colour Pepper
>Portugal Hot
>Chiltepin
>Brazilian Starfish
>unknown Fatalii-like pepper (top middle in the pic; probably Fatalii)
>unknown C. annuum (bottom middle in the pic)
>unknown Bishop's Crown-type of pepper (looked exactly like one but there was zero heat)
>unknown Habanero (probably just a red Hab)

I was supposed to give about half the plants to a couple, but they're on vacation for almost 6 months, so now I'm stuck with over 25 plants with not enough large pots for them.
>>
>>1314468
>they're on vacation for almost 6 months
It must be nice to be rich.

I got 4 Dorset Naga seedlings going.
I will grow them indoors over the winter.
>>
>>1314480
>It must be nice to be rich.
They're retired, but they do have some money saved up.

>Dorset Naga
I've been thinking about growing a superhot, but I'd probably end up dying after the first harvest.
>>
File: IMG_20180713_102946.jpg (1.85 MB, 3678x3006)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
What's its issue? Leaves are curling down and sometimes flipping. Not really setting fruit. Does it need ferts? Help
>>
>>1314375
That is entirely deflection and redirection. There's no dialog there. It does not matter what was said to him, that is the wrong response.

>>1314400
Toads are the only thing in my garden and they are okay to pick up. lol I picked up 2 of them, each 1 inch in size and put them in the raised beds.

>>1314415
Someone in these threads did something similar. There's was a mound more like 3-sisters method I think, I recall it should have been buried to the side as a side dressing. That would prevent pathogen exchange and root burn.

>>1314456
Microclover? Creeping thyme and creeping sedum do well around one of my paths. I'm not sure about water issues though.

>>1314468
Gypsy bell
Hungarian wax
Jalapeno
Cayenne
Pequin

>vacation for almost 6 months

Cripes. That's like a second home.

>>1314503
Curly could be temperature swings from getting cold when those leaves were growing. If you've not fertilized it yet, adding calcium, phosphorus, and potassium will help it greatly. They are old enough to not need nitrogen as much.

>>1314372
It is working out really well and I get to watch sunlit mounds of sweaty cleavage all day long. Which I really need to get back to doing...
>>
>>1314515
Just reseeded our lawn and flower beds with white clover. Bout 50% is now clover and love it.
>>
>>1314375
What da faq, is this all true? If so, Luke is a real piece of work. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
A lot of people on homegrownmen are growing beppers. Tell me, what are you going to do with all that spice?
>>
>>1314517
>"I am not only a master douche"
40 hours to become a master gardener. SOOOO HARD
>>
>>1314363
That's amazing, wish I could have a green house, but alas no space or money for it.
>>
>>1314521
It's not hard, but requires a lot of hard work. It's really how your methods take you along this garden path.
>>
>>1314526
not really hard word. I mean I guess its hard if you don't enjoy it. Its like anything else, you do it enough and it comes second nature. Not sure why this douch needed to add in that he is a master gardener in his reply though.
>>
>>1314529
It can be hard work if you're in the sun all day, skin feels crispy after being out there for an hour. Also depends on if you gotta work your soil well, and whether it's compacted, and many other things you gotta do to set up.
However after you have it all set up, it's just a matter of pruning and watering. Then it's easy as shit.
>>
>>1314535
I love coming in from being out all day soaked from sweat, dirt everywhere and muscles sore. Taking a good hour or so to come back down to temperature. I love it lol. I hate sitting around and waiting. Like now, we use plasticulture so no weeding, no manual watering. Sitting around waiting for everything to ripen up.
>>
File: usamcdole911.jpg (25 KB, 500x375)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1314519
I dehydrate most of it for soups and stews. The hotter stuff gets dehydrated and turned into fine spice for a pepper shaker. The bulk of the spice gets vacuum sealed in jars and stored in the freezer. A very small amount of peppers are frozen since the freeze/thaw cycle destroys long term foods with lots of water content in them. Fresh peppers are used for just about everything.

>>1314521
>>1314526
>>1314529
>>1314535
I've been gardening for over 30 years and wouldn't call myself a "master gardener" unless I earned an actual college degree in it. Does he have such a degree? If so then he can say that with impunity. Seems like there are no degrees for that specifically and only some certificate programs for students.

Gardening isn't hard at all, if you have proper knowledge, tools, and methods. As with all work in life, if it is, "hard," you are probably doing something wrong. Because there's always a tool and/or method to make it easier.

>sun all day

I'm out in the sun all day most of the time too. I wear a giant sombrero like this one (actually bought off ebay from that same person.) They are amazing. I painted the top of mine white to further cool off my head. I always work facing the sun so that as I bend down more of the hat's shadow covers my body. Because it is so huge, I don't get a redneck.
>>
>>1314536
But isn't it amazing to see everything just grow up? A month or 2 ago my 2 of my tomato plants I got from a guy, were just dumped in the planter box I purchased from him. ( they looked like shit) Now they just all over the place with so many flowers and healthy as shit. Healthier than most of the big beef tomatoes I grew from seed. Granted they've gotten quite a bit more sunshine and nutrients.
>>
File: midget_scrotal_sack.png (451 KB, 607x435)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
>>1314540
exactly!, its county classes and some volunteering.
>anyone grow midget scrotal sacks?
>>
>>1314540
You got a link to the Sombrero? I'm gonna need a hat.
>>
>>1314456
A company here makes flowering lawn mix suitable for rich and poor ground that you could easily replicate and from my experience is pretty easy to take care off.
>https://shop.sativa-organicseeds.com/flowers/flowery-lawns-and-meadows/flowering-lawn.html

Contents:
>Festuca pratensis, Festuca rubra rubar, Lolium perenne, Poa pratensis, Achillea millefolium, Ajuga reptans, Anthyllis carpatica, Bellis perennis, Campanula rotundifolia, Centaurea jacea, Daucus carota, Galium mollugo, Galium verum, Glechoma hederacea, Helianthemum nummularium, Hieracium pilosella, Hippocrepis comosa, Hypochaeris radicata, Leucanthemum vulgare, Lotus corniculatus, Origanum vulgare, Plantago lanceolata, Plantago media, Primula veris, Prunella vulgaris, Salvia pratensis, Sanguisorba minor, Thymus pulegioides
>>
>>1314541
I am still amazed year after year that these huge plants we grow come from these tiny seeds we plant months earlier. I wish we could get more sun here without cutting trees down. We get just about 6 hrs a day in the summer.
I'm actually working on my moms lime plant. I'll post a pic and a story about it later.
>>
>>1314540
It's also not necessarily hard, but when I see something wrong I sometimes worry a little too much about it. Thus try to fix it asap. Gotta develop my own tried and true methods.
>>
Yeah real shame that trees get in the way, I would love to grow more flowers for a butterfly garden. I can probably find space somewhere.
>>
what would be great this year is some fucking rain. Its been dry as my powdered taint. Watered this morning and shit just floods off into the grass. Soaking shit hard today so when the rain does come my shit doesn't swim away.
>>
>>1314519
Paprika, smoked chilis, I usually just preserve them to put in all my cooking.
>>
ITT: Homegrownmen run a communal farm
>>
File: cherry peppers 12-4.jpg (138 KB, 1600x1200)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1314519
Spicy peppers are just a dick measuring contest and have rather limited uses. Sweet peppers are where it's at for the professional gourmand.
>>
File: lime.jpg (1.93 MB, 986x1800)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
So my mother received a lime tree as a present a few years ago from my brother. She has literally done nothing with it. My brother said she needed to put it in a larger pot; so she took the pot it was in and put it inside a larger pot. It needed more help than my brother could give it so I took the plant home about two weeks ago. Potted it up and refilled it with our compost. Since then it has started to put out some new chutes and looks healthier than previous.
>>
>>1314576
What kind of sweet beppers?
>>
>>1314515
>and I get to watch sunlit mounds of sweaty cleavage all day long
W…where can I apply?
>>
File: corn_6.jpg (489 KB, 513x676)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
>>1314519
I think for a lot of people its just a fun thing to do. We grow mild hot peppers to make sauce and to put into a shaker.
But.... a few years ago we grow giant corn. Now here in North East PA its far from being even close to making sense. It needs 9 months to mature and grows 10-20 feet tall. We topped out at 15 feet before they died but hell it was fun. Everyone that came up the driveway asked what the hell they were. Good times though, think we might try to grow them again next year.
>pic not me but related
>>
>>1314576
was thinking, at what point will we have self igniting hot peppers?
>>
>>1314576
You can dry them, grind them and add salt. Great if you like spicy dishes, and it'll last you forever, since you only need a little.
>>
>>1314449
Pls respond
>>
>>1314609
My vote goes to poison ivy.
>>
>>1314610
stop..
>>
>>1314449
You got three options. Either something easy or something you consume or both.
>>
>>1314611
I wonder if someone ever did that. Potted poison ivy.
>>
>>1314612
easy..I just want a practice plant rn until I move out.
>>
>>1314449
We're late in the season, so some kind of fall bush bean will work from seeds in a place that is protected from the heat yet has light till they have their 3rd pair of real leafs.
For insta gratification, go to the next nursery and buy a ready to plant tomato cutting.
>5 gallon bucket
>ok tier potting mix
>all purpose fertilizer
>a large stick to stake them
>put in a sunny place and you're good to fo
>>
File: fuck_michigan_.png (516 KB, 580x436)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
Does anyone know John?
He says he is drug free but I can't see that being possible.
>>
>>1314614
Radishes and green beans are among the easiest. Lettuces are also very easy provided you get the right variety for your clime and time of year. The titular board meme, that's it bell peppers, is no surprisingly the most popular option here.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (8 KB, 300x168)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1314579
>My brother said she needed to put it in a larger pot; so she took the pot it was in and put it inside a larger pot.

My sides

Good job on the tree btw
>>
>>1314618
I fucking swear I looked at it and said to myself, what.......the......fuck.
>>
>>1314613
I had potted stinging nettle
>>1314614
beans, you probably already have some in your cupboard. pot in a sunny window - plant dry beans - water - wait. keep the soil moist and they'll come up in a few days
>>
>>1314616
He only smokes 100% organic, grown with premium work castings.
>>
>>1314620
But stinging nettle is pretty rad.
>>
>>1314619
I was really, really hoping you were joking. How'd she explain it?
>>
>>1314624
she didn't. She just said "he said to put it in a bigger pot, so I did."
>>
>>1314626
Jesus christ.
>>
>>1314628
lol I know. Honestly still laughing about it today but I took it two weeks ago.
>>
>>1314623
heck yeah it is, I seriously doubt poison ivy is anywhere near as tasty as stinging nettle
>>
File: IMG_20180713_174822.jpg (3.38 MB, 4608x3456)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
Can someone help me identify this plant I got at the grocery store?
>>
>>1314678
try the picturethis app
>>
>>1314680
This is great! Thanks
>>
>>1314543
Go to ebay and search that filename, it is the username of the guy who sells them. He has different ones in at different times it seems.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 259x194)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1314550
You should use methods like this or google "Ollas Irrigation".
>>
>>1314605
Meetup with local gardeners, make connections.

>>1314576
Hot peppers give diminishing returns when you eat a lot of them. So, you either stop eating them for a while to lose the resistance or you eat peppers with ever increasing spiciness to compensate. I eat Trinidad Moruga scorpion pepper candy all the time now.
>>
>>1314613
I did a poison ivy bonsai one time in the 80s.

>>1314449
What do you like to eat? You like salsa? Grow all the ingredients.
>>
>>1314626
I can't even...
>>
>>1314726

Thanks
>>
>>1314729
During really hot weeks 95+ I have a few 5 gallon buckets with holes in the side to feed the big drinkers.
>>
File: IMG_20180713_125849.jpg (2.63 MB, 3264x2448)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
Thing keeps growing
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65 KB, 526x350)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
NEW THREAD: >>1314744
>>
File: is_his_wife_legal.png (659 KB, 814x436)
659 KB
659 KB PNG
>>
File: IMG_20180713_185407.jpg (2.28 MB, 3264x2448)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>
>>1314519
Only growing what will actually be eaten...bell peppers and jalapenos
>>
>>1313729
Tradewind Fruit, Puckerbutt, and Baker Creek
>>
>>1314540
"master gardener" is a volunteer thing afaik, at least in my state, you're not really supposed to call yourself a "master gardener" except when you're volunteering with your county extension office's "master gardener" program.
>>
>>1314519
I'm growing just one hot pepper plant per season usually, that's enough for a non capsaicin junkie like me, just to spice things up a little here and there (dried and powdered), the rest are bell peppers. Can be used fresh for salads or filled with meat and cooked etc, but I also dry/powder those to enrich sauces, or coat chicken in etc

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.