[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/t/ - Torrents

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 116 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1623498159708.jpg (1.49 MB, 4000x3000)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
Post hardware that you are using for torrenting.
Here is mine :
- Pi 4
- WD Blue 750GB

>I was thinking of replacing two pi at home with an intel nuc, do you know the low end nuc consumption? Like the NUC5CPYH
>>
Is there some guide on torrenting on a raspberry pie out there? Feel like my raspberry pie is being underused, so it would be kind if u were to spoonfeed me
>>
>>1084874
how do people use 750 gb drives when some torrents can be terrabites big?
I use a 4 slot drive bay with 2 currently empty and 2 filled with 8 terra
>>
>>1084913

in my opinion the best way to do this is to run OMV on a Pi4 4GB, running a dockercontainer with qbittorrent.
this way you can acces your downloaded torrents in your file manager.
there are tons of guides on yt
>>
I use my main pc and only sneed during the day, I dot use a vpn.
>>
why use a Pi instead of a desktop PC?
>>
>>1085033
power consuption and room space basically, also it can seed 24/7 almost flawlessly while people have their desktops/laptops free for other tasks
>>
>>1084874
Why did post this again
>>
>>1084914
Entirely depends on what you're getting and willing to put up with, I have 90s films in 720p for example.
>>
>>1084960
Thank you, appreciate it
>>
>>1085052
Becuz Pi's are sick shit.
I have two zeros and a 400. Buying a zero 2 today!
>>
What exactly are the benefits of using a Pi? Why not just use a regular laptop/desktop?
>>
>>1085365
you can let it run 24/7
save resources on the machine you're using
save power (pi4 uses max 15w where laptops/desktops use between 40-300w+)
pies are cheap so easily replaceable
>>
>>1084874
Amd 1090t running TrueNAS core with 4x4TB WD Reds running in raidz1. It's my home theater pc, personal cloud storage, video surveillance offsite backup and much more.
>>
>>1084874
>>1084874
I'm planning on getting a PCI and just plugging in a couple 4gb drives. Right now I have like 3.256 TB.
>>
File: 1625872349949.jpg (64 KB, 1180x585)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1084874
I rent a remote server which has a 1Gbps connection which I've got connected to my encrypted google drive
>>
File: 1609071222190.png (845 KB, 886x720)
845 KB
845 KB PNG
i have a thinkpad T450s with a i5 and 12gb of ram, a couple HDDs ranging from 300gb to 500gb, and a protonvpn account
>>
File: mfw-devilish.jpg (51 KB, 500x500)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
> mfw i convince my parents to buy me an i7 16gb ram optiplex from ebay so they can access my plex server 24/7
> now I also have a 24/7 seedbox running wireguard with ~300/100 mbps up/down
>>
>>1084874
I use a 16gb usb key
>>
File: IMG_20211117_013858.jpg (3.14 MB, 4032x3024)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
Poweredge R730 w/ MD1200 disk shelf and 12 4tb Ultrastars.
>>
File: nometa_1.jpg (351 KB, 1024x768)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Curb pickup, its a Athlon ii X4 3 core with 3gb ram.
Bought this case for $15 from marketplace.
Installed Ubuntu and bought 3 4tb wd in raid 0 costed around $300, $92 each. Also 2tb iron Wolf $60 and adata 256GB $64 as boot and an old hdd 650GB salavged from old laptop.
I install a wifi card $30, 3 fans to cool the hdd $22.
At last have IVPN ($60 1year) runing with qbittorrent.
Also rate my cable management.
>>
>>1089112
>Poweredge R730
as a file server or just primarily for torrenting?
>>
>>1089112
It's also a fileserver and handles stuff like Plex as well.
>>
bump
>>
>>1084874
Lol
>>
>>1084874
Brainlet here. Why do you need raspberry pi for torrenting ? Is it because you download shady torrents all time and dont want to infect your pc ?
>>
>>1086715
What a beautiful portrait of a handsome young man!
>>
>>1089302
Plex is kind of ass ngl
>>
>>1090412
so you can download/seed 24/7 without having to leave ur pc on. also it draws max 15w so you dont have a huge powerbill.
its easy to set up and inexpensive
>dont want to infect your pc
depends on your OS
>>
>>1084874
currently it is just my school laptop but im setting up my old pc (i7 4790k & 32gb of ram(totally overkill)) as a torrenting server, need a new power-supply and some more storage
>>
>>1084874
i have a dell precision t5600 i got from an old job. id like to upgrade to something more power efficient but just haven't gotten around to it. it also hosts all my nas shares, jellyfin, and a few other odds and ends
>>
How do you guys get your media to your nas? I have a T420 with a seagate 2tb HDD. I am copying/moving over the network it takes hours to move a big show.
>>
>>1091733
What is your hardware setup? What are you using to copy? What are you copying?

If you're using a wireless transfer, that alone will bog you down. Connect over ethernet. If you're running an older router (or switch if the NAS or computer is connected to one) it might not support gigabit speeds. Its also worth asking how many devices are connected to the network and what those devices are also doing.

If you're transferring a lot of small-size high quantity files without compressing them first that will take a while too.

How many gigs are you transferring anyways?

I don't know how experienced you are so these questions might seem retardedly simple to you.
>>
>>1091733
wouldn't it make more sense to torrent from your nas?
>>
I recently got a Pi3B+ running with an externally powered HDD, and set it up with RDP.
I can't get qbittorrent to run at startup yet, but I'm working on it.
I just dropped some private tracker stuff on the pi and still get hit and runs up to 1.0 ratio with my desktop when I'm on it.
Is there any advantage to the 4 over the 3? I wonder what I'm missing out on, but I know my electricity bill is going down now that I don't have a gaming PC running 24/7.
>>
>>1091841
pi 4 has a slightly faster cpu and has more ram than the pi 3b+
pi3 has 1 full hdmi while the pi4 has 2x micro hdmi
also pi4 requires a usb c psu at 5V 3A (15w) and depending on which revision you get it is kinda picky on what poweradapter you use (pi official power adapter works on all revisions)
if you're going to run more ram-heavy services, go for the pi4
>>
>>1091853
forgot to add that the pi4 has gigabit ethernet and 2 usb3.0 ports
>>
>>1090428
What's a good alternative?
>>
>>1091855
jellyfin
>>
File: 1625282011883.gif (785 KB, 179x179)
785 KB
785 KB GIF
>>1091856
Thank you.
>>
>>1084874
I'm looking into building a HTPC/torrent box using the NUC7CJYHN (with a 5TB HDD, 8GB RAM) and running Mint Linux (qbittorrent + kodi always running).

Was hoping for a price drop on black Friday. No such luck. Fingers crossed for Monday.

I'm a Linux noob, so I'm hoping I won't run into many issues. VNC remote access shouldn't be too difficult to set up, but I've only had horrible experiences with Linux usability in the past. Will probably end up pulling my hair out again trying to get some missing drivers working through the command line or some other bullshit.
>>
File: nas.jpg (1.72 MB, 4032x3024)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>1091815
I am using a T420 with linux mint I am copying with krusader I am constantly transferring shows from 1-25gigs over Ethernet at about 30mbps download. My NAS is running truenas core with plex. I am copying video files MKV. I just got my NAS setup yesterday so I am a noob
>>
>>1091880
Sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly, you are getting a 30mbps transfer rate to your NAS? What router are you using, can you look at the speeds on that? And your NAS, make sure the network card drivers are installed/updated correctly since you had just set it up. It could be running some generic drivers
>>
>>1091880
this could be due the videoformat if im correct
>>
>>1091858
np
>>
>>1084960
How do you incorporate a VPN into this setup? I'm running Mullvad through Wireguard but I can't access the OMV files over my network while the VPN is on and can't turn it off if it's headless.
>>
>>1091996
>How do you incorporate a VPN into this setup?
i have nordvpn and use their proxy server. its cheaper than mullvad
>https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Proxy/1087802472/Proxy-setup-on-qBittorrent.htm
this way only qbittorrent will run with over a proxy

>can't turn it off if it's headless
cant you just ssh into your pi and disable the vpn?
>>
I just got a pi4 but have no fucking clue how to set up mullvad on it kek
>>
>>1092812
install gentoo
>>
I want to set up a seedbox but I have two big holdups. 1. Will I get a letter from my isp or scomo? 2. Will I notice it on my power bill?
>>
>>1092994
>Will I get a letter from my isp or scomo?
depends entirely on what you torrent. when it comes to copyrighted material its either a hit or miss if your ip gets detected.
in general your ISP wont care that you torrent, but depending on where you live, a DMCA troll can detect your ip by joining the torrent and log ip's that connect to them.
with those collected ip's they go to ISP's and ask them for their customer info so they can send a letter, fine or sue them.
where i live downloading copyrighted material is forbidden by law but not enforced.

>Will I notice it on my power bill?
depends on your setup. using your ultra gaming rig yes, but using a pi no
>>
>>1084874
T430
OS Ubuntu
RAM 16GB
System 500Gb SSD
Data 500Gb HDD
Gigabit LAN network
- torrent
- home cloud
- media center
- development testing
- IPFS node
>>
bump
>>
>>1092812
just follow a tutorial to install it with openvpn, its really easy
>>
>>1091861

I'm running a nuc for homeassistant, I really like raspberry pi got a few motioneye cams running on them, but not for HA or any kind of server. Weak point here is the sd card. If you run it on Rpi, move your boot/os to usb

Mint is a great os for learning linux, but for server I wouldn't use it. I'd go for OMV.

Been using linux bout 20y now, using debian as desktop os, even gamed on it few years back. I just had to install a windows again last year cause I'm doing unreal engine courses
>>
>>1094811
NUC7CJYHN guy here. I built the system I talked about here earlier, and it all worked out great.

I didn't know this, but apparently 2.5" drives come in two different thicknesses nowadays, so I had to get rid of the included drive cage, because the 5TB drive I bought could not fit inside it. Without the drive cage there was enough space, albeit now I have a free dangling HDD inside the NUC, which isn't a big deal to me. Internal temperatures are fine.

No problems running Mint so far. This has been my first Linux experience where everything just worked fine on first install, and I did not have to scour forums for obscure homebrew solutions to missing drivers.

I still have to set up VNC with SSH so I can control qbittorrent remotely. I'm sure a Linux nerd would tell me to just use rtorrent and control everything via the terminal, but I'm a noob and I have no actual intentions of "learning Linux", so I prefer to keep things GUI based. Also still have to set up Samba shares.

There's a little bit of fan noise from the NUC, but nothing too noticeable.

If I had the budget I might have gone with more HDDs and some kind of software RAID config with a more server/NAS oriented OS, but for what I actually wanted, and for the money I wanted to spend, this has accomplished everything I needed it to: I get to start farming bonus points on my private trackers again and watch content on my TV all with negligible electricity consumption.
>>
>>1095256
>2.5" drives come in two different thicknesses nowadays
so do 3.5"
>No problems running Mint so far. This has been my first Linux experience. I'm a noob and I have no actual intentions of "learning Linux", so I prefer to keep things GUI based. Also still have to set up Samba shares.
why didn't you go with something like OMV? its debian based and easier to setup. it has a simple web UI where you can manage your needs and install your services on docker, portainer

https://www.openmediavault.org/
>>
>>1095262
Because it's not what I'm used to using, and I want something that's as close as possible to what I'm already used to using.
>>
>>1095262
>>1095267
Also I said that this has been my first Linux experience which hasn't been an insufferable nightmare, not that this has been my first Linux experience.
>>
>>1095267
>>1095269
do what works for you, just letting you know that there are easier ways
>>
>>1095276
Your suggestion is appreciated, but "easier" is a subjective judgment
>>
Any use NanoPi NEO3 for torrents ?
>>
>>1095284
dont those overheat all the time?
>>
>>1084874
Shout out to my Raspberry Pi /t/ bros!

OP, get yourself an Argon One M.2 case!

https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-m-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-4.html
>>
>>1096380
i think you're better off buying a large hdd.
hdd's are cheaper and ssd's die faster because of torrenting
>>
>>1091996
use this docker container
https://hub.docker.com/r/haugene/transmission-openvpn
>>
>>1096438
>ssd's die faster because of torrenting
Not quite true, actually if you are mostly seeding ssd's are going to last much longer than a hdd because the wear while reading data is practically non existant
>>
>>1096447
>wear while reading data is practically non existant
this is true but lets assume space isnt a problem, the constant writing from downloading large amount of files will kill it faster compared to a hdd
>>
>>1086715
What does this remote server cost?
>>
>>1096750
https://seedbox.io/
>>
>>1096750
Just go with a VPS and install transmission or rutorrent, then use your server for other things, better than a shitty seedbox
>>
>>1096637
Not much of a problem if you fill the SSD with data once and then just seed that stuff for forever.
>>
>>1084913
I run qbittorrent nox for torrents and access them with minidlna and nfs. minidlna is a really useful little upnp streaming server that id highly recommend, works really well off of a pi and any device that supports upnp can stream from it
>>
DN2820FYKH NUC from newegg. I wanted one for cheap but feel like I still overpayed a little(~250 after tax).

Celeron processor 8 gb ram 128gb ssd. 4 tb external for torrents

Running headless debian with dockers for home assistant, qbittorrent, plex and a simple httpd server. Plex runs ok but I don't even use it that much.
>>
File: 1612831249792.png (167 KB, 1700x410)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
>>1084874
>>
I was recently given a pretty decent laptop by my company to use for home office work. It was locked down and only had the bare necessities on it. You couldnt install any apps without admin rights. Today I have found out I can circumvent the lock by using portableapps.com, which lets me run utorrent from a plugged in USB stick. So once the HDD in my curent laptop (which is on its last legs) has given out completely, I will be torrenting from my free work laptop, LOL
>>
DS918+ with 18TB of RAID storage. Worst thing is I'm seeding almost nothing
>>
File: 1614696166068.jpg (122 KB, 720x960)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1098279
don't do this!!!!
your company laptop probably has monitoring software installed so IT can track what app you use and if they are work related.
also qbittorrent is better than utorrent
>>
>>1098279
Surely, nothing can go wrong
>>
>>1098292
>>1098313
Its a shit job with shit pay, and it would be very, very hard to find a replacement for me. If they fire me they will be in much bigger trouble than I. I dont worry, LOL.
>>
Vivo x50 lite with a 400gb sd card and 128gb of inbuilt because I'm insane
>>
>>1084874
I have a PI 4, and a WD element 1To.
I use it for torrenting, I also use it as a samba server and the wifi antenna as a hotspot.
The 1Gb connexion is put to good used.
Also any good NAS to recommend ?
>>
>>1100149
i also have a pi4 but with a cheap 1tb seagate for torrents and pihole
>and the wifi antenna as a hotspot.
as in an accespoint to your network or to connect to the pi for filetransfer?
>>
>>1100153
Yes, my study is in an extension of the house and the wall are too thick for wifi to pass.
So that way I can access my shared folder (where my torrents files are located) and access internet.
And since all the house is equipped with 1Gb ethernet, it fast enough not to bother me.
I fucked up my network installation when I tried to make a hotspot, I was clever enough to do an image of the SD card, but not enough to make the partition of the OS smaller than 64Go.
>>
>>1096444
I just learned how to use Docker yesterday, and this image looks great!
>>
>>1100156
isn't it easier to take an older gigabit router and configure it to an accespoint?
the pi4's wificard caps out at 54mbit
>>
>>1084913
>>1084960
>install any client without docker aids
>access files via sftp
it can be so easy anon
>>
>>1100212
>the pi4's wificard caps out at 54mbit
Well it's enough for me, and it cost nothing so it's really the best sollution.
>>
>>1100324
i have to add that the speeds can vary depending on what channel you are but default is 54mbit

>>
bump
>>
File: 1636139237999.png (747 KB, 1366x768)
747 KB
747 KB PNG
An old laptop that's been banged around quite a bit (literally dropped down the stairs). Some screws are missing, alongside keyboard keys.
Slapped an ssd on it, an extra RAM card from a defunct machine, and an external 2TB drive for seeding tucked away in a cupboard and it trudges along nicely and quietly.
>>
>>1102081
"Hopes and Dreams"
I didn't know you can rename the recycle bin.
>>
>>1102195
probably a renamed shortcut
>>
>>1088889
Cheap for them and for you as buying a decent machine is all good. Well done!
>>
>>1085210
Not sure about the newest model but they had horrible cpu power and write speeds. Good luck hashing and moving data up or down at the same time.
>>
>>1103103
> Good luck hashing and moving data up or down at the same time
Thanks bro!
Not a bad lil 15$ computer!
>>
File: omega2.png (3.61 MB, 4116x2066)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB PNG
This + 250GB hdd for linux isos
I have another cheap seedbox for movies etc
>>
I was using put.io for awhile, but now I have a Raspberry Pi NAS that I'd like to set up for torrenting. Things are pretty strict where I'm living, so I'd definitely need a VPN. Thinking to set it up myself on a VPS (seems to work out cheaper, and is more trustworthy).
Has anyone else gone this route?
>>
>>1105405
i have a pi4 running OMV and installed qbittorrent in portainer. so far as i know you can use a vpn but for now i use a proxy
>>
bump sdfghjk
>>
>>1084913
I use this shit on my pi zero, i'm not usually torrenting stuff but I had some big downloads on humblebundle i wanted to run over night and this is stupid easy. And i bet ppl will tell me why this was a shit setup.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-deluge/
>>
is a pi 400 okay for torrenting, also how would I power my internal hdd drive with a pi4 setup?
>>
>>1107097
>is a pi 400 okay for torrenting
yes, but i recommend you go for a pi4 instead of a 400 since you probably will run it headless so the added keyboard of the 400 seems useless
>also how would I power my internal hdd drive with a pi4 setup?
get a harddrive enclosure. 2.5 inch drives will get enough power over usb and 3.5 inch drives need an extra poweradapter.
>>
How to backup transmission-daemon .torrent files ?
>>
>>1107380
?? wdym you just keep them saved
>>
>>1105460
how does one get proxies, literally just the first result that appears on google? or is it like a vpn where you have to pay someone?
>>
>>1108619
there are free proxies you can use but those are usually not reliable and or safe.
vpn services like PIA, nordvpn offer proxies next to their vpn-service.
there is some shit going on with nord where they now agreed to give the authorities customer info if aksed so i suggest not going with them for now.
>>
>>1098342
Heh, to be honest, I support a shit client that pays shit - Owner feels the less he pays, the harder the employee will work. This would be instant termination as it flies against company "values" and if the place burned, he'd be good with it. Logic often does not apply to handling employees.
>>
BUMPASFASFAF
>>
bvmp
>>
>>1085014
masterrace
>>
>>1098279
just install a new drive? if they complain, go talk to a lawyer; there's probably some law out there that considers this a type of spyware. Some time ago I read about a case that basically said that, but with school laptops instead.
>>
Currently using a 2011 mac mini with a thunderbolt 2 dock for usb3 and a orico 5 bay dock. The drive dock keeps shutting down and and at this point im going to switch over to one of those cm4 + sata io boards with a spare pc power supply when cm4s become available again
>>
>>1085033
Thin clients are complete, cheap and easy to deal with. Pi users just need to avoid buyers remorse but by the time you make a Pi functional you're into it for thin client money for meh results.
>>
>>1091861
>VNC remote access shouldn't be too difficult to set up, but I've only had horrible experiences with Linux usability in the past.

NoMachine shits all over VNC. I use it throughout my LAN so everything can RDP into everything else. It's free and Argonne National Labs has portable players if want.

https://www.gmca.aps.anl.gov/remote/players/
>>
>>1084874
at least use ethernet op
>>
File: IMG_20220215_021312.jpg (1004 KB, 2268x3223)
1004 KB
1004 KB JPG
>>1113951
I will switch to a NUC
>>
File: setup.jpg (330 KB, 717x956)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
got this dell optiplex from work
runs
qbitorrent
Nicotine+(Soulseek client)
youtube-dlp (channel archiving)

SynologyNAS which I just added expansion unit to for Christmas. Drives ontop are backups of some data
>>
>>1089142
far from the worse cable management that I've seen. $92 for 4TB seems like a lot seeing that I bought used 4TB Seagate Constellations drives for $35, I am yet to test those so I'm not sure how reliable are these but you should probably look into eBay for your next purchase because even for new drives $92 for 4TB is still way too much since the barracuda are going for $70 on my local microcenter
>>
>>1089112
just got into home labs myself and waiting for it to arrive, opted for a HP DL380 G9. Went with HP since they looked cheaper on ebay than their Dell counterparts. Was also thinking about a drive array, how did those work for you? Any hiccups? Wondering if Raid controllers are going to play nicely or not
>>
>>1090428
>>1091856
Kind of disappointed on how bloated Plex is with all these shows they offer and always pushing for a sale. I heard about Jellyfin but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is it really just a copycat of Plex? Does it work well?
>>
>>1114155
Forgot to add that its $92 CAD not USD. But i will definitely look at ebay. I don't want to buy used because risk of failure is higher. I'm starting to run out of storage and probably build a new rig.
>>
>>1114141
please don't tell me you let those run on the carpet.
recently had to clean out my dads synology 2bay from all the dust, which was a pain in the ass
>>
>>1114225
just moved and yup. no fans below them though so not too bad but they do get dusty I just have to regularly clean. I wanna buy one of those half racks on wheels
>>
>>1114393
>no fans below them though so not too bad but they do get dusty
they pull air from the front and if you only knew how much dust is held by carpets.
i don't have carpets anymore but keep my equipment on cabinet shelves anyway
>>
>>1085210
I'n running hyperHDR, an ambilight diy thing, on a zero 2w. For LG oled's there is PicCap which bypasses the hyperion need for a capture card
I'm rather surprised how big of an upgrade the zero 2 is versus the zero
>>
>>1114169
>I don't want to buy used because risk of failure is higher
I understand that, but thats exactly why they are so cheap, you buy 2 for the price of a new one so you just duble down and have several for spares. If nothing happens, then now you have way more storage than you would have otherwise with new drives, it really is a risk reward
>>
>>1105386
very cute
>>
File: wadsa.png (848 KB, 1336x800)
848 KB
848 KB PNG
ive been wanting to buy a nas server, exact pic related (ds920+)
>how many plex streams at once can it handle?
>can i dump and load my steam games off of it?
>same with my roms?
mostly retroarch and pcsx2
>does my father love me?
thanks in advanced
>>
>>1116719
>how many plex streams at once can it handle?
if im correct it has a 4core intel mobile cpu. its more powerfull than the arm cpu's but not a powerhouse. i think it should do 4 streams at 720p just fine
>can i dump and load my steam games off of it?
technically yes but i would not suggest doing it because off latency and random read/write. you're better off getting a large hdd and put your library there and use the nas as an archive for your games.
>same with my roms?
same
>>
>>1084874
just builded my new homeserver/seedbox to replace my current pi setup.
>specs:
- the motherboard has an onboard cpu: AMD PRO A4-3350B with 4cores
- 8gb ddr3
- small ssd for the os
- 5tb storage (i'm going to expand this in the future)
>>
>>1116719
>ive been wanting to buy a nas server, exact pic related (ds920+)
>>how many plex streams at once can it handle?
https://nascompares.com/2020/06/22/synology-ds920-nas-plex-4k-1080p-and-720p-tests-h-264-hevc/
https://nascompares.com/2020/07/30/synology-nas-plex-driver-fix-for-h-256-hevc-ds920-ds220-ds720-and-ds420/
That said, I run my Plex off a dedicated PC sitting next to my NAS. It's one of those HP boxes that was $125 for a while and has a QuickSync CPU, but I upgraded to a better CPU for more streams because I usually have at least 3-4 people streaming. Running Plex off a separate box gives you the ability to upgrade that CPU or memory or run other stuff the NAS can't really do.
>>can i dump and load my steam games off of it?
Steam will let you back up to anything, but you're not going to want to play your games off a NAS, it'll take you ten minutes to load a level. However, if you do go with a dedicated box, you could set up a Steam Cache and then you only have to download your games once:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/building-a-local-steam-caching-server-to-ease-the-bandwidth-blues/
>>same with my roms?
>mostly retroarch and pcsx2
You can back up roms to whatever you want, but they're small enough I just use a USB stick that's plugged into the back of my Shield where I do my emu stuff.
>>does my father love me?
Very much, anon.
>thanks in advanced
No problem, son. Your mother says it's time for lunch.
>>
bump
>>
>>1088889
Need for wire guard?
>>
>>1088889
why i7/16gb ? Too much

>>1121696
client or server ? the client works perfectly on my pi, just install wireguard-tools since wireguard is already integrated in the kernel
>>
>>1084874
I use a laptop that I boot from tails, then a public connection to get away from the isp shit and then download them to a external SATA usb drive
>>
>>1118212
>but you're not going to want to play your games off a NAS, it'll take you ten minutes to load a level

If you're plugged in to your NAS through ethernet on a standard gigabit link, it will essentially be an external hard drive limited to 128 MB/s reads which is pretty much the same speeds you'd be getting with a 7200RPM HDD.

Should be fine for single player games.
>>
bumpino so can read later
>>
OrangePi PC with Armbian as a qbittorrent/aMule box, in theory. Just today I wanted to upgrade from a meager 8GB SD to a 16GB A1 but managed to fuck up something during first boot and have to reflash the SD again. Also, I'm getting old and I forgot how messy the amule-daemon installation is on command line... I'd like things to be easier.
>>
>>1085063
Man, are you sharing? I miss the early 2000, when you can find entire, good quality movies on 300/600mb, (divx ftw!) (I even found a batchj of movies formated for the PSP once, 60mb per file),,, I hate the BD dump, too much fucking space...
>>
>>1126506
>I even found a batchj of movies formated for the PSP once, 60mb per file
i remember playing movies on my DS lite with a R4
>>
File: 20220328_134403.jpg (719 KB, 1982x1116)
719 KB
719 KB JPG
I just moved recently so I haven't had time to cable manage yet, but here's my setup:

>Rpi 4 in an Argon case OC to 2Ghz, connected to 16TB dock, shared through Samba, running Plex, Tautulli, Jackett, Sonarr, Radarr, and Ombi
>Rpi4 in Canakit case, connected to Mullvad through OpenVPN and running qbittorrent-nox
>>
bomp
>>
>>1127032
wish I had a pi4 :(
>>
>>1084914
tf are you downloading that takes 1 terabyte?
i only keep thing i know i will rewatch otherwise they get instadeleted the second im done with it
>>
>>1131354
torrents are not just there for movies and shows. eg the canadian trucker collection torrent is over 3tb
>>
>>1127032
>Sonarr, Radarr
I never got the point of these and all the other "arr" ones. Can't you just add an RSS feed to a torrent client and set for automatic download? And if you want to download something just go on rarbg, search and click the magnet link.
>>
I use a nuc and a 1 tb drive.

I am not seeding anything yet tho, was using a pi4 for it, does the job pretty well.

Running nginx and some containers, using jellyfin, plex looked like shit with their movie option all are some crappy indian movies.
>>
File: Untitled.png (46 KB, 1094x512)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
250 gig NVMe + 1tb 2.5" laptop HDD. I've been using a transmission docker that runs everything through a proxy.

there's probably better hardware to use than this but I use what I got
>>
>>1093072
>IPFS node
Bless you anon
>>
>>1084874
Got two of that shit and installed linux on it. It's supposed to be hard drive you can only access online through WD website, kek. So, got two of these last year during amazon prime days, 9to (WD red) x 2, for around $100 each. Space has never been a problem since.
>>
>>1084874
I got tired of my raspberry setup, so I built a "NAS" on an old haswell era SSF PC with some dualcore pentium, which runs at like 10-15 watts under load and mirrored 4TB HDDs for storage
It runs plain Arch with Transmission on it and use ssh(fs)+mpv to view my stuff.
Arguably, Arch was not the wisest choice for a server, but i only have good things to say about it so far. Definitely much smoother and more stable than my former raspberry thing. I've been operating this setup now for almost 2 years and I am quite happy with happy with it.
I also have a wireguard tunnel to a server with public IPv4 running stunnel, which provides the transmission control interfece over TLS and I have that set up on my phone in Transdroid, so I can queue up new torrents whenever. Very comfy, can recommend.
>>
>>1114159
>Is it really just a copycat of Plex?
Yeah, pretty much but Jellyfin is open source. Id say jellyfin is a little less polished than Plex though.
>>
>>1084874
2 tb wd hdd + omv on rp4
do you think it's a good start in some small hoarding?
i know that is not the capacity required for some hoarding but this is i have at the point so....yeah
>>
>>1131495
Sonarr/Radarr let you search and choose what shows/movies you want to download, and you can do it remotely. If I'm at work or a friend's house and I'm bullshitting and remember some random movie and go "hey, I wanna watch that" I can download it and add it to my Plex from my phone.
>>
>>1084874
What OS do you use?
>>
anybody have any advice for using a pi as a router to get rid of ads?
>>
>>1134787
>>>/g/
you should not make a pi into a router if its only purpose is to get rid of ads.
flash ubuntu server ARM LTS onto a sd and instal pihole.
this will block ads on dns level. you can take it a step further and install unbound along it and turn it into your personal selfhosted DNS server.
https://youtu.be/FnFtWsZ8IP0?t=294
>>
>>1134835
are there other advantages to using a pi as a router? thanks for the help!
>>
>>1134385
Thing is, that can be done with a torrent client that supports RSS, so it's less bloat.
>>
bump.
what encryption does the chain coffee stores use?
>>
>>1138280
usually its an open network with a portal having to accept terms etc
>>
>>1084874
I torrent from my iPhone
>>
>>1084874
I just use my pc. I have 2 3tb drives in raid 0. And before you lecture me about data loss, I know. I keep backups.
>>
wait am i supposed to use a vpn
>>
File: hi.png (720 KB, 800x682)
720 KB
720 KB PNG
>>1140274
Only if you don't want angry letters from your ISP. Otherwise, nobody cares.

Here's my question:

I'm using a raspberry pi 3 with Raspbian OS and qbittorrent (took me 8 hours to set up btw). As I add more and more torrents the whole thing gets slower and more unstable. It likes to crash a lot and have other random errors. I have 75 torrents running and aim to acquire a thousand. Anything I can do?
>>
>>1140659
my guesses are its cpu and IO limmited. some here upgraded to a NUC or something similair. i used to run qbittorrent on a pi4 but later upgraded it to a onboard x86 4core cpu board which has been running great so far
>>
>>1140659
"downgrade" the os to something terminal-based, where you can ssh into
from what I've read, qbit isn't the best for large amounts of consecutive torrents (someone correct me if wrong), consider switching clients to again, something that'll only run on terminal, with a web-based remote gui
>>
>>1140659
OP here, install raspios + transmission-daemon
>>
>>1142473
214 torrents
>>
File: desktop.jpg (313 KB, 1643x1232)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
I should prob work on having a separate system for my torrents and usenet's at this point but I never turn my pc off unless im updating stuff...

Anywho 16tb of raid storage using wd reds though that's mostly for the automated stuff which is usenet's and not torrents.

a 2tb ssd for games and torrents, and a 1tb ssd for windows and programs.

Ryzen 5950x.

Everything from qB is filtered through PIA split tunnel with the advanced kill switch on and the Network interface in qB settings set to the network adapter created by PIA.

I have some oldish hardware and a meshify C case I could turn into a sperate system but that case has negative space for hdd's unless I pull out the velcro and slap them on top of the power supply shroud.
>>
>>1084874
Mother fucker you serious?
I got a 14tb drive for movies, a 14tb drive for porn, and a 12tb drive for TV.
>>
>Pi 4
>WD 1TB
>>
>>1131354
once you grow up to be a big boi you will realize some things especially data is valuable and needs to be archived in order to protect it from censors or luddites that want to distort history and change the written records of said events.
that said 750gb is barely enough for a couple of 4k movies left alone full series in 4k and lets not go into other data territory like 3d files , topographical maps, satellite and spacecraft data or simply mundane scientific data all of those can easily exceed 5-50TB per set.
>>
>>1131354
The man >>1142700 is right
I have 1 10TB, 2 6TB, 1 5TB WD blacks
and its nothing, im always hurtin for space.
WD needs to put out a 20TB Black, tired of turning down downloads, my backlog is now like 5 TBs of downloads
>>
>>1112829
Nigger you really want to compare a handful of watts of consumption in a tiny corner of your room running 24/7 to a +100W thin client?

Only advantage for the latter is not depending on external power for the drives and keeping them all inside.
>>
Deluge Lxc
OpenVPN Lxc
8TB space on the seedbox

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.