[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dd.png (932 KB, 931x613)
932 KB
932 KB PNG
>>
Korea is an underrated /out/ country. It's mountainous so there are tons of great places to hike, backpack, climb, boulder, and mountain bike. It has a long distance bike trail that you can ride the length of the country. It's a peninsula so plenty of great spots to ocean kayak, inlet kayak, and fish. All while have great public transportation to travel to all these places. Also has a strong supporting culture for /out/ activities.
>>
>>2757332
It is absolutely gorgeous
The mountain-scape in Korea is like a wrinkled up blanket though... it goes from flat valley bottom to steap terrain in no time flat and it does this over and over and over... it's pretty brutal actually. Also--monsoon season is a thing.
>>
>>2757976
Moonsoon season isn't a huge deal. It rains for most of July but the days it doesn't are perfect. Cloudy, cool, and empty trails. The steapness keeps shorter trails interesting and challenging. Makes you appreciate the shape the grandmas and grandpas who hike them everyday are in.
>>
Been in Korea 9 years and I still love it.
>>
>>2757332
I read an article a few years ago that they built some trails and the country immediately turned into a bunch of gearfags. Not that lots of Americans aren’t gear fags, but the the article implied that Koreans were gearfags on steroids and would literally make fun of people on the trail who weren’t using popular name brand gear and shaming them
>>
File: IMG_2370.jpg (213 KB, 666x431)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>2757182
Which Korea are we talking about?
>>
>>2760272
I wouldn't say that's the case. It's mostly retirees on the trails who wear the same 3 outfits and don't care about brands. Most men use gear from their time in the military. Sure there's people who care about gear brands but they don't gossip about others on the trail.
>>
>>2760168
What part of Korea do you live in and where do you like to /out/. Another great part about Korea is it's location in Asia. You can quickly and cheaply fly to SEA or other parts of East Asia.
>>
>>2760123
I said it was a thing, I never said it was bad... you do have to be prepared for it.
>>
>>2760323
There is only one Korea, the other is the Republic of Samsung.
>>
>>2761376
My mistake. Where have you hiked in Korea?
>>
>>2761421
I don't remember how they spelled anything. Tokaree or something and Tong De Chong. something around 30 to 40 k south of the DMZ. Fantastic food, super nice people. Great Tea shitty beer. I mostly walked between temples on the hills when I wasn't working.
>>
It's just China
>>
South Korea is just one giant exurb of Seoul. All the 'nature' areas are glorified city parks. North Korea has a lot more nature going for it because they're too poor and undeveloped to build out. But good luck going on a nature hike in fat boy Kim's fealty, lol
>>
>>2757182
I'm in Korea for 6 weeks from September on
will be some time in Seoul and some time in Jeju but want to rent a car and see some rural stuff and get some day hikes in.

can you guys drop some pointers ?
would be much appreciated!
>>
>>2761443
One of my favorite things about hiking in Korea are the temples. It's pretty cool seeing those temples after a long hike.
>>
>>2762390
The central part of Korea has great nature. Plenty of space where sparingly few people live. Although North Korea would be a great /out/ place as well.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.