[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hgm384.png (908 KB, 667x533)
908 KB
908 KB PNG
Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Previous: >>2672931
>>
>>2687519
Just found out that sunflowers just blossom and then die :( . Well that was fun anyway and I'll grow more. Also any ways to make my manlet lavender grow? it stays small and the pot has a decent size, idk why it jus doesnt grow, is the one right next to the sunflower
>>
>>2687596
You are supposed to gather the seeds from the sunflower for next season (or for eating).
>>
>>2687596
Depending on what variety the lavender is, that might just be how big it gets before it goes into flower. Dwarf lavenders are popular these days if you got it in a big box.
>>
My pumpkins are growing so rapidly it's insane
I don't like Pumpkin, as a kid I hated it and refused to eat it, but it's so fucking rewarding seeing all the vines spreading out
It's just such a beautiful plant
I'm growing my pumpkins in a very raised garden bed and I have vines that are trying to grow horizontally out of the beds but there's a metre drop, should I redirect them or let them fall?
>>
Anyone growing peppers indoors?
I'm looking for a cultivar suitable for indoor growing of smaller size, about ~30 cm or 1 foot.
>>
>>2687779
Forgot to add, sweet to mild spicy, I'm not looking for something really spicy.
>>
I’m from diy, is hydroponics allowed? If so, does anyone have a resource or general guideline for the optimal/correct nutrient amounts? I’m trying to grow woodland strawberries now but also looking for other species. Every time I get something new I spend loads of time searching but never found a single resource that said “for this plant use NPK x y z ppm and some Ca and Mg”.

>>2687779
Not sure what mild spicy is for you but I grew Bolivian rainbow very successfully last year, and now explosive ember mildly successful. Both tend to stay around or below 30cm.
>>
>>2687779
How early do y'all start pepper seeds? They germinate pretty quick, ~7 days, under perfect conditions.
>>
>>2687961
>is hydroponics allowed?
Sure.
Never tried it myself so I won't be able to help you tho.

>Bolivian rainbow
10,000 to 30,000 Scovilles, a bit too much, I had 5000 peppers and they were pretty much as spicy as I can tolerate when adding to food but they look really nice so I might get them anyways.
Do they dry well?
I could turn them into spice if they do.

>>2687970
Mid to late February usually, any earlier and they'll get too big too manage for me by the time of last frost (mid May).
>>
File: sauna_apu.jpg (136 KB, 1194x900)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>all the Youtube garden channels telling people to start seeds in early January
>historic cold front moving in from Canada
>>
>>2688137
> Do they dry well? I could turn them into spice if they do.
It’s said they do somewhere online but I haven’t tried. I have a friend who makes sambal sauce as a hobby so I deliver him peppers and get sauce back. You can freeze pretty much any pepper. Explosive embers dry poorly in my experience
>>
File: IMG_20240112_094606.jpg (205 KB, 1600x1200)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
My seed starting area is almost setup for the year. I need to replace a lot of bulbs
>>
Ok guy what minimal effort crops should i plant next summer? Something that does not give a fuck about weeds because i have no time to get them out and my beds are infested with them.
>>
>>2688279
Which zone are you in?
Jerusalem artichoke grows and spreads like a weed, can be stored in soil for whole winter but good luck getting it out once it's in tho.
>>
>>2688280
Can confirm. Has a really wide spread radius. Surprised the hell out of me when I was cleaning my beds last year. Looks like shit once it starts dying due to powdery mildew.
That's probably the main downside of it. It's horrifically susceptible to powdery mildew.
>>
File: map.jpg (94 KB, 874x583)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>2688280
5 if this map is right
>>
File: bunching onions.jpg (216 KB, 600x1333)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
tokyo long white approx nine months old
>>
>>2688279
>>2688283
Ultimately it is going to depend a lot on your specific climate (total rainfall, sunshine hours, peak heat) and soil.
Where I live I get 500~600 mm of rainfall a year and soil is mostly clay with relatively cool summers and here garlic, onion, radish and already mentioned sunchoke are plant and forget type of vegie.
Green beans and sunflowers are also low effort and peppers as long as you buy from a nursery after last frost, not sprout them from seed yourself, that's a lot of work.
All those should grow fine in zone 5 as long as you get cultivars suited for your place.
>>
Is it a good idea to I prune off the entire circled part to get a lower, bushier plant?
>>
What's the safest and most efficient way to heat my portable 6x8' plastic greenhouse to keep my tropical plants from dying? Just need to keep it above freezing (though 40F+ would be better), and it's supposed to get down to 20F next week (only overnight though, 40s-50s during the day).
>>
>>2688519
Yep, why not? Couldn't hurt with clear scissors.
>>
>>2688282
Trim those green parts, let the roots mature. Not like it keeps the worms off them but hey just cut those parts out. It might be one of the healthiest root crops out there behind sweet potato.
>>
>>2688542
Cover the greenhouse with a blanket when it's not light out. And get a simple propane heater. Also the more thermal mass you can get in there the better
>>
>>2687970
Between 8 and 10 weeks before you want to plant them.
>>2688542
I don't think those are designed to be heated, the heat loss will be substantial. If you can't bring the plants inside, I would cover them and burn something in a bucket on the ground to fill the greenhouse with smoke. But I never heated a greenhouse, so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
File: 2024.jpg (1.89 MB, 2992x4000)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
Any idea what's wrong with my pineapple? I left it in the cold for a few days but I think it may be outgrowing its pot.
>>
>>2688519
make a pic with normal light.

the lower leaves looks yellowish. if so, i would remove then and the affected stems and bind the top down instead of pruning.
>>
>>2688519
Damn, your plant is a twitch streamer? Jealous, mine just gives me flowers.
>>
Are lingonberries any fun to grow?
>>
>>2688148
Ya gotta learn to start seeds bud, you have like 110 days of good summer if that.
>>
>>2687519
still asking for a good book/blogpost about worms
>>
>>2689558
Try Mike McGrath
>>
Anyone have any advice on maximizing yield for things like potatoes or ginger in a small area? I don't have a ton of yard space and I found out ginger likes to grow sideways and both them and potatoes shoot up a bunch of stems and leaves to get the needed sun, so I'm not sure if or how I could maybe stack them vertically.
>>
>>2688977
If it got to freezing it may be in the process of dying. That bucket should be plenty big, but you need more soil.
>>
File: IMG_20240117_131824629.jpg (4.36 MB, 3072x4096)
4.36 MB
4.36 MB JPG
Camping light arrived, will try it out tonight to check if I can work at night while using it, package says it lasts for 5 hours.
>>
File: IMG_20240117_131739912.jpg (2.19 MB, 3072x4096)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
>>2690117
Seems ok, will do a test run tonight while I spray herbicide around.
>>
>>2689556
You're right. I need to stop using the weather as an excuse to be lazy.
>>
I am surprised there is so little information about onion varieties.
Like, potato cultivars have a wikipedia article dedicated, yeah it's not complete but it's a start. With onions you have nothing of the sort, you have to go to the site of big produces like Takii.
>>
>>2690159
This guy does a lot of trials of "boring" vegetables
https://youtu.be/8EGGFiQixDM
>>
Trying to find seeds for weird plants and then running headlong into the fraudulent seed market is a grating experience. I'm sort of at this point where I'm debating springing for the live plant, even though the specific plant is relatively expensive to buy live.
>>
>>2690316
I have to check every seller inventory for photoshopped images. Whether they be selling plants that don't exist or are simply fucking with the saturation of photos to make what they claim to be selling look nicer, it's way too damn common.
>>
>>2690123
Same
>>
>>2690162
Thanks, I'll look through it
>>
>>2690159
I grow walking onions. If you're looking for an onion cultivar that takes care of itself, they're great. They form bulbs underground that carry a really strong flavor, and then they shoot up scallions, and they flower, which involves both setting seed and forming bulblets that topple to the side and set root around the mother plant that can similarly be used for cooking if desired. I've had poor luck getting onions to grow without rotting, and I stumbled on these and they're just absolutely prolific. Not the best if you're looking for large onions for texture, though. Can toss them in a corner and forget them and they're fine so long as nothing crowds them. I'd put them right there with sunchokes in terms of being just a great plant.
>>
>>2690501
Huh, for me it's opposite, I can grow normal onions just fine but when I tried to grow walking onions they all decided to rot in the ground for some reason (it wasn't particularly wet)
Maybe I just got a shitty batch of those?
I could try again this year.
>>
>>2690506
I do have them planted in raised beds, so that probably affects things via improving drainage.
>>
File: 1697648849392876.jpg (761 KB, 2560x2560)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
How can you cool a small greenhouse like this for cheap? An air conditioner seems like overkill. Could a swamp cooler be any better? Never used them. Or maybe instead go for hydroponics and use a water chiller? I think that's expensive too.

I just want to grow stuff in the hot weather. I live in costa rica. I don't care that much about the cost of purchase what worries me is the monthly electricity bill.
>>
>>2691404
You don't need a greenhouse. It's hot enough already.
>>
>>2691432
I need a greenhouse to trap the cold and raise cold weather vegetables. Why? Because it's fun
>>
>>2691445
You do not want a greenhouse. The glass traps heat. You need a shed with indoor LED grow lights.
>>
>>2691453
Ohhh I understand. I didn't know about grow lights...Well that still leaves the question about how I am going to cool the air inside it.
I was looking at these too https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-Desktop-Portable-Evaporative/dp/B0C27XB8VX/ but it's so cheap it almost feels like a scam
>>
>>2691458
>Well that still leaves the question about how I am going to cool the air inside it.
That will be quite the task. A swamp cooler will only work in a dry climate. A real AC will be incredibly energy intensive. A better solution might be to not use a container at all, and just use shade cloth?

Are you in the mountains or not? How cold does it get in the winter?
>>
>it's a "all the nurseries lie about the hardiness of a plant because someone said something and they all ran with it, costing a lot of people a lot of time and money" episode
>>
>>2691458
Just don't get that violet garbage, you'll regret it every time you look at your plants.
>>
>>2691687
Not in the mountains. We only have rainy and dry season and january is one of coolest months of the year, right now it's around 26-27 during the day and 18-22 at night.
Maybe I could try a mix of a dehumidifier and a swamp cooler? Sounds like it might not work though. I think I'll have to spend way more time thinking this stuff through properly.

Also you know something I don't understand is how something like an inverter fridge uses so little power (at least mine does) to cool down stuff to around 4 degrees + a freezer running 24/7 yet it's so expensive do DIY something much less powerful.
>>
>>2688977
youve got the exact same wall and setup as my dad did
>>
>>2687779
I've been growing sugar rush peaches, doing decently indoors.
>>
>>2691724
I think you should try growing cold-weather plants outside first. Choose a shady spot, remove the grass, mix in a bunch of sand and maybe organic matter (potting soil), and try to grow carrots. Your temps should not be too excessive.

When learning how to garden, you always, always start cheap. If you see a spark of success, maybe then you can start spending. Otherwise, it's just money spent without the expertise to use it correctly.
>>
>>2691724
>Also you know something I don't understand is how something like an inverter fridge uses so little power (at least mine does) to cool down stuff to around 4 degrees + a freezer running 24/7 yet it's so expensive do DIY something much less powerful.
I also do not understand how that works. I suspect it has to do with the fridge's small size. It's small, right? No, I genuinely don't understand how those things get so cold.
>>
>>2691706
What do you mean? The ones with many red and blue LED lights work perfectly adequately. Just don't stare into them....
>>
>>2691755
>bro, just don't look at them
Yeah, exactly, have you ever tried to identify and get rid of aphids when everything is lit by violet light that makes it all look the same?
Buy normal white light and you'll clearly see all the pests and signs of illness, not stand wondering whether your eyes are playing tricks on you because you can't see color for shit.
>>
>>2691756
Move the plant out of the grow light into the regular light. And maybe keep a cleaner grow environment?
>>
>>2691756
Also look for moving things to spray instead of immobile plants.
>>
File: 1631649766711.jpg (1.23 MB, 1920x1080)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>2687714
>I don't like Pumpkin, as a kid I hated it and refused to eat it, but it's so fucking rewarding seeing all the vines spreading out
>It's just such a beautiful plant
Holy absolute based pumpkin chad. Man, I haven't been in this thread in forever since I moved out and became a rentcuck with no land or space to grow, but man, I miss the fuck out of it. Pumpkins are absolutely the GOAT to grow. Are you growing mini pumpkins or normal sized ones?

>I'm growing my pumpkins in a very raised garden bed and I have vines that are trying to grow horizontally out of the beds but there's a metre drop, should I redirect them or let them fall?
As long as there is something for the vine tendrils to wrap around to support themselves, they should be fine. You can put stakes or a net/chicken wire on the side where it wants to drop. Don't worry, as long as the pumpkins aren't HUEG, the vines will toughen up to support the weight with the help of the tendrils gripping.
>>
how do I stop clovers from growing in my garden beds? I'm going to turn the soil in the spring so the clovers will be at the bottom but any time I covered them they just grew through the cover.
>>
>>2692405
Clovers are a good cover crop. What issue are you having with them?
>>
>>2692415
do they not leech nutrients and water?
>>
>>2692425
Yeah bro, the healthiest soil you'll ever find is barren soil where nothing grows to leech water and nutrients.
Make sure to spray your beds with roundup, this will ensure nothing will leech nutrients there ever again.
>>
>>2687714
If you have success with pumpkins but dislike eating them consider growing calabash, luffa and spaghetti squash.
Calabash creates sturdy versatile containers; luffa gives natural sponge; spaghetti squash doesn't taste like pumpkin and can be served as vegetable or pasta, it's very practical also since you just boil the whole thing, cut it open and eat the interior.
>>
File: Lagenaria longissima.jpg (140 KB, 500x500)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>2692430
Lagenaria longissima is another interesting one.
>>
>>2692428
stuff does grow in my garden. And I don't want roundup. I just don't' want clovers taking over and taking water and nutrients I'd rather go to the plants I do actually want. Are you okay, dude?
>>
>>2692441
>I just don't' want clovers taking over and taking water and nutrients I'd rather go to the plants I do actually want.
Not him, but fren, Clovers are one of the best nitrogen fixing cover crops you can have. They don't rob nutrients, they exist symbiotically with the other plants, taking in nitrogen from the air and "fixing" it into the soil making it more available for the plants around it. Don't worry about the clovers taking the nutrients. Their roots won't even go as deep as the other crop plants you'd likely want to grow.
>>
>>2692448
Ideally you want something like microclover, though. Some larger clovers could conceivably be an issue.
>>
>>2692448
Oh this is a good answer maybe I'll just leave them be. Seems like they'd strangle out some sprouts from seed though, and I still do direct-sow seeds come spring time?
>>
So, I accidentally a house.
What do I do now with the garden?
I grew up with a garden, so I'm not totally clueless, but so far, it always was
>upturn it in autumn
>let the winter frosts do their thing
>put on compost in spring
>WaLa, you can now grow stuff
But I already skipped the autumn part (and winter too, it'll be a while until I can move in) and I don't have a compost pile.
Plus, there's only two small patches (and a greenhouse) that have been fallow for a few years, I guess and some lawn (luckily, the "shitty" grass + moss + X kind, not a roundup death zone) that I want to turn into productive zones, so I kinda gotta start from scratch.
The patches I can probably use as is, at worst I gotta use some fertilizer, but for the lawn? Some legumes for starters to fix some nitrogen? Lentils seems kinda appealing to me, since I really like them, but I'm not sure if that's the best of ideas, compared to the usual cover crops.
Guess I gonna start tomatoes soon, that green house probably can't be worse than the pot's I've been growing them in on my balcony so far, at worst, I gotta get some help from Haber-Bosch.
However, I'm kinda interested in maybe trying permaculture or something along those lines, but I guess as long as I'm not going full retard boomer, a little fertilizer won't fuck up too much.
>>
File: Cynara_cardunculus_008.jpg (417 KB, 1280x960)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
>>2692461
And I'm looking for some suggestions on what to grow, besides the usual tomatoes, salad, herbs which you'd find in most gardens in my area.
Now, don't get me wrong, they're nice and I absolutely wanna grow some, especially tomatoes, but I'm looking for other stuff like tomatoes.
Meaning: Stuff where you can easily beat store bought stuff in taste (or price, at best both) by growing it yourself.
I've got Artichokes on my list. Don't eat them often enough to judge the taste, but I like them, and they're really expensive to buy, so those seem like an obvious "cash crop". Plus, they look fantastic. Maybe a bunch of them along my fence? Half for harvest, half for flowering and looking at them.
And Jerusalem Artichokes are neat too. Not that expensive, but hard to get. They give me some nasty, runny shits, but they taste nice.
>>
>>2692467
Asparagus, garlic, sweet pepper.
>>
File: 1690650680349730.png (292 KB, 389x448)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
lol
>>
>>2692474
Probably don't have the soil (and time) for asparagus, but sweet peppers (and hot ones) are probably worth a try, but they're on my >obvious list anyways.
Is garlic really worth it to grow yourself? Never looked to much into variants and qualities.
>>
>>2692457
>Seems like they'd strangle out some sprouts from seed though, and I still do direct-sow seeds come spring time?
Just dig up a little patch or however much you need and turn the soil where you're going to plant the seeds, and just leave the surrounding cloves in place. The seeds will sprout, and have ample time to establish roots, and by the the time the clover reestablishes itself around the plants, they will be large enough to hold their own.
>>
>>2692480
You'd have to prepare a spot of ground for asparagus, my cousin did it. I think he simply added some sand and tilled a few times.
He also grew a good amount of garlic.
>>
>>2692477
Yeah, they've been claiming shit like this with their propaganda for a while. "We need to ban home gardens because they're a threat to the agricultural industry." was the way they previously phrased it.
>>
>>2692457
Chop and drop. Cut it occasionally during the growing season and place the chopped stuff right back on top of the bed.
>>
>>2692477
We can't stop ecocide fast enough.
>>
>>2692477
Checked.
…and I'd really like to see the numbers backing that headline. I'd guess that this is probably true for quite a lot of scenarios (buying young plants that have been raised in a heated glass house, doing that shopping trip multiple times, with a huge car, the plants are in plastic containers that you of course throw away, lots of artificial fertilizer and herbicides, you throw away half of your harvest because they don't look nice and the rest goes into your household trash instead of compost, which desu probably is how a lot of boomers operate) but still, WTF even is the plan with such a statement?
(fun fact: The second most climate friendly way to produce meat (besides forcing people to go vegan…) are huge who-cares-if-the-animals-are-in-pain-or-sick? mega farms. Very space efficient, very feed efficient and less auxiliary CO2 emitters. )
>>
>>2692405
Ignore the other anon, you are doing things correctly. Clover captures nitrogen from the air, so when you turn it into the dirt, it rots and releases nitrogen back into the dirt. More will likely grow back, so you just do this each season. If you always recycle them, they can't leach anything because the nutrients always go back into the soil.
>>
>>2687519
Can I just put 100% cotton clothes in my compost piles, worm bins and tumblers?

Mostly old tees, plain grey or black or blue. Or will the colouring mess things up
>>
>>2693022
They'd be more useful as cleaning rags or burnt in the stove.
>>
Are you growing any new varieties in your garden this year, /hgm/?

Off the top of my head, these are some new ones I'm growing:
>peppers: yellow 7-pot primo, sugar rush stripey
>tomatoes: a striped variety given to me by a relative

I'm also going to try my hand at dividing and planting dahlias from tubers I saved from a store-bought plant from last year. I've been keeping the tubers somewhere cool, in a box filled with slightly moistened vermiculite.
>>
>>2693168
I want to try growing celeriac, fennel and some asian leafy salad greens. Going to try building an arch for growing things vertically too.
>>
>>2693168
> Are you growing any new varieties in your garden this year, /hgm/?
New varieties as in >new on the market or >new for you?
I want some big, tasty cooking tomatoes. Any good recommendations?
Dalia’s are nice. Might gonna get some. My mom always just threw hers into the garage, in a pot, and that was good enough for them.
>>2693170
>fennel
On my list too.
>>
Anyone here growing Actinidia/hardy kiwi?
I have so much grapevine it's starting to look like monoculture with all it's problems so I've been wandering about planting hardy kiwi instead.
How does it compare to grapevine, can I put it on the same 2 meter trellis or does it need to be bigger and/or stronger?
>>
>>2693280
Big root system. When I was growing one it had vines that were easily over 10 feet long.
>>
File: 1590703889961.jpg (277 KB, 798x780)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>MFW I live in Texas coast
>MFW I bought a bunch on Mediterranean and North African herbs for the summer time
Just need some goats cause I want some goat cheese.
Thinking about getting some Texas native herbs like red bay, sage brush, maybe possum haw.
>>
Any tips on building a food forest? My goal is to have trees/plants at each canopy level.
>>
>>2693378
Also interested in answers to this. Been trying to diversify things a bit and do some gardening to better utilize vertical space. Big year for fruit and nut trees.
>>
File: 1699178013900.jpg (110 KB, 1080x1011)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
innoculate your home today
>>
>>2693436
this bitch just let mushrooms grow off random surfaces in her house?
>>
>>2693436
I wish my ceiling was sprouting fresh oyster mushrooms!
>>
>>2693436
I've always wondered...do the fruiting bodies take in whatever the fungus itself is consuming? Like I mean, if they are eating through laminated wood with all the chemicals that consist of, will the mushrooms themselves also contain those laminate and varnish type chemicals within them? Or the mushroom completely inoculated from those harmful chemicals through weird fungal processes?
>>
Is trying to grow bamboo simply to have a ready supply of stakes a dumb idea? The things have gotten stupidly expensive.
>>
>>2693552
I have been using sunchoke stems, nice twigs from pruning and anything else that is sturdy enough as stakes, not as good as bamboo but they are free.
>>
>>2693505
Mushrooms will absorb undesirable substances.
>>
>>2693559
I ate a mushroom once and it absorbed me.
>>
Does anyone have any recs/info about grow lights? Mainly used to get a good start for seedlings before going outside (last frost 1st week of april here) and probably not used the rest of the year, or just for houseplants/maybe indoor herbs all year round. They seem to range from cheap amazon crap to hundreds of pounds. I just want my seedlings to grow strongly before planting them out, not grow loads of weed or masses of fruiting/flowering plants.

>>2693168
New things I'm growing this year are peas (dwarf and climbing), rhubarb, kohlrabi, garlic, bell pepper, chard, sorrel and strawberries. And loads of new varieties of things I've grown before - tomatoes, aubergines, lettuce, various herbs etc
>>
File: il_1140xN.5686977931_7tud.jpg (2.47 MB, 1140x3130)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
How the heck would you go about transplanting something with roots like this?
>>
>>2693766
Any cheap blurple led will work just fine for seedlings
>>
File: 1680176416977947.jpg (145 KB, 1024x1024)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
if i were to try planting a bunch of saffron bulbs in my grass, would mowing the grass with the saffron flowers turn my normal Compost into Ultracompost, or Spoiled Compost? i kinda wanna see how long it takes to see stamens, and if i could time my mowing with harvesting stamens/flowers
>>
>>2693552
figure out a reason for collecting stakes first. only gonna use them as stakes? sounds dull. get creative.
>>
>>2692477
>fuzzy screenshot of an article with no named website, outlet, or author
Damn you really cracked the case with this one.
>>
File: 1683233696897204.png (1.31 MB, 946x2048)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>2694073
I believe it is a real article.
>>
>>2693998
Well, the style of bamboo I'd be growing would just produce small stakes, if anything. Cold climate, so my options are limited. The small bamboo poles go for like $1 a piece over here. There was a time when $4 could get you a dozen.
>>
>>2694075
>stop growing your own food, goy
>you're lituruhhly killing the planet
>better rely on our totally enviro-friendly s o i crops to survive, it's the responsible thing to do
>also try these crickets
>>
File: PXL_20240128_193316578.MP.jpg (1.68 MB, 1389x1850)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>lil buddys are sleepy
niggas a week old now, do i give them a sand/ash bath now or when?
>>
How does /HGM/ feel about hydroponics? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDC8utAqklo
>>
>>2687785
>>2687779
I absolutely LOVE Padron peppers. Only one in ten is spicy. You pan fry them with some olive oil and salt, then just bite the whole thing. Really tasty, easy to grow, and mildly frost tolerant of you are overwintering (mine easily survived this winter and is already growing new sprouts). I can't find them in any stores near me, so having my own is a nice bonus
>>
>>2688279
Garlic, onions, carrots
>>
>>2694296
Garlic, s.o.y.beans, carrots
>>
>>2693505
There are two options. One is that the mushroom breaks down compound like petroleum, making it purely safe. The other is that is simply accumulates chemicals, making it decidedly not safe.
>>
>>2693378
Morninga canopy layer, fruit tree sub layer, vine layer to grow up the trees, then bush layer, stem veggies, ground cover and root veggies. Cast out a lot of seeds and let nature decide what works for you. Let weeds grow at first, they are pioneer plants, also legume trees make good pioneer plants aswell. Hugelculture beds are cool. Find the land contours and swale it.
>>
>>2693766
I use migro aray lights myself.
>>
>>2693766
I have an IKEA VÄXER light over some peppers and while the light is kinda funky (spotty mixture of purple and white) it seems to work. It comes with a standard screw socket.
>>
Hello, I have a cheap harbor freight grow light for seed starting and was wondering if anyone had any experience with a larger setup using Fluorescent tubes? seems like I could get a lot more coverage but I think it might use more power?

HF light:
https://www.harborfreight.com/19-watt-2-ft-linkable-two-light-full-spectrum-led-plant-grow-light-59250.html
Grow bulb:
https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-bulbs/cfl-light-bulbs/sylvania-reg-48-40w-grow-t12-linear-fluorescent-light-bulb/24660/p-1444431908988-c-1526586197105.htm
(just the bulb)

Seems like the harbor freight option will use the least power but cost a little bit more for coverage.
>>
>>2694124
I bet they make the most peaceful cheep noises in the morning
>>
>>2694457
>IKEA VÄXER
grrr cunts don't offer that in the US, but Australia, Iceland, basically anywhere else, ffs it looks real good too
>>
Hello friends, I have a guava tree sitting in limbo that I really need to put in a proper container soon, but what I’m here to ask is, what are these? I assume they’re bad for the plant, I’ve already pruned a few leaves that had what I assume were eggs or some such on them, as well as brown and even black spots. And this leaf seems to be browning with their presence. Affected leaves were scattered about seemingly at random, so I figure it’s these creatures and not an ill.
>>
File: IMG_20240129_124010105.jpg (3.48 MB, 3892x2919)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
Persian lime tree is frutifying well, there are some signs of citrus canker, which, hopefully I can treat with a copper-based product I bought.
It seems that the aphid has been doing business on the plants as well.
>>
File: IMG_20240129_124018498.jpg (2.89 MB, 3072x4096)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20240129_124024286.jpg (3.07 MB, 3072x4096)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
Leaves had the sign of canker but now some fruits started showing them as well so I will try to treat it.
>>
File: IMG_20240129_124031404.jpg (3.78 MB, 3769x2827)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
Last picture.
>>
>>2693766
I use mars hydro 200W, I think it may actually be too bright judging by the state of my basil. Need to increase distance. Get some reflective material or a grow tent if you want efficiency, but desu seedlings won't give a fuck and it's not for the long term.

Peppers love the lamp, coriander not so much
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (2.26 MB, 4032x3024)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>2687596
>>2687600
>>2687619
nvm it grew another 2 heads, weird but cool nonetheless. i thought that was a plant vs zombies thing only
>>
>>2687785
I love banana peppers. Looked ng to grow some this spring. Less of a heat and more of a sharp bite, in a way reminiscent of a fresh slice of onion.
>>
Finally ordering seeds this weekend to open this year's season, can't wait to work with plants again

Unfortunately all the peppers I was overwintering died after second cold wave this year
Temperature in my storage room fell all the way to 1 Celsius, it's been a while since we had this cold winter, I'll need to install electric heater there because I can't risk temperatures there going below 0

>>2694295
Sounds nice
>mildly frost tolerant of you are overwintering
Very nice in fact, I'll try to get some seeds

>>2694988
I found "sweet banana", "red banana" and "white banana" in seed supplier's stock, not sure which one you are referring to
>>
>>2694519
definitely not peacful, they are annoying
>>
>>2687519
would a layer of walnut leaves+ cardboard+mulch prevent prevent new blackberry branches from growing? I have a wild bush in my backyard that I want to remove but it never works no matter how many times I cut it down.
>>
Any idea where I could get "brown select" Satsuma citrus in Europe?
I can't find it anywhere.
It's supposed to be -12C cold hardy citrus that produces earlier than regular Satsuma.
>>
>>2694075
>The Telegraph
There's your problem bucko.
>>
>>2694124
Are these chicks?
>>
I’m convinced that one of the main secrets to growing plants is confidence. I have an /x/ theory that plants have a spiritual response to you when you are comfortable, confident, and positive working with them.
>>
I’m giving a cute girl a bunch of propagated house plants tomorrow
>>
>>2695739
Yes. Not a theory at all, they %100 respond to you.
An ex of mine used to come to the farm with me alot and while I was doing maintenance/watering she would wander around and sing to the plants and cheer them on, there was measurable positive effect.
>>
>>2695753
The best gift. Nothing gets snizz going like plants you grew yourself.
>>
File: IMG_20240202_054445.jpg (246 KB, 1600x1200)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
Zone 5 preparing for spring.
Gonna give a patch of them a try. Ducks are everything last time I gave them a go.
>>
File: IMG_3428.jpg (3.53 MB, 4032x3024)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
Zone 6. Trying to get brassicas in the ground earlier than ever this year. I’m not experienced in cold weather gardening, so we shall see how this goes.
>>
File: IMG_20240202_054445 (1).jpg (112 KB, 1600x1200)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>2695789
The frugal gardeners heat mat
>>
I ordered some pelleted carrot seeds to try so I don't forget later. I wanted to try them the past 2 seasons but would forget until I'm ready to plant and just use regular seed instead. The larger size should make it easier to get proper seed spacing and bigger carrots instead of having to sprinkle tiny seeds and end up with carrots jammed together.
>>
>>2695841
>what is thinning
Also, wouldn't seed tape be better for what you're trying to achieve?
>>
File: Fig9.jpg (18 KB, 569x450)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2695789
Just to make absolutely sure you know, garden huckleberries aren't actually huckleberries, but are a variant of nightshade. True huckleberries are actually Vaccinum, being relatives of blueberries with the same fruit shape.
I've always been a bit too scared to try growing what they're calling "garden huckleberries", because I have native black-berried nightshades.
>>
>>2695862
Though, knowing history, the little nightshade plants I've been pulling as weeds produce perfectly edible berries and I'm just acting on a hard fear ingrained on me early in life telling me that they'll kill me if I eat them.
>>
File: IMG_20220728_205340.jpg (1.16 MB, 2592x1944)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>2695862
I have fields of actual huckleberries in the woods around my house. I won't be in danger of getting them confused
>>
Just bought some apple trees where do I plant them?
Everything I read says
>don't plant near
>>septic/sewer lines
>>water lines
>>power/internet lines
But pretty much everywhere in the yard is within 20 feet of one of these and it's not a small lot
I have a hard time believing you have to be so careful when planting trees otherwise 90% of people who do have trees would have issues
>>
>>2695902
>otherwise 90% of people who do have trees would have issues
A lot of them do. It largely depends on what variety of tree it is, though.
Water or sewage lines? Don't plant trees on top of them.
Power lines? Don't plant trees that will reach up and entangle them.
In general? Don't plant anything that will get over 30 feet tall anywhere near a home. If there is something that will grow to 150ft feet growing anywhere near the house, consider removing it before it costs $5000 to be removed.
There are trees where they will root right under concrete and shatter it or will do their damnedest to try and breach foundations.
>>
>>2695906
>150ft feet
150ft tall
>>
File: apu the gardener 4.png (755 KB, 656x644)
755 KB
755 KB PNG
>Heavy Storm last few days, covered up my veggies
>No rain in forecast for today, sun shining bright, not a cloud in the sky
>Uncover my plants, water them, add some fertilizer
>Immediately starts to downpour
>Go back out in the rain and get soaked covering my lads up
The Gods certainly have a sense of humor, kek
>>
File: IMG_3379.jpg (2.86 MB, 3024x4032)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
I’ve never tried winter gardening before. I was told in my zone that most cold hardy crops wouldn’t survive the winter. I planted kale, broccoli, cabbage, arugula, radish, carrots, cilantro, and lettuce and just let them do their thing all winter. We got down to 9 degrees and got about of snow. I didn’t lose a single crop. They’re all thriving.
>>
File: IMG_1367.jpg (151 KB, 480x640)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Gonna put some stuff on my windowsill today.
Still missing some big tomatoes. Any suggestions? Marzano seems interesting. (I’ve got a greenhouse, so that should work).
>>
>>2696113
If you're looking for a novelty, the black Crimean varieties are delicious. A classic tomato flavor with sort of a sea salt twist to them. A bit prone to cracking, though. Still trying to figure out how to reduce the prevalence of that. I tend to just pick them off the vine and cut off the damage to do up tomato, mayo, and basil sandwiches. A good extra variety to grow, if not a solid mainline large variety.
>>
>>2696114
Note: The black Crimean varieties like Black Krim aren't to be confused with US black tomatoes like Cherokee Purple. I have never grown the US black tomatoes and can't speak to if they're good or not. I've heard they're sort of bland in comparison, but I have no first hand experience.
>>
File: IMG_1369.jpg (160 KB, 492x640)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>2696114
Sounds interesting.
On the one hand, I don’t like the blacks I’ve tried so far that much (no pun intended…), on the other hand, the old Russian varieties are always good. I’ll head to my local sneeds later and see what they have.
Also, I’m afraid the wife’s gonna cuck me again (pic related) and I’m not ashamed to admit: I like it. Was sceptic at first, but once I tried it, I realized that it’s really great.
>>
>>2687519
It was revealed to me in a dream today, that it's high time to plant my true potato seeds. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'm gonna do it. Wish me luck, Anons.
>>
>>2696173
Always go with premonitions
>>
>>2691724
The inverter fridge is prob a Peltier cycle device unlike your generic huge kitchen fridge. It's more efficient but on a much smaller scale. You may notice that it takes FOREVER to cool down a large mass.
>>
>>2692539
Yeah, I've been wondering what kind of menus l verbal gymnastics they employ to claim that home gardening is contributing to climate change. Ghouls
>>
>>2695864
Uh those native nightshades are the only thing besides ragweed that grows in my yard. I'd like to try a berry but all my research says that they taste terrible and will make me sick.
>>
File: IMG_1417.png (96 KB, 679x563)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>2696209
The elite will do anything to stop people from being self sufficient. “Gardening is white terrorism” is right around the corner.
>>
>>2696209
I am already seeing it said and parroted that home gardening is more polluting than buying it from the store. How people can blindly believe that is stunning
>>
>>2692685
But once you factor in the industrial fertilizer, soil,machinery and transportation of industrial agriculture. There is no way it has a smaller carbon footprint than home gardening.
>>
>>2696209
>>2696299
>>2696308
There is this Canadian permaculture youtube guy who is a massive climate change shill which is a shame because some of his videos are pretty good, I gotta send him this.
>>
>>2696311
Kek, let us know his response
>>
So all this climate change and gardening business is just anti-humanism wearing a mask. These people, the elites, truly believe that they are more valuable than you, that there are too many humans, and you should be enslaved or killed. But they don’t have the power to pull that off quickly so they slowly strip away your rights and any path you have to living a healthy and fulfilled life.

I fully believe that it could be true that home gardens produce more greenhouse gasses than grocery store slop. The most efficient and environmentally friendly way to feed humans is probably to grow a bunch of shit in a lab and deliver it straight to our door. Or maybe filling a warehouse full of chickens and making them live awful lives to be our food.

Sure they can reduce greenhouse emissions, by dehumanizing you. They cannot grow real nutritious food on a large scale and distribute it to you in a eco-friendly way. Home gardening preserves the dignity of your human soul and is eco-friendly relative to pro-human alternatives.
>>
>>2696385
What a load of horse shit post.
>These people, the elites, truly believe that they are more valuable than you
They literally are. They are valued more in the eyes of other people, therefore they have more money etc.
Not all people are the same.
>are too many humans, and you should be enslaved or killed
Schizo hours. If you kill people, there will be less people to buy/desire your shit, thus they will make less money.
>they slowly strip away your rights
Sure. They playing by different set of rules is starting to be a big problem
>home gardens produce more greenhouse gasses than grocery store slop
Yes. It's called economy of scale.
>Or maybe filling a warehouse full of chickens and making them live awful lives to be our food.
Yes that is more efficient than every tard having their own chicken. More efficient = cheaper = more people is being able to afford it = you can feed more people = there are more people.
>Sure they can reduce greenhouse emissions, by dehumanizing you
They can reduce it by a lot more by doing other stuff. But they don't want to and that's a problem that people should fight for.
>They cannot grow real nutritious food on a large scale and distribute it to you in a eco-friendly way
They can. Again it's called economy of scale. It's just that more nutritious food has lower yields thus 1kg/unit of it costs more = more expensive = .... = less people.
>Home gardening preserves the dignity of your human soul
Hobbies are important and side effect of this one is food. What's not to like?
>and is eco-friendly relative to pro-human alternatives.
Literally useless sentence. It would be a lot more eco-friendly if you didn't type this garbage or the LLM behind this post didn't exist.

Look it's just not possible for every tard having their own organic paradise AND having the luxury of current lifestyle AND there being so many people.
That's why people specialize, trade, etc. Economy 101 ffs.
>>
>>2696391
kys
>>
>>2695836
I've been doing this, makes the most sense tbqh
>>
Pepper gang, its it time yet?
(Started my germination, UK)
>>
>>2696417
Working on it. Trying to decide if I want to do newspaper pots or soil blocks this year.
>>
>>2696114
If you're trying to prevent cracking in heirloom varieties, harvest them as soon as they're "blushing" and let them ripen on the table, windowsill or whatever.
>>
>>2696113
Beefsteak is a classic big slicing tomato, tried and true, easily accessible. One of my personal favorites is Martha Washington, it's a medium pink tomato. Soft flesh, huge flavor and gorgeous.
>>
>>2695841
Pelleted seeds are great. Just make sure you water more than you normally would to dissolve the coating once you've sown them. I would also recommend covering them with landscaping fabric while they germinate, for about 4-7 days, most pelleted varieties will break soil after the 7 day mark.
>>
>>2696417
My padrons have been growing for a couple of weeks now (soviet swedistan). Two-inch pots with one inch planting soil and one inch peat on top.
>>
>>2696417
I'm in a lower latitude then you and a much colder climate and I'd say get started now.
>>
>>2696391
>imagine unironically guzzling globohomo dick on 4chan of all places
At this point it's really undeniable that there is a group of monied elite that objectively control govt and media and do truly want us dead or enslaved.
If you don't see this and lack some level of basic understanding about it at this point it's really startlingly retarded of you.
It's out in the open, the people in charge are open about it, they will tell you in lectures their plans and in less than 10 years what they say in talks today happens in reality for you and I.
Also there are numerous studies that indicate modern industrial farms do not grow food that is as nutritious as food grown in the past, no matter if it's organic or not.
>>
>>2696500
90% of your post is some retarded schizo rambling
>Also there are numerous studies that indicate modern industrial farms do not grow food that is as nutritious as food grown in the past, no matter if it's organic or not.
I literally didn't say anything that would disagree with this.

If they could do it in the past they can do it now and better but nutrition just wasn't the focus.
Commercial cultivars are bread for several factors.
Yield, how well does it store, how does it taste etc.
Of course there will be cultivar that are full of nutrients or what ever is the one aspect you are interested in and are way better than the stuff you find in stores.
But if they don't store well or take forever to grow or require more resources to grow or something then it other cultivars will be selected instead.

It's like those big hydroponic tomatoes that have no flavour what so ever versus tomatoes you can grow in your yard.
But your special snowflake tomatoes need much more resources to grow and if you pick them just when they are ripe, they don't store well.

Same with apples. I have some apples on my property that are delicious but are small. If I would want to sell them then 1kg would be like 10x as expensive as the commercial variety. Are they 10x as better? No due to dimishing returns.
Guess which one would the consumers chose?
You do realize money is a finite resource right? How many people can you feed with nutritious food on a budget if all food is 10x as expensive?
>>
>>2696509
>retarded schizo rambling
I'm sorry that you're retarded and unable to look at the world around you.
I honestly feel bad for the good goy cattle like yourself.
The people in charge are actually very open and candid about their plans for us, you just choose to be ignorant.
https://youtu.be/9drcYlTKLTo?si=VR0zUqg7uahSGWz-
Yes the cultivars are primarily being grown for storage and transportation but there is a huge amount of evidence that indicates that the problem is far greater than that, soil depletion for example cannot be overcome by just fertilizer use.
>>
>>2696509
Kys you fucking NPC
>>
>>2696509
You are not even worth arguing with because you are so brainwashed
>>
File: 1632412932282.png (1.04 MB, 1024x702)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>2696515
Your posts lack any sort of intelligence.
You keep rambling about ((((them)))), branching to various areas without any conherent point, staw maning various arguments... this might work on /pol/ but not so much in the real world.
You should work on your skills else in 20 years you will be the one forced to eat ze bugs.

Anyway, what cultivars are you anons planting this year?
I found something called ulluco, looks like some fancy potatoes, so I'll give that a try.
My last year purple carrots and peas were a success, but this time I really want to focus on flavour not looks.
>>
>>2688279
Grow prickly pears if you're somewhere warm. I grow a ton of opuntia stricta in zone 8 Florida. Immortal plants and tons of fruit that taste like raspberries
>>
>>2693552
Bamboo is one of the most useful plants in the world
>>
Anyone have a lead on good seed starter trays that won't fall apart after a year?
>>
>>2696586
I’m on my second year of using these and they haven’t degraded at all
https://www.amazon.com/MIXC-Adjustable-Germination-Greenhouse-Propagator/dp/B07L41H13T/ref=sxin_20_pa_sp_phone_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.41ca4032-b3d8-441b-ba06-bdcabfd44cd0%3Aamzn1.sym.41ca4032-b3d8-441b-ba06-bdcabfd44cd0&crid=2FAGV929KZ7C0&cv_ct_cx=seed+starting+trays&keywords=seed+starting+trays&pd_rd_i=B07L41H13T&pd_rd_r=32c450b3-9586-473b-aec7-ffe52d0536fb&pd_rd_w=oLw7Q&pd_rd_wg=92L5C&pf_rd_p=41ca4032-b3d8-441b-ba06-bdcabfd44cd0&pf_rd_r=67H84TFF8MM2BEVZ2Y34&qid=1707093479&sprefix=seed+starting+teays%2Caps%2C193&sr=1-2-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1
>>
>>2696588
https://www.amazon.com/MIXC-Adjustable-Germination-Greenhouse-Propagator/dp/B07L41H13T is all you needed from that. Everything after that technically doxes you.
And yeah, ran with a set of those for two years. They work okay, but they started cracking or melting. Was thinking of soil blocking, but need good, solid trays for the blocks.
>>
>>2696592
Thanks anon, and thanks mods for undoxxing my dumb ass
>>
>>2696592
try these, on the manufacturer website they have a woman holding a cinderblock in one, they are actually that strong

https://www.amazon.com/1020-Trays-Propagation-Germination-Microgreens/dp/B01BKOG616
>>
Anyone ever mess with growing tobacco? I ordered some seeds but am new to growing things other than vegetables.
>>
>>2696642
I’ve grown a related species, Nicotiana, and it was honestly a set it and forget it experience. As long as it had water I did t need to pay it any mind and it grew massive.
>>
>>2694075
>>2694101
I asked chatgpt whether home growing (I used my own garden as the example) compares or produces more CO2, it decidedly said no, that my garden not only doesn't produce nearly as much but most likely makes more efficient use of material since smaller scale.
Whoever wrote this article is more subversive than AI
>>
>>2695818
dont you have like... to do that like... now?
>>
>>2696646
Awesome, thanks.
>>
>>2693374
Are you a Texas City Chad (or around that area)?
>>
>all the people who buy a mattock then engage in autistic screeching because they weren't able to hack through a boulder with it
This is the gardening version of the batonning meme, isn't it?
>>
>>2696776
Just in case anyone is confused because they've never had the opportunity to use a mattock, a mattock is basically a heavy duty hoe. The purpose of it is largely to act as an adze with the other side being able to dislodge rocks or cut through roots, depending on if it's a pick or cutter mattock. It isn't a tool for breaking or cracking rocks. It's a tool for digging in frozen or rocky ground.
>>
>>2695590
It's the UN official narrative guy.
>pay the garden carbon tax or loose your property rights
>>
Thoughts on winter sowing?
>>
>>2696778
I should get one. I've been using a pick axe and a spade for years. Lots of rocks. Mostly sand
>>
Would it be hard to overwinter artichoke around zone 6B with clay soil?
I cleared somewhat sheltered spot before winter came and I want to plant something new there, artichoke seems good.
>>
I tried to participate in my community by going to a seed starting party with a local gardening club. It was a bunch of middle aged or old women who were bitching about women shit the whole time and they all had awful gardening advice and wouldn’t listen to me.
>>
>>2697107
Honestly not sure what you expected.
Any normie hobby will have majority of retards, let alone gardening that is mostly girl hobby.
The fact that you are here of all places trying to discuss with fellow plant autists already puts you in top 10% of all gardeners.
>>
>>2697107
An important thing to realise is that few people are deeply interested in anything, few are capable of separating knowledge and ideas from their own ego, and of these few, some just arent fussed about being around others.

People also have huge ego around things that take them time: realising you've been doing xyz wrong every day/week for years is incredibly painful for sensitive types.

Lastly, realise that most people attending a low skill barrier activity are just looking to socialise with peers.

tfw no /hgm/ general irl
>>
>>2696661
Remember that ChatGPT is trained on the Internet, and therefore probably lacks quality views on such an understudied matter.
If you mention economies of scale, and produce per unit CO2 produced in the prompt, you might see a different response.

Also use GPT4 or dont bother using GPT for info.
ChatGPT is bad for facts, but good for heuristics
>>
>>2697108
>>2697109
I know some gardening autists in real life and they are also unbearable. They can’t believe I haven’t tested my soil yet to know my exact nutrient levels, meanwhile I’m harvesting bumper crops of tomatoes. Or they are yelling at me for planting raspberries because for some I shouldn’t plant invasives in the totally natural ecosystem of my backyard garden.

The problem with autists is that they get caught up in minutiae and can’t just relax and let you garden how you want to. The problem with normies is that they are retarded.
>>
>>2697108
>not sure what you expected
Two things:
1. I wanted to participate in my local community because I think that’s important.
2. I thought maybe there would be a girl worth befriending
>>
>>2697116
I'm not fond of autists, I'm just saying there's few competent people who are non autistic out there with a genuine interest in stuff. Most of these kinds of people are probably caught up running businesses and having kids or some shit.
>>
File: mfw3.jpg (97 KB, 824x824)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>2697107
>tfw you want to swap some seeds IRL but you're to shy to go for it
But joking aside, my dad is in his villages pomiculture club and from what he tells me, that's the real deal. (of course, it's very boomerish, but that's a given)
>>2697116
>The problem with autists is that they get caught up in minutiae and can’t just relax and let you garden how you want to. The problem with normies is that they are retarded.
100% this.
>>
>>2696391
>>home gardens produce more greenhouse gasses than grocery store slop
>Yes. It's called economy of scale.
That doesn't really apply when a home garden setup isn't anywhere near as mechanized as industrial agriculture.
If one were growing everything in new peat compost every year, flooding it with pesticides and fertilizers, and not even attempting to save the seeds, then I could see it being worse (particularly if you work on the assumption it would otherwise be unmanaged wild land rather than just more lawn or parking space), but me growing last year's seed potatoes in my backyard with nothing but my hands and a shovel (which itself has been in the family for generations) is surely as close to zero emission as physically possible, if not outright negative considering the plants absorbing that stuff as they grow.
>>
Is the Fiskars soil blocker any good?
>>
>>2697201
I can't find a single meaningful review unfortunately but for fifteen dollars compared to 30-40 for the standard metal ones who knows
the blocks aren't square which is shit if you're trying to maximize tray space (which is a big reason for doing soil blocks in the first place, so you can make loads of tiny blocks to start in)
the flexibility of being able to do 1 pint or 4 single cells seems like a good decision but there's nobody online who can say whether it holds up, is easy to clean/operate, etc
>>
>>2697248
Might try making one out of junk, since it's a very simple design.
>>
Noob here. Growing my first ever crop. It's called tomate rio grande and it looks like this after only 3 days.
I didn't read the packaging so I thought they would germinate after a week or something like the youtube videos said so I was really surprised to see them so big so fast. I thought I had bought substrate with roids or something lmfao.

Sorry for the shit pic. I took it in a hurry
>>
File: download (5).jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2696945
The UN? What are you going on about? Start your seeds summer draws near
>>
>>2687596
>Just found out that sunflowers just blossom and then die :(
The same can be said about all living things.
It's only sad, when it blossoms and there is no partner to exchange DNA information with to make offspring for the future.
>>
File: 1700461742604446.jpg (15 KB, 456x320)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>mfw I spent last two days agonizing over which varieties of veggies I want to order and decided on nothing yet
Why are there so many of them, like, I go to sweet pepper page and there are 4 pages with 30 entries each and my autism won't let me choose the first one I like
>>
>>2697567
That’s not even true though.
First of all, he is clearly talking about the brevity of the sunflower life compared to perennial flowers. There are plants that live for inconceivably long periods of time, like redwoods, which are not even comparable to a human life, let alone a sunflower.
Second, plants that reproduce by propagation or tubers can theoretically live indefinitely and not even bother with sexual reproduction.
Also, you are a weird motherfucker if you think the emotion of sadness is only tied to reproduction. Sadness is non-rational most of the time and not tied to Darwinian success. It is sad when a trees leaves go away and joyful when they come back again. It is sad that sunflower plants only get one season of beauty and then leave forever.

>>2687596
Always remember the joy of spring. Is tied to the sadness of fall. You can always bring more joy next season by planting more sunflowers.
>>
>>2697644
Because humans have been actively cultivating them for a long ass time. Just pick like three to test, choose your favorite, plant that and a couple new testers next year.
>>
File: IMG_0025.jpg (1.99 MB, 4032x3024)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
NOOO, one of my sunflowers got aphid AIDS due to those fucking ants. That actually pisses me off. I'll make a homemade insecticide with potasium soap, lemon skin, garlic and alcohol. I'll report if it works, never done it.
>>
>>2697644
Sort by most popular and pick your peppers from the top ten? Or just randomly add to cart and don't look back. Remember that gardening is supposed to be fun and that there is always next year.
>>
>>2697717
I just take the alcohol myself and give the bugs deltamethrin
>>
>>2697727
>deltamethrin
do that harm bees? i know shit about insecticides and im making that one because is "organic" wathever that means because alchool doesnt sound organic to me, but apparently it doesnt affect bees that step on it.
>>
>>2697644
I do this as well, this year with lettuce. Tens of varieties and each has a different description, i.e. different characteristics are mentioned, so you cannot easily compare them. But overall, I'm trying to ease off a little bit, I really don't want to stress about gardening, of all things. The same goes for my gardening log, which I compressed into single table: variety - sowing date - germination date - (pricking out date) - (potting up date) - planting out date - harvesting date.
>>
>>2697717
Aphid-induced stress response is a sadly underrecognized condition. People keep confusing it with a virus to the point where I think the virus may not exist.
>>
Hello, HGM new fag here.
I have a good few houseplants now, but want to get into growing veggies and some berries for fun. I thought I would start growing on my east facing apartment patio while at college and suitable areas of my yard while at home (both 6A). I wanted to use old gallon milk jugs just to save on some startup costs. They are HDPE which is the best option for outdoor pots when it comes to plastic. The thing I am a little worried about is that it just seems like a microplastic factory that I would then be growing food in. From some basic googling I would be worried about UV degrading the plastic so I think I would cycle out the jugs once a year. People do seem to grow in plastic pots (also HDPE) forever, but that plastic is so much thicker than milk jugs. Am I just being a retard and overthinking this or are my concerns realistic? Enjoy the wall of text.
>>
>>2694442
>migro
neat
>>
>>2697807
We don't actually know yet, it might turn out to be a nothing burger or big aids like leaded gasoline.
Future generations will look at us and think we are retarded for using that stuff everywhere or for being afraid of using plastic.
>>
>>2697807
I’ve started seeds in milk jugs for a few years now and I have no known health issues from it
>>
Are there any cold-hardy evergreen shrubs with edible qualities? Been looking at things to add a flush of green to winter and it seems like all the good evergreen plants are poisonous.
>>
File: 1704449175415379.jpg (4.64 MB, 2250x4000)
4.64 MB
4.64 MB JPG
>>2697830
What is your zone?
Some blueberry and blackberry cultivars keep most of their leaves on in cold but not very cold climate, I have such blackberries (6B), they are young I only planted those last spring but as you can see they still have some leaves left in February despite multiple sub -10 C frosts.
You might not think of blackberries as shrubs but if you plant cultivar with rigid canes (I have such in a different place) they pretty much are shrubs.
There is also cranberry and lingonberry both mostly evergreen but those are tiny, more like ground cover than a shrub.
>>
>>2692467
Would recommend cardoon as well as artichoke, interesting veg, used a lot in France and Italian cooking. Also looks impressive (like a big fuck off artichoke). You eat the stems and immature flowers of Cardoon
>>
>>2692467
This stuff is amazing on pizza. It's like a cross between cream cheese and egg with slight onion undertones, I love it.
>>
>>2697807
I have no idea if this is the case where you live but here you can usually pick up those shitty plastic pots and trays from big gardening/nursery whatever stores. It's just trash for them and are happy to get rid of them. Usually it's the smaller stuff but they often have bigger pots too if they sell bigger plants.
>>
How do I get water cuttings to work? I've tried maybe a dozen times with various plants that are said to "root easily in water" with a 0% success rate. For example, last year I did two dozen peppermint cuttings in water and 100% died before making roots. Clearly I'm doing it wrong
>>
>>2697645
damn you are fucking triggered.
>>
>>2697833
I'm growing blackberries and they just mostly shoot straight up with little yellow flowers on the tip. I thought they were supposed to send runners/vines? Or do those come later? I know they don't usually produce fruit until the second year (still on my first, planted in the fall). I added nitrogen fertilizer to them when they started making flowers
>>
>>2697929
You might be cutting in the wrong place, or maybe buy rooting hormone at your local greenhouse and add it to the water
>>
>>2697932
People who are triggered don't write their next sentence as, "Always remember the joy of spring. Is tied to the sadness of fall. You can always bring more joy next season by planting more sunflowers."

That's not triggered.
>>
>>2697932
Low quality dumb posts need to be called out
>>
Anyone know what this is? The seed packet said arugula (rocket) but it may have been mis labeled because it doesn’t look like rocket at all
>>
do you guys grow hydroponic rice? should be most kcal/m2/year at over 4500
>>
File: IMG_9447.jpg (100 KB, 768x512)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>2687519
If a vegetable plant or fruit tree says it needs “x” hours of sunlight a day does that mean year round or only during the growing season?

I have an area I’d like to plant some apple trees. Late spring to early fall we get the necessary sunlight but late fall to late winter we don’t really get enough direct sunlight.
>>
File: IMG_3522.jpg (1.27 MB, 1170x1234)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2698024
I see two leaves. One may be a mustard relative like mizuna (pic related) the other is harder, maybe a variety of spinach
>>
>>2698040
>If a vegetable plant or fruit tree says it needs “x” hours of sunlight a day does that mean year round or only during the growing season?
If you do not know this, I am assuming you also might not know about apple trees. An apple tree that bears good fruit is almost always grafted onto the roots of an apple tree that grows strong roots. You rarely get an example that will do both, so don't make the mistake of spitting out your pips and dropping them into the ground. 2-3 years later you'll return and be disappointed with what you find.

It means within the growing season though, for the recommended amount of sun.
>>
>>2698005
>I know they don't usually produce fruit until the second year
Depends on cultivar, some flower on same year canes, most flower on second year canes as you say.

>I thought they were supposed to send runners/vines?
Again, depends on cultivar, wild blackberries send a ton of runners but most cultivated blackberries send very few to none.
They'll root in the ground if a cane touches the ground, this doesn't usually happen with rigid, upright cultivars like yours (I assume) because they only go up but you can bend it or force it to root by air layering.

>I added nitrogen fertilizer to them when they started making flowers
Fertilizing in Spring is good but nitrogen promotes green mass growth which is good long term but for strong flowering your want high potassium-phosphorus and medium to low nitrogen, I use balanced 10-10-10 mix for my blackberries.
>>
>>2698024
Looks like spinach to me.
>>
Does anyone else here hybridize and grow daylilies? I've been hybridizing my own daylily seedlings for about half a decade now with mixed results. None of the crosses that I made resulted in aesthetically pleasing flowers, but quite a bit of them are hardy and grow quite well despite my harsher climate zone (Ontario, Canada). Is it possible that the climate impacts the quality of the flowers? Would my same seedlings be better off down in Florida somewhere?
>>
>>2697201
Every Fiskars gardening tool I've ever used has been a cheap piece of plastic shit that is only good for light use hobbyists.
>>
>>2697067
Shouldn't be an issue at all, I would just give them a thick mulch layer after last harvest before first frost.
>>
>>2698056
>An apple tree that bears good fruit is almost always grafted onto the roots of an apple tree that grows strong roots.

No, I was not aware of that. Are there online growers I can purchase something like this from or would it be best to seek out a local nursery?

I really do appreciate your help, anon. Thank you for helping me learn.
>>
>>2698056
Apples don't grow true from seed, but it isn't to say you can't get good apples from seed-grown trees. You can. It's just a dice roll every time. It's sort of funny that one of the go-to fruits you think of as being reliably cultivated isn't actually domesticated. Though that's probably because sweet apples are a bit of a modern novelty and they were initially largely used for making booze.
>>
File: 1704706037352081.png (1.44 MB, 2304x1728)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>2698158
Vast majority of apple trees will be already grafted, they should know what kind of rootstock it's grafted on, how vigorously tree will grow and height it'll reach will depend on rootstock type so it's kind of important.
When you put it into soil make sure you plant it around root crown height, not graft union height or even deeper.

Also when looking for specific cultivars make sure whatever you are choosing is at least somewhat disease and pest resistant, some cultivars don't work well without constant spraying like they do it in orchards.
>>
Can any anons help me find the garden planning tool I used a couple of years ago? It didn't require an account or login, it had a pretty good database of plants, allowed you to do square foot gardening layouts - it had info on which plants should use two squares, etc. - and it had editable grow times so that you could plan succession planting.
I can't find it now and everything I can find either has ridiculous subscription fees or doesn't have the features.
>>
File: IMG_9423.jpg (128 KB, 660x1200)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>2698165
Thank you anon. That was very helpful.
>>
>>2697808
I really like them, they work well and the company owner is a good dude that deserves support for all the effort he has put into testing and educating others about grow lights.
>>
>>2698166
I could probably make it in a weekend using chatgpt, watch this space
>>
I can’t seem to locate any answer to my question anywhere.
Are English walnut trees suited for South Jersey which is zone 7b/8? All the nursery websites indicate this is their grow zone but I’ve never seen anyone grow them here which is strange given how many le permaculture enthusiasts there are here.
>>
>>2698143
Thanks, I'm planning to do exactly that
>>
>>2698238
The lack of decent open source projects on github is weird. The hardest part of this should be putting together the database of different cultivars and their related info. If you start something up on github, post the link here. I wouldn't mind to contribute if I have some time
>>
>>2698314
I'm in zone 7 and they are everywhere.
I don't see a reason why they shouldn't grow in your place.
>>
Do any of you keep record of your plants?

Like how many you have, when did you plant them, last time you harvested them, when to transplant, water, fertilize, etc.

If so how? excel sheet? paper and paper? app? noggin'?
>>
File: 1680525677553702.jpg (299 KB, 1209x1209)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Hope I don't burn my house down somehow, some of the power regulator chips burned out and I did some proper bodge work to replace them.
This thing is 85 watt but I could only get about 1.5 feet of distance between it and the floor. Any chance it'll be too bright for my seedlings? I measured about 13500 lux directly below it I think that'll be ok.
>>
Just started my first garden in my backyard, live in zone 9b in a residential area. Fortunately for enjoying summer, my backyard gets about 4 hours of sun throughout the day. This is unfortunate for plants, though. What I'm growing now is carrots and collard greens, just planted in ground, no pots. Soil is newly purchased and dug in the ground (2 feet deep). I'm new to gardening, not the outside so the work is incredibly easy for me. I bought lavender plants and a medium sized local flowering plant. Began a 2x2ft mulch pile, to grow in size. Not many insects around, hoping to change that.

Probably not many people in this climate, so will update with a pic every week or so and will post a do's and do not's unless consensus says fuck off. With the only 4 hours of sun, this might totally fail. Anybody have any expertise on this?
>>
>>2698552
>my backyard gets about 4 hours of sun throughout the day
Sounds perfect for pawpaw trees

>zone 9b
Maybe not, not sure if they can grow in this warm climate
>>
im gonna raise quail in tractor as food for me and dubia as food for quail, how much quail would i need for myself if i only got rice, cabbage and sweet potatoes?
anything i gotta now?
>>
>>2698465
Yes. With pen and paper.
>>
I started a bunch of dormant cuttings too early and now I have several dozen trees outgrowing their prop boxes in the middle of winter. Any ideas on what to do?
>>
I have a big yard.
My pest control guy comes in on February 14th and last time I asked, he said to plant food as far away from the house as possible. I don't want to plant food (yet). I do want to start a butterfly garden. I've been looking at native plant options (mostly milkweed for monarchs). Is 30 or so yards away from my foundation good for butterflies? or do I need to fire the pest control guy?
>>
>>2698796
Depends on what you're spraying for, but the stuff he's spraying will kill butterflies and hummingbirds as easy as it will anything else, so it's solid advice to distance something intended for pollinators as far away as possible.
>>
>>2698796
>>2698798
I'll just add. If you're planning to plant milkweed, consider swamp milkweed or one of the other clustering milkweed varieties like butterfly weed. Common milkweed stretches rhizomes across the yard until it finds spots it likes and then sends up new shoots.
>>
>>2698800
monarch watch recommends me
>Asclepias asperula
>Asclepias viridis
My place is almost tropical but a little too inland to get the ocean temperature/moisture regulation (and therefore droughts some Summers).
I have some honeysuckle near the house that I've seen bees on, but that's dodgy. I another flower bush in the front yard including roses that get the full blast of pest control so that might be bad as well.
I love the roses though they're so overgrown, I've never trimmed them. I don't know of overgrown unkempt plants is like gore here but nearly everything grows in this soil
>>
>>2698800
This. Fucking this. I was playing a game of demonic whack-a-mole all summer last year because the previous owners of my house had milkweed and the seeds/rhizomes went every-fucking-where. I had to tear up half the fucking yard.
>>
>>2698813
Yep. Can appreciate the vigor of the plant, but it doesn't stay put. I tend to just yank the shoots and toss them in the compost pile. Beats trying to fight that battle. Now that I have some clumping forms I might take up a grand relocation of all the rhizome, but it's low priority.
>>
>>2698358
Yeah the data collection will be slightly harder (more lengthly) I imagine one could add cultivars on the fly - via pull request or similar.

Did the tool let you design on any shape or was it constrained to a rectangular of a size of the user's choosing?
>>
File: 1707337483815483.jpg (181 KB, 1290x1370)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
I would like to grow hemp so that I can use the seeds for eating and oil to cook with.

Every website I go to is geared towards potheads and I cannot find any HEIRLOOM hemp seeds that will give me plants that produce many seeds. I don't to need a plant with seeds with a lot of THC or CBD.

Simple. I need seeds to grow hemp for edible consumption. I will juice the plant leaves once they are ready and eat the hemp seed meal.

Any websites that sell these? I'm America so it's legalized here.
>>
>>2699024
WTF? 67k for a car with 203k miles? Pls be trolling.
On your question: Due to the whole THC issue and the legal situtaion here in Euroland, all hemp that was grown legally (so, not a lot…) had to be no/neglible THC, so there should be a few modern cultivars too. Most probably for textile fiber though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp has this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hemp_varieties maybe google the names from that one?
>>
>>2699024
sunflower?
>>
>>2687519
pruned a mulberry tree it was nearly 6m tall I cut it down to 2.5m did I mess up by cutting too much? Its ~5 years old I did another radical cut like that before as well I think two years ago. It was too big and taking away all the light...
>>
>>2699061
Probably not, mulberries are extremely vigorous.
But you could seal the largest cutting wounds with pruning paste or paint to ensure no infection gets in.
>>
>>2699046
Seems they mainly sell tinctures and gummies for CBD but I will message them and ask and also see if they know any outfits that sell hemp seeds
>>
>>2698862
I was finally able to find a screenshot that I had of it. it was sfgplanner com. The site is down now.
It only allowed for basic shapes - that was enough for my use. Being able to plan succession planting with its time to harvest was nice. If we could get an open source database going, that alone would be great. A self-host app would be cool though
>>
Should I genocide all my ferns and plant mosses instead in their place next season?
I think moss gardens look pretty neat
>>
looks like everyone is in tree pruning.
got some old apple trees that have been left to grow , im just going to cut the biggest stright vertical branch on each.
im excited to start grafting.
its amazing how many trees we tap for sap.
birch
maple
evergreens
gum trees
its really cool.
i love trees.
i wish i could do more for them.
>>
>>2693436
tough choice.
do you want black mold or oyster mushrooms.
theres fungus innoculates crazy ass engineering students are developing that groew into mycelial mats to form rigid structures. and making tables and bricks out of mushrooms.
>>
File: 1684475017151023.jpg (216 KB, 900x801)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>2693378
the first indigenious tribes were known as mound builders.
some part in grave burial, but also in the very bigginning of agricultrual techniques.
>>
>>2692467
its an anagram of nigger
>>
Anyone have experience with ducks?
I'm thinking about getting some and looking for one with a temperament on the calmer, quieter, friendlier side.
I've heard khaki Campbells can be pretty skittish even if you work with them a lot when they're little, but apparently Welsh Harlequins are a lot more sociable, while still having a lot of similar breed characteristics
>>
I'm starting tomatos by seed. Hope they grow.
>>
Northern California
Plant Hardiness Zone: 9b

I have about 1,600 sq. ft./150 m2 to work with in my front yard. It is currently a failed lawn/weeds. What can I plant that is low maintenance but looks nice so I don't piss off the neighbors?

Soil is fucking fantastic. Well draining and loamy. Very loose and easy to work with. It is on the northern side of the house. The lots to the east and west have large trees so it doesn't get much sun in the morning or evening but gets decent sun midday. No irrigation currently. Ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer.
>>
File: file.png (2.96 MB, 1338x1004)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB PNG
what can I do with tree twigs/branches other than throwing it away? Wood clips would be one option but thats work and I would have to get a machine first.
>>
>>2699246
Turn them into charcoal
Can be used to grill or turned into biochar or to filter water and many more
No tools required, you can use simple cone pit method
>>
>>2699249
>cone pit method
sounds cool but I think starting a fire in winter would piss off my neighbors. Anything else?
>>
File: IMG_20240214_163411.jpg (962 KB, 1205x951)
962 KB
962 KB JPG
Guys... the tractor is stuck.
>>
My last year tomatoes were a disaster, got hardly anything out of them before they died from some disease meanwhile peppers and most of other veggies were doing fantastic up to the first frost.
And I read it's normal and they are always super fragile, I'm definitely planting more peppers instead this year.
So the question I have is why do people bother with them at all?
>>
>>2688283
...this map does indeed get me Hard.
>>
>>2699294
Because garden grown tomatoes are so much better than store bought ones they don't even feel like they're in the same genus
>>
>>2695590
>>2694073
>le smug reddit face
It's not a study conducted by the Telegraph you mouth breathing retard. The study was published in the journal Nature Cities and many other news outlets have covered it.

https://news.yahoo.com/carbon-footprint-homegrown-food-five-200247599.html
https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-sustainability/4418561-climate-carbon-urban-agriculture-versus-conventional-study/
https://www.technologynetworks.com/applied-sciences/news/community-gardens-have-six-times-the-carbon-footprint-of-agriculture-383009

I hate boot licking bugmen so much
>>
File: bIMG_2539.jpg (249 KB, 1300x975)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>2695841
My pelleted Neptune carrot seeds (imperator type) arrived today, a few months ahead of when I'll need them.
>>
>>2699356
what are you going to do?
>>
>>2699529
Shoot them out of my urethra like bbs
>>
>>2699529
Plant them in mid-late April. I always plant my carrots far too thick because the seeds are tiny / hard to see, and am too lazy to thin them. The pelleted seeds are upwards of 20x larger and easy to see so I can space them out properly for large carrots instead of tons of small ones.
>>
>>2699643
I like my carrots with a side of modern engineering, in the name of end-user convenience. You Americans really do hyper-consume everything almost by second nature.
>>
When and how do I prep a blackberry transplant? I have a started plant coming in and I'd like to give a transplant to my parents to grow
>>
File: apfel booze.png (491 KB, 482x636)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
>>2698161
>and they were initially largely used for making booze.
hell yeah brother
>>
>>2698166
There was one I mentioned on here probably a couple years ago, The Old Farmers Almanac planning tool, however, they've gone to requiring a login, gay.
>>
>>2699334
>I hate boot licking bug men

>Is pretending that he can't infact grow his own food without constantly shipping material from far off places or using "exotic" fertilizers or amendments, which is were most of the emissions from the study come from.
> Not having enough critical thinking skills to question or at least work through and adapt and correct his own gardening practices to produce less emissions noted. Or uncover the potential bias in what would cause a new outlet like the Telegraph to post something like this.
>Shows his lack of critical thinking skills and his own conformity by name calling.

I'd compost you if I thought you had any worth in that meat puppet of yours. Here's your (You).
>>
>>2696343
I thought youtube ate my comment or he ignored it but no, took him some time I guess.
>That study was EXTREMELY FLAWED. They compared essentially miracle grow gardens to industrial agriculture, and ignored all the downsides of industrial agriculture such as deforestation and soil loss. If you compare the type of gardening we teach here, permaculture, with ZERO INPUTS, there is no comparison. I have NEGATIVE carbon footprint in my gardens, because the only input is my labour to plant/sow and harvest
Pretty much what I expected, I just don't get why people go so deep into climate change evangelism.
>>
>>2699715
Who are you quoting? Do you ever leave the house or go offline for extended periods of time?
>>
can someone sneed the 400 gardening book pdf
>>
File: its a start.jpg (1.34 MB, 3392x1740)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2699670
>>2699356
>>2699334
HA HA
YES!YES!
>>
Are the limbless apple trees actually unique in any way, or are they just aggressively pruned apple trees?
>>2699774
What hazelnut varieties?
>>
>>2699843
white oak, swamp white oak, chinkapin oak and english or spanish chestnut.
i do admit that filbert trees look cool but i dont really like hazelnuts.
>>
>>2699715
nigga why did you respond to me with that schizo babble?
>>
>>2699843
Figured this out. Columnar apples are actually genetic mutants that take to the form well and accept just existing and fruiting as a single stem.
>>2699866
Ah. Well, I hope everything goes well for you. You look fit to grow a proper forest.
>>
>>2699123
This is helpful, thanks.
I intend to try my hand at it on Sat, will post progress here.
>>
>>2699246
>fill the base of raised beds, like a small-scale hugelkulture
>chip and compost them
>make habitat piles for beneficial insects in unused parts of the garden
Just a few ideas
>>
>browsing columnar apple trees
>find one for sale
>reference photo shows they cut the leader and allowed the tree to fork
>>
>>2699981
>hugelkulture
could that kill blackberry bushes? There used to be a whole bush next to the wall I cut them down to keep it away. Maybe if I add 2-4 layers of cardboard and then the wood branches to form a hill..
>>
Where do you guys get your seed potatoes? Any recommended varieties? Also looking for suggestions on bean/pea varieties. Zone 6b if that matters
>>
I like Beijing cabbage, I have grown it several times, but it always got decimated by caterpillars. This year, I will try to grow it in spring, anyone got any experience?
>>
>>2697107
that's why we're all here anon
i went to a master gardener event and it's just retired women
>>
>>2698539
i downloaded an app called photone and helped me negotiate the height of my grow lights
but on android it shows you all the different lights' different measurements (cfl, LED full spectrum, etc) while iphone is fucking gay and makes you pay for it
no idea why
>>
>>2700100
cabbage is my most-pested crop
BT will supposedly kill caterpillars but i haven't tried it. will try it this year
>>
>dollar tree selling gardening supplies
>get the heaviest bag of potting soil I find
>its mostly rocks
go figures. they got 25¢ seed packets though; it ain't all bad.
also picked up some 10in. pots there (they feel cheap, but the garden center prices are off the chain.) my pepper plants have been root bound for months, repotted them and some other stuff; I'm feeling optimistic. If only by chinesium microplastic gravel mix, I swear we're gonna make it.
>>
File: 20240217_112035.jpg (772 KB, 2000x2000)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
Anyone ever seen anything like this?
There's something very wrong with this strawberry...
>>
>>2700380
Looks like a witches' broom as a result of a phytoplasma infection. There seems to be limited good photographic documentation of such, so maybe take more pictures.
There are methods to treat affected plants, but I've only started dipping into reading about that.
>>
>>2700383
I've seen pictures of that before and it did come to mind, but the weird thing is this started happening before the flower even opened all the way. Maybe that happens sometimes though, and people just notice the berry ones more often.
It's worth noting, I was gone for 2 weeks over Christmas and the plant dried up so much that I just cut it all away and let it come back from the root. The plant itself looks better than ever now, but maybe it's struggling to get re-established. It's got some other flowers/berries forming that look normal, but I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens with this weird one.
>>
>>2687596
How long did it take for that sunflower to produce seeds?
>>
>>2688519
How long did that take? 2-3 years?
>>
>>2688977
How much water do you give that thing?
>>
>>2687714
Which variety do you have?
>>
>>2692474
Garlic is hard to grow
>>
>>2694296
>>2694321
Garlic will be challenging you know
>>
>>2700416
>>2700418
>Garlic is hard to grow
How?
Stick it into the ground in autumn/spring and it'll grow all by itself, doesn't even have many pests and fertilizing is optional.
One of the easiest plants on my list.
>>
>>2696026
What soil and fertilizer did you use? Also did you get your seeds local or online?
>>
>>2696391
All I'll say is that /pol/ and the "elite" agree on a lot of points
>>
>>2696509
Hard truth, that's why the future will likely have less consumerism. If we had a population of say 1 billion, we could devote large swathes of land to organic and holistic gardening and use technology to do a lot of the hard labor.
>>
Good apps for identifying plants?
>>
>>2700435
I use plantnet, seems quite accurate with wild plants here
>>
Technically can't you just plant seeds whenever you want and they'll grow when they grow?
>>
>>2699061
People here around make (white) mulberry hedges cutting them twice a year to form a 1.5x0.75m rectangular cross-section.
20+ years later the hedge is more a mess of twigs right after each cut, and regrows hastily into an monstrously sized green wall. I doubt you can kill a mulberry with excessive pruning. But when you do that, it's unlikely get any fruits.

Do you know that there are dwarf mulberry varieties?
>>
sent my chestnuts and acorns into cold strat.
but some of the white oak acrons already sprouted radicles. my room is really dry over the winter, and i fear i may have dessicated them. some of the radicles are black.
>>
My lucky bamboo has her leaf turning yellow. What can I do to reverse this or mitigate the damage?
>>
File: IMG_20240217_212008.jpg (1.65 MB, 4160x3120)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>2700549
Pic rel
>>
>>2700380
It’s 2024, shitlord!
If your strawberry wants to be a clover, it’s xeir fucking right to be one, you incel bigot. There’s nothing wrong with it at all, but a lot with you!
>>
>>2700595
Take your tranny obsession back to /pol/ retard
>>
>>2700120
I remeber cutting a Beijing cabbage only to find out it is full of caterpillar shit. With Bacillus thuringiensis, it will probably be full of caterpillar shit and dead catterpillars. All the cabbage pests (butterflies, flea beetles, whiteflies) are the most active in Summer and Autumn, so by growing in Spring I should be able to avoid them. What I'm not sure about is how will the plants do during the lengthening days and rising temperatures, because I was always taught Beijing cabbage is supposed to grow in the opposite conditions.
>>
So all heirloom means in the context of seeds is that the variety is more than 20 years old and is no longer subject to patent protection.
>>
File: 18022024.png (2.24 MB, 1411x1008)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB PNG
>>2698552
I'm this guy

So here's my update: bought the flowers to attract bees and any other pollinators. Right side of the pic is a sprout of the collard greens I planted on the 4th. I'm surprised that with only 3-4 hours of sun per day, it only took 11 days to germinate--these sprouts are 3 days old and there are a total of 13 sprouts.
Carrot bed hasn't sprouted yet. Unfortunately, that bed gets almost no direct sunlight at all. Will probably buy a cheap ass mirror to put outside.

Saw two bees for the first time today. I have never seen them here, they were mainly attracted to the bougainvillea. Apparently, the pink is just leaves while the actual flowers are small white ones that have just begun to appear.

I planted 20 dragon's breath pepper seeds in small planters. I have been moving these around, so they get about 9 hours of sunlight a day. Expecting to see the first sprouts in a week from now.
>>
>>2700549
Depends on what's causing it. Are you using distilled water or could it be shit local water supply? Are you changing water frequently? Is the stem set correctly above the water line or is it also rotting at the base? How much sun is it getting and how long is it in direct sun?
Either way trim the yellow, the dead part's not gonna come back.
>>
>>2700607
i always had trouble with chinese cabbage, normal acre and savoy had some holes but my chinese cabbage was always decimated immediately
then i saw a charles dowding video last month where he said he always has trouble with chinese cabbage too
i'm not gonna fucking bother anymore if he can't even get it right
>>
>>2700964
Set correctly above line?
>>
>>2687779
Jigsaw peppers
>>
>>2701004
Have tried intercropping or trap cropping?
>>
>>2700435
Google lens is good at identifying most things including plants. You'll have to sell your digital soul to google though.
>>
>>2701448
Thanks but a bit too late, I just started my pepper seeds yesterday.
>>
>>2701504
Good luck

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.