[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Lancer.png (1.3 MB, 773x1000)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
This is the Tabletop RPG Lancer. Say something nice about it.
>>
The 3rd party ecosystem is constantly delivering content for the game.
>>
>>93298315
It exists
>>
I Like how some of the mechs work.
>>
>>93298476
>work
I meant look.
>>
>>93298315
The style, gameplay and (some of) the world building is great. My group of normalfags players have had a ton of fun playing it as our off game.
We don't really interact with the "community" beyond downloading the free supplements.

The thing we don't like is our group is very roleplay heavy, and there's like 0 tools in game for out of mech roleplay. The barebones pilot skills do fuck all.
But even so, using COMP/CON makes the actual mech fighting a shit ton of fun.
>>
>The combat is fun and easy while still being nicely crunchy
>CompCon is the best rpg tool I've ever used
>there's very little that can't be refluffed (my campaign doesn't even acknowledge the existence of union)
>if you do brave the discord, reading the ban list is hilarious
>they put a stupid line in the rulebook that states everything that happens in every game is canon
>>
....I got this mixed up with infinity I think
>>
>>93298315
>Nice
It's not DnD

>Not nice
It's fanbase is somehow even more mentally ill than DnD's fanbase.

>>93298920
Literally got banned from their Discord for asking what factions I could use as villains because, according to them, "questions about fascists are not appropriate for the server". I had never even brought up the word, I literally just wanted to know who I could have my players fight besides random space pirates.
>>
>>93298920
I want to see the banlist now
>>
>>93298315
Their mech designs are neat
>>
I like the mech designs
>>
>>93298315
It's nice how it made people more interested in non-D&D games, and especially mecha TTRPGs.
>>
I just ordered the book because it looks good for some quick oneshots between more "serious" campaigns so I sure hope I will have something nice to say. If anything, getting physical copies of other mecha systems was harder.
>>
>>93299713
I hope you and your players like it. It's fairly easy to learn and tweaking NPCs is a breeze. There's also not a lot to stop you from throwing out the story elements you don't like if you want a more standard universe to play in.
For the sake of simplicity, don't jump into the deep end right from the get go. Start them off at like level 2 or the equivalent if you want some customization without the game getting wacky with complex interactions.
>>
>>93298315
the cover art is decent
>>
>>93299189
I wouldn't say it's gotten worse since most reasonable people who have objections to the lore or to the behavior of its creators and especially community members have been extricated from their shithole community.

If you want to play, feel free to, and to change whatever you don't like about the setting yourself. It's really that simple.
>>
>>93299807
Thanks for the suggestions anon, I will keep that in mind.
>>
>>93299154
> Literally asking a question about who the villain can be
> Banned
Wow I knew that place was bad but seriously, how low can you possibly get?
>>
>>93300412
Part of Lancer's "setting" is pretty much that the civilized galaxy is a huge utopia.

There is literally nobody TO fight except random-ass space pirates (not sure why they even exist in a civilization where everyone has a better standard of living than the wealthy of our world do) or ass-backwards savages on worlds at the edge of the galaxy (don't talk about this though, you'll get banned for being a colonizer).
>>
>>93300718
>secondary
>>
Anybody has any info on Cain?
Ab' keeps teasing the stuff but I still have to see any actual mechanics
>>
>>93300787
If you're playing Lancer in the first place, you're already a "secondary" by default. Don't act like this game has enough clout or popularity to be anything more.
>>
>>93300718
This is not true, but I don't blame you for thinking that it is, because the base game book REALLY makes it seem like it is. Expansion books actually introduce more conflict to the setting... but you're better off just making your own lore than paying for band-aids on the existing lore.
>>
>>93300838
I quite like the game, personally, and the note in the book about how all the text is written from Union's perspective makes it much easier for me to invent my own twists on what is considered "canon"
the entire book is just neo-liberal-imperial propaganda and should be treated as such.

>>93300867
you're paying for this shit?
>>
File: lancer mech battle.jpg (4.88 MB, 1902x2602)
4.88 MB
4.88 MB JPG
>>93298315
my group played it for like 6-8 months thereabouts.

fun overall. the default setting (including the long rim and karakkin trade baronies) gives you enough to grab onto, but also doesnt get in your way if you just want to run something like mechwarrior or armored core.

it has a really well put together web app for character building, one of the best functioning and most well presented i've used

the price is good, with free core rules, and relatively few books, none of which are particularly expensive.

the mech building is flexible and offers good variety without getting into the bean counting and crunching of more in depth systems, so its a good mech game for mech-lite players like D&D regulars or new players, but hardcore mech enthusiasts who want to count their bullets and individual component health will be left wanting, but i think thats a choice the system intentionally makes, choosing speed and ease over hardcore mech crunch. i also like how they handled hacking and heat in a way that dont slow down combat at all

the RP tools are very lacking, by far the worst part of the system to the point where there almost arent any and anything outside of mechs is theater of the mind with very little to grab onto. again this is by design but it was a design choice my group didnt care for.

i guess the art is really divisive but i thought it was good. i liked the weird mech designs and comic book feel of it instead of the spread sheet blueprint look mech games often have and blocky tank chassis looks of something like front mission or mech warrior (though there were still one or two of those). the human characters felt appropriately expressive, varied, and often ugly. the kind of weird or rugged characters you'd expect to see in a space diaspora like cowboy bebop, and the setting offers a good variety of locales and governments from star trek federation to armored core corpo states to space truckers and cowboys to dune noble houses

overall 7/10.
>>
>>93300718
>Part of Lancer's "setting" is pretty much that the civilized galaxy is a huge utopia.

only in the immediate vicinity surrounding the gates. beyond that the utopia is unenforceable and you get corporate slave worlds, independent space stations, caste divided baronies with serfs and nobles.

the whole setting is not a utopia, a very small part of it is, and their peacekeepers are spread impossibly thin outside of protecting the core utopian worlds. elements within the utopia also plot against it behind the scenes or do otherwise sketchy stuff behind its back like harrisons ties to lingering seccom or smith shimanos hidden labs and experiments.
>>
>>93301087
>slave
>using the "s word"
that's a ban
>>
One of the discord admins was really good at screaming "DOES MY CHARACTER KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?!" after every couple of lines I said as GM.
By discord logic, this guy should be one of their best players. I'd like to thank that little bitch for showing me how much it would be waste to stay there.
>>
>>93301347
Was it Wing? Infamously insane schizo mutant. Single-handedly responsible for killing this game's reputation among non-freaks.
>>
>>93298315
No. Fuck you. The game is mid, the setting is shit, more than half the mech designs are retarded or ruined by retarded elements, and the community is unbearable. It’s a mecha game by and for people who don’t even like or know anything about mecha. It would have died in obscurity if it wasn’t tied to a webcomic artist with a rabid and insane fanbase because that and that alone is the only real merit the game has.

Fuck Lancer.
>>
>>93300718
aren't all four of the player mech company options evil? They're space-amazon that make pure-murder machines, Eugenecist hyper-elite luxury manufacturers, Sometimes-good-sometimes-scp-terrorists, and an Empire known for commiting warcrimes and genocide.

>>93299154
I straight up do not believe thats what happened, It's on the restrictive side of discords for sure but I lurk and have seen way worse just get hit with a "be quiet about this".
>>
>>93298315
i found out about lancer because I randomly made a thread here with art from it I got from google images.

Everyone said I was one of the devs trying to shill, so I decided to look it up for real.
>>
File: bad.jpg (40 KB, 550x512)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>93301482
>I do not believe a discord moderator on a circlejerk server would abuse their power.

Lol. LMAO even.
>>
>>93301482
look up the ban log, anon
>>
>>93301580
It's bad, but every week theres a new two-hour discussion about slavery and how evil X and Y faction is, if mentioning what villains there are in the setting was an instant ban that couldn't happen.

I know Discord is a scary word but there's a difference between "bad" and "cartoonishly bad"
>>
>>93301482
>I straight up do not believe that happened.

I straight up believe the only person who would actually say this is someone trying to shill.
>>
>>93301622
>every week theres a new two-hour discussion about slavery and how evil X and Y faction is

Thank you for confirming you have no idea what the Lancer "community" is actually like and are completely talking out of your ass. Unironically, join their server, look at the "ban log" the mods are so proud of. The stuff they ban people for is so utterly retarded it's like they're having a competition to see who can get offended and justify excuses for bans.

It's not often I say something is even worse than the DnD 5e community, but holy shit Lancer's online community is something else.
>>
>>93301385
One of the other ones. Shy, I think? Doesn't matter, I'm not joining that cesspool of shit again
>>
>>93301782
Their idea of what a "slur" is so laughably warped they'd probably get offended at T-rated videogames.
>>
>>93301609
>>93301690
clearly, since I legit did not know there's a public ban log. Well thats on me for talking about a place i just lurk.
>>
>>93301782
This is the kind of vague language that tells me they're not even willing to own up to what was actually said. Like a boss firing someone for "poor attitude" without any write-ups or actual examples to cite.
>>
>>93301782
>banned someone for twitterfights
based actually
>>
>>93301863
I get what you mean, but are they supposed to just constantly screenshot and post a bunch of slurs?
>>
>>93301893
It IS very funny the reputation the Art/Gameplay guy has given he started as an MSPaint forum and 4chan guy.

I remember during the w4r some people in the discord being freaked about those mentioning 4chan while a number of us were members of both communities - but they couldn't tell because they assumed 100% of us were freaks who legally had to say slurs every sentance.
>>
File: file.png (172 KB, 300x240)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>93301863
>>
I like a lot of the lore. The Karrakins, the Harrison guys, the long rim, you can do a lot of different stories in them.
Can't discuss it here without autists seething though and they will intentionally be retarded about it
>>
>>93298315
It was fun playing it for a one-shot, but my friends are terrified of running games where maps are required, so sadly I will probably never play again. I believe I played the mech with the gun that always hit no matter what for guaranteed damage.
>>
>>93300718
>pretty much that the civilized galaxy is a huge utopia
It really isn't. Union WANTS to be utopic, but it's very bureaucratic and not everywhere, and it turns a blind eye to a lot of corrupt things in order to not rock the galactic boat. That includes some of its own members that end up being neglected, or accepting the KTB which still has slavery and a very hierarchical structure as a new member state, because they can bring in some resources, and a lot of corrupt corporations.
I think it was mistake to just out right call them the designated good guys, because they are the closes to good guys in the setting but that doesn't mean they're great at it
>There is literally nobody TO fight
Literally not true
>not sure why they even exist in a civilization where everyone has a better standard of living than the wealthy of our world do)
Union is not the only civilization in existence, you've probably been told this multiple times already. Union was founded on earth but by the time it sprang up, there were already independent space colonies that have existed on their own for thousands of years already and developed different cultures. The KTB, the Dune guys, are one of those
Some of the corpos run their own planets where they ignore many of the laws
The space pirates guys live on the outskirts of known space
>>
>>93298315
Met a genuinely good group from /mechm/ thru it. We've been going strong for about 4 years now, with 2 lancer campaigns played to completion.
>>
>>93302188
The writer guys says his biggest mistake is using the word utopia in the book because it really isn't - which people know if they read the book.
>>
>>93302188
So the Union is basically just the UN but spess
>>
File: E6Mzb0gWYAYWLpC.jpg (242 KB, 2048x1536)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>93298315
Among other positives, it was the first RPG I ever ran for randos. And despite recruiting from /tg/, everyone was cool, and worth gaming with
>>
File: 1708839424243585.png (2.69 MB, 2148x864)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB PNG
>>93298315
I really enjoy the 3 level mech classes. I think that adds a HUGE amount of player customization that, while overpowered, is really tight and fun to play.

I GUESS I respect that they handwaved resources and money, but I, personally, wouldn't have done that at all. Also, you never have to use a games default setting, so that parts fine.
>>
>>93302432
worse. Union is the Imperium of Man but neo-liberal.
>>
>>93302188
>Union WANTS to be utopic, but it's very bureaucratic and not everywhere, and it turns a blind eye to a lot of corrupt things in order to not rock the galactic boat. That includes some of its own members that end up being neglected, or accepting the KTB which still has slavery and a very hierarchical structure as a new member state, because they can bring in some resources, and a lot of corrupt corporations
Sounds like the exact kind of managerial anarcho-tyranny hellhole that leftists consider utopian tbqh
>>
>>93302790
that's the definition of the neoliberal empire
>>
>>93301482
I can believe that's what happened. I've seen some wild bans come out of that server. Including:

>Bad vibes
>Asking questions about sec comm
>Suggesting that having fun is more important than game balance
>Making a joke about war crimes
>Puke-reacting a fat-fur fursona
>Having a quote about slavery in bio
>Saying "hello sigmas" in chat
>>
>>93298315
Every faction that isn't just the generic Union is an interesting faction.

KTB are a cool mix of neo-feudalistic and cut-throat kingdoms and merchant republics with a neat history and aesthetic. They have so much you can do with them and they are an infinite fount of plot-threads with noble family politics, the rising middle class, slavery, and a hundred other conflicts.
Harrison Armory is unexpectedly great and suffers from a sort of faction-wide John Walker Effect where John Creighton Harrison is unintentionally the most based man in the universe, who literally died for our sins on live Union-wide TV broadcast because he refused to aid the bloody revolution that overthrew Sec comm. His faction that is both cool and interesting with its system of meritocratic tiers and cut-throat corporate-style policies mixed with its granting of land and noble titles on its worlds for exemplary service. It's shadier dealings add a layer of intrigue that can be explored in many different ways.
Aunic Empire is a fascinating counter-point to Union and Aun itself is a very cool god. As the final big bad the theocratic empire serves to bring out the worst in Union by being an existential and ideological threat. It's pretty neat.
The other different mech manufacturers and mega-corps are fun though none are as well developed or interesting as HA.
Horus is pretty cool and can best be described as what would happen if 4chan new magic existed. Most of the time they don't do much, but every now and then a few of them get to gether and engage in elaborate 4th dimensional shitposting, 3d-printing the access key to a metavault, hacking, brain-jacking, secret cults, random stupid arguments that lead to planetary consequences, and in-jokes that nobody who is still alive understands anymore yet are continually paid homage.
>>
>>93302790
>Sounds like the exact kind of managerial anarcho-tyranny hellhole that leftists consider utopian tbqh
Or you know, the United States saying it stands for freedom or democracy but is(or was) extremely close allies with Saudi Arabia, a theocratic monarchy because .
Union is also wary about gunboat diplomacy because the previous government, Second Commission, was an expansionist empire and got overthrown during a civil war. So it has history it's afraid of repeating. Those SecCom guys fled and later formed Harrison Armories which is basically now a military industrial complex that ThirdCom tries to ignore/use for its own advantage
It's politics, but in space. Don't be a bitch about it.
>>
>>93303036
>Horus is pretty cool and can best be described as what would happen if 4chan new magic existed
4chan 15 years ago maybe. But yeah Horus is based
I've never really caught on with Aunic guys. Do they have like newtype psychic stuff?
>>
>>93303270
Yeah they're leaning hard into the "mental connection to space shit that makes them like magic users" stuff.

The writer got wrapped up by WOTC so a lot of that stuff got put on the backburner. Although apparently non compete stuff will be illegal in a few months in america? So who knows. The gameplay/art guy also has two kids, a thousand other games, and the webcomic to do so it might still be slow.
>>
>>93302839
>Suggesting that having fun is more important than game balance
This one is especially funny since most of the homebrew there is so laughably unbalanced it’s fucking unusable.
>>
>>93298315
Best supherhero skirmisher system on the market.
>>
>>93301550
You won't fool me, Tom!
>>
File: E_QwTcqXsAECLCQ.png (1.06 MB, 900x1214)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>93298315
This game has good aesthetics, I'd argue the involvement of Abbadon's artwork is it's strongest quality for both the package and the setting mystique.

To that end, having run it for a few different people now, I find building encounters and actually playing the wargame part to be draining. Perhaps even unfun. I enjoy it most when we're roleplaying the fiction, describing visuals, talking as characters and storytelling some anime mech shit—stuff that could all be accomplished by playing a pbta like Armor Astir. Moreover, the "narrative system" even with bonds at play is lacking that sphere of gameplay finesse that feels good or intuitive to me. Yet my plays have fun building characters, and I actively enjoy some parts of the setting, so I'll keep playing it and chasing a spark.
>>
>all posts critical of this garbage get deleted
I see
>>
File: FISTO.jpg (142 KB, 927x1200)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
It's a perfectly playable system with decent mech customization that doesn't go full spreadsheet while still providing a wide variety of options.
Anyone who bitches endlessly about the setting are nogame tourists who don't know you can simply use your own world of make believe to explain why you have giant fightan robots running around.
>>
>>93305198
Thread is dead anyway. Were gonna end up with two tards spamming builds straight outta discord soon.
>>
>>93305263
probably has same moderators as the discord too
>>
>>93298655
>>93299807
>>93301028
>>93304843
>>93305234
Is there a way to play a woman-shaped mech that slowly gets fatter and fatter over time?
>>
>>93305282
Sure. Use an Everett chassis. Take custom paintjob. Fluff it however you like.
>>
>>93305198
I'm sure it was the criticism and not the form it took. I'd rather have some actual discussion than an endless stream of one liner bitching, thank you.
>but the community...
Doesn't interest or affect me in any way, talk about the game.
>>
>>93305309
>I'd rather have some actual discussion than an endless stream of one liner bitching, thank you.
You mean you'd only have nothing but praise for this shit, which is conveniently all that's left after the purge. Get over yourself.
>>
>>93305318
>t. Nogame tourist who's never actually played the game
You need to find a better hobby.
>>
>>93305318
You do get that you can criticize something without being a cunt about it, right?
>>
>>93305323
What the fuck is this schizo response?
>>
>>93298315
It makes playing the mechs feel like playing as characters from his webcomic with a mech veneer instead of a buddhist-hindu martial arts veneer. Which is my personal gripe with the system, that it doesn't feel mech-like, but I guess people like it.
>>
>>93305325
You get that silencing any criticism over this specific piece of garbage is suspicious as fuck, don't you? You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>93305328
Exactly what it says on the tin, Timmy. You have never played the game, and are just angry at it because fully automated luxury space communism is a thing that has no actual impact on the players besides background dressing. You'd know that, if you actually played the game.
>>
>>93305334
>fully automated luxury space communism is a thing that has no actual impact on the players besides background dressing
So it does have all that but your only defense is it can be ignored? Rules can be ignored too. That doesn't mean bad rules can't be criticized the same way as bad lore.
>>
>>93305331
Keep going like that m8, hope it works out for you.
>>
>>93305389
>If you believe you have to play a game exactly as it is written in the book, you are either very new to traditional games, or you are just another angry culture warrior like above. Nothing in the rules are effected if you remove the Union. If you don't like the setting, you can simply change it.
That's the same for rules. If you don't like certain rules, you can choose to change or ignore them. Just like you can change or ignore the setting. That doesn't mean rules can't be criticized. It doesn't mean setting can't be criticized. So according to you, what IS open to valid criticism for a game?
>>
>>93305408
Correct, you can change rules, or use alternate ones provided in the books, like how LLs can be replaced by a credit or salvage system to represent a world where industrial 3D printers aren't a thing.
What part of the rules do you dislike? Or is your primary complaint the part of the game that can be removed entirely without having any impact on the game itself?
>>
>>93305419
>Or is your primary complaint the part of the game that can be removed entirely without having any impact on the game itself?
Except according to you, that's every single part of every single game, isn't it? If you disagree, you're a nogames.
>>
>>93305419
Are you retarded?
>>
>>93305429
Yes, you can change anything or everything about a game to suit your desires. That's the great part about playing pen and paper games. You'd know that, if you played games.
>>93305439
Are you? Hoping you aren't alone?
>>
File: not this shit again.png (381 KB, 604x340)
381 KB
381 KB PNG
>>93305419
>>
>>93305452
>Yes, you can change anything or everything about a game to suit your desires. That's the great part about playing pen and paper games. You'd know that, if you played games.
So what possible part of any game is open to valid criticism?
>>
>>93305462
Do you have any complaints or criticism about the game, or just the imaginary world the creators put it in?
>>
>>93305475
>Yes, you can change anything or everything about a game to suit your desires. That's the great part about playing pen and paper games. You'd know that, if you played games.
There you go, I've made your conceited point with your own circular logic for you. You can now kindly fuck off.
>>
>>93305475
NTA but the world is part of the game, fucknugget. It's like saying people don't care about the world that the game is set in when people play Broken Worlds. If you don't like it then you can criticize it. It's not a setting-agnostic system like GURPS.
>>
>>93305498
I don't care about your faggot lover's spat with some other anon. I just think you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>93305282
I will now play your game
>>
>>93305282
White Witch, actually. You fatten up, slim down, fatten up again.
>>
>>93305500
If you played games, you'd know settings are just what the GM uses to pull ideas from to throw conflict at the players, to serve as background dressings to get the players immersed in the game of make believe with rules. I could rip the story from Armored Core 1 and it'd work just fine for a Lancer game.
>>93305501
Cool story bro. Sounds like you need a better hobby.
>>
>>93305532
Sounds like you're mad.
>>
>>93305538
If it makes you feel better to believe that, you are welcome to your delusions.
>>
>>93305546
I don't need to believe when you reply this quickly. Sounds like you need a better hobby, champ.
>>
>>93305551
You do realize there's an automatic refresh system and notification system on this site?
Also, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Still waiting to hear your complaint about the game beyond blue haired lesbians with dicks exist in it.
>>
>>93305569
What part of "I don't care about your faggot lover's spat" are you to retarded to understand?
>>
>>93305576
So you are in a thread dedicated to something you have absolutely no interest in? Man, you really do need to find better hobbies. Plenty of other threads on this board you could be talking about things relevant to your interests. Or other boards, since I'm pretty certain you are just another nogame faggot who saw a Lancer thread and had to go full culture warrior.
>>
>>93305598
Given you act up like this every time, I'm thinking I'll stick to calling you a butthurt retard.
>>
>>93305606
Again, if that makes you feel better about your life, you are welcome to your delusions. I am quite amused by you, and will keep flicking pennies at you to listen to you honk, like the clown you are.
>>
>>93298315
I like how it distinguishes its four main manufacturers design-wise. They feel distinct, yet you can easily guess which manufacturer made what by a glance.
>>
>>93298315
I have to say that Lancer makes me appreciate anime a lot more. All of Lancer feels deeply cringe, like anime fanfiction.
>>
>>93305634
For someone amused you're a very defensive little bitch.
>>
>>93305643
How you interpret my posts is completely out of my control. If that is the tone you will to impart on it, that is your choice. I know my own emotional state, and it is one of condescending amusement at your existence. So keep on honking.
>>
>>93305647
And yet you're still trying to convince everyone else. Play stoic, it's funny.
>>
>>93305655
Nah. Stoicism is the epitome of "no fun allowed" and keeping you honking is very fun. It could all end if you had the capacity to not reply, yet I am certain you are the sort who absolutely must have the last word. So let us bump this thread to it's post limit together.
>>
>>93305642
Anime is unironically too chuddy for the Lancer crowd
>>
>>93305673
You keep replying with your "nah I'm not mad", which is what I find funny. I'd stop if you stopped being funny to prod. But, like you say, you like having the last word. So, to bump limit we go.
>>
>>93305690
Again, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
>>
>>93305697
Damn, you're pathetic.
>>
>>93305282
>woman shaped mech that gets fatter the more you slap her ass

boy have i got a mech to sell you
>>
>>93305702
>NANOMACHINES SON
>>
>>93298315
I really like how Wallflower has that little table for how you got your new mech, where you roll and get a cute little prompt. The SSC one where your mech comes with a fully-stocked coffee machine in the cockpit got a good chuckle.
>>
>>93298315
Despite the fucknugget fanbase, it on occasion has some very sick mech concepts. I really like the Enkidu.
>>
>>93305701
You're the one imitating someone you dislike. But I am not surprised, creativity is something you clearly lack. How typical of you nogame culture warriors. Have this final (you), may it give you the warmth you never found from others.
>>
>>93305772
I'll treasure your meltdown forever.
>>
>>93305772
Ayo you said youre gonna stay here and argue with him till the bump limit. You dont get to run now you bitch.
>>
File: Phantom_Crash.jpg (27 KB, 266x375)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>93305234
i ran a mech tournament setting phantom crash style and it was great, players had a lot of fun.
>>
>>93305795
Works for me, means I can share what I like about Lancer without that little bitch.
>>
>>93301482
As the others have said you are talking out your arse. Ive lurked on it when i was thinking of starting to run the game and i saw the "ban logs" from a moderator called "antifa slut".
>>
>>93305816
I will name seven things that I enjoy about Lancer, to celebrate my victory.
>1
I genuinely think that for baby's first mecha building, Lancer strikes just the right balance. It's simple enough to be easy to pick up, yet has enough so that you can still sit and tinker with a build for ages.
>2
The wide variety of enemy types and how the GM can customize them gives a lot of creative freedom for how they want to run games. It's not perfect, but I like it.
>3
I like how a lot of said customization is more options, not bigger numbers. I would personally prefer a lot more customizability of the nitty-gritty myself, but for what Lancer is this kind of approach clearly works best and is right to be that way.
>4
The four manufacturers are all cool in their own way. I personally prefer Harrison Armory's high-tech amorality and suspect superweapons, because they hit just the right kind of angular high-tech look with practicality compared to the more esoteric SSC and HORUS.
>5
I like how it makes sure to include mission objectives that aren't "kill all baddies", to encourage giving players more tactical objective-based play as opposed to your standard shootout.
>6
As token as they are, I'm glad they actually added a currency-based alternative system to License Levels for if you want a change of pace from just going down your predetermined level path.
>7
Fucking hell it has a devoted goddamn 3rd party scene, I would kill to have even a seventh of it.
>>
>>93305934
You are mentally ill
>>
>>93305982
Probably, yeah.
>>
>>93298315
The art is good. You can kill communists in it if your GM is based.
>>
Every fucking thread.
I hate you, you outrage seekin', rage baintin', no game faggots like no one else.
It's an pen and paper RPG, nothing is set in stone. You can change whatever you want in fluff or crunch or whatever you want. It's not that hard.
I hate how normal discussion is drowned by some (you) farming smegs that derail any talk about this system.
>>
>>93306045
Eh. Game’s alright.
>>
>>93306045
>You can change whatever you want in fluff or crunch or whatever you want.
"The game good if you do all the work yourself." LOL
>>
>>93306056
I think its fair to deliniate issues with the settings and issues with the gameplay rules. Especially in a game that leaves big spaces in the setting so people can go "the campaign takes place in X corner of space fuckoff distance from the rest of the setting".
>>
>>93306054
Toms gameplay work is much better when not paired down by the utopia-as-verb writing of his friend.
>>
>>93306045
It's time to go the fuck back where you came from faggot. Do you really think anyone around here posts like this?

By the way if you weren't a nogames newfag yourself you'd realize that it's perfectly valid on this board to criticize fluff as well as crunch. It's incredible that you're actually trying to pretend it isn't. You faggots put it in your fucking book, it's nobody else's fault it sucks shit.
>>
>>93305706
Ferro-fluid actually
>>
>>93299154
>who to use as villains
The rebels, obviously. They stand in the way of the empire
>>
>>93306046
You are the classic /b/ reject that mistakes not having to filter posts with being an asshole. Good luck in life.
>>
>>93306683
You've never been on /b/ once in your faggot life.
>>
>>93301861
My God, did this guy actually admit he was wrong?
>>
>>93306810
And boy am I glad of that. Was it supposed to be a gotcha?
>>
>>93306875
Yes, and it was. Just not in any way that you understand.
>>
>>93306089
A setting where the only way to have fun is to ignore large swathes of the world is no good setting at all. Consider Warhammer Fantasy; Lustria? There's stories to be made there. The Badlands? Hell yeah, you're running from the Greenskins. Ulthuan? Asur Princes are getting uppity about something. Hell, even something as seemingly drab as "Capital City (Altdorf)" is full of problems you could run into and deal with. Warhammer 40k is the same way. Rokugan is the same way. Most fantasy settings are the same way.

But not LANCER. Whenever the old chestnut of "setting" comes up for LANCER, it's always, "set it far away," or "ignore the lore," or "the setting book is propaganda," or a dozen other excuses that add up to, "most of the setting is unusable, you need to do the work yourself." Which, sure, that's what GMs are ultimately meant to do; come up with a story and set mechanics in place to make it fun, but it's so much harder to craft narratives in LANCER than it is most other settings.
>>
>>93306882
Cool, glad we settled this. Have a good day anon.
>>
>>93306913
Yeah me too, kill yourself faggot and fuck off back to discord.
>>
File: all edge no point.jpg (14 KB, 400x400)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>
>>93305513
>>93305702
I will see if I can convince my group to play this game. At least 2 of them are gunpla nerds so here's crossed fingers to running a game
They'll never know my true motives mwahahahah
>>
>>93298315
Lancer is a great mech system for people who don't like mech systems.
I do actually mean that in a positive way. Most other mech systems get bogged down in spreadsheets, but Lancer stays mostly away from all of that. The downside is that there isn't actually much customisation to be done. You basically just choose a license path and follow it to level 3, then maybe pick up another license for the odd piece that has some synergy
>>
>>93306905
You're right. Lancer is terrible because there's no way to run your own adventure. You can't play as a merc company fighting rebels on some jungle colony world. You can't be the bodyguard of scientists re-discovering ancient tech on an abandoned space station. You can't be a mining crew dealing with a bug infestation under a moon's ocean. You have to be a happy post scarcity hippie that loves progress and only uses hacking for the greater good. The files will literally delete themselves if you dare suggest otherwise.
>>
>>93306666
Not if the Balor has anything to say about that.
>>
File: 75336196_p0_master1200.jpg (799 KB, 858x1200)
799 KB
799 KB JPG
>>93307601
Why not use any other mech setting then? Everything about lancers setting is a detriment to mecha fun, from "there is one totally correct moral government overlord" to "all the mechs are just 3d printed and they can just make as many as they need". There's shockingly little desperation and real conflict left. You just have to be some space bums stealing from the system to have any independence. Turns out "we want our political system to work and be overwhelmingly in control" leaves little room for conflict. It just werks.
>>93305813
Phantom crash is pretty amazing.
>>
>>93307601
This isn't the own you think it is. Your examples just prove their point in that they're completely generic sci-fi plot hooks with no relation to the setting of Lancer.
>>
>>93307752
Mothership also is just generic SF hooks that have no connection to its setting, but its adventures and such rock.
>>
This modern idea that you can only run systems in their base setting is a total cancer.
>>
>>93307752
And this differs from every other sci-fi setting...how?
>>
>>93307931
>You're jedi on your way save civilians from a dark Sith experiment before they're sacrificed
>You're an imperial guardsman fighting on a planet overrun by tyranids
>You're ODSTs hot dropping behind enemy lines to destroy a forerunner artifact

Most sci-fi settings have compelling hooks that define their identity, groups, factions, and characters that you can't find anywhere else. Lancer is only fun if you avoid the central setting and do something generic but with mechs.

You absolutely can do those more generic plots with other sci-fi settings, but you can interact with the main themes, characters, and factions of the setting without feeling like you're petting a cat the wrong way.
>>
>>93307601
>You can't play as a merc company fighting rebels on some jungle colony world. You can't be the bodyguard of scientists re-discovering ancient tech on an abandoned space station. You can't be a mining crew dealing with a bug infestation under a moon's ocean. You have to be a happy post scarcity hippie that loves progress and only uses hacking for the greater good. The files will literally delete themselves if you dare suggest otherwise.
Wow, I can do that with any other setting! What aesthetic does LANCER have that encourages you to play in their setting? At least with Warhammer and L5R they present worlds with aesthetics and histories that enrich campaign-building.
>>
>>93306683
You don't belong here. Continue to cry like the little queer you are because strangers on 4chan said mean things over the product you root for. I'm sure most people are secretly on your side, lol.
>>
File: 1656047446687.jpg (536 KB, 2048x1536)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>93298315
Any good homebrews? I've been thinking about using NPC Squad Kits, and I've been using Suldan and UBRG for some time, they are pretty good.
>>
>>93306045
it's still annoying having to basically invent two-thirds of a sci-fi setting because so much of what's given in the core book is every faction except space pirates being sandbagged because "we want a future full of hope in our game, unlike the horrific grim darkness of Battletech"
>>
>>93309373
>BattleTech
>Get told it's grim darkness
>Look inside
>It's goofy hyper-capitalism and grammar nazi posthumans
I don't get this idea that BattleTech is grim. Human civilization continues to thrive despite the Succession Wars. There's so much war and strife because that's how you make settings you're meant to play in, by offering scenarios where any field can become a battlefield. There is no spooky extragalactic threat that could completely wipe Humanity out, it's basically Game of Thrones with giant robots.
>>
>>93309772
Human civilization in Battletech is a capitalist society, that's basically grimdark to socialists.
>>
>>93306905
Could you elaborate on what parts of the setting you would have to ignore to enjoy it? None of the modules are set in the part of the galaxy where everything is nice because you wouldn't have a story there. The books are "outer rim space station dealing with pirates" "alternate feudal slave government with rebel colonies" and "planet left after a failed genocide attempt against an aliens" etc
>>
>>93310507
Oh shut up, accept people don't like the setting and struggle to get invested in it. This mealy-mouthed attempt at dissembling the reason for a “gotcha” solves nothing but prove you’re more interested in “owning the haters” than presenting how the setting is compelling.
>>
>>93310031
And majority of people everywhere
>>
>>93310507
>Could you elaborate on what parts of the setting you would have to ignore to enjoy it?
Nine times out of ten it's literally just Union and "OMG THEY'RE FUCKIGN COMMIES" and that's the majority of people's problem with the setting, they immediately stop reading and every single thread a guy walks in pretending Union is the only civilization in the setting. And then has to be explained again about everyone else and, you know, the fucking guys who make your mechs. It's just dishonest fucks.
>>
>>93306905
>A setting where the only way to have fun is to ignore large swathes of the world
What large swathes? The KTB have their own book for space feudalism, the Long Rim has one if you want more grimey Cowboy Bebop with mechs stuff, there's a whole book for space ship combat that takes place during a war a few years after the RPG's canon date, the books give you so much shit to work with involving all the corporations and the shit they're involved with like HA's militarism or SSC eugenic planets, all the planets even withing Union with their own political fuckery
Literally what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>93311625
I'm not following you honestly, I have no knowledge of the setting but the way you guys talk about it it looks like there's some complaining you can't enjoy a wild west game because there are urban centers in Europe or something.
>>
File: Nicholas_Kerensky_BTL.jpg (77 KB, 485x687)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Why did he do it?
>>
>>93311710
Nta but as a GM looking make a game in a specific setting I do require at least some sort of lore to build off of. The Union is mostly just a space paradise devoid of anything that could be easily used for an adventure. That leaves me the rest of the galaxy to work with but.... there's little to no lore to work with so id have to completely invent it. If I'm going to have to do that, why am I using the setting at all?
Your wild west analogy dosen't work because the wild west has lots of known "lore" that can be easily adapted to any form of adventure.
>>
>>93312048
You're arguing with >>93311497 who is acting like a "fresh face" because he recognizes people weren't buying the previous approach. Just ignore him, anon. These arguments have been made a dozen times before and it always results in the same frustrated conclusions.
>>
>>93312048
>why am I using the setting at all?
Can't you use some factions and put them in some form where you are having your game? I mean, you chart a region of space and then you put people there, and the base for what people there is can be the factions as fleshed out in the setting, can't they? I usually either write my stuff from scratch or put the players outside of th more defined regions in the setting, so that's kind of the default for me.
>>
>>93312106
I'm >>93311710 and I'm not that guy anon.
>>
>>93312125
nta, but what you describe is fine, and it's not a bad way to do things as a GM, but there should be more options. The setting should have more to latch on to and actually chew on.

However the argument to just put the various factions in your own homebrew region of space doesn't work nearly as well as it does in other settings because Union's disposition means that if it is around in the region then there's only two sides you can ever be on, you're either working for Union and are part of the solution, or you are part of the problem, and if you're part of the problem then it is only a matter of time until you'll be removed. They made a setting where you have to keep the primary faction of the setting with the majority of the lore as far away from your own little corner of things as possible or else they ruin all the conflicts.
>>
>>93312250
>but there should be more options
A reasonable take I suppose.
>then there's only two sides you can ever be on
Would this Union employ the PCs as deniable assets? Or are you forced to be a part of the Union? Either could work, but the notion that you could be on the other side and being forced to quickly do your job and fuck off does sound like a good way to keep PCs on their toes. What's the problem with the Union? Do they show up with OP mechs or something?
>>
>>93312316
The big problem with them is that they just kinda limit the stories you can tell, they're a big blob you have to tap-dance around.
>>
>>93312342
Like a big house if you play a merc in battletech?
>>
>>93312368
Worse because there are no other big houses to play them off of.
>>
>>93312617
I see how that might not be up everyone's alley. Thanks anon.
>>
Anybody ever run a campaign about Liberty Prime fighting all the commie mechs?
>>
>>93312048
>The Union is mostly just a space paradise devoid of anything
We've been over this shit multiple times already, you're just being dense. The main supplements include shit like abandoned planes or ones with their own internal turmoil. You could do shit with the corpos acting like their own rogue states
You're just lacking imagination at this point, or you just don't want to engage with the lore so the game is just not for you
>>
>>93312106
That post was my first reply to that guy. You need to stop pretending like you're some kind of mod who controls conversations here
>>
>>93299154
>It's fanbase is somehow even more mentally ill than DnD's fanbase
what did you expect? The art it self is tumblr born shit. It attract it kind
>>
>>93313308
> The art it self is tumblr born shit.
The artist actually comes from here, oddly enough

>>93312048
I'm really not sure what part of the book people are reading that suggests the union paraside is a substantial part of the galaxy.
Its clearly established that only the core worlds are actually future-star-trek style peace, once you get beyond that little part of the galaxy it becomes total anarchy with the only government powers being the feudal KTB and private companies.
Even then, base book union is controlled by a secret group of omnipotant super computers that predict the future and the Union has to keep tabs on becaue the last time something fucked up it created an all powerful machine god that forced the entire galaxy to submit to its rules about no trying to defeat death.
>>
>>93313308
>what did you expect? The art it self is tumblr born shit. It attract it kind

>Game went from, "everyone needs to be black, fat, and a woman" to modern LANCER where more people are white, sometimes male and even attractive
>>
>>93312998
didn't Liberty Prime kill the last remnants of capitalist America's government/military with lasers when you activated him in 3
>>
>>93301690
>ban log
someone, go the fuck on there and post screen shots, FCS.
Prove what the fuckers are saying.
>>
>>93303351
There's that one hotep guy who makes African mechs that could solo several base game ones. But nobody is allowed to tell.him this because He's Black
>>
>>93314134
When I asked about his one offical module, some people claimed the power levels of the Empakaai alt-frame was dialled back a lot.
>>
>>93314202
You can do some pretty crazy shit with the regular Blackbeard. Is the Empakaai really significantly better? I haven't looked at it in-depth.
>>
>>93307601
Or I can do that all in Battletech but have actual characters and factions I can use for them that I don't need to make myself.
>>
>>93314287
Your fanfic would probably better than the Battletech setting.
>>
>>93312001
the man fought the most destructive war the world had ever seen and just got tired of it all. Understandable. His son was the big schizo retard who ruined everything. It illustrates the flaws of hereditary monarchy.
>>
>>93314244

The empakaai got "nerfed" 4 or 5 times before the version that made it to print was produced. It used to be laughably powerful

>t. person who has been running a lancer game and is getting fucking sick of lancer
>>
>>93314312
To be fair, his son went schizo because he got a brain fever that cooked his frontal lobe a good bit.
>>
Does anyone have a PDF of the new rulebook to download? I ain't supporting them unless I like the quality of it.
>>
>>93298315
The way they integrate spooky mystical stuff with incomprehensible technology is cool as hell, and I love the way they seem to have properly thought about what a relatively post scarcity future would look like.
Shame the game is basically just a tactical wargame which doesn't take advantage of the lore at all.
>>
>>93309136
There's the Filipino one
>>
>>93308124
>>93307742
>You're part of a first contact group of Third Comm that got shot down by hostile humans and now you're having to salvage your ship back together and acquire resources to repair your mechs back up to full strength as the crash limited what you can print yourself
>You're a group of mercenaries contracted by one of the Megacorps to bring a planet back into line
>You're a group of rebels against the space commie government
Jesus, are you that fucking stupid you can't find your own space in a rather generic science fiction setting?
>>93311625
>Union has solved everything!
>Except it hasn't and is dealing with internal issues related to the last authoritarian regime
>Also the post scarcity environment is limited as fuck to the immediate space around Earth
>Very specifically mentioned that while they're striving for utopia it isn't exactly working out 100% of the time
Oh wow you're actually fucking retarded.
>>93316363
I don't but my friend did get the print version of the core book. Very pretty, very high quality.
>>
>>93317471
>rather generic science fiction setting
Even as you try to pull a gotcha you accidentally let slip the core fucking problem.
Third Comm is fucking BORING and the setting is too generic. In all the examples listed previous, each of those factions has buckets of character and themes and conflicts to get invested in, but they best you can do aside from being Third Comm is "a megacorp," and "a group of rebels." In other words, I should make my own setting.

>Oh wow you're actually fucking retarded.
Solved or in the process of being solved, cunt. Utopian Pillars are stupid and post scarcity is cringe to begin with. They should never have used the word Utopia in their rulebook to begin with. The only interesting element of Union is said last authoritarian regime and it is never once framed in any of the lore like those last gasps have any hope of winning, just making trouble until they're snuffed out or integrated.

Your just coping that the setting you like is fucking boring and the only way to fix it at this point is to either ignore the part that's boring and make your own shit off to the side or break it, and the fanbase can't countenance breaking it because its their utopia that agrees with their ideology and they can't let it fail even in a fictional setting.
>>
>>93309772
>it's basically Game of Thrones with giant robots
that's why these fucking clowns consider Battletech "grimdark"
>>
>>93320884
It's nowhere near as stupidly edgy as GoT either. It was never supposed to be some kind of shock porn. Just a bunch of half naked space knights fighting each other with big robots with tanks and all that in the background.
>>
>>93317471

Did it fix the shitload of typos in the section for building enemies or do we still have e.g. NPCs whose stats go down as the difficulty of the game goes up?
>>
>>93298315
I appreciate it for how it keeps 'Those people' contained within certain quarantine zones and away from the rest of us.
>>
I appreciate the humor of calling the game a "mud and lasers" RPG when basic player tools include disappearing into black holes and shit.
>>
>>93318277
>just making trouble until they're snuffed out or integrated
Never forget, anon. you're supposed to play a blue helmet glowie in this systen.
>>
Lancer's so bad its' creator's influence poisoned K6BD, ruining it too.

>>93320884
>pop culture reference!
it steals obviously from a lot of sources but that's not one. How do you fuck up so bad?
>Baronies
Dune
>paracausality
NGE
>insect aliens man regrets genociding
Ender's Game
>core worlds
Battletech
>>
>>93322361
>Harrison Armory
Starship Troopers
>SSC
Anime, now with extra feet
>IPS-N
Weylan-Yutani
>>
>>93322313
This whole thing meshes together with everything else really poorly. You can either lob some lmao paracausal blackhole fireball or just fire bog standard gun or punch and deal more damage that way.
They really wanted an ultimate kitchensink of everything at all the time all the time and it just doesn't work when you try to be both kinda hard sci fi with lmao time dilation and whatnot and then everything actually relies on lmao paracausal lmao magic.
>>
>>93322413

in that regard it's a lot like evangelion where pretentious idiots treat it like a genre deconstruction when it's really just a ham-fisted attempt to stuff all of its inspirations in one place that winds up being less than the sum of its parts because the people in charge don't understand what makes those things good in the first place
>>
>>93322413
>>93322313
>We want to make a world where it feels like you're accomplishing something. Where you're saving the world, hurting the fascists. A setting that is more like Star Trek than Warhammer.

>First official module is an extremely depressing exploration of the Egregorian genocide featuring impoverished, mud-drenched cities and an ancient robotic threat that largely succeeds in launching a second genocide on the planet, where even if you successfully stop Bandit One than the world is going to endure a nuclear winter from Hivehome's destruction
>And then the second mission for that module was supposed to make the Bugs into Muslims and the main enemy an explicit Christian theocracy
>>
>>93322540
>Everyone is gay and comes from the tubes
They probably made colonization based on seedships because they wanted to avoid the "icky" subject of colonialism. If everyone on a planet was "grown" there and raised by robots, than it doesn't count as colonialism... Right?

And it's surely not colonialism if Union shows up and asks you to become part of their polity, and if you refuse you're infiltrated by Administrators who are custom-bred to learn how your world works, settle into it, and slowly guide it towards being more "amenable" to Union.
>>
>>93322567
Union literally wouldn't work without some Borg hive mind. You're sending people into space. Knowing well that they won't even see the Union proper and you expect them to somehow keep loyalty to it rather than some local polity.
Union barely has a proper fleet. It relies on Diasporas commanded by Union breed admirals which makes fuck all sense. You'd have people that are loyal to the Democratic Republic of George Floyd the Tenth rather than some bizzare political entity that won't do a single thing during their lifetime.
>>
>>93322617
>You'd have people that are loyal to the Democratic Republic of George Floyd the Tenth rather than some bizzare political entity that won't do a single thing during their lifetime
Nah, that part actually makes a little sense. Union fleets are always based around Blinkgates which reduce light-years to seconds, and they have a lot of Blinkgates built around the Core Worlds. Anything more than 5 light-years out is going to get a little dodgy to administrate.
>>
>>93318277
>Two examples that are literally something it takes five seconds to come up with means it’s bad and there’s not enough options also it’s too generic anyway despite me wanting very specific ideas
Jesus Fucking Christ you’re a real insufferable cunt aren’t you?
>>
>>93322651
And no, I'm not defending LANCER because I secretly think it's good. I'm of the opinion that criticism of a setting should be levied where there's glaring weaknesses which can't be readily handwaved away. My issue with LANCER isn't that it "doesn't make sense." There's quite a bit of effort put into explaining how the world works and the limitations of the technology therein. My issue with LANCER is that it's fucking gay as hell and focuses more on making a world where things tend to work out, rather than a world where things are fucked and need people to put out the fires.

Good example? Blinkgates versus Warp Drives. Blinkgates are described as safe and effective (heh) power projection installations which serve as the nexus upon which Union power is placed. I've never seen it presented as them being somehow controversial, difficult to operate or even vulnerable to attack. You get one built, and now everything within 10-100 ly is part of Union. Meanwhile Warp Fields are presented as faulty, befuddling technologies which frequently fail, or their secondary support systems (such as Gellar Fields) can flicker and allow gnashing horrors into your ship. Warp travel is dangerous in Warhammer, and because of that there's an infinite number of scenarios you can conjure where something as simple as, "your warp drive failed" can make for a compelling scenario.

What's there to write about with a Blinkgate? Certainly, I can see you making an argument on terrorists wanting to destroy it, or false-flaggers wanting to destroy it, but that folds into the overarching complaint about LANCER where the only real enemies you can fight are Space Iran, Fascist Strawmen or generic space goons.
>>
>>93322691
No you're just retarded and malding and your only recourse is misrepresenting people so you can defend your gay and lame setting where nothing interesting ever happens.

If I ever actually use the Lancer setting first thing I'm going to do is have Union collapse. Maybe Fourth Comm will be more interesting.

>>93322733 gets it.
>>
>>93322567
If you want to make stuff up do it elsewhere, the harrison armoury explicitly colonises other planets - and are responsible for almost wiping out the only non-human civ because of it - this is the plot of the biggest module they have not pushed off to the side.

The main org that clones people for colonisation are eugenecists who find 'perfect dna' from random backwaters and pay people to use their genes for colonial projects.

>>93322733
While you aren't wrong for saying Blink Gates are a generally safe option - I'm not sure why a setting would need everything to be a possibly deadly source of conflict. Plus blink gates being discovered is what lead to people finding out about paracausal tech so while the gates themselves are generally safe their existance clearly 'broke' something in the universe and unleashed all the crazy not-magic-tech.
>>
>>93322756
Isn't the main thing with the setting is that union is barely working and outside the main worlds around earth their power is weak at best?
Like a lot of the suggested missions revolve around how fragile Union is and that if it does collapse things turn into complete anarchy without any sort of baseline un-shittiness to reign in the competing powers. That feels like a very explorable setting with "we want to hold back the collapse of Union III" and "The union is failing, lets collapse it faster" as easy goals.
>>
>>93322790
Thing is nothing much changes because the second the Union dies HA or any other corp or not Dune or Aunics take it's place immediately.
Game was rigged from the start and only one faction has the divine paracasual mandate of paracausal gods so the Union is here to stay and the biggest differences between the factions are aesthetics.
You get the same paracausal printers and paracausal God Kings anyway. Just some kings are more kosher in the eyes of the ultimate paracausal Gods.
Nothing you will or could do can possibly matter.
>>
>>93298315
Top 3 favorite RPGs for combat. The rping aspect is terrible so I replace it with something else, but hot damn aren't those combats fun, and comp/con is hands down the best RP tool i've ever used and I've come to fucking HATE almost every other tool I use. I wish I knew how to program so that I could make my own for other systems.
>>
Dang I wanna flip through the book but I don't want to buy it yet. Hope someone uploads a scan soon.
>>
to be honest, the only reason this game isn't (more) dead is because of comp/con
>>
>>93323007
All the player-facing rules (so just not NPCs and such) are all entirely free, and COMP/Con has all the player facing stuff as well.

>>93323236
Even as someone who likes the game, without Comp/Con it would already be dead yeah - it makes it more approachable for a general audience (since the super autists would play something crunchier).
>>
I have not played - do pilots matter in this game? Are the differentiated? I.E., if 2 players have to swap mechs, would they drive them differently?
>>
>>93323321
pilots have different talents; someone specialized in being a Duelist (representing a pilot's skill in wielding a mech's melee weaponry) would not do so well in a Death's Head (a frame focused on sniping).
>>
>>93323321
Depends on a few factors. Your pilot has skills and abilities that transfer across all mechs and all have separate niches. I'd say the frame and extra licenses for weapons matter more than those for effectiveness but they don't mean nothing either. So a pilot who's specced into long range support being shoved into a melee mech would have different options available from the person who minmaxes the blender into just better melee tech.
>>
>>93323007
There's a free pdf on the massif itch.io page -
while it does not have the GM section with NPCs and such, it does have all the player-facing stuff.

Are we allowed to post weblinks here?
>>
>>93323007
The content for players is free. Also, most of the content is available if you go to the pdf thread.
>>
Like the setting a lot. Hate the system almost as much. The art is mixed. Some of it amazing but a decent amount are fugly. Overall, it's an interesting game but I don't plan on ever using it.
>>
>>93323321
Yes. Mech Talents specialize and give bonus on certain builds. Two pilots changing mechs would be a lot less effective.
>>
>>93322841
>so I replace it with something else
what do you use? my group is thinking of giving it a try.
>>
>>93298315
I bought the corebook and its still in its original shrinkwrap. I feel like I bought a video phone in the 90's and am waiting for someone I know to buy a compatible version so I can receive a call.
>>
>>93324394
Traveller is what I’d advise, at least as a baseline. Sure it’s 2d6 but it’s got enough info and variation to work out well
>>
>>93298315
It may not be the type of game that suits me, but there are people for whom it is and I'm glad they have it.
>>
>>93323433
>Like the setting a lot. Hate the system
This is very weird to see someone with the exact opposite opinion to almost every other actual lancer player on the board
>>
>>93298315
It killed Battle Century G because the dev refused to pander to his based fans
>>
>>93323358
>>93323363
>>93323467
Thank you all for the answers. I appreciate it :)
>>
>>93302839
>So. If you show up to pilot net and drop a "hello sigmas" in your first 20 messages on the server, we're gonna notice. if we then look at your bio and your pronouns are just you telling people to kill themselves, we're gonna lean forward in our chairs.

Not the only reason but still retarded.
>>
>>93324394
I use Seapunk Unleashed. It's a spanish ttrpg, meant to be used to play one-piece, but the base system is simple and elegant and works great for simple roleplaying.
>>
>>93322361
>>93322384
Dune and Starship Troopers have influenced almost literally every piece of sci-fi since each other their publications, including almost every other mecha. Dune influenced Battletech, Starship Troopers influenced the look of the original Gundam. And I don't see a problem with that at all
>>core worlds
>Battletech
More like the federation from Star Trek
>>
>>93322790
>Isn't the main thing with the setting is that union is barely working and outside the main worlds around earth their power is weak at best?
It's been said a million times before but you still get retards coming in every thread with the assumption that Union is the only civilization in the game, and then when they realized it isn't they pull out some new complaint about how all the corporations and opposing states make the setting "confusing" or "schizophrenic" or some shit
Unions isn't everywhere, in some planets Union's only influence is literally a single guy in a building doing paperwork or something like that, this includes populated independent planets

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.