[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1526598557813.jpg (113 KB, 768x768)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
What's the friendliest country and/or city you've ever been to?
>>
>>1431365
Probably Paraguay.
>Family stopped in the middle of the road and offered to take me to the place I was looking for
>Football fans in the stadium invited me to go drinking and paid for all my beers
>Asked a woman in the streets if she knows where we can eat typical stuff from Asuncion, she said if we want she can make us some meat and soup
>>
>>1431372
I was gonna say Italy, but this reminded me of my stay in Uruguay.

So I say Uruguay.

Generally, poorer countries seem to first and foremost develop a tradition of looking out for each other. They also develop a complex that make them more likely to look favourably on tourists as they feel humbled that anyone would want to visit their home.

Paraguay is much poorer than Uruguay tho, so the people there are probably even friendlier
>>
Taiwan
Italy

I think that's it.

In both places it was just tons of genuinely friendly, chatty, open people, always up for a random conversation.
>>
I'm not well travelled, but for me it's Albania.

Very kind people and tremendous hospitality.
>>
Israel (Tel Aviv but especially Haifa)
Calcutta (aka Kolkata)
Charleston, SC
>>
>>1431372
Chile and Argentina for me. Peru not far behind. this anecdote makes me wanna visit Paraguay too tho
>>
I'd say Colombia.
I stayed in some very homely guesthouses, and the owners were always eager to have conversations, make me coffee, and even share their food and liquor. One family I stayed with took me to the beach, showed me around town, and lent me a phone when I lost mine. Incredible hospitality all around, and strangers were always helpful and friendly too.

Judging by the other responses it's a common theme in South America.
>>
Kosovo. Macedonia as a runner-up.

Honorable mentions to Serbia, Albania and Romania.
>>
>>1431523
colombia seems pretty dope thats where im looking to go next

any standout recommendations over than....eje de cafe. valle de cocoa, cartagena, cali, medellin and bogota?
>>
>>1431365
Toronto. I was purposely smashing into people everywhere I went and every time they said sorry LMAO
>>
>>1431534
I loved Cartagena. I stayed for over a week and was never bored.
Medellin is cool, and if you're there I highly recommend at least a day trip to Guatape.
Bogota I only passed through on my way to Neiva and the Tatacoa Desert, which is a neat experience if you have the time.

I didn't get to see everything I wanted, but those were my standouts. I'll be going back someday.
>>
File: IMG_20171121_131440.jpg (2.12 MB, 2240x3968)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>1431365
Taïwan is numbah one ! Friendly people everywhere (if you except bus driver !)
>>
>>1431594

All the bus drivers in Taiwan drive like they're out to commit vehicular manslaughter

But yes, I agree. Taiwan number one
>>
>>1431534
Go stay in Minca. A couple of really incredible hostels there. Probably my favorite place in Colombia I've been. Not really a bird watcher, but it had some of the coolest bird life I'd ever been around.
>>
>>1431594
How tough is it going there with English?
>>
>>1431501
>Israel
Dude what. There's many things you can say about Israel but "friendly people" is like the last thing that comes to anyone's mind.
>>
>>1431696
Yeah, but it is so true in my case. I travel there once a quarter on business and it is weird how friendly people are to me. Israelis think I'm Israeli and speak Hebrew to me. Arabs think I'm Arab.
>>
Glasgow hands down, as well as the rural parts of morocco
>>
Taiwan
>>
Jordan
I am from New Zealand and I thought we were friendly
These guys were very welcoming, always offering to help without being asked, or just for a chat.

Absolutely loved it
>>
>>1431365
Monticchiello, Italy - I swear by the second night every one in town acted like knew me and was treating me like i lived there my entire life. really just the nicest people in the world. i cannot recommend this town enough. it really is something else.
Breckenridge, CO - everyone is just "hyped on the stoke breh" really friendly.
Martha's Vineyard, MA - boats, beaches, good food-- hard for anyone to complain
>>
>>1431696
>>1431698

i don't know if its the sun or the stress but Israelis are emotional roller coasters of human beings. a LOT like Greeks. if they love you they LOVE you... and if they dont, you will know. i can see the split opinion.
>>
File: IMG_20171119_181426.jpg (1.97 MB, 2240x3968)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>1431620
It's not !
Spent 4 weeks there just with english only knew 2 words for hello and thx and its was a wonderful trip.
In the metro and transport, it's translated into English

>>1431604
And sometimes they're act like autist but I figured they're squeeze like lemon to keep pace sometimes on 2 hour itineraries
>>
>>1432260
>only knew 2 words for hello and thx
I mean in Mandarin
>>
>>1431708
Rural Morocco is awesome.
>>
People in Slovenia are pretty nice, the owners of the hostel i was staying at in Ljubljana went over and beyond for me when I was staying there.
>>
>>1431365
Nicest: Kansas City. The genuinely nicest people you will ever meet.

Meanest: Baltimore. Basketball Americans and east coast old money ruined this city.
>>
>>1431365

I dont have a particular country. But generally, people who live up in the mountains or near snow or ski slopes/resorts are the nicest people ever.

There is something about the people that live or vacation in the mountains, they are so nice and fun to be around.

The beach and cities attract some of the best...and definitely the worst.
>>
When I lived in San Diego, California for a semester I was greeted by everyone from the homeless to random people in cars. For a guy from north Europe this was unfamiliar
>>
Another one for Taiwan
>>
>>1431365
braunau
>>
>>1432290
What was the name of the hostel? Looking to go there soon
>>
>>1431365
Artsakh
>>
>>1431501
>Charleston, sc
I'm glad you felt that way
>>
Japan or Panama

I'd probably give the edge to Panama tho, considering how often I thought I was about to be ripped off and it turned out that somebody was just being friendly
>>
Haven't been to too many places, but Indonesia (Java) was great. People inviting me into their houses for tea, younger people speaking decent english. No scams (except for taxi drivers).
>>
>>1431365
I found Portugal to be a very friendly place, maybe it was because I was in larger cities like Porto and Lisboa but I thought that everyone was very nice, spoke decent English (a guy I met in a ginja shop in Lisboa could even do a near perfect Southern accent), and were very open to very happy to show you their culture. Portugal in general I think is underrated as hell.
>>
>>1432921
Sarcasm?
>>
This will sound crazy, but the french were the nicest. There are scammers of course, but every normal person I interacted with talked to me in English with a smile. More than once I'd go to museums/touristy things and they'd sell me the half-price kids entry tickets instead of the adult ones (I'm 27).

All the places I've been to in Asia are nice too, and really the only rude country I've been to is America. It feels like everyone has just given up on life and they're intent on bringing everyone down with them.
>>
>>1431365
Sicily. Treated like royalty by everyone working in bars, restaurants and hotels and chatted with a bunch of locals who were delighted to see someone visiting.
>>
>>1433623
No, that's my state and I'm happy people were friendly. I'd be disappointed if they weren't
>>
>>1431708
Glasgow is shit and I live there.
>>
>>1431527
Just got back from Macedonia.
Can agree 100%. Met a lot of extremely friendly people there.
>>
>>1431365
>What's the friendliest country and/or city you've ever been to?
I know people around here like to think of Thailand as the land of scams, deranged prostitutes, and their murderous husbands, among other nice things, but Northeastern Thailand has treated me really well for decades, both in the cities and especially in rural areas. No scams, few sexpats (not all that many expats in general), very few tourists, and a lot of genuine openness and friendliness.

If I had to name a specific ultra-friendly village, I'll mention Tha Khantho, Kalasin province, where a friend of mine used to work, only coming back to his home city, where I lived (Khon Kaen) on weekends. He brought me and a friend to visit, and we were given tours of local silkweavers' homes, and dinner (and a ferocious number of drinks--he sent one of his sons out on a motorbike to get another case of beer and bottle of local rotgut) with the district headman. He tried to get us to stay over, but we had places to be.

The rural North is similar--by the time you're an hour outside of Chiang Mai you might as well be in another country. People really are as nice as the country's reputation.

My experience may be a bit rose-colored by the fact that I speak Thai, but people in Thailand are always really nice to me, and I've never been ripped off that I know of.
>>
>>1433638
You need to be more specific, Taormina is a vastly different place than Catania or Lipari for instance
>>
This might sound weird but no joke: New York. Just got back and it might be the juxtaposition between what I was expecting and what I experienced, but I ran into so many friendly New Yorkers.
>>
Opening a can of worms here, but for me it was Pakistan. Invited to people's homes. Had my restaurant bill paid by strangers more than once. Probably one of the best places to be if you find yourself in bumfuck nowhere without a dime in your pocket.

Other people (like c90adventures for example) seem to think that Iran is the ultimate bro-tier place. Haven't been there yet so I can't judge.
>>
Philippines
Taiwan
Indonesia
Japan
Iran
>>
>>1434211
>Opening a can of worms here, but for me it was Pakistan.
Agreed that the hospitable people in Pakistan are among the most hospitable and gracious people I have ever met anywhere. Pity about the not-so-hospitable people, though.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.