[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: vid gen chazelle.jpg (84 KB, 1489x747)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
It turns out it takes more than a good camera to make a film edition!
>STICKY - https://pastebin.com/vbJV0Wia
>Helpful guide and additional books - https://pastebin.com/kG0gRmTZ

Here we discuss techniques, gear and anything else related to capturing video footage. Please don't pretend to be an expert if you don't know what you're talking about. Kindly leave your ego at the door.
Posting short films/scripts or other work you've done is encouraged.
We tend to use and recommend DSLRs/mirrorless cameras because they provide phenomenal picture quality for their price, have large sensors (ie the same size used in high-end cinema cameras and higher) and have interchangeable lenses.
In contrast, consumer camcorders normally have much smaller sensors and a fixed lens.

>NO ONE CARES WHAT AN EXPERT YOU THINK YOU ARE. IF YOU’RE ASKING BASIC-AS-SHIT QUESTIONS, YOU CAN’T BE ALL THAT GREAT. SEE ABOVE

Previous thread >>3370385
Which filmmaker influences you the most?

FAQS
>what’s the best camera available on a “budget”?
The new blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k, by a considerable margin
>>what’s a good beginner video camera?
Buy a used canon 700d
>Can I use a zoom lens for video?
Yes
>Do I need cine lenses?
No
>Where can I find a good 4k lens?
Anywhere. Your stills have a much higher resolution than 4k. 4k lenses are a meme
>Do I need 4k?
No. It will make your footage look sharper if it’s in focus, and it gives you breathing room in post. But 1080p is still absolutely fine
>>
>>3375912
Hey I'm really glad for you! A lesson I learnt shortly after I got into my first festival through blind submission is that most film festivals are actually dogshit. But maybe you won't grow as cynical as me.
>>
lets make a /vid/ essential movies chart
>>
https://youtu.be/--VcKVVLdQA

who needs colour grading when you can get it right out of camera?
>>
File: vid.png (487 KB, 1405x877)
487 KB
487 KB PNG
>>3375926
>>3375949
>>3376057
Thank you very much friendos, this means a lot to me! Getting to post on /vid/ has been incredibly helpful on just about every level, it was great to find some solace in understanding I wasn't the only one feeling the same sort of constant struggle and self-doubt towards filmmaking. If anyone remembers from earlier this year, I'm the anon who made the OP collage in pic related and was autistically screeching about being scared to film a scene with a naked female lead.

>But maybe you won't grow as cynical as me
Hell, I'm only 21, so for now it just makes me really happy that something I worked on for a while is actually getting screened in a film festival even if it's just for one short night. Hopefully I'll get to a point in my life like yours where getting into festivals is just résumé padding at best, but for now, it's cool as hell.
>>
File: Patlabor 2 still.png (1.16 MB, 1920x1039)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>3376053
>Which filmmaker influences you the most?
I feel like choosing Kubrick or Tarkovsky is incredibly vulgar by this point, so instead I'll go with my third option and say that Mamoru Oshii has become a massive reference point for the sort of work I personally want to do. His themes have just the right amount of philosophical nuance and the pacing and editing is stellar.
>>
Dear anons, what do you thnk would be a good film exercise to do under an hour/two?
I'm teaching kids 10-13 for fun, but I can't come up with anything fast. We don't have camera for everyone, but they have phones.
>>
>>3376143
Are you in the fmg discord
>>
>>3376156
Damn, I had no idea there was a Discord. Also,

>/fmg/

Is that an abbreviation for filmmaking general? If so, where's that thread? I remember there was a /swfmg/ (screenwriting & filmmaking general) but it unfortunately didn't gain too much traction.
>>
>>3376159
Yeah filmmaking general
The threads are quite irregular

Join us: https://discord.gg/xzxzFD
>>
>>3376161
Sounds good, will do!
>>
where is depressed director
>>
>>3376178
More like, where isn't depressed director.
>>
File: ffake orson.png (520 KB, 750x400)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
Hey /p/.
Last year I gathered a bunch of links and books I had compiled over the years into a pastebin, which is the additional one that's now at the top of every thread.
But recently I figured that actually finding a lot of this stuff ought to be really hard and expensive and most struggling filmmakers out there can't afford that.
So I compiled as many PDFs of the books and links as I could find into a MEGA folder for easier access, which I can also edit in case I find more stuff worth putting there. I also linked in a full copy of Animator's Survival Kit and animation-related pdfs to anyone interested.

https://mega.nz/#F!wMoBgKgB!k0o6QBLJNzNKHpU3lEINAA

I hope you guys enjoy it.
>>
File: Number one butt.gif (1.99 MB, 383x302)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>3376287
Very based.
Thank you very much.
>>
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=80761

>Hello, we are pleased to announce the release of DaVinci Resolve 15.1.2. This is a no charge update for existing users and can be found on the BMD support web site with the no charge DaVinci Resolve.
>>
>>3376383
> new version of Resolve

Awesome anon.

I bought a dongle for about $300 and started using Resolve when Adobe started to charge a monthly fee to use Premier.

Resolve for a one time fee allows me to use a full version of Resolve in any machine I want, and gave me unlimited future updates w/o any additional fees.

I can’t figure out why anybody would stay with Adobe Premier.

I still use Photoshop because I can’t find any program that’s nearly as good as Photoshop.

Resolve gives Premier a run for its money. And now with the addition of Fusion are Fairlight into the program, I’m even moar happy with the choice that I made.
>>
My film's gonna be showing at a festival, and so I have the option to put it on Festivalscope Pro if I want to
Should I do that, or will it prevent me from showing it at other festivals because of the usual 'mustn't be available on streaming sites etc rule' that festivals have, or is festivalscope different because it's just available to professionals rather than the general public?
>>
BMPCC4K doesn't even look stable on a Ronin.

I've already got the Ursa Mini, going to get the GH5 for more fluid set-ups.
>>
>>3376486
I've just looked it up. I don't understand why anyone would put their films on there?
>>
>>3376287
Thanks anon, I haven't read some of these
>>
>>3376501
Every time I've seen shots of gimbal setups with the BMPCC4K you can see a lot of mounting plate modding if you zoom in. Lens weight also seems to matter a lot.
>>
File: Tront.png (1.17 MB, 1906x1080)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
This was filmed on a Black Magic Production Camera 4K, I love the amount of light in the image, seems like something an A7III or A7SII would be capable of right? I'm looking to do similar style of shooting myself and would love some educated guesses on what focal length the lens being used here is? It looks kind of wide to me but I'm no expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvAJhZVBTc

Anyone have any examples low light action shots like this?
>>
Should I buy an electronic zoom lens for my Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mk II? My zooms are kinda choppy with the photo lenses I have. I do want to use these on paid video shoots of wedding and the like. I'm still an amateur though.
>>
Hey guys and girls, I want a good camera on a budget but I don't want something that has 'blackmagic' in it's name, what do you suggest?
>>
>>3376633
gh4
>>
>>3376633
a noose
>>
>>3376633
povertyfags pls go
>>
File: 1535978845201.jpg (271 KB, 640x889)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
Finally got myself an Extreme Pro 64GB card, am I on the road to be a depressed filmmaker?
>>
>>3376633
Panasonic g7 maybe.
>>
>>3376643
i guess, if you're shooting on something that doesn't make very big files
>>
>>3376633
Go for these, >>3376650 >>3376634, or for more Lumix, also consider the G80 / G85 which is my personal primary and is also really good. Blackmagic is definitely better for cinematic video but, if you're more into bogstandard stills with video as an option, I can understand your aversion to having a camera which is essentially made specifically for autistic kino makers.

>>3376642
>povertyfag
You realize the Blackmagic is appealing because it's comparatively affordable to almost every other notable video-capable camera, right? It costs almost half the price of the GH5.
>>
>>3376507
greater exposure to professionals from distribution etc
>>
>>3376656
> Blackmagic

It has great iq as long as you are willing to work with the footage you took with it in post.
>>
>>3376633
What’s wrong with Blackmagic? Are you a Panasonic shill? Or a troll?
>>
>>3376486
Bumping this question for interest. I currently use FilmFreeway and would like to try out other platforms.
>>
I ordered a

Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 M42 lens

and a

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f/2.8 M42 lens

Plus an adapter to use the M42 lenses with my video camera.

I already own a Olympus F. Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 lens and adapter for my video camera.

Are they any other inexpensive 50mm or close to 50mm primes I can add to my collection of vintage nifty-fifties.

How good are these lenses? It it worth having many different lenses of similar focal lengths so I can play around with different types of bokeh.

Thanks anons for suggesting what other glass I should add to my super autistic collection of vintage near 50mm glass.
>>
How good is the Lomography 58mm Petzval Bokeh Control Lens.

I want to video some scenes of someone tripping face, would this be a good lens to do it. I’d change the bokeh as the trip increases, or is their a way to apply this effect in post (better yet by using fractal like bokeh rather than just swirly bokeh) w/o needing to invest in a lens like this.

How is the iq of this lens, and is it worth adding it to my kit. Asking because this is a substantial investment and not just some sub-$100 eBay/Russia special.
>>
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Are-the-9th-Gen-Intel-Core-Processors-good-for-video-editing-1256/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-Core-i7-9700K-i9-9900K-Performance-1255/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2018-Core-i7-9700K-i9-9900K-Performance-1254/
>>
>>3376830
Festivalacope is not a submission platform
>>
>>3377103

> festivalscope is not a submission platform

What is it then? A platform to store videos like a Dropbox for pros.
>>
>>3377110
no
It's a platform for people to watch films that are being shown at festivals around the world
there's a section for films that anyone can watch (usually for a fee), and then a section that's reserved for film professionals (directors, producers, distributors, critics etc.) - this section is only for them to watch the latest festival films.
You can't just put your film on there, you have to get invited by them if you want to have your film there, if it is screening at one of the festivals that they work with.
>>
Oh shit did anyone else just get the email?
Withoutabox just sent me an emailing saying that the service is shutting down in September/October next year
>>
>>3377141
Good riddance
>>
Is the latest DaVinci Resolve working on Windows 7? Spits up an error for me before doing anything. Unless they really dropped support for any of the previous versions of Windows, I'm going to have to chase the dll causing issues.
>>
>>3376149
>Mamoru Oshii
>choosing the people who were the best at something is vulgar
>let me choose an idiot that made anime and the worst live action movie of all time

good luck bro
>>
>>3377263

Yep. The anon realizes his autistic ass can never be as good as the masters so he chooses another autist as the person he’ll try to emulate.

Expect him to make some shitty Sonic or Pokémon or mlp remakes which he will insist are kino masterpieces.
>>
>>3377263
>>3377266
I never watched his live action films, neither do I care about non-feature anime. You don't have to be a weaboo to recognize there are interesting things going on both technically and thematically in films like Angel's Egg or Jin Roh, immediately rejecting them just because they're anime is hubris.
>>
What kind of gear does it take to produce footage like the one in 2:42-2:44?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPk5PpkjMg
>>
Post discord invite again pls
>>
>>3376149
>not picking Fellini or Kurosawa
>>
>>3376149
>>3377349
Ignore those two faggots, Oshii is the shit and I can totally understand why someone would see him as a good reference for filmmaking. imho, Angel's Egg relies way too much on predicating itself as a giant Tarkovsky circlejerk, but GitS, Patlabor 2 and Jin Roh are all valid kino material.
>>
File: 1476734622653.gif (1.79 MB, 384x216)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB GIF
>>3377412
>saying that Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Fellini or Kurosawa are your favorite directors

What are you, in your first year of film school or something? Do you really expect to hang out with the cool hip sophomore kids if your favorite directors are mainstream enough to the point of having Wikipedia pages?
>>
>>3376149
>choosing acclaimed masters of cinema as favorites is "vulgar"
>letting yourself be bullied by nonexistant peer pressure
>being this terrified of appearing "mainstream"
You are a colossal coward and I hope nobody will ever be unfortunate enough to having to work with you in the future
>>
>>3377763
The point is that Kubrick and Tarkovsky have a far greater influence in me, you dip. I just wanted to leave a third nod for a slightly less known director, no need to project that hard.
>>
>>3377427
These women probably have kids in high school by now.
>>
>>3377763
He’s just mad he’ll never be able to compete with the masters so he is setting the bar really low to boost his self-esteem with the crappy films he makes.
>>
File: 1482193342081.jpg (29 KB, 373x327)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3377266
>>3377774
To be honest, you don't sound much better than that.
>>
>>3376161
can I get that discord link again buddy
>>
File: image.jpg (787 KB, 768x768)
787 KB
787 KB JPG
>>3377787
And neither do you bro. We’re all on 4chan, so we’re all probably full of autism.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width768
Image Height768
>>
File: 1506611700361.jpg (5 KB, 221x250)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Sorry for the dummy question, but what's the difference between "Selected", "Semi-Finalist" and "Finalist" on FilmFreeway? Aren't the selected films the ones that are shown in the festival and therefore take part in the competition, e.g., they're finalists?
>>
>>3378551
In short: no.
Some festivals don't show the films they select at all, or even the semi-finalists, just the finalists.
Other festivals show them all but still split them into tiers for the sake of "prestige".
In other festivals, only finalists are selected. It completely depends on the festival and whatever arbitrary bullshit they feel like.
>>
File: 1523598923727.jpg (176 KB, 468x468)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
why are people so autistic about ISO?
>watch some zoomers "review" on latest kino cam
>starts comparing ISO
>selects 100 while talking at length about aperture or some other unrelated topic
>finally gets to 400 native
>"yeah really starting to see the noise pick up now"
>having to squint to even make out what the fuck is suppose to be in frame because everything is so poorly lit
>500
>"i mean if you had no other choice you could probably get away with 500"
>640
>"yep yep that 'moray' is really starting to take hold now"
>800
>"ahahah yikes! anyone using this setting should just fucking off themselves right here right now, i don't think ANYONE in the ENTIRE film industry is crazy enough to use ISO800 anyway "
>squinting really hard at the footage trying to find anything
>download the source video off vimeo
>still can't see any real shift in color or overall IQ
>start pulling up the shadows, can see a fairly benign grain between 0-10 IRE range
>start up my 5dii just to check my eyesight isn't fucked
>iso 400
>entire image looks like you're staring into a endless pot of insects
>800
>smack the side of the 5d in a hope the snow will go away
>it never does ._.
>>
>>3379006
> autistic about ISO

People for some reason I can’t understand don’t want to buy some lights to light up the darker scenes.
>>
>>3379019
They don't understand you're supposed to light 3 stops over and pull it back down in post to reduce noise. Dumb zoomers
>>
>>3379023
elaborate
>>
>>3379027
with the dynamic range of current cameras exposing a dark scene near the noise floor just because it looks right is a waste, as long as the lighting ratios are fitting you can pretty much expose below clipping and bring it the fuck down to get the same look without any noise
>>
>>3376917
I really want a helios it's a good lens man
>>
>>3379064
Get one. They cost under $100.
>>
>>3379030
I didn’t know you were supposed to overexposed by three stops. I just know it costs way less to light a scene using lights than it does to buy fast glass to record an unlighted scene.

Plus you get moar noise if you fail to light up your subject.
>>
>>3379103
you're not supposed to do shit, but it's very common to overexpose quite a lot with any flavor of log recording to avoid getting to close to the noise floor where you can. and yeah for the most part as you light a set overexposing means just rating the camera at a lower sensitivity and lighting for that instead of the native iso. so it doesn't need to be faster optics but just bringing up the lights keeping the ratios the same
>>
>>3379030
That's a clever tip, thanks.
I mean, from experience, I've started exposing my images more and bringing them down anyway but I never thought to overexpose by that much.
>>3379006
Vloggers and youtubers hate lights. I can kind of related: they're expensive, big and heavy. You have to understand that most people want a camera they can take out of the box and instantly have all the technical shit solved.
This is why they also make a big deal about the audio performance even though no one worth their shit uses the internal amp (unless they have no other choice).
But speaking of noise, I remember seeing a gh5 video a while ago at like iso 800 that genuinely had terrible noise everywhere. It stopped me from buying the camera. In general I notice with that camera particularly (but most dslrs to be honest) you can clearly see the noise if you watch the shadows. This might be a situation where it's your monitor that could be better.
On my laptop, everything looks perfect all the time. On my pc, youtube compression makes me want to cut myself half the time
>>
>>3379152
yeah, monitor black gamma is a bitch, you don't know what people will see on their screens, if they're reflective or matte or just plain crushing the blacks with all kinds of shitty gamma curves.
I set my monitors in a bt 1886 fashion with a little more lifted gamma than you'd usually do and just deal with seeing noise (or crazy blocking when watching youtube) in the shadows all the time, but that way I can at least try to control noise as good as I can in case anyone watches it on a screen that actually has a decent resolution in the blacks.
at the same time I think noise as long as it's not patterny or just ugly color noise has it's place in video and especially delivery to compressed formats around the web, makes for less macro blocking by forcing encoders to work harder and better dithered gradients counteract banding
>>
>>3379103
ETTR helps, but you want to know your camera, because different cameras have their own way of changing colors depending on exposure settings. It will make life easier when you have to match shots.
>>
File: pomproamft_1.jpg (15 KB, 450x450)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
TRIPODS for home studio/slider/youtube setup?

I just picked up pic related ( https://www.adorama.com/pomproamft.html ), ProAm PROAMFT for my ewetoob vids. Wanted something with plenty of weight capacity (to hold a 31" slider, benro S8, camera cage, monitor, etc), leg locks that aren't the twist kind, and maybe most importantly a geared center column with a lever.

I feel like my needs in this department are ultra-specific, but do any of you run a similar setup? What tripods do you use?
>>
>>3379590
drop the center column and get something 75 or 100mm bowl from manfrotto, vinten or sachtler if you care about stability and adjustability with enough load capacity to not only hold up the shit you want but also mount an actual fluid drag and adjustable counterweight video head.
>>
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/gh5_firmware.html

UPDATE NOW
>>
Does 4/3 vs full sensor matter that much? I really want 4k 60fps which pretty much limits me to the gh5s and bmpc4k (the one ill likely buy) and whatever else comes out right after knowing my luck. I just want to make amateur movies that still look professional
>>
>>3379928
what's a full sensor anyways
digital cine/video cameras have always had tonnes of different sensor sizes and only now that super35 is very common and full 35 starts to emerge doesn't mean other sensor sizes doesn't have their place, especially with versatile mounts that can use focal reducers like mft
>>
>>3379933
>>
How to find out what camera/lenses was used for certain music video scenes?
For this music video specifically the close ups, and band scenese.
>ゲスの極み乙女。 - 私以外私じゃないの
>>
>>3380087
>サカナクション / 多分、風。
Beach scenes
>>
>>3380087
>>3380091
Nothing unique happening here.
>>
D750 for filming? Pros/cons?
>>
>>3380107
+-okay bitrate
+-okay sharpness and dynamic range in the footage
+-can change the fucking aperture during live view which is a big deal for nikon
+dedicated video menu so switching back and forth in between stills and video with completely different settings and picture profiles is not as much of a clusterfuck in case that is relevant
+noise performance is decent
+50/60fps with no tradeoffs in bitrate or resolution
+4:2:2 hdmi out can be used to grab higher bitrate footage, even though it's 8 bit only
-15-20 minute recording time depending on the fps for no fucking reason
-no focus peaking, but at least there's zebra
>>
>>3380107

I have one and I will tell you from experience, the important issue you will have with this camera is hitting focus. There is no peaking and AF isn't really an option. The flip screen is the only way to focus if you don't have an external monitor, so you'll have to zoom in to set focus marks. If you are good with hyperfocal distance and infinity focus you can work around it, but the modern lenses don't have hard infinity stops. Also, VR doesn't help much for stabilization in video. I wouldn't buy this camera for video, I use mine for stills and it is really great at that. I use a dedicated video camera for video, not a hybrid. Nikon hates video shooters.
>>
File: 2018-10-25-magix.png (613 KB, 1379x895)
613 KB
613 KB PNG
Can someone tell me how different the products in Magix's range are, they have a ton of similar sounding video editors.

Right now Vegas Pro Edit 14, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15, Video Deluxe 2018, Video Pro X9 are on Steam sale (from ~$40-130) and I'm wondering which of them are good deals.
>>
>>3380196
buy it all goyim
>>
I'm so dumb. I bought a A7RIII instead of A7SII
>>
>>3380217
Is this a bad thing?
>>
>>3380219
It's cheaper and better in low light. You don't need the extra MP when you're just doing video
>>
>>3380115
Just okay is not a pro to be honesto
>>
>>3380115
I was a Nikon shooter. I own a Nikon f mount to mft speedbooster. I’m just waiting for my bmpcc 4k to come. I’ll start being a blackmagic video shooter, and a Nikon stills shooter.

I might also get a gh5 when I can afford to get one, after I test my bmpcc 4k and see if I really need another camera.
>>
>>3376161
got a new invite senpai?
>>
>>3380087
>>ゲスの極み乙女。 - 私以外私じゃないの
good taste
>>
>>3380196
don't buy any of the steam editions, but it outside of it
vegas pro or video pro are the way to go and I guess they'll be converging more and more till they're made into a single product as they aquired vegas only recently and video pro is their own program, but till then you need to decide which one you prefer
>>
>>3380283
same here with canon, dropped that shit for video completely since I went with bmd cameras and honestly having dedicated stills and video cameras is a good thing imo, even if it's for the most part only being able to walk around and take some documentary pictures on productions as my stills camera is just around my neck and not set up in a rig on a tripod
>>
>>3380433
Was it the record time limit that make you do the switch? It 20-29 minute record limit on DSLRs is fucking as annoying as fuck.

Or was it another reason like better iq or more to work with in post, two other really good reasons imho.

Or was it for yet another reason I as a noob failed to see.
>>
>>3380450
all of it
I do multicam for live music performances a lot and that's where the recording time limitations just fuck you over all the time, even with magic lantern you can't rely on it so you always have to babysit all the angles including the ones that would just be fixed and "unmanned" otherwhise.
dynamic range is not too much of a big deal with live music, but the way the colors handle especially with highly saturated, narrow wavelength and bright leds is, so being able to record flat as fuck and bringing the colors back in where you actually need them instead of the f.e. pure blue leds clipping single color channels all the time in a nasty way on dslrs is a huge benefit.
another big thing is focus assist functions like what bmd calls "colored lines", can't get that on canon or nikon without an external monitor.
and then just recording straight to prores is a big deal for me, not just because of the higher bitrates avialable but more due to the low complexity, you can cut 4k multicam easily previewing a lot of angles and the only limitation is your drive bandwidth as opposed to h264 based codecs that work just fine with 2-3 angles, but simultaneously decoding a 10 angle multicam just fucks up everything no matter how beefy your computer is. So you always have to factor in transcoding the whole thing to an intermediate codec before even getting started, which will take a while for 10x2 hours of concert footage.
>>
>>3380452
So magic lantern doesn’t guarantee unlimited recording time, or add focus assist functionality to a Canon. I thought it did, as long as the camera was able to run magic lantern.
>>
>>3380452
I fully understand the ProRes thing. I deliver stuff to a local news outlet and they want everything in ProRes.

Using the bmpcc 4k will save me from having to do hours of transcoding when I get home at night just so I can deliver my footage to my editor in a usable format.

It’s ability to record ProRes directly to an ssd drive means I can just give my editor the drive after the shoot and be done with things. That sure beats having to deliver footage the day after the shoot when I have a bad hangover.
>>
File: how.png (1.58 MB, 4016x2598)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
Hey, I don't know where else to ask, but I would have a question about Sony Vegas. I have a video #1 in which a person used green screen. They are dancing in front of the green screen and then they used video #2 to replace the green screen in the background of video #1, effectively creating video #3. I'm trying to reverse that. I found the footage of video #2 and so I'm now looking for a way to remove it from the video #1, so I basically only get the person dancing in front of the green screen. I guess you could say I'm trying to reverse green screen video #3, so I only keep the dancing person and not the rest by eliminating the matching footage of video #2. I attached an image somewhat showing what I mean, but I have two videos as opposed to two images.

I have Vegas Pro 13.0 and Photoshop CS6. I could do each frame but it's a 3min clip so I'm searching for a quicker way. How would I go about doing this?
>>
>>3380458
It kind of does, but as I said the record retriggering failed on me a couple of times so you simply can't rely on it, and the focus peaking inside magic lantern is actually pretty trashy, on some cameras like the 6d it's pretty usable but still shit compared to basically everything else on the market and especially on the smaller bodies the limited processing power makes the lines so damn laggy and low resolution it will actually prevent you from getting focus on anything moving
>>
>>3380461
in photoshop if its anything like gimp you can do it with a script, just figure out the method for frame 1 and apply to all frames
>>
>>3380461
google "difference keying" . i am sure vegas can do it.
>>
The dynamic range video from filmmakerIQ kinda blew my mind.
>>
https://youtu.be/3mUGuDXOTcA

canun fags on suicide watch
>>
>>3380432
What's wrong with the Steam editions?
>>
>>3380867
for the most part things like upgrade deals and extended upgrade grace periods magix offers directly via their mail spam but you can't use through steam
>>
fuck i have no idea what to video. i want to make movies but all of a sudden ive lost all my creative writing
>>
>>3380975
find some people to work with
>>
>>3380818
damn wass considering a pocket 4k but that a7iii looks pretty nice but the lack of 4k 60hz is really offputting to me. his test is pretty questionable since the lenses are different though
>>
what's the best camera to bash Black magic fags head in?
>>
>>3380986
alexa classic ev
>>
>>3380989
If you can afford an Alexa get one. Most people can only afford a Blackmagic, and it’s a good value for what you pay for it.

I don’t really know how they can sell it for such a low cost.
>>
>>3380991
by reducing ther products to the absolute minimum in terms of featureset and complexity. it has gotten a lot better with the most recent cameras, but basically everything before the ursa minis is barebones as fuck, and in some cases you still don't get some things you usually expect from cameras these days like being able to delete clips in camera because the file system access is very basic or built in noise reduction. the products are very unique and focused on a niche in that regard and therefore they can pull off a very competitive price.
also sensor roulette is still real, unfortunately
>>
>>3381003
with the 4k though whats it sacrificing?
>>
>>3381045
there's almost nothing wrong with the ump and the pocket 4k as I said, the recent stuff is super solid except for what I mentioned and the usual quality control, this time not only with the sensor -preorder people on the forums posting pictures of their p4ks with the buttons installed upside down and stuff, that's pretty hilarious but way better than the clusterfuck releases and doa devices we had with bmd before
>>
>>3381048
>this time not only with the sensor
theres sensor issues with it?
>>
>>3381049
pattern noise is not as bad and now we have the black shading calibration in the menu which fixes a lot of things, but seems like there's a couple of units that went right back for recalibration because of pattern noise.
we'll see how common it really is when a lot more units are shipped but other than that it's as with every bmd sensor so far you should inspect your unit very closely
>>
>>3381053
oh so just a qa thing? ive got mine on backorder due to arrive november
>>
>>3381066
it's always just a quality control thing with bmd, because that's where they cheap out compared to something like sony that would be skinned alive by broadcast stations that actually need to rely on their stuff on a totally different scale
>>
>>3381068
You say that, but it's well known that the a7sii and a6000 cameras had over-heating problems that was a luck of the draw depending on what model they sent you.
>>
>>3381070
I'm talking about the actual pro/cine products like the fs5, fs7. of course the p4k is much cheaper as these, but it actually has more in common with them and competes more with these than with the stills cameras
>>
>>3381071
Hobbyists and autists that want to play with a cinema camera will love Blackmagic. It’s priced even lower than a stills camera and delivers most of what a cinema camera delivers if you don’t mind the need to send it in to be serviced or repaired.

The people buying it are entry level shooters who want to get into filmmaking so they’ll put up with some issues that bigger production companies won’t put up with for an affordable camera that they can own rather than rent.
>>
>>3381101
absolutely, I don't know why that would leave any questions open as to why their products are so affordable
>>
>>3381104
I figured it was to get up and coming directors to use Blackmagic cameras so that they could sell more expensive products to those directors once they made it big.

Either that or get moar people to buy DaVinci Resolve or other products that they sell by making their cameras so accessible.

Or they just did it to piss Panasonic and Sony shills on 4chan off. :p
>>
>>3381101
What does it lack over a proper cinema camera aside from only having a 4/3 sensor (why blackmagic do this???)

>>3381110
It includes davinci with the camera
>>
>>3381115
-different monitoring outs for director/dit/whatever monitoring and redundancy or proxy recording
-a decent form factor to use standard accesories with, needs external cage to mount anything
-tc or any sync input
that's pracitally it, at the core it absolutely is a cinema camera

they use a smaller sensor because making/getting a bigger sensor with that specs is not possible at that price
>>
>>3381120
the a7iii isnt that much more expensive, i wonder if we'll see other budget options that are full frame and have the same features as the blackmagic any time soon
>>
>>3381124
the a7iii is a completely different type of camera for a completely different market and doesn't compare one bit. the cheapest full frame cine camera is the c700 and that still needs an external recorder to record raw. we are a good amount of that kind of tech entering the entry level market
>>
>>3381131
But remember that the 5diii records full frame raw internally and is like 6 years old
>>
>>3381193
doesn't make it a cinema camera
>>
>>3381193
can you actually get full sensor readout raw from it? I though you can get different 3.5ish k 1:1 readouts from a mft size area or you'd have to go full disgusting pixel binning
>>
>get invited to film festival to show film
>go there
>avoid all the industry events and dont see any films
>stay in the hotel the entire time

why do i sabotage myself like this
>>
>>3381640
You need to big up yourself, anon. You got the skillz, you got the stylez, and you DAMN sure got the smartz.

You need to get in there and put your thing down, just be yourself and make sure everyone knows it. You have what half of them dream about, and the other half are looking to hire at any price. Open the door to the rest of your life.
>>
>>3381640
If you work your ass off, you owe it to yourself to go have fun as well. Afterparties and events are where the good stories and booze are.
>>
>>3381640
Fake it until you make it, my dude.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_qAfdYppZE
Thoughts?
>>
>>3382147
Yup, that woman is definitely more smiley with CAM B.
>>
>>3382147
chopped and pitched vocal samples are annoying
>>
>>3382147
graded clips
graded to match the 4k (??? wut)
youtube C O M PRESS I O N
pretty shit
also 4k 24p lmao gottem
>>
>>3382147
is it just me or is the gh5s sharper? this is a pretty meh test though but worrying for the pcc4k
>>
>>3382198
sharpness isn't cinematic
>>
>>3382204
uhh really? im kinda tossing up between the two honestly i was really ready to get a pcc4k tomorrow actually (the preorder). its such a difficult choice.
>>
>>3382207
Yes, really. The BMPCC4K is much closer to the look of an Arri Alexa. The dynamic range is almost as large and the color science is more vibrant too.
The Panasonic one has a cheap video look to it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duYe8drOBwM
so whaat do you use to record to it?
>>
>>3382209
oh i guess. the color quality looked pretty much the same to me though. the gh5 looks like it changed the aspect ratio though
>>
>>3382212
That's why the camera is so cheap.
>>
>>3382212
recording video isn't cinematic.
>>
>>3382220
Because it cant even record in its own format? Surely this is user error or something? The samsung t5 seems to be a 550mbps ssdd

>>3382221
I guess but my only other option then is to write down what i see
>>
Is there a way to shoot 35mm slide film with a motion picture camera? I've only heard of Super 8 and 16mm slide stocks for motion picture.
>>
>>3382223
Uncompressed 4K 60fps is too much data for SATA SSDs, only a retarded pajeet like Sareesh would expect it to work. You can shoot 3:1 like normal people do.
>>
>>3382804
Im honestly suprised, 550mbps should be fine going off of reds website

Storage Rates

4096 x 2160
CinemaDNG RAW - 272 MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 129 MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 - 97 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 117.88 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 78.63 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 54.63 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 24.25 MB/s

3840 x 2160
CinemaDNG RAW - 255 MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 122 MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 - 92 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 110 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 73.6 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 51 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 22.4 MB/s

Thats for 30fps so doubling that you should be fine? Also 3:1 may be fine for some projects but that compression is going to screw over green screen work for example
>>
>>3382811
firstly your values are in Bytes, not bits. So, for 272MByte/s you need a drive which can write 2.1Gbit/s. This is barley doable for a SSD which has a realistically max. speed of 3.2Gbit/s. Thus, forget doubling the framerate, you cannot write 4.2Gbit/s with 3.2Gbit/s throughput.

secondly you can do some math: your 30fps 4K "RAW" has 272MByte/s. So one frame is 9MB. 9MB for a 4K raw file? Really? An uncompressed fullHD frame with 8bit has 6MB. 4K is 4x times bigger and raw should be at least 12bit. So an uncompressed 4K raw must have at least 32MByte.
You may compress lossless with a ration up to 2:1. Everything beyond is lossy or would take too much time to process. So you have to store at least 16MByte for a lossless compressed raw file in 4K. But your file ist 9MB. What's with that 7MB? Magic? Black-Magic? Huehue.
No. It is simple: They trick you. They sell you something they call """RAW""" while it is actually a lossy compressed format. And they do because they know semi-pros want to hear the buzzwords like "RAW" and "4K" and "60fps" but they also know that they have no (consumer-)storage available which could throuput enough data. What they sell you is not more than a high-rate motion JPEG sequence with a post-white-balance function. Every other feature of raw is ad absurdum because of the loss of information.
>>
>>3382849
Let’s face it prosumers don’t really need true raw. Unless you are doing heavy sfx work, or insanely intensive color correction, such as doing rotoscoping animation in post, you don’t really need what true raw offers you and can use what the current cameras give you w/o a problem.

Correct me if I’m wrong about this.
>>
>>3382983
No, that's entirely right. Redshark just published an article about how much worse the camera Lucas used to film episode 2 is than prosumer dslrs.
Raw video is, by and large, unnecessary for 90% of people.
>>
>>3382983
ofc you can see it like this. but you might miss some aspects: on the one hand I highly dislike when companies make false advertisement. that's not only a problem individually but affects the whole business. and on the other hand, it is still a question of quality. from a informational logic, it is questionable, if - for example - a 4k pseudo-raw actually provides more quality than a fullHD uncompressed mapped frame. I won't do the calculation here, but you can easily result that a 1080p 10bit bitmap contains more useful information than a 2160p 12bit pseudo-raw.
in the end the manufacturers, who provides a mass-market, sell you what they think you want to see. that is basically some weird self-contradicting combination of sharp but clean as well es high contrast but strongly mapped colors. it is given that you always pay a price with artificial reassembling of real information inputs, but as a professional - and also semi-professional - you should be able to know about which artefacts condition each other and to decide which artefacts you want to accept.
I can highly recommend you the apertus project. besides the open-source camera they produce and sell it is a great opportunity to get an insight of what you would get, when established camera manufacturer wouldn't sell you stuff just under the premise of selling as many items as possible to preferably any idiot they can find.
and, so that you don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying, you should have as much control over your camera as possible. there is no point in choosing which method of debayering your pre-processor does. you just get different results if the technican who develops the camera chooses the processing after considertions of marketing or actual technical rationality.
>>
>>3382849
I get thats MB, going off their values though doesnt that mean theyre straight up lying then? How can they market it ad raw if its not really raw?
>>
>>3382987
>The first camera, the Red One, gets a reputation among producers as being tricky and unreliable.
and they never changed
>>
>>3383084
raw is not a protected word. and no standard either. it's just a word. you literally can name anything raw and sell it.
furthermore, if you look closely you'll often find footnotes saying things like 'visually lossless' or the like. where 'visually' is just a euphomism for 'it's lossy but I bet you won't notice'.

but yes: they are lying. and well ... you know, omega3 will not make your skin look younger either.
>>
>>3382153
My pet peeve as well.
>>
>>3382849
When will you ever learn? The only important thing about a camera is whether or not the footage looks cinematic.
The BMPCC4K's footage looks very cinematic and your so called lossless RAW doesn't, so bugger off.
>>
>>3383112
Cinrmatic footage but its not really cinematic because its not real raw so you cant edit it properly but its "cinematic" so it doesnt matter
>>
>>3383112
right yes, no problem. go play with your toy. that's totaly fine for me. have fun.
>>
im gay btw
>>
>>3383202
Ah, I have a Sony camera too!
>>
>>3383135
what cinema camera would you recommend instead at a similar price point?
>>
>>3383299
Bolex.
>>
>>3383312
do you offer developing and scanning for free?
>>
>>3383317
Sure thing - you buy the film, I'll soup it and scan it.
>>
>>3383323
what do you scan with? can you give me the raw sensor data?
>>
>>3383328
I'll scan with whatever you want, Big Boy.
>>
>>3383013
Does apertus have a working non-beta camera system? This is something I might buy, but it doesn’t look like they have a system ready for real-world use yet?
>>
>>3382849
Eventually someone will create a drive or media solution that can record lossless 4k raw. Blackmagic’s new camera can deliver it. They just future proofed their camera to such an extreme level that the media needed to record the format is something that will be released in the future.

Or something that a hardware hacker can cobble together using an external enclosure to house.

Their usb-c port can handle speeds of up to 10 gbps which is more then enough speed to handle true 4k raw so all we’re doing now is waiting on media that can also handle true lossless raw
>>
>>3383341
on the ump you can just write alternating frames to each slot for 4.6k 60 fps lossless, I thought they'd eventually just do the same thing with the pocket using the cfast and usb at the same time
>>
>>3383350
Expect it or something similar in a future firmware update. That’s blackmagic’s mo
>>
File: essential vid movies.jpg (964 KB, 2000x2659)
964 KB
964 KB JPG
>>3376133
not him, but I created one since no one else stepped up.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2019 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:10:30 22:06:39
Image Width2000
Image Height2659
>>
>>3383542
This list is absolutely shockingly bad. Yeah, they look nice, but if you only want nice looking footage then you may as well just watch camera demo reels.
Like you would've been better just choosing the top ten imdb shit than that pile of wank.
>>
>>3383550
I prefer works by some directors. It seems to me like everything made by Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, The Coen Brothers, or Christopher Nolan are as kino as fuck.

Martin Scorsese and Stanley Kubrick because they know how to tell a good story.

The Coen Brothers know how to do an atmospheric piece like a motherfucking boss.

Cristopher Nolan knows how to shoot a good looking image while telling a story at the same time. If you don’t care about the story and just want good looking images watch some porn.

Please add to this list of kino directors, and what they are known for.
>>
File: epic..gif (2.82 MB, 381x318)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB GIF
>>3383585
>Cristopher Nolan knows how to shoot a good looking image while telling a story at the same time
>>
>>3383542
Half of those are total shit.
>>
>>3383585
Dude do you know satoshi kon? I used to love nolans too, but after discovering satoshi kon from a blog it was ruined for me. Hopefully it will be ruined for you too. Haha
>>
>>3383341
>>3383112
Ive heard blackmagic is releasing their own raw codec is it true? If its, then it should be most lossless process ever! shooting with blackmagic with their own raw codec directly loading in their own software, uow, im excited a bit about! Still will broke though, but meh. Im a cinematographer/colourist, so i do care a bit about raw, dont be so rude on raw, please.
>>
>>3383597
I’ll have to check Satoshi Akon out. I never heard of him, but I’m always searching for new directors.

I love Zhang Yimou: his use of color is fucking amazing. It’s like I’m looking at a moving impressionistic painting and not a film. It’s because of his work that I got interested in learning about color grading.
>>
>>3383603
I can’t wait for blackmagic’s new raw. I heard it was supposed to do part of the debeyering process in camera and the other part on the computer in post.

I also heard it actually takes the camera’s sensor into account and by doing that gives you a lot of freedom to manipulate the image in post.

I also heard that it is small when compared with cinema dng.

If it is even half as good as people say it is I’ll be happy with it.

I’m mostly into color correction than intense sfx so lossless is not as big a deal for me as it might be for others.

And the best think I’ve heard is that it is going to be added to the bmpcc 4k in a firmware update.
>>
I’m going to be filming a concern on Thursday on a Panasonic ar100 mft camcorder. I was going to use the bmpcc 4k but I’m still waiting for my preorder to come in.

I’m going to be using a Nikon d7200 as a b camera.

I plan on recording everything on sticks.

What advice could you give to a noob.

I’ll have to record to avchd not ProRes.

I have fast glass. f/.095 native mft glass and a ultra speed booster which and Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 f mount lens.

Any tips on what I should record, and how I should edit stuff together.

Thanks anons.
>>
>>3383605
Satoshi kon makes animated film. Some of nolan brothers films story line and visual aesthetic were directly and a bit shamelessly inspired by his cinemas thats all.
Thanks for Zhang Yimou, i didn't know him. I also like discovering new film maker. Btw do you like wes anderson's?
>>
>>3383608
Damn! Black magic will take over cinema industry one day. Ive already started saving for a pocket cinema camera, i remember when it first came out i was mocking it so hard, now look whats happening.
>>
File: alright.jpg (170 KB, 1777x999)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
Guys I want to shoot music videos for people, how can I find artists to do this for?
>>
>>3383695
What city are you in? I wanna film a music video for my raps
>>
File: 1538003563442.jpg (10 KB, 225x225)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>3383617
Well firstly what does the client want as deliverables?

If the band wants a full recording of their set lock one camera off on sticks in the back capturing the full stage. Thats your safety wide.

Roam on the other camera (handheld is fine if you trust your steadiness) grabbing 'highlights': primarily the band performing from multiple angles, faces, fingers strumming strings, crowd loving it etc etc. Hold on each highlight roaming shot for at least 5-10 seconds before quickly moving and finding another shot. Rinse repeat.

In the edit use the safety as your bottom video track and sync the highlights camera on top. Cut out the stuff of you re-positioning and there you have it.

For sound get a external recorder (like a zoom h5 or something) and ask their sound guy for a balanced line out (they always appreciate when you have your own xlr cables). Try to avoid live sound from the camera. If you HAVE to then throw a videomic on the safety wide camera. Pull down the gain as much as possible (like -10 on the mic and as far as you can go in camera). Position as close as possible to a speaker.
>>
>>3383752
Thanks, anon.

I'll use the Panasonic af100 camcorder for my safety wide, and the Nikon d7200 for the roaming camera.

I don't want to trust the Nikon for recording a whole concert because of the fucking recording time limit that all DSLR manufacturers add to hobble their camera.

That's the main reason I'm getting a bmpcc 4k; clients love the iq of my Nikon but the recording time limit is a tranny bitch that keeps fucking me in the ass, so I needed to replace it with a real hot chick, a low priced cinema camera.

I have a slr magic 25mm t/0.95 hyperprime in my kit just in case the lighting situation sucks, and I need to use a wide aperture. More than likely the lighting will be great, but I don't want to take that risk, so I have a low light beast lens with me; I only use it for video, so I don't need the 10k lecia lens that rich autists love to use.

I have the panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 zooms which I'll probably use. Most likely the wide zoom, but I have the telephoto zoom just in case I am far away from the stage.
>>
>>3383752
I have an Olympus LS-100 recorder that takes two xlr cables. Is it any good? How do I sync up my footage from my camera with the stuff I would record on an external recorder.
>>
>>3383752
my recorder is being gay. it's refusing to charge the battery. could I plug the xlr cable directly into my Panasonic af100 camcorder; it has xlr inputs. how would running an xlr directly to my camera compare with running an xlr to a dedicated recorder
>>
>>3383743
Houston
>>
>look up some footage of the eos r
>find outdoor concert recording
>video has kids doing the fortnite dance in front of the stage halfway through
>>
>>3383895
And?
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29 KB, 600x600)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3376053
Allow me to expand on one of the OP topics, I'll let you guys be the judge if this is worthy of being included in the next thread.

>>what’s the best camera available on a “budget”?

150$ and below: Canon EOS M, easily the best video for the cheapest price on the second hand market. Needless to say, it doesn't have as much sharpness or overall image quality when compared to more expensive bodies, but hack it with firmware upgrades like Magic Lantern and you can expect some surprisingly solid 2.5K raw footage that's usable for most projects.

150-400$: Canon EOS 7D, universally known as one of the most popular entry level cameras for filmmakers a couple of years back and, even today, still arguably the most competitive one for a sub-400$ budget. Much like the EOS M, it also has an excellent amount of downloadable firmware upgrades that will boost up the bitrate and give you some rather sharp results, especially for a camera this old.

400-1000$: Panasonic covers this price range well enough, the cheapest and most popular one probably being the Lumix G7 and, if you're willing to shill out a little more for a newer model on retail, the G80 / G85 and the G9 are also great choices with slightly higher specs. All of them are 4K capable with excellent sensors and the Micro 4/3rds compatibility also allows for plenty of choices as far as lenses go.

1000-2000$: BMPCC 4K for the best prosumer cinematic video on the market by a considerable margin, Lumix GH5 if you want more still photography options while not compromising on some nonetheless excellent video capabilities. Either of them are versatile enough to serve you well on almost every kind of video situations, though spending about ~800 extra bucks on the GH5 should be entirely dependent on exactly what kind of work you plan on doing with it.
>>
>>3383935
>1000-2000$: BMPCC 4K for the best prosumer cinematic video on the market by a considerable margin
I mean it has some pretty glaring flaws like not being able to record raw at all so...
>>
>>3383948
stop
>>
>>3383952
? Its had its flaws posted itt. The video as well is shown to be worse than a gh5s, its only more "cinematic"
>>
>>3383948
I don't think the gh5 can record true raw either or any bitrate that even comes close
>>
>>3383948
it's the best bang for your buck at that price point, end of story
>>
>>3383970
>The video as well is shown to be worse than a gh5s
You can't honestly believe this...
>>
>>3384077
you have to believe this if you just bought a gh5s
>>
>>3383935
If you aren't in large camera land, GH5 is a better run and gun camera for people doing things like events or music videos. BMPCC 4K looks better for things like commercial or indie films.
>>
File: take 2 (3).png (1.01 MB, 1311x738)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>3376917
>https://mega.nz/#F!wMoBgKgB!k0o6QBLJNzNKHpU3lEINAA

idk if anyone responded to you or not but here is my 2 cents:

I have owned a Panasonic G7 for two years now and have done a fair amount of research into the best vintage lenses that lend to that 'flat flare' sort of style that a lot of people are after- including myself.

Helios 44-2: This is a good lens but will give you swirly bokeh when you bring the aperture down around f/2. Maybe you like that look, I go the Fujian 35mm CCTV lens for the same thing.

Seems like you already have the 50mm range covered, though I would have recommended a cannon fd 50mm. But since you are going to have to deal with 2x cropping I would recommend you get a cannon FD 24mm f/2. It is a workhorse lens and its always great to have a lens that comes close to 50mm after cropping as it is mostly the standard work horse length and as I've read 'most accurately represents what the human eye sees' or whatever.

That Carl Zeiss is probably going to be a beauty, check out the Fujian CCTV 50mm, it looks like a chepo shit lens but its pretty good. Here is a still from some short I did a year ago with it.
>>
File: Old man.jpg (140 KB, 1044x704)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Not on /vid/ too often anymore but thought I would post just to vent a bit and hope some of you guys may relate:
>be me
>be 24
>feel sad and tired all the time, all I do is think about my goals and push through everyday with those goals.
>my cat, uncle, and mother are all terminally ill.
>my dad is my best friend but is incredibly depressed because all his best friends are quickly dying.
>I work basically a janitor/dining room job, worked in NYC over the summer doing this and now work at a camp in Lake Tahoe doing the same.
>I make $11 an hour, graduated from college
last spring with a Sociology degree (yeah yeah, yuck yuck yuck), am 60k in student loan debt.
>Spend all day working my shit job, bike home through the mountains home to do coding school online, I hate coding but its fine. I want a coding job to pay odd my debt, live a good life, and save up all of my money to be able to fund my own film. All I have ever wanted to do, like many of you, is bring a script of mine to life and have it be appreciated and seen. Its my life goal.
>Things are fine, way better than most people. I am just tired all of the fucking time. My job sucks, my social life is non existent, my family is crumbling, coding every night is exhausting and I can only find an hour or so a week to write despite it being all I really want to do.

With all of this things just feel hopeless all the time. Feels like the country is broken beyond repair, feels like the film industry and our society's love/respect of film is dead or dying. I know I am just bitching but I just wanted to write this out because I never get to say it to anyone besides my mop bucket.

>>
>>3376642
>>3376656
>>3376808
No, it's because I don't like black magic.
Thanks for the advice tho.
>>
>>3384077
clear video > "cinematic"

>>3384109
camera land?

>>3384177
you cant just "not like" a brand. look at the product itself, not the brand
>>
File: Comfy dogger.jpg (372 KB, 1803x1351)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
>>3384148
It's alright anon, we've all been there. You're going to make it, it's just going to take a while to get the subsistence you need to direct your own film independently. I know working on crappy exploitative jobs in a radically unequal country can feel like shit but your persistence and the coding gig will eventually help to get you back on your feet. Do you have any ideas for simple short or experimental films you'd like to direct until then? It might help to temporarily scratch that itch for making stuff with video.

And don't be ashamed of having a Sociology degree, it's not my area but, as an academic discipline, it's gone bounds and leaps in the past decade. It's still a recent field and it will eventually find its ground soon enough.
>>
>>3384139
I got the Helios because of the swirly bokeh. If I’m doing psychedelic scenes and shit I want some crazy bokeh.

When I can afford to get one, I’ll invest in the lomograhpy bokeh control lens system.
>>
>>3384148
Order some darknet meth and stay up for three days writing that script.

Put in lesbian action just because lesbians are fun to watch.

Profit.
>>
>>3384139
You were right anon. The Zeiss is my favorite lens so far. I haven’t tested out the Helios yet.

I also like a Jupiter-11a 135 f/4 lens I got. It takes awesome photos when I’m far away from the subject.

Right now I am looking for a good inexpensive ultra wide prime lens to increase my range of focal lengths.

Do they make any ultra wide primes with crazy bokeh?
>>
>>3384197
I’ll bet he’s a pana shill who’s pissed off that blackmagic is giving his beloved gh5/gh5s a run for its money.

He’s pissed that a camera that costs less than half of what his autism-toy costs has a much better image quality, and a lot of awesomeness which will be released in future firmware updates which will make his autism-toy look lame in comparison.
>>
Could a reporter create a fake videographer so that the reporter could run undercover footage at a farm or a place where it’s illegal to film w/o getting into trouble?

Say for example I trespass to get footage for a documentary. Could I just attribute the footage to an anonymous source so I can run the footage in my documentary (it would be an undercover journalism type of thing, like Hunter S. Thomas created fake sources so he could report about stuff he himself saw) without getting in trouble for taking the footage illegally?
>>
>>3384148
I don't know if it's a really common story or something else, but I'm in an almost identical spot if it's any help
>>
>>3384197
Define "cinematic".
Last I checked, higher dynamic range and internal raw video recording easily beat out "clear video", whatever the fuck that means
>>
>>3384309
It entirely depends what they can prove. Personally, I wouldn't risk it on something controversial like that. But to each their own
>>
>>3384317
Controversial stuff sells. And gets rewarded in film festivals. It’s better than faking shit in your documentary that never happened at all like Michael Moron likes to do.
>>
>>3384316
sharpness is anti cinematic. shallow dof
>>
>>3384316
Cinematic is a buzzword meaning crushed dynamic range and le bokeh balls.
>>
>>3384328
did someone say bokeh?
>>
Say I was able to get a budget to afford a reasonably successful actor (from the UK, youngish, done a lot of TV stuff) how would you reach out to them? You'd find their agent... and then what?
>>
>>3384423
Send the agent a script and mention that funding has been acquired. It probably won't go particularly well though.
Really, you need to get an agent yourself and then get your agent to talk to the actor's agent
>>
>>3384427
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't.

I have a contact who's a business person who has incentives to invest into projects because it comes off his taxes, and I thought getting a decent 'name' involved would be a way for it to be seen as something that could be sold afterwards.
>>
>>3384442
Get me to write the letter for you - it's what I do.
>>
>>3384443
I think I'm going to leave it for this one, I'm comparatively inexperienced and was wondering idly in a "wouldn't it be great" sense.

This is my first major project and I reckon I can make it for £5k so don't want to be fucking about with more money than I need to if it goes tits up.
>>
>>3384218
Thanks man, I appreciate the response. I do have short film ideas, nothing I exactly want to put out into the world but stuff I’d like to work on to be able to feel more confident in my direction and editing abilities. Currently I am working with a G7 but once a get trust coding gig, man oh man, that BMPC4K with that Sigma 18-35. The dream.

I hope I can finance my own film by the time I’m 27. That’s my goal anyhow. Currently I am reading and re reading a bunch of scripts from movies I love and annotating the format and beats to try and stabilize my own screenplay writing.

But anyway, thank you again for the reply. And thanks for making me feel a little less bad about my degree, nobody ever believes me but I do feel like I learned a lot.
>>
>>3376138
specific color pallets and looks
>>
>>3384355
boa-kie
>>
I did a video recording last night and the xlr cords gave a little static to the sound, how do I clean up the sound, ie. remove the static. It’s more like a very low hum, maybe line noise.

What filter would I use to remove this noise?

Thanks anons.
>>
>>3384272
Dude, no. :D I just don't like it because even ironically 'blackmagic' sounds evil. What if the owner has made a deal with the devil or something you know??
>>
>>3384959
band stop filter I guess?
/mu/ anon here, I don't really know about video
>>
>>3384982
> creators made a deal with devil to make it

That would make it so much moar awesome to own. Owing a camera that’s possessed by satan sounds fucking as cool as fuck.
>>
>>3384959
low pass filter

>>3384990
>/mu/ anon here, I don't really know about video
funny that, hes not talking about video
>>
>>3385000
Technically it’s a video question because I plugged the xlr cables directly into my Panasonic af100 camcorder.
>>
>>3385021
so rather your asking how to prevent it? sounds like a grounding issue
>>
>>3384959
>xlr

did you also get conned by audiophiles to buy into the expensive XRL meme?
>>
>>3385071
>conned
There's a reason every professional uses XLR, retard.
Maybe it's not necessary for the work anon does but it's the superior connector.
>>
>>3385071
>expensive

There's a lot of expensive shit when it comes to film gear, but XLR isn't one of them
>>
>>3385074
My camera had xlr inputs on it, and another anon here suggested I plugged my camera directly into the mixer rather than using the on camera microphone.

I was recording a jazz concert btw so I assume that the mixing board I plugged into was a decent quality board since it’s also what sent the sound to the speakers at the venue.
>>
My bmpcc 4k preorder just got sent to the warehouse so I should be getting my bmpcc 4k soon.

It’s arriving a little too late for the concert I want to film.

But I should have it for the next event that I am going to film.
>>
>>3385631
cool story...
>>
>>3385638
What story?

The bmpcc 4k is dirt cheap. My DSLR costs more than the bmpcc 4k. And, now I can use my DSLR to take photos and the bmpcc 4k to shoot videos.

I’ll probably keep my Panasonic af100 as a b camera.

And retired my Nikon d7200 from most video work, and make it my dedicated stills camera.

Any poorfag on /vid/ could afford the bmpcc 4k, it’s half the price of the gh5/gh5s — so unless you really need autofocus the bmpcc 4k is the best camera to get at its price point.
>>
File: Tarks.jpg (264 KB, 736x875)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
When did you grow out of Tarkovsky, /vid/?
>>
>>3384959
There's a Noise Reduction filter in Audacity. You first select a noise only part of the recording, save that using the filter menu, then apply the filter again to a recorded section and adjust settings until you get an acceptable result. The noise will partially cover the frequency range of other sounds so you have to keep in mind that you can only remove it to a certain degree before those settings will up other audio. In most cases it works fine to reduce to -18dB.
If that filter doesn't work, then you'll have to find something commercial that does the job in a smarter way.
>>
>>3386195
Does farlight from DaVinci Resolve my nle editing suite offer such a tool?
>>
>>3386064
A few years ago, and then grew back in, realising he is both entry level and exit level
>>
>>3386022
>DSLR to take photos and the bmpcc 4k to shoot videos.
idort is true final destination, poorfags stay btfo.
>>
>>3376053
Doesn’t downconverting a 4k image into a 1080p image make for a much better 1080p image.

Isn’t 4k wasted if you use steaming services like YouTube to deliver your content.

Why won’t the 4k meme die?
>>
>>3386355
>Doesn’t downconverting a 4k image into a 1080p image make for a much better 1080p image.
Yes
>Isn’t 4k wasted if you use steaming services like YouTube to deliver your content.
No because youtube compression is shit at 1080 but tolerable at 4k
>Why won’t the 4k meme die?
Resolution isn't a meme
>>
File: Do it for them.png (525 KB, 1130x816)
525 KB
525 KB PNG
Daily reminder you should feel inspired rather than intimidated by the greats.
>>
What do you guys think about the current state of Resolve? I'm thinking of switching over from Adobe.
>>
>>3386557
The nle and color correction parts are awesome. I’m not sure about fusion and farlight since I don’t use those modules.

The lack of the monthly tax to use the editor is the best thing of all.
>>
File: 1517535344127.jpg (22 KB, 544x403)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>3383828
Sounds like you've got it. For every job you need to adapt on the day. Do a couple of these and you'll start getting the hang of it. Oh also make sure both cameras are set to the same colour temp. And be aware that different manufacturers have different colour science so you might need to grade a touch afterwards to get them to both look the same.

As for light, the majority of concerts look like aids. Its fine if you're at the gig drunk and seeing your mate's band, but for photography/video its terrible. Just do your best to make sure the subject is exposed. Don't worry about the background, just your subject.

>>3383831
You sync it up in the edit. You can find hundreds of videos and examples online. Its the first and foremost thing you do. If using premiere the (m) shortcut key will create a marker. Do this for the audio and video, scrub through and find something pronounced (like the first line someone says or the first drum kick). Put in the markers and sync them together.

You know in films how they have a slate and click it? That click is for the editor to sync the vision and audio.
>>
File: 1513772771292.jpg (219 KB, 455x536)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>3383838
You can do that for sure. Its not always possible with the position of the camera and other variables. If you need to record into camera then do a buttload of checks before the gig starts. For most cases adjust the gain so the volume coming into your camera hovers around -12db (for most cameras/recorders that should be in the 'middle' on your input display).

-12db is enough to catch the low stuff but mid ground enough so if there's a sudden loud bit it shouldn't peak too much. Then again the PA guy should be mixing live, THEN AGAIN some sound guys just don't care, if they've had mixing jobs every night for weeks and been staying up till 3am mixing sound for endless lines of avant-garde jazz fusion bands and squirrel-kin queer slam poetry competitions they start caring less and less with each gig.

Its the same with video. I've started to become like that, at the end of the day its just a job, its even worse with older news cameramen that I know, they stopped caring long ago.
>>
>>3376287
mvp, cheers
>>
>>3386615
I might invest in a time code system to make syncing up my footage easier.
>>
File: image.jpg (392 KB, 1078x606)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>3386616
I usually pop an mdma tablet before I start work because I care more when I’m fucked up than I do when I’m sober.

Image Width1078
Image Height606
>>
>>3386557
The only thing that stops me is literally the audio side. The denoiser in audition is unmatched in making amateur sound professional
>>
>>3386195
It works like shit though. It sounds logical on paper but unfortunately the result isn't very well.
>>
>>3386355
4k literally means 4* the bitrate
>>
>>3386598
>The lack of the monthly tax to use the editor is the best thing of all.
This, fuck adobe
>>
>>3386625
They're easily some of the three greatest directors in the American tradition, you filthy hipster. It's entirely reasonable that some folks might be inspired by them.
>>
>>3386252
There should be a plugin for this. Watch this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2CimFdVIc
In essence most noise reduction filters work by using a noise-only section of the audio as a basis for any further filtering. The one in Resolve is no exception.

>>3386711
Except it does work as long as you understand what not to do. In anon's case it should be enough to filter out some specific annoying frequencies (noise reduction set to 18dB, sensitivity to 6, frequency smoothing set to 0).
Generic noise, like distant urban noise is not what this filter does good. You can expect to drop about 4-6 dBs worth of noise, but anything more and there will be audio distortions or frequency smoothing will have to be increased even more which will shave off the useful frequencies. Constant interior ventilation noise can be reduced up to 12dBs, frequency smoothing has to be enabled (2) with sensitivity set to a low value (2). If the noise however is too high, then the reduction amount may be severely limited. In my case it's best to leave some noise than to distort the quiet sections all too much. Whenever possible, use better tools if this filter isn't adequate.
>>
What did jannies mean by this
>>
What does /vid/ use for general video editing? I use a cracked copy of premiere but it's getting on my nerves.
>>
>>3386835
read the sticky
>>
>>3386857
I did, now what?
>>
>>3386835
DaVinci Resolve here, it has served me well enough for a couple of years now.
>>
My bmpcc 4k arrives this Wednesday? Would this be a good camera for me to use to record cinematic amateur lesbian pornos?
>>
>>3387033
Yes, very good. The only issue is the crop factor. Really you want a larger sensor so that there's no fear of any details being left out
(one of my biggest gripes in the lesbian porn films I enjoy is when the girl cums while there's a closeup on her vagina - a closeup on her face is only moderately better)
In a perfect world, you want the girl's body, from just above her knees to her the top of her head, to be in the shot constantly.
Having said that, you don't want to cast a shadow on her body or have the mics pick up the sound of your breathing. So in that sense, a smaller sensor works well. Ultimately it is just as important that you use the correct lens as the correct camera
>>
>>3387040
Mr porno director out here
>>
>>3387040
>you don't want to [...] have the mics pick up the sound of your breathing

Not sure that can be done, I'm normally breathing pretty heavily.
>>
>>3387040
What lens do you suggest anon? I was thinking of going with a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 wide zoom. I want to be very close to the girl on girl action.
>>
>>3387069
In my film you’d hear an incel making fun of roasties during the porn. That would be me the camera man insulting the sluts I’m filming.
>>
>>3387077
>Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8
The Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 is absolutely unbeatable, great choice anon.
>>
>>3387079
I have a Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 also but that’s used for creepshots. :p
>>
>>3387077

I also have an slr magic 25mm t/0.95 hyper prime lens. My low light beast. Useful if I want to film a scene of lesbians fucking light only by candle light.
>>
>>3387099
I loved Barbie Lyndhorny, anon.
>>
>>3387069
that's why you use overhead mics
>>
File: p24.jpg (192 KB, 1280x720)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
I do grading for this show. It's not like it would be like the end time fulfillment. So, my "social" media friends, as me something, so that I will have performed my task.

https://streamable.com/cruwb

Equipment MakeLG Electronics
Camera ModelLG-H815
Sensing MethodNot Defined
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2018:01:31 22:47:26
Exposure Time1/323 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.42 mm
Comment FM0 FC110111100:zzzzzz0 d dec17804388984d639020014c0 bac2fd159 e1e1296147 9ec bfe135 ed910e2123 bcd d67111 7ab 8da ff 594 6bc13b 455 588141 b5b c53147 c5d d0d14d c80 c97153 b27 a1a159 a0d 812147 929 6db
Image Width1280
Image Height720
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Digital Zoom Ratio1.7
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Altitude0.00 m
>>
>>3383542
Holy hell man, all your movies will look like the meme style of the day if you replicate this. Watch old stuff too. Even movies from the 40s-60s give you tons of stuff to learn from.
>>
>>3383542
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>3383542
> No Country for Old Men

How to do a movie based on a book right. I give the director props for keeping the theme of the book alive in the movie rather than turning a great book into a shitty movie.

However, the book the movie is based on is better than the movie. The movie is not bad, the book’s just much better.
>>
>Canon Trade In
Should I?
My current camera is a 60D with screen issues (the image comes upside down when rotated).
>>
Okay, so maybe you guys can help me out here. I’ve got a shoot tomorrow, basically a series of corporate dramas. The problem is that it’s basically all just stationary dialogue, the location is a fairly bland and small office space, and it’s some of the most boring script I’ve ever had to shoot. At the same time, there’s a ridiculous amount to film, and we’re looking at around 40 slates covering 2-5 basic angles for each scene. My question is how the fuck can I make this visually interesting? I’m planning on shooting handheld, tight and shallow with a fast shutter speed for that candid/documentary look, and maybe throw some interesting establishers in there, but obviously due to time constraints we can’t do anything elaborate with scene coverage or lighting.
>>
>>3388264
what is the absolute best action camera in terms of image quality?
i want to get one to use a c-cam to put where nothing else fits(inb4)
>>
>>3388320
The old blackmagic pocket was used for that purpose if you can live with 1080p and do not need autofocus.

If you want a small rugged high-iq camera /w decent continuous autofocus another anon will need to help you with that.
>>
>>3388320
sorry didnt mean to post this as a reply to >>3388264
>>
>>3388324
don't feel like the old bmpcc fits the bill
>>
>>3388320
if you're going to be swinging the camera around may as well buy a gopro. if the camera will be relatively stationary, the lens will matter more than the body you use
>>
what's a cheaper alternative to the Angenieux Optimo 15-40mm?
>>
>>3388346
Fujinon MK zooms, but you're stuck to e-mount
>>
>>3388439
Or X-mount!
>>
>>3388439
Can’t you have them remounted and/or use a lens adapter to make them work with your camera?
>>
>>3388439
>fujinon mk
>long and heavy af
>aps-c
>t2.9
>not adaptable mount

>sigma cine prime
>8k
>compact
>full frame
>t2.0
>full adaptable

same price ...

why you recommend some old ass shit?
>>
>>3388448
>cheaper alternative to zoom x
>prime
bro
>>
>>3387104
Truly underrated.
>>
ignoring the price -
is there any reason to choose Red over Arri

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:01:26 10:27:54
Image Width600
Image Height275
>>
>>3388713
Higher resolution. Sensor has better dynamic range (sensor in the newest red cameras is actually rated as the best sensor in any digital camera)
>>
>>3388769
is that just for the Monstro or the Helium and Gemini too?
and in what ways is Arri better?
>>
>>3388713
If you're at that price level and relying on a mongolian cave drawing board for picking camera bodies you deserve to fail. There's test footage all over the internet.
>>
>>3388776
abloo bloo bloo
>>
>>3388776
Internet compression sucks. You’d need to download the test footage to get any use out of it. Since he’s asking her which one is better I think he’s not a true cinematographer, but a spoiled autist looking for a toy that he can use to make a shitty blog about bull shit that only other autists would want to watch.
>>
>>3388870
/vid/ will do anything that doesn't involve light tests, color charts, lens tests or rigging a camera
>>
>>3387457
I hate when people say shit like this. Like obviously the book is going to be better, a movie made to be as good as the book would be long as fuck.
>>
>>3388771
https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/4280-helium-is-the-best-sensor-ever-according-to-dxo
It's for the Helium. I have no idea if it applies to their other sensors.

Arri is a more entrenched and trusted brand. They have insanely good colour science too. You can't really fuck up with an arri. You shouldn't fuck up with a red but more DP's have used arris than reds and you use what you're comfortable with.
>>
If I use a Canon DSLR, would a couple of FotodioX Pro LED-312DS from bh be good lights for "set" use? I see the kit is $140.

A year or so ago when I was in college I made my directing film with a C300 and a rebel (I think, I know it was one of them), I had a regular video light (I can't remember which one exactly, it may have been an Arri 650W fresnel) and some LED light that had an adjustable color temperature and brightness (don't remember the size but it wasn't necessarily a large or heavy light). The footage came out great regardless which light I used.

When I did reshoots, I had the DSLR and some old LED light that you put on the hotshoe mount; I screwed the light onto a separate tripod and it worked okay for what I needed. The footage was mostly okay, but sometimes I had no choice but to use a deflicker plugin in AE to mask the horizontal bands rolling up as best as I could; I am assuming it has something to do with the shutter speed (1/50, recording at 23.976fps) and the refresh rate of that light.

If I got a couple of the fotodiox lights I mentioned earlier, would I have an issue with the lines running up/down?
>>
Bump limit reached
new thread
>>3389150
>>3389150
>>3389150

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.