[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/soc/ - Cams & Meetups

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 5 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: iris.jpg (150 KB, 700x543)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Hi friends,

we are looking for new active members to join our comfy server for people that are into technology and or programming!

we enjoy discussions about anything and everything, not just tech but the main focus is on tech/programming!

we are aged around 18-28 (mostly 18-24) and are welcoming and friendly.

come join !
https://discord.gg/KAfYgq5Akh

4chan's finest programmers
>>
>>30357184
https://discord.gg/KAfYgq5Akh

our discord
>>
come join and tell little richard about all your programming adventures!
>>
File: terry_blueshirt.jpg (84 KB, 800x450)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
based based based server
>>
>>30357184
Ah yes, 4chans finest
Incredibly impressive.
>>
>>30357246
Very smooth indeed. Maybe you should try some social engineering
https://discord.gg/5DsQa7B8
>>
>>30357249
>>30357246
fake and gay, dont join their gay server.
>>
File: lins25.jpg (234 KB, 600x400)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>The server was great, I really enjoyed my time there! I talked about Linux and met some cute femboys who were into programming, 10/10 would recommend!
>>
>>30357252
I don’t fake screenshots of grooming lol. Stay mad that someone thought it was funny enough to screencap
>>
File: weloveprogramming.png (472 KB, 1280x640)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
WE LOVE PROGRAMMING!!!
>>
tech enthusiasts in !!!!
>>
File: irismmx.jpg (270 KB, 1483x847)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>
File: bill_gates.jpg (802 KB, 4928x3285)
802 KB
802 KB JPG
>i approve of this based server
>>
bamf
>>
best server uwu
>>
bump
>>
booonk
>>
File: jblow_1.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Despite all the anti-features of TempleOS, it has some great ideas that modern systems, especially Linux, should learn from. I think the shell is the greatest strength of the OS, since it uses a general purpose language, and can manipulate the OS programmatically. And because the terminal program supports mouse events, rich media (the most ridiculous being 3D models), and potentially even more, it's practically an IDE. The shell is such an integral part of the experience, that you can basically develop, debug and use the OS without ever leaving the terminal window! Of course this isn't really a new idea, as Project Oberon had a very similar approach, only with a Pascal style language. It was developed in 1987 by the way. There was also Smalltalk (1972), which made you ultra productive, and was a joy to work with overall. Also note how it's one of the most minimal languages ever. Some languages like Erlang and Elixir allow hot-swapping code at runtime, which could be used in such an OS, but they are not very user friendly. Jonathan Blow's Jay language looks like it's very flexible with it's metaprogramming, though he wants to use it primarily for game development. Finally, Emacs is executing the OS idea using Lisp, while masquerading as a text editor, which is totally not misleading. See how you can have all this power without needless complexity? Terry's OS and Project Oberon fit on a floppy, the Jay language compiles 3D video games in less than a second, Emacs does everything with only parentheses, while some text editors literally download chromium to work, and then struggle to open files larger than 10MB, not to mention RAM usage. Maybe web assembly will change something in terms of performance, but the spirit is definitely not there... Guess this is why some like distros like Arch ;)
>>
File: jblow_2.jpg (172 KB, 1200x1500)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>30363535
But Linux (community) is not innocent here either, with allowing trash like systemd to infect every distro. Void really shines here, because it's fast, minimal and in general makes the right choices. However, Linux (distros) are just not interactive enough. They manipulate text and files really well, but when talking about richer media, they send you somewhere else. Imagine if your terminal could display images as effortlessly as text, play some video, maybe render an interactive preview of a document you're writing. You might say that this violates the UNIX philosophy, but I think you could extend the idea of pipes to account for rich media, or just yield values from functions Python-style, making everything as modular as ever. Suddenly the terminal IS the OS, only more powerful and customizable than anything mouse based. When I say that Linux should learn from TempleOS, I mean it in the most unharmful way possible, because Linux is the only good operating system (kernel) for a (power-)user, and it has infinitely more potential than the lost causes I won't mention. I know, however, that Linux is a project with history, and that not everyone can reinvent the wheel quite like Terry, but let's not forget that there is a lot of room for imprevement in software, and accepting mediocre solutions will only slow us down. Vim and Emacs users definitely know, that there are good ideas in older, simpler, but evergreen pieces of software. Terry knew that really well, so he created the OS of, maybe literally, his dreams. Thanks for reading this far into my rant, please read the rest, it's not much :) Terry's TempleOS is inspiring in how much it does with limited resources, how it doesn't forget things done well in the past, and how power-user-friendly software can really be. Rest in peace Terry, I have no doubt that anyone who looks at TempleOS beyond the surface level will see that it's damn good software, written by a damn good engineer.
>>
File: blush.png (18 KB, 112x112)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>30363568
then come join baka!
>>
File: 1586297222651.jpg (700 KB, 2304x1536)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>30357184
Looking to join a growing community for gaming, streaming, and making friends? Join the Vapor Chill discord server now!

Server Features:

-Private channels for different games so you can find people to group up with in game.
-Channels for topics like art, music, and history so you can find people with similar interests as you.
-Lots of self assignable roles so you can see what others interests are and learn about their personality.
-Occasional contests with prizes such as gifted money on steam or discord nitro!!!
Link: https://discord.gg/Fk9BSFV4
>>
Did one of you really lop off their dick?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.