[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 900x.jpg (181 KB, 900x506)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
Is Nintendo's shitty online really worth paying $20 a year for?
Nintendo games don't have dedicated servers, so why should it cost anything in the first place?
>>
>>423962956
No, not really. Unless you care about cloud saves.
>>
>>423962956
The same is said for both the Microsoft and Sony consoles. The answer is because enough people are willing to pay it and it worked bloody well for Microsoft and the 360. There are no dedicated servers, there are ads on the dashboard, and they have no problem taking a portion of sales from devs/publishers.
>>
>>423962956
I don't get this argument. Microsoft is the only one that has dedicated servers for their first-party MP games but they also do shit like force you to pay for online to play F2P games.
It's 20$. It was inevitable once both Sony and Microsoft started doing it. The industry has already been flushed down the shitter long ago in this regard. Who cares.
>>
There is no such thing as online gaming thats "worth it".
>>
PC is once again the last bastion of freedom
>>
File: 1498941374088.jpg (29 KB, 600x548)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>save backups are behind paywall
>>
I blow 20 bucks on stupider shit multiple times a week. 20 for a year is almost literally 0. 5.4 cents a day broke niggas ain’t shit.
>>
>>423962956
I spend much much much more than $20/day on wants and necessities. Losing sleep thinking of having to pay $20/year is absolutely autism. Get a fucking job you college fag
>>
Paying for online isn't worth it in general. I'm not paying for it on PS4 and I'm certainly not paying for it on Switch.
>>
As much as as wish I want all online to be free a 20$ annual fee will show how many people take online play seriously. If nso sales are low it'll tell them that not that many people care for online and they'll concentrate more on single player stuff. if sales are really good they'll put more effort providing better online services. well at least that's what I hope for.
>>
>>423962956
>Is online really worth paying for?
The answer for this is obviously no. Online is just another part of the game that you pay for when you buy it. Developers have always been making money by selling online as a feature. The only reason you have to pay to play online on consoles is because people are willing to pay. If people stop paying, the games would go back to being free again since it still makes money.
>>
no

the competition costs 3x more but is 10x better, last march sony made up for the cost by having bloodborne and the ratchet remake up for download and that was a single month. What's this give me? The ability to play NES games online? Who gives a fuck, there isn't a single NES game worth playing online. SNES would be cool with games like turtles in time but till then it's a massive piece of shit
>>
>>423962956
If it keeps Splatoon getting more new content, yes, it's worth it
>>
>>423964051
>>423964430
It's not so much the cost as it is the reason. You don't start putting $20 bills into a shredder and not wonder why you're doing this. Same goes with paying for online console function. What is the reason for it? Why was it free before but not now? At this point, it's free money for them because they know they can get away from locking you out of content you already paid for.
>>
>>423966881
>If it keeps Splatoon getting more new content,
lol
>>
>>423966976
As of right now it's their new means of shelling out retro games via a netflix-like subsription.

What it means for the future we have yet to see but I hope it was worth delaying it for 1 year and a half.
>>
>>423966976
It was only free in the first place as a market entry strategy. Now that they have a consumer base they can start charging a modest fee.
>>
>He thinks Microsoft and Sony has dedicated servers either
>>
No, but I'll pay $5/year for it
>>
>>423967645
>retro games
*NES games
Stop saying "retro" as if you get Genesis or SNES or some shit
>>
>>423967645
That's just everyone's way of covering their ass now for locking you out of your own internet and a portion of your game. It's them saying "See, we're actually giving* you something for it" while they know perfectly well the main reason like it has always been for this shit is to be able to play online with other people. Even then, it's not so much giving as it is lending, as they'll strip back any games they lent you if you're late on a payment. It's softening the blow by wearing an oven mitt.
This practice sucks I don't think a single one of them ever tried to justify why they do it.
>>
>>423962956
Unfortunately its a grave dug by people supporting xbox live and ps+
>>
99% of the games on other consoles don't have dedicated servers. It's all a scam that caught on as standard on console gaming, so suck it up. It's too late to complain
>>
The thing what pisses me of the most is that if i buy a game that has focus on mp and i pay €60. And i cant even fucking use 80% of the game unless i pay up another amount. How is it even legal? If i buy a game i want to be able to use all of the game. I'll probably switch back to pc once payed online arrives on switch for my mp games and buy single player stuff on switch or games that i want portable.
>>
Depends on the games they offer and if Smash Ultimate's netcode is any better than previous games's.
>>
>>423962956
Definitely not, don't buy into the whole "when the paying system is live the servers will be better".
I'll still have to pay just to keep playing Splatoon.
>>
>>423970419
Netcode won't do anything against people on wifi, aka everyone
>>
>>423967792
Pretty sure the reason they delayed it was to make the service a more compelling product.

At least I hope that's the case.

>>423968739
We don't know that for sure and I hope that they iron out the details before the launch.
>>
>>423962956
Switch already has massive hacking problems
Stay far away from this dumpster fire unless you want to burn $20
Looks like another offline generation for Nintendo

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.