[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: list.jpg (582 KB, 3024x4032)
582 KB
582 KB JPG
Hey /out/

Me and a buddy are going primitive camping for the first time in about a month. We live in Texas for context. I have done quite a lot of normal camping and hiking (20+ miles day hikes), but never “primitive” camping. We will have to pack in our stuff and walk it about 5-6 miles I believe.

We are planning on just eating M.R.E.’s so we don’t have to bring a camp stove.

Picrel is the list of things I am planing on bringing. Please tell me any advice on extra items i need or unnecessary things i can drop.

Also primitive camping general/ backwoods camping general
>>
you have no combination or cordage
>>
>>2713007
>combustion
>>
>>2713007
>>2713009
oh ya i was definitely meaning to bring both a zippo and normal cigarette lighter but forgot to write it down.

completely forgot about some sort of cordage/rope. i will throw some paracord in my bag unless you have a different recommendation.
>>
>>2713005
I assume from the quantities that you'll be out multiple days. You may want to add TP and a washrag unless you plan on sitting in your own filth the whole time.
>>
>>2713053
we will be out for 3 nights hopefully. forgot that i will be shitting in the woods and will pack accordingly
>>
>water
Are you going to carry 3 days of water with you ? or is there a water source available and you will bring a method to purify the water ?
>>
>>2713005
>hatchet
Add a folding saw. You could leave the hatchet at home, or bring both.

>all of those clothes
Kind of pointless unless there’s a place to bathe. Socks and draws are a good idea, but everything else is unnecessary

>headlamp
Get one and bring it.

>map
Really depends on where you’re going, but even on marked trails it’s nice to know where you are, and how far things might be.

>FAK
Just minimal stuff for comfort. Don’t be retarded. Peptobismal chewables are great. A way to treat blisters since you’re hiking in. Sunscreen maybe. Insect repellent. Toiletries of course (toilet paper, toothbrush, hand sanitizer maybe, floss)

>rain gear
A poncho is pretty good for that climate. Spring storms can be pretty rough

>chair
You could build one, bring one, or hang a hammock. No doubt you had folding bag chairs on you camping trips.
>>
>>2713005
What’s the difference between primitive camping and just camping?
>>
>>2713340
“Camping” is a catchall term that encompasses a lot of related but distinct activities. OP meant to say he usually goes car camping, ie camping within walking distance of one’s car. Primitive camping is camping in areas with no amenities; no water, bathrooms, picnic tables, fire rings, and so on.

You get to the area by means other than driving. If you drive to an area for primitive camping, that’s called “dispersed camping.” Overlanding is similar but more specific in that there are few or no designated roads.

If you hike every day while carrying everything from campsite to campsite, it’s called backpacking. Obviously there’s some gray area with all of this nomenclature. If you carry everything but stay two days, is that backpacking, primitive camping, both, or either one?
>>
>>2713336
>draws
Opinion discarded
>>
>>2713368
OP is in Texas, so yes. If he calls them “drawers” he should move back to California.
>>
>>2713364
Got it, thanks.
>>
>>2713005
Looks great, have fun! Try to keep your load out under 70lbs.
>>
>>2713364
>primitive camping
>dispersed camping
growing up it used to be only two categories: "camping" which is what you call "dispersed camping" and then there was "sleeping outside" which was everything else you mentioned
>>
Nice handwriting OP, I cannot read it but it is a pleasure to look at.
>>
>>2713005
Looks pretty good, bring a walking stick or trekking poles, a lighter, a gallon Ziploc bag for garbage, condoms, flask of whisky and a trowel.
I hope you have a lot of fun and be safe!
>>
File: IMG_20240404_171008.jpg (2.78 MB, 4608x3456)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.