[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 510Wo+tSctL.jpg (39 KB, 500x413)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Z Shorty Edition
>>
>Your dream layout is finally setup.

What kind of train are you running first anon?
>>
>>11004613
Custom built Z gauge SAR Class 26 Red Devil, with appropriate rolling stock.
>>
>>11004613
Well, considering that my "dream layout" would be the Albany-Syracuse stretch of the NYC's Water Level Route, I'd probably inaugurate the layout with a 20th Century Limited express run heading west to "Chicago".
>>
File: Southampton_08.jpg (569 KB, 1024x775)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>>11004733
Excellent choice anon
>>11004831
That'd make for some good sights anon
>>
>>11004307
Should I join the club for Trix?
>>
File: IMG_7683.jpg (585 KB, 1290x2796)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
Anybody else order any of the new Home Shops high cubes? I got the Michigan Interstate and the MDRail car
>>
Also, super tempted to bid on this. The V&O was such a huge inspiration for me to get into freelanced model railroading and I already have a good collection of V&O equipment, itd be really cool to have an actual Allen McClelland engine in my collection
>>
>>11009583
If you do it and win, I will attend $100 on modeling and train stuff to celebrate.
>>
>>11009582
I haven't, but I think we'd all appreciate a pic or two anon
>>11009583
If you can afford it then you should go for it! If nothing else, just to help out this anon >>11009768

Now that I think about it, would it be beneficial to design a sticky for the threads to help anons get into the hobby? Maybe a few links to helpful resources to identify what scale is likely to be right for them, considerations when it comes to model brands etc.
>>
>>11009583
>$400 for a dirty loco
shiggy anon
>>
>>11009830
Unfortunately theyre not shipping until mid june so havent gotten them yet, but im super excited for them to show up. A sticky would be good, theres plenty of good yootoob channels to help out with about every facet of the hobby
>>
>>11010281
Its called weathering you catamite
>>
>>11009768
Will, as per >>11009830 no one brand is great and good brands friend on their gauges, generally speaking, the Märklin conglomerate is pretty good in general, but also Fleischmann, Roco, Dapol, Rivarossi and Hornby are all decent, though Hornby has gone downhill since a couple of years ago.
>>
What do I use to plan my layout? I impulse bought 60 feet of atlas code 83 flex track because it was half off
>>
>>11011670
SCARM or AnyRail are good CAD programs to use. Theres alot of good tutorial videos on jew tube
>>
>>11011050
Ah, there's nothing worse than having to wait weeks for models.
>>11011670
Seconding SCARM. It's free and after a little trial and error it's not too tricky to use. I still think there's nothing better than physically laying track in a temporary manner just because it's easier to visualise the end result. What kind of layout are you thinking of creating anon?
>>
anyone have any experience with these Rivarossi PRR cars? or Rivarossi stuff in general? whats the quality like? they don't LOOK awful but they seem priced cheap. I wanna start collecting Northeast Corridor stuff in HO particularly old electric stuff. I just moved into a new place and will have access to a whole basement soon.
>>
>>11012796
also, for sake of discussion, whats that one loco you know'll never get a model?

>tfw no gm10b chunky boi
>>
>>11012805
Shinkansen series 911.

Also, about "putting my mony where my mouth is", as one anon once said. How do I do it?
>>
>>11012805
GE Arrow. Love these little guys.
>>
>>11012788
>Seconding SCARM. It's free and after a little trial and error it's not too tricky to use.
It used to be free 10 years ago. Current versions of SCARM only allow you to place a certain number of track before it wants to charge you to buy their software so you are screwed unless you are planning a small, table top layout. The only way around it is to find older versions of SCARM. I just said fuck it and bought AnyRail, a better product anyway.
>>
>>11012796
They are underweight, plastic wheels, and crappy X2F horn-hook couplers. I wouldn't spend more than $10 a piece for them unless they have been upgraded with Kadees, metal wheels, or have weight added to them. Be prepared for modifications if you want reliable action from them. Otherwise they are a good budget model vs. what Walthers, MTH, and Rapido charges but they are ready to go out of the box so you get what you pay for.
>>
Thoughts on Roco train sets. Are they better than the ones offered by Piko?
>>
Finally made it out to the club and got to run my V&O and WM GEVOs. The WM ive had for years and today was the first time I ran it. Feelsgoodman
>>
>>11015525
>>
>>11015525
>>11015535
got any more pics of the layout?
>>
>>11015894
I dont available, but its the Lansing model railroad club in lansing michigan. I know theres youtube videos and pics out there. Its a neat club. Its in the old GTW Millet Depot
>>
>>11014995
I wasn't aware it was now a paid for service, but thanks for the info anon.
>>11012796
I don't have any experience with that exact model but personally I've always found Rivarossi to be very inconsistent. Some of their models are very good value but others can be absolutely atrocious. If they're reasonably priced and you feel lucky, you could go for it but if you have the option to see them in person first I would always advise that.
>>11012805
A really difficult question to answer. I love all the wide variety of types that existed in the British pre-grouping era, so I'll say a Kirtley T class. The pics I have don't seem to want to send, so posting a random one instead.
>>11015525
Neat pics anon. If you take any more you should definitely post them. Do you have your own layout as well?
>>
>>11016711
No layout yet because still a rent cuck. When I buuld the house ill have an 18x30 foot basement that will have 2 levels and a visible connection between the 2 modeling from Grand Rapids to Baldwin Michigan. It will be the old Pennsylvania line from GR to Cedar Springs where it will take the old Grand Trunk line west to Sparta, and then go north to Baldwin on the current Marquette Rail trackage. The railroad will be called the Western Michigan Railway
>>
>>11012796
I have a few in worse condition than picrel, and they live on a shelf.
The horn-hooks are a deal breaker for me, especially because those are truck coupler mounts not body, so converting them is ass.
If they're at the right price, or you already run horn hooks, they're fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.
>>
what precautions do i need to take if i use a Lionel AC1803000 transformer on fastrack? its 77watts and 18vac. don't want to blow up a lionchief locomotive.
>>
>>11023705
None. That's a fine transformer for a single locomotive, maybe a little underpowered if anything.
>18 VAC
That's what Lionchief takes, except internally it's DC after a rectifier.
>77 watts
Probably closer to 50 RMS in reality, which is fine for a single engine.
t. run multiple Lionchiefs on an MTH Z-1000, no issues for a year
>>
>>11015458
Bumping this question.
>>
File: Small Beau.jpg (424 KB, 2048x1536)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
He's so small.
>>
>>11024811
neat

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.