[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1494749841278.jpg (11 KB, 328x277)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Guys I got the chance to move to USA september the 1st, as a start I'll be in GA living and working. I know it's alot different than what I'm used to here in europe(bulgaria)
>sales tax
>not using metric
>different vacation days
>portion sizes
>etc.
But so far from people I know that have been there and different videos on people that have visited USA none say hows the social life, I mean half the time most contradict the others
>people are cold
>no they are helpful and kind
>vulgar
>no they rarely even swear
and so on, can any anon give me an overview on things and some general tips, that will be really helpful.
>>
friendly on a superficial level
>>
>people are cold
>no they are helpful and kind
>vulgar
>no they rarely even swear

Yeah it is almost as if the country covers a continent and has 350,000,000 people in it.

Come on m8. Of course people are going to have different experiences.

Most people in the world are decent. Just give kindness and respect amd you will get it back. That is no different anywhere.
>>
File: 765567764544.png (132 KB, 378x387)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>1433527
Well at least some things never change I guess.
>>
>>1433518

Where in GA? I assume Atlanta?
>>
>>1433518
If you are a polite, educated, or classy person you won't swear in polite company. That's pretty much a given rule everywhere in the world isn't it? Swear words replace the better word choice. It can indicate a low intellect and small vocabulary size, not just crudeness.

The state of Georgia is known to be friendly and polite. There are white people and there are black people. In the city of Atlanta, such as...oh in a sketchier low income area/high crime area, you could in fact get some attitude or some reverse racism, or worse like be a victim of crime. It has very very very high crime, like broad daylight home invasions, car jackings, and shit that happens to tourists alike. You are likely to look and act differently as a Bulgarian, so watch your dress code and know your neighborhoods. Talk to someone and ask them to get a highligher out on a paper map and teach you what not to do to end up in the wrong areas. But, the entire rest of the state feels like a theme park of excellent personal customer service, from cashiers at gas stations to people who hold the door open for you entering a building Georgia is pretty well known for their good manners and hospitality.
>>
>>1433616
Best way to stay safe in Atlanta is if you're the only white guy around, you're in the wrong place.

It's not especially bad though. It's not belo horizonte or anything.
>>
>>1433518
Don't argue to much with people, they can pull out a gun and shoot you
>>
I lived near Georgia in the south and it was awful. The south is famous for its "hospitality", but it's all superficial. Once you look past the pleasant words they use, you realize it's all just very condescending. When someone tells you "bless your heart," they're really implying that you're a dumbass.

Northern people are just more frank, but if you're being an idiot, it's readily apparent. In the south, you're let go until it piles up and people really fucking hate you.

Also, crime in the south is far worse, drugs are a bigger problem, and people are fat as fuck. Plus it's hot all year.

I'd still recommend going. If you like it, stay. If you don't, save up your American dollars and use it to get a nice home when you go back to Bulgaria.
>>
>>1433518
foriegners are fine, you will only really have it rough if you go to dive bars or shit places. Attempt english the best you can, but don't be a dick about referring to "so much better back home"
>>
>>1433518
>>
File: 1495398178098.png (860 KB, 493x750)
860 KB
860 KB PNG
>>1433611
>>1433621
I wont live in Atlanta but a small city I guess near it - Jefferson, and as I said its probably gona be a start aka 1-2 years and after that I'll see where the wind blows

>>1433634
My English here in Europe is considered at C1 level, dunno how that goes into USA but I have no problems talking and writing, excluding some grammatical and punctuation errors.
>so much better back home
I phrase I will never use cuz there is nothing good here considering Bulgaria is a 2nd world ex-soviet country

>>1433616
>reverse racism
I know this was a meme gone bad but how bad is it, I mean Im a typical dude form the balkans(white,blue eyes, brown hair, 185cm tall)
Overall you are saying outside of Atlanta it's actually pretty good, I am actually pleasantly suprised

>>1433630
Yea its kinda the same here, not with gun thou but a shiv,knife,bottle.rock(yes some people carry around rocks) You can even get stabbed for looking at some people the wrong way here
>>
>>1433889
>I wont live in Atlanta but a small city I guess near it - Jefferson

that's 'part' of atlanta
in america things are supposed to be racially representative (especially schools), so white people live outside of cities in smaller cities that are mostly white as a workaround
the downside of this is you have a very spread out population, takes a couple hours driving from one end of metro atlanta to the other
>>
>>1433902
>takes a couple hours driving from one end of metro atlanta to the other
That was another thing I was wondering, How difficult or easy is to get a driving license in USA? Since here it's something along the lines of 2 weeks "study" before a written exam then a minimum of 32h of driving with instructor and then the practical exam.
>>
>>1433908
It's easy. We let absolute retards drive (out of necessity). Others might disagree, but I personally would recommend attending a driving school. It shouldn't be anywhere near as costly as it is in Europe.
>>
File: Americans.jpg (101 KB, 750x600)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1433518
<picrelated
>Bulgaria
Oh nevermind !
>>
>>1433527
Mainly this, Georgia people are generally fine but Atlanta is the worst part about the state.
>>1433630
You're dumb
>>1433633
It's not condescending unless you're actually retarded which you might be
>>
>>1433630
>>1434125
Nice catch
>>
Because it's going to be related to the state or mostly the city itself. If you're in rural GA people will be slightly hesitant, but incredible people if you warm them up to you. Atlanta is going to be generally cold - and mostly black folks, but generally friendly outside of some poorer areas.
>>
>>1433518
People are friendly, it's not fake, you'll see how quickly you can have real conversations with eople that wouldn't be possible in Baltic/eastern Europe. Most people who think it's superficial are other europeans. I've lived around the US. If you admit you're having a ad day when isay how are you doing...most would talk with you for a bit. Better to get it out than hold it in.
Less vacations days. You'll work harder and longer, it's not relaxed working emvironments. People swear constntly.
Your accent will do you favors
>>
>>1435151
Thanks for the info anon, appreciate it
>>
>>1433518
Good fucking luck. The state of Georgia has one of the highest population of African Americans in the entire US. And coming from Bulgaria, it's probably going to be a little bit of a shock. You don't realize how black people in the US act until you get here, it's horrible.

>inb4 someone calls me a /pol/ idiot
I don't give a shit, black culture is the worst.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.