[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/u/ - Yuri

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 93 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: ulit-2019-03.jpg (96 KB, 840x585)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Discuss, request, and recommend /u/-related /lit/ works!

Previous Thread: >>2851207

------
>Downloads:

ulit Archives 2017 torrent (4670 books, release dates up till December 2017):
http://mgnet.me/.ulit_Archives_2017
https://www62.zippyshare.com/v/MRRmgyvA/file.html

Direct download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gzQIGx4HrkxHph2ejx7WGppv-Og9VkFZ/view?usp=sharing

ulit Archives 2017 Erotica add-on torrent (969 books):
http://mgnet.me/.ulit_Archives_2017_Erotica

------
>How to find books:

Mobilism Search for Lesbian, FF, LGBT, and GLBT keywords:
http://forum.mobilism.org/search.php?keywords=Lesbian+FF+LGBT+GLBT&terms=any&author=&fid%5B%5D=376&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=-1&t=0

Custom Google Search:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=001639227550064093264:dznewka3cca

Downloading from #bookz on IRC:
http://pastebin.com/pwAudzs6

B-OK (Bookzz):
http://b-ok.org/

Library Genesis:
http://libgen.io/

------
Outdated recommendations document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18e71t0H7v6olXdY9Ig0giUjnhSt1zltLcLSpj3SxRaI/
>>
File: MyFirstUNovel.png (302 KB, 1309x726)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
New to /u/lit? Here's a handy chart to get you started.

Collection download:
http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/BauJ1hW7/file.html
>>
File: Sorting_u_part1.png (743 KB, 5186x1578)
743 KB
743 KB PNG
Oversized Chart Part I
>>
File: Sorting_u_part2.png (620 KB, 5458x1578)
620 KB
620 KB PNG
Part II

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DHtc4amFKsTXNSR2psaGkxRkU/view
>>
>>2888993
Her name in the sky - Kelly Quindlen

>>2871503
Its been a few tears since I followed the series but her fictionpress/ao3 should still have the sequels.

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/576301/StarvingLunatic
>>
>>2902178
RE: scarred for life

I guess she removed Bandages and First Degree Burns when she published them. But you should still be able to read some unpublished Dane/Nicole Stories

https://sites.google.com/site/starvinglunaticfiction/original-fiction

Her old site should be good for Scarred chronology (Scroll to the bottom)
>>
Has anyone read the True Queen by Zen Cho? I really liked it although it feels like it's barely yuri.

Set in Britain, SEA?(Malaysia I think?) and the world of the Fae. It's fairly predictable, but one of those rare /u/ books that has good world building. It's book 2 of the Sorcerer Royal, but it's somewhat a stand alone book.
>>
I'm looking for book recommendations. I've been reading a lot of medieval battle fantasies and to be fair, they're starting to bore me terribly.

So now I'm looking for books with a good and believable relationship development, preferably a slow burn. I don't really have a preference for a setting but I'm tired of the medieval fantasy books with "badass" MCs.
>>
Any good popular girl x unpopular girl /u/ books?
>>
>>2902287
the traitor baru cormorant

funnily enough, it is a medieval series and there is a battle near the end. Relationship is believable and slow burn

warning: the book is MISERABLE. It'll tear out your heart and trample on it. saddest book I've ever read
>>
>>2902287
I'm more than halfway trough Jericho, and if you want a slow burn this is your pick. No angst, no drama up to this point characters are picture perfect and full of talents.
>>
File: 40879043[1].jpg (194 KB, 307x475)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
I finally got around to reading Isle of Broken Years. I really like almost everything Jane Fletcher does, but I put it off because I usually go to her for fun fantasy romps and from the blurb this sounded a lot more like a dry historical romance. And not to spoil anything, but it really wasn't that.

On either count, which was actually one of my complaints with the book. It certainly wasn't dry and historical, but it also was surprisingly non-romance-focused, too. It's probably good to branch out and I've always thought that her Celaeno setting has way more potential than just being a backdrop to show off one romance per novel in, but for lesfic the "les" side of the equation was rather insubstantial and felt more like a Doctor Who-inspired story that just happened to feature a pair of lesbians. And even then, it's like two-fifths of the way through before they're allowed to properly interact. It's not as if that was an unfortunate necessity of the plot because they were in different places and had separate stories until then or anything, they were around each other, just not really doing much to interact and ignoring opportunities to do so. It's like she knew she had a tendency like a lot of romance writers to give laserlike focus to the main couple to the detriment of everyone else, but in trying to correct for that veered way to far in the opposite direction.

So yeah, nice book, fun characters, not quite enough gayness. Also ends 40 pages too early like all her books do, but at least it has some cute newspaper snippets and whatnot to show where the characters ended up afterwards as a sort of mini-epilogue, which is more than they normally get.
>>
Has anyone read Holy Sister yet? I've been pretty wary of spoilers, but from what I've heard so far Nona doesn't end up with Regol, although she does apparently fuck him at some point.

Can anyone confirm without spoiling the rest of the book? If this is true, Nona better spend the last third of the book making out with Ara to make up for it.
>>
>>2902471
>characters are picture perfect and full of talents.
They are so disgustingly selfless that it was painful for me to finish it, I just wanted it to end but it kept going on and on.
>>
File: Not Ariel.jpg (166 KB, 750x1000)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Threadly plug of my absurdly unoriginal slow burn romance swords and sorcery pulling-stuff-out-of-ass-as-I-go fantasy novel!
Slam it, praise it, just gimme some critique for free! (read: I'd really really appreciate if you checked it out and gave me your thoughts.)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/15912519
>>
>>2902634
This is exactly how I feel. I've been stuck with this book for three weeks and just halfway trough it.
>>
>>2902819
Its weird because her other books are really good, it's just this series that I don't like.
I say series but I couldn't be bothered to read the next two books but I imagine that they're more of the same.
>>
>>2902615
I reviewed it last thread nee-san. Can confirm that Nona gets good yuri end but spends the entire first half of the book fucking Regol.
>>
>>2902848
>this series
There's more?! Hell no, I think I'm going to drop this one. Can you fill me on what happens after? I'm at the point just after the convention when the diabetic dipshit dies.
>>
>>2903014
What about the other books in the series?
I'm interested but I'm not going to slog through 2:1/2 books of het.
>>
>>2903027
I don't remember exactly but the librarian and one of her friends get beaten and nearly raped by some local guy who also set fire to her library,
Then he somehow gets himself mortally wounded and the doctor, off course, comes in to save his life without hesitation, the librarian is totally supportive, off course.
The consolation is that he dies later during surgery.
Then they basically adopt a little snot eating kid that the medic met ONCE during a flight because his grandmother has cancer or something and his father is in the middle east, and he somehow stays there for more then two continents years as reviled in the epilogue.
>>
>>2903040
I dropped it after the kid bullshit. I don't even wanna know abou the sequels.
>>
>>2903028
There's no real het in the first two books. Nona admits at one point that she had a crush on Regol (the dude she apparently fucks in the third book), as well as a teacher and one of her friends (both female). Aside from that, nothing happens involving her. All other relevant relationships mentioned in the book involve women or girls exclusively.
>>
>>2903028
Romance really isn't a focus of the series at all, and doesn't play into the author's writing style either. The het doesn't start until book 3 but then neither does the /u/ apart from some understated instances which are never expanded upon, and some side characters. I wouldn't recommend reading it for only the /u/, there's not enough there if you aren't already invested in the series imo.
>>
Anybody read Priory of the Orange Tree? I heard there was hetsex in it. How much? If there has to be het, I prefer it early and over with quickly without drama
>>
>>2903557
I think you asked you about this in the previous thread, but I couldn't answer then.

No POV has het romance or sex (Loth, the best friend has minor teasing with a secondary female character). The love interest of the main character must get married and produce an heir and she does get married but the wedding ends after a few chapters and it all happens before the MC and she fall in love.
>>
>>2903604
thanks that's good to know. Does it end happily? I can't handle a sad ending right now
>>
>>2903606
That is pretty difficult to answer without spoilers so being as vague as possible:

It ends with the guarantee of a happy ending but it can't happen immediately due to the characters needing to tie up some loose ends after the events of the books. I got spoiled on it but I was surprised to find when reading it that the ending isn't sorrowful or tragic but instead hopeful. Also its not a cliffhanger or sequel hook, thematically and plotwise all the
important stuff has been resolved.
I think I should also point out that what I talked about is in regards to the main character and her plotline.
>>
>>2903615
I'll give it a shot, I'm just avoiding anything like the ending of Baru Cormorant
>>
Anyone has any download links for The Sovereign of Psiere; https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/45169371-the-sovereign-of-psiere
>>
I read The Space Between by Michelle L. Teichman. It's a highschool yuri romance and I absolutely loved it, do you guys know any recommendations that are similar?
>>
I recently find out about Benjamin Medrano, apparently he writes lesbian high fantasy, dose any of you have any opinions on his writing stile,?
I'm interested but hesitant at the same time.
What I'm really wandering is if there is any sexual violence in his books?
>>
I haven't been around for a few months. Any interesting new books released in that time? Or is it as bleak as usual?
>>
>>2902635
I read two sentences and immediately though Ah so fucking British
>>
>>2906391
A Bird of Sorrow
>>
Are there any decent lesbian web serials? Not stuff with like a lesbian side character or two.
>>
>>2906530
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks for reading (at least) the two, though!
>>
>>2906824
A Practical Guide to Evil. Main character is technically bi, but all the on-screen romance so far has been with females. Romance forms a minor part though. The series is mostly about mindgames and plotting and war

I will warn you that the quality of writing is on-and-off. The author would benefit immensely from an editor
>>
>>2906824
A Hero Past The 25th
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11361/a-hero-past-the-25th
>>
>>2902635
Hey, good work so far! Might I suggest however that you keep the comedy a bit light when it comes to dangerous events? Take the dragon chase, Irika is in mortal danger as she can't use her magic against the dragon and has to run for her life. This should be building tension and a sense of mortal danger but it gets cuts down with the almost light heart nature of the chase.
>>
>>2907008
>isekai
I know /u/ standards are low, but not THIS low
>>
Just finished reading The Priory of the Orange Tree, was very good, probably the second-best /u/ book I've ever read. Prose is clean. For an 800-page book, it's very easy to get through.

There is a fairly significant, non-ignorable amount of het though. I was surprised by how much het there was. There's a fair amount of drama surrounding the het too.

Overall plot is straightforward with few twists. It kind of reads like a video game fetch quest, though that makes it sound worse than it is. The plot is just...unsurprising. Probably it's because I've been reading a lot of darker complex fantasy lately. There are some minor twists, including a particularly memorable weird-as-fuck mother/son romance, but the plot's laid out in the first couple chapters and never deviates.

What I disliked was the amount of different POVs. Too much dilution - you don't care about all the characters, and even the ones you do care about take too long to become relevant. I especially hates Nicalys Roos, the doctor. What an utterly unlikeable character. "boohoo my gay lover died decades ago" That doesn't give you an excuse to act like a massive cowardly, selfish asshole to everyone

Also Tane needed a love interests

Overall a solid 7/10, would recommend. 2nd best /u/ book I've read after Baru. I'm open to recommendations like it
>>
>>2907314
>What I disliked was the amount of different POVs. Too much dilution
>I especially hates Nicalys Roos, the doctor
Agree 100%. He also doesn't add anything essential to the plot that couldn't be encompassed by a fleshed out Tane POV. Imo if he was taken out entirely and his word count given to the other characters or to giving the queen a POV the book would have been 10/10 instant classic.
>I'm open to recommendations like it
This is pretty much it. As far as /u/ fantasy goes it's Baru>Orange Tree>>>>>>>>everything else. Next thing over I can think of that's alright (not great, but decent) in a similar vein is Tales of Ankyran.
>>
>>2907382
Roos's "redemption" was complete bullshit. After everything he did, he gets off scott free not because of what he did, but what he didn't do. "boohoo I won't assassinate the literally only hope our world has left, somehow that makes me good." Bitch please, not doing murder is the bare minimum not to be a piece of shit. Also, it's insane that his exile was seen as cruel. The asshole took advantage of a young girl's vulnerability to spend the crown's money to drink himself to death, and we're supposed to feel bad for him? He should've been fucking executed

disappointing that the fantasy /u/ genre is so depleted. Any good /u/ sci-fi? Anything, really, as long it has some fantastic elements. I can't stomach modern or historical fiction
>>
do you think someone like you can defeat the demon king
is cyril the otp?
please tell me she is
>>
>>2907407
No, its Milkit. Flum even marries her.
>>
File: ! 3.jpg (157 KB, 1299x852)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2907434
just
>>
Best depressing/melancholic/existential books? I'm going through it.
>>
>>2906809
Is it part of the Arravan series? The first is so bad I couldn't get through it. What a shame, I got excited for a moment.
>>
>>2904932
>>2904888
Thanks for the interesting posts. I will look into these books.

>>2907314
>very good
>significant, non-ignorable amount of het
The absolute state of """lesbian""" literature. Now I remember why I still haven't found a single good yuri book.
>>
>>2907314
Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames
>>
>>2907819
chill out nigga

>>2907824
it's the 2nd book of a series apparently, what about the first?
>>
>>2906809
Oh finally out huh. And not the final book in the series.... Well, guess I'll wait another 5-6 years for the next one before I read it. Going to have to reread the first 2 anyway since I don't remember anything that happened.

Anybody have books 3 through 5 of Dawn of a New Astral age? I started reading the first one, and despite the weeaboo feel, I'm enjoying it so far
>>
>>2907819
lesbian literature will always be shit because of this.
>>
>>2907022
Thanks! The first scene in particular was meant to set the overall tone of the story, if you read on you'll notice that the rest of the dangerous events are significantly more serious in color. Some of them are positively dreary!
>>
>>2904888
The only okayish one about high schooler that comes to mind is Our Demented Play Date but it's not about school itself.
>The Space Between
Hard to get into. Harper is maybe 14 or 15 years old. Her parents aren't doing their job so her older sister inspires her to consume drugs and be a school bitch who sees boyfriends as status symbols. The description of school life seems exaggerated like in Hollywood movies but then I remember the disturbing things the bitches did in my school and it all becomes plausible.

At least Harper doesn't need to live with her boyfriend in Africa in her 20s to realize she's "lesbian" like the woman in the author's other book. So that's already a big improvement from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand how people can be too stupid to figure out what attracts them sexually.
>>
>>2907979
The second one you can read as a stand alone. There are some callbacks to the previous book and its characters here and there, but otherwise have no meaningful impact on the main story.
>>
>>2902147
Hey, new to the thread.
Call me freaking retarded but how the fuck do I read the books from the torrent? My EPUB reader doesn't work with it.
>>
>>2908454
Try an eBook reader, not an EPUb reader. Digital editions, for example.
>>
>>2908454
haven't gotten around to dl'ing yet, how many on there are yuri?
>>
>>2908481
I only downloaded one of them, but given the fact that it's "ulit archive" I assume all of them.
>>
>>2908454
For PC I use calibre but 95% of the time I read on my phone and use ReadEra.
>>2908481
>>2908487
No. The problem is that genuine western yuri books don't really exist or are extremely rare. Most are LGBT culture. So expect a lot of het and "experienced" old women. Instead of cute idealized fantasy there will be a disturbing and more realistic characterization of usually very flawed and unlikable women.
>>
>>2908690
I think we all assumed that. Though I decided to start with "Kiss the Woman" (as the chart up there suggested) and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a lot.
>>
I've been trying to write yuri fiction for years and I still have no idea how most lesbian fiction authors seem to totally miss what the audience actually wants. Hell, I don't know what the audience wants either.
>>
>>2908816
All we really want is no hetshits or bisluts.
>>
>>2908701
>Kiss the Woman
Do you mean Kiss the Girl? I gave up on that pretty early. Here some other books I didn't like but maybe you will enjoy as well. Since I don't know what you like, they could be hit or miss.

Breaking Character by Lee Winter
Unlikely Match by Fiona Riley
Who'd Have Thought by G Benson
>>
>>2908454
Get a reader that supports multiple formats or convert the books yourself. If you mean a physical reader, like a Kindle or something, converting is most likely your only option.

If you read on your phone, I recommend buying/pirating Moon+ Reader. It supports pretty much everything and has decent customization options.
>>
>>2908816
>Hell, I don't know what the audience wants either
For a long time I tied myself up in knots over this before realizing it will be impossible to please everyone. So, I'm writing the kind of /u/ that I'd like to read while avoiding the /u/ tropes that annoy me the most and just seeing what happens. I think it'll be fine if you avoid the more obviously dumb tropes that plague the genre. It's not like the bar is high.
>>
>>2908959
I mean, yes, it's tropey and corny, but I've always been a sucker for simple romances. I got tired of those a while back, but making them lesbian romances seems to add a whole new layer of enjoyment to it I haven't felt in years.
It's no masterpiece and I feel like I could write a better romance myself, but it's really enjoyable nonetheless.
>>
>>2908959
and thanks for the recs.
>>
>>2908454
SumatraPDF is a pretty decent lightweight program that will read EPUBs on PC. Calibre is pretty clunky by comparison for reading. AI reader is pretty good for Android. Both are free
>>
Just read Bloody Rose, it was enjoyable. It's the 2nd book in a series but can be read stand-alone (which I did). First book is non-/u/

Very standard fantasy, lots of monsters, fantasy races, journeys, fights, etc. There is a LOT of fighting. Fortunately, the fight scenes are well-written, and I enjoyed it even though I'm generally not a fan of fights. The author has a fine touch for humor. Prose is above average. Sometimes it's even great.

Not a lot of complicated plots or twists, mostly just fights stringing into each other. Like I said, it's a standard fantasy romp set in a well-realized world. I prefer my novels with more intrigue, but this one was sufficiently entertaining nonetheless. The setting is its biggest strength. I also liked the MC being essentially a side character to what is unmistakeably the titular character Bloody Rose's story. Kind of like Watson to her Holmes

The /u/ angle: romance forms a minor part of the story. MC is a lesbian. She fucks a few girls. Her main love interest Cura is bisexual (and freaky) and sleeps around with EVERYONE, which I know some of you will be put off by. The romance, like the rest of the novel, is standard: they grow closer together, they grow apart, they grow close again. There's not a lot of focus on their romance, but whatever is there is fleshed-out and satisfactory

Overall 6/10, would recommend but it's not particularly memorable outside of its setting
>>
>>2909287
No need to defend yourself. You don't have to conform or only like what other people like.
>I feel like I could write a better romance myself
Writing a book is more difficult than it looks. I have some respect for books even if they're bad because even the bad ones are the result of hundreds if not over a thousand hours of work.
>>
>>2909398
>The /u/ angle: romance forms a minor part of the story. MC is a lesbian. She fucks a few girls. Her main love interest Cura is bisexual (and freaky) and sleeps around with EVERYONE, which I know some of you will be put off by.
You are correct. This was mentioned in reviews which ensured that I will never read the book and be extra suspicious about future works from the same author.
>>
>>2909753
>Writing a book is more difficult than it looks
Boy would I know of that. I don't take writing lightly.
>>
>>2909758
>purityfags

christ, you're in the wrong genre. I can't say I'm fond of het showing up, but fantasy lesbians is niche enough that you can't be picky. Some of the best stories I've read have featured varying amounts of het, while some of the worst have featured 100% lesbians.
>>
>>2909860
>you're in the wrong genre
You're in the wrong board. If I wanted to read a good book, I wouldn't waste my time with fiction in the first place. However, I happen to really like pure yuri. It makes books worth reading for me. Obviously that also means when there is false f/f advertisement and the book doesn't contain pure yuri, I will be annoyed about having wasted my time.

The problem lies with idiots who falsely classify books. Imagine you go to the bakery for a chocolate cake. What you get is a steaming pile of shit though. When you complain that you wanted a chocolate cake because clearly it said chocolate cake, the answer is that there is 1% chocolate cake mixed in with the excrement and therefore you are to blame for being a purityfag who demands that chocolate cake must be 100% chocolate cake and not 1% chocolate cake and 99% shit.
>>
>>2909878
chill out nigga, go read /u/ manga instead
>>
>>2909878
You sound like a total /v/tard with your dumb strawman arguments
>>
>>2909860
People enjoy reading about std infested whores. Wow.
>>
>>2909860
Is it really so bad to want to read something that's simply lesbian?
You don't see hetshit stories constantly devolving into gay stuff only to get back to hetshit on the end.
We just want that when something is supposedly f/f it stays f/f all the way.
That includes not devolving into f/f/f/f/f/f/f/f
>>
Just finished The Dark Wife, which I discovered from the recommendation chart. /u/ retelling of the Persephone myth. It was great. Extremely romance-heavy, which isn't normally my cup of tea, but it's well-written with a strong voice. Prose is excellent, far above typical /u/ literary standards, though it does get excessively weepy at times with some navel-gazing. You could tell the book was written by a woman. There's a LOT of angst. Ends happily though

There is quite a lot of rape. Not to the MC or her main love interest Hades, but unkind things are done to people they're close to.

Overall 7/10, great romance-centric /u/-lit
>>
>>2909920
>f/f/f/f/f/f/f/f
Give me two books that feature this. No really, I'd like to read something like that.

>>2910204
Did we read the same book?
>>
>>2910216
what didn't you like about it anon?
>>
>>2910223
I wrote about it last thread >>2867778 don't know if the link works because I'm >phoneposting
>>
>>2910230
lol we have the exact opposite opinions. I thought the idea is lame (I'm not a fan of myth retellings) but that it was well-executed. In fact, I went in with no expectations of real mythology, so I didn't feel any of the disconnects you were talking about.

>Characters are flat and don't act or talk like you would expect gods to
Greek pantheon is literally just humans with a lot of powers, even I know that much. Their entire schtick is that the gods are just like humans, with all of human's flaws. Persephone is only like 18 years old while everyone else is hundreds/millenia old, of course she's going to struggle to prove herself.

Characters are flat, I'll give you that. Persephone herself undergoes some development, and Hades a little bit. But you don't need to be dynamic to be likeable. I found the characters sympathetic

I enjoyed the book for what it was: a romance novel with a lot of angst and fluff and kissing (good lord is there a lot of kissing)

Why didn't you like the epilogue? It was a tonal shift and came out of nowhere, but there was nothing outrageous about it
>>
>>2910239
>gods are just like humans
Not really, they are like humans but to the nth power. They felt just like humans, almost like reading some random fantasy book.
The only character I felt something for was that poor Pallas, still in love after three hundred years and has no idea Athena has moved on.
>the epilogue
Believe me I could see it before my eyes while reading it and it was exactly like something out of a '00 lame super hero action movie. Aha she's wearing jeans and walks with all the souls behind her, she's so cooooollll and like the entrance to hell is in the subway wooow. Really the only thing missing was the trashy rock music.
I'll admit the book had its moments, like the beginning until the Zeusing and the part with the sea nimphs but other that I didn't find it enjoyable. Glad you liked it and had fun tho.
>>
>>2910263
Epilogue was an attempt to bridge myth and reality. It was the author's attempt to make Greek myth relevant in today's world. It's also the closest the author can get to a "happily ever after" without stating it outright

>zeusing
dohohohohho
>>
>>2908454
You could just buy it.
>>
>>2908816
I'd like characters that are not afraid to fuck someone over to get what they want.
>>
>>2910767
How would buying books in an unsupported format help that anon?
>>
>>2910781
Unless she's reading on a Windows 98 I don't understand what the problem is.
>>
File: 1549805771979.png (310 KB, 1000x670)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
>>2910788
>"I have a reader that doesn't support books with X extension, what do"
>Wrong answer: "just buy books lol"
>Correct answer: "just get a different reader that supports that extension lol"
It's really simple.
>>
>>2910819
Or a format converter. Surely there's one of those for e-books
>>
>>2910924
In my experience, it's easier to just get a reader than can deal with most common formats than bother with converting files every time your very picky program decides that it's not going to read some file.

But yeah, converting works as well.
>>
Anyone know of /u/ lit with blind or deaf characters?
>>
Just read the first book of When Women Were Warriors. It wasn't anything like I expected. It was, in fact, the exact opposite of what I expected. For a series called When Women Were Warriors, there's surprisingly little warrior-ing. In fact, there's no fights at all. Zero. Instead there's a lot of introspection, a lot of sitting around and talking about your emotions. You could tell a women wrote this. It was very enjoyable.

There's not much of a plot though. I hesitate to use the term 'plot.' More accurately, there's no climax. Events happen, and characters develop, but none of it sums up to anything. Kind of like SoL

purityfag warning: MC's love interest (one of her love interests, at any rate, and the main one so far) was raped by a guy. It happened years ago and it was only briefly mentioned, but I know how much purityfags hate that shit. Besides that it's /u/ all the way

Special note of the prose: it's wonderfully minimalistic. Short sentences, low vocab, nothing fancy. Very simple and straight-forward, and it adds sincerity to the MC's thoughts, like she's just telling things the way they are. Basically the complete opposite of Baru

off to read book 2
>>
>>2911167
Yeah, recent releases thread.
>>
For anon from last thread that wanted audio, I just finished The Dark Wife from audible and it had good voice acting. I had a few issues with the story/characters/etc..., but it was still decent overall and had solid /u/ content.
>>
File: 1561172721913.jpg (14 KB, 374x374)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2911229
>>
>>2911226
Oh, you're still looking for decent fantasy right? A lot of people bounced off it (and for very valid reasons, but I really liked The Tiger's Daughter and its sequel.
>>
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but I don't wanna just self-shill like an asshole; how the hell do you go about promoting lesbian fiction once you're publishing it? Where do people actually look for this stuff that I can get some eyes on my work?
>>
>>2911167

In the Silence by Jaimie Leigh McGovern
>>
>>2911323
It's a joke that implies that anons in the recent releases thread are blind and deaf.

Thanks for coming to my standup debut, it's been nice meeting you all.
>>
>>2911333
I am looking for good fantasy, I'll give it a shot
>>
>>2911514
If you've been reading this thread at all, it's a very grapevine community. The good shit will be naturally promoted by those who read it because it's good and people are desperate for good shit. Can't imagine it's any different in other non-4chan outlets where yurilit fans gather. If you want your book(s) to hit the front pages and big sites you'll probably need to pay for advertisement like every other professional author out there. Or get lucky and find a prolific reviewer who happens to like your stuff.

That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with plugging your own stuff, as long as it's thread-relevant and as long as you don't replug it every single day on the same thread/board/site. Also worth investigating your audience before making your promotion speech; if you plug your yuri book here and it turns out to be 75% hetshit, you're probably gonna get abysmal reviews from the tenants of this thread in particular.
>>
>>2911704
I wouldn't say that plugging your book in a thread with ~42 posters is "promoting".

>>2911514
There's probably a hashtag on tumblr/twatter that can expose a few people to your works if you post regularly enough. I think I've seen a few LGBTBBQs shout out books they found interesting, but you'd need to reach them somehow first. But as >>2911704 said, if you want actual results, you would probably need to pay for ads or reviews on popular book sites.
>>
File: confused_mountain_god.png (31 KB, 399x176)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>mfw reading When Women Were Warriors book 2
>mfw MC almost fucks her mother's ex-gf
>mfw MC did it knowing her mother's ex-gf was going to adopted her
>mfw MC would've fucked her soon-to-be stepmom who was also her mother's former lover
>>
>>2911831
sounds hot
>>
File: promote.jpg (21 KB, 655x36)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2911715
If spending 2 minutes posting a link to your stuff on a Cambodian basket weaving forum nets you 10 new readers who may spread your work forward on other social media platforms that are focused on the stuff that you're writing about but which you may not know about, I'd call that worthwhile promoting.
>>
>>2911531
TY
>>2911536
lmao
>>
>>2911704
>>2911715
Thank you both for the serious answers.
>>
>>2911226
It's more like a book split in three parts, they don't really hold on their own.
>>
Here's something slightly new: A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1) by Arkady Martine.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37794149-a-memory-called-empire

A space opera of manners. Very well written. The protagonist is in a F/F romance, although it's slow-burn and not the focus of the book.
>>
File: 1539144851589.png (370 KB, 298x475)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
I read The Avatar's Flames and thought it was ok. Obviously written by a fa/tg/uy kind of person and not impressive from a literary perspective. But it also avoids much of the bad stuff that plagues lesbian books. I don't understand the negative reaction from people like >>2689630

>>2911831
At the same time I couldn't even make it halfway into the first WWWW. Why is WWWW so beloved?
>>
>>2912266
I couldn't get far into WW... either.
>>
>>2912217
of fuck it's /u/? I read a few chapters, but I found the prose tediously complex, and I thought the romance was 100% going to be with the guy in her head.
>>
>>2912266
>>2912270
It's not for everyone. The first two books are entirely focused on people sitting around and talking about their emotions. It reads like an extended therapy session.

It's not exactly slow-paced, there's just not a lot of what people would call plot. Plot-like events don't occur until the 3rd book, which I'm in the middle of reading, and let me tell you, it is GLORIOUS. It's so fucking good that I don't know why the author waited so long to start the plot rolling.
>>
>>2912368
>Yes, but the romance is more in the background. Martine said in an interview:
>>In the Teixcalaan universe specifically, I wanted to explore a culture (several cultures, in fact), where reproduction had been unpinned almost entirely from both gender and sex, since 99% of babies are grown in artificial wombs and at least partially gene-designed. This let me have queerness as a somewhat neutral state—Teixcalaanlitzlim don’t much care who a person has sex with, or what gender they are, and neither do Stationers. Queerness is pervasive but not plot-bearing in this book. (...) And also it let me write a slow-burn lesbian romance where the conflict is about cultural incompatibility, not the sexual orientation of either participant.
>>
>>2912401
sounds promising, I'll give it another shot. There's a dearth of sci-fi /u/
>>
Finished reading When Women Were Warriors, excellent trilogy. First two books are all about people talking about their emotions, but the 3rd book surprised me. Once the plot starts rolling, it is glorious. Elen is a magnificent bitch. The ending is deeply satisfying and one of happiest, most optimistic endings I've ever read.

Prose is excellent. Minimalistic all around and very easy to read. Author has a knack for communicating complex emotions in a simple, easy-to-understand manner.

I need to make special mention of how fucked-up some of the "romances" are.
>MC almost fucking her soon-to-be adopted mother who was also her biological mother's ex-gf
>MC's first love interest ultimately ends up with MC's younger sister
>lesbian child sex slaves
>Sparrow offering sexual favors to her teacher who is by my estimate ~20 years older than her

At the heart of the book is age-gap teacher/student romance, which I've always found disturbing. The power disparity between teacher and student is so great that any romance inevitably comes off as predatory, and the series makes no attempt to hide that fact. Students frequently sleep with their mentors who are decades older than they are and hold immense power over them. At least one student explicitly offers sexual favors to her mentor in return for advantages. If it wasn't lesbians but instead male mentor with female student, the romance would've been something entirely different.

Overall excellent, 8/10, though the first two books drag that score down slightly
>>
>>2911831
I... didn't get that impression at all when I read it
>>
>>2912501
what impression did you get?
>>
>>2912401
but how much other shit is there?
>everyone fucks everyone
I don't care whether romance is in the background. I do care though when they fuck around like whores
>>
>>2912266
prose is painfully sub-competent. I read up to when the dragon showed up and stopped.
>>
>>2912577
That's what I don't get. I only care about characters first and world + story second. Good writing helps but for all I care it can look like it was written by a little kid. Yet for so many others it seems to be the other way around. They read books about awful characters but at least the writing is decent.
>>
>>2912593
Prose is the basic foundation of writing. You can't make a good meal with shit ingredients. Bad prose is physically painful for me to read. Prose is so intertwined with every aspect of writing that you can make the argument it's impossible to write good characters, immersive worlds, or engaging plots without good prose.
>>
>>2912593
Not that anon and I don't know how bad the book in question is, but reading garbage for several hours is unpleasant for me, no matter how compelling characters are. If I have to trip over mistakes, typos and poorly worded sentences, especially when they're bad to the point of being confusing, I'd rather just go read another book. Imagine reading a long research paper written by an ESL with a subpar grasp on English — that'd probably not be fun for you.

And I rarely see interesting characters and world building in poorly written stories, for that matter.
>>
>>2912217
>>2912368
>>2912401
>>2912557
>A Memory Called Empire
I read this last week. It's okay if you like political space operas. I usually like this genre, but the book constantly pushed from detailed into tedious and it was a chore to push forward at times. Calling the romance "slow-burn" is a bit generous, since it's barely present or given much time and has no tension - we get more detail about the imago's sex-life than anything the MC does. In fact, barring one or two instances there's also a bizarre lack of tension in general despite the high stakes - I think this is a writing style issue though, and admittedly some might like it. Overall however it's decently written and I would give a potential sequel a go with the hope that the author ups the ante and mixes it up a bit.
>>
>>2902635
I'm sorry but this just ticks me, why do you keep using 'for' in lieu of 'because'? It sounds so unnatural in a casual sentence. were you trying to imbibe some fairytale story telling atmosphere? If yes, it was kinda not working, it just cuts the flow of the sentence.
>>
>>2912503
I thought the leader was asking MC to give up her entire family to be her heir and it was a terrible thing to ask but she felt she had to ask and MC felt she had to seriously consider it so it was all weird and awkward
>>
>>2912908
Also when she got sick MC helped her because she cared for her genuinely not because she wanted to bang her
>>
>>2912909
I believe it's possible to genuinely care about someone you want to bang, and not somehow fake it.
>>
>>2912909
you are correct, MC would've fucked her in order to help her get over her sickness, but no matter how you dress it up, MC was about to bang her soon-to-be adopted mother who was her mother's ex-gf

The thing about the series is that it's very well-written and dresses up its romances in a way that makes them seem beautiful. But once you strip away the dressings, you get a lot of fucked-up shit.
>>
>>2913005
>fucked-up
You mean "hot".
>>
>>2913009
Fucked up and hot do at times mingle. Still is fucked up though.

>>
>>2912883
You know that thing where you just write and unconsciously keep using the same word or turn of phrase over and over? That might be what happened there. I do like 'for' in certain contexts more than 'because' though, but I don't think it'll be a consistent trend throughout the entire story. I like to think I got better at writing while writing it. Sorry to hear that it ticks you off!
>>
>>2912883
>it just cuts the flow of the sentence.

Not that anon, but sometimes it flows a lot better than clunky BEEE-CAAAUSE
>>
Just read The Tiger's Daughter. It was great. The first third of the book was heaven. The whole "fated lovers" shtick was beautifully done, and the epistolary format gave it an intimate feel. It was heartwarming watching the MCs grow up. Author doesn't fuck around telling you these two are going to get together. Probably the only time I've enjoyed reading 2nd person. Prose is flowery and flashy but not excessive.

Unfortunately, the story quality dips after Shefali turns into a demon. It's just so cliche, and every single trope associated with it is played completely straight. Walls of angst.

If the story was them just riding around going on adventures, it would've been 10/10

I liked the setting, even if it did feel weaboo-y

Off to read the second book
>>
>>2913337
Glad to hear you liked it. I actually loved the angst but that is admittedly a personal thing. Since you seem relatively new to /u/ books, I'm just trying to think of stuff I liked and recommending it.

Have you read Ardulum? Its a finished sci-fi trilogy thats a bit weird but I liked it.
>>
>>2913145
On certain sentences, probably. But this one is getting redundant. And as usual with things that gets repeated (again and again) it's started to become irritating.
>>
>>2913377
I'll add it to the list. I've only been reading /u/ lit for a few months, but I've binge-read a ton of books so far. I'm always open to more recommendations
>>
How is this book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35291021-fionn
>>
Empress of Forever by Max Gladstone was a really nice surprise. A genius in a dystopian near future is snatched from her world and taken to a strange universe, rescued by a monk and frees a Sun Wukong reference in order to fight a world destroying empress and try to get home.
A small pre-emptive thing so you don't set yourself up for disappointment, Zanj is not the love interest. I was really disappointed in that but the actual romance is sweet.
>>
>>2913650
>Max Gladstone
Love his Craft Sequence series but got put off when in the last one he had a cast full of lesbian characters and somehow managed to make them all utterly unlikable cunts. Are the characters in Empress Forever sympathetic at all?
>>
>>2913826
They are. One of them is a brutal, probably evil warlord who wants to kill another, but there is lots of camaraderie and character development.
>>
>>2913650
Is the ship the empress? Damn the book sounds hype. Thanks for the rec
>>
>>2902147
Someone has the book The Lion's Circle by Amelia Ellis to share?
I can only find the volume 2
>>
>>291392One of the characters is basically sun Wukong, so the empress would be Buddha except instead of a mountain she traps Zanj (the monkey queen) in the center of a star surrounded by a dozen black holes. She's a nearly all powerful goddess.

The book is just a ridiculous over the top action adventure story and it was very fun
>>
>>2913936
And I meant to quote >>2913923 but was too zealous about my use of backspace.
>>
>>2913898
Nice, I'll pick it up in then.
>>
Haven't checked into this thread in over a year. I'll ask the same thing I do every year:

Has anything come out in this genre with better writing than Baru Cormorant yet or is it still the standard?
>>
>>2913967
Those are high standards. Traitor is the most well-written book I've ever read, not just /u/ lit.
>>
File: tigers_daughter.jpg (516 KB, 1688x2549)
516 KB
516 KB JPG
Just finished The Phoenix Empress. It was okay, a step down from the first book.

There was too much plot and too much of it was awkward. Too many new developments out of nowhere, too many new characters. The best part of the first book was when the focus was laser-thin on the MCs. Demons, corruption, etc. is well-trodden ground, and the author beats every cliche in this dead horse.

At least half the 2nd book has Shizuka and Shefali apart. I understand the need to tell what happened to Shizuka in the last 8 years, but the story only works when they're together; their romance is the entire crux of the series, and you can't write their story when only one of them is there. As a result, much of Shizuka's story is tedious.

The best part of the series is the whole "fated lovers" theme. The best part of the series is the outrageously exaggerated love declarations the MCs make towards each other. Elaborate, long-winded, melodramatic, cheesy, campy - the love declarations are undoubtedly excessive, but they sound sincere, and so you like them. The best part of the series is when the MCs are alone and excessively touchy with each other.

Finishing the second book (third book's not out yet) makes me long for the story we could've gotten instead. Look at the cover art for the first book. Look at all it promises: two girls riding through strange lands. A SoL with these two in the plains would've been amazing. A narrower focus, instead of the expansion the author gave us, would've served the romance much better.

I'll give the first book a 7/10, second book a 6/10. A lot of the series is carried by the flashiness of its prose and the uniqueness of its first-person/second-person format.

For the purityfags: there's no het at all, go nuts
>>
What does anyone think of Djuna Barnes' short novel, Nightwood? I read it back in 2009, I think. I ordered it along with Querelle by Jean Genet(I didn't finish Querelle). Is it too pretentious, or maybe dense. I can't remember what I thought of the novel when I read it back then. I remember some college classmates getting a good laugh because of the title of the novel, they're a bunch of left wing liberals. Anyway, I guess I'm reading the novel for LGBT Pride month.
>>
Anyone got a link to Ardulum? nothing on IRChighway
>>
>>2914308
Felt like sharing, enjoy. (It's one of my fav sci-fi /u/ books)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3t1aq238oz3c842/J.S._Fields.zip/file
>>
>>2914317
thx m8
>>
Is this a good book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39997864-raven-fire-and-ice
>>
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/42117380-the-lady-s-guide-to-celestial-mechanics

Just read this one and it was quite good. Though there was your run of mill 'conflict just to have conflict' near the end. It wasn't dragged out though, so all's good. It's in mobilism if anyone's interested.
>>
>>2914160
The cover art is indeed gorgeous!
>>
Does anyone have beautiful dreamer by melissa brayden please?
>>
>>2913650
Just read Empress of Forever.

Zanj 100% should've been the love interest. Xiara's alright, but she's not Zanj. Zanj is the most interesting character in the book save maybe the Empress herself. Zanj may be a Sun Wukong clone but a damn good one. She has more screentime with the MC than Xiara does. Fuck, the ending scene is MC and Zanj, not MC and Xiara.

I enjoyed Empress of Forever, but I'm trying to figure out why I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I should have. Prose was good. Characters were likeable. World-building was grand. I think it's something with the plot - the pacing seems to better fit a movie than a book, and there's an on-rails feeling to it, moving from set-piece to set-piece instead of allowing the plot to develop organically. There's a particular scene near the end where it switches PoV every few paragraphs that reminded me of a movie switching camera shots, which works in a movie but not in a book.

Prose also got excessive at times. I love flashy prose, but this was excessive, with sentences that just run on and on. There's some great lines, but most of the prose feels empty, more style than substance. To me, Baru Cormorant (especially the final chapter of Traitor) is the peak of prose. It's flashy, but never excessive. It's elegant, which can't be said for Empress of Forever.

Elegance - that's what the book was missing.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10. A decent /u/ sci-fi, though admittedly I've only read 1 other /u/ sci-fi to compare it to

for the purityfags, there's no het at all, though the MC's gf's past is left ambiguous
>>
So, just finished the Soho Loft trilogy. Probably everyone here has already read them but I wanted to give my opinion anyways.

Not the best books I've ever read, but I guess I have always been a sucker for corny romance. The first book, I think, is definitely the best. The characters definitely felt more in tune with one another, and while the second one, I think, has the cutest couple, Kiss the Girl just managed to hit the perfect spot between romance and drama. Just Three Words, I think, had too much in terms of denialfagging, and the non-relationship drama was rather boring. Ready or Not is more of a mixed bag. I actually enjoyed more the out of relationship drama than in the other two books, but I also felt like it could have been extended maybe another ten pages to give a better closure, particularly to the whole sister situation.

But in general I fucking adored the three books. Corny and predictable, the three of them, but they also felt really idealistic while not trying to shy away from some realities, and that's what I look for in my love stories. Reality sucks, we all know it, so no need to try to make your stories 100% realistic. Fuck reality.

In general I'd give the whole thing a Pretty Darn Good/10,
Really glad I found this thread.
>>
Does anyone have a link to this book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45169371-the-sovereign-of-psiere
>>
>>2916488
I've read a few pages and it looks god-awful
>>
>>2916513
The author also wrote https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37538474-the-fletcher is it also bad?
>>
>>2916522
unless it's written >5 years after the first book so the author can improve his/her prose, yes, it is bad
>>
>>2916528
Judging by the publishing date, it was written before the other one.
>>
>>2916530
it's almost certainly shit. Read the preview, you can tell whether a book's going to be good or not
>>
>>2914694
got a link? Never used mobilism and its not on ebooks
>>
>>2916586
nm I figured it out
>>
Anything promising here?

https://www.tor.com/2019/05/14/sleeps-with-monsters-forthcoming-queer-novels-starring-queer-women/
>>
>>2916822
Queer also means Trans and stuff, you know. I assume those are more likely than les.
>>
>>2916822
>autist in the comments REEing about wlw in SFF getting more representation than mlm
Like clockwork. Why do yaoi fujoshits have such a massive chip on their shoulder?
>>
>>2916884
Does it, though? Somehow I can't believe that, but...
>>
Alright sisters give me your hottest/favorite erotic novels.
>>
anybody else kinda feel guilty for reading all the time and not writing your own work I write a lot of fanfic though
>>
I wanna read highschool, or college /u/ books. Recommend me some.
>>
>>2914694
Just read it, it was pretty good. I have no interest in historical fiction, and Celestial Mechanics was the first one I've read. Above-average level of prose, with some great lines. Very fluffy and sweet, MCs get together early and often. The whole thing's cutely feminist in that vague old-timey British era way.

Good source of age-gap /u/ (MC's love interest is 10 years older than she is).

For the purityfags, MC's love interest is a widow and bisexual
>>
How good is this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22718724-ice-massacre
>>
>>2917672
I really liked the first book, the second not so much and I coudn't finish the third.
>>
>>2917687
First book isn't labeled, this is definitely safe for a purityfag /u/ only right?
>>
Does anyone here write their own /u/?

I'm working on 2 stories right now, both /u/ af.
>>
>>2917787
I've read them all. They're definitely safe for lesbian purity obsessed people.
Though don't expect anything explicitly sexual. They're very violent, but not heavy on the sexual themes. Just pretty casually homo.
>>
>>2917896
I'm working on one right now. I write a lot of fanfic but only recently have I wanted to do original work.
>>
>>2917911
>I've read them all.
I assume you're not the other anon, can you give me your opinion of the books? The other one said only the first one is good.
>>
>>2917896
Yeh, in the process of writing >>2902635
And I have another considerably more LN-like story about a highschool girl who falls in love with her boyfriend's mother lined up after I'm done with cheesy medieval fantasy.
>>
>>2917965
They're bad.
>>
>>2917896
I'm giving it a go. Somehow /u/lit has managed to continually miss the mark with lesbian vampires so I'm taking matters into my own hands.
>>
>>2918129
We can't always have a masterpiece that is Carmilla.
>>
>>2918129
that's the spirit ! godspeed sister
>>
>>2917965
I liked them, actually. Wouldn't say they're anything spectacular or riveting if you're familiar with this kind of story. But they're effective and they pretty much follow the typical formula.

They scratched that itch for lesbian mermaids, though there were not a lot of 'couple moments' in there. Would've liked some more romance.

Without knowing what kind of stories you're into, it's tough to recommend since I know /u/ consists of a very pick crowd.
To summarise my thoughts; the plot can get tedious at times, and it's not wholly original. There's some good action and the mermaids are actually quite spooky. The couple was cute, too, and there are moments from the first novel that I particularly love. 6-7/10 would read again.
>>
>>2917965
Just read the first book, it was...not good. Still, I finished it, which is more than I can say for a lot of books. I'm a big sucker for "falling in love as children and meeting later on" which is pretty much the only reason I stuck it through Ice Massacre.

Prose is average at best. Not a lot of romantic moments. I like Lysi and Meela's interaction, and it would've been nice to see more of it. Much of the plot feels forced. Like, why send out ONE ship each year when they all get killed? Why not, you know, conserve your strength and send out a couple? Also, the KDA ratio is insane. 20 girls kill over 700 mermaids. That's a lot of fucking dead mermaids

The weirdest part of the story is the setting. It takes place in the modern era, which took me a while to understand. They have helicopters. They have TV. They have Spongebob. Why the fuck are they fighting with primitive crossbows? Get some guns. Bombs and torpedos will obliterate mermaids much easier than 20 teenage girls

Also, the first book does not form a complete arc. Its ending is a segway into the second book, which I have no intention of reading. Overall I'd give Ice Massacre a 5/10, which is the minimum score for me to finish a book
>>
>>2918441
The dumb thing is that they were hyping up the mermaids to be strategists who wait to bide their moment with the right tactics to attack. But that didn't happen at all. A theme that is repeated a million times is that the mermaids would wait until 3 seconds before they die to attack properly. Like at the first day they attacked they attacked the crew until the crew's ammo ran out, and would need to go back into the hull to get some more. But they didn't continue their assault, they just left.

The mermaid who attacked the 10 year old protagonist had the power of three men and could throw a rock to smash the rip-cage of someone, but she couldn't strangle a 10 year old before the 10 year old completely mutilated her.
>>
>>2918441
The theme of mermaid x human /u/ sounds amazing. I wish it was done properly. By the way, which /u/ books do you like?
>>
>>2918448
yeah the mermaid tactics were questionable. WTF is the point of sending out attacks in waves? "Let's say a quarter of our forces to attack, then give the enemy time to recover, then send out another quarter." Just send in everything at once.
>>
>>2918455
They apparently also had training in battles, and combat, but the author absolutely showed none of that. She just wanted the 20 girls win all the time, and they did it one time while some of them were high. It's so bad.
>>
>>2918451
When Women Were Warriors, Priory of the Orange Tree (which contains non-negligible amounts of het), and The Dark Wife (contains rape though not to the MCs) are /u/-lit I'd recommend without reserve. I also enjoyed Their Bright Ascendancy, with some reserve. Baru Cormorant is the best book I've ever read, /u/ or not, but it's so miserable I can't possibly recommend it to anyone.

The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics, Empress of Forever, Bloody Rose, The Luminous Dead, Sword of the Guardian - I found these to be middling, but at least I finished them, which is more than I can say for some other books.
>>
>>2918462
How much het are we talking about in Priory of the Orange Tree?
>>
>>2918470
MC's love interest marries a guy for political reasons, has sex with him to get pregnant, and ambiguously falls in love with him before he dies and the fetus also dies.
>>
Is it true that the love interest in this book, has sex with a man? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20886492-her-name-in-the-sky
>>
>>2918514
Yes.
>>
>>2918515
Sweet, fuck it then.
>>
Just read Carmilla, that old-timey 1872 novella about lesbian vampires. Carmilla herself is cute as fuck, even if she is an evil, murderous vampire

>Sometimes after an hour of apathy, my strange and beautiful companion would take my hand and hold it with a fond pressure, renewed again and again; blushing softly, gazing in my face with languid and burning eyes, and breathing so fast that her dress rose and fell with the tumultuous respiration. It was like the ardor of a lover; it embarrassed me; it was hateful and yet over-powering; and with gloating eyes she drew me to her, and her hot lips traveled along my cheek in kisses; and she would whisper, almost in sobs, "You are mine, you shall be mine, you and I are one for ever." Then she had thrown herself back in her chair, with her small hands over her eyes, leaving me trembling.

>Shy and strange was the look with which she quickly hid her face in my neck and hair, with tumultuous sighs, that seemed almost to sob, and pressed in mine a hand that trembled. Her soft cheek was glowing against mine. "Darling, darling," she murmured, "I live in you; and you would die for me, I love you so."

The moments between the two are the greatest things ever, though there's shamefully few of them. The old-timey prose is a headache, but the novella's short

Carmilla ;_;
>>
>>2918448.
>The mermaid who attacked the 10 year old protagonist had the power of three men and could throw a rock to smash the rip-cage of someone, but she couldn't strangle a 10 year old before the 10 year old completely mutilated her.
I realize that this is a weird question, but how did the 10-year-old mutilate the mermaid? If it's pretty violent I might find it just to read that part.
>>
>>2918524
The author found wanted to write a part to show how demonic mermaids are, but didn't know how to make the 10 year old survive. So she made them weak to iron, similar to how vampires are weak to silver. The little girl just held iron to her face. Of course, the 25 year old mermaid was too dumb to keep her face in it, or remove it from the 10 year old's hands.
>>
>>2918526
Oh, that is dumb. I was kinda expecting that the girl tricked the mermaid into walking into a propeller or something. Thanks. But wait, wouldn't they be allergic to the iron in their own blood? But it seems like just one of the many things in the book that makes no sense.
>>
>>2918536
> iron in their own blood?
Jesus, you just destroyed the whole book!
>>
How good is this book? People on amazon say its good, but people on goodreads are shitting on it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6472451-ash?ac=1&from_search=true
>>
>>2918568
I read Huntress, which is by the same author. Attemped to, at any rate. Think like I got 1/3 through before dropping it. Mediocre prose full of shifting POVs. Definition of YA mediocrity
>>
Jenn Alexander a song by the sea anyone?
>>
>>2918568
It's one of the first /u/ books I've read and I one of the only ones I have a physical copy. Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>2918803
>>2918583
Are there any retellings with a /u/ spin that are actually good?
>>
>>2918850
The Raven and the Reindeer by T. Kingfisher (Snow Queen retelling) received a lot of praise in previous threads here. I didn't like it very much but it's not bad either.
>>
>>2918850
The Dark Wife is a retelling of the Persephone myth. It's good. Contains a lot of rape though (but not towards the MCs)
>>
>>2918904
It only has one rape scene, which is surprisingly little seeing how the story involves Zeus.
>>
>>2918920
It has one on-screen rape scene but a lot of implied rape, including Zeus raping Persephone's mother
>>
>>2918931
That's just normal every day life in the Greek pantheon.
>>
Anyone read Dragonoak? I read the first book, and it was okay. It was just SO SLOW. The first half of the book is a pointlessly long journey, and even when the plot starts it's still slow. For all that, the climax comes out of nowhere.

I enjoyed the romance though. There's a lot of shippy moments with girls other than the MC's love interest. The plot is just so slow

Debating whether too continue. Anyone else read it?
>>
>>2919188
>The first half of the book is a pointlessly long journey
The first half of the book is the best half of the book, fight me 1v1, mate. /u/ lit needs more comfy fantasy road trip stories. I'd sacrifice an unborn child or two for a /u/ version of Spice and Wolf, honestly.

>Debating whether too continue
Depends on how well you can handle plot-necessary retardation. Slight spoilers ahead: the second book starts with the MC and her love interest separated, they don't interact for half of the book, the reason for their separation is completely moronic and they miss out on years of living together because of it.

The second book is also much heavier on fantasy YA tropes, and the MC goes from being ignored by the nobility because she's a literal who to hanging out with a foreign queen and drinking tea with one of the most powerful creatures in the world. And she's also chummy with cool pirates, who are somehow different from uncool pirates despite both parties robbing people and sinking ships. But cool pirates are 80% women and are led by a trans character, and uncool pirates are mostly men, so I guess having vaginas justifies jolly good manslaughter and robbery.

I liked the first book, because up until the final part it was a comfy slow burn adventure story. I honestly can't recommend the second book, because it lacked the things that made me enjoy the first one. I think I would've liked it better if the story had at least continued where it left off and we didn't spend half of the book away from the whole dragon stuff, stuck in some pirate town. But your mileage may vary.
>>
>>2919211
Isn't the story about a Tranny?
>>
>>2919211
Any shippy moments with other characters? As much as I like Claire, MC gets shipped with so many characters in the first book it can't be a coincidence
>>
>>2919215
Unless it was revealed in the third book which I only skimmed, I don't think so. The leader of the pirate town is a trans character and there's a race of asexual goatpeople, but that's about all I can remember.

>>2919217
Yes. And by the end of the third book she ends up in some sort of a poly relationship with Claire and the big goat.
>>
>>2919220
>Yes. And by the end of the third book she ends up in some sort of a poly relationship with Claire and the big goat.
looks like I'm sticking through with it

First half of the first book is OBJECTIVELY too slow and OBJECTIVELY boring as fuck, objectively
>>
File: Spoiler Image (110 KB, 396x469)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>2919222
I will OBJECTIVELY stab you, you cheeky cunt.
>>
Goddamn use "they" for trans characters is annoying as fuck. Just use he or she. I thought he/she was also the politically correct pronoun?
>>
>>2919231
No, it's politically correct to call people by whatever pronoun they want you to use. Although, to be honest, I also find "they" annoying, especially when there are multiple characters talking in the same scene.
>>
Tell me, do you guys like this book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43294395-thorn
>>
>>2919271
>first person
Hard yikes
>>
>>2919231
>>2919237
this. reading bitfrost atm and damn dialogues are so confusing. also half the population is trans apparently. also couldn't finish ancillary justice in my native language because the translator decided to use "she" and female pronouns for everybody. impossible to know who the fuck is speaking and what they might look like.

this is especially maddening because those two are otherwise good books.
>>
>>2919374
Impressive reading comprehension. Half the point of Ancillary Justice is that the protagonist can't tell the difference between men and women and thus defaults to narrating everyone with female gender. It's as subtle as a sledgehammer, but apparently still can be missed.
>>
>>2919316
>ignoring an entire genre just because of person
>>
>>2919211
>/u/ lit needs more comfy fantasy road trip stories. I'd sacrifice an unborn child or two for a /u/ version of Spice and Wolf, honestly.
Agreed. I've been looking for books like this for a while. Any recommendations for something similar?
>>
>>2919422
and here I thought reading would make me smart. dammit.
>>
>>2918129
I'm trying one too, but I'm struggling with how the MC realizes the vampire girl is a vampire if I'm trying to make it so that the vampire girl is ashamed of wanting to suck her friend's blood. Lewd sucking on the MC's finger when the MC cuts herself while cooking seems awfully cliche.
>>
>>2919831
May I suggest this story that's totally not my own?
>>2902635
Roadtrip fantasy is a big part of it!
>>
File: dragonoak.jpg (52 KB, 333x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Just finished reading Dragonoak. Prose is workmanship at best, plot is clumsy and at times ridiculously slow, and there is a lot of SJW-ing, but damn if it doesn't have SOUL. And for all the suffering, it ends happily.

Everybody gets shipped with EVERYBODY. Characters who have just met each other get shipped within minutes of meeting. Newly-introduced characters get shipped with old characters. Old characters who have no business even knowing each other get shipped together. The amount of shipping is ludicrous, and frankly, the shipping is the biggest draw of the book. There's a lot of polyamory. Almost every important character ends up part of some sort of love threesome/foursome/fivesome. And nobody ever gets jealous. It reads like the glorious fever dream of a fanfic author, in all the best ways.

There's a lot of trans characters since the author is trans. The most irritating part of this is using "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun.

Overall, I'd give the series a 5/10. It's clumsily-written and painfully slow, especially at the start, and I never would've finished it if not for the sheer amount of shipping, which I enjoyed immensely. The ludicrous amount of shipping makes the series unique

For the purityfags, there's no het to speak of unless you count some of the trans characters, though the MC never gets involved with them. Literally every important character is a lesbian. I don't know how the fuck the population isn't dying off
>>
>>2919271
I just read it. It's pretty good. It's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I've never liked retellings but I enjoyed this one. High level of writing with some poetic lines.

Reminds me a lot of The Dark Wife. Retellings in first person with beautiful prose
>>
Is The Abyss Surrounds us a good book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24790901-the-abyss-surrounds-us
>>
>>2922362
I'm curious about this too
>>
>>2922362
>Pirate Queen

Eh.
>>
>>2922362
cons : average writing, romance is a bad case of stockholm syndrome with no chemistry between the MCs, and to me the heroine's choices and development make absolutely no sense.

pros : the worldbuilding and fight sequences are actually great.

in the ocean of shit, I guess it's one of those bad books that can be worth it, because of its pretty great setting. depends on your standards. I did finish it, even though I wanted to slap the heroine all along.
>>
Can anyone help me out with Rachel spangler 'love all'. Its on mobilism but im unable to use zippyshare from my country
>>
>her wife

name a sexier 2 words in fiction
>>
>>2924140
>her slave
>>
>>2924140
>her bitch
>>
>>2924140
>velvety folds
>quivering quim
>nether lips
>steaming vulva
>honey pot
>tender flower
>silk igloo
>>
File: 1546790835757.png (203 KB, 500x646)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>2924364
>silk igloo
I know this is a red board, but calm down, anon.
>>
>>2924140
holding hands
>>
>mfw reading a book about a black, lesbian, middle-aged, disabled, poor woman engineer who's also a literal shipsexual

It's like the author checked off every item on the minorities checklist and mashed them into one character. There's also a healthy dose of "pharm companies bad, universal heathcare good" thrown unsubtely into the mix. Oh, and one of the crewmembers is a literal furry, the "in all planes except the material I am a wolf" kind.

The book is called Ascension. It's bad. Don't read it. I only read it because of the polyamory tag, except it turned out to be some bizarre form of cuckoldry because polyamory only applied to the MC's love interest and not the MC.
>>
File: She's My Ride Home.jpg (21 KB, 314x475)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
I just read "She's My Ride Home" by Jackie Bushore.

It's a short, cute story with lots of denial and a good dose of "b-but we're both girls!"
I can't say for certain, but I just felt like the author was so angry when writing this. I'm not exactly sure of why, it just seems to come off that way. Even on the fluffy moments, it's kind of weird.
Still, the book was enjoyable. I liked it, but that's about it. It's clichéd in a lot of ways and it also tries to delve into the standard Gay issues, which I think handles quite tastefully. Bear in mind, it's settled a deacade ago in time, so while it can sometimes be annoying, it makes sense for it to be what it is.
It also has some of that last-minute drama so many love stories pull off and FUCK I hate that trope.

Honestly, It's probably not something you haven't read a thousand times. The narrative is simple, the writing almost amateurish.
But it was cute.
>>
Just read Compass Rose, it was pretty good. Lesbian pirates in a Waterworld-esque future. Prose is good and characters are likeable, even if Orca is a cooler love interest, nothing like enemies to friends. Plot is a bit of a mess, but characters > plot. There's no het at all. Overall 7/10
>>
>>2924140
Am I the only one who doesn't like the term wife? I feel like there should be a new word for homosexual pairs.
>>
>>2925685
degenerate other
>>
>>2925685
I've started to like the word "partner" even though it still has the slightly negative connotation of gay peeps using it when they don't wanna stir up shit in a potentially homophobic environment. Probably cause it has that ambiguity element, like "doesn't matter to us whether or not you actually understand the depth of our relationship" or something. It has started sounding more intimate than husband/wife to me at this point.
>>
>>2925685
I don't like it because some authors genuinely believe that normal people would call their significant other "wife" in every other sentence in a casual conversation instead of using their fucking name.
>>
>>2925831
>not calling your wife 'wife' to establish dominance
>>
Is some hetshit at the beginning of a story okay if it's a coming-of-age story where the character is still grappling with her sexuality?
Also in my mind, the presence of het (not with the MC but just present in the story) as the majority makes the yuri content stand out and have more of a forbidden love/against all odds/us against the world type feel.

Will /u/ just straight out not read a story if it's not female only, yuri only all the way through?
>>
>>2924757
>a black, lesbian, middle-aged, disabled, poor woman engineer who's also a literal shipsexual
Oh, no! How dare people like that exist!
>universal heathcare good
It IS good. You need to go back.
>>
any recommendations similar to her name in the sky?
>>
>>2924757
You sound like such a bootlicking chode.
>>
>>2926783
>>2926676
have you even read the book?
>>
>>2926644
it depends on where it is i think if the het is near the end i may as well finish reading it
while i would read a story if its not fully yuri i dont get why it seems that every book needs het
>>
>>2926644
Some people won't read it at all if there's any het, though I feel that's a small minority of yuri/LGBTQ readers. Personally, I don't mind, as long as it's minor
>>
>>2902635
Hey nee-chan, came here to say I loved it and Irika is just too adorable.
>>
>>2927061
Thank ye kindly! Really warms my heart to see people enjoying the shite I write. Next chapter is gonna be a bit late because of life stuff but I'll probably get it out at the very least by the end of the month.
>>
>>2926644
I personally don't care about having het in a story as long as /u/ is the true endgame, though there is a world of difference between het as considered character development and just throwing it in for lazy drama/bait and switch (which happens way too often in this genre).
>>
>>2927225
In my experience the majority of het drama involves rape and sexual violence which I find far more annoying than just het.
>>
>>2927268
>>2927268
Agreed. Unless it's handled extremely well rape is usually the dealbreaker for me when it comes to shitty forced drama in /u/.
>>
>>2918478
>he dies and the fetus also dies.
My kind of happy ending

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.