[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Z5_double_slot_SD.jpg (133 KB, 994x727)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
Is it really that risky to use a camera without two card slots?

Finally getting around to buying my own camera instead of borrowing ones from friends but I was recently made aware of how two SD card slots is a deal breaker for many but is it really necessary? Do SD Cards really have that much risk of failing?
>>
>>4282573
Maybe more important if you are using your camera for a real job. But for just a hobby I don't think it is that big of a deal.
>>
Will losing your pictures make you unable to put food on your table?

If not, it doesn't matter what you get.
>>
>>4282596
Thread closed. It's nice to have it as an insurance but if you're not a professional it's not a deal breaker. Just don't cheap out on SD cards and you'll be fine.
>>
Boomers think it's essential to have dual memory cards in their cameras
>>
the most expensive cameras on the market aka cinema cameras don't have dual slots
>>
>>4282612
And we know how valuable their opinions are.
>>
>>4282573
Absolutely, which is why the market realized the superiority of Kodak's camera offerings and, for that reason, it remains the largest ILC manufacturer to this day.
>>
>>4282573
Nice for peace of mind but realistically pointless unless you get paid for your photos
>>
>>4282573
I once had a single photo come out corrupt on one card but not another. Probably a dirty slot.
>>
>>4282573
If you plan to shoot weddings or similar 1-off events, I'd say there's a professional responsibility to use them. You can mitigate the risk by spreading your shooting out across multiple card, but chances are, you probably wont be shooting enough enough for it to be an actual concern. Your far more likely to have a camera issue, than a card one.

If they're just hobby snapshots, definitely not necessary, card recovery often works well enough, and you can just retake them when possible. Splitting video + stills to sperate cards can be convenient at a hobby level though.
>>
>>4282573
Did cameras shoot in two rolls of film at once?
>>
>>4282653
>am i mentally retarded?
Yes.
>>
>>4282615
You mean the cameras used by big budget films? I am going to assume the big price tag also means you’re paying for the reliability. If your equipment shits the bed in big budget productions, your brand reputation is going to crumble fast.
>>
>>4282654
So you’re saying they didn’t? Huh, why didn’t boomers cry about having redundant film capability? Unless it’s some kind of stupid marketing meme
>>
I used single SD card cameras for 10 years while shooting clients and never once experienced an issue. I use exclusively Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards though.
>>
If you shoot bursts or video you will kill cards. Its how it is.

>>4282672
Because how the fuck would they do that without tripling the size and doubling the expense? Film is more failure prone even, but it wasnt economically viable compared to a $30 memory card holding backup jpegs. A lack of said second slot is the marketing scam. Card slots cost the manufacturer pennies. PENNIES. For $2000 bloated aps-c garbage they should be including 2 slots and full sized weatherproofed ports that dont need rubber covers. FUCK JAPANESE TECH COMPANIES.
>>
>>4282672
>>4282653
the argument of "we didn't care before therefore we shouldn't bother with today" is kinda week to me
film images get lost forever all the time do to error, even today
writing to two cards is a lot simpler mechanically than exposing to two separate rolls at the same time
if we stuck to 36 shots per card and just swapped cards often, probably wouldn't matter as much, but cost of failure is greater
>>
>>4282615
Professional photographers don't use those
They are for cinema, it's a different market
>>
in over 10 years of using the same old pair of canons with single card slots, i have never once had a card fail or get corrupted, and that's with custom firmware loaded off the cards to boot
your experience may vary of course
>>
Two times in 25years. It's not many times, but it's happens.
>>
>>4282849
How many in the last 10?
>>
>>4282573
It's a pointless question to ask.
The only way you can answer this question with any level of certainty would be if you knew the failure rate of SD cards as used in cameras.
As far as I know, there's no reliable data on this available. Tony & Chelsea Northrup did an unscientific viewer survey, and that's probably the best data you're going to get, but that's really not good data.
So basically all you're going to get are opinions and anecdotes. Some people have never had an issue, some people have; some people think it matters, some people don't. When you analyze them statistically and account for the sampling bias, what do you get? I don't know, and nobody does, because it hasn't been studied.
So you need to decide for yourself. Would you care if you lost the photos on a card and didn't have a backup? The only information you have is that it's possible. You don't know how likely it is. But you can't act as if it's not possible, because you know it is. That's literally all you need to consider.
/thread
>>
>>4282573
I've lost files twice from not having two card slots because my SD card failed. It's very disappointing and frustrating.

I wouldn't make it a top priority. But if you looking at something with a single slot and there is a similar camera, maybe a higher end model with two slots, it's definitely nice to have that backup. I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to get a second slot unless I was being paid.
>>
>>4282870
Two times actualy. You can use workaround. Its possible to switch cards after 100 or 200 shots if necessary. Or send to smartphone via wifi.
>>
>>4282943
Does anyone still tether in this day and age? Used to be common in early dslr days but I almost never hear about it now. Then you’re trusting your computer and not an sd card lol
>>
>>4282958
Of course people still shoot tethered, but redundancy isn't really a big reason why people do. Most people just aren't shooting in situation's where it's actually that helpful (mostly studio or high volume on-site shooting).
>>
>>4282573
To know the answer, answer this question: How bad would you be FUCKED if you lost all the photos due to a card failure?
>>
>>4282990
What would you have done if you spoiled a roll of film? You people make it sound like it’s a miracle there were professionals at all until the invention of god’s gracious dual card slots lmao
>>
>>4283011
Thrown my camera into a lake.

Yes, the world used to suck and it got better. Shocker.
>zomg y u need a fucking car just ride a horse it was gud enuf fer-
If you start sounding like this, shut up. You are a more irritating version of the standard gearfag.
>>
>>4282612
This is a true statement
>>
>>4283011
What would you have done if your horse broke a leg? You can't just carry a spare leg. We never needed spare legs anyways. Fucking consoomer goy slave jew slop soi boi nu male gearfags!

>>4283015
No one and I mean no one needs more transportation capability than a horse can provide. "Auto" "mobile" consoomers are just incompetent in the basics of animal husbandry and cart hitching. You know how it is, kids, you can gearfag all you want but it wont replace skill. No matter how expensive your car is a good rider will outpace you in the long run with his trusty steed.
>inb4 but what if the good rider has a car
That piece of shit will break for sure. Horses are weather sealed but ford got it wrong for three models so the this new "4 wheel drive with studded tires" gearfag shit aint gonna work if it rains. Horses don't get stuck in mud, son. I dont care if it worked so far, it'll break any day now. Horses #1 forever.
>>
>>4283040
> Fucking consoomer goy slave jew slop soi boi nu male gearfags!
this board 100% unironically
>>
>>4283044
>I drew you as the angry wojak. Now you’re wrong and I’m right.
>Yes and? I am the angry wojak!
>>
>>4283040
>makes fun of /p/
>>4283044
>/p/ agrees
Kek
>>
I like to say i'm more interested in a camera with two f stops than two card slots.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.