[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/t/ - Torrents

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sr7g0kkifwa71.jpg (160 KB, 975x1200)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Anons, I know this post is shitty and is forbidden but hear me out. I plan to write a position paper regarding piracy and I'm up for piracy. Do you think I could write
a strong position paper? And if so could you help me cook up some counter to these counterclaims?

Counterclaims;
>Piracy is Illegal
>Piracy is Bad for Production
>There are Legal Alternatives to Piracy
>>
File: 1631542970824.jpg (39 KB, 462x416)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1077508
>Piracy is Illegal
Not my problem.
Not my problem.
Why trouble myself if I can just pirate everything I want.
Retarded idea desu.
>>
>>1077508
An anon wrote a paper with similar ideas in mind, maybe it'll inspire you

Expires in 24h
https://litter.catbox.moe/l398o5.pdf
>>
>>1077508
You don't defend privacy.
You attack contemporary copyright laws.
>[the United States Congress shall have power] To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.
A sentiment with which I agree.
The exclusion of others' rights are to "promote the progress ofbscience and useful arts." I.e. that the author or inventor may be able to gain an economic incentive to do more works. And for a limited time.
The present laws (what, 70 years after the death of the author?) simply cannot meet that Constitutional standard.
It's Impossible to incentivize a skeleton. (Although the Democrats have had success in getting them to vote and collect social security checks.)
And "limited time" is even included to recognize that the author is supposed to be alive when that time expires.
The contemporary rent-seeking model is wholly unlawful.
>>
There are tons of youtube videos and essays on this already. do your research properly and stop being a lazy fuck
>>
>>1077508
Copyright laws are nothing more than censorship by big corporations to stifle competition. The (((corporation))) don't lose a dime whether you pirate or not. It's nothing more than another form of censorship. If Shakespeare were alive, his works would be considered "copyright infringement." And just think, our copyright laws so fucked up because (((Disney))) would let Mickey enter the Public Domain
>>
>>1077508
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1077793
*wouldn't
>>
>>1077508
>Piracy is Illegal
piracy ensures things like old video games don't disappear
"Piracy is a service issue"
-Gabe Newell, of Valve and Steam. Steam's whole premise pretty much is that more people will buy your product if the platform provides a better service than piracy. And for most people it does. And provides a much better service for gamers than the legal alternatives for music, films, etc.
piracy allows people to get what they otherwise can't afford to, and allows the developer/artist/author/filmmaker to reach a wider audience
I've spent thousands on an artist I like, who I never would've found out about because of piracy. and for 20 years they've always been supportive of piracy ever since their first release. even when they were signed to a label.
the RIAA and co. can fuck off until it stops ripping off and exploiting the people they supposedly represents
Spotify didn't break even for a while because they get paid little I believe
not many good legal alternatives for FLAC - Beatport, TIDAL, Bandcamp. Beatport is focused on EDM and all its subgenres but has terrible UX even after more than a decade. i've never used Tidal, Beatport is good and only takes 15% revenue IIRC but that requires its artist to be on there, which RIAAs probably don't allow
I don't think there's any alternatives for Blu-Rays anymore - any Blu-Ray remux will be much better quality than anything from Netflix 100% of the time every time. if it doesn't then it's compressed thus not a remux. there was Ultraviolet but I think it had some really restrictive DRM.
GOG.com is the only one I'm aware of for games, except indie places like itch.io
>>
OP here, what makes the "free-ness" of piracy relevant? I could only think of things such that information and knowledge should be up for public dissemination. What do you think are other factors that benefit from piracy being free?
>>
>>1078013
Anon, we live in an age of unprecedented P2P sharing the likes of which humanity has never seen before. Computer data can now be created so effortlessly that it is a near useless strategy to sell it for a price unless it has some DRM.

What makes digital piracy so relevant is that it has been proven time and time again to be a victimless crime. The studies that would prove otherwise have been inconclusive, or even contradictory.

There is so much fighting against digital piracy despite the fact that it is too decentralized to take down completely, and so convenient for end-users that it is a preferable alternative for nearly every kind of file you can run/store/view on a computer.

This is legitimately very life changing technology; the way we pay for media and the way we access media is now forever changed thanks to systems like these. That's what makes it so relevant.

If you wanna read some more about piracy in history, I'd recommend The Pirate Book (it can be downloaded at thepiratebook DOT net). It's a fascinating read.
>>
>>1077508
There was a study done for the EU by an independent company trying to find out if piracy affects sales. They've reached the conclusion that at worst, you can't prove it does. Since the findings were so controversial, it was never meant to be published, but was leaked eventually.

Also, I would criticize copyright first and foremost. Together with patents and the like, it's basically a government enforced monopoly. It would be reasonable to have a decade or so of monopoly on the sale of a book you wrote, but what is actually happening goes far beyond insanity.
>Piracy is Illegal
Just because it's illegal doesn't make it inherently bad.
Quite possibly true, because the producers will make bad decisions out of greed or fear, and everyone gets worse products because of DRM. This is another thing you can use to support your point. It might also be an extreme opinion, but I'd say that if something were to be created with greed first, the world is likely better off without it.
That thing Gaben said with the good service and the thing. Movies appearing in torrents don't have those FBI warnings and whatnot. $10 a month each for 5 services just so you can watch everything you wanted, but some randomly stop hosting that show you were trying to finish.
>>
>>1079267
Victimless crime my ass. The companies don't lose a dime whether you pirate or not. Take your reddit spacing & go back to plebbit, newfag
>>
>>1080864
Are you sure you know what "victimless" means? Maybe you'd like to take a look in the dictionary before you get your panties in a twist?
>>
If you're not creating something to share it why bother? Human accelerating his own extinction because ego wants to be lonely. Human hard cap.
>>
File: 1321442287058.jpg (70 KB, 1170x742)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1080864
>>
>>1077508
Honestly I wouldn't have bought most of the shit on my hard drive anyway. Either because it's not something I would spend $20 for or purchase a subscription for or because I couldn't. I have a shit ton of older anime that if I had to buy I wouldn't know where to start. Copyright is Jewish Capitalism on steroids.
>>
>>1077517
can you reshare please?
>>
One of the better position papers on the subject comes from Eric Flint talking about the Baen Free Library. Located Here:https://web.archive.org/web/20100102041103/http://baen.com/library/palaver6.htm
>>
>>1077508
>Piracy is illegal
Legality=/=Morality. In the eyes of the law, speeding to take a dying person to the hospital should still get you a speeding ticket. The law has no regard for context or circumstances--it's job is to serve as a guideline for keeping societies together. Societies are always changing and evolving, however, so if the guidelines don't change accordingly, they no longer have any value.
>Piracy is bad for production
There's no way to produce a product that someone won't try to take for free. Very rarely does that niche of people ever grow to such an enormous degree that it makes a dent in corporate profits. It's easy to point at piracy as a problem partially due to it's villifying name, but if lost profits is the problem, the distributors themselves are a much bigger thorn in a producer's side. A song being heard by 2000 people on spotify will send the artist back around $5, while the unreported remaining amount from ads and subscriptions go to the people who did nothing to create it. If 2000 people attend a concert, tickets costing $20 each, even after paying staff, food, power, and equipment, can you imagine the performers only getting $5? 10, or 100 people sneaking into that concert isn't going to steal from the artist. It might really annoy the person who does steal from the artist, since they don't get to thieve those little scoundrels' money

>There are legal alternatives to Piracy
Sure. Expensive or inconvenient ones. Making any decision requires balancing potential gain with risk of loss. There are always risks to breaking the law, but most people will voluntarily jaywalk across an empty street; the benefit of saving 20 seconds outweighs the risk of getting hit by a non-existent car. Guilt tripping or "Playing the Morality Card" only works if there is a clear history of risk, or the people you use it on trust your moral compass.
>>
>>1082912
Going back to the first claim, unforgiving laws made in a changing society will get ignored. Laws made to regulate the illegal copy of VHSes cannot reasonably regulate the non-physical copy of free-to-produce computer data, but largely the same laws are overseeing both. Most legal alternatives suffer from being rutted in the same mindset. These "legal alternatives" were built for a world without internet, and/or were haphazardly reworked to fit on a computer. The solution is not to sue everyone who infringes on copyright, but rather to invest more time in understanding how people use the internet, and change the laws to properly reflect that. Right now, the legal alternatives can't hope to compete with "quick, downloadable, and completely free." If the only punishment is being called a dirty, stinky pirate, cool. See how many people that sways to your side.

PS: Under current law, every CEO that owns a music, movie, or tv copyright could spend all their wealth on lawyers and still not get to most of the claims. If that don't sound like a broken system, then your inner ear is a broken system. I have zero evidence to back up the first sentence of this PS. Don't put either of these last sentences in your paper.
>>
>>1077508
Media is a form of art, without piracy much of this media would have been lost, some of it very important, it can only be saved through the effort of archivists of which the government and monopolistic corporations call "Pirates"

there is no such thing as internet piracy, we are not riding the waves of 1s and 0s to plunder a server, we are sharing material, most of it unknown and otherwise hard to find, and without our help, various chapters of our legacy would be lost forever
>>
File: 1559009526476.jpg (51 KB, 661x720)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1083594
Simple, Elegant. Speaks to man's desire to resist entropy at all costs
>>
>>1077508
In the most simple of terms, the people who oppose piracy claim that the product is being stolen, but this is not so. The data from the product has been copied. A copy is not the original product with all the IP and copyright laws intact on it and applicable. The copy is then distributed. The original product is not.

Piracy when it comes to big companies don't really matter because they can absorb the monetary blow to their finances. The financial offset does not affect whether or not the game or product is going to be shit or not. If they have a goal to make it a certain way, it will be met.

However, piracy when it comes to small companies and struggling entrepreneurs just ensures the market and people in general won't see anymore things from them. They need the capital to continue.

Piracy already is a legal thing. It's not the downloading that they get their panties in a twist over ultimately that can bring the fines, it's the distributing. But in general, as long as it's not a recently released product the watchdogs for the big companies that alert your ISP don't give a shit.
>>
>>1083712
>>
>>1082675
Here
https://files.catbox.moe/34dv0h.pdf
>>
>>1077508
OP I made this because I got tired of arguing with retards on /v/ that think that piracy is the most horrid thing a human bean can commit. Here it is for ya so you can maybe take inspiration from it.

We have this debate so many times. There are literal Fakku shills on /h/ and not even they are this vigilant about people pirating. Sometimes the game isn't available in your country. Sometimes the game is so old so even if you buy it none of the money goes to the dev and instead the publisher that killed it (Like V:TMB and Troika games, with Activision). Sometimes you don't want to risk spending money on a game that is bad so you pirate to see if you like it first. Sometimes, the ONLY way you can play it is by pirating it because someone was kind enough to upload it for game preservation purposes. I sincerely want you to tell me where I can purchase a legal copy of No One Lives Forever on PC because you currently can't because the game is stuck in IP hell, it's not even on GoG let alone Steam. Even if I buy that game on the PS2 console port, because it's second hand, NONE OF THAT MONEY WILL GO TO THE DEVS. Either way, Stop being such complete and total fucking faggots. There are justifiable reasons to pirate.
>>
>>1083712
I pirate too and I get the idea of "when you pirate you don't actually steal anything" but at the end of the day you are still circumventing a paywall.
>>
Try looking in Stephan Consella. He is probably one of the best in terms of debunking intellectual property as a means of actual property.

https://www.youtube.com/c/nskinsella
>>
File: 1622965112939.png (444 KB, 1154x615)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>>1077508
My view on piracy is that software companies are so obscenely greedy, no longer provide accurate information (full of bullshots, features that will be downgraded or cut and just straight up lying) on their products, and have totally corrupted software/computer industry journalism by their marketing spends and influencer access restrictions that it is now literally impossible to determine the value of computer products without pirating them yourself.
>piracy is illegal
That's not an argument worth more than a line or two, stating that many things are illegal that don't necessarily have to be, and that laws are not inherently good or bad just because they are laws
>bad for production
Irrelevant, piracy exists regardless of how good or bad productions are, and it is up to the free market to determine their value.
>Legal alternatives
In many cases these legal alternatives are geoblocked on domestic and/or international levels (eg blackout policy in UK Football, American Baseball), non-existent (abandonware), bad quality (eg in my local country certain programs on cable TV, if I don't want to watch it on the set top box, I can only watch it in 480p streaming online) or are not something that the user "owns" (eg, tv shows where rights are owned solely by a streaming company, and there is no availability of DVD/BR or to download a copy of the program).
>>
>>1083594
This, perfect.
>>
Piracy is only a problem when the owner of the copyright is "attacked" in some way. However, the owners of the copyright aren't the creators of the media, most of the times, and also, more often than not, greedy multinational corporations would hoard ips and would not allow for them to be shared as they should. So I practice some sort of "ethical" piracy: I'll only buy it if I know for sure that the money is going to people I want to support directly.
>>
>>1077794
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>1077508
bundle in the ethics of free and open source software while you are at it. i think the ideology of FOSS software and piracy both share some deeply rooted anti DRM/copyright ethos.
>>
File: 1542543718116.jpg (225 KB, 638x1068)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
my understanding is that its illegal to make a copy of a media that is copy righted and sell it for a profit, torrenting is making a copy of a media (that was already paid for) and giving it away for free.

also as far as production, some groups use priacy as a means for self promotion, tons of bands and other artist do this. some also us piracy as a form of preservation as some sites shut down and if it wasent for torrents and other forms of file sharing all that media would be lost.
>>
This is the only thread relating to piracy so I guess I'll ask here.
Anyone know where to find a cracked copy of Autodesk Inventor Professional?
>>
>>1086426
Ask from the other threads related to softwares or you could ask /g/ as well, but if you find nothing just search some on TPB or 1337

Here's some results from 1337
>https://1337x(.)to/search/Autodesk+Inventor+Professional/1/
>>
>>1077508
I'll try but you might want to find citations

>Piracy is Illegal
While this is true, people break the law for ethical reasons all the time. Perhaps it shouldn't be illegal.

I don't know about you, but when I pirate software and I like that software, I start to like the company and when I can afford, will pay for releases.

While it's true that legal alternatives, such as trial versions exist; many companies will not put out trial or demo versions of their products. A similar issue arises with 'abandonware', if you want to play "Megaman X" you need an emulator or even rarer, a copy of the game which can go for around five hundred dollars used. Many times re-releases of the games can be inferior in certain ways, such as the black visor issue from the gearbox port of Halo
>>
>>1080864
Retard moment.
>>
>>1077794
>>>/africa/
>>
>>1083594
/t/ is basically 4chan's lost media community if it wasn't filled with faggots that try to ruin searches
>>
>>1077508
>Piracy is Illegal
Not an argument. Morality and legality are separate.
Piracy is good for production. Lessening the financial motive for creation means that creators will not be those who are primarily motivated by profit, objectively increasing the quality of content. Furthermore, media is easily distributed digitally, and industry pimps who own the actual creators - and buy and sell them like livestock - are taking advantage of artificial scarcity that they have intentionally created in order to extract billions of dollars of value from consumers. Compensation for media-creation can easily be millions of times the compensation that others receive for equally difficult work as a result.

It would be desirable that content-owners not be compensated more than plumbers or carpenters and the like for the same time worked simply because they have access to digital markets with artificially-inflated prices. This could be achieved by selling access to content for pennies (or fractions of a cent) but still allowing creators access to the global digital market.
>Again, legality does not equal morality
>>
>>1077508
Society sucks. Piracy don't. The end.
>>
>>1085417
Is that a DIN cassette player?!? In 2015?!? I hope they delivered it to a museum.
>>
>>1077508
>Piracy is Illegal
who gives a shit
who gives a shit
who gives a shit
>>
File: 1606471551549.gif (795 KB, 245x168)
795 KB
795 KB GIF
>>1077508
>Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free
>>
>>1077508
>>Piracy is Illegal
So what?
>>Piracy is Bad for Production
How? If I'm pirating then it's because I didn't want to buy it anyway.
>>There are Legal Alternatives to Piracy
Like what? Paying for streaming services? That defeats the point of piracy
>>
Whats the legal alternative to play rare games/ arcade games/ games that never got released or were altered in their released form?
>>
File: 1573504052076.jpg (300 KB, 1280x1280)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>1077508
>>Piracy is Illegal
Mostly yes, but I think videos games and owning a physical thing vs owning a license is really more the core to the general piracy issue.
>>Piracy is Bad for Production
99% of most media is digital, literally what production? The jew funded, kiddie molestor camera sets in hollywood?
>>There are Legal Alternatives to Piracy
Yes and no. Sure streaming is a thing, but there are a lot of issues with that. Like netflix for example completely redubbing evangelion to the point of basically rewriting the script. So the 'alternative' is actually a diffrent work. There are a lot of other examples of a scene or two getting cut from x movie. But I think eva is a particularly egregious example. And that's all because no one wanted to pay a lawyer to sort out ownership/licensing. I think there very much a good argument for piracy effectively being a type of historical, digital archival endeavor at that point. There is also the general idea of exclusivity being anti consumer as fuck. I mean cable died because of that shit and staggered packages. And streaming is effective the same thing now. Since netflix blew up, everyone pulled their content and decided they wanted their own slice of the pie. Its going to suffocate and die just like cable did.

TLDR: focus more on the archival aspect and then terrible anti-consumer practices, to the point of piracy being more easy/convenient. Assuming this is a persuasive type paper.
>>
Piracy is a service problem and there is no real reason for anything to be out of print in an era where you can just store it on a server somewhere.
if I can't get a legal copy of some old ass game from the 2000's or some TV show that only aired in Japan then the publishers clearly don't want my money.
good fucking luck finding a good chunk of Nintendo's backlog on their online service.
>>
>>1091029
>Piracy is a service problem

This is the key right there. Look for studies on behavior relating to piracy, would make a good source.

I imagine (but have not personally checked) that you'll find music piracy dropped after iTunes and further after streaming services took hold as they contain the vast majority of what the vast majority would want to listen to.

I also imagine you'd find that Netflix initially reduced piracy as it had pretty much everything you could want. Now that every company wants their own streaming service I imagine you'll find video piracy on an uptick. I know I personally pirate more now than I did when Netflix had the movie I wanted as opposed to some crappy look-alike they made in house. Couple that with multiple subscriptions quickly adding up and the shows coming and going from services and I bet video piracy is up.

Might be interesting to look into the subscription angle on software as well, I don't like paying monthly for software that runs on my hardware, and that's pushed me more into pirating the creative suite rather than buying it (which I used to abuse the lax "student" rules to buy instead).
>>
>>1091036
piracy is actually partly a lost art thanks to services like Netflix and Gamepas.
I know various normies that just never learned it because all the stuff they want is on Steam or Netflix.
>>
File: 1621835254398.png (286 KB, 771x959)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>1077508
>Piracy is illegal
whatever nerd, so is sodomy in some states. That doesn't stop me either.
>Piracy is bad for blah blah blah
Prove it motherfucker, then if (and only if) you manage that, then you can try to convince me to give a shit. Even if it were bad for something or another, it's the simple reality of the situation, tragedy of the commons and all that shit. Adapt or die bitch.
> There are legal alternatives to piracy/privacy
let's all take a moment to raise a glass to how how little that matters, I do what I want because a pirate is free. Even if the legal alternatives didn't suck and spy on your and cost a shitload, at the end of the day piracy isn't just free in the sense that it doesn't cost money, it's free in the sense that it's unburdened by constraints that aren't inherent to the system.
Even if your legal avenue to getting what I want doesn't totally suck, it's going to be more limited than the total freedom of piracy, and it seems like most legal methods that start out not totally sucking nose dive into being shit eventually. Like the whole thing with Netflix giving you lots of movies conveniently without a huge price, then a bunch of companies took their movies and shows off it and made you buy those from them separately. You know what won't have that happen because it literally can't have that happen? The Bittorrent protocol.
At the end of the day you can't stop piracy, and adding one more person to the swarm won't make any problems it might cause somehow worse, so why not join us?
>>
File: smug.jpg (139 KB, 676x656)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>1091036
>>1091039
Piracy isn't a problem, it's the solution. If piracy is becoming a lost art then teach them the ways.

The internet isn't srs business, regardless of how much normalfags pretend it is. You can't hurt anyone by not buying something, that idea just doesn't make sense.
If I can get books and movies for free by going to the library, why the hell would I pay someone for them? If I can get them for free somewhere, does it matter specifically where I get them? If we accept that libraries for books and movies are ethical, why would we limit it to just those forms of data? I could print a book with the source code for a copyrighted video game, or even the compiled binaries, it's the same information. It can't be the format of the data that is the ethical boundary, because I've never heard an argument that a library having movies on VHS is more ethical than having them on DVD. Is the problem ripping out copy protection software? Because if it's running on my computer I'll do whatever the fuck I want, fuck you if you think you can stop me. If piracy is unethical, libraries are too.
Even the idea of intellectual property is bullshit, you can't own an idea or information, any attempt to own an idea always leads to nonsense because the idea doesn't make sense. The way to make money from a good idea is to use it, not to hoard it. If you can't make money from your idea when other people can use it too then you probably implemented it poorly, and trying to force people to use your shitty implementation instead of doing it better is exactly the sort of mindset that leads to people just pirating your shit.
>>
>>1091707
Piracy is the solution on the consumer side, but that's not the way the business we're pirating from see it, and that's why the paid so much for the laws that are currently in place.
>>
>>1091739
That doesn't matter. They can't stop us, and when they try they just make us stronger. The "business" folks are fighting for stupid things for stupid reasons, and they can't win because that's just not how the math works out. As long as we have general purpose computers and the internet, we'll have the ability to pirate shit, and it'll only get easier. Nobody is going to get rid of the internet, and the cat's out of the bag on turing complete machines. So the question isn't "is piracy ethical?" or "how do we stop piracy?" because those are stupid questions. A better question is "how do we make money without having a monopoly on an idea?" which is also more interesting. The argument of the people who can't handle piracy is to give up and demand everyone cut off their own feet so they can keep winning the race. So maybe it's a better idea to introduce some non retarded suggestions to the discussion.
btw I'm not a consumer and you shouldn't be either, it's such a stupid fucking word.
>>
https://mises.org/library/against-intellectual-property-0
>>
File: BRAApP.jpg (463 KB, 1824x971)
463 KB
463 KB JPG
>>1091767
whoops I forgot to post an irrelevant picture so that people actually look at my post
>>
>>1091768
kek

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.