[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Pretty Perfect Peppers.jpg (3.65 MB, 3000x1687)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87 (embed) (embed)

New USDA zone map has been released: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png (embed) (embed)

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hügelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

previous >>2763405 (Dead)
(Dead)

"Pretty Perfect Peppers" edition
>>
Messed up the previous link.
previous: >>2768315
>>
>>2775489
There's also no /hgm/ in the title
>>
Anyone know if these are edible? The gourd not the kid
>>
File: snowpiercer_1.jpg (105 KB, 612x380)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>2775495
The kid is definitely edible. Babies taste best
>>
>>2775495
Unless it's some kind of squash, I'd eat the kid before I tried the gourd.
>>
File: 1718586773956357.jpg (3.97 MB, 4000x2250)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
It's time
>>
File: 1719371106352977.jpg (1.72 MB, 2250x4000)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>2775575
Almost 2 kg, the biggest I harvested, not bad for the first attempt
>>
File: 1706890465126430.jpg (2.88 MB, 2250x4000)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>2775577
Very tasty
"Rosario" F1
>>
>>2775575
Beautiful. I've got some watermelons growing too, however, all of the leaves are much smaller than that. I'm getting an absolute shitload of new leaves but everything maxes out at maybe 1/3rd of what it should be. Regardless, got 5 fruits growing right now, we'll see how it turns out.
>>
>>2775485
No title
(embed) (embed)
(Dead) (Dead)
Wrong previous link

I appreciate that you tried op, kek.
>>
>>2775688
I took over because the previous OP would let the thread die from being out of bumps and then not create a new one for a week+. We're in the growing season here, gotta make hay while the air is still warm!
>>
My average first frost date comes before the end of the month and my tomatoes are just barely starting to flower. I'm so fucked.
>>
>>2775485
Trying for pawpaws for the first time. I currently have some seeds stratifying in the fridge. Has anyone had success raising their own seedlings? Did you start them inside or outside? When do you transplant, after last frost?
>>
Do you guys brew tea out of woods' leaf mold? Can you inoculate your worm bin too with it?
>>
>>2775716
Quite so
What happened? Did you plant too late?
>>
>>2775697
"Letting the thread die" only counts on fast boards. After hitting bump limit the thread stays around for almost another week, it'd be pointless to instantly make a new one.
I don't mind that much, but please take like 15 seconds next time and pay some attention to what you are posting and to check titles etc.
We're awfully close to 400 and breaking the numbering system sucks for searchability in the archive.
>>
File: 1712732703690554.jpg (3.44 MB, 3000x1687)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
>>2775485
I know this place
>>
File: PXL_20240914_173701312.jpg (1.86 MB, 3072x4080)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
So I decided to leave the ants to drown for ~3 hours. About half the ants escape so I have to leave it outside. Then the other half drown and end up in the bowl. Quite a few dead ones left in the petals and only a few live. This at least made it easier to get rid of them
>>
>>2775826
No. A late frost in July killed all of my annuals. I bought some clearance rack tomatoes and peppers to see if I could get some kind of yield and all of the peppers and half the tomatoes were eaten by grasshoppers. I'm going to plant kale around them and bury them in straw each night starting soon. Hopefully that will insulate them enough that I can get a decent amount of fruit off them.
>>
>>2775945
>late frost in July
Where do you live to get frost as late as July?

You would really benefit from a greenhouse if you have frosts this late
>>
>>2775948
Zone 5 I don't want to be more specific than that. I move my plants inside every night for months before I transplant them. The frost came a couple weeks after I thought it would be safe to transplant them. Next year I might use water cloches.
>>
>>2776002
july frost, here last in mai, mid germany! july is full summer.
>>
>>2776034
The end of May is the average last frost here too. It was just a random cold snap. Next year I'll do things a little differently.
>>
>>2776074
I don't have any hope in climatic regularity anymore
>>
About to pull up all the stuff that isn't done yet
Season's ending, I prefer to amend the containers for next year than cope any more
>>
Which manure do (You) prefer?
>>
>>2775924
How did you remove the boomer carpet? (grass) is that landscaping fabric over the soil, or is the soil really just that wet and fine?
>>
>>2775819
Just put the leaf mold directly in your worm bin. There's not going to be very many nutrients in uncomposted leaves.
>>
>>2776218
That's part of what I'm going to do differently next year.
>>
>>2776251
NTA. Just smother it. You can use tarps or cardboard. The cardboard will break down over a few months and you can plant through it or in some soil on top of it. You can also invert the lawn. Use a shovel to cut up and turn over small sheets of lawn so that the grass is covered and the roots are exposed. I don't recommend tilling. It won't kill all the grass and it will bring weed seeds to the surface.
>>
>>2776233
Whatever is free
>>
>>2776257
I have options
I just want something clayy to fix my sandy ass soil, dunno which would be the best
>>2776255
Not sure what I'm gonna do myself, this weather fucked everything up
>>
>>2776256
>cardboard
god no
>>
>>2776306
Then use tarps or invert the lawn. I gave you a few options.
>>
>>2776303
I'd recommend horse manure. The grass is less digested so the organic matter lasts longer. Any manure will help condition your soil. You might want to mix in some crushed lump charcoal. It will help your soil hold nutrients.
>>
>Bush bean randomly decides to become a climbing one
Will the seeds from this plant also be climbing beans?
>>
>>2776324
Only one way to find out, Mendel
>>
File: 1726133728021256.jpg (4.27 MB, 4000x2250)
4.27 MB
4.27 MB JPG
>>2776251
It's landscaping fabric to suppress weeds and it's tilled before it was rolled there, I reclaimed this part of lawn just this may, this garden used to be significantly smaller, pic related.
I like using landscaping fabric so I don't need to weed but it's only possible when you are growing larger plants like peppers in this photo, something like radish needs to be sown far too densely for fabric to be viable

What I do when expanding my garden is:
>Remove topmost 5 cm of soil and throw it into the soil pile upside down to break down for when I need soil somewhere
>Till the remaining soil one spade deep and remove all roots and stones so rhizomes and trees won't fuck with my garden
>Level freshly tilled soil and it's ready for planting, you should plant or cover it asap to not give weeds any time to sprout
Optionally you can till in aged manure or fertilizer by throwing it on top after removing grass and tiling it in in the next step

Don't just cover it with cardboard, rhizomes and more stubborn weeds will easily survive this and bounce right back, you need to remove their roots and then weed anything that you missed plus you'll lose all that time you could be growing something there
>>
File: 1699416276299333.jpg (1.42 MB, 2250x4000)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
Update on wine, after fermentation stops yeast will start to die and fall to the bottom with debris that got through filter screen, it's that white layer on the bottom.
While wine already got much clearer it'll be a long time before it's completely clear.
>>
I have very limited space and a bunch of container-grown sweet potatoes in one area, the issue is the sweet potato plants are all trying to colonize each other and rooting in each others' pots. Which isn't really a problem in and of itself, except it'll be a giant tangled mess if I ever need to move the plants. Is there any good way I can keep these guys contained to their pots other than buying a dozen trellises?
>>
File: yellow.png (3.55 MB, 1427x1074)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB PNG
Tecoma stans, january 2022 - september 2024
>>
File: gumnuts.jpg (1.04 MB, 2009x1863)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
I collected gum nuts from almost every type of Eucalyptus on the property and had them drying in some paper in the sun for a week, hope I can get some trees out of these eventually.
>>
>>2776369
You should siphon that off every ouple weeks. If the dead yeast starts to decompose, it ruins the flavor.
>>
I want the world to burn.
>>
Just found out through a new neighbor that when my place was built they put down chemicals that were supposed to keep anything from growing for 20 years. I've lived here for a few years now, and every single year my landlord gets pissed at me for the lawn not growing at all, or growing in very sparsely, and I've spent hundreds of dollars on excessive watering, seeds, fertilizer, etc.

Kinda mad about it actually. Also makes a lot of sense why every flower I transplanted into the ground would die a few days later.
>>
>>2776673
>that when my place was built they put down chemicals that were supposed to keep anything from growing for 20 years
fucking hoa
>>
>>2776673
Fuck your landlord. Any idea what the chemical is?
>>
File: IMG_20240918_185351460.jpg (777 KB, 1800x2260)
777 KB
777 KB JPG
Fall garden update: golden beets doin bretty fuggin güd, frisee or endive, whatever you wanna call it not so much. For some reason I bought the shittiest seed starting soil in stock nearby and the seedlings are struggling (next pic)
>>
File: IMG_20240918_185459996~2.jpg (1.07 MB, 1800x2691)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
why is there mulch in seed starting mix? I somehow didn't feel it through the bag when I bought it. No wonder it was $2.50 a bag for 1 cu ft
>>
File: sdfsdfs.jpg (412 KB, 1222x1404)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
Taking pics in the black darkness is hard, this well-feed spider is huge. The green night crawl did not spring the trap.
>>
File: nutsack.jpg (144 KB, 501x755)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
This watermelon kind of looks like an old man's scrotum.
>>
File: IMG_1789.jpg (1.06 MB, 2048x1536)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Guerrilla pumpkin grower reporting.
I harvested several smaller pumpkins already and those plants had died. 2 pumpkins had been harvested young by unknown anthropoid.
pic is the smaller one about 4-5lbs maybe.
>>
File: IMG_1788.jpg (1.53 MB, 2048x1536)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>2776748
This is the other larger of the two still growing.
>>
File: IMG_1790.jpg (989 KB, 2048x1536)
989 KB
989 KB JPG
>>2776749
>>
>>2776748
>>2776749
>>2776750
dang, how do you keep pests away?
>>
File: 20240907_111402.jpg (3.28 MB, 4000x3000)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>2775485
Anyone into rabbit husbandry? I removed a botfly larvae recently. It made me recoil in disgust. Rabbits are tough as nails. I gotta guy with swollen testicles...idk if it's bacterial or something else. I cant rationalize insanely expensive vet appointments for replaceable rabbits.
>>
>>2776751
I didn't do anything.
Totals:6(8)
4 harvested by me,
1 had grubs
2 lost to humans(cut stems)
2 still growing
>>
>>2776748
Based
>>
I figured out how much garlic I'll be able to plant in my new bed so I set aside enough bulbs. I'll be able to plant 60 which is nearly triple that of my old bed. With that much I'll probably start giving garlic away to people I know. But the more garlic I have the more I seem to use.

This fall will be my 4th year planting garlic since I was given a single bulb to start. I think I harvested 11 the first 2 years, 22 this year with 1 dud. It has to be one of the lowest effort crops to grow.
>>
>>2776935
Hope you're planting that nice soft white garlic if you're doing it yourself, I love it
>>
>>2776719
Nope, no clue. But it was probably done over 20 years ago, considering some 20 something delivered something to my place once and talked about how it was where he grew up. So maybe the tons of squash and tomatoes I've grown in ground aren't going to kill me since I already ate them all.
>>
>>2776599
I know, it barely finished fermentation at this point, I usually wait 2~3 weeks after it's done before I siphon it out.
>>
File: pain.jpg (815 KB, 4032x2268)
815 KB
815 KB JPG
After it quite abruptly out of nowhere got really cold a week ago in Germany, with a nighttime low of around 5 C (40F for Americans) my chili plants that looked super healthy before got some unhealthy/battered looking leaves.
Temps are back up now, it was just 2 nights, but do I just leave them with a healthy serving of "it is what it is" or is there something I can do to help the plant be happier? Do I cut the affected leaves? Or are they still a net nutrient benefit?
>>
>>2777150
5C in pots is rough because of the roots
I'd give them extra liquid vermicompost I guess, not much else you can do
>>
>>2777192
Sounds good, I'll do that.
I was caught off guard by the cold shock, had a lot going on and only noticed the next day when I woke up that it had gone down so hard the night before. At least it didn't die and some of the other chilis are a lot less affected.
Thanks anon.
>>
How can I ensure the kidney bean lives? It's going to a 7 gallon pot. Also is urine good for kale?
>>
>>2777253
beans generally grow like weeds. A 7 gallon pot should be more than enough for it to thrive. friends have grown 6ft tomato plants out of 5 gallon paint buckets, so don't worry.
>Also is urine good for kale?
lol idk man. when dogs piss on grass or plants they usually die. Seems like an elaborate troll to me. Doesn't mean I haven't seen people arguing otherwise though.
>>
>>2777253
>>2777266
Urine can be good for plants. Leafy greens like kale are heavy nitrogen feeders, so the urea should be beneficial. I think the high pH is what kills grass when dogs piss on it. Add a pH indicator like red cabbage juice and neutralize it with an acid like vinegar or dilute it with water until it's near 7 pH. Pic related. If it's pink or blue then it can damage the roots and kill the plant. You can also try soaking crushed lump charcoal in the urine for a week or two to make a slow release fertilizer that shouldn't affect the pH too much. I have never tried any of this with urine so if you do then post your results.
>>
>>2777266
How many kidney bean plants do you think should go in a 7 gallon? Couldn't be more than two.
>>
>>2777276
two is a safe bet.
>>
>>2777276
>>2777281
I should have elaborated, two is a safe bet but you need loose soil and "organic" fertilizer. I won't bore you on the details but basically you need chicken shit, worm shit or bone meal with containers because the more you water them, the more nutrients wash out.
>>
I have several rocks in my garden that were used as a rough lawn edging. I'm replacing them with some nice wooden edging, but is there anything I can do with the old rocks? They're about 6 to 10 inches by 4 inches. I was thinking of putting them all together and trying to grow lichens and moss on them in a shaded area?
>>
>>2777276
I've planted three longbeans in one 4ga one before and it worked pretty okay
Just don't overcrowd the leaves because they'll get eaten by powdery mildew in an instant
>>
>>2777319
Sounds nice
>>
File: mildew.jpg (866 KB, 2268x4032)
866 KB
866 KB JPG
Found what looks like powdery mildew on one of my sunflower/jerusalem artichokes.
Plants around it seem unaffected so far.
Cut it off and throw away to protect the plants around or leave and hope the plant handles it? It doesn't look like it's super sick other than the mildew.
>>
>>2777365
Hose them down with milk
>>
is "blast it with milk" the new "piss on your plants"
>>
>>2777365
cry
desu
i tried all the methods and it doesn't really work besides very heavy pruning to slow it down a bit
>>
>>2777369
I'm hearing cut it off and hope it didn't spread then kek.
I've already stopped growing sorrel because it usually is the first to get mildew and spread it, but my guess is the sudden cold temps recently stressed my plants. Here's to hoping it didn't spread yet.
>>
File: eden.jpg (1.25 MB, 2268x4032)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
For what it's worth, my little balcony has reached peak comfy levels.
>>
>>2777365
Just leave it be, It's mid september and they'll be dying down in a month anyways.
Mine have mildew since July and are still doing fine.

>>2777369
>>2777376
Don't prune, it does more damage than mildew itself and doesn't stop mildew anyways
>>
>>2777365
Dilute milk to 10% and spray it over the leaves
>>
File: 1000006480.jpg (64 KB, 720x540)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2775485
I'm thinking of getting into alternate meat preserving techniques.
>cold cuts, sausages, salami, cold smoking, salt cures, etc.
Planning to start with Lonzino
>get pork loin
>cover in salt
>leave in fridge for 2 weeks
>pull out and hang in basement for 2 months
>>
>>2777464
hey it's gonna taste better too
just don't poison yourself, gotta be the right athmosphere or whatever
>>
>>2777382
Might place them a bit away from the other plants just to make sure, but thanks for the info anon, I'll see what happens. Thanks!
>>
>>2777470
I appreciate it, bud. I've been researching all day and figured this might be one of the best places to collaborate. It'd be nice to have better meat at cheaper prices.
If you want it done right, do it yourself!
>>
>>2777365
>Plants around it seem unaffected so far.
Supposedly there's numerous different types of powdery mildew, that each focus on specific types of plants.
If that's the case, though, then I've no idea how I got one that fucks up my squashes every year when I'm nowhere near their native range.
>>
Closing the green house doors for the first time in months. Getting down to 1C tonight but then the forecast looks good for the next 2 weeks. Need to protect my 10 foot tall cherry tomato tree which is still cranking out fruit.
>>
It's over
>>
It only just started
>>
Next year will be the year for sure for sure
>>
>grow brassicas
>devoured by caterpillars
>grow squash
>Oops! All Powdery Mildew!
Do I have any other options for this course of the rotation besides just corn?
>>
>>2777920
I get no pests or disease on peppers here although I have to go through the hassle of starting them in february and keeping them somewhere warm and bright until may
>>
>>2777920
Milk diluted to 10% treats powdery mildew. You should try to keep a few wasp nests around to solve your caterpillar problem. It's very satisfying to watch the wasps hover around your plants and then fly away with the caterpillars that have been eating them. Corn is a very heavy nitrogen feeder so make sure you're prepared with 200 lbs of nitrogen per acre. That's roughly 0.074 ounces of nitrogen per square foot.
>>
>>2777917
I say this every year.
>>
>>2777920
>>2777921
Same but mine were bad
No disease though
>>2777922
Is there anything to the milk thing besides folk wisdom? I tried it, did nothing. Same with soap and oil and shit.
>>
>>2777927 me
Ok, there is something to it apparently
>In 2009 the treatments were changed to evaluate the effect of milk applied alone, and the compost teas were evaluated without the additional milk application. In both locations the compost teas provided no control of powdery mildew when compared to the untreated control plots. The milk treatment provided significantly less disease than the untreated control, and the chemical treatment had equal or significantly less disease than the milk. In greenhouse trials the milk treatment was as effective as the chemical control, and the enhancer products, liquid seaweed and humic acid, were as effective as the compost teas at suppressing powdery mildew with all treatments reducing disease when compared with the untreated control.
>>
>>2777929 me again
Although they tested a 40% milk 60% water solution so do that I guess
>>
File: 1713781615678021.jpg (3.54 MB, 4000x2250)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB JPG
Raspberry still doing well, ate a few handfuls today
>>
File: 1703924508877650.jpg (4.4 MB, 2250x4000)
4.4 MB
4.4 MB JPG
Fig is also looking nice despite recent cold nights
>>
File: 3242344.jpg (419 KB, 966x640)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
What's happening to my cantaloupe?

First time growing anything in the area, just used the soil below. They seemed to do fine until fruiting.

It's been unseasonably hot in Georgia but I've been watering every couple days. Great drainage. Did I muck them up by adding coffee grounds?
>>
>>2777974
Coffee grounds are acidic af raw so probably
But lying like that could just be any kind of rot
>>
>>2777927
>>2777929
>>2777930
The residue milk leaves behind will also kill sucking insects like aphids. I've heard that fermented milk works better, but I've never tried it.
>>
File: loupe.jpg (763 KB, 900x1049)
763 KB
763 KB JPG
>>2768418
the loupe was split after getting four inches of rain two days ago so i pulled her in. the armor worked really well, zero pest damage on this one. check em weight digits.
>>
Is the kidney bean ready to transplant? How about the beet?
>>
>>2776233
I can never find cow manure. Most online retailers won't sell to America. Strange.
>>
>>2778226
I dunno, what's your temps? Only reason to make seedlings out of legumes instead of planting directly is if it's too cold. Also those beets look DOA leggy.
>>2778227
No one around you? Even in my hyperindustrial region there are people giving it away.
>>
>>2778237
Why would they be giving away manure? Why would they bother picking it up?
>>
>>2778239
I dunno, maybe they don't need it nor have a garden. Easier to post it and hope people pick it up, and they will if it's free.
But there are a few offers around me.
>>
File: 9-24-24.jpg (4.39 MB, 2216x2992)
4.39 MB
4.39 MB JPG
What's up guys. I just got done with a work contract that had me gone 6 days a week, so the garden is looking wild. Here in zone 9b, the only thing you can grow in the summer is okra, which is why I have the wild patch on the side of my house. I started some brassicas a few weeks ago but they got leggy. The ones that survived transplanting are looking pretty decent. I started some more a few days ago, and my girlfriend started some flowers. I'll start the faster growing greens in a few weeks when average daily temp gets down to 85

Not pictured, my backyard orchard with all sorts of tropicals

>>2775924
Very beautiful, I'm so nostalgic for your climate, these pics make me so jealous

>>2776256
>>2776251
I've been removing my lawn piece by piece with cardboard, and the city has a free mulch program, so I dump like 6 inches on top of that. Really helps with fertility, my area is pretty nutrient bare

>>2776369
How long do you usually wait to bottle? I'm so impatient, I usually never bottle and just wait for the sweetness to go away. I always feel a little psychedelic with unfinished wine, I might be giving myself autobrewery syndrome
>>
>>2778239
Because barns and stables get filled with shit and need to be cleaned.
>>
>>2778243
>>2778240
Interesting. Sorry for the stupid question, we don't really have stable kept cows around me
>>
>>2778244
Are you somewhere really hot or at the nomadic steppe?
>>
>>2778237
I am container gardening. Zone 9, Arizona
>>
>>2778247
Yeah, this is me >>2778241
It doesn't snow so a lot of people just have a cow in their yard if they live outside of town
>>
>>2778248
I'd personally wait till the roots fill the pots fully if it's hot enough to plant out already
>>2778253
Coolio
>>
File: fucking pests.jpg (923 KB, 1134x1512)
923 KB
923 KB JPG
It seems I need to setup a game cam.
>>
File: sweetpotatoes1.png (321 KB, 382x595)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
How the hell do I get my sweet potatoes to grow like this? I'm salty as fuck.
>>
File: sweetpotatoes2.png (149 KB, 218x372)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>
>>2778358
Anybody here bokashi?
>>
>>2778362
>bokashi
What does this mean?
>>
>>2778407
Bokashi is a form of anaerobic lactic acid bacteria fermentation. It's used instead of composting or as one step in a composting process.

>>2778362
I never got around to buying the bran, but I was going to use it as a first step for processing cat litter. Do you biochar?
>>
File: grassover.jpg (1.57 MB, 3789x1369)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>2775945
>were eaten by grasshoppers

have you tried decapitating them with nichirin shears ?
>>
>>2777365
accelerate
prune vigorously, add genetically diverse sunchokes, let them reseed
breed a new landrace
fight with the mildew to the death
>>
>>2777496
Frost is pretty rare in my climate (central North American corn country) until the last week of October, but almost everything edible loses considerable growing thrust by now due to the lower length and intensity of daylight, pretty much regardless of conditions in other respects. Some tropicals like mandevilla and impatiens, that hate dry heat or temperatures anywhere above 30C noticeably improve, but so also does just about any dianthus, at the same time that volunteer violas come back as if from the grave of August's desert heat. Recently I've collected hundreds of seed-heads from about a dozen petunias I especially like, both heirloom packet variety and some only available as commercially grown plants, that I've grown right next to eachother in short range of pollinators, just to see what the results are next year.
>>
>>2775495
To be honest, it probably depends on the stage of growth. (not the kid's) Even zucchini becomes more of an inedible gourd than a table item if it gets above a certain size and consistency. It also happens that the kind of pumpkins grown for pie are rather smol, and a lot less watery than those grown for Halloween lanterns. Not that I'd eat either in the form of squash.
>>
>>2778508
There's way too many for that. I got some chickens to help with the plague.
>>
File: 1697550638010900.jpg (2.51 MB, 4000x2250)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
Wine update, today we are siphoning liquid out to get rid of dead yeast.
As usual starts with cleaning and disinfecting new jar.
Also gonna siphon one bottle for taste testing.
>>
File: 1716637368062776.jpg (1.11 MB, 2250x4000)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>2778691
Height difference is necessary for siphoning, doesn't need to be a lot, half a meter is usually enough
>>
I just learnt that modern San Marzanos aren't even real San Marzanos but post-wipeout replacement hybrids. Good I didn't get those seeds.
>>
File: 1715879023340949.jpg (1.2 MB, 2250x4000)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2778692
Simple food grade PVC tube is enough, one end goes into wine the other needs to be primed, you can simply draw air in with your mouth but if you are afraid of contamination (shouldn't happen with so much alcohol) you can get a pipe with a hand pump.
Some sediment will get into your tube, it's basically inevitable if you want to get all the liquid out so using some sort of filter is a good idea.
You might need to tilt the jar to get everything out.
You can do it on your own if you have something to hold the other end of the tube for you but if you can get help it's much easier done with someone's help.
>>
File: 1703862037238062.jpg (3.16 MB, 4000x2250)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>2778696
Dead yeast and fruit part remains.
While it's possible to get all the liquid out it's usually not worth the hassle, just get rid of this.

With wine siphoned and yeast removed now I'll leave it for at least a month, it'll slowly clear over time.

>>2778241
>How long do you usually wait to bottle?
Usually about half a year but I siphon some of over time for tasting and to restock my bottled supply and to make champagne because it's much easier if I don't need to add any new yeast because there is still some live yeast left.
>>
>>2775490
They don't want thread like this so they shadow ban it kinda.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.