[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: giphy-2814671563.gif (2.37 MB, 480x360)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB GIF
Old thread here: >>93265747

For wargame discussion, go to the general: >>>/tg/bwg/

Thread question: what games do you think everyone else is wrong about.
>>
>>93285879
>For wargame discussion, go to the general: >>>/tg/bwg/
kys yourself
>>
>>93285920
This thread is for discussing Cole Wehrle and YouTubers only, mind you.
>>
>>93285333
Are they in stockholm? Might pay them a visit too
>>
>>93285920
Not OP, I think hex and chit guys had a few successful hex-n-chit generals and tried to get it rollong more long term. If so, that's fine by me.
>>
You cunt, I was going to make an actual thread. Fuck off
>>
File: Crow says.jpg (87 KB, 480x336)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>93286234
Actual board game discussion thread, OP is a fag and a schizo assblasted by wargames
>>
File: cole wehrle.jpg (206 KB, 496x502)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>93286012
>>
Nu-OP can choke on a cock, if I want to check out historically based war games what's a good place to get started?
>>
>>93286220
No, OP is that guy that kept sperging out about "GMTrannies" and used the new thread as ammunition to try and thread split.
>>
>>93285879
TQ: Zombicide, apart from the very first one, is a good game. After they removed the rule that you automatically hit players first when firing into a square with both players and zombies, the system shines at the fast paced zombie killing map exploration. There's also so many scenarios for each game there's always something new to try.
>>
File: (You) get pointed at.jpg (36 KB, 474x474)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>93286562
>Don't even mention a publisher or subgenre
>immediate sperging about le GMT boogeyman
>>
>>93285879
>forgot the pastebin
>anti wargame autism
May your entire bloodline be cursed to only play Munchkin
>>
>>93286603
OP's father was raped in the GMT offices, prease undastando
>>
Whats wargames do you anons play?
>>
>>93286668
Memoir 44 is always a classic, just wish it wasn't a bitch to setup on TTS or didnt need premium for the BGA scenarios
>>
I, for one, am I happy we have wargamers in the thread so that we don't miss out on all this "quality" discussion. Imagine if we had to just talk about board games instead.
>>93286012
>>93286523
>>93286562
>>93286634
>>
I WILL discuss Euros, Ameritrash, Wargames and all boardgames there are in /bgg/ and you cannot stop me.

I'll soon get HIS delivered. Any measures I should take to get our first game in as smooth as possible? Aside from giving Habsburg to the player most familiar with the rules. Which will be me. Which is also subpar because I'll also be the one spending most mental resources on making sure we break the flow by reading the rulebook as rarely as possible. Kinda excited for it, haven't felt like that in a long time
>>
>>93286668
I've had fun with War for Arrakis and War of the Ring. Actually, I'm supposed to give a friend of mine a copy of War of the Ring and some extra dice as a gift this Saturday. I can't wait to see his reaction to it.
>>
>>93286741
HIS? What game is that?
>>
>>93286666
More like no fun included
>>
>>93286741
Based omnivores anon.
Take a weekend and do a dry run playing all the roles. Get a feel for rules Q that will pop up in those initial turns.
>>
>>93286754
Here I stand
>>
>>93286742
When you say extra dice do you mean specifically for WotR? Because the one thing that sucks about the second edition is the dice.
>>
>>93286772
Yeah that's what I do most of the time anyway. Though in this case I think I lack the time to go for +3h multihanded runs. But we'll see
>>
Any good wargames that play with more than two? I didn't particularly like the COIN system so is there anything else I should try?
>>
File: ttr.jpg (148 KB, 1516x1600)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
Someone please PLEASE tell me what the appeal of Ticket to Ride is. I have never played a board game that almost has me falling asleep out of boredom.
>>
>>93286925
Ticket to Ride, no appeal, it's awful. The tighter versions like Nordic or Maerklin, the fun is in blocking your opponents then watching them squirm as you take all the points they wanted, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women.
>>
>>93286703
I don't really get why but this thread has gone massively downhill over the past few months. People just seem to force shitty memes constantly and there's some low effort nigger constantly bumping the thread with them. My guess is probably it's just hit a critical mass where the people actually playing games is too much lower than the shitposters posting about games, so you get threads dominated by politics or bickering over youtubers from "hobbyists" who are not actually in the hobby.
>>
>>93286925
It's simple enough to not make a normal person go glassy-eyed from the rules explanation, plus fancy color matching yay
>>
>>93286925
It's comfy. If you just want to pick up cards, put down little plastic trains and turn off your brain to sit down and chat then it does that very well. I've played the USA map about 40 times, it's alright but I would say outright unplayable without the 1910 expansion. I've familiar enough with it that I've cycled through the ticket deck in just a two-player game using only the base game cards.
Personally, I like Africa more than base because that map is MUCH harsher. Taking tickets has a serious risk to it in that game. Not only that, thanks to the Terrain cards merely claiming routes without getting tickets is actually viable. Rails and Sails is playable but a slight downgrade from US+1910

>>93287090
That too, people underestimate how successful a 4 page rulebook with no uncertain rules can be. I still have no have clue what the flavor text on the back of the box and in the manual about a "Race in 70 days" is about, thematically and mechanically that's not part of the game at all
>>
>TQ: Scythe gets shat on like it causes cancer
for not being a "true 4X" when it's an absolutely well made worker placement/resource management game
>>
File: pic7204574.jpg (88 KB, 900x600)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Have any anons played ROVE: Results-Oriented Versatile Explorer?
I love Button Shy's -opolis series, but stayed away from all their other solo offers.
>>
>>93287300
Bruh, don't workers in Scythe just go to your own personal tableau? The core of worker placement is using your workers to not only get actions, but to deny those actions to others. If action discs stick to your own player board you aren't denying anything.
>>
File: ballin.png (704 KB, 800x600)
704 KB
704 KB PNG
The Yellow Exile visits random wargames that he wants to see discussed just to spite the retarded OP: Chapter 1

I've never played a wargame. Is this a good starting point?
>>
>>93285879
TQ: Root and Oath are astonishingly poor designs made popular by theme and artwork.
>>
>>93287606
Are you the black exile poster? Or just inspired by him?
>>
>>93287624
I've never heard this hot take before in all my time here.
Never! It's honestly refreshing.
Keep it real, anon.
>>
>>93287624
Add Arcs to that pile. Also that's not a question
>>
>>93287476
No, they go on the map shared by everyone. It is absolutely 100% not a worker placement game though, I can see why people get confused since you place a lot of workers.
>>
>>93287300
Scythe is perfectly fine as long as no one in your group looks up the statistically most efficient way to win for any given faction/political stance.
>>
>>93287349
No, I've likewise avoided their solo stuff. It seemed like one of the more popular games at their stall at UKGE though.
>>
>>93287606
The problem is this thread had proportionately few wargamers so you ARE going to be better asking the other thread.
>>
>>93287606
Every game that uses the C&C system is very approachable, Ancients is great if you want something with a Roman theme but you can just as easily learn any other game in the series.
>>
>>93287664
Haven't played or checked it out in detail, so I'll refrain from judging.
I also think ferrins style somehow is much less charming in space. Might be the darker space colour palette? I think his art works best in a world of eternal autumn
>>
File: Root 27.jpg (648 KB, 1488x2079)
648 KB
648 KB JPG
>>93287724
>I think his art works best in a world of eternal autumn.
This. Cozy, and his foliage echos bill watersons watercolors.
>>
>>93287606
ya, very easy to learn and teach. Don't expect it to be a simulation though.
>>
>>93287738
Talk about board games you demented freak.
>>
>>93287776
You're worse than gipf
>>
We really need an e-celeb board to get rid of this shit. Whining about youtubers you don't like is the worst thing you could possibly post.
>>
>>93286567
That's pretty wild because I can think of no game more indicative of the plastic pushing trend. I immediately ruled out ever playing Zombicide when I saw the what seemed like dozens of possible expansions and extra things to buy. It's also co-op, and any co-op game where you are expected to win is a huge black mark for me. How could it actually be good?
>>
>>93287678
So it's biggest criticism is that it's not perfectly balanced?
>>
>>93288036
More that it's an extremely deterministic game played perfectly. Some people may even like that.
>>
What are some good games for 3 players, that can also accommodate 4 or more?
My friend group can consistently get 3 people to show up (myself included), so looking for games that are perfect for a 3 player count. If it can add on extra players that would also be great.
>>
>>93288072
I've played 2, 3, and 4 player games of Ra multiple times and so far 3 is my favorite count, but the others are also really good. Haven't played with 5, want to just haven't had the chance.
Carcassonne is great at any player count, although you will want expansions with more people because tiles will run out much faster.
Hansa Teutonica I've played at 3, 4, and 5. 3 and 5 are the best, 4 is okay but the maps are tighter on the other counts.
>>
>>93288072
How heavy are the games you usually play? And how interactive? 3 is an awkward player count, as someone else who usually plays at that. Games are more commonly made for 2 or for 4, and 3 player highly interactive games tend to end up being between 2 players with the 3rd inevitably acting as a spoiler.
>>
File: JE1st.jpg (721 KB, 2221x1510)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
>>93288067
It shouldn't be, I think people don't leverage the combat enough.
>>
>>93288123
I think 3 works great in Dune Imperium, but that game has very limited player scaling. 4 plays a lot differently with much less space but less points needed, 2 is a total meme and should never be used.
>>
>>93287724
he did go for a grittier look for Arcs, since there's less cooperation and more insane man who chugs down petrol through a gas mask hose
>>
File: 1689788193717295.jpg (1.7 MB, 2240x2240)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>93288136
I like this Pic. This is a nice Pic.
I don't think you can ever top your initial masterpiece, but I'm delighted to see you try.
>>
>>93288146
I play D:I a lot 3 player and I think it's a fine game at that count, but it's also just unquestionably better with 4 IMO.
>>
>>93288160
I've gotta make some of these myself, it looks fun
>>
>>93288160
Churchill controls the diplomatic tritons, even Wounded Waters Bleeding isn't going to save us here.
>>
File: 20230722_095516.jpg (2.78 MB, 3024x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>93288178
Having tried, it's harder than it looks!
That anons got a skill for it, I tell you what.
>>
what did he mean by this
>>
>>93287624
I disagree. they're solid designs that got extremely overhyped because of theme and artwork, and now there is backlash against that overhype, and eventually things will settle and we'll consider them 6 or 7 out of 10.
just another symptom of everybody these days needing an extreme opinion for the (yous). nothing can ever be "fine".
>>
File: IMG_20230918_213039.jpg (1.43 MB, 2240x2240)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>93288160
Take off the nostalgia goggles, this here is my crown jewel, my manga orifice.
>>93288309
Slide the Ticket to Ride board under that shit and you're set
>>93288324
It's complicated
>>
File: 1716837721836979.jpg (61 KB, 640x633)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>93288381
>just another symptom of everybody these days needing an extreme opinion for the (yous). nothing can ever be "fine".
It's a damn shame. Seeing post after post try to rile up one group or another, sow division and foster a sense of irreconcilable differences. The incessant negativity and aggression undermines a pleasant community of like minded anons.
>>
File: 1707445826138094.jpg (247 KB, 615x794)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>93288499
>the 18xx hexes perfectly placed on the NH! board.
I kneel.
>>
>>93286799
I don’t want to sound like the shitposter, but wargame discussion here outside of War of the Ring and the most popular GMT stuff is *extremely* limited.
You’d genuinely have a better shot over at /bwg/
>>
>>93286799
Look into Maria or Friedrich.
>>
>>93288072
Controversial opinion incoming: Between Two Cities is best at 3 (but still good with more).
>>
This weekend I learned that if you are going to teach Equinox:
>don't do it at 5 players
>coax and cajole them to make their secret bid on their 1st turn, even if they are flying blind
>the 8 card hand is misleading, a strong hand probably won't see half those cards played
>as such, every play should make the biggest impact at protecting your investment/harming the other best investments
>if you think you can stall and have time, you don't.
They still had fun, but that was a train wreck. two guys didn't even make secret bid or first round bid, game ended by deck exhaustion rather than usual final contest.
>>
>>93288381
For what it's worth, I think you are generally right. I am usually very moderate in my takes. Even if I don't like the game I think I can (mostly) differentiate between bad design and not to my taste. Now, wehrle stuff is always divisive because it's so unique, but I sincerely think root and oath aren't good designs. It's not a wehrle thing, I like pax pamir and very much respect JC but it's not a game for my group.
>>93288501
In this specific case, it was the OP question. I also think some banter and gatekeeping are good things. I mean, we all share this very specific niche hobby where 99% of our interest aligns yet we fight over largely irrelevant details such as sleeving vs not. That's a side effect of passion (and autism) and we got both in spades here. Pretty neat.
>>
>>93288072
I would say that most of the mid-heavy 4p euros play best with 3. GWT, AffO, Argent, le havre etc.
Also like some other anon said, ra is always great.
>>
>>93288898
It's just one anon shitposter who constantly talks about youtubers recently.
>>
>>93288898
Ya, I got no quarrel with banter or substantive arguments.
It's the deluge of
>your game sucks
>these gamers suck
>unhinged vitriol
With no purpose other than kicking a hornets nest that's got me bummed.
>>
>>93288898
if you're reasonable-posting - what do you think are the flaws with Oath's design?
>>
>>93288979
Agreed. I still think it's fun as a passive observer, albeit in small doses. If the whole thread gets drowned in shitposts, that's obviously bad.
>>
>>93288017
Here's the thing. Zombicide as a series is as cancer as cancer gets. FOMO-based, plastic driven, tons of expansions, a new Kickstarter every year that doesn't change anything except the slapped on theme. Zombicide as a game is quite good, easy to explain and setup, lots of variability and fast moving missions that leave you satisfied. The expansions are not necessary but can add interesting new challenges or cool characters to play with. If you have a single Zombicide game on your shelf, I won't judge you. It has its place.
Now, if you have more than one Zombicide game on your shelf, you're the worst thing that has ever happened to this hobby and you should never, ever talk to me or patronize the same continent that I live on. I'd feel dirty if I supported Zombicide as a series.
>>
>>93289070
I thought the rules were relatively easy but way harder to internalize than I'm used to because wehrle likes to do things differently. Contrary to popular opinion, I thought the rulebook was fine. I still don't even want to imagine teaching it to a more casual crowd that is drawn by the artwork. Gameplaywise... First off, I hate how (like in root) the game really wants you to negotiate but does not give you any (root) or barely any (oath) tools for this, forcing it into the meta level entirely. This is especially baffling in oath where citizenship and a precious few cards are the only moments you can actually exchange something. Then there's the turn structure. I find it almost archaic to do your whole rounds worth of actions in one go, then watch the other players. I've also found this stifles game flow, another players turn can and will shake up the situation drastically, so saving time by planning ahead isn't easily archieved. I didn't like how the win conditions very quickly lead to what I call winner-hot-potato; two or more players are about to win, and now the game devolves into who can prevent this whilst still getting ahead. Half of Oath felt like the final round of Ti4, and this is probably the core of misgivings; it is something I often do not enjoy. The end of the game by d6 is extremely unstatisfying but probably a necessity. To end on a positive note, I really liked how the legacy aspect was done a

Sorry I gotta post this unfinished. I've fallen asleep like 3 times whilst typing this. Hope it's coherent enough
>>
>>93289262
>>93286567
The first zombicide was so shit when it came out, my friends and I tried to like it but it just sucked.
>>
>>93289736
Yeah, I mentioned that here: >>93286567. It got better and Black Plague onwards plays much, much better.
>>
>>93289755
Only one I own is Black Plague, I don't table it enough to want anymore past that
>>
>>93285879
Faggot OP, if card games get a pass for this thread then war games do too.
>>
>>93289770
You don't need any more, they're all pretty much the same.
>>
>>93288381
I think people can get tired of overhype and just be so pissed they want to hate something. Basically anything that isn't super amazing can cause you to grow to hate it.
>>
File: maskmen.jpg (497 KB, 1024x684)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
Just ordered my first Oink Game, Maskmen. I would've gotten Startups but it's between print runs.
What are your favorite Oink games?
>>
File: kariba.jpg (85 KB, 900x900)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>93291897
I'm more of a Helvetiq man.
>>
>>93291915
I've never heard of them, what's their most famous stuff?
>>
>>93291897
Startups and Maskmen, actually.
>>
>>93291897
Startups and Scout
>>
>>93291941
I posted it
>>
File: Imperial Council.png (1.11 MB, 744x1039)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
Anon who wrote the Arcs write-up >>93256649

We finished Act 3 if anyone wants to hear the ending.

>Act 3

Our climax begins with the Advocate beginning to rebuild their guild cards with some of our final deals from our alliance happening here to get us both even further ahead. Meanwhile, the Guardian tries to gain control over the industrial material and fuel planets to end their industry and seize their resources to end our exploitation. This causes me to move in with my Ships where I can and with the Empires where I can't but it's a game of cat and mouse with conflicting orders from my Rogue Admirals and his still loyal Imperial Officers from his time as Admiral confusing the Imperial fleet causing weird back and forth movements. Meanwhile, the Guardian and I are also fighting over the Imperial Council in an attempt to become First Regent of the reach and I needing the additional tax revenue. During this, a Diplomatic fiasco is caused due to the Guardians maneuvering causing the Advocate to once again suffer political losses to his now livid anger. In the end, I managed to claim the title of Edenguard as the First Regent; but not to stop industry on these planets but double down on it.
>>
File: pic628401.jpg (27 KB, 525x375)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
favorite card in your favorite game: go!
>>
File: Guild Investigators.png (1.15 MB, 744x1039)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>93292225
The Advocate spends much of their capital making a dozen political Moves to Recover the Guild members and set up to Secure their loyalty. Being tired of dealing with the Guardian and their nuisance I turn my Armies to crush their Fleet and Maintain permanent control over their planets, launching a huge campaign over the course of 5 battles. Opening volleys of a Skirmish in two different systems which my Skirmishers let me win easily, disabling the fleet from being able to withstand the second set of battles which is a brutal Assault wiping out 6 ships and a star port from the map and giving me control over two different industrial planets. Then I pick off one little outpost and convince the Advocate to also attack the Guardian over the previous grievances not just in this Act but in all previous Acts of our little epic. This ends with the Guardian and their control all but collapsed, with no fleet, no resources, barely any cities, and no guild connections they have no Power and are ages from their Objectives, their spirit broken.

cont.
>>
File: Skirmishers.png (1.09 MB, 744x1039)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>93292256
The Guardian doesn't go down without one last swing however, they turn around and from a position of defeat argue with the Advocate to convince them to put their whole effort to attack me, giving their last two ships to the Advocate. The Advocate is able to use their legal demand plus silver tongues to capture some important cards from me and get in the lead as the number one Tycoon and Keeper and win their large collection of guild support in the Court. As such all I can do as Steward and official power of the Empire is squeeze this last thorn out of the side of Empire control, I take my still undefeated fleet to an outpost of the Advocate that is undefended except for one ship and start a Skirmish to hide a Raiding party which while getting rid of the Sworn Guardians only gets me one fuel resource. There is more damage than intended however destroying the Relic City and the one defending ship. I then move my 7 ship fleet, a mix of Loyal and Imperial pieces to the next system over with a larger defense force of 4 ships. Starting with a mixed Skirmish and Assault battle I managed to wipe out the defense fleet but damaged half of my fleet still not losing any ships. I then get to Raid the now undefended Star Port kidnapping three guild members and destroying it.

cont.
>>
>>93291897
>What are your favorite Oink games?
startups, a fake artist goes to new york, and oddly deep sea adventure despite owning and selling two copies. a friend owns his own and we play it with psychos that dive as deep as possible and pick up as much as they can to deplte the oxygen and murder everyone. it created this meta where you either
A) play safe and pick up easy points rounds 1 and 2, and then capitalize on all the stacked treasure he and the poor drowned bastards left behind.
or
B) you think you can beat the greed, go deep (but not too psycho level deep) and try to race back up. if the cowards returned early enough, you just might have enough oxygen to pull it off.
>>
File: Predictive Sensors.png (1.03 MB, 744x1039)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>93292262
In response the Advocate retaliates across the Reach in an undefended Gate Port, however, my Predictive Sensors, a secretive program I had developed late last Act called in just in time a small force of 2 ships that were clearly ready and willing to respond. The Raid on the Gate Port is completely thwarted before a boarding party can land, half of the 6 ship fleet is destroyed, and my two ships are unharmed but the port unfortunately explodes under the barrage. All resources and guild members were secured before the destruction however and sent elsewhere.

At this point it's nearly over, only I as the Steward has a significant board presence and has over double the guild loyalty and power over the Advocate, they secure their own modest victories but their fate as a minor bureaucrat of the Empire is all but secured and the Guardian, a footnote nuisance that was put down by the new and only ruler of the Reach, the Steward.

>Final campaign thoughts.
That was awesome, in some ways the ending was a forgone conclusion just because I had secured such a lead in the first two Acts in tools at my disposal but it was tense until the end of the Second chapter and my friends put up a good last stand. I think Arcs has beaten Oath as my number 1 favorite game. We're starting another campaign tonight and at the end of that I'll know for certain but all I want to do is think about and play more Arcs.
>>
File: L08.png (866 KB, 744x1039)
866 KB
866 KB PNG
>>93292230
This has done work for me recently ;)
>>
File: 1720577896072.jpg (4.16 MB, 2304x3060)
4.16 MB
4.16 MB JPG
>>93292289
Forgot to post on first post instead of chosen image but this was Board state going into Act 3 for what I mean by lead
>>
File: 20240709_212009.jpg (3.78 MB, 3746x2810)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
Guys help me out, I can't figure out where to place my worker
>>
>>93292395
If by worker you mean your dragon dildo then... I don't know, I honestly haven't figured out why you guys keep buying them
>>
File: 1567198184457.jpg (62 KB, 362x447)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>93292395
Hinterwise, my cool dude.
If you see the big Red dude you went too far.
>>
>>93292423
The flood tile is nice, but that's a lot of cattle. Should I really pass them up? Yellow has more favor than me...
>>
>>93292395
I would play them on your opponent's hand. It's not particularly beneficial but they'll get a penalty when they inevitably mishandle your components.
>>
>>93292443
Usually I'd agree, but Secrets are enclosed, them cattle are cursed.
When your bro reaches for them, don't interrupt, don't remind. Let the heifers be his undoing.
>>
>>93292395
Dude just Jihad in Hinterlands' Pyramid you'll win in no time.
>>
File: 81v4OnyRMkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (274 KB, 1500x1500)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
This game is alright.
>>
>>93289436
oath really is Kingmaking: the Game, which is a bit of an acquired taste. for me just adding the small legacy carrot for dealmaking is enough coupled with the satisfying tableau management that slowly churns through the cardpool powered by player choices.
i would say root is not a game about negotiation and high level play won't have much of it. even otter play doesn't really feel like negotiation once people understand the stakes.
oath negotiation also is quite limited (especially without a certain amount edifice in play), but I don't mind it so much because it can sort of cheapen the rest of the gameplay when other players can so easily pool their resources to stop you. it's already hard to prevent multiple player actions aimed at you, but when players can donate secrets it's even more over. so having that not be in play every game does feel fair to me and more important- there are positional & area control levers you need to pull to use it.
citizenship offers can feel pretty same game after game - i hope the expansion opens this up a lot.
the winner hot potato can be interesting to me. the number of wincons and their timing windows keeps it feeling dynamic enough for me. i can totally get hating it though. it's really fun to play with my group of friends
your comments about turn structure though I think Wehrle really took to heart. Arcs is the exact opposite in that way. it's very refreshing
>>
>>93292230
Why is this your favourite? Drawing out higher techs once 1 is exhausted?
>>
>>93287664
I've fallen in love with Arcs personally, what about the design offends you?
>>
Oh elders of /tg/ i come seeking your wisdom about these two games:
Endless Winter: Paleoamericans
Tiletum
is either good? Is there anything i should know before buying?
>>
File: cover2_lg.jpg (285 KB, 511x650)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>
>>93292640
This is the sort of cancerous brain dead aggressive play that makes me question the games longevity and the designers integrity.
I don't think I'll be backing another Oslo Powers game again.
>>
>>93291897
DroPolter
>>93294376
NTA I find it to be another lump of Cole with the same baked in frailty to differing skill levels as all his other games. I know that I will never be able to have a fun game with my wife because she can't hold the same level of autistic junk knowledge required to play strategically as opposed to tactically. At this point I might be declaring Wehrle anathema for my sanity.
>>
>>93295048
Ah, that's fair, I have a friend group that's more or less close enough in skill that it's not a problem. I will say in comparison to other Wehrle games Arcs is more tactical than strategical, the landscape shifts with such consistency that it's more trying to see what's possible in a round and chapter than in a whole game/act
>>
>>93292256
>>93292262
This game honestly sounds terrible from your description, like everything in the last couple of moves was decided by just people politicking with each other with nothing to do with the game system itself.
>>
>>93291771
my sentiment exactly

>>93288898
yeah, I'm not telling you that you have to like root, for instance. hate away. I just think it's ridiculous to call it "as astonishingly poor design". that's silly. or the commentary of someone living in such an elite game bubble that they have no sense of how shit the median game design is.
now, is it on the same level as pax pamir? no way. maybe it's not to your taste or you can nitpick certain mechanics you don't like? same. but it's obvious from even a casual play what its fans see in it.
>>
>>93295561
Your final point convinces me this is exactly my groups style.
Picking up arcs, thanks anon for your exhaustive writeups and other anon's succinct sum for the clinch.
>>
>>93295599
Why play any game if system doesn’t matter lol
>>
>>93295611
Could be theme, components, table presentation, the type of actions, the level of player interactivity, game length and player count, cost.
>>
>>93292225
>>93292256
>>93292262
>>93292289
Thanks for the write up anon. I'm looking forward to my campaign game now that I've got a few plays of base Arcs under my belt.
>>
>>93294549
>Endless Winter: Paleoamericans
This is a quintessential nu-Euro. Point salad, a gorillion different mechanics stapled together, and (mostly) multiplayer solitaire.
>>
What is /bgg/‘s thoughts on Oath?

Also I am consistently deprived of players for TTS game nights, anyone have a close-knit group that could use a +1?
>>
>>93296985
Undercooked game with interesting ideas that fall flat on their face since Kingmaking happens all the time.

>anyone have a close-knit group that could use a +1?
Maybe try /vm/'s /tts/?
>>
>>93296985
Post discord/email I'll get you
>>
>>93296985
chill game for a consistent playgroup if you like politicking and kingmaking each other for a better start in the next game
>>
>>93297634
bennyprofane
>>
>>93295561
I'm going to a brewery today to play the wehrle games with some new people, so this sounds perfect to toss back a couple beers and muck around
>>
>>93295640
In other words,
>pax bitch aesthetics
>>
File: 20240709_220155.jpg (3.33 MB, 3700x2775)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
Man, the british players are going to feel really dumb if a dominance check comes up soon
Just gotta hope none of them roll a 7, or I could be in trouble
>>
>>93298039
You can't put a road on a half-wormhole before you fully develop your Privilegium, anon.
>>
>>93298058
Nah I got Wormhole generator, it cost a lot of rupees but it was worth it
>>
File: Zona.jpg (151 KB, 611x600)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Post the ugliest boxarts you've seen
>>
>>93298039
>rolled an 11 with only one blue town and no occupying troops or tribes on space-kandahar
It’s literally never been more over.
>>
>>93295561
It's a wehrle game anon
Of course it's a very interesting and fancy way to kingmake and stop each other winning on the last turn
>>
>>93298227
Will someone ever inform Cole that kingmaking is a bug, not a feature?
>>
post a multilateral conflict game where kingmaking isn't present or is diminished to where it isn't an issue
>>
I know there's some Evolution: The Beginning guy here who says it's better than Climate. Have you tried the latest iteration, Nature? It's currently in playtesting.
>>
>>93298284
No.
>>
>>93287624
jump up your mom's ass
>>
>>93298288
I once had a game of Istanbul end with kingmaking. Any game that has even the tiniest hint of interaction is prone to it.
>>
Stratego is better than 90% of modern board games
>>
>>93298719
Even Catan is better than 90% of modern board games when you consider on a scale of sheer numbers the overwhelming amount of party shit and games for kids that are just toys with rules
>>
>>93298288
Runewars
>>
>>93298719
Block wargames mog Stratego hard.
>>
>>93298719
dunno my guy I dont understand the point of luck-based abstracts (inb4 stratego takes skill).
>>
>>93295561
There was probably only two actual meta politicking moments in that last Act and it was largely due to poor play. The other things that sound like politicking were just rules as written (court, Dealmakers, Advocate's Demand, the Summit phase of events). It's why I took care to post card pictures to show how the story comes from card and player interactions. It's actually probably the least table politicking of the Wehrle games although it still has a little bit. But if you hate all table talk this is probably not gonna be the game for you so I understand.
>>
>>93296213
Yeah I think while base Arcs is better than base Root and as such a real good game. The Campaign game is the best game I've ever played. Definitely beats oath which was my previous favorite.
>>
>>93298815
Pull up your cargo shorts
>>
Can you imagine holding fond memories of stratego, and *not* wearing cargo shorts?
Like, where else am I keeping all the pieces???
>>
>>93288036
The stock balance is extremely bad but it's fixed somewhat by the Airship and Modular Board expansions. There are also fan balance tweaks that help it out considerably.
t. Actually enjoys Scythe's mechanics
>>
>>93298284
I think he is an outspoken defender of kingmaking as a feature.
>>93298288
As >>93298703 said, the more interactive a game, the easier it is to kingmake. However, I think a big difference is a game like Kemet asking 'do you want to kingmake?' whilst a game like Oath only asks 'who do you want to make king/stop?'.

Now, there are nuances of course and I don't want this to degenerate into a discussion about how to define kingmaking. Not because it's nit interesting but because it's really hard to define it and this always leads to everyone using a definition that underlines his own arguments.
>>
>>93298216
Great western trail
>>
>>93286996
Inelegant post
>>
>>93286028
You might have the wrong post number here, but yes. Ion games office is based in Stockholm and they were really nice and friendly.
>>
Weekly game-night and we played bloodstones again instead of ttrpg.
Game is really fun and we are having a blast with it.
Chaos horde lives up to it's name and is kinda busted to play with.

I'll probably have to print and play this game soon so we can bring a game to the actual table.
I'm not seeing myself paying 150€ for it. Making the tiles should be easy enough since I have some woodworking experience.
>>
>>93299600
Chaos Horde definitely makes everyone else have to play weird
would love to see your PnP if you go through with it
>>
>>93292230
3 of spades
>>
If you're looking for something to do consider unsleeving your cards so you can sleeve them again.
>>
>>93288950
No pun included is the best yt channel and i dont know why SUSD and Shelfside get shilled so much here.
>>
>>93299679
I did that recently with Mage Knight, can recommend.
>>
>>93299600
Unironically chits would work better than dominoes.
>>
>>93292289
I've yet to play the campaign, but I find it hard to believe most of this wasn't narrative fluff. I feel that with its mechanics, Arcs, in opposition to Oath, had a lot of the story-making aspect cut away. Sure you could cobble together turns, cards, actions and whatnot into a story, but Oath lended itself to this much more naturally. The titles and art of cards just doesn't evoke the same level of flavor in Arcs.
I will say that, mechanically speaking, it is a much better game than its predecessors. I really enjoy the trick-taking aspect and the use of resources to supplement "bad" hands. I just don't think it has that same emergent narrative potential. I will have to get the campaign to the table soon and see if it really stacks up, but it's just hard to see that from a mechanical standpoint.
>>
>>93299679
I recently order a proxy of my mtg cube, so I'll have more than enough cards to sleeve for a while.
>>
>>93299740
>>>/tg/bwg/
>>
>>93299051
Cargo shorts boomer didn't even like wargames newfag.
>>
>>93294549
>Tiletum
Played only one game (not my copy) and won by a wide margin (40ish points gap between me and 2nd)
It's nothing special, and didn't feel like a game with good replayability, I can see myself playing it like 2 or 3 times at most
It's just another euro where you move around and do shit which makes you points and theres this event thing that occurs at specific locations at specific rounds (every playes has this information at setup) for even more points
Not bad but also not very good
>>
>>93286799
Second this: >>93288594

But also check out the Birth of America series from Academy Games.
>>
>>93299426
I watched the talk he did on kingmaking, and basically he thinks people shouldn't make so much a big deal about kingmaking, it's baked into life practically, and even other not board games like battle royales with multiple teams all going for the same objective will have problems with kingmaking that naturally arise, at high levels people stop taking fights and camp because there's big chances you kingmake another group that cleans up the result of your fight
No interaction and potential for kingmaking just means you're playing multi-player solitaire and that's even more boring then getting kingmade
>>
>>93286799
Here I Stand, churchill/pericles
>>
>>93299887
The Campaign helps a lot more than base game at building narrative although if you try a bit you can get some in base game, the different objectives and plotline specific cards that only you have helps a ton. The game giving you an identity that evolves and how that identity plays against other identities is how story rises. I will say for certain though, I put way less effort into my Act 3 Narrative language than Act 2 and 1 and it still comes out as a coherent story because that's just how the campaign works. Very happy with it.
>>
Any suggestions for a dexterity game? It's a genre neither I nor my group have delved in to and would like to bring one next game night.
>>
I love games that let you put a bit of your personality in your playing style. Games like Innovation or Pax Ren has this feeling of freedom, where every game is unique and lets you play creatively to some extent.

Are there any more games like this? And to contrast, whenever I play Gaia Project I feel like Im in a straightjacket - a straightjacket made out of hard, cold math.
>>
File: 20230615_214453.jpg (2.57 MB, 3024x3024)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>93301010
Evolution: Climate, splotter games forbidden sure like antiquity or the great Zimbabwe. I always found 1v1 card duelers to allow tons of player expression in deck construction and deck piloting, particularly in games like Sakura Arms and Netrunner. If you enjoy innovation, do look into Mottainai. Wonderful game in a tiny package punching above is weight.
It's a weird fit, but dexterity games. A conservative, risk averse player is not gonna play FlickFleet the same way as a white knuckle cowboy.
>>
>>93301010
horseless carriage feels super creative to me
>>
>>93300969
Dro Polter—Oink game where you attempt to be the fastest to drop one or more specific charms out of your hand and subsequently bust the ghost. Each time you do so the difficulty increases because your points are bells that you must not drop from your hand.
It's great fun with kids and adults and is a great filler and party game.
Crokinole or Carooka are large custom table games that somewhat resemble curling and snooker respectively. Both are great fun. Carooka would be my pick if I were in the UK, but the shipping from the UK is ungodly I hear.
>>
>>93299963
faggot
>>
>>93301010
>Games like Innovation or Pax Ren has this feeling of freedom, where every game is unique and lets you play creatively to some extent.
Have you played Race for the Galaxy?
I think you would enjoy.
>>
>>93300969
Egyptian Rat Screw

>>93301010
Mysterium or Dixit
>>
>>93300969
Hibachi, Staxis and Tumblin' Dice are all enjoyable.
>>
File: 20231231_203529.jpg (1.88 MB, 3024x2830)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>93300969
Kabuto Sumo
>>
>>93301010
>Games like Innovation or Pax Ren has this feeling of freedom, where every game is unique and lets you play creatively to some extent
Strange thing to say, Innovation and Pax Ren are adaptation games, you don't get to choose the option you just work with what you get. All the while you shit on Gaia which gives you complete carte blanche on how to develop.
>>
>>93300969
If >>93301211 "touch cards fast enough" passes for a dexterity game I'm going to plug Archduke >>93292926. You can play it with a standard pack of cards.
>>
>>93300168
I suppose I should watch the talk instead of responding to you, but that seems like a nonargument. Real life also has player elimination, vastly unfair starts, driven by randomness etc. He's right that you can't stop all the potential kingmaking that might occur, the higher the interaction the higher that potential. But, as said in my previous post, I think there's a clear difference in how games handle it. Especially Oath is designed in a way that makes kingmaking almost inevitable; it's part of the design. Players can and will have a shot at winning at a similar time and players that try to win early are punished by having to announce their victory and wait a turn; making the process of stopping them far easier and helping other players to get to the point of winning themselves with all the consequences that come with that. Meaning: someone eventually gets kingmade, and this is what I find so unstatisfying about it. The choice is about who do I actively kingmake. Wehrle tries to soften this with the legacy light element and the promise of citizenship, but I found myself not caring about that. If games generally end this way, it doesn't matter much in what position I start the neymxt game.

Ultimately I think this is purely a matter of taste. Some people don't mind or like it, some don't. All the walls of text won't convince the other that kingmaking is good/bad/fun/unfun. Personally, I don't like it but in most games don't really mind the occasional occurence. However, it is baked into the very fundament of Oath and so inevitable here that the game around it feels almost feels irrelevant to me.
>>
>>93301010
This >>93301799 tbqh
Not entirely sure what you are looking for, what you described sounds more like "the game lets me do cool stuff" rather than gameplay freedom
>>
>>93302244
Pretty sure you are not the anon I'm responding to, so mind the rule yourself and let the adults talk.
>>
Thoughts on DVONN after 50 plays - I really dislike the "both players keep going till nobody can" rule. Its so counter-intuitive and it feels like in the last 5 turns or so the game takes over and autopilots you to illiogical conclusion. Why the hell am I FORCED to take turns that destroy me? I had clown tier games where I ran out of turns, prepared myself to lose, only to watch my opponent be forced to kill himself by the game. I also feel like it limits the strategy a lot - at first I was really into the creative possibilities of the game - maybe you want to focus on building large protected towers, or maybe you wanna concentrate your forces around the red pieces, or maybe you will try to kill as many enemy pieces as possible, you can take over one region of the board or multitask multiple sides etc DVONN lacks the clear directionality of chess and its great, but the fuck you keep moving rule boils everything down to one clear strategy - attrition of possible moves. Your sole mission is to not be the first guy to run out of moves (in general and good moves in particular), so all these wacky strats with building a large stack and jumping across the board to safety can never really work.
>>
File: latest pickups.jpg (970 KB, 3442x898)
970 KB
970 KB JPG
just bought these games after not buying a board game in several years. Playing solo but R8 my pick up. I paid a total of $110 for everything
>>
>>93302362
Congrats, you just realised that the whole GIPF series is trash.
>>
>>93300969
Dungeon Fighter
>>
File: 2024-07-08 at 19.17.40.png (206 KB, 678x455)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
I got late on the Wingspan bandwagon
The game is really fun, but I can only buy it for +70eur now
Was it always that pricey?
>>
>>93303294
There are better games in the genre that are also cheaper. Try buying those instead.
>>
>>93303313
Any recommendations?
>>
>>93302533
tell me how they go, i wanna try some new solo games if they're on tts.
>>
>>93303322
Race for the Galaxy
>>
>Race for the Player Aid
>>
>she needs a player aid to play Race
>>
>>93299919
>proxy of my mtg cube
What does this mean? Where did you order it from?
>>
>>93301081
>Mottainai
I played it once and the card quality seemed trash. Is it usually this was or did the guy had a bad version?
>>
>>93302362
I fucking knew dvonn could be mathematically solved, there's a research paper I found that talked about potentially solving Dvonn and a bunch of other abstract games
https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~marijn/publications/solving_games.pdf
>>
>>93303750
NTA, but proxies are mtg cards you print out and use instead of actual cards, you just print out a sheet of cards, and cut them out and put them in sleeves with extra mtg cards you don't use as backing. A cube is a set of cards for draft formats in mtg
>>
File: Put this on bga.jpg (113 KB, 768x512)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>93285879
How do we convince NSV to put Qwixx on BoardGameArena?
>>
>>93304063
I mean in 10 years AI sophistication and general computing powers will solve all games, why would that matter? That said DVONN is probably least "solvable" of all GIPF games since it involves, the set-up alone provides random arrangement of 49 pieces and the placement of the first 3 red pieces drastically impacts the game
>>
>>93303856
All the chudyk games I know have pretty shit components
>>
>>93303294
70eur+?? I'm sure you can get it cheaper. It's like 50eur tops.
Where are you buying from?

If you like birds this is the best game. Otherwise there are other games that offer similar gameplay.
>>
>>93304093
Mostly correct, I used mpc to print them, which is still kind of expensive, but not real mtg cards expensive.
>>
>>93304672
Just because an AI can beat a human in a game doesn't mean the game is solved. it needs a closed form solution for that and AI is definitely not that.
>>
>>93301799
>>93302259
Both games let you ’think out of the box’ and play creatively to find a win. Im not sure Gaia Project even lets you have a certain play style (aside from your faction)
>>
Whats your favorite review from No Pun Included? There are alot of good videos so its hard to choose.
>>
>>93305597
I don't watch NPI because I'm not a fucking retard
>>
>>93305597
Efka, stop posting on a Vietnamese shrubbery board and go spend time with your wife.
>>
>>93305597
>>93299681
What is with this relentless one-man astroturfing effort? Is it because the guy is grotesque and looks like he's constantly regurgitating food for an out of shot baby bird? Do you want him to feed you in such a manner? Is that it, shill-kun?
>>
File: macaque.jpg (63 KB, 369x516)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>93292230
This or the european adder with hypnosis.
>>
>>93300168
I guess I can now flank Cole Wehrle from the left and criticize the forced, conflictive social interaction of his games as unwelcoming to autistic people.
>>
>>93302228
I think this is why Oath needs a high player count. I've played it at 3 and it's pretty miserable for the reasons you describe: every game will end with kingmaking, and kingmaking at 3 feels awful.
>>
>>93302362
>Why the hell am I FORCED to take turns that destroy me? I had clown tier games where I ran out of turns, prepared myself to lose, only to watch my opponent be forced to kill himself by the game.
This sounds absolutely amazing. I mean this sounds like moral lesson tier shit. Sounds like a game that juvenile Princes of the Orient would be made to play by their grand viziers to learn the limitations of kingship.
>>
>>93303322
Dog Park, it's basically the same thing.
>>
>>93305649
It's pretty obvious it's not someone pro-NPI but someone repeatedly trying to incite hate for them in the threads. The dude got banned and a bunch of his posts deleted last thread, presumably for just relentlessly spamming posts about a nowhere youtube channel. Now his ban has run out, and he's back to doing the exact same shit. Extreme fag behaviour, especially when he got randomly personal and talked about the youtuber dying and his wife marrying someone else.
>>
>>93305737
I take a long time between drinks in these threads so I never saw the deletion nor the hypothetical widow fanfic. Sounds like it was an immensely tiresome derailment. Thanks for the context which should allow me to avoid activating this particular shitposter's almonds in future.
>>
File: pic84433.jpg (108 KB, 1200x900)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>93305597
I, too, often sit at home and ponder what my favourite video of a reviewers channel is, like a completely normal person!

On that topic, how's Through the desert? I keep confusing it with a similarly (?) named coop game I've seen once. Now that I realized it's a higher tier knizia, I'm very interested in it.
>>
>>93305798
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/93285879/#93287738
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/93285879/#93287763
just for reference
>>
How's Cascadia? I've been planning on buying it. You think my wife will like this game? She enjoys co-ops mostly, but she also likes Kingdomino, Azul, Ingenious, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Quacks of Quedlinburg.
>>
>>93305897
Sounds like a good bet.
>>
>>93305809
Its pretty good. Though I prefer Colossal Arena.
>>
>>93285879
Any games like Eldritch Horror? I had fun with it and all the expansions but I need mooore
>>
>>93305843
Thank you for enlightening me, o scholar of schizoposters.
Speaking of schizos, what are /bgg/'s favourite hidden traitor games? I haven't played anything beyond old IRC mafia and it looks like the next fotm genre for us. We won't be jumping in with overpriced stuff like Blood on the Clocktower, but I'd be delighted to hear nuanced endorsements or stories if you have them regardless of price or availability.
>>
>>93306781
Blood on the clocktower is honestly very good but I don't blame you for not buying into an overproduced rip-off.
>>
>>93305897
I played with a bunch of people with varied experience with board games, including complete newfags to board games. It's not a "holy fuck I want to play Cascadia so damn bad" kind of game but literally everyone enjoyed it.
>>
>>93306873
>It's not a "holy fuck I want to play Cascadia so damn bad" kind of game
What game is? I assume you're talking about new players.
>>
>>93307084
Dungeon Fighters and 5 Minutes Dungeon always had that effect on beginners in my experience
>>
File: BOTC.png (17 KB, 971x144)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>93306781
BotC is the uncontested king of social deduction. Was ecstatic that the wrong price sticker was put on it and I got it for about half price.
>>
>>93307084
>What game is?
Cosmic Encounter and Sheriff of Nottingham for my friends
>>
>>93307412
>Wehrle like the most chaotic wild ride social deduction games offer
Gee who'd have thought. I can only imagine to what lengths he would go when designing a social deduction game to make sure you'll be able to kingmake someone after 3 hours
>>
File: unclean.png (874 KB, 800x600)
874 KB
874 KB PNG
I have returned from my slumber.
Post a game you love and why you love it, and I'll try to make some dumb meme or reaction pic out of it. First come first serve.
>>
>>93308018
horseless carriage please
>>
>>93306781
I like Bang because in most cases you can ignore the traitor aspect but it can still offer some schizo moments.
>>
>>93308018
I'm not sure if love is the appropriate word, but I'm currently in a honeymoon phase with Archduke >>93292926. I like how the gameplay is hectic enough that people can fuck up the memory and timing aspects of the game without being so hectic as to be overbearing.
>>
>>93308018
I like cheating moth because it devolves in absolute chaos while inebriated
>>
>>93308018
I love bullet.
From the real time frenetic puzzle gameplay, to the thumping music acting as the timer, to the howls as someone pulls a 4 and is now at their last health point, it's just non stop fun. After 15 minutes the game is over and the table asks:
>can we play that again???
>>
File: unclean.png (876 KB, 716x1397)
876 KB
876 KB PNG
>>93308054
You did not tell me why you love it but this instantly coalesced into my mind so you get a freebie
>>
>>93308018
Pax Ren because I like the feeling of wealth and power
>>
File: 1700693613876906.jpg (4.2 MB, 3000x6112)
4.2 MB
4.2 MB JPG
>>93308222
This, plus I'm staying for the eligible bitches
>>
File: unclean.png (1.86 MB, 1601x1601)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>93308109
Always enjoyable honeymoon phase with silly card games.

>>93308222
>>93308293
I've already done pax ren, I hope someone saved it.
>>
File: unclean.jpg (387 KB, 1175x2930)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
>>93308222
>>
>>93308192
That's actually pretty good
>>
>>93304672
>The most important obstruction to solve dvonn is its immense number of starting
positions. Although not all starting positions should be evaluated to determine the game- theoretic value, those that need to be computed still amount to huge numbers. Besides this obstruction, it should be possible to solve a given starting position: 1) The game-tree is not very deep (at most 24 turns for each player); 2) transposition tables could be applied to reduce computational costs substan-tially; and 3) by threatening to isolate many pieces, a player could significantly tighten the number of moves of his opponent.
from the paper it said the main focus of applying ai to games could only really be applied for perfect information games, and couldn't be used for negotiation or imperfect information, the examples being monopoly and stratego respectively (they saw the future and knew someone would meme about stratego in this thread somehow), since you couldn't apply an exact number to the value of those actions. There is an optimal way to play DVONN and there are ways to figure out what move you need to be doing basically, I am admittedly too much of a brainlet to tell you what it is though other than trying to reduce the number of moves the opponent can do.

It reminds me of the anon a while ago talking about perceived rng, where the player has so many decision trees and options it feels like it's near random, even if it isn't. I think it's interesting too as a counterpoint to the kingmaking stuff being bad, with multi-player stuff and negotiation you won't have perfect play most of the time and will end up unwittingly kingmaking someone by some early action you did that you might not have been aware of (you doing this deal plays into someone's elses hand badly). It being not perfect doesn't mean it shouldn't exist though, you not being magnus Carlson or some ai that can solve abstract games doesn't mean you can't and shouldnt muck around and kingmake people for fun.
>>
>>93308352
Fuck it whatever I'm on mobile and can't edit this shit properly, top stuff next to the greentext is from the paper
>>
File: unclean.png (791 KB, 1280x720)
791 KB
791 KB PNG
>>93308115
I hate this game so god damn much

>>93308350
Danke
>>
>>93307913
What immediately went through my mind here was 'The King's Vizier' and I imagine it like:
>You play an official in an Indian subcontinent-like medieval court
>There are a dizzying number of potential officials, each with their own responsibilities
>There is also a dizzying line of inheritance on who will be the next king if the king dies, which is hidden information at the start of the game
>The king dying is a fact; the game is about learning and manipulating the line of inheritance and killing off specific players to assure someone from your faction becomes the next king when he does
I think it could be kind of fun.
>>
>>93302228
Yeah he said in the talk he said specifically designed the root and it's later iterations specifically to have kingmaking, and he cared more about the narratives that can come from it, see the arc poster that got inspired to write up his game, over making the system not have kingmaking and trying to avoid it. The walls of text are cuz I like game design topics, there are a lot more decisions that go into it than people give it credit for I feel
>>93305705
Kek this is probably the take
>>
>>93308018
Agricola because it's like if Harvest moon hated you
>>
File: unclean.png (1.04 MB, 689x931)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>93308150
Honestly can't wait for the bullet vidya
>>
File: 1687889991521728.jpg (62 KB, 500x500)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>93308542
A-MA-ZING
>>
>>93308018
Damn, anons already picked all my favorite games.
Pokémon Master Trainer because it's a fucking terrible game but the concept of playing your Pokémon adventure in tabletop form was amazing for child me.
>>
>>93308192
oh my bad i got too excited
love horseless carriage for the variety of dumbass strategies it lets me test out with only space as a restriction. love the interaction on the market board and innovating into a technology i know my rival can't squeeze in. love how every game i can learn something from opponent's factories and that feeling of "if i had just slid this over one square when i initially placed it i'd be rich right now.."
>>
>>93308018
FUCK I just got this one
I thought it was just loss
10/10
>>
>>93308542
Holy you are the meme connoisseur, I kneel king
>>
>>93308517
If I can't win your game without having to pretend to be friendly to random strangers, it's a bad game.
>>
>>93308542
extremely based
>>
>>93308607
I'm sorry, I don't think I ever implied I cared about your personal opinion, is there a reason you're trying to share it to an anon?
>>
>>93308693
>>93285879
>>
File: unclean.png (898 KB, 696x931)
898 KB
898 KB PNG
>>93308530
a quick one with my favorite agricola card ever

>>93308561
>>93308583
>>93308604
>>93308629
thanks bros
>>93308581
forgiven. I wish I too could find the fun in splotters
>>
>>93308714
I don't understand, why should I try to be friendly with you and care about your personal opinion, it makes no difference in discussing systems and if I have to be friendly with you to discuss things, it's shit
>>
>>93308018
I'm having fun with a friends' copy of Ora et Labora
It's good because it's the most interactive eurogame, with you stealing the resource potential, the buildings they wanna build, and the actions on the buildings your opponents do get. Like imagine walking into a store on a quiet day, taking some grain, and every other customer in the store going "NOOOOO YOU FAGGOT I WAS GONNA USE THAT AAAAAH" except those customers take the clay, the lumber, and the grapes you wanted and they ask one of your serfs to pick those up and deliver them to their home, so now it's your turn to be angry. It's fun. No idea what kinda meme you would make out of that though
>>
File: Kino.jpg (176 KB, 1038x584)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>93308760
Splendid, thank you
>>
File: unclean.png (1.51 MB, 1300x867)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>93308561
this shitty obvious joke was NOT worth the time I spent on this
>>93308932
Anytime
>>
>>93309045
shit, was meant for >>93308566
>>
>>93309045
Based child committing a felony.
Don't let the Gym rats dictate how it's done!
>>
>>93308542
Truly a meme master. I have the poster of this hanging in my room still
recently read through the book and got sad as I discovered that like 95% of it is very meh and not like I remembered
>>
>>93308317
Danke schon.
>>
>>93308192
>>93308581
is Horseless Carriage one of games that could be played with pen and paper or do a vareity of components move around?
>>
>>93308337
lmaoooo
>>
File: unclean.png (964 KB, 640x900)
964 KB
964 KB PNG
>>93308814
>No idea what kinda meme you would make out of that though
Witness me
>>93309161
Thanks!
>>
File: 1715319850475407.gif (421 KB, 320x320)
421 KB
421 KB GIF
>>93308337
You cheeky fucker!
>>
>>93308018
How about Eclipse?
>>
>>93308018
Homeworlds gets a lot of hubbub ITT and I want to like IceTowers but for me it's World War 5 because I can actually find people to play it with
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (59 KB, 512x384)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Can we all agree that from the modern perspective on game design, checkers is a better game than chess? Checkers is:
>more elegant
>has exciting combo moves and tactical traps
>pieces often get promoted, making them satisfyingly powerful
Chess is overdesigned, has too many weird ass rules, pawns almost never see a promotion, game too often ends in a draw
>>
>>93309192
Components do move around both in and out, but only on the market board and that I think can be written out as "Ford sell turn, sets Dealership window (1x2 size) at (1,2) to (1,3), -2 Sports Demand on (1,2), +10$ to Ford" or something like that
For all other parts components merely move in one direction, like on the research tracks, or move in to stay like on the factory boards, so tracking will be easier.
>>
>>93309417
No. Leave critical thought to others if you lack natural predispositions.
>>
>>93309417
>pawns almost never see a promotion
only if you play like a scrub
id tell you to git gud but youre a checkers baby so the true depths of Chess design are out of your reach no matter what
>>
>>93309417
Overdesigned is in fashion. Come back 20 years ago.

Pente >>>>> Draughts btw
>>
>>93309417
High level checkers also tend towards draws, but yeah checkers is more elegant I tend to agree
>en peasant, castling
>checks and checkmate are convoluted af, the king has special rules you have to consider differently
>knight movement is random af compared to the other pieces and has its own special rules
I still like doing chess puzzles though
>>
>>93303294
if you just want bird-themed games there's not a ton of other options. but yeah to >>93303492 anon's point, Race is a MUCH better head to head engine builder.
>>
>>93309638
>Race is a MUCH better head to head engine builder.
FUCK the setup though GOD DAMN. It's no wonder everyone who likes RftG plays digital.
>>
>>93309550
I think the vast majority (and I might be off by a lot here) of people don't really learn chess as you learn a modern boardgame; I played against my father when I was young and basically only had to learn were the more """"advanced"""" rules like castling
>>
>>93309678
What? You give everyone a set of action cards, shuffle the deck and give out 6 cards. It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.
>>
>>93309724
Yeah it's still fairly easy to learn as a kid compared to like 30+ page rule books and an entire book for rulings you'll see now (mage knight is fun), just by comparison checkers is easier to follow. Though I think the better comparison for old board games is go vs chess, where go is more elegant and more complex than chess.
>>
>>93308018
>>93308192
>>93308317
>>93308390
>>93308542
>>93308760
>>93309045
>>93309234
We're SO BACK bros
>>
>>93310146
>Go
>more elegant
Lmao, its retarded rules regarding repeated capture aside, Go basically forces you to play 4 openings in succession because the board is obnoxiously huge. if we're comparing old ass game, Hnefatafl is a good example of "chess but elegant". Its the worlds oldest asymmetrical game (COIN)
>>
>>93302533
does gears of corruption make expeditions any less of a solitaire game?
>>
File: Root cat.png (2.22 MB, 1000x1080)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
Why is board-game fanart so rare, anyway? RPGs and Card games get mountains of art, but only thing I've seen for board games is the occasional Root picture
>>
>>93309750
Nope. You're doing it wrong.
The pool of starting planets are also valid cards in your starting hand. For some reason.
So you need to sift through the deck, pull them all out, shuffle them, deal them, add the leftovers back to the deck, then shuffle the deck and deal starting hand cards.
>>
>>93310537
The average """fan""" of board games plays any given game no more than three times and therefore doesn't get attached to any game in particular.
>>
>>93310569
I separate them out at the end of the game.
>>
>>93310589
Good call. Maybe I should make some art for a game next thread.
>>
File: cosmic frog.png (119 KB, 445x445)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>93308018
If it is not too late, picrel please.
I just like frog on frog violence.
Helps turns are so snappy and even getting the tar beaten out of you doesn't keep you out of the running.
>>
>>93310146
>Somewhere in india, some 1000 years ago
>...so you see rajeet, Go is a far better and elegant game with half the rulesload. It is truly a marvel!
>I don't know, maybe? I still prefer chess. It's just more thematic, really makes you feel like a general.
>You only think that because it has the fucking minis you faggot. Look past aesthetics!
>Yes and? What am I even doing in go?
>Clearly you do not posess the mental fortitude to appreciate this gem from a culture superior to our own-
>So it's just about who designed it, you absolute nubian. How can it be the superior game when is there no theme? Why do I put the pieces not in the spaces but at the crossection of the lines? And why is the board so unnecessarily big?
>So I can fuck your fat mother on it while you get mated in 4 AGAIN
>Sirs please this is a hindu mandala appreciation forum
>>
>>93310353
Modern "Hnefatafl" is a "reconstruction" that just assumes the rules are the sam as Tablut because the boards look similar. We do not know how actual Hnefatafl is played but it probably used dice.
I'll agree to Go being retarded. The rules aren't standardized and one of the larger variants has ambiguous scoring.
>>
File: 1675436232522176.jpg (370 KB, 688x673)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>93310796
Baked the new thread, not letting trolls mishandle the OP again
>>
>>93302362
thats my favourite part of dvonn. you have to be extremely careful at the end and visualize the final moves and plan accordingly
>>
>>93308018
fresh fish
>>
>>93309550
>checks and checkmate
These are just a concession to the losing player. Declaring that "i can win next turn unless you stop me" is just good manners at any sport, and ending the game two turn before it's forced to end (checkmate instead of waiting for one more move then killing the king that can't escape) is also just a formality.
Castling and en passant could be considered "clunky balance changes for the sake of balance", I agree, but Knights movement is just a fill in for the blindspots of the Queen, there's nothing random about it AND it has a consequence of making a high effect ceiling unit that gives a lot of juicy forks (threaten attack on two different things at once so that one of them dies no matter what) that other units need to work hard for (or just be the Queen).
>>
>>93306705
Horrified, whichever monsters appeal to you more.
>>
>>93307913
>>93308485
I haven't played it but isn't John Company kind of like that?
>>
>>93318109
Not really. If you kingmake in JC you're just bad at the game and there isn't a huge amount of offices and no real "line of succession".
>>
>>93298288
>post a multilateral conflict game where kingmaking isn't present or is diminished to where it isn't an issue
Literally all you have to do to prevent kingmaking is obscure standings so nobody loses hope. You can do that either by end game scoring or by having players be able to spontaneously win by hitting specific conditions.

Fucking Ticket to Ride has that shit. It's not that difficult.

Also,
Hot Take: Kingmaking isn't a bad thing. You should be taking into consideration how you treat other players during a game. Negotiation is a basic board game skill and a component of tons of games.
>>
File: Untitled.png (269 KB, 600x600)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>93298216
No. Fuck you.
>>
>>93304389
Not so loud anon. We havent seen him in months and I kinda like it this way.
>>
>>93299600
>PnP
>typical euro poor

Just buy the game instead of stealing sir.
>>
>>93323623
The game isn't patented and what he's doing doesn't infringe on copyright.
>>
>>93305897
women love cascadia. I personally find it too simplistic, it almost becomes autopilot after 2 plays.
>>
>>93305897
If she likes Kingdomino she'll like Cascadia.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.