[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: reality_begins.png (423 KB, 480x480)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
How would you ever know if you are actually autistic? People are made weird remarks about my behavior and I am sure some people think I am autistic in some regard. I have even had people ask me outright. Which I even hate responding to because I don't want to be autistic. It bugs me that I might be because then that gives people room to think of me as a "retard" or something. I have many strange quirks and mannerisms and things I call "hard locks". Basically things I do that I don't deviate from. Like I don't eat sandwiches and no chips. I don't ever brush my teeth and then get dressed. I always get dressed and then brush my teeth. Just weird stuff like that. If I don't do certain things routinely I suffer from like a weird feeling of immense bad luck. Anyway, is it possible that I actually am autistic? If so... is it worth even getting diagnosed? I am 29 years old and it seems like it wouldn't help to actually know. What would I even do with that info?
>>
>>71115234
A lack of emotional understanding and also having a hard time grasping sarcasm. Autists tend to be ultra logical and literal.
>>
>>71115294

I see. How do they even test adults for autism? I know with kids they like watch the kid play with blocks and shit but how could they ever tell in adults?
>>
>>71115294
Well, I understand sarcasm, so I'm clearly not autistic. That or I just picked up on it after long enough.
>>
>>71115234
similar issue. You can find out by seeing a psychologist I guess. Many will diagnose you just for wanting the diagnosis. I spend most of my day avoiding bright lights and wearing noise cancelling headphones, and like having headphones in my ears even when they're not on because they just cut out the harshness of the worlds sounds.

I'm a fag, which also happens to be more common with autists I guess, and I went on a date with an autist recently and the entiren ight was just them saying 'wow, I do that too, you should get tested for autism'.

I'd like to have it just so I can explain to people I'm autistic when they encounter the weird things I do (like wearing sunglasses inside or at night) but i dont want it affecting my business prospects or ability to move countries which is apparently a thing.
>>
>>71115375
Being autistic is complex. Do you recognize sarcasm / humor yet still respond seriously to it? A lot of people with autism do not because they don't understand the sarcasm, but that they understand that the person isn't just joking and that they are trying to say something serious and then deflect by saying 'its just a joke', when there is no other response to their terrible humor.

At least its something I only noticed autistic people do. Maybe normies have written off actually well thought out people as not understanding sarcasm when its the normies who don't understand their various coping mechanisms.
>>
>>71115592

Its strange because I recognize that a person is being sarcastic if they are actually doing sarcasm well I guess? Sometimes I get the feeling they are being sarcastic but I respond semi-seriously just in case they aren't being sarcastic. I find that I can fit in well in most social situations if I am sort of a "third wheel" so to speak. If I just happen to be a person that is there and I can chill out, I am fine. I am very very socially bad when it comes to 1 on 1 dates or 1 on 1 social interactions. I find that I just can't keep up with most people.
>>
>>71115234
If you get diagnosed very early (kindergarten) you can have autism. If you get diagnosed later in life it's most likely a missdiagnose coming from other problems (mental decline, isolation, personality disorders...).

Basically if you get diagnosed as high functioning autism, it is most likely not.
>>
>>71115799

Does isolation actually fuck you up?
>>
>>71115234
How would y'all feel if you were actually sitting next to reviewbrah in the back seat in this exact situation
>>
>>71115839
Yes. People who are isolated never mentally grow past childhood, as is the case with me.

Social skills are built over a lifetime of social interaction. If you miss out in your formative years, you'll always be behind.
>>
>>71115839
Yes. Isolation, addiction, abuse and neglect, sexual orientation, personal differences, personality disorders, physical problems, etc. All this can affect the growth/decline/training of your brain. In fact you can suffer irreversible damage and cognitive loss from many causes.
>>
>>71115955

How do you fix it? I feel like my brain is hurt because I am just so... defensive? or rather risk averse. I really hate taking risks and I realized I had a issue a long time ago when I said something like "Oh just let me save first before I do this." I said that as if I could save the state of my life and then reload if whatever choice I made didn't work out. I caught myself and really thought what would make me even think that. I felt retarded.
>>
>>71115294
Theres more then one method of performing logic and lots of different non autistic people perceive the world very differently
>>
>>71116004
What do you mean "defensive" and "risk adverse"? Everyone goes through these emotions, and everyone do it differently. You gotta practice, make decisions, step out of your comfort zone. Leatn and get experience being just you.

Ofc some people have less exeperience than others, some are more sensitive while others are more bold. Some have caring parents that tought them how to be confident, some have good appearance and it helped them be confident, while others are given worse cards.
>>
Many of the things you are being told here are wrong. Autists can understand sarcasm, and it's possible to have it without being diagnosed as a child.

The best way to tell is to go to an expert, but not all experts have any clue either.
You could read up on symptoms, and realize that not all symptoms are what they look like at face value, and you don't need to have all of them to be autistic. You could also have some symptoms without realizing.

It sounds pretty autistic that you refuse to do certain things in certain orders, and if you have an autistic body language that may be one of the biggest tellers, social awkwardness could be caused by many different things but if you actually move like an autist then it likely goes beyond that, at least that's how I feel.
>>
File: stimming.jpg (9 KB, 273x184)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>71115234
Do you stim? I'm a sperg who has also known a lot of spergs, and this is one of the biggest things. Most stimming isn't as ridiculous as attention whores or "feel sorry for me" SJW-type autists make it out to be, and it won't necessarily out you as an autist to somebody who isn't familiar with the signs. It's more like pacing, drumming on tables, clicking a pen, incessantly tapping your foot while sitting down. Normies do this stuff a little bit, but autists tend to do it constantly.
>>
>>71115375
Not that simple, im diagnosed with autism and i understand sarcasm perfectly fine and that's why its a spectrum
>>
>>71117308
I'm an autist and for me the biggest one is moving my toes, I also do things with my tongue like trying to clean my teeth or just moving it in ways that could make sounds.
But I also fidget and want to have something in my hands, but that could also be caused by sensory issues (hyposensitivity) and not necessarily stimming, the root cause could be one or both of them.
Supposedly, stimming doesn't even have to be physical at all, listening to music or looking at changing lights could also be stimming.
>>
>>71117308
holy shit i always did that.
sitting perfectly still is painful.
>>
>>71117308
rock back and fourth
wiggle toes
>>
>>71118015
I didn't even realize the toe wiggling was such a common autistic thing until recently, then I started to catch myself doing it a lot.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.