[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lake.jpg (225 KB, 1024x732)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Good morning /out/, I am planning to go camping for a night next weekend in Switzerland near a lake and I was wondering if there are any restrictions on free camping, I am from northern Italy and sometimes it happened that we were caught by the forest rangers and had to leave.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm not planning to do a fire camp or anything special, just a quick day trip.
>>
I think it can vary from canton to canton so check up the rules for the specific area you are going to. I've heard Ticino is quite a strict area and does not allow wild camping, and this is actively enforced.
>>
>>2747588
That's exactly where I was headed, that's really annoying.

I will look for a free campsite nearby if this is my only option.
>>
File: 20230819_202631-min.jpg (1.86 MB, 4032x3024)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>2747582
>laws
lol
lmao even
>>
>>2748052
Terrone detected.
>>
>>2747608
I was planning a trip there too. I haven't quite got a handle on how seriously to take the whole camping thing though. Most alpine areas are chill to camp in if you follow the standard 'pitch late, leave early' rules. But thought it worth mentioning that there is some risk of being fined.
>>2748052
looks ace, where's that?
>>
>>2748092
>where's that?
it's a random place i've found on google maps. nothing special, and that's the beautiful thing.

It's in the uppermost part of Valle di Blenio btw (akshually, it's slightly beyond the continental watershed in Grigioni)

>>2748079
I'm not but id doesn't matter the slightest, i could as well be
>>
>>2748132
>id doesn't matter the slightest, i could as well be
What a lukewarm pansy opinion.
How do wild campers get caught in Switzerland anyway? Are there patrols or do they count passing punks like you from checkpoints?
>>
File: 20210719_120939 2780.jpg (2.59 MB, 2160x3840)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
>>2748158
no idea, try asking some normie. i suppose if it happens, it happens right next to major trails, roads, landmarks or tourist attractions.
but why would anyone go there anyway, the only true hiking is off-trail hiking
>>
>>2748132
That's actually neat, I'll look into the Grigioni area, is not that far after all from where I live.

>>2748092
Does anyone have direct experience with fines? Here in Italy I never had any problem, even at not-so-high camping, but I spoke with some guys that have been forced to leave.

A fine would be the worst, I'm not that well on money currently
>>
>>2748477
>direct experience with fines?
not me, but I think it's going potentially become more of an issue moving forwards. there's a general increase in people doing this sort of stuff and doing it without following a lot of the 'unwritten rules' that used to get followed. I think you'd be fine most places as long as you use your brain. For me the biggest thing is pitching later and leaving earlier. I reckon anyone who does get fined will have pitched way too early or slept in late.
>>
>>2748482
Gotcha. I'll try then, I do not plan of doin anything stupid and I want to come back early to avoid traffic.

I'll maybe post some photos.
>>
>>2748482
Is that your webm?
>>
>>2748487
yeee cowboy camping out in the great basin on the cdt
>>
File: Camping in Switzerland.jpg (1.38 MB, 1438x2662)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>2747582
>>2747608
It's technically illegal to camp in nature, but tolerated in most places and lots of people do it. Use common sense.
I have camped numerous times in the Ticino, including in a spot where people had set up a rudimentary fire pit with an oven grill next to the Ticino river.
I am contemplating giving you coordinates. Dunno if I really want to share that though.

>>2747588
Sounds like complete bullshit. Of all the places I've been Ticino is where I've seen it most. Not only have I camped by alpine lakes in the Ticino twice before, but I've also seen other campers in such places on multiple occasions. One such lake also has a fire pit.
I have camped in Canton Bern, Valais, Grisons (just outside the National Park), Vaud and Ticino.

>>2747608
>free campsite
Not sure this exists.

>>2748052
Baste
>>
>>2748520
That's great to hear, I have plan to join together the via idra with the alta via vallemaggia and was unsure how seriously to take the warnings about camping in Ticino! I'll revisit that plan now.
>>
>>2748520
Thank you for sharing, I'll go for it then and I really appreciate the thought but please do not share coordinates or similar informations.

I intentionally didn't specified the exact place I'm watching because this is the internet after all. I don't want to encounter a Pacciani copycat.
>>
>>2748535
Pacciani did nothing wrong
>>
>>2748535
>>2748521
Whenever anyone is hiking in Switzerland I always recommend they use the Swisstopo resources, which are very good. Especially if you are planning on camping in the wild, it can be useful to see if you are in a flood zone or if there are livestock guardian dogs around, etc.

https://map.geo.admin.ch/

https://map.geo.admin.ch/#/map?lang=en&center=2693302.53,1126363.39&z=3.847&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&topic=ech&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen@year=1864,f;ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,f;ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,f;ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,f;ch.astra.wanderland-sperrungen_umleitungen,f;ch.bafu.alpweiden-herdenschutzhunde&catalogNodes=ech,532,639,653
>>
>>2748594
"Se ni’ mondo esistesse un po’ di bene
e ognun si considerasse suo fratello,
ci sarebbe meno pensieri e meno pene
e il mondo ne sarebbe assai più bello. "

"Bravo bravo, noi condividiamo. Ma ora siamo davanti alla Corte d’Assise e lei è imputato di sedici omicidi."

>>2748840
That's great, thank you
>>
>>2748851
>considerasse
*honsiderasse
>>
File: Flooding alps Tessin.jpg (1.22 MB, 2048x1532)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Hey OP, hope you're still alive despite the storms and floods.
>>
>>2748840
>https://map.geo.admin.ch/#/map?lang=en&center=2693302.53,1126363.39&z=3.847&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&topic=ech&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen@year=1864,f;ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,f;ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,f;ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,f;ch.astra.wanderland-sperrungen_umleitungen,f;ch.bafu.alpweiden-herdenschutzhunde&catalogNodes=ech,532,639,653

Nice, caltopo has the swiss topo layer, beautiful maps, but those overlays are great
>>
>has to ask big daddy for permission to live...
Unironically neck urself cuck...
>>
>>2749736
I am, to be honest I wasn't sure until the very last and I was even quite close to the place when I decided to turn back.

I'll have better luck next time

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.