[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cos-rp.jpg (51 KB, 670x370)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Playing Curse of Strahd with a group of friends and I worry I may be in a "That Guy" moment due to genuinely considering my character betraying the party to ally with Strahd.

For context my character is a Dhampir, the son of a full on Vampire Noblewoman who had a child with a human she was rather fond of. Years later she ended up as a romantic interest for Strahd himself, as a passing interest since he doesn't have his true 'bride' around obviously. Character's mom goes missing, he tracks her along with the rest of the party into Barovia for their own reasons.

My character knows who Strahd is, knows how powerful he is, that you don't fuck with this guy. He's tried to play the 'Game' of keeping Strahd entertained ever since getting to Barovia. But the party just keeps escalating problems, picking fights, causing havoc, ruining what little relationships we can acquire and maintain.

So the DM approached me after a session and asked if I wanted to have a private talk with Strahd. He's offering my character the chance to walk out with his Mother. All he has to do is betray the group who have ignored all advice on not prodding the giant evil vampire lord and everyone we meet.

>Would I be "That Guy" if I take the deal?
>DM Swore after a 21 insight check that Strahd is being totally truthful
>>
>>92772043
No.
>>
>>92772043
What's sensible for your character may not be well received by the other players. It all depends on their attachment to their own characters, you can't count on them to not hold a grudge against you instead of your character.

Speak to your DM about this concern, see if he'll be willing to work in an arc where your character gets stiffed on the deal, or if you can retire him and play a new one intent on murdering your old character, his mum and Strahd.
>>
>>92772043
Your character is going to have to exit the campaign whatever happens after you betray the group. Either escaping with their mother, or getting murdered by their companions.
>>
>>92772043
I'd say in-character you are well within your rights to betray your party. OOC, I'd say you should betray them in a manner that they can clock on to or avoid. Drop some dramatic hints, or leave them in a situation where either you can rejoin the party with a new character and hope to finish the adventure, or return with your Dhampir in a "Ok my mom is safe and I felt bed about leaving you for dead" twist in some appropriately dramatic moment.
You should strive to create a situation with the GM where your PC's betrayal would be a dramatic twist along a narrative path, rather than a party wipe.
>>
>>92772093
>>92772133
>>92772144
Dhampir has expressed to the party quite a few times that we have to bide our time and actually make friends along the way. The only people that KIND of like us are the Vastani because we saved some of them, we tend to make enemies everywhere we go otherwise. Like to the point of running out places to actually go, at this point. Where it feels like, IC, we're at a wall of 'our' own making in some way.

I really like this character, I want him to do well. While I realize it's the permanent cop out it really is starting to feel like "Well this is just what my character would do" in a hopeless situation where the party just keeps digging holes deeper and deeper y'know?
>>
>>92772043
Yeah, do it for the lulz. Just because Strahd says he'll let her go doesn't mean she wants to go the party will be fall for Strahd's plan when your character betrays them, like >>92772144 says it can make for a cool twist if set up well. Just know from now on you have a dm you'll know you can never trust not to have a plant ready to betray every pc.
>>
>>92772043
Yes. You are absolutely "That Guy" if you decide to take the bait.
You knew the goal of the campaign from the start. It's in the fricking name. It doesn't matter if "That's what my character would do." That's just a cop out.

You are playing a game to have fun with a group of people. Taking that bait means you are going out of your way to screw over your peers at their expense.
>>
>>92772043
It really depends on the group's social contract. Some groups will be offended at the very idea of a party betrayal because the expectation is you will cooperate no matter what. Some groups will accept that a character whose goals have become strongly opposed to those of the party will turn on them. I wouldn't be personally offended by such a betrayal, but I can see why others would. It's honestly one of those things that should be worked out beforehand but in practice most people just assume everyone shares the same principle.

The compromise position is to betray the party in such a way that it doesn't become a TPK or extreme setback. That's probably in character, too, unless your PC really hates the party. Executed properly, this ends up as essentially a dramatized PC retirement. Perhaps he can sabotage whatever trap Strahd has in mind without revealing it?
>>
>>92772093
This is the correct answer. Stuff like this tends to work better with groups who've been playing together for a while and all like each other, too.
>>
>>92772093
doubling this as a forever DM. The idea you and the DM have makes sense plotwise and is kinda cool even. DnD and roleplaying in general shouldn't block these kinds of stories. However, to not put a full stop to everyone else's fun, a follow-up campaign allowing to restore the damage this caused them is sensible. And I really like the idea that your old character might return as an antagonist, it might be cool :o
>>
The DM is offering it so it is fair game.
Don't expect to survive it. Your character will either be an NPC or dead after it. So time to start discussing your next character with the DM if you do it.
>>
Does an idea like this ever actually work out in the betrayer's favor because IC it totally could but on an OOC Meta standpoint, it kinda sucks you're just gonna lose because otherwise the game would end
>>
Sounds like a DM's fault thing
>>
>>92772043
we had a similar character in our run, what we did was have him attempt to double cross Strahd. At the end of the campaign he owned his castle. I became burgomaster of Vallaki. All was well.
>>
>Hello everyone, for this campaign of Rampage of the Dinosaurs, I have decided to play John Halfdinosaur, the half dinosaur.
>He is a half dinosaur who thinks the T-rex King is a pretty rad dude we probably shouldn't fuck with despite the premise of Rampage of the Dinosaurs being actively fucking with him.
>Oh no, why do you all keep fucking with the T-rex King's plans.
>In a plot twist no one could have seen coming, the T-rex King thinks I'm actually a pretty rad dude and wants me to join his Rampage Legion if I club all of my friends to death while they sleep.
>/tg/, does it make me a that guy if I've engineered a character that would most certainly betray them?
>>
>>92789998
Half-breeds tend to side with their human half. See: Alucard. Even in this case OP's character doesn't really want to side with Strahd so much as get out of his way and achieve his goal.
>>
>>92772043
If the GM is open to it, you think your character would do it, and you are ok with playing against your party. Why not?

If you are not willing to go all the way, maybe you could try deceiving the guy and helping your party in some ways?
>>
>>92772043
Is the deal actually to turn on the party, or just walk away and not help them further? If the latter, you should probably accept the deal. They may be down a member, but at least on this route you're not actively working against them.

But if it is the latter, could you get out with your Character's mother, then perhaps come back in when she's safe to provide a last-minute save of some sort?
>>
>>92772093
This this 100 times this, 1000 times if you are with people unfamiliar with you.
Am having something scarily similar happening in my own COS game and it has caused alot of hostility out if game because it has come across as extremely selfish of the accused player/character. That they only care about themselves and their own story as opposed to actively engaging with the group and giving a fuck about the effort and time everyone ELSE has put in. And because we dont know this player very well, theres no last context of
>"Oh thats Jim we know he's an awesome presence at the table, he's just adding some spice and drama to the game."
There is a fine line with everything, even "Playing Your Character Truthfully" and you should consider how your actions could affect peoples feelings above board, especially in a setting thats already very very dark and tense.
>>
>>92772043
In my games betraying the party is equivalent to retiring your character. Your character would become an NPC.
>>
If everyone else is playing like murderhobo retards then why are anons ITT concerned about their feelings
OP do you even enjoy playing with them, that's the real question
>>
>>92772043
You were already "That Guy" when you came to the table and introduced your character anon.
The only way to play it out without doubling down on being "that guy" is to announce your betrayal to the party as you spring a trap on them, let them rightfully murder you, and come in with an appropriate character for the campaign ie someone who is here to kill Strahd
>>
>>92789998
>I've engineered
The DM has engineered* Remove the meeting with Strahd and this all vanishes.
>>
Bunch of slack-jawed faggots that have never actually had fun in a game in their god damned lives.
>>
File: 1715365414249110.jpg (57 KB, 540x532)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>92772043
I tried this once
>build an old Gnome Necromancer
>idea was he's a coward who is supremely afraid of dying
>the kind of guy in a zombie movie who "admires their purity" and such
>game is a first time DM college friend, not great so far
>I'm the only proactive party member, everyone else is a noncommittal wholesome pronoun chungus type
>miss a few sessions, me and DM decide to do a 1-on-1 sesh to catch me up to speed
>my PC got lost in Barovia, ended up running into Strahd himself
>he offers me a boon if I betray the party
>I accept it immediately, I don't know any of those people, they just came on this job with me
>DM is way into it, loves that there's a mole in the party, gonna make for great drama and a shocking reveal
>we leave happy
>next session, start up
>"You see anon wander into camp after several days away from the party. You notice he's very pale and has two puncture wounds in his neck. Also he's wearing a curious ring shaped like a bat."
>throw my hands up
The campaign ended shortly after lol
>>
>>92789998
>Hello everyone, for this campaign of Rampage of the Dinosaurs, I have decided to play John Halfdinosaur, the half dinosaur.
>He is a half dinosaur who thinks we should deal with the T-Rex King in a tactically intelligent way, since the T-Rex King could easily overpower us if he grows wise to our plans
>Oh no, why do you all keep fucking with the T-Rex King's plans in such stupid ways and self-sabotaging any attempts to gain allies in our fight against the T-Rex King
>In a plot twist no one could have seen coming, the T-rex King correctly guessed that I'm the only reasonable party member and has offered to show me mercy by granting me the one thing that is the entire reason I'm fucking with him in the first place; in return I just have to betray the people whose efforts have so far all but guaranteed our deaths at the hands of the T-Rex King
>/tg/, does it make me a that guy if my character acts according to his goals instead of continuing to babysit players who just want to kill mobs?
>>
>>92791079
I agree with this. Make whatever choice you want in-character or story-wise. But you can't expect that the structure of getting together and playing the game to support that, like now you get to side with the DM vs the rest of the PCs in future sessions or whatever. Same with splitting the party permanently--I mean sure if the DM is cool with running two separate groups, great, but you can't expect it. It's too big of an ask.
>>
>>92772043
If your GM had a brain he'd be having you already prepare a new character so your current one can join the antagonists.

This kind of thing is fun and I've allowed in my own games, but it's ridiculous to let the PLAYER become an antagonist to their fellow players. The character is no longer your own once they do this kind of thing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.