[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do retards build this abomination in your country as well?
Just spent two hours demolishing 6 of these at the local river
t. frenchfag
>>
>>2758289
I like making them. Damming things up is fun
>>
>>2758289
I've seen them on my local river here in New England. I always dismantle because I can't stand people tampering and doing selfish bullshit like this. Leave shit alone I says.
>>
>>2758289
>He doesn’t understand the enjoyment one feels from terraforming
You’re a nigger, aren’t you
>>
File: Clam-garden-in-B.C.-2.jpg (108 KB, 954x453)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2758289
clam gardens are an ancient tradition and the people who built them knew a hell of a lot more about how to live on/in the land than some retarded OP on /out/..
>>
>>2758321
>he doesn't understand that this "innocent" enjoyment destroys the natural beauty of rivers
Begone spiritual negro, go throw some plastic bottles in the sea or something
I'm better than you
>>
>>2758326
There are no native fresh water clams in France faggot
These dams are a nuisance to our local fauna and flora
>>
>>2758294
Beaver hands typed this post
>>
>>2758326
There's a couple old ruins of them in my area that are still visible at low tide after hundreds of years. Pretty cool seeing the footsteps of the ancestors
>>
>>2758289
Never seen these before but I will destroy them if I see them
>>
>>2758331
i find that hard to believe, unless your water is so polluted for centuries that youve killed off all the sea life (not surprised). french people are trash
>>
>>2758346
hell yeah bud, you got any petroglyhs there too? theres cup marks and figurative images in the boulders along the shoreline here that date to at least 500 bce
>>
>>2758351
>sea life
>fresh water river
???
>>
>>2758331
There's several species of freshwater mussels all over europe, including france. For example river mussels of the genus Unio. Most of them are threatened due to pollution and degradation of heir habitat.
A little rockdam like that is not bothering anything in the river. If it does anything at all, it makes a little pool of slower currents and deeper water that some species might aggregate in.
The only ones bothered by them are autists.
>>
>>2758388
>There's several species of freshwater mussels all over europe, including france
Huh, just looked and you're right
>A little rockdam like that is not bothering anything in the river
That's where you're wrong though, these rock dams stop fish from moving freely in our rivers, they elevate water temperature which fucks with the fish and makes algae proliferate like crazy. This is especially exacerbated since in the Mediterranean region I'm in, the water level gets very low during summer so the fish NEED any kind of unimpeded cool water they can get
>The only ones bothered by them are autists.
Yeah, so?
>>
>>2758390
>these rock dams stop fish from moving freely in our rivers
Yeah if they're 2 meters high

Fish know how to get over small shoals (which is what these are), they either jump or just wait for the next high water to get over it, which will most likely wash open the rock chain anyway
>>
I've actually just watched a show about Bri'ish peatlands where in order to restore them they now have to build dams all over the riverbeds they were encouraged to dig 50 years ago to turn them into pasture.
>>
>>2758390
>so the fish NEED any kind of unimpeded cool water they can get
Much of that water is going to be isolated by late summer and the fish will have already found their summer pools to hold until the rains pick up again. Little autism dams aren't gonna fuck things up that badly for them.
>>
>>2758289
>>2758296
>>2758294
>>2758321
>today I remind them
Hello modern humans living in land that has been continuously occupied by people for hundreds if not thousands of years.

All coastal streams on earth north of the equator used to have significantly higher populations of beaver--were talking around a billion globally.

Rivers without obstructions incise and flush water directly from the inland to the ocean--the damns (which used to be extremely common before man eradicated beavers for hats) slow the water; allow plants to process the water and create habitat. Slowing the water also allows it to percolate through the ground water which demonstrably benefits the aquifers and ground water flow.

Straight rivers with no obstructions are almost always human made abominations that dump poison untreated directly into the ocean from peoples yards and the roads.
>>
>>2758331
>Damns are bad
You're 100% wrong. The damns used to be the norm.
>hurr de durr my country never had beavers reee
>Fish LOVE straight rivers with no obstructions
>>
>>2758633
It has been repeatedly demonstrated that if you have a healthy system of wetlands associated with your water shed you can maintain more water year round and in many cases rivers can be restored to flowing year round or the flow season can be significantly extended.
>>
>it took OP 20 minutes to destroy a small line of rocks
>>
>>2758289
I make them. I also make stacks of rocks, build shelters, and cause small rockfall and avalanches. You should try it out, it’s pretty fun.
>>
>>2758669
beaver hands typed this up
>>
>>2758672
Can confirm actually. Family has some land with a creek that runs through it. 30 years ago some dipshit boomer relative shot all the beavers one summer cuz "hurrr dhurr they gonna flood everything if'n ya don't git rid of em, you can thank me later." Every single year after that the creek ran less and less until it would dry up entirely only a few months after spring thaw.

5 years ago some beavers moved back in. For the first time in about 20 years the creek ran all summer last year. There are also more deer, a herd of elk comes down now, and we're seeing small fish in the stream again, something I haven't seen since the 90's. Beavers are an incredibly valuable part of an eco system.

As an aside. Any time a boomer tells you something is a pest, just ask yourself "is it really, or is he just some fucktards who grew up eating lead paint who has a yard full of invasive species that only survive because he hoses everything in the vicinity with cancer chemicals twice a week?"
>>
>>2758959
Are boomers in the room with us right now?
>>
>t.no friends to build dams with in the summer
>>
There is a mountain stream I frequent. When I visit it I often spend idle time moving rocks from the pool we swim in to the dam that helps form the pool.
Moving rocks from the pool to the dam makes the pool deeper . We enjoy lazing in and around the mountain stream eating and drinking. We will bar B Q alongside it.
I cut the grass along the banks to make it nice and cozy as we can pull our pick up trucks right next to it.
Appalachia things
>>
>>2758977
You had me until your fat ass mentioned making better parking but removing the plants that help filter nutrients before they get to the water.
>>
>>2758959
>Noticer doing god's work
Thanks for brightening my day a little anon. I stopped listening to what boomers thought about nature decades ago--they just cut everything down; kill topsoil and apply industrial farming techniques to everything.

>>2758961
We get it, you live to harass white people and don't actually care at all about what the thread is about.

>>2758966
I'd build damns with you anon.
>>
>>2759086
Yeah man, when I was a kid I used to go swimming in the beaver ponds. Catch brookies and cut-throats there. The creek ran strong all year. It would drop down about half in the late summer but it never got so low that it would freeze all the way over in winter.

Uncle dipshit went out with his .22 one weekend in about 1994 or so and shot all the beavers and ripped their dams and lodges out with a backhoe.

Over the next few decades the creek has gradually reduced from an 8 foot wide stream with lots of pools and grottos full of fish and numerous wildlife to a little trickle only a few inches deep that dries up completely by august every year.

Now that the beavers are back it's still not quite back to how it used to be, but it's getting there. Another 5 years and they will have restored the stream to its former glory.

Uncle fucktard just devastated that ecosystem in a weekend by being left unsupervised with a rifle and a piece of heavy equipment. Fucked up part is, he never even had permission to do it. He just decided to rip the fuck out of our creek one day and didn't even bother to ask anybody. Moral of the story, boomers are an invasive species. Don't ever leave them unattended around weapons, chemicals, or heavy machinery.
>>
>>2758959
>>2759119
No one cares. Little rock chains that can be washed out by natural flooding don't really affect anything.
>>
>>2759119
Have a (you) good sir
>>2759142
Yes, we get it you are not white; log rainforest in south america and know absolutely zilch about how a watershed works.
You subhumans shit up everything you touch.
>>
>>2759151
This has nothing to do with logging the rain forest. Little rocks in the river don't matter and I'm going to keep doing it
>>
>>2759153
Yes, as I said, you don't know shit about watersheds at all. This is just you confirming that.

I expect nothing but repetition and stupidity from you--which is all you've posted so far.
>>
>>2759160
I know all about them
>>
this is like /out/s obsession with hating stacks of rocks. i get that both acts are done by normies to muh undisturbed natural environment, but none of this matters. that rock stack will get blown down and the shitty dam will get washed away and the environment will fine.
>>
>>2759234
It's something done by pretty young women. 3 things that /out/ despises.
>>
>>2758983
When you cut grass it does not lessen its ability to filter nutrients or water as it enters the soil. You do not damage the roots of grasses when you cut the top growth,
Do you not understand the concept of cutting grass? Farmers cut pasture grasses to maintain their fields. We are not even talking about a suburbanite maintaining a Bermuda grass lawn.
>>
>>2758630
Rock dams are also used in riparian areas in the SW US to restore riparian habitat. Man made and natural beaver dams in conjunction with rock/check dams, and planting more shade trees and bank plants have been proven to increase water flows and restore degraded habitat. They act to slow down the water, raise the water table, and increase local air and soil moisture. It has turned intermittent streams into perennial streams for the first time in 150 years since white settlement and cattle farming in areas. All you need to let fish pass is to leave an opening or two slightly below the pool level after construction, and even without those fish can still pass even beaver dams no problem.
>>
>>2758289
Arent' they for swimming in. And hot springs.
>>
>>2759252
>fat female hands typed this
>>2759256
Most farmers in America are industrial farmers and their practices are absolute dogshit and antiquated.

Cutting grass is stupid--you want it to grow as big as it can so it's roots break up the soil and it's above ground parts convert as much minerals into biomass before it composts.

Only an idiot would cut grass because long term it is building soil for you much faster by growing a full season.
>>
>>2759281
>I don't think short term, I see things long term
I feel bad for your tortured soul in our myopic era.
Stay based anon, I'll build BDA's with you any time.
>>
>>2759281
also, yes, cutting grass absolutely inhibits it's root growth. The nutrients provided by photosynthesis bolster root growth throughout the whole growing cycle and when you remove the photosensitizing parts the entire plant basically goes into survival mode. The whole reason people cut their "lawns" is to delay the growth cycle of the above ground parts--it has nothing to do with plant health.

You're also talking about non native pasture animals--cow aren't native to north America. Farmers fucked entire biomes just to keep the cows alive where they were never meant to be.
>>
>>2759308
You make hay and silege to feed stock in lean months. Long grass is also a fire hazard.
>>
>>2759310
Why is there a jew in here screeching about farms?
>>
>>2759334
Yes, you don't know shit about land management and are raising non native species--thanks for verifying. You also don't know shit about how to balance live stock with your native plants. You're an industrial farmer and retarded.
>>2759335
Rabbi, ain't no one falling for the idea that you jews actually give a shit about nature go back to well poisoning on /pol/
>>
>>2759335
>Jews
>farmers
is this an alternate dimension or something? Jews don't farm they loan money to farmers and live parasitically of of mortgage payments. The absolutely don't give a shit about crop rotation they care about selling fertilizer to morons that monoculture like the retarded slaves they are.
>>
>>2759336
When did you last see a cow rabbi?
>>
>>2759367
>Subhuman begins the harassment cycle
indeed

>>2759356
you are here. I assume you're just going to keep spewing unrelated nonsense because that's what kind of subhuman you are.
>>
>>2759368
So you've no answer. I'm in rural NZ, there are many native species right here in the fenced creek block, tons actually. I'm betting there are more natives around me than you. Our neighbors have an old growth podocarp block right here and on the other side the dairy farmer has a fenced off wetland. We are fencing off ours at the moment too. All that said you still gotta make hay.

Keep seething city boy.
>>
>>2758294
>t. Beaveranon
>>
>>2758326
>HURRRRR YOU DUN GO OUTIDE

die
>>
>>2758351
People used to dump their piss and shit into the main river running through london
it became so bad that people couldnt go near the river
>>
>>2759368
>I didn't like what you said because it's true so my only option is to downplay it's relevance
LOL

Jews don't farm and you lack the intellectual capacity to make any coherent point.
>>
>>2758289
Damn this board retarded bruh
>>
yes i built one to have a nice spot for my daughter to bathe in the river
cope
>>
File: op.gif (911 KB, 150x148)
911 KB
911 KB GIF
>>
>>2758289
Bad for wildlife
>>
>>2761378
How so?
>>
>>2758331
I bet you think it's ok if beavers do it though, don't you? Or if a tree falls across the river it's ok? Unless it interrupts your kayaking experience, then it's a problem, right? Hypocrite.
>>
>>2761405
I like the cut of your jib.
beavers > people that want to live on rivers
>>
>>2758294
Based San Franciscan
>>
>>2758669
>>
>>2758289
clam gardens are based. theres a bunch of them up and down the coastline here. working with nature to get food effortlessly is what god intended
>>
>>2758831
>>2761739
Big Toilet™ and Industry Plant™ hands typed these.
>>
I'm not going to read the entire thread.
>>2758326
These are filled up by the tides, not from rivers, and I don't think it's a bad thing as long it's not on an industrial level.
>>2758669
>the damns slow the water; allow plants to process the water and create habitat
Yes when the dams are big enough to flood nearby plains.
>percolate through the ground water which demonstrably benefits the aquifers
A river is already connected to the aquifer, you don't need a little rock damn.
Damns block fish from moving up or down a river, dividing populations (=inbred), but beaver dams are made of wood, which are easily destroyed every few years by big floods. It isn't the case for rock dams.
Also, moving rocks in rivers causes harm to anything living under.
Basically, if you want to build dams, build them where the river is disconnect to the flood plain next to it, with wood and parallel to the flow of water.
>create habitat
I can also add, flooded habitats produces more biomass, and keeps the water clean and fresh.
t. also french
Keep doing the good work
>>
>>2762694
Spawning fish RELY on dams dude. Beaver damns are some of the best salmon and fish habitats on earth and beavers don't eat fish... so no, you're wrong, low head natural damns are 100% beneficial to fish.

Also, your understanding of an aquifer is very wrong. Even small damns that slow the moving water are beneficial to aquifer charging. Rivers without obstructions incise and lose more and more water than rivers with small damns and weirs.

Read the thread next time and stop spewing nonsense on watersheds because you clearly are lacking in that area of knowledge.
>>
File: Capture.png (352 KB, 522x256)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
>>2762699
Ok, send me a sketch of how an aquifer works then, or anything else, instead of calling me a retard.
And even if small man-made dams help fish, they damage invertebrates populations (fish food), and others, doing more harm than good.
And I agree, dams help fish, they need slow moving water, but that can be achieved by other means, like a reversed flow or oxbow lake (pic related is engineering for ecological compensation).
>>
>>2758289
Yeah kids do it here all the time.
No harm done. They can’t build where the current is faster and water deeper. No wildlife significantly affected. Every time it rains which is often they wash away.
Beaver dams have more effect.
But beavers are part of the eco system!
So are humans. Let the kids have fun.
>>
>>2762710
>Doesn't know how an aquifer works
>Is explaining entomology
JFC you don't even know how an ox bowe lake is created... Just no. Leave the dams alone they are a net benefit and FFC put some effort into learning what a fucking watershed is and how it impacts aquifers.
>>
>>2759153
>>2759142
kill yourself monkey
>>
I wish I had land to have water on
>>
>>2763250
I'm going to leave a new rock chain across the creek I hike at soon. Doesn't hurt anything and it makes you livid
>>
File: crossvane.jpg (70 KB, 750x500)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>2758289
If they're so bad then why are they built in stream restoration projects, retard.
>>
>>2758289
Try this in the USA and the US national park service rangers will fucking shoot you
>>
>>2758289
I used to love damming up little creeks as a kid, none more than a few feet across though and I'm sure they washed out the next time it rained if not later that day. I mostly used sticks and mud and leaves, no rocks.
>>
File: dredge_on_water_c.jpg (65 KB, 400x278)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>2758289
i do this before i dredge the river, perfect quick little pond for the floats so i dont have to keep dragging the setup over rocks.
>>
>>2758331
you don't know shit, you just want to larp as captain planet for your own satisfaction.
>>
>>2763328
>Being a petty bitch
Yeah I also enjoy acting like a liberal white woman, lmao, faggot
>>
>>2763752
mirror
>>
>>2758289
bro that looks so fun
>>
>>2758289
I did this as a kid.
fun times.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.