[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 2017-07-26 (1) 0015.jpg (3.51 MB, 2384x1579)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
I found dirt cheap tickets to Seoul last night and bought them out of impulse.

I'll be in Seoul from 26th Dec. - 7th Jan. That's 12 days in total. Is Seoul known for a party scene during this time of the year or is it more of a family/traditional holiday like many places in Japan?

Also is 12 days in Seoul too boring? I want to check out DMZ, but would it be worth to do a 3 day trip for example in Busan?

I still haven't booked a hotel/hostel so if anyone has cheap recommendations (preferably in a place with lots of bars or things to do in general)
>>
>>1492370
Itaewon is cool for NYE best to book a room ahead of time.

And yeah 12 days is way too much. I'd suggest going somewhere in the interior for hiking/scenery/relaxation.

There's no reaosn to go to Busan or other large city they're all the same.

There are a billion empty couch-surfing spots if you want to pay nothing.
>>
>>1492370

>t. military fag stationed in Korea 2006-2007

IIRC Christmas and New Years were kinda reversed from what we think in the US. Christmas is when everybody wants to go out and party, and New Years is when everybody wants to stay at home and be with family.
>>
>>1492370
how much did you pay?
>>
Hongdae (or Itaewon).
12 days is only not boring if you fully book it with stuff like cooking and taekwondo classes and if you like to drink and eat a lot.
I personally enjoyed Busan a lot, but I can see why >>1492533 would recommend against it.
I enjoyed Gwangju even more for some weird reason, I guess the mountains around there were a bit nicer? People, too, also the bars and cafes right South of the art market were just completely WTF in a good way.
What are your hobbies? I mean you can even go skiing or something at that time, just to say that you went to an Olympic ski resort or so.
In smaller towns booking.com and hostelworld.com can be shit. What I did there was that I took the Naver map app, and went to guesthouses or motels on the app. Naver does have a much much wider selection of accommodation compared to any Western site.
>>
>>1492598
I like hiking, photography, music, and fashion.

One of the big motivations for going is that i have 2 friends livin in seoul who are korean and can show me around. Also korean fashion is much cheaper compared to here in japan.

According to one friend there's quite a thriving underground music scene in seoul that I'd love to check out

>>1492593
It was 200$ from tokyo which is super cheap considering most prices now are $480+
>>
>>1492533
Thanks for the tip, I'll prolly book a hotel for a few nights and do couchsurfing rest of the time. I met a lot of nice people that way in pther countries.
>>
Also does anyone have experiences regarding tattoos? I have quite a few, so would i be barred from enterig bathhouses like japan?
>>
>>1492370
no one cares about your yellow fever
>>
>>1492628
Im asian lol
>>
>>1492623

as far as music / club scene in korea goes, avoid the mainstream ones
henz in hongdae is a relatively underground but also now hyped up hip hop club, age demographic is quite young as well (19-early 20s). cakeshop is still good but also kind of a meme now, contra above it (same owners) is good and has a better interior structure. vurt / pistil for techno, soap in itaewon as well is probably the trendiest "underground" spot right now. check the club's ig accs to see what they got going on that day, it's pretty easy to club hop (but $20 cover per spot) if you want to keep it dynamic or catch your fav djs (if any) at different set times.

for fashion, 90% is mass garbage which you want to avoid. go for the tasteful spots like 1ldk or slowsteady club, avoid designer flagships as they're 100% of the time always more shit than flagships elsewhere. really if you're coming from tokyo, korea will be a huge letdown for fashion, retail, and design because tokyo is just so insanely next level. visla mag features some good local spots for art, music, fashion, and design so you can also check their ig for things going on
>>
>>1493498

basically shopping (clothing) is ass in korea unless you're into fast fashion ass quality meme "design" that lasts less than 1 season.

oh the ader error and gentle monster flagships are maybe worth checking out but only in a "sightseeing" / entertainment sense, the actual product is garbage. the stores just have some fun gimmicky installations going on that normies seem to go crazy over
>>
>>1493498

oh also for a more "raw" club / party experience hit up seendosi, this one is still pretty local and way less hypebeasts and lames there that can be seen at other trendy hongdae / itaewon clubs. it's in an industrial area with nothing around it, music is usually much more well curated, people more chill, good amt of english speakers, etc.
>>
>>1493498
also follow seoul community radio / puppy radio for music / dj related events
>>
>>1493498
>if you're coming from tokyo, korea will be a huge letdown for fashion, retail, and design because tokyo is just so insanely next level

this retard has no fuckin idea what he's talking about. koreans dress 60x better than japan or any country for that matter
>>
>>1492370
g2hongdae
>>
>>1493498
thank you anon, very informative post

I love 1ldk here in tokyo, it's where i buy most my clothes so I'll def be checking out their korean store

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.