[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: My precious.jpg (400 KB, 1024x768)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
Previously: >>93250038
Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8
This general encompasses all board game genres, whether it be Euro, American, Warfare, or Card-driven
>TQ:
>When are thematic rules good, and when are they an annoyance? What thematic flair really stood out to you in a game?
>>
File: 3gzjfj-1341804122.jpg (398 KB, 1920x1273)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
Actually played Agricola solo much more correctly and got 44 points this time
It's a pretty fun little puzzle, I can see why the gulag was so hyped about it
But man, does playing with other people sound brutal. It's tough enough to figure out your own actions, if somebody else is throwing a wrench in your plans by taking up the spaces you want I can't imagine getting more than 35-ish points.
>>
>>93265771
So you didnt really ’play’ it. I think thats more of a simulation
>>
>>93265864
Yeah probably, but hey solitaires can be cozy. Sometimes I just want to move around little bits and manage strategic puzzles and not always can I get others to do it with me. Plus I want to get a feel for Agricola before teaching it. It has a pretty easy ruleset but is BRUTALLY difficult in practice.
>>
castles of burgundy pretty darn good
sky team also fun
maybe i just like dice placement
>>
>>93265771
>>93265898
Had the same with Fields of Arle. Fun little thing to fiddle around with and actually putting your farm down is cozy as fuck.
The action board looks kinda ass though and some of the actions just seem too mandatory like upgrading your tools. So in a solo game there is literally no reason not to take the field first thing every round.
>>
I played a couple games of pax transhumanity, and the theme was my favorite part of the game, it did feel like I was playing an advanced company researching future topics, I've always liked scifi so it was fun
>>
wingspan is a below average game
>>
>>93265958
I remember that the the game had a dominant strategy by getting all the disks out (it's been some time so I can't remember exactly). Has this changed?
>>
File: Hitster.jpg (169 KB, 1201x900)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
What are some actual good party games? I.e. weight below 2 on the gulag and allows for more than 6 players?
>>
>>93266046
Werewolf + booze = a blast
>>
>>93265747
>This general encompasses all board game genres, whether it be Euro, American, Warfare, or Card-driven
Based
>>93265771
Oh, the competitive game definitely is where it's at. Still one of the best euros. Sure it's brutal, but you are starved enough for actions that actively ruining another players round with no gain (eg taking away the sheep he desperately needs as food source, but was in no rush to take because nobody else can cook them) is almost obscene. It's a very statisfying game.
>>
You
YES YOU
Name the last Kickstarter or Gamefound organized boardgame that you thought was actually good
>>
>>93265771
Now get 30 points in Glass Road my dude
>>
>like Cole’s games generally
>hate SUSD
>SUSD review says Arcs is the greatest game ever to exist
Now I’m torn.
>>
>>93266163
I like black rose wars rebirth, but I got it used and it's available in retail.
The whole all in package is basically mental illness.
Other than that, nothing comes to mind.
>>
>>93266163
Arcs is pretty great
>>
>>93266189
I think tom said oath was his favourite game at some point. You cannot possibly trust someone who likes Oath that much. I sincerely think it was the worst designed game I played in the last 4 or so years.
>>
Talked a bit with Cole yesterday. He was pretty excited that you guys like Arcs so much
>>
Glass Road or Broom Service?
>>
>>93266163
i thought frostpunk board game would be good, but it doesn't work outside the video game.
>>
>>93266199
Coletists should be shot
>>
>>93266226
What else did he say?
>>
>>93266163
See >>93266199

>>93266189
Maybe play it for yourself and decide for yourself?
>>
File: 1600033525821.png (1.01 MB, 776x804)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>93266377
>using "yourself" twice in the same sentence
Probably ignore my opinion, I'm clearly retarded.
>>
>>93266250
Honestly is there any good city-building board game?
>>
>>93266189
A broken clock can be correct twice a day. As other anon says, go play it.
>>
To the anons who have played all 3 games in knizias early auction trilogy (ra, modern art, medici) where would you rank medici?
>>
>>93266046
codenames
>>
>>93266604
Last and it isn’t close
>>
>>93266604
I've not played ra, but I like it a lot more than modern art.
>>
>>93266163
Europa Universalis
Eylau 1807: Battles of Napoleon
Weimar: The Fight for Democracy
>>
>>93266163
Uh, FlickFleet Xeno Wars?
I don't do a lot of crowdfunding purchases.
>>
>>93266398
Sprawlopolis
Ginkgopolis
>>
>>93266398
Antiquity.
Thought I'll admit late game you are building new cities entirely as corpse repositories.
>>
>>93266391
Relax, I took it as dramatic emphasis. Pictured you pounding on the table to make your point.
>>
File: revive.jpg (2.28 MB, 4032x3024)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
Anyone played Revive? What do you think? What's the good and the bad?
>>
Yes of course I Will pay a hundred dollars for a 25 year old game with some ugly colours slapped onto it
>>
>>93266377
Yourself used twice, retard opinion discarded
>>
>>93266604
Im also wondering this but for his tile laying trilogy (T&E, Samurai, Desert)
>>
File: 1688464683487742.gif (2.77 MB, 480x270)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB GIF
>>93267542
>>
File: FMJ.jpg (56 KB, 508x450)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>move to foreign country
>go on date with colleague
>goes excellent
>she wants to go a board game cafe this week
>gets excited to play something called Rummikub

can I get the rummikub qrd? I've never seenbefore it in America but I've seen it here. Must be pretty popular.
>>
>>93267716
>rummikub
oh no...she's jewish...
>>
>>93267722
>jewish
I dont get it, the game looks like scrabble.
and no, she's south korean and she's very cute.
>>
>>93267743
Can you post a picture?
>>
>>93267716
rummikub is just rummy but with tiles instead of cards... 10 seconds on google would have told you this
>>
>>93267808
Rummy games don't typically allow you to split up melds or avoid drawing cards.
I'll grant you that the Rummikub deck is just two standard packs plus two jokers.
>>
File: Rummikub.jpg (351 KB, 1069x1068)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>>93267716
https://youtu.be/x5rTaBHSCFU?t=438
Cards in play are in groups of three or more consecutive ranks in the same suit or three or more identical ranks in different suits.
You can play cards from your hand or ~from groups in play~ as long as all groups in play are valid at the end of your turn.
At the end of your turn you draw a card from the deck if you didn't play at least one card from your hand.

If no groups are in play yet you can only play a group if the total rank of it's cards is at least 30.
Jokers are wild cards, but they do have to substitute actual cards (they can't be a 0, a 14, or a 5th suit).

The object of the game is to empty your hand.
There are scoring rules for playing multiple hands which boil down to: losing with low rank cards in hand is better than losing with high rank cards (or jokers).
>>
Eklund - all theme, shitty mechanics
Knizia - all mechanics, shitty theme
ColeGOD - perfect balance of theme and mechanics
>>
>>93266046
Between Two Cities (weight of 1.82 and you can play with 7).

>>93266163
Lots of them, honestly. Crowdfunding is mostly bad because the prices are inflated, not because the games themselves are inherently bad.
>>
>>93267918
CHADsenberg - TILES
>>
>>93266604
Modern Art>Ra>Medici they are all great though.
>>
>>93267743
>Rummikub was invented by Ephraim Hertzano, a Romanian-born Jew, who emigrated to Israel after World War II.[2] He hand-made the first sets with his family in the backyard of his home. Hertzano sold these sets door-to-door and on a consignment basis at small shops. Over the years, the family licensed it to other countries and it became Israel's best-selling export game
>>
>>93267631
Its a bog standard 7/10 "It's okay." euro. Nothing special, nothing awful.
>>
File: 1716095598420843.png (717 KB, 1024x768)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
>>93267943
>Crowdfunding is mostly bad because the prices are inflated, not because the games themselves are inherently bad.
This.
>>
>>93267633
we truly r out here gentrifying classic board games
>>
>>93267633
El Grande (2023) -> $45 MSRP
El Grande (2015) -> $170 resale
El Grande (2006) -> $140 resale
El Grande (1996) -> $170 resale

Which of the drugs are you on?
>>
>>93268217
>Which of the drugs are you on?
The type that burnt out so long ago that the only thing giving the same high are (you)s
>>
>>93267879
>I'll grant you that the Rummikub deck is just two standard packs plus two jokers.
You can play Yaniv with a Rummikub set.
>>
File: Expeditions.jpg (164 KB, 741x900)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
anyone here play/played expedition? how is the game? what is the component quality?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (461 KB, 870x722)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>>93268222
>>
>>93268217
I have the 2023 edition and it's pretty nice all things considered. I only wish there was a wooden castillo upgrade available, the cards were TCG standard instead of American Poker and mini euro, and that they made the expansions available for the new version.
>>
>>93268226
>yes
>it's okay
>they're fine except the minis don't always fit in their colored rings
>>
>>93267976
>>93267943
The prices are inflated, yes, and the games are not inherently bad. Yet the model massively favors style over substance, quantity over quality. Don't know if the miss quota is that much worse compared to "standard" boardgames though, we might just not hear of a large part of the releases.
>>
>>93268311
>it's okay
anything that made it stand out or interesting?

>they're fine except the minis don't always fit in their colored rings
that was the standard edition, right?
>>
>>93268395
Anon, without knowing much about the game: it's a stonemaier game and the obvious (spiritual?) successor to scythe. It has to be truly forgettable for the hype around it to die THIS fast; I've not heard anything about it.
>>
>>93266163
If you buy base versions of games on gamefound or whatever it's totally fine.

All in's are whale bait and fomo, you can always find those shits for dirt cheap online after a couple months because no one wants them
>>
>>93268450
>Nooooooo you can't just buy base game, that's actually a loss for us
>>
>>93268395
>anything that made it stand out or interesting?
No
>that was the standard edition, right?
I believe so
>>
>>93266226
Did he rape you?
>>
>>93265989
The dominant strategy depended on which ideas were commercialized most recently, not the disks, those represented the student companies you could put into various fields. I thought the dominant strategy was supposed to reflect how the world would react to the latest developments introduced by the players, like how in history everyone decided to compete in the Space race or how personal computing led to everyone hopping into that train and focusing on electronics. There was also a win condition where if you introduced enough ideas in the same area to the market, you'd forcibly push the world into the future and change the usual win conditions to something else. Best scifi theme in a board game that I've played so far, if you can manage to read through rules and footnotes well enough it's cool
>>
>>93268226
I don't know who was clamoring for Scythe with the combat removed, but if you don't hate a low-interaction puzzley game it's decent. Production is great.
>>93268445
>let me subject you to my strong opinions about a game I've never played
I love you guys
>>
>>93268593
Why do people on this site keep calling Cole Wehrle a rapist? It's pretty insulting; I've never been convicted of rape.
>>
>>93266163
Has there ever been a good kickstarter game?
As in a game with over 20 minis, over $150 and several boxes, besides the base game, with expansions
>>
>>93268958
>As in a game with over 20 minis, over $150 and several boxes, besides the base game, with expansions
I was gonna say EU PoP but it’s excluded by that.
>>
>>93268958
Yes. The Castles of Burgundy game is a bargain. Everyone knows how to play it, comes with a boatload of expansions, just the right amount of chrome. The only things I don't like are the acrylic monastery tiles don't include descriptions of the perks and the all-in 3d buildings slow the game down a lot.

We played it 3 times this weekend already with a mix of expansions - fun each time.
>>
>>93268817
I'd normally agree but I did preface the post with not knowing much about it, and I find it hard to dismiss what I said.
>>93269145
Good bait, gotta respect that here's a (you)
>>
>>93269223
>Good bait, gotta respect that here's a (you)
NTA but check your autism
>>
File: 1716476053499230.png (228 KB, 489x331)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
>>93265771
You can be super cut throat in competitive if you want to, but I think most people tend to stick to cutting off strategic paths (ie major improvements, getting the next worker) moreso than straight up calculatory denial.
In a lot of ways, it's how the perfect plan you drafted is constantly shifting that makes makes Agri really shine.
>I was going to get some Wood to prevent my pasture from overflowing but ooh that clay pile is looking plump and I could get a fireplace earlier - oh yeah, the other guy has a card that forces him him to upgrade to clay rooms early so he'll definitely take it this turn but ooh if I slaughter my sheep I'll be unable to use my minor improvement...
And so on
Solo is comfy, but unlike his later sandboxy ones, Aggri is so highly focused on efficiency that adding on more variable for tension is just elevating to another level.
Of course, I think the biggest tell is playing MP then going back to Solo. For Fields, Odin the difference is slightly felt on the mechanical level. For Agri, it really is a different beast.
Also there's the solo variant based on Odin (use 2 worker colors, alternate between them) if you don't want to use a bot but still want to tap into that tactical side mp brings
>>
>>93269237
Come on, I don't believe someone would use CoB as example of crowdfunding. Especially the +250 euro "bargain" with dysfunctional minis.
>>
>>93269279
Fields was intended as a more relaxed experience and I appreciate it as such. Just chill on the farm, make some leather and sell it halfway across the country, drain a local bog and turn it into a wheat field. It's the ultimate love letter for bucolic life.
>>
>>93269223
>>93269403
I don't see why not. You didn't have to get the full chrome edition - there was a $70 tier for the game with just cardboard and all the expansions that was still produced extremely well and was an upgrade in quality in every way from the original versions. Plays exactly the same at every tier.

If you're saying that it was bad because it offered different options that you could purchase at different price points based on your tolerance for bling -- well that's just silly.

Where Kickstarters get it wrong is releasing expanded content as an add-on purchase or Kickstarter exclusive content. That's DLC and micro-transaction nonsense that drove a lot of people away from video and PC gaming and will do the same thing to board gaming. Arcs is a great example of this - get the tard version of the game for $60 or get the actual version of the game that we intended people to play for $160.
>>
File: file.png (915 KB, 2208x1535)
915 KB
915 KB PNG
>>93265747
Are kallax any good? They look nice but seems like it has limited space dimensions wise and they cost $200. I currently have two of these the left ones that got for $35 or 40 each and you can somewhat adjust the height of the shelves. Have close to 300 games plus a lot of expansions that I'm trying to cut down into the main boxes
>>
File: 1680912859996231.png (193 KB, 1000x1200)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>93267918
>eklund
>shitty mechanics
unironically skill issue
>>
>>93269647
Neither. I am saying it was a baitpost because it was clearly said that the full on insane 3d tile version is a bargain. On top of using a new version of a 10 year old game as an example for good ks games. Which might be a me thing, but it does seem dishonest to me.
>>
>>93267631
It's ok. Nothing really wrong with it. But it's missing something to make it stand out, to have an edge. Very solitaire play. Minimum interaction on the board. It just doesn't stand out among other games. Good for everyone, great fo no one.
>>
>>93269680
I like uncle phils thematic autism, but his designs for me are almost defined by the theme over everything philosophy. Sometimes someone he can (with help) transcend his autism and make genuinely brilliant games (pax ren), sometimes his autism is the reason people flock to the game despite its mechanics (High Frontier) and sometimes, it's just a clunky mess with complicated terminology on top.
>>
>>93269659
Youtubers certainly seem to think so.
>>
>>93269902
>people flock to the game despite its mechanics (High Frontier)
The mechanics are the selling point. You have to play a half a dozen painful learning games and then you finally have your telepathic rats harvest isotopes in time for the freighter to pick it up as your thruster stack slingshots around Mercury and they meet up in the Ceres belt only 4 burns away from your generation ship bidding goodbye to this entire gay solar system and you finally get a little taste of how the herbs in the Houston mission control felt when they overpowered the clunky mechanics of Earth. It's thematic AF and there's no way to divorce that from the mechanics, it's a work of genius, though if you want to chalk it up to autism I won't split hairs
>>
>>93269862
>it was clearly said that the full on insane 3d tile version is a bargain.
That was said nowhere in that comment. Clearly.
>>
>>93269647
the tard version of arcs is sellable at Target to actual tards (who should enjoy it - imagine how much it would blow your mind coming from risk and monopoly) and could make them mass market money. I think they needed to do it after Oath which is super niche - and the expansion is there for anyone who actually will play it
the base game is quality though, i enjoy it over any game of root that isn't 4 experienced players
>>
>>93269404
Yeah and it's kind of the reason I'm still hesitant to play Caverna. Always seemed like a middle ground between the two that doesn't seem necessary.
But a ton of people love it so what do I know
>>
>>93270291
Caverna is more competitive than Agricola simply because there COULD be a fixed opening meta. In Agricola the cards provide each player with unique, personal ways of gaining VPs, Caverna only has a shared market, meaning that you are far less safe. Imagine if Agricola only had major improvements, thats Caverna.
>>
File: ah shit.png (500 KB, 1200x1200)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
I played 7 Wonders again... back on that Halikarnassos grind...
>>
>>93270188
My apologies, you are correct. I thought the acrylic tiles he mentioned were the insane 3d tiles. Still would not call that CoB base version for ~85 euro without shupping a bargain, but I was wrong nontheless.
>>
>>93270090
I don't disagree at all. Wasn't meant to be dismissive, I own HF4. As you say, the theme is the selling point.
>>
>>93269659
It's not really worth it for games other than for shit like the Too Many Bones battlechest that are specifically built to fit in Kallax squares.
It's an alright shelf but all the vertical walls make fitting larger boxes in a pain. The billy is a better shelf in general
>>
>>93270090
Its cool that you are able to immerse yourself in a ludo-narrative structures but lets be real, mechanically you did some auctions, then some set collection to build a "ship" and then roll-and-moved it around set linear path
>>
>>93267631
I hated it.
>Multiplayer solitaire point salad.
I can't stand games where you have 5 or 6 ways to get VPs and then you add it all up at the end to find out who won. Prefer the gameplay itself demonstrating who the leader is.
/bgg/ what is your favorite game of my most hated genre?
>>
I love board games and i love you anons?
Any cool shit you discovered lately? I played Splito, At the Office and Happy City, and i had fun with all of them. I'd go Splito/City/Office in that order
>>
>>93270977
It can be done well, Rococo is a good example because the systems all serve the core gameplay of making dresses. You're generally denying someone else an action, or trying to figure out what to take without getting denied yourself. Plus, all of the point gaining methods are very obvious. Now, in something like Concordia where no player is a credible threat to another players' engine and the worst thing you can do is buy a card someone might've wanted or make building a house more expensive, and it's not even easy to tell how many points you yourself are making then yeah, I can see where the objection lies.
>>
>>93270977
That's the worst part of Hansa Teutonica and it gets a pass.
>>
File: Bait.jpg (95 KB, 680x989)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>93271061
I haven't seen such prime board game bait in a while. Even if I gotta call it out I'm biting.
>>
>>93271072
There are 8 ways to get points and 5 of them get added up at the end of the game.
Or are you suggesting that "Hansa Teutonica gets a pass" is bait?
>>
File: Qwirkle.jpg (87 KB, 894x920)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>Mom, can we get Ingenious?
>We have Ingenious at home.
>>
>>93271098
I'm not suggesting it. I'm outright stating it, because you can clearly see who does better in a game of Hansa Teutonica. The winning player will have more trading posts, a bigger network, boss of more posts, upgrades that serve their game plan rather than against it (maxxing out book of knowledge and only putting one merchant on the board, etc). The gameplay itself is a clear demonstrator of who is doing better. HT isn't some Nu-Euro/Vital Lacerda trash of "Oh, well worker number 8 got the 4.5 points while your worker 4 just got 4.1, so sorry". EVERYTHING in Hansa T has a counter, what makes it so good is you never win by sprinkling points here and there. You have to counter what your opponent does, while also balancing proactively getting networks and upgrades of your own.
If someone spams action upgrades, You get posts by the upgrade spots for the points or clog up the route with tradesmen to get free displacements. If they don't take your bait, upgrade your bag so you're more efficient with fewer actions.
If you think they're going to take up Coellen, either rush endgame or take up the relevant trading posts.
Someone is painting a nice network? Upgrade privilege and get the tiebreaker posts.
They're going for the East-West connection? Either clog up the trading posts they need or spam cubes on the unavoidable routes for free displacements.
They're getting more upgrades than you? Starting taking up all of the bonus tokens to catch up.
They're taking the bonus tokens? Take some yourself so they're denied the biggest point boosts.
HT is NOT a point salad of "whee numbers go big". It's strategic counterplay that happens to use numbers. In point salads getting bigger numbers always wins, the end. In Hansa Teutonica, you can win games at 80 points or you can win them at 40.
>>
>>93271203
Lol the game I won doing barely any of this shit but collecting tons of bonus tiles says you're full of shit. I love Hansa but it's a point salad through and through.
>>
>solo player
>like Tableau and engine builder
>want a new game

Terraforming Mars Are Expedition. is it good? any recommendations for Solo/Solitaire Tableau or Engine Builder games?
>>
>>93271330
It's a Wonderful World always gets hyped up on the gulag for solo tableau but every cursory glance seemed pretty underwhelming
>>
>>93271279
Skill issue, the people you played against suck
>>
>>93271330
Nations has a good solo mode.
>>93271415
The point still stands.
>>
>>93271407
I looked into this. there are two massive issues when playing solo. massive deck the needs a lot of shuffling and that massive deck leads to solo games being way to luck driven. I read the game is perfect at 3-4 player, mostly at 4 players.
>>
>>93271461
Yeah my assumption is its one of the few decent soloable drafting games out there so it gets a bit of a pass a few things
>>
>>93271435
>Nations
huh, I have never heard of this game. I will look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>93270571
>and then roll-and-moved it
I wouldn't mind discussing mechanics with you but I don't think you can hold up your end of that conversation.
>>93271330
It's way too long and isolated for what it is with other players. It's great as a solo game.
>>
>>93268226
Really good looking game (mini are awesome) but it's terribly slow. Took us more than 3 hours. I never played Scythe so have no frame of reference but it was pretty simple euro fair. Not one I'd play again - too many other games that are better at 4p for 3+ hours.
>>
>>93270282
What if - hold on to your hats here - you just took all of the stuff in the base game - work with me - and put it in the campaign game to start with? Then - get ready for it - sell it for $100-120 bucks?*

Think about it - you don't have to commission two types of box art, manage two SKUs, spend a bunch of money on packaging and molds, coordinating discounts for retail, etc. You could take the product that you wanted everyone to play and put that product out there.

The only reason to break it up into two SKUs is to make margin off of consumers. That's fine but that stuff will end up biting you in the ass in the long run.

*sarcasm intended.
>>
>>93270977
Worst part of every euro in my opinion is failing to include a VP counter around the board or making in game VP scoring a tack on (ie Carnegie where you score maybe 10 VP during the game and another 125+ in end game scoring).

I can count on one hand how many euros are remotely playable for more than one session that don't include a VP tracker and have VP scoring during the game.
>>
>>93271407
I would never play Wonderful World solo. The pass-and-hate draft mechanic makes the game. More people the better.

The Race for the Galaxy app is what you want. You'll thank me after you realized you've played 600 games.
>>
>>93271203
Hansa Teutonica is now on my list of games to try. Thanks for the rec. No one asked, but here's my opinion of all the point salad games I've played.
>>93271847
You're onto something. Terraforming Mars and Brass are much more playable than something like Wingspan or Earth.
>>
>>93271797
Sarcasm is the weapon of the dimwitted. Learn not to rely on it to drive your point across.
>>
>>93271797
we'll have to see how it performs for them. i think it's reasonable to offer a product with low barrier to entry that is accessible but tight, and then upsell the fullest extent of the vision to enthusiasts and converts
the whole purpose is to make more money, but it's useful enough for consumers to have a smaller box for traveling to play the base game - and the modular campaign box insert design works very well for that
>>
File: WHERE IS HE.png (1.64 MB, 1170x1600)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
>>
Just played El Grande again. Yeah, it's definitely a top 5 for me. Even with this being my 3rd game in a row I got dead last, but this time by a HAIR. I had 95, Second place had 96 and first place had 98. I called a bluff on the Castillo poorly, had I been more bold I could've won outright. It's so much fun and the counterplays you can do are absolutely insane. I've never seen a non-war/card game have so many "fuck you" options, I love it
>>
Bohnanza or Sidereal Confluence?
>>
>>93273044
Both and Chinatown too. All different enough to survive on their own on a game shelf.
>>
>>93270571
HF4A movement is actually just spend resource to move. Rolling is for site claiming to see if there's anything useful there or if you just wasted all your fuel on your one and only spessflight to nowhere.
>>
>>93273044
both and Zoo Vadis
>>
File: 1677980654981689.gif (2.28 MB, 448x252)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB GIF
>>93265771
Now I'm up to 55 in solo, just using the A-deck. I have to play with other people. Do the other decks make the game easier/harder?
>>
>>93273420
Just how much do you enjoy sucking your friends' cocks?
>>
>>93273487
i also own John Company
>>
What'd anons play this weekend?
My family was over for a gathering, we played a few games of Startups, Zoo Vadis. I also got to play Pax Pamir with my cousin and his fiancée after most people had left. What a good time.
>>
>>93273633
Cockroach Poker
Elector Counts
Steamwatchers
The Duke
Small World of Warcraft
Legend of the 5 Rings LCG

Overall, not too bad
>>
>>93273633
Air, land and sea
Fallout the board game
Root

Got lucky with people coming over for a game night. Usually my group is really busy with work and life itself.
>>
>>93273633
Oath, Earthborne Rangers, Castles of Burgundy, Sky Team, and TRICKTAKERs
>>
How do I get out of the "Buy shiny new game" phase?
I have a pretty high income so dropping $300 on some all-in stuff doesn't phase me that much, but boxes are taking up a lot of space now and are not getting played
>>
>>93273887
if the space constraint doesn't get to you first then the gnawing shame of owning games you have never played will catch up to you eventually
i recommend playing them all a number of times and selling on whatever doesn't hit with you or your group
>>
>>93273887
Stop being a consoomer tool etc.
Now I think it's relatively normal for people new to boardgaming to get a LOT of games initially. Which isn't that bad, you can see what sticks and go from there. However, and this is the crucial part, play your fucking games. You might use the one-in-one-out principle when buying, but do play your fucking games. If you have no group, find one (easier said than done ofc) if you do, try to limit your purchases to what you can actually get to the table. The best games reward repeated play, slop shows its merits in the first game and gets ever worse.
I have a rule that at maximum 5% of my collection may be unplayed before getting something new, and it served me well, because there's enough times where even one (1) new game a month is too many to actually play it; even with almost a whole day of boardgaming each week. New stuff is exciting and your fingers itch...until the next shiny thing arrives and withing a few months you just want to get rid of it. Do not become like that.
>>
>>93273887
Its an addiction, like any other. You just have to find something else to fill the void in your soul
>>
>>93274141
>>93273958
Thanks brehs, I'll stop getting new ones today and adopt the one-in-one-out rule, that should take care of the storage issues. I already have a couple of groups to play with, my gripe is just that they heavily lean towards low weight games and I'm not basically stockpiling heavy games that never get played.
>>
>>93267905
okay it kind of sounds like Uno

>>93267808
I've heard of rummy but I have no clue how it's played

>>93267782
no, there is a non-zero chance some schizo is gonna find her and ruin this shit for me. I've waited too long for this and nobody is gonna fuck it up besides me.

just take my word for it, she has a heart shaped face and big eyes and a little pointy chin
>>
>>93270571
Yup. I went through the effort of learning it but I dont feel theres any depth. It feels rather linear and with random die rolls adder on top. I also checked out the expanded game and there are even MORE fiddly die rolls added on top. Thats not a good game design IMO
>>
>>93270571
>>93273157
>>93274192
HF4 is, no doubt, a masterpiece. But I do agree that it is not a good game, mechanically. That is somewhat irrelevant because it's not distractingly bad, and you get the game because the theme and hours put into it make it amazing. Where I think the game really falls apart with any group outside of physics-savy space enthusiasts is the flow of the game. Sitting there, calculating the whole journey and maybe even contingencies takes the vast amount of the game, and then you go through the motions which you hopefully remember. This also doesn't happen simulataneously; someone might be still looking for an essential rocket part or need more tanks and wants to get to the next round as quick as possible whilst you sit there and have to ponder because it does not make any sense to waste a turn. The rolls and randomness I can take despite disliking it in principle as the uncertainty of everything is pretty thematic, but the game produces too much downtime for me to seriously consider playing it with anything but said niche in a niche group.
It is the essential theme > everything else game. I believe eklund could easily have designed a more steamlined and gamey version of HF, but that's not what he set out to do. As is, I can very much respect the game from a distance, but it is an extremely niche product made way more popular than it has any right to be because of the amazing map. If you think you are into space, this is a good test. Can you put aside all mechanical shortcomings because you are so enamoured with the thematic implementation? If not, you are but casual enthusiast scum and probably sane
>>
>>93274347
I dont completely agree. I have the impression that this design appeals to dumb people’s idea of a ’smart person game’ - people who dont know alot about physics or science (or at least know a bit but hardly experts) but who like to FEEL smart. (I dont mean to call you dumb, sorry if that sounded rude)

I dont know many physics-savy people but I would guess they rather play games that are well designed/fun to play. Thats at least my impression from gaming with PhD students
>>
>>93274386
>I dont know many physics-savy people but I would guess they rather play games that are well designed/fun to play
Basically. I have a buddy with a Doctorate in physics who's now designing ballistic systems. His favorite games lately are Rainbow Six Siege and CoD MW.
>>
>>93274386
No offense taken. I might have worded that poorly. I didn't want to imply that you need to be smart to play the game; just that I think at least some background knowledge is almost necessary to like the game considering how all-in it is on theme.

Also agree that formal education or lack thereof is not an indicator of what people will like. Or if they are even capable of learning a game.
>>
File: pic2323566.jpg (231 KB, 1200x881)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
Welcome anons, federal agents, russian hookers and cole wehrle, for another episode of Slop or Not, the irregularly appearing block of text about first impressions of a game. Didn't have time to type up something on saturday so I hope I remember stuff right.

This time, we'll have a look at the kinda?-classic, the elusive Archipelago by Christophe Boelinger. What positively suprised me first was how the insert is actually fully used for a game to shorten setup, so everything should be remarkably quick. This feeling lasted approximately one minute until we realized how fiddly and tight everything sits in there and didn't use it anymore. It really is a remarkable game, I've played little that would really compare to it in its entirety. Theme is implemented very well and no matter if you are on the OH NO COLONIALISM AND OTHER -ISMS! or I don't give a fuck let me play the game side, I like how everything is depicted. Not apologetically, not revisionist, just exploiting natives and making money.
Lots of very intersting mechanics and dynamics; two markets, shared infrastructure, exploration, semi-coop aspects that are not shit (!), focus on negotiation and bribing, secret objectives and scoring etc. Once you got the hang of how it flows, it plays pretty smooth, we played the second medium length game in about 2,5 hours. Knowing what you actually want to *DO* in the game is harder, you only know your game-end and scoring condition which I think will lead to high variance in playtime. It's not immediately obvious what you want other than more money. So, even after 3 games it's hard to give even rudimentary impressions because different games flow so differently; I have no idea how aggressive you can be (stealing buildings/resources/card shenanigans) because we never saw the opportunity; giving up one of your precious actions to migrate when not really needed seemed to be a losing play at almost at all times, let alone just to fuck with your opponents.

cont.
>>
>>93274638
Archipelago is a fickle mistress; in some turns you get drowned in crisis (which led us to lose or first game VERY quickly), some turns are a breeze. But the real reason I am unsure about how I should judge the game, is because the rules are absolutely FUCKING retarded. Some core concepts that define the dynamics are vague and nebulous. Do workers have to leave and reenter a building to use it? Then the game suddenly is potentially very aggressive. Are export crisis truly just minor inconveniences that exist to drain the export market? Do boats have to be placed between two tiles or just when migrating? Which tile is that boat at, then? etc.
You might think, ah, the designer's a frog, it's probably just poorly translated rules. Then you check the gulag forum and see a lot of rules questions with >10 posts because everybody interprets what's written differently and some rules contradict another. There's FAQs and FAQs about FAQs, the designer himself giving explanations (which are vague themselves and often lead to different questions) and so on. Archipelago is definitely not unplayable because of that, but the very nature of the game would significantly change depending on which way you lay out the rules. It was the worst ruleset I've played since (2019) Dune, and that one only gets away with it because everything's so ridiculous it doesn't matter *that* much if emps can buy his teammate cards for free and what abilities karama can actually cockblock. Here, I am left pretty disappointed. The game clearly is a very interesting fusion of classic euro, negotiation game and 4x; it's fun and I would very much recommend it were it not for the rules. This might be less of a problem for you than me; we utterly despise unclear rulesets. What I would really get excited for is a revised edition that clears these pesky problems away. 85% of the game is excellent as is.
Slop verdict: definitely no slop, but a potentially great game I'll likely never play again.
>>
>>93274638
>>93274655
As a resident Archipelago shill, I can respect this opinion. The ruleboook has never really been an issue for me, but I certainly wouldn't claim it's well written either.
>>
>>93274687
I was hoping you'd respond. How did you handle buildings during the detachment phase? Keep workers occupying them on the building and use the passives, for ports/markets just put the coin on the port/market slot if you use them? We played that way and it seemed exceedingly unlikely someone would ever leave their building if not for a very unfortunate crisis, which also can easily be mitigated by keeping an exploration token in reserve.
Did you let your players do actions that don't require disks only as additional action or as a full action? Or only as additional action until you have no more disks at which point you can use them as full action?
These were the biggest points of confusion for us and there's no clear rule either way, but I'd be interested how the game plays if you interpret rules differently from how we did, it would open up other interesting avenues, like stalling the game to get more out of the markets or cheaper workers, aggressively invading other peoples islands and such.
>>
I asked for 6-player games recommendations not too long ago here and ultimately got Evolution: Climate. Played it with my group on Saturday and it was pretty fun. First 2-3 rounds were a bit slow and chaotic because I hadn't read the manual beforehand. By round 3, we pretty much had it down. What we noticed was that some of the cards could use more text. There's often enough space to add another sentence or so and that would help for some of the less intuitive cards. You can always look them up in the manual though; they're all described in more detail there. Still, even then, 1 or 2 remain a bit vague. The climate thing adds another layer that influences what traits you want for your species. And that's pretty much where the fun is, building your species and then having it eat others or being tanky/defensive enough so others can't eat you.

All in all, everyone liked it and we're definitely playing it again.
>>
File: 00.jpg (1.33 MB, 1617x840)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>93274731
>How did you handle buildings during the detachment phase? Keep workers occupying them on the building and use the passives, for ports/markets just put the coin on the port/market slot if you use them? We played that way and it seemed exceedingly unlikely someone would ever leave their building if not for a very unfortunate crisis, which also can easily be mitigated by keeping an exploration token in reserve.

When you use a buildings action (in the case of a market/port) you just put the coin on your respective slot on the action board and the worker becomes engaged (cannot move off the building or be used for other actions).

You are correct that it is unlikely for players to remove workers from the building tiles unless forced to do so, but remember there is a limit of 3 workers per tile and they count towards that limit. Exploration tokens are very useful for resolving crisis but as the game goes on (in a medium or long game anyway), you will usually reach a point where it is very hard to get more and, due to how resources are not usually equally distributed, some workers will not be stood up after a domestic crisis (because fuck you Brad I'm not paying 2 cows to stand up your workers for free). If you are unable to stand up the worker who was occupying the town/port, it's free game for anyone who can walk there.

>Did you let your players do actions that don't require disks only as additional action or as a full action? Or only as additional action until you have no more disks at which point you can use them as full action?
Since the rulebook says you can use one evolution card on each of your turns during the action phase, we have always played that they are in addition to placing an action disc. Once you are out of discs, you must pass.
>>
>>93274638
>Those meeples
Did Carcassonne just brand the future of game tokens on release?
>>
File: 01.jpg (1.33 MB, 1617x840)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>93274655
Also,
>Are export crisis truly just minor inconveniences that exist to drain the export market?

Yes, otherwise it would fill up quite fast in 4-5 player games. Also if players aren't careful with their resources it can cause endgame because the rebellion marker will move too high (one player might even want that outcome...).

>Do boats have to be placed between two tiles or just when migrating?

Only when migrating and even then they stay on one side, it's only to help people visualize when migrating. See pic.
>>
>>93265747
>When are thematic rules good, and when are they an annoyance? What thematic flair really stood out to you in a game?
Twilight Struggle, the DEFCON mechanic works great thematically but also drastically affects the game, to the point where you can use it to force a win.
>>
File: Sniper Elite.jpg (144 KB, 1024x683)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Is it really that good? A certain influencer keeps shilling it as the best hidden movement game in his collection
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (50 KB, 414x512)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Where did you meet your gaming group? How often do you play?
Or do you jump around different groups
>>
File: 1.jpg (171 KB, 964x1280)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
It's finally here, any guesses?
>>
>>93275246
University, 10 years ago. We still play together 2-3 times a week.
>>
File: 2.jpg (142 KB, 964x1280)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>93275274
Can't believe I actually got it below retail too
>>
File: 3.jpg (135 KB, 1280x964)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>93275278
Some people said it would never release, some said it would never be available retail, and now it is here
>>
>>93275281
is this even any good
>>
File: 4.jpg (191 KB, 1280x964)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>93275305
No
>>
>>93275281
It's only available because people paid the ransom those fucks at Mythic charged people. Also sucks to have backed any game after that one, doubt they'll ever be released.
>>
File: Betaald.jpg (40 KB, 2504x215)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>93275323
That's why I'm so amazed I got it, I never backed them, never paid the ransom, didn't buy it from them. I bought it from a small belgian crowdfinder site that organizes group buys and had like three spots left a month ago, way after all was said and done. I even posted the link in the previous thread for other interested anons, I'm 100% sure this is the lowest amount of money for the whole set you could spend. If you backed them you paid more because of the ransom, if you bought retail you paid more because of the prices, if you buy second hand you'lre getting raped. Currently riding an endorphine high
>>
>>93275345
>dropping $250 on a random group buy for a game that probably isn't even good
You're absolutely deranged
>>
>>93275449
The game itself is actually very good, it's been free to play on TTS for years now
>>
Any other good, simple but great board games like Azul for 2 players?
>>
>>93275309
please post the gridlock figurine, I want to see if the model is as retarded as the vidya one
>>
>>93275921
Blokus Duo, boop., Mandala, Great Plains, Jaipur, Botanik
>>
>>93275921
>>93276016
And how could I forget... Patchwork!
>>
File: Run zero.jpg (272 KB, 964x1280)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>>93275977
>Run: Zero
Kek
>>
>>93270493
Yeah, I just wanted to say that there's a difference between "I put up with these shit mechanics because I love space games" and "These shit mechanics are greater than the sum of their parts."
>>93270571
Every game out there can be reduced to a collection of mechanics. It's especially easy to make them sound boring if you mistakenly identify it as roll-and-move. And why the fuck is ship in quotation marks? Is there a superior game out there where you actually get to build a ship? Oh, right, Forbidden Desert. Touche, moron.
>>93274347
>game produces too much downtime
You can git gud. If you just don't like HF enough to put the time in, I respect that, but it's not a particular drawback of this game.
>>
>>93276049
Honestly, looks way better than the ingame model
Would throw trax stingers with
>>
>>93276030
>>93276016
thanks anon
>>
>>93273633
Scythe
Sagrada
Wizard
Hues and Cues
HEAT
>>
>>93275281
Congratz anon. I remember you being worried you wouldn't receive it. Glad it worked out for you.
>>
>>93273720
How's air land and sea and fallout?
>>
File: Fallout.jpg (107 KB, 1080x495)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>93276929
>Air, land and sea
At first I thought it was a boring poker style game to pass the time, but I found myself getting engaged with denying my opponent theaters to win no matter how many times I replay it. I never play it without the spies, lies and supplies expansion since it makes the whole game better. Plus the game is small enough to fit in a small box for you to take it everywhere you go and only takes 10 - 30 minutes of game time in average.

>Fallout
Funnily enough, we bought it together after the show series, and I've been having a blast so far. You go around playing scenarios from the videogame franchise stories in a co-op sense, or against a race between each other on getting the most agenda cards to win the game. Too bad last time I heard the New California expansion was out of print or you can only get it by three times the price if you are lucky to find it around the internet.
>>
>>93275087
It's not just those. The little ship meeples are the exact same ones used in Seafarers of Catan. And the wheat meeple in Agricola is the same as the wheat meeple in Concordia. Games definitely overlap suppliers for bits and meeples, some websites can even sell them to you directly.
>>
>>93275281
happy for you anon!
>>
>>93276319
>why the fuck is ship in quotation marks?
Not him but maybe he expected it to be Kerbal Space Program or Leaving Earth tier autism where you build the hull, the rocket is multi stage and loses solid mass as you jettison old engine casings, and all that jazz, and instead got a game where slapping a set of solar sails on a crew pod is enough to basically go anywhere the sun shines (even if it won't take you there fast). If I had those expectations I'd hate the game too.
>>
>>93277391
It's not like HF4A is less autismo friendly than Leaving Earth, it's just that LE focuses its autism on the aspect of running a space agency that I find more interesting.
>>
File: 1708790140142000.png (1003 KB, 794x615)
1003 KB
1003 KB PNG
Does Viticulture with Tuscany and Rhine Valley Visitors actually fix the game?
>>
>>93273633
Unfathomable - was pretty fun, only real gripe is that the board can get awfully cramped for as many card decks and minis you end up needing.
Scream - was pretty awful, but I could've anticipated that if I saw the Funko logo on the box. The game runs way too fast to be enjoyable, and that was with only four players. Hard mode is allegedly even faster, but there's no chance I even play again
>>
>>93273633
I only found the time to play Jaws of the Lion. My copy of Huang was postponed until tomorrow so I spent Sunday assembling Lego Rivendell with my wife.
>>
>>93277505
If you do not like the basegame, why do you think an expansion will fix it for you
>>
>>93277638
Who says I don't like it? I only think the base game is pretty much solved by spamming visitors but the system is very enjoyable. Now answer the question.
>>
I finally got around to playing Wyrmspan. Is Wingspan also this unpleasant or is this game uniquely terrible?
>no way to tell who is winning unless you card count every person at the table
>game is a complete crapshoot, "strategy" boils down to "play more dragons dipshit" with almost no way to influence the game's outcome
>zero player interaction
>turns take fucking forever, especially near the end where the game is already decided, so the last hour was just a masturbatory winner's lap while us three just waited around until the game ended
>oh, btw it takes 4 hours to play so you can't even sell it as "light dragon game with cute cards uwu"
I cannot imagine a crueler God than the one that allowed this shit to hit print. I'd rather play Monopoly.
>>
>>93277751
Wingspan is painfully mediocre but nowhere near as bad as you describe. They must have made the game worse.
>>
>>93277505
Viticulture Essential with Tuscany and Rhine Valley is pretty good. It still has a lot of luck of the draw, but I'd say it fixes whatever issue you're thinking of
>>
>>93277751
4 hours for Wyrmspan? jesus i'd hate to play with your group. took no more than 2 hours for my first 3p game. not saying it's a great game but it wasn't nearly this painful
>>
>>93277879
It was pitched as "Hey guys, I thought this looked cute and it only takes an hour and a half, so let's play this first" and then it dragged on (get it) until midnight.
Admittedly, I have always preferred wargames and trick taking games to eurogames, but I liked Splendor and (somewhat) liked Catan which I have been told are also Eurogames. Perhaps I am both bad and biased, but there's got to be a better game out there. The big win was
>one of the players really enjoyed the dragon art
>another player got to live out their fantasy of micromanaging triggers for 2 hours and didn't care that they lost
>another player got to win and so was happy regardless, especially because the last round was mostly them gaining coins and playing long after everyone else couldn't do anything
But I really hated it. I'd like to find a game that they would like better that I would be able to suffer through, any ideas?
>>
>>93277751
Wingspan is quicker to play but yes, this sounds like Wingspan.
>>
>>93278087
>Admittedly, I have always preferred wargames and trick taking games to eurogames, but I liked Splendor and (somewhat) liked Catan which I have been told are also Eurogames
My opinion on eurogames is go heavy or go home.
>>
>>93277505
Tuscany alone fixes the game.
>>
Have any of you guys gone to an online meetup to play boardgames? (such as through meetup.com and similar places)
Did you find a good group of people to play with? I'm itching to play more board games but my friends only meetup once every 2-3 weeks
>>
>>93278470
Yeah there's a group of boomers and xoomers who meet weekly near me through meetup.com. They're nice and they bring a variety of games.
>>
>>93278470
I've been to a bunch of meetup.com meetups. Met a lot of people, some really cool others complete retards. Just like any other social platform, it's a mixed bag. I also met my ex-flatmate there who was the biggest retard in and outside of boardgames I've ever encountered so my overall impression is negative.
>>
>>93278087
this general is a fan of games like El Grande and Hansa Teutonica if you're interested in OG Euros
any Splotter (maybe start with Bus?) is also hard to go wrong with
for something similar to Wyrmspan in your group's eyes maybe check out Everdell or Flamecraft - and try them yourself first to make sure you don't hate them equally
>>
File: 91MjYVqgiEL.jpg (800 KB, 2000x2000)
800 KB
800 KB JPG
Is Marvel Zobicide good? It's 50% off at LGS and I kinda want it for the models, but if the game is fun that'll convince me to buy it.
>>
>>93278087
honestly though if you're into Splendor and Catan maybe just look into Carcassonne, Renature, or Azul
something really normie proof
>>
>>93278087
>another player got to win and so was happy regardless, especially because the last round was mostly them gaining coins and playing long after everyone else couldn't do anything
So you're salty because you got outplayed?
>>
>>93278534
It's a run-of-the-mill dungeon crawler. Serviceable but not memorable. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of responses saying it's the worst game ever but it's nowhere near that. If you don't have any dungeon crawlers and you like the theme you might as well get it.
>>
>>93278597

Thanks, I've got Warhammer quest cursed city but that is 4 player only whereas this allows for 6 players, perfect for my friend group.
So I think I will pick it up.
>>
>>93278547
>Renature mentioned in the same breath as Carcassonne and Azul
My shilling is working :D
>>
>>93278659
How's it shilling if you're not getting paid?
>>
>>93278087
I'd go counter and say if your group needs to take 4 hours just to play wyrmspan, you shouldn't get any euros because they sound slow af and it's not going to get better if they're already having trouble with wyrmspan, get a light quick game or start harping on people to think on other players turns
>>
Cole Wehrle has claimed another victim
>>
>>93275309
jesus christ anon, did you spend $300+ on this?
>>
>>93278828
Oh god, who did he rape this time?
>>
File: bh.png (265 KB, 464x453)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
Hi fellers I just want to talk about board games and related topics
The other day I was looking to sleeve my copy of Bounty Hunters, and I read it takes Catan sleeves. So that's mini euro, right? Wrong! It led me through a rabbit hole and finding out english Catan has its own special sleeve size (I don't live in the US/UK), so now I have to order a few packs on Amazon, and my autism won't let me use the game without the sleeves :(
>>
>>93278534
Man most Zombicide/Marvel Zombies stuff is mega expensive here, I'd buy everything at 50% off
>>
>>93278659
true, I tried the game on Yucata because of you and I love it. especially at 3p
bought a copy and was surprised at how excellent the production is. easy recommend to almost anyone who can handle a competitive game with some meanness
>>
>>93278845
Nope, see >>93275345
>>
>>93278853
Aggressively unfunny.
>>
>>93278913
It's a fairly common sleeve size though.
Ex libris and canopy also use it
>>
>>93266163
Zoo vadis.
>>
>>93279045
I agree, getting raped is no joke
>>
>>93278913
Fuck proprietary card sizes, yes Catan is its own size (other games use it, but it's by far the most common) I must have bought 600 or so sleeves between Base, Cities and Knight, Traders and Barbarians, and the corresponding 5-6 player extensions.
>>93277573
Building a 4,000+ piece Lego set with someone you love sounds magical. Play War of the Ring yet?
>>
File: file.png (584 KB, 634x426)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
I think this game is a lot of fun.
>>
>>93279045
I guess that answers the question.
>>
>>93279225
Yeah, Star Trek Catan is a banger
>>
>>93279214
>Play War of the Ring yet?
Been playing it since it came out. I got the first edition with the Battles expansion and second edition upgrade with all expansions, as well as the Anniversary Edition oversized map. It's always going to be in my collection.
>>
File: 1701788267744642.png (324 KB, 462x586)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
>>93279324
I'll take mosquitos over black flies any day.
Nothing quite like swarms of black flies getting into your hair and shirt.
>>
Any good games in which you are running a company?
>>
>>93279384
18xx stuff, food chain magnate
>>
File: 245556634.jpg (126 KB, 1600x662)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>93279341
Hell yeah. Shadow or Free people preference? I haven't won as the free people but I've stuck with them, even if a bit romanticized I like how the game is stacked against you, and so it really does feel like a "moral" victory when you do get good plays in
>>
>>93279384
John Company
>>
>>93279415
Free Peoples vanilla, Shadow when playing with expansions. The expansions (especially Battles and Lords) make playing Shadow much more interesting.
>>
I have the possibility to buy OGRE Designer Edition for a lowish price.
I've never played OGRE, I have no idea what the box really holds, but I do know it is huge.

I don't know if I could ever reliably get anyone to play it with me much. Talk reason to me.
>>
>>93279045
I'm sorry this happened to you anon.
>>
>>93279495
It has a short playtime and low complexity for it's genre. You're realistically not going to use all the crap in the box but it has some value as a conversation piece.
>>
>>93279045
Hang in there big guy
>>
>>93279495
It's a great game to enjoy with some buddies after sauna
>>
>>93277751
I mean, it's Wingspan with dragons, and Wingspan is babbys first engine building game so you get points for building an engine. What did you expect? Something good like Power Grid but with dragons?
>>
>>93279285
>Star Trek Catan
that'd be Ascendacy though
TI4 is Clash of Cultures: star wars edition.
>>
>>93279384
18XX series put a lot of emphasis on you buying, investing into, and managing companies.
As the other anon said, Splotter games like FCM, Indonesia, Horseless Carriage, put you at the helm of your own company and you do sabotage to others. If african temple chains count as a company, The Great Zimbabwe really is great.
And also this >>93279439 but only if 'running the company' also includes running it into the ground.
>>
>>93267967
Based. Shout out to all Israelis, Finns, (not the swiss) and South Koreans whose countries have mandatory military training. Gotta be one of my favourite policies.
>>
>>93280197
>TI4 is Clash of Cultures: star wars edition.
Hell no, Clash of Cultures has actual combat. TI4 is Chinatown: Last Starfighter edition.
>>
>>93275921
Imperial Struggle. It’s literally just Azul with extra steps.
>>
>>93280312
nice meme
>>
>>93280312
Deepthroat a shotgun a tripcunt cocksucker.
>>
>>93280312
GIPFag it's been a couple of years since you posted and I've got to say, you were completely right about everything. Pax games are facile crap touted by self-important bitches. Abstracts are true boardgaming.
>>
>>93280292
>Clash of Cultures has actual combat
both games combat is have more units, roll good on the dice, and whoever is best in both wins.
>>
File: versus.jpg (479 KB, 2500x1248)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>93280398
>Pax games are facile crap touted by self-important bitches.
Only if you want to be.
#not_all_Phil-istines
>>
>>93280398
Thank you, it is greatly relieving to know I am not the sole bearer of the truth.
>>
File: 88888.jpg (270 KB, 1052x679)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>hmmmm today I'll gid gud at Dvonn (cluesless)
>download the AI bot (Holtz)
>keep getting dabbed on, shitty program lags and doesnt have replay function
>internet has zero strategy guides except retarded obvious advice found on gulag
>there are no good players on BGA (yet) proven by the fact that I wasted several high ranked people just by moving pieces thoughtlessly
I wish this game had at least Hive level of community support
>>
>>93280537
I quite enjoy the fact that, as far as I’m aware, these games have no described strategies whatsoever, aside from some vague general axioms. They are pure in every sense.
>>
>>93279225
It sure is, but that map is too big for 4 players.
>>
>>93278705
The same way janny "works" for free ;)
>>
File: IMG_5743.jpg (92 KB, 800x800)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Is your body ready?
>>
>>93280589
It's just a random pic from google
>>
>>93280576
The opening strategy, the way I see it, should involve creating as much freedom of movement for your pieces, ideally while limiting the freedoms of your opponent. For example, in the pic above blacks should focus on opening the 5 pieces sandwiched on row 3, for example f2-g2 (also this program always generates shit boards, nobody would want to make huge useless clumps like this but I decided to play with premade setups for now). Stacking high early is usually suicidal, it limits your movement and stacks that get stuck early are easy targets to snipe or kill by hijacking the dvonn pieces.
>>
File: 1705903000630674.png (949 KB, 919x713)
949 KB
949 KB PNG
>>
>>93280658
>>
>>93280312
>>93280462
>>93280576
>>93280605
Fuck off tripcunt.
>>
>>93280658
Rude.
>>
File: cole wehrle.jpg (206 KB, 496x502)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>93279045
>>
File: 1666309903824713.jpg (65 KB, 1265x444)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>93280605
Why haven't you killed yourself already? Nobody wants you here.
>>
>>93280768
I don’t think me being wanted or not was ever a factor in my presence here.
>>
The purpose of a system is what it does, and what it does is host my tripcode posts packed with unprecedented insight you can’t get anywhere else.
>>
>>93280768
Is this actually the gifpfag, I've actually pilled myself on doing chess puzzles, the og abstract game, ever since I tried out Dvonn thanks to his shilling I think, did i get baited
>>
>>93280844
OK so you are a masochist.
>>
>>93280998
The term is "attention whore." Negative attention is as good as positive attention.
>>
>>93281009
you ok bro? or are you actually trying to spread the good word
>>
>>93281079
>meant for gipfag not you i forgot hes a tripfag
>>
>>93280844
It should be because you are definitely not wanted here and by here I mean on this planet.
>>
File: IMG_5744.jpg (156 KB, 447x447)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>93281094
>>
>>93275088
>>93275081
Thanks anon. It really is quite weird. I feel like the game is so close to being great amd these minor misgiving I have make me lower on it than it deserves. Yet we all had a similar reaction; not knowing if we should really explore this further with the limited game time available. Man I wish I was still in my 20s and could just play it 5 times in two days. Am I correct in assuming that there also is a certain variance in how good the game...works? As in: some games will just be a bit of a shitshow. Like our first game in which we got like 40 unhappiness in one phase when a stone crisis came up three times in a row.

Damnit now I want to play it again. That always bodes well for a game.
>>
>/bgg/ is arguing about trips and abstracts and Cole
>/bwg/ is having discussions on the development of NATO battle doctrine in the 80s
Guys I think the split was a bad idea I want those autists back
>>
>>93281176
Go join them if you miss them. Nobody's forcing you to stay.
>>
File: 1705888309895869.png (278 KB, 584x501)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>
>>93281176
I do agree but /bgg/ is fine when we are on topic
Also
>There are people in [current year] that do not filter trips
>>
>>93281176
>/bgg/ is arguing about trips and abstracts and Cole
Two of those three things are acceptable here.
>>
>>93281194
i don't understand
wouldn't pan win and you lose?
>>
>>93281161
Much like Dune, it is a game that only really shines with the right kind of players who have played it enough times to understand how everything works and interconnects.

And, occasionally, it does just fall flat. I remember a game much like what you described where the players collectively just didn't have enough resources to solve all the crisis's that came up and we all lost. We're a lot more careful about spending exploration tokens now, but I can definitely see that sort of random bad luck tanking games once in a blue moon (although anyone playing the separatist would probably enjoy the free win).

I really like the game but I'm the first to admit it's not for everyone. If you find other people willing to play again I'd say go for it, but if not then just play whatever your group enjoys.
>>
Any advice for handling pedantic players?
How much do you guys glaze over minor rules errors on coop games?

We're doing coop games since they're chill. Pedantic is good and very competitive at any other kind of game, but can be a sore loser, so coop or light and goofy games it is. We're trying to play campaign stuff, Gloomhaven, Bardsung, etc and occasionally somebody messes up the rules a bit. A unit moved a square too short, damage should have been a point higher or lower, or some edge case rules were executed slightly out of order. She can't let it go, it has to be addressed when she notices it, including rolling back entire turns.

One of our players called it quits because it wasn't fun, they're trying to play on a few beers on their night off, and we meet infrequently, so they're usually a step behind on the rules details anyway. Pedantic has been quarterbacking them the entire campaign, on top of the rest of things. I'm indifferent since I'm just used to it.

Is this a choice of game issue, a player issue, or a hosting issue? I've been enjoying game night up until someone else wasn't.
>>
>>93281669
Quit fucking up in games. Learn the rules and apply them.
>>
>>93281669
players should make every effort to get the rules right, but in a co-op game, i don't sweat honest mistakes. especially something like gloomhaven's enemy movement system, which is whack. i took that online test once and got so many questions wrong.

but it sounds like pedantic may need a deep dicking
>>
File: 1713329191420712.gif (2.06 MB, 150x173)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB GIF
>mfw the group collectively surges the Climate to scorching, triggering the Meteorite event card.
I loves these madlads and lady.
>>
>>
File: Windows XP.jpg (668 KB, 3840x2160)
668 KB
668 KB JPG
>>93281176
Well, just finished my first multiplayer game of Agricola (played at 2)
Bastard brother kept taking all of the cows, but his greed for Bovine acquisition cost him dearly as he ended with no sheep or boar. It was a lot of fun. Is there an overview of what every deck is generally like? I've only played with the A deck so far, my copy also comes with the B deck
>>
>>93282186
what's the best deck? i have A/B/E
>>
>>93281669
Wait I didn't know people didn't like Pedantic, I do this all the time when I play in coop modes. It's a coop game, it's in my best interest to backseat the other people if it means it wins the round/game. Smaller mistakes that don't set us back are fine, but they can add up and cost the game you could have won.
I also piggy back to save time too, I was forced into a 6 hour eldritch horror game once and I never want to relive that again.
>>
>>93281669
It never ceases to amaze me, the sheer fucking number of adults apparently incapable of talking to someone when they have a disagreement or problem with something they are doing. Tell your group to grow the fuck up and talk it out. Or grow a spine and talk to them yourself.
>>
File: marvel fuck younited.png (1.38 MB, 763x655)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>make a decent game
>gatekeep 80% of your content behind Kickstarters
>insist on pushing the 20% remaining content so much it ends up flooding stores
I hate CMON so much. I love Marvel United but most of their stuff is locked away on the Kickstarter and I can't afford $500+shipping to Shitholeistan+game being in a language my friends can't read because they're monkeys
The guys that make Nemesis are slightly guilty of this too but at least they've sold the extras separately before, as expensive as it is
Pic related, look at this shit. Two boxes in the picture will make it to retail, the rest will be stuck in some faggot reseller's ebay page
>>
File: 1667603796230572.gif (415 KB, 488x519)
415 KB
415 KB GIF
>>93282471
>pay money for a thing that not only will you have any way of knowing is good, but is also subject to physical scarcity so if you couldn't get it you're just out of luck
This is driving me up the wall. I want to check out Kemet but the new edition has basically every expansion crowdfunding exclusive, and for some reason the new stuff is INCREDIBLY expensive, as in "I could buy a video game console for the cost of this pile of paper, cardboard, and plastic" expensive
>>
>>93282520
The whales buying all of this Kickstarter shit and ruining it for everyone else need to get their balls caved in
>>
>>93282601
I wish everybody just did it like Leder which is "We're gonna make it cheaper because you'll be buying early and directly from us". Or something like Ra/Castles of Burgundy which is "Here's a super-deluxe premium option for enthusiasts, this would be highly impractical to sell retail so we're just making it to-order"
>>
>>93282471
Consider not being so poor
>>
>>93282471
Nobody cares how poor you are.
>>
>>93282682
Shut the fuck up tripcunt
>>
File: equine.png (1.4 MB, 1012x1279)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
Tried Equinox with the gf. I thought it would not work well at 2, but she had a blast. She was upset at how simple it was, though. Said she expected a bit more from the art and the theme.
As a thank you to the guy that tricked me into buying it, enjoy some OC
>>
>>93282471
Maybe… don’t support shitty businesses and their shitty business practices? It’s not like superheroes are a niche genre for games, there’s plenty more out there for you to buy.
>>
>>93265747
I always preferred the Hobbit to LOTR because I read it as a kid of about 10 and then we did it again in the first year of High School. By the time the first movie came out I read LOTR and loved it but lost my place with the later films.

To this end would I prefer the Battle of the Five Armies game over War of the Ring?
>>
ITT: favourite Zombie game? I know the genre was played out years ago but I can't help it, they're good fun. Minis a plus
>>
>>93282471
How much of that stuff do you need to play a good game though? Usually if there is a good first expansion I will think anout it, more so if it has nice miniatures or adds a lot. But multiple multiple boxes...I barely do this now. I LIKE SMALL GAMES :) the boxes don't take over
>>
>>93283278
I don't think there's a person alive that prefer the Battle of Five armies game to War of The Ring
>>
>>93283278
I would say no. Despite your source material preferences, because WotR simply is a much, much better game.
>>
File: tuscany.jpg (978 KB, 3372x1788)
978 KB
978 KB JPG
>>93277505
I just played the thing with 5p using all the stuff in Tuscany but no Rhine Valley cards, I think it's an enjoyable game but still felt the visitor cards were the main strategy for some, also the start of the game is REALLY slow as you start building your engine, to a point where nobody had made any wine in like 4 rounds of the game.
RNG was also very crucial like that other anon said, I kept drawing big sparkling and white wine orders while I only had one shitty field with only 1 red while everything was white, thankfully I got saved by some structures and visitors that let met make cheaper sparkling wine to eventually do burst scores of 7 points every 2 years, also kept a visitor that gave 5 points out of nowhere to seal the deal before any other player could catch up.

The overall mechanics are fun, blocking people creates some nice opportunities to pivot, and Tuscany gives you more options when you are really cucked out of a crucial action, but nowadays there are so many other games that do the same but with an overall more exciting and interesting package, this one is very basic and the component quality is very nice, but I find it unremarkable and a bit slow to start getting into the fun part of the game. I wonder how impactful the Rhine Valley visitors would be actually, and I wonder if maybe starting with more workers than just 3 could speed the game up from its bland start.
>>
File: lotr_confrontation.jpg (145 KB, 996x1000)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
My parents are moving, so we found pic related in the old stuff. Apparently, we didn't even played once at the time, but it's not bad
>>
Not sure why this thread never talks about No Pun Included, but I think he's witty, articulate and has pretty good taste.

Easily one of the best boardgame youtubers
>>
6:Siege Anon here...I am scared of opening the box. Any anons here with super rare games that you know you won't be able to get again if anything breaks? Do you just play them anyway? I hate myself for thinking this, but I was also considering keeping them shrink wrapped to keep it's value up, I'm seeing the pack sold for 700 Euros now...
>>
>>93284160
> buy a game
> dont play it

This hobby has turned into such cancer.
>>
File: 1699975483227508.png (357 KB, 765x450)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
>>93284160
>Do you just play the game you bought?
yes
>>
>>93284160
Things are made to be used, and what's the point of a game if it's never played? If you really were worried about money and value, you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place (it's on tabletop simulator), so now that its in front of you, might as well get your money's worth and play it
>>
>>93284280
>>93284276
>>93284177
Thanks for the reality check, I'll unbox it later and play a round
>>
>>93284160
Figure out what you want. Do you want to play the game or sell it at a profit. I find the latter utter faggotry, but you do you. Worst is sitting on it, being tempted by it and not knowing what you should do, unable to decide. Now, I will always argue that no game costing +200 euros can possibly be worth it when you can get like 4-5 knizia classics for that money, but that's neither here nor there.

Also just because someone put it online for 700 euros doesn't mean anyone will buy it at that price.
>>
>>93284160
You were never going to play it anyway. If you’re all about the money sell it today. Cult of the new boardgame collectors can choke on it. It’ll be worthless within the decade wether you play it or not.

When Hasbro chopped the legs off the Heroquest resellers was the best thing to happen to the hobby this decade.
>>
>>93284160
Who the fuck is paying 700 dollars to play any board game?

That is insane to me
>>
Dear fa/tg/uys, I'm just here to let you know I went to the Ion games office and got a copy of Bios:Genesis and got it signed by Chad Eklund himself.
Life is pretty good right now.
>>
Is micro macro good or it just activates the where's waldo nostalgia neurons?
>>
>>93282864
nice
>>
>>93284134
this is the board games thread, not an eceleb thread
>>
>>93285532
>I went to the Ion games office
Why?
>>
>>93286036
To ask phil if you can move Bishops between Vassals, Suzerains, and Queens and if they are allowed to share spaces on a royal pair.

He did not answer.
>>
I'll make the next thread, give me a minute
>>
File: 1696047640964687.jpg (152 KB, 750x750)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>93286195
Ignore the other guy's thread, it's the anti-War game schizo again
>>93286234
>>
>>93286111
Absolut kek
>>
File: 1661560990559926.jpg (21 KB, 417x416)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
The ACTUAL /bgg/ thread was deleted while the fucking troll thread is staying up? Absolute lunacy
>>
>>93286464
We've entered a dark age for the general.
>>
File: 1671778684599414.png (689 KB, 717x834)
689 KB
689 KB PNG
>>93286504
>meme anon left
>Black exile anon left
>thread-splitting an already comparatively slow general
>the thread splitter is getting favorable treatment
>>
Someone else want to try making a new thread? I did my part, if I do it again I'll probably just get in trouble
>>
>>93286602
I did it last week and got a warning, we'll need a third anon to step up
>>
>>93286645
Damn
>>
File: question.png (91 KB, 335x1029)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>93286111
Wish me luck.

I was struck by a bout of poor proofreading ;_;
• Tableau cards adjacent to her husband's Suzerain
and
• tableau cards that are not in her husband's Empire (including other Queens in her Suzerainty or in adjacent Suzerainties)
should be together as
• tableau cards that are not in her husband's Empire (including other Queens in her Suzerainty, Queens in adjacent Suzerainties, and tableau cards adjacent to her husband's Suzerain)
since bishops can move between the Queen and tableau cards adjacent to her husband's Suzerain that are in her husband's Empire.
>>
>>93285532
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>93284160
the price will plummet when it's all but forgotten in a year
>>
>>93287659
I'm a H&C person, who wants to say I think this is bullshit and I feel for you guys.

Are jannies retarded or what?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.