[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1528428195681.jpg (55 KB, 334x500)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
What standard fantasy class can a nerdy character besides a mage? I can't recall ever seeing a nerdy warrior or rogue or something.
>>
>>60818762
In Japanese, the term 'Otaku' doesn't have the same connotation as nerd does in English. Otaku simply means they have a very extreme interest in a specific area. While Nerds are expected to have extreme interests in pop-culture, sci-fi, fantasy, and scientific and literary pursuits. But one could say be a tank Otaku, or a dog Otaku, or a horticulture Otaku.

Taking that perspective, you could make a Weapon Otaku Warrior, someone whose big and beefy, but nerds out to shit when they see a cool new weapon.
>>
Literally any class can be a nerd depending on how you play up their stats/character traits and interests. You don't really stop being a nerd just from being swole as fuck or particularly endurant.
If you're talking about the stereotypical meek/scrawny bookworm archetype, again, basically any class except maybe barbarian can suffice. I could even see a nerdy fighter type working out if you focus them into dex-based weapons and have them go into hulk mode under duress.
>>
>>60818914

Otaku Bard, who is a massive fanboy of the legendary figures he sings of, or the composers who wrote his songs, or of fine instrument craftsmen.

A cleric who is an academic geek much like a wizard isn't hard to imagine either.

You know those nerds who are really quick with their hands, but they do stuff like card tricks and yo-yos? There's your rogue.
>>
>>60818914
You're effectively just replacing the word "nerd" with "geek". No need to be a weeb about it.
>>
>>60818762
Have you read Dungeon Meshi? Laius is a fucking nerd and he's a fighter
>>
>>60818970
what a dork
>>
>>60818762
archeologist rogue
>>
>>60818762
I once played a Cutter in a BitD game who was basically a huge duelling nerd, guy loved learning about different kinds of swords and different culture's duelling styles.
>>
>>60818965
>Otaku Bard, who is a massive fanboy of the legendary figures he sings of
why haven't I thought of this before, Bards are all about knowing stories, who obsess over stories and fiction more than nerds
>>
>>60818991
and I splork for infinite splorks
>>
>>60818762
What is your problem? Why do you think you can't make something because you don't recall seeing it?
Is this pathological normalfaggotry or something?
>>
File: 49474141_p5_master1200.jpg (524 KB, 600x800)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
>>60818914
>Taking that perspective, you could make a Weapon Otaku Warrior, someone whose big and beefy, but nerds out to shit when they see a cool new weapon.
>>
>>60818762
>>60818960
>Barbarian

Nerd Rage
>>
>>60818762
Your class is not your personality
>>
Paladins. Virgins, obsessed with religious rules and lore, dabble in magic. Warrior-autists.
>>
>>60818762
Assuming you specifically mean someone who's has poor physical strength, poor social skills, high intelligence, and presumably wears glasses, there are a lot of directions you can take it.

Aside from the obvious Mage, a Thief would also fit well, though rather than a daring swashbuckler you'd be looking at more of a tinkerer or trap expert. They might know a lot of lore or engineering details, but fall short on some of the usual charming or acrobatic feats you'd expect.

A Cleric, particularly of a god of knowledge, would also have an easy time fitting in. They'd have some trouble if the system assumes Clerics will be marching around in heavy armor though.

Really the only one that I could see having any difficulty is a Warrior of some type. Even then a Ranger might fit for having encyclopedic knowledge of various types of wildlife and being able to keep his distance.

And including mage that's 3/4 of the major categories of classes that exist in a typical fantasy game. Anything that overlaps between Thief, Mage, or Cleric should be easy, and Warriors can be done if with more difficulty.
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17 KB, 250x250)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>60819810

> not playing your paladin as Cassius Autisticus, the most dedicated adherent to Pelor of all time
>>
>>60819602
Zoro is like the opposite of a weapon otaku, he sees a weapon and only care about how it cuts.
>>
>>60818762
Big manly man barbarian that really fucking loves gardening.
>>
>>60820023
Yeah Tashigi is the actual nerd. Even has nerdy glasses.
>>
>>60822100

Oi! My L5R Bushi has 4 points in Gardening.
>>
>>60818762
Alchemist
Rogue
Artificer
Sage
Strategist
>>
Could make a standard warrior dude obsessed with weapons and their make. Could be super autistic about making sure his are clean and good. Maybe even know particular blacksmith's and how good they are.
So something like
"I never trust Redbarn's staves, his quenching technique sucks. Things come out as brittle as crackers. Swiftfoot is where it's at, never been let down by them in my life. Oh and make sure you use Trilder's oil when polishing, he put some special stuff in it that makes it good as new."
"Oh this sword. Fan favorite of mine. I managed to snag it from Farleaf's place. They managed to get a shipment of this brand new metal going around. I'll tell you about the metal later, anyways I love the thing to death. I'm trying to figure out a name for it. Death blade? Nah that's too edgy."
You can be nerdy about anything.
>>
File: magiswords---266x266.jpg (24 KB, 266x266)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>60818914
>Weapon otaku Warriors
>>
>>60818762
If by nerdy, you mean being intellectually focused, knowing a lot of stuff, and not being particularly strong, then yeah. Using just D&D, you could have a psion, a factotum, an artificer, an archivist (Int focused divine caster), and more. Your goal is a character with high Int, enough skill points to grab lore, and low physical characteristics.

If by nerd, you mean someone who has intense interests that he cannot separate from the rest of his life, then anyone can be nerd. Take whatever character you're making and add autism.
>>
>>60818914
>what is a ----fag?
They're the same thing faggot
killyourself
>>
File: Laius.jpg (137 KB, 752x852)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>60818762
>>60818914
>otaku warrior
>>
>>60818762
Nerds learns the art of stealth so no one picks on them, that with their penchant for reading about almost anything (maybe that's me and my ADHD but I doubt that) and a little will to go out of lawful boundaries and you got yourself a rogue going.
>>
>>60818762
any craftsman can be a typical nerd.
besides the fact that every class can be nerdy
>>
>>60818762
Anyone who remembers junior high would say "rogue".
The popular kids usually don't have the common sense or sketchiness to actually get their hands dirty with shoplifting, vandalism or break-ins, nor do they want to, but it's fun.
Thus, they get the sketchy little nerdlings to do it for them, the ones who actually have the patience to read up on the particulars and the ones who don't get social repercussions from turning tail and running the moment something's weird.
The shoplifter or the vandal in the class is usually a skinny little motherfucker who's gotten used to running from people a lot.
>>
>>60818970
i'm not your weeb, grognard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.