[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5d4.jpg (28 KB, 648x568)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>mfw I just realized that full frame is the micro four thirds of film and I have to buy medium format now
>>
File: Mamiya_Six.jpg (45 KB, 499x331)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
taking the foldingpill

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Comment(c)Dirk Spennemann2009AllRightsResvd
>>
>>4317688
Just go straight to 8x10 or larger view camera + contact prints. You'll save yourself a lot of time and money on your quest for the greatest IQ possible. 4x5 and up still btfos all digital trash on the market less than a 50k dollar camera, and maybe still that in some ways.
>>
Is there actually anything larger than medium format that has technology more recent than 40 years ago? Something with built in metering, AF, automatic winding if roll film of that size is a thing.
>>
>>4317688
>I just realized I'm a gearfag
FTFY
>>
>>4317717
Not really. 5 inch roll film and larger exists, but it can only be developed by dip and dunk development, which requires 4+ gallon dev tanks, and a large darkroom.

There exist spot metering wands/backs for LF cameras thst go in where you put the film and take direct light readings from in front of the ground glass. 80s tech, but there are a couple somewhat modern renditions of such a device.

View cameras do not need anything automated. The whole point is to have complete control over every aspect of your photograph from focus to exposure to single sheet development.
>>
>>4317717
Oh wait, there are actually electronic leaf shutters that are definitely newer than 40s years old.
>>
>>4317719
It's not about image quality. It's about metaphysics. You wouldn't get it.
>>
>>4317721
No I get that for what they're designed for being a completely manual tripod mounted device is acceptable, I was just wondering if someone could go around point and shooting with large format if they wanted to.
>>
>>4317736
You can, but it is quite difficult due to the narrower DoF inherent to the format. A few field camera's like the linhof super technika and speed graphic have rangefinder systems that use cams matched to a specific lens that links the rangefinder system to the specific lens. These are not easy to use, but can provide very accurate focusing.

You can also use a wide angle lens with a helicoid focusing ring like a 65mm and utilize the large DoF to not really need to focus. At f16 basically 3 feet to infinity is in focus.

A while back 4x5 film producers made single shot "speedloader" packs that could be loaded and unloaded without needing a changing bag, but I believe most or all are discontinued. There are also some goofy filmbacks that let you load like 6 or 8 shots in and it would unload and load a sheet with one quick movement. I think they also took specially loaded film, or you had to load the sheet film into special holders and then load that into the filmback.

There's a ton of fun and goofy shit made for large format cameras. It's partly why I like it so much.
>>
>>4317723
>It's a about made up shit that I justify to spend more money
FTFY
>>
>>4317748
So no automatic focussing or metering then? I know some press cameras were larger than medium format so they could be made in a handholdable form, and medium format advanced technologically such that shots could be taken quickly and easily. I was just wondering whether large format advanced at all past like the 60s or 70s.
>>
>>4317723
Sounds like you don't get it either, if you can't even describe it.
>>
>>4317763
Nah. There's never really been any point to it aside from enhancing exposure precision. Sinar made a funky and gimmicky sounding focusing calculator that would tell you what angles to set your front and back standards, and aperture at, but that's about it.

And then digital backs rolled around and a lot of manufacturers like sinar switched over to cameras like the P3 that are intended for use only with a digital back and digitally controlled shutter/aperture and lenses with smaller projection fields designed for those smaller sensors.

The P3 has bellows that have wires and contacts running through them so the digital back can control the lens up front.
>>
>>4317765
>P3
Okay, that looks pretty cool. I don't fully understand the extent of it's features but it sounds like even the movements can be electronically controlled.

I also see they have the Sinar M system which is more what I was imagining, similar to modern medium format systems, although it seems like it only takes digital backs with sensors barely bigger than the 645z. I'm not really all that knowledgeable on formats larger than full frame (I'm sure you can tell) so I don't know where the line is drawn between medium and large format.
>>
>>4317688
35mm film really is barely better than polaroid
>>
>>4317757
>>4317764
I can and did explain some of it in this thread >>4315830
If you have actual questions you can ask me something specific
>>
>>4317775
>p3
It has added fine adjustment knobs, but no electronic movements.. Check out the sinar lantec. It's like the modern MF only sinar handy.

There are adapters that let you use a mamiya 645 back on a sinar P3. A P2 adapter to 120 would be much better because you can use up to a 6x17 back with it..
>>
Your photography most likely doesn’t necessitate medium format OP. It’s for projects with focus.
>>
>>4317829
I just hate m43 so much, I can't stand the thought of even using it's film equivalent
>>
>>4317835
I am once again thankful I'm not autistic.
>>
>>4317841
Not as thankful as you're going to be once I explain the metaphysical differences between film and digital and how photography is literally a form of magic
>>
>>4317775
Peep this. Crazy cool camera. I'd love to use this for taking macro wetplates lol.

https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/4027601-sinar-e

Camera SoftwareAndroid UP1A.231005.007.G998U1UESAFXD1
Image Width1440
Image Height1002
>>
Godspeed OP. If Earl could turn his life around you can too
>>
>>4317844
Schizoid warning
>>
File: 000406590002.jpg (901 KB, 1500x1223)
901 KB
901 KB JPG
>>4317829
>It’s for projects with focus.
not really
some of my favorite photos were taken running and gunning with an RZ67
>>4317844
based schizo soul taker
taking a photo with silver hydrate is literally blessing a person's soul with argentum

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareEZ Controller 6.72.004 (171201)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2510
Image Height2048
>>
>>4318119
>I document America's strange beauty
he's a snapshitter that just happens to use a large format camera
>>
>>4318174
I know for a fact that his work is significantly better than yours.
>>
>>4317844
anon it's just a technology box that makes pictures. Do you actually hear yourself right now? You sound like a complete retard. Cameras are no worth being schizophrenic about.
>>
>>4318172
You forgot to color correct your favorite photo?
>>
>>4318278
Bitch, I'm art. You wouldn't get it.
>>
>>4318179
I am actually Ansel Adams
>>
>>4318330
Mm hmmm
>>
>>4318273
>anon it's just a technology box that makes pictures
It is that. But that is just one dimension of what it is. That's like saying a $100 bill is just cotton paper with designs printed on it. That is true, but you're missing the vastly powerful other dimensions to what the money is, does and represents.

I wish it were possible for me to show you how ignorant and ridiculous you sound to me.

>schizophrenic
there is that word again. it's very interesting that everyone here has been programmed to call any idea outside of strict and fundamental materialism "schizo", did you ever stop to question why that word was memed?
>>
>>4318372
Paper bills were made to be used as an exchangable generic object in trades. They physically represent the concept of currency, thats it. You don't even need them anymore in order to use currency, banks just tell eachother how much you owe them and to you in computer numbers.
A camera body gets an image projected by lenses onto a light-sensitive medium to form a photograph, either via various electronics or photon-reactive molecules.
There's no metaphysical aspect to either, you're deluding yourself
>>
>>4318372
you are the kind of person to drink bleach to btfo the big pharma shills
>>
>>4318172
Your favorite photo is a snapshit, anon. I'm sorry.
>>
>>4317736
Yes, look into press cameras
>>
>>4317688
no, full frame is the 35mm of film. micro 4/3 is too shitty to even have a celluloid equivalent.
>>
>>4321550
micro 4/3 is bigger than 16mm film
>>
>>4321558
I wasn't aware that 16mm stills camera were even a thing.
>>
>>4321627
video is just a series of stills
>>
File: IMG_2077.jpg (167 KB, 694x1000)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>4321627
110 film was 16mm inside a cartridge, and before 110 there were various “spy” type cameras that used 16mm. Or even smaller, like the Minox used 8mm film
>>
>>4321558
yeah but 16mm is small enough to start being based again. see >>4321638

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.