[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

why do people pretend to like this game
>>
nice try, ff8spammer
"I'll just falseflag that I don't like the game, heh! That'll get 'em talking nice things!"
>>
>After years of waiting, nothing came
>As your life flashed before your eyes, you realize
>I'm a reasonable man, get off, get off, get off my case
>>
File: 3-FFVIII_0088.jpg (64 KB, 640x480)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>and you realise
>you were lookin'...
>lookin'...
>in the wronggg plaaace
>>
File: 1682533629527844.png (191 KB, 500x351)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
It's my favorite jarpig going on 25 years now
>>
File: squalliced.jpg (24 KB, 536x374)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>10686554
I liked the first disc then it completely jumped the shark but that doesn't matter since squall died at the end of it and the next 3 disc are just a dmt fever dream
>>
>>10686760
>major implement followed by falling several stories
>wake up with no wound and nobody ever talks about what happened
Explain that mr.r/im13andthisistoodeep4me
>>
>>10686760
Nigger people have died from way less. Imagine the blood lose from having your lung KO'd. Also when the second disc starts he has no injury at all
>>
>>10686795
>falling several stories
parade floats are at most two meters off the ground
>wake up with no wound
this is harder to explain, and I assume it is just sloppy writing, but when things like curaga exist idk what to tell you
>>
>>10686798
>Imagine the blood lose from having your lung KO'd
>TIL lungs are in your shoulder
>>
File: bZ56p.png (212 KB, 611x437)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>10686807
Would have hit his lung too, simple as
>>
File: EFxVaL3UcAA6HJZ.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
I liked FF8. I appreciate that there are multiple different ways to play the game and each strategy is viable. The story was a bit silly but overall good. But mostly I found the girls from it really hot.
>>
>>10686554
They scarred their faces permanently when they were 9 to look like the protagonist, so now they have to defend it or they would seem stupid for the rest of their life.
>>
>>10686883
I rescar once a year to make sure it doesnt heal
>>
I was 8 and thought the characters looked cool
>>
>>10686554
>why do people pretend to like this game
contrarians who have to pretend its good because theyre irrationally mad about ff7's popularity
>>
>>10686554
I like the setting, sound design, and world/character/monster design, but I've only ever made it to disc 3.
>>
>>10686554
its a good game
>>
>>10686815
nah mate, that is clearly through the shoulder
>>
>>10687454
Post vid of impaling your shoulder and then taking a header off of a parade float if its so survivable.
>>
>>10686554
Same reason people pretend to like any JRPG
>>
i think bro is stuck in his own time compression because FF8 should have been the better game.. everything was ++ from FF7 .. but somehow it just was all over the place shitting the bed.. Card game was perfect. Graphics were smoother and more anime styled. FMVs more detailed...
Its just not good tho. i would say play it once if your a diehard FF fan.. otherwise hard pass.
>>
>>10686795
>falling several stories
I guess that means Cloud died at the start of Disc 1. people surviving falls in Final Fantasy is not an abnormal thing dude
>>
They either legitimately do, or pretend to because VII and VI get all the love
>>
>>10688324
ff7 is a cartoon though. Its not the same.
>>
>>10686554
The reality is that Square did not transition to 3D successfully. Their best games are 2D.
They got away with it with 7 because it stuck to the formula established with 4/5/6 and nobody knew better to criticize 3D graphics; 8 completely dropped the ball by trying to innovate in too many directions at once; then 9 was just boring. By the time 10 came around, which was almost enough to right the ship, Final Fantasy had already fallen from grace. You have to understand, just like today every company is chasing gachabux, back then, the goal for major developers was to be the new Pokemania every year. So when 10, despite being an good return to form, did not generate FF7 levels of mania, Square took that to mean failure and started trying to reinvent the wheel again, just like with 8. As a result every 3D Final Fantasy besides 7 and 10 has been complete dogshit.
>>
>>10686591
Ted Woolly can't keep getting away with this!
>>
>>10686671
Based same. Still disappointed that they didnt put more effort into the "remaster" and absolutely ruined Squalls design
>>
>>10686726
>no organs or major blood vessels punctured
>immediate medical care
>healing magic everywhere
this theory is almost as retarded as R=U
>>
>>10687495
impaling is one of the most survivable traumatic injuries when coupled with proper medical care because the impalement itself stops any bleeding and he jumps 40 feet into the air every time he uses his limit break a parade float is nothing. whats really interesting in these threads is watching an autistic mind try to grapple with basic concepts that the rest of us take for granted then eventually sperg out when it simply does not compute for them
>>
I'm lost in the cave of the unkown kinks and someone turned out the lights. HELP!
>>
Honestly, I like how the game just gives you all the tools to break it. I dunno if it was on accident or on purpose, but it's a lot of fun getting super OP and just steamrolling everything. Games the definition of prep time.

I also really enjoy the FMV backgrounds they seamlessly mix into the gameplay. I feel like this is how cinematic games should have been moving forwards instead of what we have now.
>>
File: 1705352034653031.png (7 KB, 229x220)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>10686554
>why do people pretend to like this game
A more pertinent question: why do trannies and homosexuals seethe over it so much? I posit that it is because white heterosexual romance is the main theme, but I'm open to other interpretations.
>>
>>10686554
I believe what makes this game so appealing is that FF8 is unironically a trans story. Only women can use magic. So Odine invents something so that men can use magic too at the cost of their memory. An Evil terf witch decides to take revenge and through science and technology they overcome her. I also read it's a retelling of Wizard of Oz. The flying house, the yellow brick road to Esthar and killing the wicked witch. They can only return though the no place like home motif. Rinoa could easily have grown into a diseased terf too but decides to settle with her trans lesbian lover Squall. Hopefully the remake will clarify the details.
>>
>>10688487
but no WOUND!!!!!!!!
>>
>>10686554

its totaly kino. From the fighting to dialog and music
>>
>>10686554
Because it's deservedly hated, it's shit and the worst mainline FF8. And a lot of people think being contrarian is a replacement for a personality.
>>
>>10688507
So post a vid proving it.
>>
File: train.png (776 KB, 1034x860)
776 KB
776 KB PNG
>>
With GF's, is it better to spread them evenly so all the stats for each character become available, or should I stack the more magic proficient ones on one character and the more STR ones on another?
>>10689341
You probably aren't too fat off. It's wild how adamantly you see everyone against any sort of vanilla romance in anything now of days.
>>
>>10686554
Nostalgia. It made a serious impact on me when I was a teenager. I know everyone hates Squall, but as a depressed and cynical teenager, the game presented a crucial less to me that just wasn't available to me via other means: that cynicism does not protect you from harm, and ultimately that cynicism (and shutting yourself off from people) is the weaker position. You must be strong to open yourself up to connection and loss.
>>
>>10691362
Some of these degenerates can't relate to the material in any way whatsoever unless there's cuckolding and faggotry involved. Really says a lot about the 2020 election tourist crowd
>>
>>10689674
Read the post you replied to again, retard
>>
>>10691160
Ok bend over and spread them cheeks. I'll get so deep in your guts you call me Vlad
>>
I just completed disc 1!
>>
File: Squall.png (34 KB, 1271x688)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>10686554
nostalgia glasses, not as great as 7 but still comfy. never got to properly play 9 which i'm planning on doing for the next few weeks
>>
>>10686726
yeah i too love the first disc the most, even tho the later ones also had kino scenarios but the main plot shat the bed once squall gets hit by the ice shard.
from what i hear the story was either rewritten a bunch of times or never properly developed since the didn't have enough time or something
>>
Worst written and designed game that I still like for simple feels reasons
>>
>>10691709
depends on what you mean by design but i really dig the modernized colorful setting.
>the typical japanese campy military academy high school
>faux tacticool shit like the dollet mission, train kidnapping, assasination attempt, missile base
>wartime portrayal in laguna's flashbacks and the destroyed trabia garden
>comfy towns and villages
>epic shit like battle of the gardens
yes, the plot went full retard sadly and the later parts are weak design-wise as well (always hated the cyberpunk style of esthar) but the first third or half of the game was pretty kino.

wish they'd generally focused more on international conflicts, espionage, secret glowie missions and similar intrigues with there being a overarching big bad godlike entity behind all the war and suffering, whose goals are way grander in scope than simply achieving world domination
>>
>>10691757
Yeah garden ends up being so vapid that I forgot ever taking it a little seriously as an organization like you can at the beginning
>>
TRIPLE
R
I
A
D
>>
>>10686554
Quistis is Ultimecia
>>
>>10686554
I like its UI design.
I wish more games emulated that NextStep OS desktop look.
>>
I'm not about to reply to everyone in the reply chain at once, but the Squall's death thing works like this:
>Time Kompression at the end of the game has Squall & company defeating Ultimecia, who enters Edea's body in the past while Time is still unKompressing
>it now becomes Ultimecia's goal (eventually possessing Edea in the past) to kill SeeD before they successfully defeat her after Time Kompression is activated later on, while Cid and Edea work to establish the Gardens so there IS a SeeD in the future (likely with Laguna's connections and NORG's money)
>Squall's death before Ultimecia's defeat - a defeat which, again, led to Ultimecia being in the past in the first place - would lead to a paradox so the timeline self-corrects the issue, the impaling both did and didn't happen; Squall felt and remembers it, but bears no signs of it
Same thing with Rinoa's oxygen fully depleting later on but she survives it anyway. As soon as Time Kompression was successfully activated, all the potential bad-end timelines to that point were absorbed, Ultimecia's own plan made her assassins retroactively invincible until she was defeated.
>>
File: 1649111369490.jpg (161 KB, 1057x1038)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>10692284
>who enters Edea's body
>>
why do people pretend to like any final fantasy game
they all have the shittiest shonen anime plot, no gameplay no roleplay
>>
File: 180593-zell.jpg (18 KB, 480x336)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>10686671
this
>>
>>10686554
Laguna was my nigga
>>
>>10689591
>I also read it's a retelling of Wizard of Oz
if you didn't realise this on your own playthrough, you didnt finish the game.
>>
File: wink-wink-nudge-nudge.gif (747 KB, 294x210)
747 KB
747 KB GIF
>>10692567
Cid
>>
File: qkhbs1hgchd61.jpg (2.45 MB, 4048x3036)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>10692628
They removed some of the details like the yellow brick road.
>>
>>10686726
Man, imagine actually getting that injury. My boy Squall gets shot in the face and fucking impaled by a 4 foot icicle all in the span of like a year. Dude is gonna look like Old Man Waterfall by the time he's 23.
>>
bump
>>
File: photomode_11122023_225946.png (2.14 MB, 1920x1080)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
I don't consider FF8 to be the best FF but i do think it's the most comfy to talk about.
>>
>>10691362
Spread GFs around (hurr hurr) so that everyone gets junctions for key stats. Having three GFs with Str-J junctioned to one character is useless.

>>10691582
Needs the Renzokulen indicator at the bottom.
>>
>>10686827
Girls are not "hot", what is wrong with you?
>>
>>10686726
Why do we have fan theories instead of proper investigation about what went wrong during the development cycle? Did they have a proper script? Did they change it in hurry and why?
>>
>>10695207
>proper investigation
looked up google for a couple of minutes and couldn't find anything substantial aside from a few paywalled articles on medium dot com, not sure if there ever was somebody trying to get to the bottom of it.
yes nowadays there's several game """journalists""" and youtube channels commited to documenting game devs and their experiences, as well as development cycles of specific iconic games, but that is relatively new. there hasn't been anyone like this in the early to mid 2000s who'd gone to sqauresoft and asked for an extensive interview on why FF8 had shitty game mechanics and a mediocre story.
and why should the devs themselves admit faults and thus shit on their product which has become a cult classic anyways despite it's flaws?
so all there is left are speculations, of which there are tons, some of which are plausible
>>
>>10695982
>despite it's flaws
*its
>>
>>10694575
this, the academy SoL at the beginning was very comfy
>>
>>10695982
I bet Japan has more info on this that just never got translated.
>>
File: 20-FFVIII_23808.jpg (105 KB, 640x480)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>10691757
I enjoyed the 4th disk a lot. Something about coming across a sorceress that destroyed the entire world, annihilated the military force specifically created to defeat her and penetrating her fortress to save the whole world felt very fulfilling and right. The odds are completely stacked against Squall and co. and Ultimecia comes off as a trampling snd unstoppable force.
>>
>>10695207
I don't think things went "wrong" during the development cycle. It's just that the writers couldn't articulate and express all these ideas and concepts into the final product properly. Fans seem to have picked up on traces of all these intentional subjects or themes that the game wanted to communicate but was never up to the standards required to do so. I think you'd need someone like the mindset of Anno to juxtapose them rightly, Nojima was just not good enough to them justice.
>>
>>10697618
yeah final castle and fighting ultimecia at the end of times was cool, alright. the final boss theme, extremely kino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z3ELRacCPs
but i'm specifically talking about the plot between end of disc one and the final dungeon. there were very kino scenes inbetween yes, but those could've been used with a different story just as well. one that isn't as silly with the orphanage reveal or the whacky esthar part. generally less nonsensical asspulls that tried to make sense of a confusing plot.
apart from that the game is style abound
>>
File: 1466613316610.jpg (42 KB, 483x604)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>10687948
>everything better
entire battle system is broken within 30mins of playing the game

it's the only game where grinding makes the game harder
>>
File: 1705328219236317.png (14 KB, 657x527)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>10695984
Whatever
>>
>>10695186
Yuo are certified big gay.
>>
>>10697936
>it's the only game where grinding makes the game harder
I didn't know it at the time.
Next playthrough, after more 20 years, will be a speed run with Diablos' ability to avoid encounters.

My pee-pee already hard when thinking of all them FF8 girls.
(Sorry zoomers, that's a feeling you will never understand)
>>
>>10697618
Would
>>
File: Rinoa.jpg (271 KB, 833x1433)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>10686554
Rinoa <3
>>
>>10691381
How are you doing these days anon?
>>
>>10695984
>he doesnt exclusively phonepost
cringe
>>
>>10686726
Actually that scene is one of the few squalls that dont die. The dead squall has junctioned his mind onto that squall. It's why he says "no wound??"
>>
>>10686815
Clearly squall is dead there. He then hops multi timeline and junctions his mind onto a living squall
>>
>>10688324
Aeris felt him and used the lifestream to cushion his fall.
Also magic flowers.
Also jenova cells.
>>
>>10688507
No it isn't esp. Not in the chest
>>
>>10691463
>faggotry
So you cant prove it. Just say so instead of embarrassing yourself next time.
>>
>>10695207
From what I understand, it was supposed to be a bit more 50/50 even split between Laguna and Squall, with half the game taking place in Laguna's era, that got cut down to just being here and there flashbacks. Most of the dummied content on the disk is Laguna stuff, and there's even FMVs not in the game showing Squall and Laguna together.

I've heard offhand that Irvine was originally supposed to be an Auron figure, as an old man in Squall's era and young in Laguna's. I honestly believe the theory. He was going to bridge the gap between the two. The developers in interviews were explicitly most unsure about the inclusion of Irvine. They said it was because they were worried he would steal the limelight because he was too attractive. But I don't buy that, I think they didn't want to axe the character completely by that point. Him turning up as an old hired sniper from the army instead of a SEED would've made sense as well, and as it stands he -really- doesn't have a single purpose in the game outside of the sorceress assassination plot.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the motivation for the orphanage backstory was entirely because Selfie, Zell and most especially Irvine were superfluous and had absolutely nothing tying them to the main story. They had no character arcs or reasons beyond their role as SEEDs. I imagine Squall and Ellione being the orphans was in the original draft, because you needed a reason for Squall to be separated from Laguna for them to come together again. From there they just sucked more characters into the orphanage timeline as that offered the path of least resistance until that becomes the motivation for everyone but Rinoa. That sort of backfired and compressed everyone into a samey mess though, you see it especially with Quistis with "why is she a teacher at the same age as Squall?"
>>
>>10703594
>>10695207
>Did they have a proper script? Did they change it in hurry and why?

FMVs having things they shouldn't shows rewriting, absolutely. Like Rinoa in the background in the ship at Dollet when the crab tank gets destroyed (and Rinoa being playable at Dollet in the demo disk, arguably) shows that things were re-written very late in. Quistis also wasn't there operating the gattling gun on the ship, it was a Dollet soldier in an FMV. The Dollet demo disk came out in October 1998, the game came out on February 1999, meaning very close to release they were still changing shit around. There's also other funky things like Selfie's shadow being Rinoa's shadow in the final release, meaning the demo wasn't just some confusing hodgepodge made to be unlike the final game to prevent spoilers, that's how it was originally supposed to be.

FMVs were expensive to make and took lots of space, they really wouldn't care to fuck that aspect up, and them fucking it up with a major set piece shows something went wrong script-wise.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.