[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hello people

Ive been shooting 35mm point and shoots for 4 years now. For the past 2 ive been shooting with a Yashica T4.

My problem is that all too often the focus is out, and as its auto focus only, theres not much I can do about this.

Ive considered that the camera may be faulty but im not sure. Do you think its faulty or its just typical of a point and shoot camera?

Also if you have any good recommendations for a camera thats like a point and shoot but with a little more focus control.

Cheers guys
>>
>>3322566
>a point and shoot but with a little more focus control.
Olympus XA2 has a zone focusing system and is well regarded. Can be found for less than $40 on ebay (prices are kinda high nowadays).
>>
bump
>>
>>3322570
Thank you mate
>>
I've used a lot of 35mm point and shoot cameras...usually multiple copies. The T4 had the least reliable AF by a decent margin. It was also pretty damn slow to focus.

XA2 is a good option with more control. It won't be nearly as sharp as your T4 though.

If I were you, I'd suck it up and get something slightly bigger like an Olympus 35RC.
>>
>>3322605
>It won't be nearly as sharp as your T4 though.
If OP's camera fails to focus properly, a XA2 would be an upgrade regardless, wouldn't it?
>>
>>3322609
XA2 doesn't have any autofocus, you choose between three focus lengths (close, medium, far) although the close length never seems to work for me. It's more of a street photography camera since you can keep it on the middle distance and use it for snapshits.
>>
>>3322605
I think i may get a AX2 to try out. With the T4 ive often times shot an entire roll without one image being at optimal focus
>>
File: AAA016A.jpg (1.3 MB, 1969x1111)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>3322611
Shot taken with my XA2 with HP5+ pushed one stop. Medium distance.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePakon, Inc
Camera ModelF135_PLUS
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2018:05:24 15:08:26
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>3322611
>XA2 doesn't have any autofocus, you choose between three focus lengths (close, medium, far)
I know, that's why I suggested it, since it complies with OP's request for a little more control over focusing compared to a bad AF system; it's not manual focus, and it's not autofocus: it's a good middle ground that everybody seems to love to the point the price skyrocketed.
>>
File: Velvia100F_005.jpg (210 KB, 667x1000)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>3322609
I suppose. I found using the close focus a complete crapshoot and not worth using. The middle focus is good for close distances of ~1-3m. I kept mine nearly locked into the far distance setting. Found it got anything from 3m-infinity in focus most of the time using 400iso film.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:02:10 21:22:41
Exposure Time2.5 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Brightness-7.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCool White Fluorescent
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width667
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
bump for more camera recommendations pls
>>
>>3322826
Stop bumping and go to the /gear/ thread you nigger.
>>
>>3322827
I guess /fgt/ is more likely the place for him.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.