[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I really want to go to a car meet and take photos, but I don't know jack shit about cars and I don't want to make an ass of myself, so that's why I don't. What about you anons? What are your experiences at car meets?
>>
>>4341026
Nice hw collection
>>
>>4341026
Quit being a bitch. Car meets are literally designed for carsoys to jack themselves off while looking at their own and others' cars. Brother of mine has a JDM tuner and goes to these every now and then, and honestly most people are stoked you think their car is worth taking a photo of.
>>
>>4341026
mate, just go, i wouldn't even bother trying to mingle and chat to the owners or whatever, just quietly wander around with headphones in and take shots. there will be shit loads of other people taking pictures, so you won't stand out.
>>
>>4341039
Anyone wearing headphones at a social event is definitely going to stand out, it sends a very weird message, like, you want to be present but in your own world? Kinda rude.
>>
>>4341026
Most people will be just stoked for you to take interest in their car desu, just nod and say that is pretty cool or sum shit.

Offering to send them the photo after the event also helps

Don't be the headphones autist, they even look weird in anime cons and such lmao
>>
File: L1054638.jpg (1.53 MB, 1500x1009)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
you dont need to know anything about cars to take photos of cars, you just gotta make them look cool

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeLeica Camera AG
Camera ModelM8 Digital Camera
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2018 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2024:05:05 02:30:45
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/9.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/9.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1500
Image Height1009
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID0000000000000000000000000000343E
>>
>>4341026
Why does you not knowing anything about cars matter?
>>
>>4341155
Well you might be right, what I mean is just cruise around and don't worry, a car meet certainly isn't an intimidating location to take photos. Its almost the opposite.

Captcha PPPP
>>
File: P1010628_02.jpg (3.32 MB, 3875x5212)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
>>4341026
No one at car meets will be upset with you for not knowing about cars. It's only cringe when people feign knowledge about something they don't know anything about. If you don't pretend to be an expert no one will care. Most likely no one will say anything to you beyond "you wanna take a picture of the engine mate?" or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>4341503
I wanna add onto this. Car ppl LOVE talking about their cars and will gladly tell you which parts of the car are considered cool to other car people so that you may take pics of those. Dont be afraid to ask before you've ended up taking 37 pictures of alternators and brake boosters.
>>
File: _AAK0368_5MB.jpg (3.91 MB, 5983x3989)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
>>4341026
car meets are very private here, instead I go to dealerships and collections/expos
dealerships will literally just let u walk around and take pics, they don't care
>pic related

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-S5M2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.2 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:07:21 20:47:25
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/2.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.5
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4341503
Based R32 poster. Gts-t hype.
>>
>see cool car
>take good pick
>neat
that's how i do it without knowing a god damn thing about cars. there's a reason im on /p/ and not /o/
>>
File: P3128137.jpg (1.95 MB, 1944x2592)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>4341026
fuck car meets. just take photos of interesting cars you see parked on the street
car meets are full with retard pimped shitboxes. why would you spend money on a front wheel drive? WHY?

Equipment MakeOM Digital Solutions
Camera ModelOM-5
Camera SoftwareCapture One 23 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance4.68 m
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length17.00 mm
Image Width1944
Image Height2592
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4341174
>you don't need to know anything about taking photos to take photos
thanks for the example
>>
>>4341998
Np anklebiter :3
>>
File: IMG_0101.jpg (1.2 MB, 3000x2000)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>4341026

Just go. You won't be the only one taking pictures. It's perfectly normal.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 90D
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2021:05:15 08:04:38
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length52.00 mm
Image Width6960
Image Height4640
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4341997
You must be going to the wrong sort of meets.
>>
>>4341026
Usually car meets are just full of people that are of two camps are rare few just go to them to show off their car that they paid a lot of money for somebody else to restore. The majority of people there though did the work themselves all the hard-wrenching sometimes the body work rarely the paint is that's pretty specialized work. They're more than happy to talk to somebody who doesn't know jack shit about what they're looking at. I liked car shows well enough and I found out there was going to be one in San Diego when I was going to 2012 Comic Con to help a bunch of friends set up their booths and do a media scrum.

A bunch of people calling them the Corvette owners and restorers of America we're holding a meet and greet at a hotel in Hotel Circle in northern part of San Diego and I went to it as I was just across the road at the DoubleTree hilton. Even from there I could tell things were being live like it here loud music a bit of Hocking and some burnouts taking place.

I don't think much of the Corvette as a sports car. It started out an expensive, morphed into something really nice and then it became a muscle car and now it's morphing into a supercar. It's kind of lost its original intent. But these people were mostly restoring older ones from the '60s and 70s and rarely the '80s. The types of cars you saw the modifications were in some cases you need. One guy put in the engine from a 7.2 L diesel truck. It had only about 7 inches of clearance underneath the gigantic oil pan that it had for all the oil it needed. The guy talked about how hard it was to shoehorn and engine that massive into such a small place but he did it. You talked about all the work he did rerouting the exhaust manifolds and plotting out new directions to put them in, and a bit of extra noise baffling in front of the mufflers. The car had an amazing top speed of 170 but it took a while to get there but the amount of torque that thing had was amazing. I do addition he got 35 MPG
>>
>>4345543
You talked about changing things around so that he didn't get cavitation happening on the cooling passages.
>>
>>4341026
Just go and say "hey, your car is gorgeous can I take a picture of both of you?". you dont need to know anything and will end up with a great collection.
>>
File: mmmR32.jpg (2.62 MB, 2500x1657)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>4341503
Kino.
>>4341026
The best car shows are really at race tracks, you can even get ride-alongs at certain ones if you've never been in something really fast. If you're young try Gridlife or Final Bout, if old then idk a drag strip event or an IMSA weekend.

Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
>Few just go to them to show off their car that they paid a lot of money for somebody else to restore.
Its actually "most" of them
>>
>>4346774
This. And they often don't know anything about their car, except the spec sheet, what they paid for it, and what they believe it's worth.
>>
>>4346786
so its just like /p/!
>>
>>4341026
just go bro, nobody cares if you don't know anything about cars. it's already an unspoken praise to an /o/tard that his shitbox is even given any slight attention by someone who takes photos of it.
>>
File: IMG_5593.jpg (3.38 MB, 3462x5454)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>4341516
>>4346750
cheers fellers
>>
>>4341026
Okay here's everything you need to know:
Everything German sucks. Everything British has soul and character but is still an unreliable eurotrash piece of shit. American cars (pre-1990) have peak aesthetics but are lackluster in every other respect. American cars post-1990 just suck in general. Japanese cars are the opposite of American. Stance is even gayer than literally having sex with men. "People" who show up to car meets with their Tesla expecting anyone to think it's cool should be beaten with hammers. There's no replacement for displacement. People who drive the V6 versions of American muscle cars are the lowest form of human life, and the people who drive the 4-cylinder versions are actually more respectable.

Take this knowledge, go forth, and conquer.
>>
>>4341026
Just have a cool car yourself, then all you need to do is show up and take your snapshits of the others.
>>
>>4346909
I NEED a Mazda Autozam AZ-1. Basically a fucking motorbike engine in a gull-winged micro sports car. Great asthetics like this Sera has
>>
>>4347046
I love my Sera but the Autozam is also fucking sick. I still miss my Skyline though. I had to sell it for pennies after it got flooded.

Camera ModelPixel 3a XL
Camera SoftwareHDR+ 1.0.322479891zdr
Equipment MakeGoogle
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image Width4032
Image Height2169
Image Created2020:08:14 20:13:22
ISO Speed Rating281
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure Time16703/1000000 sec
Subject Distance RangeMacro
SharpnessNormal
Focal Length4.44 mm
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Subject Distance0.49 m
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height3024
White BalanceAuto
Brightness1.1 EV
Image Width4032
Exposure ModeAuto
Lens Aperturef/1.8
RenderingCustom
>>
File: _1227738.jpg (872 KB, 2400x1600)
872 KB
872 KB JPG
Just take pics
then look at them and think of ways to make them better

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-GH5M2
Camera Softwaredarktable 4.8.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)120 mm
Image Created2024:08:11 18:10:48
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length60.00 mm
Image Width2400
Image Height1600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Image QualityUnknown
White BalanceAuto
Focus ModeAuto
Spot ModeUnknown
Image StabilizerUnknown
Macro ModeNormal
Shooting ModeManual
AudioNo
Flash Bias1.00 EV
>>
>>4341026
I used to go to meets a long while ago with my camera. Usually people are thrilled that someone is interested enough in their car to take a picture of it.

Just be cool and don't be a poser and you will 100% fit in. Don't pretend to know stuff you don't, just err on the polite side of honesty, and if you don't know, ask. People at meets are generally more than willing to talk your ear off and tell you everything you want to know about their car, and several things you didn't.

If someone asks which car is yours, be honest. If you brought your normie daily, who cares? Own it. State you're more into photography and don't even know that much about cars. That's totally valid.

I need to go again I miss those years. No reason I stopped other than I had a falling out with my buddy that used to be in the scene too. I need to mend that bridge.
>>
>>4347532
You should call him, anon
>>
File: 1723495361650.jpg (168 KB, 1045x696)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>4347547
Thanks for caring.
It's complicated though.

He and his gf broke up. She says he was abusive. Physically. I believed her. It isn't a stretch to believe.
I decided to remain friends (just friends) with her instead of him.
None of my circle likes him.
My gf actively hates him.
He and I never had any bad blood.
But if I rekindled, the optics would be either that I'm accepting abusive tendencies, bringing around someone nobody else in my circle likes, or have to put conditions and limitations on how and where and when and with who he and I can hang out, and that's just not fair to anyone.

I did check in a year or so ago as I saw a car that looked identical to one I know he drives totaled on the highway and wanted to make sure he was okay.
It wasn't him but he sounded like he appreciated the concern.

Nophoto blogpost over, sorry. I just think about him a lot, we were friends for a long time before all this shit happened.

He probably browses, but not this board.
Here is a phone snapshit from a simpler time many years ago when we were going to meets fairly often. I think this is before I blew up my #3 cylinder trying to race an Evo on the way out (lmao).
If he sees this he will certainly recognize me.
I wish things were different and I don't know how to fix it.
>>
>>4346839
Not an awful primer for shitboxes ngl, except VWs suck unless they're something cool, like 90s vr6 gtis. Most other older German cars are cool for what they are. Like seeing well maintained S classes
>>
File: P8110022_v1.jpg (90 KB, 960x640)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>4347594
My closest friend is in a similar situation. Friend of hers is apparently a misogynistic dickwipe to his wife, but otherwise they had a good friendship. Cut him off, and is conflicted. Idk, it's hard when you see a different side of someone you think you know. You don't want to pretend it's okay, but you kind of want that toothpaste back in the tube so you can go back to how it was.

Pic rel, it's a photo of a car so I'm still on topic.
Is that a BMW E34? Kind of hard to tell but brother of mine had an E36 for a while he also blew a cylinder on while racing a 00' WRX through Sydney and then proceeded to spend 4 years """rebuilding""" it. He never got past the head but also for some reason decided to rebore the engine with fuckall block wall to spare. Never ran again.

Camera SoftwaredigiKam-8.4.0
Image Width960
Image Height640
Image Width960
Image Height640
>>
File: PXL_20240413_183904188~2.jpg (1.57 MB, 4032x2101)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>4347880
1990 Merc 300CE. My specific one ks kind of a shitbox but I love it.

Borbet As in the background. They didn't fit well and are for sale. Have a set of AMG aeros for it that need tires. The tires it has are shit but I'm not putting aeros on without doing the wheel bearings and brakes and I just haven't gotten around to it.

Still have it but haven't done shit with it this year. Sitting outside under a cover and it makes me sad. Nothing critically wrong with it just haven't driven it. Battery is probably dead. So this is how "ran when parked" happens...Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I'm making excuses for myself because my 94 wagon needs work first and is taking the garage spot but the garage is messy and my workbench has shit I need to sort through on it. I used to have no problems working outside. Now it's a big blocker I'll make for myself.

I've become soft. Something must change.

Equipment MakeGoogle
Camera ModelPixel 5
Camera SoftwareHDR+ 1.0.604778939zd
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Image Width4032
Image Height2101
Image Created2024:08:13 15:31:06
ISO Speed Rating86
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure Time1667/200000 sec
Subject Distance RangeClose View
SharpnessNormal
Focal Length4.38 mm
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Subject Distance1.86 m
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height3024
White BalanceAuto
Brightness3.7 EV
Image Width4032
Exposure ModeAuto
Lens Aperturef/1.7
RenderingCustom
>>
>>4347142
>>4347594
>>4347880
>>4347897
ugly shitboxes, get a twingo.
>>
File: Ad Poster NSGTR.jpg (2.99 MB, 5812x7818)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>4341503
Bossman, here you go.
>>
File: celic.jpg (1.67 MB, 2857x3317)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>4341030
really

Image Created2024:07:24 14:58:37
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time4 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Lens Aperturef/11.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
>>
>>4341503
Nice mist filter
>>
>>4341026
cArs are so gay when immobile. As of I care about their tuning and gear. I want them in motion.
Anybody have experience with going to WRC rallies? I want to be on a street or cirve when they drive through and take some nice pics.
>>
>>4350192
I didn't use a mist filter.

>>4348433
Love it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.