[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm sure they could fit a big m2 slot inside the grip.

Imagine if you could just buy a 4tb ssd and install inside your camera.

It would take forever for you to fill those 4tb with photos and videos.

You could just keep taking photos, without ever worring about deleting anything ever.
>>
>>4282755
It would make your camera much bigger.
>>
>>4282755
“Muh two card sluts” larpers seething at this post
>>
>>4282760
No we are not. Leica did the same thing but not user serviceable (jews) and its been a thing for mf cameras before that. I love it because it IS the second card.
>>
>>4282755

CFexpress and SD express are a thing.
>>
>>4282755
inb4 youtube retards crying "NO 2 M.2 SLOTS WHY EVEN LIVE"
>>
>>4282755
Because they use a shit ton more power.

No point adding 10k photos of storage if you only get 100 shots out of a battery, which is already 10 times the size and 30 times the weight of an SD card.
>>
>>4282847
Hydrogen fuel cell cameras when?
>>
>>4282755
bigSD is holding back the industry.
dual m.2 2230 slots are perfectly achievable
>>
>>4282847
have to write a 200 burst of shots
>SD camera takes 30s
>nvme camera takes 2s and goes into idle.

high bitrate video
>1.6-1.9gbps writing constantly to cfexpress
>camera buffers 5s of video and pushes it into the ssd in 1s.
>>
>>4282875
>UHS-III and Express standards released years ago
>still only UHS-II cards on market
they have the technology but HOLD US BACK
>>
Call me when they add eMMCs to cameras
>>
>>4282876
>200 shot burst
You are not a photographer
You are an intern handed an eos r1 on full speed+auto exposure with a high minimum shutter set because it was assumed you have no photographic skills besides button holding and another two interns are culling, cropping, and leveling all your snapshits with a program that supports AI framing
>>
File: 1702573694794840.jpg (47 KB, 1000x857)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>4282755
CF express is essentially PCIe with the NVMe protocol.

So if you have a camera with CF express B slots you can use a dumb adapter to put m2 2230 SSDs in your camera
>>
>>4282897
Advanced levels of cope
>>
>>4282899
But is it wrong? Over half of sports photographers i see anywhere near the field, even at expensive events, are using dslrs that probably arent going over 20fps and only a talentless retard would shoot for 10 seconds straight.

Maybe that’s because they dont want the limited DR of the EVF to prevent AF from locking on to backlit subjects and serious photographers never even needed more than 10fps
>>
>>4282755
>Imagine if you could just buy a 4tb ssd and install inside your camera.
they make 4tb CFExpress cards you sperg

>It would take forever for you to fill those 4tb with photos and videos.
a 64GB card is more than enough even for 46MP cameras. you can change the card when you have to change the battery

>>4282847
you're retarded, you can buy M.2 2230 to CFExpress type B adapters. And the drives are all shittier than actual CFExpress cards
>>
>card filled up
>let me just whip out my screwdriver and totally not drop this tiny screw down a storm drain
It's a real mystery
>>
>>4282948
>Fast cfexpress card
1.7GB\S write
>Fast nvme
12GB\S write

>But if I attach an nvme through an adapter for a bus made for cfexpress it's slow >:(

Good lord you're retarded
>>
>>4282755
these things run at like 55 centigrade, and they are designed to
imagine all that battery power used just to heat up half the camera and increase thermal noise
>>
>>4283067
the underlying technology is the same, cfexpress cards are just nvme drives in a different package, the reason consoomer desktop nvme drives are faster is because they pack retarded amounts of dram on the package to claim bigger number for marketing purposes

if you look at enterprise drives where the marketing doesn't exist the numbers line up pretty much exactly, because they are the exact same NAND packages and controllers, just without the retarded cache gimmickery.
>>
>>4283067
>1.7GB\S write
you must be retarded they make 4x gen4 CFExpress cards. Also this is entirely pointless as anything will thermally throttle in a camera going this quick after a few seconds

>Good lord you're retarded
that projection from someone who doesnt know that cfexpress is nvme

>>4283266
>they pack retarded amounts of dram on the package to claim bigger number for marketing purposes
and the drives quickly run out of it and will throttle

>if you look at enterprise drives where the marketing doesn't exist the numbers line up pretty much exactly, because they are the exact same NAND packages and controllers, just without the retarded cache gimmickery.
they also use SLC flash instead of TLC or QLC which helps a lot for both performance and durability, at the expense of cost. Also my HGST SN200 disks draw 25 watts each and require active cooling.
>>
>>4282875
CFB already works with 2230
>>
>>4282948
>they make 4tb CFExpress cards you sperg

4tb 990 pro = 310 usd.

4tb CFEXPRESS = 999 usd.

I doubt the CFEXPRESS has better quality nand.
>>
>>4283071
>these things run at like 55 centigrade, and they are designed to
Just implement a system to make it go idle when not being used.
>>
>>4282755
I vaguely remember seeing this thread months ago
>>
>>4282759
Not necessarily. They could put it horizontally on the bottom side of the camera, thereby only adding millimeters to the bottom side of the camera
>>
File: 1697547889839203.jpg (262 KB, 1170x1450)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>4282755
Those things generate more heat than you probably think they do, especially if they are being constantly written like with recording video. They are not meant to be removed over and over like an SD card and shouldn't be repeatedly handled. If you want one that's "portable" you'd have to put it in a plastic case (adding bulk) and re-design a socket to hold it (Unscrewing it, rocking it in, isn't feasible for continual use. They also require tremendously more power than an SD card, and idle with about the same wattage it takes to write to an SD card. If you don't have it toolless, you'd have to instead connect the camera to wifi/PC with a cable every time you want to retrieve data.
Basically, you'd have to take an NVMe card, redesign it to be toolless, case it for durability, redesign your camera to accept the card (Adding bulk), redesign the camera for the increased power requirements (much larger battery needed), and then most importantly sell the idea and these new class of expensive cameras to people and convince them to buy into the ecosystem where the only benefit is increased storage space for way more money, when SD cards are cheap, ubiquitous, lightweight, and widely available.

If your recording enough video to need 4tb your camera probably isn't using SD cards anyway.
>>
>>4282876
NVMe idle takes as much wattage as it takes to write an SD card.
>>
>>4282759
So what? Mirrorless cameras are small enough. They can afford to get a little bigger.
>>
The industry needs to adapt.

M.2 storage, more sophisticated software/processing like smartphones can do.
Dual channel video and audio.

They can do all of this, but they refuse, no one wants to take the step for change and milk the same old shit.
>>
>>4288560
>Muh storage
Anyone shooting enough to require more than is practical for cards is recording their video to an external SSD already. This is objectively superior to shoving PC parts in a camera and saying "LE PROGRESS" because you can hot swap the SSDs. Yes I said video. This is meaningless for stills. SD cards are still good enough for stills.
>more sophisticated software/processing like smartphones can do.
The entire point of dedicated cameras is that they do not do not have AI on them and have extremely low chances of making one thing look like something else to "fix" some meaningless quality "flaw" like noise. In the future I expect 0% processed, cryptographically signed images.
>Dual channel video and audio.
This only matters for actual videography and this is already on cameras made for videography. More than 4 channel ,actually.

"Cine"tards, please buy your own fucking cameras, and stop begging for PHOTOGRAPHY cameras to be bloated in size and price to fit all your bullshit features that are totally fucking useless even for 99% of people shooting video. Or at least stick to canon.
>>
>>4288630
YOU VILL UZE ZE FRAMEZ AUT OF ZE VIDEO FEED FOR ZE PHOTOGRAPHY AND YOU VILL LIKE IT.
>>
>>4288560
>more sophisticated software/processing like smartphones can do.
What's the need for that? Also I hope you understand that smartphone processors are more powerful than camera processors BY FAR. The processors used in cameras are orders of magnitude less powerful than phones that have long surpassed the processing power of entry-level desktop computers.
>>4288630
>The entire point of dedicated cameras is that they do not do not have AI on them and have extremely low chances of making one thing look like something else to "fix" some meaningless quality "flaw" like noise.
That's far from being "the entire point" and I would argue it doesn't even cross the average camera consoomer's mind. They want "quality" and that's it. Which dedicated cameras can still do better than phones when used competently. The difference mostly shows up in print.
>In the future I expect 0% processed, cryptographically signed images.
Trusting the signee isn't the right way to do this. It can be compromised and it will. What you need to learn is to distrust images as a whole.
>>
>>4288965
>iT cAN bE cOmPRoMIsED aNd iT WiLL
>>
>>4288965
>tripfag
>is absolutely fucking retarded and so wrong it's like someone tried arguing in favor of flat earth
>>
>>4288630
>>4288965
People like you are holding progress back, please kys.

Smartphones can increase dynamic range extremely well, far better than a majority of cameras.
Camera processors are in the ice age. A smartphone system with ssds is a no-brainer. Both are very cheap in comparison to manufacture.
>>
>>4289244
It's fake DR, zoom in and see the smears
>>
>>4289244
>phones increase dynamic range
It looks like shit and its only from 5 stops to 8. Sensor tech increases DR. Did you know canon already has a sensor with over 20 stops? No hideous AI smears required.

https://ymcinema.com/2023/01/25/canon-has-developed-a-1-inch-4k-sensor-with-24-stops-of-dynamic-range/
How about this, that the worthless aids ridden billionaire literal faggots at apple patent trolled the world out of getting? We should have kept jailing shit stuffers desu.
https://nofilmschool.com/2015/10/quantamfilm-sensor-technology-results-higher-dynamic-range
>SSDs are a no brainer
We already have SSDs. They hot swap because the people who benefit from them fill up terabytes extremely fast. Using these would undoubtedly come with soldering as a planned obsolescence move.
>progress
The favorite word of idiots.
>>
File: msde.jpg (56 KB, 1200x424)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
In other news Samsung will start selling SD express cards soon.
Maybe these won't be case-melting thermonuclear reactors and SD express will finally see adoption.
Maybe.
>>
File: ssd-storage-2.png (478 KB, 1182x1184)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>4282755
hasselblad did
https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/x2d-100c/
>>
>>4282755

probably unbeliveable combo of CF + FAT16, also artistic poverty
>>
>>4290139
Hasselblad was already a planned obsolescence brand
>>
>>4282755
Probs because there's no way to dissipate the heat without adding weight
>>
File: 71YW-nAOKiL.jpg (178 KB, 1600x1600)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
I love my nvmes with my blackmagic 4k. Dunno why smallrig discontinued the nvme adapter and quick release. Probably the gem of my whole rig. Glad I bought 2 when they were released. This is quite useful even with 6k and 6k pro, I really dont know why would they discontinue it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.