[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1711305848398756.pdf (1.59 MB, PDF)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PDF
Previous thread: >>92272919

GURPS is a modular, adaptable system, capable of running a wide range of characters, settings, and play styles, with a level of detail varying from lightweight to completely autistic.
Optional rules allow you to emulate different genres with a single system, or even switch genres within a single game.

A nearly complete archive of GURPS books can be found by those who pay attention to file extensions.
Never post direct links to the archive anywhere.

If you're wondering where to start:
The Basic Set covers everything, including a lot of optional rules you probably won't use.
A genre guide can be found in the archive, under Unofficial/GURPSgen. It tells you what extra books and articles you may find useful for many common genres.
How To Be a GURPS GM is a good read even for players.
GCS (gurpscharactersheet.com) is an excellent character-builder software, with page references to all the books and the option to export to both Foundry and Fantasy Grounds.

Thread Question: The writers know that "you kick like a mule" is that type of figurative expression that is similar to but not a metaphor right?
>The exception is ST, which can range
significantly beyond 20 even for normal humans
B14
>Large Mule ST 22
B460
>>
>>92346954
>TQ
Inb4 stat normalizers. That said its stuff like that why I use KYOS, and soft cap attributes at 16. That and defaults. Been thinking of trying (Attribute / 2) + (5 + Default penalty)
>>
>>92346954
>TQ
I think the unstated assumption there is that 'normal' includes extremely cinematic but not intended to be 'superhuman' characters. For example, Tarzan is shown to be able to overpower lions, and out-wrestle (mostly through skill, granted) gorilla-like apes (including the largest males). Comic-book Conan wrestles a rhino (and even novel Conan boasted of neck-snapping a bull, and is shown neck-snapping a strong man and cutting right through metal helmets). Batman and Captain America are meant to be 'peak human' but often lift and smash things which are well beyond real human capacity (e.g. in the MCU Cap' can hold down a helicopter which must have at least half a ton of excess thrust, in the comics both throw people through brick walls).
>>
>>92348049
>in the MCU Cap' can hold down a helicopter which must have at least half a ton of excess thrust
Steve is explicitly super human and he and Walker are both shown to be able to lift several ton items with effort.
>The actual point
GURPS is usually explicit about cinematic vs grounded.
>>
Boxing = Pro-Punching
Karate = Pro-Kicking
Judo = Pro-Grapple
>>
File: .png (45 KB, 1380x554)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>92350312
>slowpoke.jpg
>>
>>92352926
Acutally, Karate boosts both punches and kicks. It would be funny if somebody made a skill that benefited only kicks.
>>
So I'm statting up a piece of equipment from a book I read a long time ago, and looking for a sanity check. One character had what amounts to an IR eyepatch (small illuminator and monocular mounted on one piece) that he wore. Basing it off of the existing night vision equipment on HT48 seems straightforward enough; Night Vision (x), with downsides of Colorblindness, No Depth Perception, and No Peripheral Vision while in use, plus the bonus and downsides of an IR illuminator with a couple yards' range. Figure some reasonable weight and battery usage for a ~TL9 piece of tech, and all good. However, everything listed is *binoculars* except a single (thermal imaging) monocular, which doesn't have any special mechanics.
If you're using what's essentially a monocular, would you add "One Eye" to the disadvantages you suffer while actively using it, since you'd presumably need the other eye closed to not get very disoriented in the process? (No appearance penalty of course, because you're not physically missing the eye, but the -1 to DX and -3 to rolls where applicable.) I'm inclined to say "yes, you would", but the monocular in HT not having it applied makes me curious how it's intended. It's also entirely possible this exists in another book, but I can't think of what it would be besides HT or UT (which also is exclusively "both eyes viewing").
>>
>>92352986
Low-Tech p. 42 and Low-Tech Companion 1 p. 22 have rules for monocular spyglasses and telescopes, respectively. The One Eye disadvantage is not specifically mentioned there, either.
>>
>>92352986
On Target (in Pyramid vol. 3 iss. 77) states that aiming through a telescopic sight grants Tunnel Vision (Basic Set p. 151), not One Eye.
>>
>>92352986
One Eye and No Depth Perception are effectively the same disadvantage, so you can't take both (this is explicitly stated in the rules for NDP).
>>
>>92353139
I probably should have double checked NDP first, huh. Then that's why it's not called out separately.
Thanks, folks. I knew I had to be forgetting something.
>>
>>92350312
Judo/Wrestling/Sumo being separate skills is so confusing
>>
>>92353772
What if we combine them and up the points.
>>
>>92352943
>kickboxing
>>
>>92355710
>Footpunching
>>
>>92355727
Okay Bongulous Benjamin
>>
>>92346954
Where do I go to find people to play GURPS with? Is there a Discord or something?
>>
>>92359131
There is but it's full of trannies and retards who didn't even read the basic set
>>
>>92352926
>heavy armor
>boxing
>wrestling
>tfw gigachad
>>
>>92359131
Post your discord handle, start time, and general theme of the campaign here, sometimes people respond.
>>
>>92359259
I'm looking for games to play in not games to run. I've never played GURPS before.
>>
How would you stat the disadvantages for a character who has been bisected above the pelvis, but through supernatural means of alien biology, is still alive.
The wound is still open (...so a more extreme version of wounded) and thus must be tied down to prevent further loss (I would stat this as a heavily modified version of Dependency) and the character can not take postures other than lying, or else taking crushing damage to the organs (I have no idea where to begin with this one)
>>
>>92359284
Regularly browse game finders with high traffic and pray. I couldn't find a D&D game years ago, before I gave up on ever being a player, so best of luck. I'll
>>
>>92359352
Increased Life Support [-10], Weakness (1d/minute, -20; Standing Up, Very Common, x3) [-60].

Kind of curious about the story behind this one.
>>
>>92359131
>>92359284
I got lucky with plebbit's r/lfg and got into a good group.
One time someone in this general was recruiting and that too is a good group.
I've only found bad groups from the GURPS discord.
Just anecdotal, but that's been my experience.
>>
What would you call a quirk-level of Sense of Duty: Humanity?
>>
>>92359534
Humanitarian, maybe? Or Looks After Others? Or are their other sapient species besides humans in the setting? In that case maybe something like Pro Human.
>>
File: file.png (175 KB, 261x976)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
>>92359389
I looked at Increased Life Support several times. I don't feel it fits. He requires no special facilities. I feel like the chronic dieses are those that require oxygen chambers or iron lungs.
I can't believe I did think of using weakness, I re-read until the word object and then stopped.
I think this the first time I have actually read and processed weakness fully, and it is really underwhelming. No modifiers for additional damage or for any amount of time below 60 turns is crazy bad. I mean with the written version of Weakness there is no way to portray most versions of Superman... or representing this case. I feel like placing 90 pounds with your organs being the primary bracing material should be near guaranteed death.
>>
>>92359820
Increased Life Support is ultimately just about the logistical issues of dealing with your problem. If you have to constantly be tied up like a gimp in a special suit to avoid dying, I think that counts. That being said, the suit could also be represented as a Mitigator (-60%) to your character's Terminal Illness (<1 month) if you'd rather handle things like that. That will come out to [-40] rather than [-10].

1d/minute means unconsciousness in three minutes, risk of death in six minutes, and unavoidable death in under 20. IMO that's plenty lethal for a chronic, unavoidable condition. Kromm does have a forum post suggesting you can apply Reduced Time 6 (+120%) to Weakness and get it down to 1d/second, but Kromm's forum posts are usually too off-the-cuff for general usage and even he says it's probably too lethal, so apply that as you will.
>>
File: swon_map.jpg (52 KB, 722x360)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
How do I properly calculate the width/length of a figure on a hex grid?
Combat Writ Large defines the size of high SM units on the map but is not clear about how you draw it. For example, are the 3x4 and 2x3 characters on pic correct?
>>
>>92361231
That's how I'd probably draw their placements. There's no guarantee that's the *correct* way but I read it like that too.
>>
File: swon_map.png (96 KB, 1422x1562)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>92361285
Thanks, I'm not too off the mark then.
What about attack reach? Assuming an SM+4 humanoid (3x4 on hex grid), B402 gives +3 to his reach, and the scaling rule from LTC2 gives reach 3 for a SM+4 sword. Then is it correct to say the light blue range on the pic is the character's punch reach and dark blue the sword reach?
>>
File: aaaaaaaa.png (555 KB, 1447x534)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
>Kromm is working in two How to be a GURPS GM books

What will they be about?
>>
>>92362496
Maybe one will be low-power games, to counterbalance Rice's HtbaGG about high-power games? No clue about the second book, though; shot in the dark, maybe long-term games, with the book focusing on avoid points bloat, niche protection, and handling replacement characters?
>>
>>92362496
Probably Dungeon Fantasy stuff
>>
I'm working on an ability that works only when the user kills someone. As an Accessibility limitation, what would the value be?

The idea is an implant that pumps a drug cocktail into the user when they successfully deal a killing blow. Depending on the drug, maybe it provides regeneration or high pain tolerance or euphoria.
>>
>>92361627
Also yes, and I'm actually confident of that this time.
>>
>>92362920
Probably comparable to temporary disadvantage, bad temper and bloodlust. Not sure about the SC number though; probably very low, since you have to kill in order to get the benefit, while with actual temp disadvantage you get the benefit and then have a chance of killing someone.
>>
Fuck, the most recent posts by Mailanka and Eggplant really make me wish we had more GURPS blogs.
>>
>>92365817
>recent posts by Mailanka
>complaining about Affliction
He is just like me frfr.
What I always wanted to do is to change how pricing works for some traits, Affliction being the most notorious example. Instead of +X% the base modifiers (the ones that add affliction effects like stat change or incapacitating conditions) add flat +X points to the base cost. The rest of attack modifiers like range or malediction apply their +X% on top of this adjusted cost.
But I'm too lazy to iron this one, so it forever remains unfinished idea.
>>
>>92346954
What's the simplest ruleset for playing as a Rakshi or Dalek-type creature with a living true body inside a normal sized mechanical chassis?
>>
>>92367571
The chassis is a separate character with IQ 0, Controls, and Payload. See Template Toolkit 2.
>>
File: Jackalope.pdf (193 KB, PDF)
193 KB
193 KB PDF
is this a fair stat out of a jackalope? (it is meant to be lethal)
>>
>>92368608
Perception should be at least 10, possibly 12. Will needs to be WAY higher, again minimum 10; maybe you left it low because the animal's supposed to be skittish, but Will 4 is not how you do this, because anything dangerous to warrant a Fright Check will leave the animal stunned for multiple seconds and give it a new mental quirk. Both prey and predator animals benefit from the Stealth skill, so make sure to add that. Lastly, being only 1' tall should make his SM -5, maybe -4 for its boxier body type, hell maybe up to -3 for prodigious antlers, but -1 is nowhere near the right SM for that creature.
>>
File: Jackalope.pdf (193 KB, PDF)
193 KB
193 KB PDF
>>92368861
how is this for a adjustment?
>>
>>92368894
Yeah that seems much better IMO, especially if it's meant to be a lethal threat. Fast, hits hard, is hard to hit, and no longer scared into a catatonic state by someone yelling. Also boosting Perception made his Survival high enough that it can probably manage to make it in the wild; not really relevant to his combat stats but a nice inclusion.

I guess the only thing I'd maybe change (and this is optional, dude seems fine as-is) is boost his Basic Move up to 11, only because that lets you move two yards as a Step. Getting past that threshold really lets you play up how speedy the bastard is in combat. Again, totally optional, but maybe worth considering.
>>
>>92368981
changed it to move 11, rounded it off to a nice 150 funnily enough
thanks for the advice
>>
>>92369010
Happy to help, hope he works well for your table.
>>
>>92365817
We used to have more but a lot of people who wrote those blogs have died or just retired from GURPS. Nothing lasts forever.
>>
File: IMG_20240403_112127.jpg (4.83 MB, 4000x3000)
4.83 MB
4.83 MB JPG
>>92369145
I'm still here. I'm just too lazy to design vehicles nowadays.
>>
Still praying that someday someone will update the Fantasy Trip section of the archive with the new Hexagrams
>>
>>92352943
t. Taekwondo
>>
Looking at some ultratech armors, tacsuits and some others mention that, with a helmet or mask, the suit is sealed. But on its relevant armor table, the suit says it protects every location. Doesn't that imply it already has a helmet? And if it does, does it come missing any other areas?
>>
>>92372222
It calls them "suits" in the text description, and earlier in the chapter they define suits as having a hood and mask with an eye slit. Assuming tacsuits and the like have similar features, it makes sense that they provide DR to the skull and face as-is but still need an air mask or helmet to be actually sealed against a vacuum. Probably don't protect the eyes on their own though, despite the "all" tag.
>>
>>92372550
Missed that - thanks.
Would wearing a helmet over a tacsuit then be considered layering armor and impose a DX penalty?
Also - does the combat hardsuit use the NBC suit skill as a cap/limiter on your other skills? I should think so, but I don't see it explicitly in the description.
>>
It's time for an After the End game. You get one gun of your choice, up to TL7, from HT or its addon books; cost of the gun is waived but you'll be responsible for the cost of ammo. What are you picking? I'm indecisive
>>
>>92372958
It’d be layered armor, but layering on the head explicitly does not cause DX penalties (p. B286).

Combat Hardsuits are weird. IIRC every other type of sealed armor explicitly uses an Environmental Suit skill specialty, but not Sealed Combat Suits. I personally would require the NBC Suit skill and use it as a cap, but that’s a judgement call; the flexible versions on the previous page only use the skill for quick entry/exit and judging their quality, not as a DX cap.
>>
>>92373262
Assuming your GM isn't going to let you get away with .600 NE or similar rounds as generic $10 "rifle bullets," I'd say the TL6 Winchester M1887 10G Shotgun. Rifled slugs deal 7d pi++ and have a 1/2D of 100 yards, which should be enough for 90% of threats you'll face in the wasteland unless you plan on sniping across the saltflats.
>>
>>92373621
I was leaning towards either that or an Ithaca Featherlight (slightly lower ST requirement, weight, and recoil, if a bit weaker). Shotguns in general just seem really well suited for it.
>>
>>92373262
6 shot revolver, more than enough to kill anything that moves.
>>
>>92373621
Doesn't AtE call out high damage rifle bullets as using the $50 HMG ammo instead?
>>
>>92362496
Kromm only cares for DF now so expect a how to run dungeons or building parties stuff
>>
>>92367571
>simplest
Treat the mechanical 'shell' as gear (best if the living creature can transfer between shells), or make the 'composite' of machine and organic being a single cyborg character by having the living parts be the 'brain' and 'vitals'.
>>
Has anyone played the martian awakening oneshot?
>>
>>92378234
Huh, so it does, never noticed that before. So yeah, the Royal Double Express is probably not worth it.

On a related note, how should nonstandard ammo be handled in AtE? Just apply the CF to the new updated costs? Or should they also be subject to the TL cost multiplier? Or just banned outright?
>>
>>92368608
Striking ST 20 seems ridiculous for a hare-sized animal, even if it is cinematic / fantastic (unless this is a specific feature of the legend, which isn't the case here, or you are intending it to be silly like the killer rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and even that mostly seemed to rely on speed and targeting the neck). Incidentally, a 10 lbs. animal should have ST / HP 4.
I suggest instead loading up with enhanced move until you get to cheetah / gazelle like speed (~30 yps) and using a slam with the antlers (see Martial Arts p. 107 for the rules regarding slams mixed with other attacks) for 1d+2 imp. (with ST 4 and move 38 or ST 5 and move 30 you could reach 2d base slam damage, +2 for striker, +2 for brawling, for 2d+4 which is almost as good as your build.) With high brawling skill, it can probably go for less armoured body parts like the legs or groin and cause significant injury.
For added detail, they would probably qualify for Night Vision, Parabolic Hearing, Peripheral Vision, Ultrahearing, and maybe Blunt Claws, Super Jump, and Vibration Sense (Air; Short Range, -10%).
You could also give them the Back Kick technique, which is something antelope, deer, and hares all use (although if it only has ST 4, it will only do a feeble 1d-2 cr. even with claws and skill bonus, so maybe add some striking ST, just not 20 levels).
Free Fall seems weird and pointless for a wild animal, but Running is probably appropriate for a hare/deer/musk deer/antelope hybrid.
>>
File: L42A1-Large.png (2.42 MB, 4708x1518)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB PNG
>>92373262
Enfield L42A1 (SMLE variant, High-Tech p. 112). It's got Acc 6, does 7d pi damage, and only weighs 10.8 lbs. Low rate of fire isn't really an issue in an ammo-scarce genre like AtE. It looks the part too, being something of a 'Frankenstein' gun made by modifying existing rifles.
>>
>>92379184
I'd say they take the TL cost multiplier on top of the usual CPS multiplier (but use the AtE base prices). That makes them generally too expensive to bother with, but available if someone really wants to go for it.
>>
>>92373262
consider the humble flintlock
you'll still have ammo long after everyone else has run out of casings
(you'll also never survive to use that ammo)
>>
>>92380057
Speaking of older guns, its a bit cheese but the Musket Rifle .577 in Basic is a really solid weapon for AtE. 4d pi+ is decent, Acc4 and 1/2D of 700yd makes it a sharpshooter's weapon in the context of AtE, it's blackpowder so ammo is cheap but it's still relatively quick to reload, and best of all it's only $150 and TL5 for a final cost of $300. It's a really decent gun, affordable by starting PCs and a way to cheaply add some range to your repertoire; I noticed it while looking for gun to complement >>92373262's shotgun, figuring he'd also need range and a cheaper round for hunting in the wastes.

The reason it's a bit cheese is that the gun's statline is obviously a relic of Basic's less thorough reality checking. It's a generic version of the Einfield P/1853 .577 from High-Tech, and this more researched version sports worse damage, worse Acc, and significantly worse range. It's also more expensive.
>>
File: ems.jpg (609 KB, 1856x2832)
609 KB
609 KB JPG
In DF terms, is Conan actually a Barbarian or a tribal themed Knight?
>>
>>92387996
Savage Warrior from DF Denizens.
>>
When employing rules from Thaumatology, I feel like it's easier to limit the variety of caster magic to a few options or else it becomes a bit cumbersome to keep everything straight
>>
God why? Why are the only things I can keep consistently interested in are fucking Shonen style Anime, Horror aimed at 7-12 year olds, and the military, but not the military on the human scale, the military on the grand scale. Why must everything I truly love be antithetical to TTRPGs?
>>
>>92389836
>It is easier to keep track of things if there are less options
Yes that's not specific to Thaumatology, that's quite literally everything ever.
>>
>>92390199
Have you tried wargames?
>>
>>92390199
>the military on the grand scale
ACKS 2 (GURPS's chud nephew)
>>
>>92390217
Eggplant, stop shilling ACKS already. We get it, you like it
>>
>>92390239
I'm not him. But thanks for alerting me that Eggplant is a kindred soul.
>>
>>92390204
Tabletop War Games always seemed just like more expensive Computer War Games to me.
Tabletop Role Playing Games have flexibility that Computer Role Playing Games don't have.
>>
>>92387996
The DF Barbarian by default has Gigantism and IQ 10.
Conan is often described as 'giant' or even 'a giant', but I don't get the impression he is seven feet tall. He meets several normal humans taller than him (in The Vale of Lost Women, there is even an entire tribe of very tall black guys who are of comparable height) and I seem to recall him usually being 'a head' or 'head and shoulders' taller than others, which suggests something in the 6'2"-6'4" range (GURPS Conan says 6'3", some internet sites say 6'4"). There is a 'short barbarian' lens in DFD:B, so that isn't necessarily an issue.
The IQ thing is more of a problem. Conan is clearly very clever, probably a genius. Even taking the Survivor template and Refined Savage lens (although the latter gives problematic disadvantages), the maximum IQ for a DF Barb' is 12, which still seems inadequate. Cross-classing into Thief adds another +1, while Knight adds a couple of levels of BWL (which represent one of the things Conan shows genius for, alongside languages and wilderness stuff). The Scholar lens (DF4:S) doesn't raise IQ, but does make him in some ways 'smarter' and closer to the book character (e.g. adds Hidden Lore, allows some use of magic).
The DF Knight, on the other hand, actually seems worse. IQ is stuck at 10 with no way to raise it except cross-classing.
The Cutthroat thief variant from DFD:T can get to ST 15 and IQ 12. Adding Barbarian and Knight cross-class lenses raises ST to 17, so you're in Conan territory, but conceptually it isn't a great match and misses a lot of Conan's outdoor skills while adding some stuff which doesn't seem entirely appropriate.
You can't really do authentic omnicompetent pulp heroes in the Dungeon Fantasy template system, which is specifically designed to channel players into inter-dependent niches so that everyone has a chance to shine.
>>
>>92392145
>The IQ thing is more of a problem. Conan is clearly very clever, probably a genius. [...] the maximum IQ for a DF Barb' is 12, which still seems inadequate.
I don't know the chracter well but is Conan really smart in all fields affected by IQ? As in he's a good spy, excellent scientist, a talented musician and poet, a cunning merchant and a fine craftsman?
If not, if he's "merely" a good tactician and strategist, which I guess is the most common "intelligence challenges" he might come across, then you could replace the expensive IQ with Born War-Leader or similar talent.
>>
>>92392186
He's a good engineer and metallurgist. He's a theologian, if he has a low general IQ he is like a 700 point character based on skill alone.
...also how does a man learn like 15 different skills if he is a moron generally.
>>
>>92392284
>Conan the Barbarian
>More like Conan the Learned
>>
>>92392405
I didn't write the story
>>
>>92392405
Barbarian as Migrant, foreigner from shitland
>>
>>92375573
Another player ended up going with a 5-shot revolver. Everyone went with black powder guns. This is going to be interesting.
>>
>>92392405
I prefer the term Conan the Jack-of-all-Trades
>>
File: conan in GURPS.pdf (1.04 MB, PDF)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PDF
>>92392284
Being a specialist in something ain't that expensive besides Conan is slight above average if you follow Conan module take on the character. Also, see GURPS study rules, morons can learn a lot of skills they just take longer for that.
>>
>>92392186
>As in he's a good spy, excellent scientist, a talented musician and poet, a cunning merchant and a fine craftsman?
He's an excellent commander and tactician, a brilliant scout, a reasonable thief, at least somewhat good at politics, a great sailor, a competent craftsman, knows more than most about demons and magic (competent enough to draw an effective warding sigil), fluent in a dozen languages (no longer linked to IQ in GURPS, but a general indicator of 'really smart'). He's also exceptionally quick-witted and seems to know at least a little bit about everything. He's no good at poetry and music, but I think that's more like a specific incompetence than an indication of low intelligence masked by specific talents. You could run him as IQ 12 with lots of Born War Leader and Outdoorsman, but I don't think it would be entirely in the spirit of the character, which is someone who is meant to be just generally admirable.
>>
Two questions:

Do you think going the opposite direction for Terror pricing ([30, -5 per +1 to Fright Checks, Ignore rule of 14]) would be fair?

I want to build an advantage for a character that can hear when people speak to them through a focused prayer (Concentrate), from any distance. I'm trying to build it around "Telesend, Single Target, Effects Others" - but I'm having trouble with the Effects Others because it shouldn't just apply to those touching the character or nearby. Telecommunication (Receive Only) would be fine, but I don't want to restrict who can do it. I'm sure there's an elegant, probably pre-existing solution that I haven't seen. Maybe something built around Message (Magic 174)? Any tips?
>>
>running a twilight 2000-ish game
>intended to have a nice short session where the party walks through a creepy forest to meet other american soldiers
>they approach the camp, its a basic dugout fortification with some outlying foxholes
>camp's commander gives them the generic "keep your weapons slung, hands where we can see them"
>tells them to come closer and they start chatting
>he's kind of a dick but gets chummy with the group's medic
>takes him to one side to ask him questions
>one of my PCs is drunk irl
>says "i point my rifle at the medic and say you better make a good impression of us lol"
>jumpy soldiers ended up shooting him because he pointed a loaded M16 in the direction of their commander
>no chance of survival, takes a full burst of 30-06, he is hamburger meat in one round
>expected party to chimp over it
>they were 100% fine and laughed about it
>friend actually said he liked i didn't "pull any punches" regarding it

Honestly not sure what to think but very glad it didn't kill the campaign. Still feel a bit bad killing him over a drunken blunder though.
>>
Excess damage being lost on crippling/destruction of limbs is a little weird to me

If I shoot someone (with 10 HP) in the arm with a browning .50 cal 7dx2 p+.

Rolling pretty average for ~60 damage. But an ordinary person will only take 6 damage from the attack. Their arm is completely destroyed and they have to roll for knockdown for having a limb crippled (just once, they don't roll twice for the hp loss)

Then as long as they pass and you aren't using bleeding rules they are pretty much fine after a turn of -4 shock.

It makes sense the damage doesn't carry through to the torso but I think losing an entire limb would almost immediately incapacitate someone.
>>
Is there a way to fast holster weapons? You can drop weapons as a free action but it takes 1 second to holster a pistol.

1. If a character is dual wielding can they holster both in 1 second manuever?
2. If a character is duel wielding pistols and wants to swap to a melee weapon is there some way he can fast holster his weapons and then fast draw his melee weapon, its not very cinematic to be dropping his pistols and makes a difference if he wants to use them again soon.

There's no fast holster skill or anything like that so maybe you could just use fast draw skill to holster without taking an action?
>>
>>92400478
People get limbs blown off and remain aware regularly, I.E. people that get their arm caught in heavy machinery and manage to pull themselves away and if you aren't you bleeding, that's just an amputation from before anesthetics and people survived those regularly.
>>
>>92400488
MA102, Quick Sheathing, but that's for melee weapons. I guess since you don't need reverse grip, just having a perk and rolling Fast-Draw is enough.
>>
>>92399331
>What is Fearlessness?
>>
>>92399331
>Two questions:
>Do you think going the opposite direction for Terror pricing ([30, -5 per +1 to Fright Checks, Ignore rule of 14]) would be fair?
Yes.
>I want to build an advantage for a character that can hear when people speak to them through a focused prayer (Concentrate), from any distance.
Detect (Name) (see TT4:Spirits p.15) with two levels of Long Range (PU4: Enhancements p.15) to give 'no (range) penalties at all'.
>>
>>92400500
Yeah, but people also go into shock a lot from traumatic amputation and sometimes die. Lots of people died getting limbs amputated before modern surgical methods were invented.
>>92400478
I think the answer is 'always use bleeding rules for limb amputation even if you don't otherwise'. Even a couple of HP beyond the limit will impose some significant penalties.
>>
>>92400574
thanks
>>92400651
>is 'always use bleeding rules for limb amputation even if you don't otherwise'.
Yeah I think I'll do this
>>
>>92400193
>Still feel a bit bad killing him over a drunken blunder though
Happened to drunk soldiers all the time, GURPS continues to be realist simulator
>>
>>92399331
>Do you think going the opposite direction for Terror pricing ([30, -5 per +1 to Fright Checks, Ignore rule of 14]) would be fair?
The obvious issue is that being able to cause fright checks at +6 is still worth some points, so you need to cap it at some level below that. You also have the issue that 17+ always fails regardless, unless you add even more special rules. I'd limit it to three levels, so that someone with maxed-out fright check (ignoring rules exemption perks and so on) of 13 would be rolling against 16.
>>
How to go about doing a dungeon crawl?
>>
>>92402223
more specific
>>
>>92402256
Which subset of vast assortment of gurps rules should I use to prepare an enjoyable dungeon crawl experience akin to old school dnd and osr? Is dungeon fantasy enough or are there some other things I should look into?
>>
>>92402332
Dungeon fantasy and base set and maybe martial arts (mostly good if you want even more combat options and realism) and low tech and then you could supplement with magic item sourcebooks etc if you wanted
>>
>>92402332
oh and setting wise you could do banestorm
>>
>>92402332
Dungeon Fantasy (either GURPS DF or DFRPG powered by GURPS) will do fine. You can add numerous elements if you like (e.g. alternative magic systems, freeform character creation, more detailed combat rules, more abstract combat rules, etc.) but there's no need to.
You don't really need a setting for DF, but if you want there's Banestorm (classic kitchen-sink fantasy with the twist that religion is real-world and comes with no powers from the gods), Nordlond (Viking-themed world), The Cold Shard Mountains (fairly generic fantasy), or Caverntown (a more ironic modern 'everything is dungeon' setting).
>>
Your TL8 characters all have driving skill don't they?
>>
>>92402799
Yes, and computer operation.
But do they really need driving? Regular commuting is a very easy task. Even at default (plus familiarity), the chance of something bad happening is quite low.
>>
>>92402979
You have forgotten what your first time driving was like haven't you?
>>92402799
No because not everyone owns a car.
>>
>>92403099
Maybe in whatever third world shithole you crawled out of.
>>
>>92403099
>You have forgotten what your first time driving was like haven't you?
Fair point.
What other skills are things most every TL8 person has?
>>
>>92403221
Some type of current affairs, and/or hobby skill.
>>
>>92352926
While sumo doesn't improve punching damage per se, their hand strike damage is pretty high, especially thrusting slaps.
>>
>>92403221
Maybe Computer Operation, although a lot of people seem to get by with One-Task Wonder or default.
>>
>>92403221
Swimming, usually only a point but that’s all most people need to not die; the average default is only 6, so even with mods for less-than-dangerous scenarios the rate of drowning would be weirdly high. Also I remember taking swimming lessons back when I was a little’un and I’d bet that’s a fairly common experience.
>>
I'm looking to design some space cruise missiles for an asymmetric warfare Ultra Tech game. Are the Spaceships books the best place to find rules for this, or would I be better off looking elsewhere?
>>
>>92404631
Wouldn't that be a torpedo
>>
>>92404831
No Torpedo has to be made for water, unless you are talking about a GURPS rule
>>92404631
>Cruise Missile
Shouldn't it just be a missile in space, the difference between a Cruise and a ballistic missile is how the fly relative to the globe.
>>
>>92404848
Missile sounds about right. I was just looking to do something very long range and stealthy, like half the solar system range.
>>
>>92405377
Long range is about the only way you're going to manage stealthy in space (assuming realistic physics). Hide your launch signature and initial burn, coast long enough that you can cool down to near background temperature, then do a quick burn to ensure a hit when you're close enough to make it too late to react. This only really works against predictable targets, of course (e.g. satellites, planets, asteroid bases, ships on set trajectories).
Spaceships missile rules kind of assume relatively short-range (hundreds of thousands of miles at most), non-stealthy (although maybe with some basic pen-aids) weapons which are handled in a very abstract way. A more detailed method would be to build the missile as a spaceship. This only works for rather large missiles using the Spaceships rules, but the third-edition Vehicles book will allow you to make rockets of arbitrary size.

>>92404848
>Shouldn't it just be a missile in space, the difference between a Cruise and a ballistic missile is how the fly relative to the globe.
Yes, although a cruise missile could be defined as a guided missile which has a constantly running engine and ability to manoeuvre (while a ballistic missile just has a take-off burn and then coasts to the target), which is bad for this scenario (no stealth while running an engine, even if you managed to keep your engine going all that time).
>>
Finally! I don't have to divide by 2 anymore!
https://www.reddit.com/r/gurps/comments/1bw1yg7/gurps_precalculated_wounding_modifiers_chart_more/
>>
>>92407450
Please don't post things that trigger will rolls.
>>
>>92407450
Literally the same thing as having the size, speed, and range table printed off. What, you don't know the formula? Can't do a bit of simple math?
>>
I want to make a shapeshifter who could turn into only mammals. How would you price that limitation?
>>
>>92407450
kek
Also
>printer-friendly
>gray background
>>
>>92407830
Probably -10% since "mammals" includes everything from bats to polar bears to humans to whales.
>>
>>92407830
https://archiveofourown.org/works/5627803/chapters/12963046

kino is here
>>
File: proxy-image.jpg (22 KB, 474x266)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
i've got 3 players (me) and 2 others seeking a GM or a group to play. contact on steam. friend code. 88965097
Party experience.
me and another player have played 1 campaign 6-7 sessions. and a oneshot 2 sessions. the other one have just played the oneshot.
the setting we prefer is a down to earth Realism Grimdark universe fantasy TL 1 to 4.
>>
Anyone have the Psi Wars: Adventures pdf? I got heroes, but I can't the other one. The link on Mailanka's site is a dead end.
>>
>HTMLfaggot converts a GURPS book from PDF to HTML and uploads it to a Git repository
>anons help to translate the entire book into a zillion different languages
>the gospel of GURPS is spread through the entire world
>>
>>92407450
I need this with hit locations
>>
>>92409956
His old blogspot site is still up and has a functional link to Adventures in the index: https://mailanka.blogspot.com/2016/07/a-psi-wars-primer.html
>>
>>92409796
Why through Steam?
>>
>>92410662
i refuse to use discord and the other player refuses to use teamspeak. so the middle ground is steam voice chat anyways. one player seems to be interested to pay for a foundry license if you prove to be a good GM
>>
>>92410622
Just tried it, doesn't work. Just opens a tab that instantly closes. Link on the new site goes to a google drive with restricted access.

>>92410662
Probably for vetting purposes. Better than posting his discord handle. I usually make a burner discord server, and toss out an invite link. Way easier than dealing with friendcode jank.
>>
forgot to mention telegram is an option
>>
>>92409796
>>92410737
>>92410753
I'd offer, but grimderp fantasy isn't my jam. That all you're interested in?
>>
How to improve the Bard and Thief templates for DF to make them actually useful?
>>
>>92410763
i guess you can cut the grimdark and go for realistic fantasy but they kinda go hand in hand? i don't care for the grimdark part myself. we can probably iron out the setting after talking a bit more.
>>
>>92410749
>Just opens a tab that instantly closes.
Pointing Archive.org to that link works.
https://web.archive.org/web/20231225062656/http://psi-wars.wdfiles.com/local--files/wiki%3Aindex/Psi%20Wars%20-%20Adventure-%20Iteration%205.odt
https://files.catbox.moe/5nkdfp.odt
>>
>>92409956
>>
>>92410802
For the thief, I like playing a Scout with a Thief lens
For the bard, add a swashbuckler lens
>>
>>92410852
>>92410860
Many thanks.
>>
>>92410860
also thanks
>>
>>92410852
>>92410860
Any chance you have links to the other pdfs? I'd like to check them out.
>>
>>92411056
What others? Beside Adventure, I only have Heroes.
>>
>>92411095
Thanks anon
And I was referring to the Combat Cheat Sheet and Adversaries Reference docs that are on the blog under Heroes and Adventures. Not sure what's in them, but figured if I can get them I'd check it out.
>>
>>92411121
Sorry, never downloaded those.
I don't think you are but in case you're really interested, I suggest contacting Mailanka on his discord. He's nice enough.
>>
>>92411154
I'll do that, thanks anon.
>>
Is there a way to transfer damage your allies would take to yourself?
The closest I could find would be Healing with Range, Empathetic and Reflexive or some such, but I'd like to actually PREVENT damage to my allies, so they don't have a chance to be crippled, and then reduce the damage that is prevented before applying it to the character, but Healing doesn't work like that.
>>
>>92410802
Depends on the actual adventure style encountered. If the problem is that you're playing in a very combat-heavy game, you need to make them more combat-effective. If the problem is that they are being overshadowed by spell-for-everything wizards when dealing with traps, then you need a different approach.
The short answer for thieves is to use DFD: Thieves, especially the new talents (notably, let baseline thieves take Craftiness) and for combat-heavy games the Cutthroat (Weapon Master is often the key to unlocking serious combat ability).
For bards, there isn't really much hope.
>>
>>92411629
DR, with something like Force Field, Area Effect, Affects Others, and Nuisance Effect (Damage Affects Me)?
I'm sure there's rules for sacrificial dodge, where instead of avoiding an attack you get in the way of one, but I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>92410763
Not interested at all anymore?
>>
>>92411967
>I'm sure there's rules for sacrificial dodge, where instead of avoiding an attack you get in the way of one, but I can't seem to find it.
Basic Set, p.375.
Weirdly, although it cancels your retreat for the turn, it doesn't seem to be limited to once per turn, so in theory you could do this an unlimited number of times without penalty, moving a step each time. I think common sense implies that you can only do it if you have a retreat 'available', unless you're stopping an attack which goes through your hex.
>>
>>92410802
>Thief
Scout or Swashbuckler with Thief lens
>Bard
Needs no help. Access to two very useful colleges of magic, plus bardsong abilities (already good options in DF1, even better ones in DF11), plus stupid-high reaction/influence mods both in the dungeon and back in town make them quite capable already. That being said, Delvers-to-Grow has an advantage for Bards that grants access to additional colleges; you’ll never have a Wizard’s breadth or raw casting power, but you can branch out into something like Body Control, Air, Sound, Illusion & Creation, or Protection & Warning. Making & Breaking might be an interesting choice, depending on if the GM lets Inspired Creation affect your compositions for Selling the Tale (DF2:15).
>>
>>92410802
Some ideas for alternative bards which might be less weak:
Beast Charmer: gets Animal Empathy and Animal college spells instead of C&E/MC ones. Loses anything that only affects sentient targets, but gets all kinds of animal-related crap, including being able to wrangle dire animals and the like.
Jester: DX-centric build, focused on thrown weapons and mobility (especially Acrobatics and Acrobatic Dodge). Only basic powers and no spells.
Skald: doesn't need an instrument (Song limited magery), focus on Enthrallment, languages, and knowledge skills. Expert at turning sentient foes into temporary allies.
Spellsinger: full-blown caster, using four colleges (Air, C&E, MC, Sound) and Musical limitation on magery, for a 60% discount.
>>
>>92410802
Just use the Rogue from Pyramid instead of Thief template. Bards aren't weak though since they are the main caster-fighter template.
>>
>>92412165
>the madman threw himself in front if 20 bullets shot at 20 men!
>>
>>92412165
>>92412879
>That one retarded scene in Justice League where Wonder Woman saves children from a Tommy gun, by moving with the aim point of the gun and blocking every bullet
>>
What's a good minimum skill for a game that's not combat centric, but still has it as a major element? 14 or so? (TL6ish and primarily using guns, for context.)
>>
>>92413242
keep in mind that for non time critical non combat skills you can often take more time to do something
>>
>>92413585
Meant combat skill specifically, sorry.
>>
>>92413242
Depends on a lot of factors, but 14 should be OK for most cases. You can reliably hit someone with a pistol at point blank range without aiming, reach out to maybe 20 yards with aimed shots from a pistol (Acc 2, +1 for AoA; you want to get some cover before trying that against anyone who can shoot back) or unaimed with a shotgun. With a rifle you've got reasonable odds at 100 yards. Most 'realistic' opponents (e.g. gangsters, beat cops, mediocre soldiers) are going to be skill 11-13, so you've got a bit of an edge. Certainly not enough to be casual about getting into firefights though. If outnumbered, out-gunned, or just unlucky, you will die. Skill 14 is 'better than average' not 'action movie badass'.
If you're facing monsters, you can expect them to get close (although speed may be a factor) so skill 14 should be enough to hit. Whether those hits result in actual effect depends more on your weapon (and ammo) than skill (although anything that needs to be shot through the skull demands much higher skill).
>>
>>92415337
Mostly dealing with other normal humans or normal wild animals, so thankfully no monsters to deal with. But definitely not going for guns blazing as the first possible option.
Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>92346954
Can someone give examples in what each level of Unnatural Features would be?
>>
>>92415976
Horror has several examples, although they seem a bit arbitrary.
>>
>>92415976
>>92416015
Weird eyes [-1] (lamia's serpent eyes, fantasy wendigo victim's glowing eyes, bio-tech cat eye transplant) (glowing eyes become a Supernatural Feature in Horror's version of the wendigo, but it isn't clear what their price is... seems to be zero once you add up all the other shit on the wendigo's temporary disadvantages)
Alien invader has [-5] described as 'usually the eyes' (must be worse than lamia and wendigo's)
Weird hair [-1] (jiangshi's greenish hair, 'bone white hair', wendigo victim's matted hair)
Claw-like fingernails [-1] (jiangshi)
'Grotesque purple swellings' (plague attack in Horror, bubonic plague in bio-tech) [-1]
Abnormal skin colour [-1] (wendigo victim's 'sallow', various bio tech skin replacements including green and yellow) to [-5] (paleface's chalk-white)
Foldable solar sail [-1]!
Long (or monstrous) tongue [-1] (in Fantasy, but this is changed to a Supernatural Feature [-5] in Horror)
'Classic mark of lycanthropy' [-1] (e.g. monobrow, hairy palms, hair inside the mouth, ring and middle finger same length - this is from Fantasy's werewolf; seems like it should be Supernatural Features to me, but Horror changes it to Distinctive Features - oddly no werewolf template seems to include any of these in wolf form, whereas in folklore it's much more common for weird features to be apparent in the wolf form, such as lacking a tail or having human eyes)
Bulging forehead [-1]
Tek-rat parahuman in BT has 'rodent-like face, tail, and marsupial pouch' for a total of [-2], fenris parahuman has [-2] too for tail, fur, wolf-like face, felicia catgirls are [-2] for similar, as are chronos, but lepus are only [-1] although it doesn't specify what features they have. 'Furry' pleasure bioroid has [-1] for fur, tail, and ears. Camazotz get [-1] for fur, fangs, big ears, and wings! Selkies get [-1] for grey skin and webbed hands/feet, and the chimera version add another [-1] for animal features, and tritons get another [-1] for gills.
>>
>>92416514
Basically, it's a total shit-show. There doesn't seem to be much consistency with the rule that UF are not suitable for 'normal' cosmetic elements of your racial template. Most authors seem to have assumed that each distinct feature is one quirk, regardless of how weird it is. Exceptions are bio-tech often only giving [-1] or [-2] for multiple elements, alien invader having poorly defined UF5 and evil clowns getting [-5] when every other weird skin (including ones much harder to hide with, or pass-off as, makeup) gets only [-1].
Template Toolkit 2 has some more examples:
A swarm of small creatures trying to pass for a humanoid (or presumably other single being) has the equivalent of UF5.
Living drawings (like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit) have UF5.
An expressionless 'mannequin' robot has UF2 (UF3 if only the face and hands are sculpted, per UT), while realistic one with plastic skin and muscles has UF1.
Also found an example of an individual character with UF in Fantasy: Geaticus the Chaldean has semi-translucent flesh [-1].
>>
>>92416015
>>92416514
>>92416808
I'll go with the Bio-Tech take as the closest to what I'm looking for. Thank you for trying to decipher this.
>>
DF character, Orc + Savage Barbarian (adjusted to remove Gigantism and redundant social stigma).
>>
Just want to say that this is one of the few good generals on the board for actual game discussion, and thank you all for helping with both the good questions and the stupid ones. Getting my game going finally and hoping it works out.
>>
>>92420806
I agree, it's pretty good here, if slow sometimes.
Tell us about your game, anon.
>>
>>92421341
Been playing (and watching friends play) a good chunk of After the End for CK3, ended up deciding I wanted to run something in the same vein. Drawing on Fallout NV's Honest Hearts a fair bit, going back to Canticle for Leibowitz for other parts, and a dash of Dogs in the Vineyard's premise, and ended up with something weirdly similar to a low-level Dark Heresy game; a traveling judge and his companions riding the circuit around part of the post-apocalyptic Southwest, helping push back encroaching danger and make the fledgling state a safer place.
Cast as of right now is:
>the judge, with a fairly broad array of average to slightly above average skills; he's a decent people person, book smart, and capable of holding out in a fight, but not excellent at any one skill (I think his highest is a 14)
>the technician, a salvager sent to accompany the judge out onto the frontier; great technical skills, terrible people skills except for scaring off outside interference
>the scout, descendant of an old military unit that holed up in a bunker, exploring the world outside their safe zone to eventually report back; best combatant of the group by a good margin, socially awkward due to the isolation, has been in the region longer than the first two and so has more knowledge/etc
>not appearing in the first session due to scheduling: the witch, a psionic masquerading as a faith healer that hasn't been ferreted out yet; an overly nice farm boy who's barely left the town they're starting in, but has a pretty good reputation and decent to good social skills, plus a smattering of others

Got through character creation, sorting out the first "adventure" still, probably recovering someone from raiders or something of the like. I'm hopeful for it.
>>
According to GURPs size modifier table a Reticulated Python and Rhino standing still are both as easier to hit as each-other.
...or for a more abstract example an infinitely wide plane with the height of two electrons is as easy to hit as an infinitely wide plane that is also infinitely tall.
I feel like the smallest dimension is going to more consistently accurately represent the difficulty of hitting a target.
>>
>>92422733
It depends on the attack type. Thrusting or missile attacks, sure, use the smallest dimension; it’s hard to shoot a rope, for example. For swinging attacks, though, longest is appropriate; it’s quite hard to miss a long length of rope when swinging a sword!

In fact, I think this is already assumed by some GURPS rules, even if it’s normally unstated. Gun-Fu explicitly says ropes are shot at -13, so they’re definitely using the rope’s diameter of ~1/2” in that example, not its overall length. Meanwhile, weapon lanyards can be cut and are attacked at -6; this is obviously based on their overall length rather than diameter, probably because the writer assumes you’re trying to cut it with a swinging attack.
>>
File: .pdf (110 KB, PDF)
110 KB
110 KB PDF
>>92422733
>>92423656
HTMLfaggot to the rescue!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.