[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/u/ - Yuri

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 99 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ulit-2020-06.jpg (173 KB, 727x900)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
Discuss, request, and recommend /u/-related /lit/ works!

Previous Thread: >>3234170

------
>Downloads:

ulit Archives 2017 torrent (4670 books, release dates up till December 2017):
http://mgnet.me/.ulit_Archives_2017
https://www62.zippyshare.com/v/MRRmgyvA/file.html

Direct download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gzQIGx4HrkxHph2ejx7WGppv-Og9VkFZ/view?usp=sharing

ulit Archives 2017 Erotica add-on torrent (969 books):
http://mgnet.me/.ulit_Archives_2017_Erotica

------
>How to find books:

Mobilism Search for Lesbian, FF, LGBT, and GLBT keywords:
https://forum.mobilism.org/search.php?keywords=Lesbian+FF+LGBT+GLBT&terms=any&author=&fid%5B%5D=376&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=-1&t=0

Custom Google Search:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=001639227550064093264:dznewka3cca

Downloading from #bookz on IRC:
https://imgur.com/a/AXp2bYW
https://pastebin.com/pwAudzs6

B-OK (Bookzz / ZLibrary):
https://b-ok.org/
https://1lib.eu/

Library Genesis:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
https://libgen.lc/foreignfiction/

------
Outdated recommendations document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18e71t0H7v6olXdY9Ig0giUjnhSt1zltLcLSpj3SxRaI/
>>
File: MyFirstUNovel.png (302 KB, 1309x726)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
New to /u/lit? Here's a small chart to get you started.

Collection download:
https://www114.zippyshare.com/v/vDm0TnLm/file.html
>>
File: Sorting_u_part1.png (582 KB, 4096x1182)
582 KB
582 KB PNG
Oversized Chart Part I
>>
File: Sorting_u_part2.png (463 KB, 4096x1182)
463 KB
463 KB PNG
Oversized Chart Part II

For the most up-to-date version, visit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DHtc4amFKsTXNSR2psaGkxRkU/view
>>
Sorry the chart text is so small. Something must have changed because I couldn't export it with a width larger than 8192 px.

And good news for you cheap fucks. Apparently anon is updating the archives. Here's a list of some of the missing books:
goodreads.com/review/list/58412131-ulibrarian?shelf=ulit-wanted
If you have any, share them in the usual channels. And remember to support your favourite authors.
>>
Reading is gay
>>
please recommend good urban fantasy /u/ books like The One Who Eats Monsters. I really liked that one and the sequel doesn't seem a possibility in the foreseeable future.
>>
>>3273736
>the sequel doesn't seem a possibility in the foreseeable future.
it hurts. 2yrs ago author said it was almost done, where is it casey?
>>
Anyone have American Yakuza IV Blood Honor by Isabella?
>>
does anybody have either of the new chronicles of alsea books? i need them desperately.
>>
Anybody have So Well As You by Lynn Galli?
>>
Not really in the mood for much reading lately, so there's really only two books I've managed to finish ... mostly ...

Debra Hyde - Story of L
BDSM romance undoubtedly totallynotbased on Story of O, presumably; but I haven't read that, so I can't say much about it.

Anyway; couldn't get into it, although I can't explain why. Maybe because the actual domme was kinda absent at the beginning and there wasn't enough fluff around the BDSm stuff, or because the style was a bit odd, I don't know.

A major partner in the sex scenes is a FtM character, so if that bugs people, that's not a plus either.

Layla Lawlor - Hollow Souls
Book 3 in her Gatekeeper series and the last "for now". There's some decisions I wasn't really onboard with and it felt a bit more generic than the first twos (woo, spooky Halloween), but overall it was still solid.

Seemingly wanders off into some het territory temporarily but then comes back for a doubly satisfying conclusion.

Well. For a YA-ish urban fantasy, it's a pretty decent read all in all.
>>
I read a few things that I had been procrastinating on,

Foundryside series. The first one is mostly great. The cast is nothing special but they are likable, the action is over the top and very creative and the plot is always moving. Romance is kinda blink and you'll miss it. The MC talks about how a certain girl is beautiful and near the end tells her that she wants to date when they finish, so it barely qualifies for this thread. Someone said that its basically a cyberpunk story just with tech replaced with magic and yeah I can definitely see that.

The sequel is still pretty fun but its a bit too tied up in its own mythology and magic system.

A Memory Called Empire. This ended up being a lot more mundane than I thought it would be. I was expecting alien weirdness because of the strange character names and Meso-american inspired culture and I was expecting lots of court intrigue because of the early focus on political etiquette and factionalism, but it turned out to just be a political thriller. I did really like it though, is a fun political thriller. The love interest is great and even though they didn't end up together its obvious that this is a series and that they will get together eventually.

Never Tilting World. Its about goddess twins being raised on the opposite sides of a world that has stopped spinning. They both go on adventures to get the middle and complete their destinies. One is a perky genius inventor who moves with a desert tribesman through a desert (this story is het) and the other one is a sickly bookish girl moving with her bodyguard and a group of people through a frozen, monster infested world (this one is gay).

The stories are too separate and only meet at the end so it ends up feeling like two meh stories. At least the lesbian doesn't play second fiddle to the straight girl and her story is rather interesting, if extremely rushed.
>>
Just finished The Tiger's Daughter. Thought it was pretty good.
>>
>>3275819
I like the first book the most for me it goes

Tiger's daughter > Warrior Moon > Phoenix Empress. The second book is honestly a drag to get through but I would reread Tiger's daughter because it's genuinely entertaining.

Also why the fuck did this book get a patch?
>>
>>3275821
I felt some parts of Tiger's Daughter are a bit draggy. It picked up for me more in the second half as they got older. Really liked the ending. Gonna need more time to digest before I can really comment.

Debating what to read next.
>>
>>3275823
I really liked Shefali of the two.
>>
>>3275826
Pretty much, the phoenix princess is more about Shizuka and what she went through when Shefali was gone. We only get to hear about snippets of Shefali's adventures while exiled. I get the point, but it is kind of disheartening to not have a least a novella about it.

The last book where Shefali by pure force of will, says fuck you to being dead and revives as a god was actually really cool. The last book still spends too much time shitting on Shizuka tho
>>
>>3275831
The author seemed to prefer Shefali from the sounds of it. Or didn't know what to do with Shizuka.
>>
>>3275823
first part of Tiger's daughter >>>>>>>>>>>>> rest of the trilogy

adorable little babygays. Their childhood set the bar so high rest of the book seemed shittier in comparison
>>
>>3275835
I honestly think the entire second book should've just been Shefali's adventures being exiled. It continues the theme of being focused on Shefali as a protagonist. Shizuka becoming the secondary protagonist didn't really add much besides seeing her suffer first hand on a constant basis.
>>
>>3275838
>>3275831
It sucks hearing that we only ever get snippets of Shefali's adventure during exile. Is the author gonna write anymore or are they fully done with the series?
>>
What notable SFF releases in the past 6-8 months or so have I missed? Haven't been keeping up on things besides Harrow.
>>
>>3275920
>notable SF /u/
kek

there are none, except Harrow, which is arguably more fantasy than /u/
>>
Looking for /lit/ with teenagers: highschool, junior high, etc. Bonus if it includes lewd scenes.
>>
The Unspoken Name was good. Very tabletop fantasy inspired setting with multiple worlds and gods and races and the like. Its about an orc girl who gets saved from a religious sacrifice by a sorcerer who trains her to be his henchman. Later she meets up with a mage girl and they go an adventure. There's also a neurotic gay dude rival and that is great. I love it when tough lesbians are rivals with over dramatic gay men.

Biggest issue would be some structure stuff I guess. If the story is an RPG then there are three main quests that are barely thematically related and they each have the potential to be expanded into full stories but they come and go. I think there's a sequel coming next year but it may be about the gay guy so I'm not sure if I'll read it.
>>
>>3276067
Miseducation of Cameron Post
First part is FF, second part she gets sent to gay conversion camp.
>>
>>3273300
I'm gonna pick up Kiss the Girl. Are her other books recs as well?
>>
>>3276659
Melissa Brayden has some nice books but you will soon realize they all follow the same formula so are really predictable.
>>
Recommended me a novel with incest.
>>
I'm interested in lesbian aliens invading earth, is there anything at all like that?
>>
>>3276067
Interference, Endgame by Zoe Reed.
Tell Me How You Really Feel
Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
Kat & Mouse by Jacquelyn Heat
Full of Promise by Kate Gavin
200 Hours by Natasha West
Bitter Sweet Revenge by Donna Jay

I vaguely remember liking these
>>
Are there any recent non-YA romance novels in which one character "comes out" or realizes she's gay? I know these types of arcs are a bit out of fashion, and with good reason. But I just enjoy the drama of it all.
>>
>>3276824
TLR has a big list of coming out stories

https://www.thelesbianreview.com/category/book-review/themes/coming-out/
>>
>got an itch
>go to HPB to see what's available
>nothing in the romance section
>ask clerk
>directed to lgbt non-fiction
>half a shelf for lgbt fiction
>it's all gay cowboys

Guess I go to fucking Amazon
>>
>checks goodreads for yuri books
>sees lesbian harem
>reads book 1 it's nice
>book 2 mc is raped for character development reasons
>of fucking course.jpg
Why are all western stories like this?
>>
>>3277461
"Well we would do it if she was the love interest in a straight story so idk what you're complaining about"
>>
>>3277461
>Why are all western stories like this?
Why do you keep going on about this crap?

Also -
> Why is all yuri by male authors shit?
is up next, as apparently these two brainfarts keep getting brought up; so "in before that".
>>
Reccing This Is How You Lose the Time War.

It takes a few chapters to get into, but it's pretty fucking gay and well-written.

It's about Red and Blue, who are time travellers set in opposition to each other. Nemeses-to-soulmates.
>>
File: 50496875.jpg (2.47 MB, 1838x2775)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
>>3276655
>Miseducation of Cameron Post
speaking of which, the author released her new book, and the blurb looks promising, but the miseducation left quite a sour taste. if anyone is ready to take one for the team I'd gladly ask for an opinion on this one
>>
File: yuri_fantasy.png (2.06 MB, 1316x1948)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB PNG
Officially updated the top /u/ fantasy list to include the Kyoshi novels. I just finished reading them and I fully admit I wasn't expecting such absolute bangers from an Avatar spin-off.

Kyoshi is a great MC, reminds me a lot of Korra except she actually undergoes character development. The romance was sweet, though I wished it was further developed. Villains are god-tier, especially in the first book, and plot is similarly great. The prose is good, reaching excellence at times. It's everything you want from /u/ fantasy. There's not even any het (there is a tiny amount at the start but it's completely negligible).
>>
So, the third book in the Gideon series is coming only in 2022. That's a lot of time for a book that was supposedly finished.
>>
>>3278277
that sucks, it's a ridiculously complex series and I'm going to forget everything when the final book comes out
>>
>>3278277
Silver lining is that Muir apparently got a deal for five lesbian cyberpunk books.
>>
>>3278257
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed them. I think I just wish the first was longer and maybe had a section where the group is just adventuring while being outlaws but I understand that it would have killed some pretty good pacing. It was even surprisingly complex morality wise for a story made for kids.
>>
>>3278298
sauce, this is too good to be true
>>
>>3278299
I wish there had been more of Kyoshi/Rangi adventuring before they met the outlaws. Yeah it also would've killed the pacing but gimmee

Complex morality is right. Jianzhu was such an excellent lawful evil guy. He did so, so many things right. What a compelling villain - in fact, I'd argue the most compelling villain in the Avatarverse. Certainly more compelling than the borefest that was Ozai

Series desperately needed a final book to round out a trilogy. Duology just doesn't do Kyoshi justice, especially since it left so many things unanswered and so many things open-ended.
>>
>>3278277
Maybe there are corona complications?
>>
Speaking of Muir, is it true that she's hiding the fact that her partner is a man and that she wrote some sort of a child rape fanfic before?
>>
>>3278563
Some people are bi
>>
>>3278313
Here:

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/tasmyn-muir-on-gideon-the-ninth-the-locked-tomb-trilogy-spec-fic
>>
>>3278563
Seems like a weird thing to hide given the rest of the internet is unlikely to care about it the way anons do.
>>
>>3278018
What didn't you like about Miseducation?
>>
>>3278563
I'm sure this isn't an exaggeration or misunderstanding
>>
>>3278699

It's just that I heard that someone tried to add that she has a husband on her wiki page but it got deleted immediately.
>>
>>3278719
That happens when people try to lie about things on the internet.
>>
>>3278313
announced on twitter today

>>3276711
into the forest by jean hegland rape warning
>>
>>3278750
Which kind?
>>
>>3278719
>she has a husband on her wiki page
who even gives a shit, she's allowed to marry whoever she wants and write about whatever she wants
>>
>>3278632
Who are these perfect lesbians she’s talking about?
>>
>>3279168
Im one of them
>>
>>3278826
True. I don't think she would care to hide that fact either. In fact I think she hints that her partner is a woman on her twitter?

https://twitter.com/tazmuir/status/1318865917250572288?s=20

>>3278563
She wrote homestock fanfiction that included a rape scene with a minor iirc so people were trying to cancel her. But reading it seemed like more a self-test of her writing ability than her glorifying it.
>>
>>3279283
The Internet truly brings out the most retarded in people.
>>
>>3278826
Well yes. I think the issue being raised is about her misidentifying as a lesbian when in fact she is a bi (and that her books are being marketed as written by a lesbian??)

>>3279283
I see. She probably divorced the husband then.

https://twitter.com/tazmuir/status/650396880682250241?lang=en
>>
No one owes anybody an explanation of their sexuality ever
especially not to fucking weirdos on the internet
>>
>>3279353
Interesting. She said she dedicated the book to her spouse. Looking at my copy of Gideon it's to pT. She refrained from calling it her husband but also didn't use the full name or pronouns to describe said spouse. INTERESTING.
>>
AJ Hackwith - The Archive of the Forgotten
Sequel to a quite solid adventure about an archivist working in hell's library. Unfortunately doesn't deliver on the /u/. As it's a series I'll give it a reasonably large chance it later will (author also writes /u/ romance, among other hints), but it might also not. Who knows.

Anyway, didn't think this was too great. While the first one mostly focused on the heroine, with the rest of the cast in supporting roles, this one gives more of an "ensemble" feel ...
... resulting in endless POV changes (there's four, with relatively short chapters). Worse, every chapter starts with a logbook entry, chopping up the narrative even further.

And then I simply didn't think the story was too interesting. But the prose is good, and the setting very creative, so hopefully future books will be better again (the first one certainly is worth a read, even if there's also not more than a hint of /u/).
>>
>>3278696
mostly the absence of closure I guess ? Cameron goes through some shit, and Mark too and this part kind of really hit home. I mean, the book is realistic, bigots and abusers rarely get to pay for what they do, and we have to learn from that and live with it. That's life.

But I'm naive, I guess I whished for a bit of resolution, and for Cam to go home to Coley for some kind of face-off and closure. But this book was not the kind that gets such an ending.

>>3278750
one of the sisters gets raped and knocked up by a stranger iirc.
there was a movie adaptation, but I did not care to watch it. wonder if they kept the incest part.
>>
>>3280169
>wonder if they kept the incest part
They didn't.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.6 MB, 4032x3024)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
My first f/f novel. Ice Queen skier meets a laid-back snowboarder with rock-hard abs at an Olympic training center. Each is the underdog due to reasons, each pushes the other to get better.

It's absolutely amazing. I'm halfway through and there's no sex yet but goddamn is the dialogue perfect.
>>
>>3280169
100% agree about the ending. In a way, I'm glad she didn't go back to Coley. She threw Cameron away at the first sign of trouble in order to save herself.
Cameron got to grow and move on while Coley will remain in that hell forever.
>>
>>3280578
How often are those abs felt up?
>>
Anyone here read anything by Sarah Waters? I read Fingersmith and thought it was pretty good all things considered, although it did not have as much explicitly /u/ content as I had been led to believe. Right now I'm about halfway through Tipping the Velvet and am enjoying it a lot more. The romance is very sweet and the sex-scenes are just explicit enough. Plus the setting and the stuff about cross-dressing and gender is interesting.
>>
>>3280585
Haven't gotten there yet but the skier is mad thirsty for them.
>>
>>3280605
I haven't read her books but I have seen the TV adaptations of Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith, and I loved both of them. I wonder how faithful those are to the books.
>>
>>3281007
Fingersmith is pretty spot on so I guess Tipping the Velvet is aswell.

I would't recommend watching Affinity though.
>>
>>3280605
I did read Tipping the Velvet and enjoyed it, it's well written and the characters have depth. I remember almost feeling contempt towards the protagonist at a certain point.
>>3281007
>>3281095
While for the most part the mini series is faithful to the source there are some, a lot actually, differences that make it worse and change the characters. It's ok but it could've been better.
>>
>>3280605

There's also The Nightwatch (there is a tv adaptation of this one too), but it didn't leave me a striking memory.
And The Paying Guest isn't that bad.
>>
>>3277461
whats the series called so i can avoid it
and can you recommend any good lesbian harem novels? preferably with, like zero het. or close to zero het.
>>
>>3273696
Reading can be lesbian too

Enjoying Olivia atm
>>
just finished the chronicles of alsea and a memory called empire

chronicles of alsea - id probably describe this as like.. simplistic? i felt the prose was decent and the storyline was perfect for me, romance that made me feel good and lots of new and interesting things to hold my attention. id recommend to anyone who likes large character focused space operas with happy endings

a memory called empire i dont know how to feel about. i enjoyed reading it the whole way through, even if it felt a bit short - the whole story happens over like a week - but the ending felt inconclusive and there is barely any romance in it.

>>3275431
>its obvious that this is a series and that they will get together eventually.
you think so?
>>
A.E. Radley and E.S. Radley - Ice Cream Wars

The two of them ask for reviews at the start of the book, so here we go.

Complete and utter tosh. The two main characters are baffling stereotypes, one a bitchy snob whose ice cream - I'm sorry, GELATO - apparently nobody likes and when she gets competition her reaction to that is to, in turn, insult, bully, harass, spread rumors, destroy their livelihood and finally to accuse them of sleeping their way to success. Said competition meanwhile is the literal lolrandom internet teen allegedly grown up, whose entire life revolves around ice cream and who finds baffling success with anything she sets her mind to.
And somehow, even though the snob does things to the airhead that, in anything approaching real life, would land her in jail, the two somehow end up falling in love.
The novella pretends to be slapstick but forgets to be funny along the way and by the end of it you don't want them to fall in love, you want the snob to realize what a horrible person she is and jump face first into a wood chipper.
Add in a "gross male" archetype just so the authors can hop up and down on their soapbox and scream feminist buzzword at the reader and you've got yourself a Triple Decker Diarrhea Delight of shit.
1/10, deleted after I finished reading and the only reason I finished reading it was because it was a literal 40 minute read.
>>
>>3282126
I don't think authors read reviews posted on 4chan, unfortunately.
>>
>>3282126
I take that you liked it then.
>>
>>3282126
Are they both described as feminine and beautiful? If so I’ll read it.
>>
>>3280605
Only read the Night Watch which I loved and is apparently one of her weaker works.
>>
Megan Hart & Brenda Murphy - Soul Burn
Two erotic short stories; basically both with an element of "reversal" as in both cases they are about a powerful shifter submissive and their human lover/mistress.
Eh, they were okay. I liked the idea, but the writing wasn't that great (or sexy). But, still. Okay.

Joseph R Lallo - Contaminant Six
... still can't quite believe the series went /u/. Another adventure of the likable crew, but I feel this one played up the whole "we're the crew that overcomes all impossible odds!" a bit too much.
I also felt that the conclusion overall was a bit lame. Done, fixed, moving on. The theme had more to offer.
For those who just want a bit of action adventure it's still fun enough. And the /u/ couple is just great, even if the romantic aspects basically never are a central topic.
>>
>>3282006
unironically baru
>>
>>3285650
I'm really glad the third book turned out this way.
>>
Goodreads hivemind is actually pretty accurate. I just realized that my favorite /u/ books are almost all rated 4 stars or higher
>>
>>3286926
Good books getting deserved good ratings is rarely the issue. Shit books also getting good ratings is what tends to make review pages pointless.
>>
Roo I Macleod - Loads of Trouble
I like this kind of novel. Crazy heroine, everything's gritty, dirty, crude and violent ... not some stupid pseudo-edgy stuff but just a story from a shithole part of town with characters that actually act that way.

This is some sort of mystery...ish story with a heroine that's just run away from a mental hospital and now finds out that her brother has been murdered. Given that she's crazy, constantly drunk and on drugs, talking to her dead brother (the other one), frequently gets beaten over the head or otherwise passes out and her only allies are characters like a whore in a wheelchair that isn't exactly your standard investigation, but when you can hear other people's thoughts (or at least think you can) solving murder mysteries kinda gets easier ...

Setting is some sort of "Totally-Not-England" dystopia; basically the real one post Brexit with an extra dose of homophobia and violence and so on.

Prose has some issues, but is serviceable enough given that the narrator is, again, a crazy girl. Does enough to sell her anyway.

Basically all characters have some LGBT thing going on but the /u/ content is fairly low. Start of a series, not sure where it'll go with the heroine's interests (if anywhere at all). Ending was a bit of a letdown, but I guess the next pick will up there.

It's not that great but the sort of thing I personally enjoy.
>>
Forget This Ever Happened by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Promising start that quickly goes into "holy shit this is dumb" territory. Plot is one of the stupidest, most nonsensical things I've ever read. Everything that happens is borderline non-sequitur, and the final reveal is hands-down the dumbest final reveal I've ever read.

Characters are fine with a surprisingly large chunk of the story dedicated to the /u/. Prose is very digestable. Honestly the only reason I finished it was because it reads fast and it's short
>>
Beyond the Ruby Veil by by Mara Fitzgerald

Thoroughly unremarkable first-person YA fantasy. Worldbuilding makes no sense, MC is a giant dumbass despite supposedly being 400 IQ fourth-dimensional chess player, her supporting male best friend has zero backbone and is even more unlikable. It's supposedly enemies-to-lovers and there's some shippy moments, but the story is obviously incomplete and they don't get to lovers to even friends yet. Overall not worth a read, I honestly can't tell you why I did.
>>
Hey, I haven't been around since Gideon the Ninth was the new big thing. And I see, a lot has happened since.

I've noticed there's a sequel now. How is it? The first one was not great but okay, which means it's among the best ulit out there. Also noticed there's a ton of new Tales of Inthya books. Daughter of the Sun was nice, I hope the ones after are nice too but the covers don't look too hot. Eats Monsters still has no sequel, Baru has an other sequel, honestly don't care too much for either. There's also a Foundryside sequel with reviews saying the romance is greatly expanded upon. I was very much looking forward to this one but apparently it's an even slower burn than the first one, so I have mixed feelings.

Have there been any promising new series in the last year or so? What's the new hotness?
>>
File: Reserved.png (24 KB, 134x118)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>3288837
>What's the new hotness?
I'm gonna be the new hotness.
>>
>>3288843
>I'm gonna be the new hotness.
And you are reserved for me? Nice.
>>
>>3288837
Harrow is a worthy sequel to Gideon while being nothing like Gideon

Baru sequel is literally lesbian harem

Never cared for Inthya or Foundryside, and yes, lack of a sequel to The One Who Eats Monsters hurts me as much as it hurts you

Nothing new to stir up the pot. No new noteworthy /u/ series in over a year (since Gideon). If you're a fan of Avatar, the Kyoshi novels are worth a read
>>
>>3288843
If it's genre fiction you've already lost.

Just sayin'.
>>
>>3285741
Is there really a lesbian harem int he third baru book?
This is tragic as I thought the second book was dire and didn't want to have to read the new one.
>>
Any good bdsm?
>>
>>3289109
Pretty much yeah. Think of the second book as an extension of the third book.
>>
File: OU_EXS_PCFA256-001.jpg (68 KB, 767x944)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Thinking About Her by Ophelia Alexander

Took a shot in the dark based on an amazon reading recommendation and I'm glad I did. The novel isn't perfect, but compared to other YA trash it's really quite good. The MC is shy and sometimes you just want to hug her and tell her everything is going to be okay. The LI has a fun personality and seems to have her shit together. It's an opposites attract, coming of age, high school YA book and pretty much checks all the boxes you would assume a novel of that style does. There's nothing here a seasoned reader won't expect but the twists are at least engaging if not clever.

There's some parental abuse which was a bit of a turn off but it felt realistic and not overly dramatized.

It's a nice slice of life book about coming out with a _________happy_______ ending. It's a book I wish I could give to fifteen-year-old me.
>>
>>3289275
I feel like I've read this story many times already.
>>
>>3289454
No, only once. I've moved on to Ice Massacre because who doesn't love mermaids?
>>
>>3289477
>Ice Massacre
Don't even bother.
>>
>>3289109
she fucks 4 women, flirts outrageously with a 5th, and orgasms in the presence of a 6th
>>
File: CXqH2O8WcAAESIS.jpg (77 KB, 640x753)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>3273299
Y`know sisters, for a while now (months) I`ve been trying to rise above trashy lesfic. I`ve been trying to read classic literature. With no success. No matter how good this classic and timeless book is, I just want to read about lesbians. I feel like one those people who love trashy romcoms or adam sandler movies but maybe that`s who I am, an idiot. Sorry for the blog post.

Anyway, should I read Wolfsbane Winter or Empress of Forever?
>>
>>3291132
>classical literature
Read Dangerous Liaisons by Laclos. I love it so much I've read it twice.
>>
>>3289221
>Think of the second book as an extension of the third book.
This does not inspire confidence but I will struggle on.
>>
>>3290307
The more I hear about Baru, the happier I get that I stopped after the first book.
>>
>>3291587
I get what you mean, the series completely change after the book 1 for the worse, but it's still top tier /u/ and I'm in it for the whole ride. The biggest reason I like it is for the prose which hasn't changed much
>>
Frankly, Baru is a shitty misery-porn version of A Memory Called Empire, and people should just read that instead.
>>
>>3291783
>Baru is a shitty misery-porn version of A Memory Called Empire

Did you read the third book?
>>
>>3291786
Yes, and one moment of triumph was not worth the slog.
>>
>>3291787
Did you really expect a book that ended with her killing her lover to be all sunshine and roses? It's not the one moment of triumph you're reading for. It's the development that leads Baru to recover have set up her victory without conforming to what anyone else wanted her to do.
>>
>>3291783
Agreed. Cannot get aboard the baru bandwagon at all.
>>
Some trash ...

Susan English - Callisto 2.0
Heroine joins a science project to found a woman-only colony of sorts (well, that's not the explicit goal at first). Anyway, it's badly written; flat characters, zero depth. Much as I'd like more decent women-only feminist literature this isn't it.

Freyah McGrath - Daughter of None
This is one of those "Owned by the Barbarian Chieftain" romances, just with lesbians. I wanted to know how bad it is, and it's very bad - didn't manage to get very far into it. Starts with the goddess appearing to the heroine and telling her she's supposed to go to some women and always be perfectly loyal and obedient to her.
How romantic.
But it's unsurprisingly also badly written anyway, irrespective of the contents.

DL Miles - The Argent Star
Scifi story about a family claiming a planet ... there's basically this dictatorial Empire and they discover an independent colony and then the family claims that planet. But the heroine of course is a bit skeptical about the legality and why the local population would be happy with that ...
But she's an annoying Mary Sue-ish character and the entire progression is pretty juvenile. Didn't get far into this either. Might turn out okay later; it wasn't as awful as the others.

Alex Thompson - Lobster Hearts and Cormorant Necks
A bizarro short story. Heroine discover bizarre body mods as a fashion thing and so ... yeah, they are doing some weird shit. Anyway, spoiler, she ends up as a lobster.
>>
>>3291783
A Memory Called Empire has almost no /u/ to speak of, there's like 1 page of it at the end
>>
>>3291851
Still better rep than Baru.
>>
>>3292103
Why do you have such a hardon for hating on Baru? lol
>>
>>3292103
Baru had MC and her lover (first book) both as explicit lesbians, non-bisexual, never expressed any interest in dudes, never been in any relationships with dudes, never been raped, etc. The concept of gays formed a huge part of the book, and the lesbian relationship is core to the book - arguably the most important part. You cannot get better lesbian rep than Traitor
>>
>>3292141
>Creates a evolutionary theory on why society needs lesbians in the third book.

Bitter anon is just upset that Baru is too based of an MC
>>
>>3291825
why do you do this to yourself
>>
>>3292103
Baru and Tain Hu’s tragic, fucked up romance was so good. I want my f/f relationships to be layered, complicated and compelling. I don’t need or want all my f/f content to be happy, fluffy and devoid of conflict.
>>
>>3292312
>Made a tulpa waifu of tain hu unconsciously in order to erase the brain washing done by farrier

Peak kino novel that brainlets can't cope with
>>
>>3278257
Do you have a link to it anywhere? I tried finding it on amazon, but they don't have an ebook version
>>
>>3292330
Managed to find it: https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/animepiracy/comments/d5dj3t/sorry_if_not_anime_looking_for_a_pdf_to_download/
>>
>>3292310
Doesn't cost anything, and there's always the chance for something fun.

I mean, come on. You can't say you aren't at all curious about a book that features turning into a lobster, surely ...
>>
Which you think have better overall quality - Japanese lesbian literature or Western lesbian literature?
>>
>>3292426
>Japanese lesbian literature
First they'd need to work on making that actually, well, exist, outside of shitty web novels and web novel adaptations.
>>
>>3292330
https://1lib.eu/ has them
>>
Baru must be the ultimate litmus test. If you didn't love Traitor, you have shitty taste.
>>
>>3292416
Not that anon but I'd rather see posts about books WORTH reading. Seems to me this thread is about 80% about shitty books. Not really helpful.
>>
>>3292676
There’s some suggestions of worthwhile books. You just need to read a ton of negative reviews.
>>
>>3292426
Japan is still trying to figure out what a lesbian is. Yuri trash started off as 'gals being EXTRA GOOD pals' and has now more or less become non-sexual fetish material for purefags. Only in the past year or so have I seen japanese yuri stuff that feels like it could be about actual humans.
>>
Anyone else notice that sometimes authors go really in-depth in regards to a character doing their job and their internal thoughts that it reads more like a manual? I get that they're trying to show that they've done their research about it, but I don't wanna read 2 pages of troubleshooting wifi issues or how a photographer might change settings on her camera as she takes a photograph in manual mode.
>>
I was wondering, where can I write and post for amateur purposes? I have kindle account since everyone went for it, but I prefer a site where I could post chapter by chapter. Adultfanfiction is pretty much dead so I ponderered, where to now?
>>
>>3293437
archiveofourown.org/
Most of the works on ao3 are fanficion related, but you can post your own original content as well.
>>
>>3293437
fictionpress.com
companion of fanfiction.net
>>
Any recommendations for a fun, light read with protagonists that have good chemistry?
I've been reading way too much heavy shit and stuff where I never really felt the connection between the main couple.
>>
>>3293571
Atramentum by MJ Duncan!
>>
Is Tiger's Daughter like When Women Were Warriors? I love that trilogy.
>>
>>3295258
Nope. Can't compare, shouldn't compare.
>>
>>3295258
Tiger's Daughter is about two princesses who realize that they are basically folktale heroes / gods and have to fight demons. Only thing similar to WWWW is the emphasis on telling and keeping folk stories.
>>
>>3291217
what is it about?
>>
>>3288850
not the same anon but i heard gideon is basically mia in harrow and they're both "not themselves" with harrow succumbing to grief from losing gideon and, consequently, losing her mind, while gideon sort of comes back through harrow's body but with amnesia? all of that just kind of makes me feel like there's not enough reward for me to sit through nonsense for the first three quarters of the book. do they at least have a reunion of some sort?
>>
>>3296023
that's not quite what happens. During the Lyctor process, Harrow eventually would've devoured Gideon. To save Gideon, she removed her memory of Gideon, which is why Gideon is missing for 70% of the book. Gideon comes back but there's no reunion IIRC, they're still separated by weird soul magic
>>
Have anyone read Beloved Pilgrim? I know it's going to be medieval misery porn but I want to hear other people's thought about it (without spoilers) before diving into it.
>>
I'm listening to the kyoshi novels right now. While reading some trivia on kyoshi it says she had a daughter named Koko. I'm just finishing up the first book where the fuck did Koko come from? Think they will retract that now that she has two novels?
>>
>>3296873
Kyoshi lived for 250 years and the immortal guy from the novels shows that it was likely because she simply stopped aging because of willpower. I think its likely that she had a male lover after Rangi's death and in my head he was probably a casual fling or basically a sperm donor.
>>
>>3296901
the more I think of it I consider it possible her daughter was adopted because she herself was adopted. She had a general disdain for blood ties seeing how people mistreated her for it. And how she was influenced by the Daofei who were sworn together as a family made from zero blood ties and all oaths.
>>
>>3296873
there's a lot the books don't explain, Koko being one of them. This is one of the reasons why I was so surprised the books stopped after 2, nothing in the original AtlA kyoshi was explained
>>
A bit late for October anything notable with a horror theme to it? (not like, "oh I'm a sexy tortured vampire" stuff)

>>3296901
Practically in pre-modern societies gender was far more of a spectrum, so either of those wouldn't be surprising.
>>
>>3291132
>sisters
Wait, hold on, don't tell me I'm the only guy here.
>>
>>3297667
Nah it's a larp, it's /u/ custom to call anons sisters/oneechans regardles of their actual gender
>>
>>3297607
>that spoiler
Highly recommend you kill yourself
>>
File: file.png (69 KB, 468x365)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>3293649
kinda yikes
>>
>>3298615
Are you yikes-ing about the goofy prose or the dog therein?
>>
>>3298615
Wow, on a trope bingo card that'd be an instant winner
A. Career obviously always makes women unhappy and lonely (who'd want to be with somebody rich and successful)
B. Inherit something (bookstore, bakery, farm ...)
C. Move back to hometown (bumfuck nowheresville)
D. Pets (dogs, cats, horses, never anything interesting)
E. "Quirky" meeting (crash into neighbor, sick pet, car trouble)
F. Some stupid reason why they can't just fuck each other
>>
>>3298660
Referring to a dog's owner as its mother/father.
>>
Does anyone know any white collar-type work environment romance where one of the ladies isn't the baddest/most intense/coldest? Basically romance between two relatively normal and realistic people without a big power gap.
Months of wfh has me missing my office. :-(
>>
>>3299177
I honestly can't think of any office romance without a relatively big power gap. Well, there's one that I can think of but I wouldn't say it's normal nor is it very realistic; The Beard by Anne Keaton. Also this book technically falls under erotica, perhaps not everyone's cup of tea.

After racking my brain for a bit I came up with two more, uh, weird suggestions;
Venus Envy by Rita Mae Brown
Car Pool by Karin Kallmaker
Neither fit bill 100% though, since office romance appears to be a synonym for power gap.

>Months of wfh has me missing my office. :-(
You miss the place/crowd or someone specific you work with? Do not stray down that dark path sis...
>>
So I'm pretty heavily into lighthearted romance novels, but I seem to be stuck in a rut lately. I've been binging on Erik Schubach, but it turns out that branching out from him is surprisingly difficult. As in, everything else I find is either about horribly written horrible characters or about women in their late thirties acting like women in their mid-twenties. I am sick to death of forty-year-olds with connections to old money making irrational life decisions.
Half of all lesbian novels also seem to be written by women who can't go a whole three hundred pages without getting on their soapbox and whining about misogynists or rape culture or whatever.
Also I swear to Christ Maggie Cummings is just Robin Alexander feeling the need to write under a pseudonym when writing stories not set in Baton Rouge.
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm currently looking at Melissa Brayden's stuff and hoping it's not more of the same shit.
>>
>>3299177
Not in book form, but Mira's Office Lady mangas might be right up your alley.
>>
>>3299444
>Erik Schubach
if that's your idea of a good novel boy do I have good news for you
>>
>>3299507
He's not good. He's comfy. But somehow most romance novels I've read so far were actually worse than his, or at least worse than his better work. Robin Alexander's Dear Me was a breath of fresh air though.
>>
>>3299444
Try Mia Archer?

Btw Melissa Brayden's stuff always always has break ups in the middle or near the end
>>
>>3299507
Post some good novels. For real, I want a good book to read.
>>
>>3300123
Her stuff sounds absolutely perfect, thank you.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I can deal with the forced-drama-because-you-need-some-for-a-romance-novel so long as the ending isn't some tragic nonsense.
>>
>>3300140
Also try these:

Abby Crofton - Say Yes to The Cheerleader
Bella Donnis - Trapped (If you like this you'd also like Lyn Gardner - Ice)
>>
>>3300143
>Lyn Gardner
That reminds me that the Layce Gardner collabs with Saxon Bennett are usually low-drama sometimes-even-mildly-amusing books. Gigolo Girl, Tats and Tats Too ...
>>
>>3300136
Schubach does mostly scifi/fantasy IIRC. If you want good recommendations for /u/ fantasy, a list has already been posted this thread it's around here somewhere
>>
>>3300216
He's got a bunch of contemporary novel series too. Music of the Soul series, Flotilla series (I think), Unleashed series ...

I've read none of them, but there should be 40 or 50 or so.

How many has that man written overall by now anyway? Gotta be close to a 100. Unfortunately, he's not some sort of literary genius ...
>>
>>3300218
He's well over 100 now. He's no genius but his more recent work is actually not that bad. His early stuff has that charmingly earnest quality that makes fanfiction so fun to read but his more recent stuff is actually pretty decent. Just don't read the stuff in between those two phases like Progeny, Girl Next Door or those godawful Drakon books. The first three The Pike books are all pretty fun reads and his Unleashed books are just straight up dumb fun.
The main advantage of his books is that you are 100% free from soapbox tangents with him. No political bullshit, just cute girls doing cute things. He just has a total hard-on for the "noble homeless person" trope.
>>
File: cover.jpg (124 KB, 858x1434)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Ancient Ruins.

Anons weren't kidding when they said this was clearly inspired by Kuroinu. Author also apparently stole the dungeon protag from another original work apparently right down to the tree.

I think my breaking point was when it got to the slave empire sending soldiers to go capture/enslave the sleeping elven goddess Medaea (whom I am calling Celestine Lucross in my head). She is for some reason left in a monastery with nothing more than 70 elven priestesses to guard her in the middle of nowhere but also close enough to enemy territory that they can send a few squads to go capture her. They send in an invisible soldier to go poison the food with a sleeping drug before going in and then I just closed the reader.

Celestine was vastly better guarded than this. She was instead located in the largest & most populated city of the Alliance with three walls, a moat, and a keep all of which was defended by thousands of armored knights. There is even a river nearby with access to the sea. Medaea's situation reads far more like a porno somehow than Celestine's.

The evil humans are all hyper competent and powerful and the elves are all useless and easily defeated/captured. Also despite living all that time to practice magic can't figure out any of the human slaving magic. Lots of scenes where they focus on this one slaver mind wiping and defiling off screen this single elf we know nothing about. Author was clearly jacking off whilst writing these scenes and the Goddess scene. Dawn elves are all high elves and dusk elves are anime brown elves.

I imagine the only reason the elves haven't all been raped in later books is because the dungeon protag is uber strong. This whole thing reads like an early Kuroinu fanfic where if a girl tries to tie her shoes and the protag isn't around to help she will get instantly raped.
>>
File: 1596583000946.jpg (65 KB, 500x700)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>read some reviews for a book with an interesting cover
>see this
>A dyslexic bisexual protagonist and a fat lesbian protagonist in YA fantasy? Yes please! Also, normalizing specifying a character's race when they're introduced: love that.
>>
>>3301403
How do these people even function?
>>
How do you deal with writer's block?
I have good ideas but, when it comes to actual writing, I freeze. Like, my mind goes blank.
>>
>>3301667
The consensus among actual writers is: you write. Anything. Until the actual story comes back in. But you write and write.
>>
>>3301667
Take time off and do something else. Not thinking about it for a bit does it for me.
>>
>>3301676
>>3301677

My idea was, the love story between a shrine maiden that is of foreign origin with a japanese deity, the white serpent.
Other than this, mind is blank.
>>
>>3301667
I read. Usually something NOT of the same genre of what I'm writing. Reading outside the bounds of your genre gives good ideas.
>>
>>3301690
There's a VN with almost this exact plot.
>>
>>3301690
Sounds like you're a long way away from having writer's block because you're still in the rough draft stage. Try to develop the characters beyond archetypes, create a scenario, imagine the pivotal points of the story and build around those.
>>
>>3301667
>How do you deal with writer's block?
Two ways, one is immediately, do what >>3301676 said. You're obviously capable of writing, since you wrote the post, so get to it. No excuse.
The other way is long term planning. Set up a schedule, something that works for you, say Mon Wed Sat 6pm-9pm you write, no excuses. If it's 6:30pm on a Wed and you've been staring at a blank screen, close the "The novel I'm publishing.docx" and open "Random notes.docx" then start writing a parody of your original story. Maybe something like...
>Miko is a dumb bitch, because she moved to Japan without even knowing a single word of the language. Her real name isn't even Miko, it's Jessica, and now that her comfy upper middle class mom&dad bank ran out, she's been bawling her eyes out next to this shrine she can't even read the name of. Never mind the fact that she missed the translated English tourist panel right next to the Japanese one. Shizuka has been angrily staring at her for a few minutes now, being a novice priestess at the temple in charge of cleaning the shrine, she had no time for this BS...
If you keep up a schedule like this, and actually write when you're supposed to, you should eventually condition yourself into a writing mindset.

TL;DR Just fucking write.
>>
Any GL novels that have a mixture of angst and hurt/comfort? Something that can softly kill me inside
>>
>>3301690
Write the parts you wanted to write the most first and fill in the blanks later.
>>
>>3301966
How much hurt and angst is too much hurt and angst? Currently reading Melissa Brayden's Strawberry Summer. Not my cup of tea but it fits your description.
If you can go for a lot of hurt then Erik Schubach's A Deafening Whisper might be something for you but the happy ending in that one is a bit too esoteric for my liking.
>>
>>3301966
Look into some of Max Ellendale's books. I don't think I've really seen her mentioned here much. The Four Points Trilogy might be a good start; there's also like 5+ romance books with a similar hurt/comfort tone within the same 'universe'. Tends to focus on protagonists with troubled pasts and their journey towards healing and happiness.
>>
Linda North - Wind and Dream
... supposedly version 2.0, but if there's a difference I haven't noticed (well, it's been a few years).

"Classic" romance - the white women gets captured (aka "rescued") by the Egyptian ruler-type and they fall in love. Some mild poly themes; but it's not really doing much with it, except that it's the main hurdle in the relationship.

Otherwise it's pretty low drama; there's a tiny bit of plot (a jealous rival of sorts) but it doesn't offer much. It mostly goes on about the setting, I guess - if you're into that it's okay, otherwise it's overall just dull.
>>
Sorry to bother you, is HighWay IRC offline? Or rather, does anyone still uses it?
>>
>>3302959
IRCHighway is still alive. I've gotten most books off it.
>>
>>3302972
So it's a me problem then, tried to connect and it didn't work, was able to connect to the alternative. Thanks!
>>
I fell for the audible sale. Any slightly or very erotic romance titles in their library from the last two years that are worth the monthly cred?
>>
I've reached this point of 'if the cover is shit the book is shit'.
>>
>>3303282
I like that. We as a lesbian lit community should be able to turn our nose up at books now.
>>
Good reads is such a shitty site for finding books. Why is this the standard? I just want something with a good search bar so I can narrow shit down to what I absolutely want to read.
>>
>>3301433
I always wonder what percentage of society they are, since they're so common on the internet.
>>
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54879663-synclair

I've probably finished 99% of the books I've started, but this shit is just so weird, I don't even know what the author is talking about.

I knew there would be some talk of religion and finding yourself, but I was mostly expecting some ya highschool stuff with a slow romance bits of religion here and there.
Instead, 80% of what I've read so far is about some weird meditation shit, witches, symbols, imagining your own gods and what they look like.
Then there's some weird hazing thing at a house party where the MC ends up undressing herself while blindfolded in a room full of girls, but she felt in tune with her goddess or something so she didn't feel awkward, despite never being naked in front of anyone before.

None of the characters talk like 17-year olds, since literally all of them have some deep thoughts on religion and mysticism and so on, and they talk about it a lot, as I've mentioned.
I don't know about you, but at that age I'd talk about my hobbies or whichever tv show was popular at the time.
>>
>>3303282
I dunno, one of the best things I've read this year had an absolutely horrendous cover (though it's definitely not /u/ related).
My "into the trash it goes" list includes:
>all the characters nearing 40 (no, Robin Alexander, I do not need a scene where the MC and her friends talk about their tits getting saggy in their old age)
>an unironic comment about straight men being the root of all evil
>a male strawman character being used as an excuse for the author to pull out her soapbox
>author bio is just "[author] lives in [open-minded metropolis] with her [girlfriend/wife] and their [family pet] and spends her time writing and doing [unobjectionable hobby]"
>>
If anyone wanted to know how Shatter the Sky's sequel ended, know that it ends in het. This was extremely obvious when a book marketed as being about a girl trying to save her girlfriend mostly had her interacting with and crushing on a guy so I'm not really torn up about it.
>>
>>3304293
>author bio is just "[author] lives in [open-minded metropolis] with her [girlfriend/wife] and their [family pet] and spends her time writing and doing [unobjectionable hobby]"
I don't think I've ever bothered to read an author bio. Am I missing out?
>>
>>3304293
That's why I've completely cut out all contemporary books unless it has fantasy in it.
>>
>>3304296
absolutely disgusting. Why even spend so much time setting up a lesbian romance only to completely ignore it? I could tell the first book was shit even without the lesbians though
>>
>>3304293
boggles my mind people write /u/ novels involving women 60+. Nobody likes old people, not even old people like old people
>>
>>3303409
I know right? What a complete garbage fire
>>
>>3304296
Thank you for the heads up even though I had already skipped the first one.
>>
>>3304293
I think a lot of these reviewers are in their 40s, which is why they all love age-gap stories or romances with characters in their 40s.
I enjoy books with characters in their 20s the most.
>>
>>3304416
You mean you’re not actively checking whether the book notes/bio across different books from the same author form a story of its own?
>>
New Sam Farren is out. Can't say I remember much about the first part of the Spirit-Sword thing, but at least solid prose can be expected.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.