[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 98374598345.jpg (863 KB, 1600x900)
863 KB
863 KB JPG
Do you have any New York City tips for getting free food, shelter, or other low budget strategies? Let's discuss and share insights that would be helpful to anyone if they had to live with no money in NYC for a few months. What would you do if you were transported to NYC right now and had no money, food, or shelter. What would you do? Creative answers only.
>>
>NYC
>Low budget
Kek, lol, lmao even. You can go to mcdonalds I guess.
>>
>>2664920
Whole foods is a nice place to take a shit.
>>
>>2664989
Good to know lol

>>2664946
You are just an internet dweller that's obviously never been to NYC. there are plenty of $3 food options in chinatown and street vendors. I'm looking for actual tips here buddy! Not mcdonalds suggestions or an answer I can get from google.
>>
>>2664920
the staten island ferry is free but you have to wait for it, it's every hour on the hour, every day of the year

if you're renting an airBNB or a sublet to avoid the cost of a hotel or apartment, you may as well rent in Staten Island since there's lower demand and it costs less

If I had no money, food, or shelter in NYC I would panhandle for enough money to buy an amtrak train ticket to a city in suburban Illinois, Lincoln, Nebraska, or Grand Junction CO

NYC is the most competitive homeless arena in the country and you will be robbed, rolled, pissed on, promptly kicked from any place that looks quiet enough you won't be detected sleeping (you will, within 10 minutes)
>>
Alright unironically
>for food I would just shoplift because it’s a democrat city and nobody gives a fuck
>for shelter I’d stay out late partying and then nap in the park in the morning. If it’s raining stay up all night then nap in a cafe in the day
>for transportation I’d just hop the train turnstiles. Again it’s a democrat city the chances of getting caught are extremely low and if you get nabbed you’ll just get a ticket that you can just ignore and never pay
>bathing is the hardest part. If it’s summer you can go to the beach and use some soap there. If it’s summer that’s harder there are some public pools but you can at least do hobo showers in the cafe restrooms
>for entertainment just shoplift 40s and walk around talking to people. If you’re cool enough somebody will invite you to do something.
Yeah NYC is a pretty good city to be broke in unironically. I wouldn’t want to do this for more than a couple weeks but if you really want to see the city and don’t have any money it’s totally doable.
>>
>>2665233
I wouldn’t recommend this in the winter but it’d be pretty easy in the summer.
>>
>>2664920
Go to NYC for a good time not a budget stay
>>
>>2664989
so are the sotheby anc Christies Auction houses.
you can you walk in, they are also nice museums.
Also moma is three on Thursdays
>>
>>2665233
>and then nap in the park in the morning
as someone who literally just this weekend tried this, DONT FUCKING DO IT. Its not worth it. There's deep seated physical, practical and psychological reasons to get proper sleep under proper shelter. Never listening to /trv/ ever again, or until tomorrow morning, whichever comes first
>>
Don't hop the turnstile at any 42nd street subway, there are almost always police there writing tickets.
>>
>>2664920
>What would you do if you were transported to NYC right now and had no money, food, or shelter
Get a job maybe?
>>
>>2665202
nice ok I will check out the ferry. good tips on staten island. good to know. the midwest does sound appealing too.

>>2665233
yes those sound reasonable, and it does sound doable. especially before it gets too cold.

>>2665338
haha! I will stick to sleeping at night

>>2665339
thx

>>2665345
yes in this scenario I'd be able to get a job there in NYC within prob 1 month. These are temporary solutions.

all solid advice so far
>>
30th and 1st is the mens intake shelter. Its a lot of paperwork and you cant hang out in the day but it’s free bed and meals for anyone. Obviously its a rough place, gangsters who were in prison that morning and drug addicts but if you’re OK with that it works. Stay long enough they’ll transfer you to a smaller one.
>>
>>2665946
Would you suggest it for a young white guy? That could be useful to do that paperwork if you can at least just stop by for the free meals. I've heard the NYC shelters are rough places. Might be safer to camp outdoors until I can get one of the cheap hostels that are like $20 /night.
>>
>>2666208
I think you should reconsider your plan all together. You will likely be robbed sleeping in either a shelter or a park.
>>
>>2665233
>just shoplift because it’s a democrat city and nobody gives a fuck
I thought that only applies for black and brown people shoplifting
>>
>>2664920
Free? haha, I'd like to see you find a free bathroom.

If you are that broke, maybe stay home?
>>
>>2666669
I could find one on almost every street, peabrain!
>>
>>2666615
it's easier if you're white or asian because the guards and workers are so used to nigs and nogs doing all the crime.
>>
>>2664920
just haggle. almost all the vendors you deal with are from haggling countries, anything you want can be bought lower.
>>
If you're on a budget, my advice is to cancel that shit and go to Washington DC instead because literally every museum and monument is free. It's also much cheaper for a hotel and really easy to get around on the metro without a car.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.