[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/t/ - Torrents

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 53 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: wtf.jpg (3.72 MB, 3256x2168)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>Go is an abstract strategy board game for two players in which the aim is to surround more territory than the opponent. The game was invented more than 2,500 years ago and is believed to be the oldest board game continuously played to the present day.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4805368d411e333bb3bfd1260716826ec2adc249&dn=go%20collection&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.dler.org%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopentracker.i2p.rocks%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2f47.ip-51-68-199.eu%3a6969%2fannounce
>>
File: 3blh.gif (48 KB, 580x610)
48 KB
48 KB GIF
Here is an animated Kifu (game record), that shows the game being played.
>>
>>1126553
Already been beaten by computers. Not worth learning.
>>
>>1126584
well thats a loser attitude.
>>
>>1126586
Nope. Computers automate boring trivial tasks, thus your game is by the definition of computation: boring and trivial.
>>
>>1126587
it is kind of for smart people, so I get why you aren't interested in it.
>>
>>1126589
>go
>it is kind of for smart people
HAHAHAAHAAAAHHAHAH
HOLY SHIT ARE YOU A REAL PERSON?
Smart people do real work and revolutionize technology and science.
>>
>>1126589
Not that guy but I also feel it's not worth it since AlphaGO became a thing. This game is ancient and all those years of innovation have been overturned by this AI, to the point that all human players now are foaming at the mouth trying to copy new AI moves. The game was originally put forward to me as a more creative alternative to chess but this seems just as stifling and rote.
>>
Has anyone dled it yet? Anything good in here I can't get on gokifu.com?
>>
>>1126593
Smart people do many things.

>>1127077
What's your take on shogi?
>>
>>1127077
I recently found an in-person go club and flat out stopped playing online. It is so much more fun, I'm learning so much more, and you don't see the AI imitators.

I realize if you're speaking english you probably live somewhere that doesn't likely have an in person club, but give it a shot.
>>
>>1127463
universitys usually have a Go Club.
>>
>>1126584
Isn't this just every game?
>>
>>1126584
The game itself hasn't been solved by computers, it's just that some computers can currently out-maneuver human players.
>>
>>1127470
My uni doesn't have a go club, what is your recommendation for finding other go players in order to start a club? I don't want to be the autistic "chess club" stereotype person. My city is relatively low-brow and thus doesn't have anything like go tournaments that I can find people
>>
Just play Shogi instead. Way more fun.
>>
Mahjong>
>>
File: 4a6vOL9.gif (1.86 MB, 400x268)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB GIF
>>1126553
>>
Legend says that long ago when Go was first created two dragons, both immortal, started playing a game. This was before there was a rule of ko, so when one arose in their game that was big enough to determine who would win each dragon kept capturing the ko stone back from the other.

So it went for a thousand years, because part of being immortal meant they are also infinitely patient, fighting the ko back and forth.

The Gods, who knew this game was going on, became curious about why they hadn't heard back from the dragons. To quell their curiosity they sent another dragon to go look upon the game and report back. One such dragon went and seeing the game still ongoing it did not want to return to the gods without an answer.

And another thousand years brought another dragon. And another, and so on. If we assume go really is 4,000 years old, that means we have two dragons playing and four more watching.

So goes the legend of why we now have the rule of ko. The dragons obviously can't adopt the rule now, you can't change the rules in the middle of a game, but at least we are protected from a similar fate.
>>
>>1126553
The Taste of Tea is a comfy movie with a Go segment, check it out
>>
File: hold my beer.jpg (106 KB, 640x1200)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>
>>1126584
There was a game semi-recently with Alpha Go Master vs Mi Yuting, where he was in the endgame and had a forcing sequence which won (it was really long, maybe 50+ moves). Computers are ahead of humans, but there's still magick left in it.
>>
>>1126553
what's the image supposed to mean
i'm reading elementary go series is it good
worth buying physical copies?
>>
>>1126584
everything will be beaten and subsumed by the machine god eventually anon. games are about having fun!!
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
>>1126589
Based. Thank you for exposing the dumbest posters here: the roleplayers who try to elevate themselves by belittling things beyond them.
>>
>>1126584
>he thinks games are math problems, for solving only
anon...

Go is having a renaissance right now.
New strategies and approaches that previously weren't known or weren't thought viable are now being played with.
Doesn't matter if they were discovered by a computer or some equally-unreachable world-class player.

It's not "playing like a human but better", it's "bringing new avenues of gameplay to the table after 4000 years".
I'm hype as fuck for machine learning to "outperform humans" like that in other fields.
I don't care whether its a man or a machine that teaches me how to fly, so long as my feet leave the ground.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
>>
>>1126553
I don't know how to play Go (I know the basic rules for technically legal moves I just don't know the joseki etc.). Are there books in here for retards like me?
>>
>>1129028
+1
>>
>>1126584
>>1126587
>>1126593
>>1127077
>>1128508
Guys, hear me out: it's a game, and you're not gonna believe this... it's about having fun
>>
>>1143832
any videos that describe how the ai revolutionize previously stagnant go?
>>
post arin
>>
>>1146471
It's so interesting because now pros are learning from AI as if it were a God of Go. The best pros are the ones who can be the best students
>>
>>1126587
You don't know how ai works or how to have fun
>>
>>1128962
You could drive to the closest city that has a go club once in a while. Make connections & see how they run stuff.
Drag some friends there until you get enough people interested to start your local club
>>
>>1127077
Where you expecting to be the next world champion?
There's always going to be someone better than you, wether it's a computer or a person.
The joy of go comes comes from learning to be a better player, regardless of others' skill
>>
>>1128962
I had an old friend who got into Go. Once he studied and trained up to a decent enough level he started running a club out of his business during off hours. I think he mainly advertised through his social networks through his Church, the local university, and his martial arts gym. I don't know how many serious players he got out of that effort or how long he kept it going (we fell out of touch and then he moved) but there was usually a small handful of people there whenever I happened to be in town and paid a visit.
>>
>>1127077
>>1131788

Since it's related
>>1147518
>>
>tfw will never be able to hang out with Michael Redmond and painfully tolerate his asiaboo house while he excitedly talks about the latest developments in 9p play
>>
>>1149578
why even live
>>
Summarizing the content in here for frens:

>Janice Kim's introductory series is really good for beginners. Should be mandatory reading.

>Elementary Go Series is classic, but sooo boring. They are hard to get through unless you are good at reading lectures. I'm pretty sure there are a handful of books in the series not in the torrent.

>Kageyama material. I don't know anything about these. Not a particularly good scan.

>WeiChi books contains miscellaneous books. I'll enumerate over what I know
>Attack and Defense is one of the other Elementary Go Series books. One of the better ones at that. It helps to be somewhat stronger to really digest the material. 15k minimum, but it's good learning all the way through SDK.
>Opening Theory Made Easy is fantastic for breaking through 20 kyu. Easy read and pretty small. Read it twice.
>Shape Up. I haven't read it but have heard good things.
>The rest I haven't heard of.

Anon, you should learn to play go. It is simple the greatest game to ever exist.
>>
>>1126555
I ain't got time to watch it all. But I'm going to assume white wins because so far, black is awful.
>>
>>1151456
Thank you Anon
>>
>>1151686
Cheers.
>>1151456
>It helps to be somewhat stronger to really digest the material.
I want to rephrase this. You should be 15k before opening these books. Lose 100 games first.
>>
>>1149578
>his asiaboo house
Have any good pictures? Does it really count as asiaboo if he moved there as a minor?
>>
>>1126553

Never expected to see Go on here, good shit
>>
File: at first, but then.gif (3.56 MB, 256x188)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB GIF
>>1131487
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bumpp
>>
>>1147326
Nick Sibicky on youtube does a lot of game coverage, including of AI games, and frequently with AI analysis.
he's done a few videos specifically on new solutions from AI, but he's got a shitzillion videos and frequently cracks jokes in the video title so they're aids to find.
>>
>>1126553
Bump
>>
bump
>>
>>1130343
I... creamed my pants
>>
Bump
>>
wish i had someone i couldp play irl with
>>
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1862520/Just_Go/
>>
>>1164438
See if any local or regional universities have a club, usually they're pretty welcoming to anyone who wants to play.
>>
>>1127077
If you want something like chess but without a lot of rote, try Arimaa. Nonetheless, every game with no hidden information will be dominated by computers soon.
>>
>>1151456
>>1152189
What does it mean to "be 15k" anon? 15k hours into the game?
>>
>>1167949
15k is shorthand for 15th kyu, a ranking on the traditional go ranking system. Beginners are 30 kyu. It's much lower of a ranking beginners have in chess. They work their way backwards to 1 kyu. Then move into the dan rankings, beginning with 1 dan up to 7 dan.
After that the pro rankings start and they work a little differently and differ from association to association or server to server. 9 dan professional is the highest ranking.
>>
>>1167968
I know a 5th dan amateur. At what ranking should I be able to beat him with a nine stone handicap? Could be entertaining to quietly play Go on my own for a few years before surprising him with being mildly competent.
>>
>>1167974
Weird things happen in handicap games. It's hard to play against them, even as a strong player. 9 stones though? That sucks through and through. You can probably start beating your friend once in a while in at 9 kyu if you're granted 9 stones.
>>
>>1126553
Many years ago (like before 2008) I wanted to learn this game due to Hikaru no Go.

I downloaded some programs, started playing the AIs on a smaller board, and most of the AIs completely trashed me. I think I stuck with it for like a month, playing a couple of hours per day, and saw no improvement.

Never even got confident enough to move to the full size board when I barely could manage in the smaller board.
And nobody to play with irl, plus I don't have the spare time besides work and family.

How would someone as lost and clueless as me jump back into this game again and not stay completely lost? Taking note I can only play at home on my computer a couple of hours a day on random schedules.
>>
>>1167968
thanks a lot anon. I'll have to look into absolute beginner level tutorials on youtube or something, the "Elementary Go" book series seems to be targeted for beginners who already have some idea of how the game is played.
>>
>>1168018
It's a very opaque game to learn. Nearly impossible without aid of some kind. Basic concept like life and death are extremely difficult to just pick up by playing games. Since the 2016 AlphaGo v Lee Sedol challenge match, there has been an explosion of new players in the West.
That's when I started played. By sheer luck my town had a go club and the strongest players there are those who started during your era when Hikaru no Go got translated.
Anyway, with all this new go buzz, which really is revolutionary by the way, there are a ton quality go resources to learn the game. You can find booklets on the American Go Association website, same with European Go Federation's. Both solid institutions.
When it comes to online servers, OGS must be your server of choice. In my opinion it is the only Western server worthy of patronage. They are by far the most modern with active moderation crew. Very friendly chats. Fairly to moderately pozzed, though, hide your power level. If time iis precious in your life, they have a great correspondence game scene. Get involved in the site ladders.
>>1168039
You're welcome my brother. The Elementary Go series are a difficult read in both content and they're boring. Not only that, but a chunk of their knowledge is outdated due to the recent advances in opening theory since AlphaGo. If you want a series to start with as a 30 kyu, Janice Kim's series cannot be beat.
Don't be afraid of ranked games. Just do them.
>>
>>1168154
>Fairly to moderately pozzed
Any suggestions on where to go that isn't this?
>>
>>1168172
Chinese servers, I guess.
>>
>>1168154
>Janice Kim's series cannot be beat.
I'll start with these. Any recommendations for books after this, and at what rank I should be at to move onto those next books? (I'll be doing tsumego the whole time, ofc)
>>
>>1168686
Nice!. If you're actually going through with it, make sure you play games. Don't get stuck on books and tsumego. The next book you should read is Opening Theory Made Easy. After that you'll figure it out. Make sure you report back.
>>
>>1126553
Interesting thread
>>
>>1126553
Amazing game, I hope I can learn the rules at the very least.
>>
Anyone know where I can find kifus of old games, shusaku and the like
>>
Is it a good torrent?
>>
bump
>>
>>1173457
Eh. Better than a swift kick in the rear end. The Janice Kim books are probably the best treat.
I should figure out how to create a torrent and curate a better one. I'm sure there are better ones out there already worth seeking out too. I love go too much to let this thing die this year.
Contribootin
>>
Ive got about a hundred issues of go workd magazine Im scanning, look forward to that anons!
>>
bump
>>
File: icgjz8mfd2x81.png (202 KB, 441x550)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
Play go.
>>
>>1180182
Anon how's it going?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.