[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The most forgettable Sonic game
>>
I beat it once on one of the Sonic collections on PS2 years ago and never thought about it again.
You're right, it's the most forgettable, I can't seem to remember much at all from it, it's all a blur.
>>
>>10955024
It's better than Blast but Blast is less forgettable by virtue of being 'why and how in the fuck does this even exist' type of game
>>
Its memorable for me at least since my first Sega system was the Game Gear and this was the first game I got for it and 2nd Sonic game I owned besides the PC port of 3D Blast.
>>
>>10955059
Even with that, I feel like Blast is just kinda there. At least Chaos has the minor point of being the first game where the player could use Tails' flight.
I was gonna answer the thread with Sonic Eraser, but I think it's versus theme is notorious enough to get it by.
>>
I prefer it to Sonic 2
>>
File: 1674756849166808.gif (63 KB, 540x540)
63 KB
63 KB GIF
>>10955024
I disagree, it was the first 8-Bit Sonic where you could play as Tails, the first where you could fly as Tails at all, the first 8-Bit Sonic with both the spin dash and super peel out, it looked like the 16-Bit titles, technically impressive for Master System and Game Gear, it went with the classic formula of going into special stages instead of findind the emeralds, like in it's predecessors...

I feel it has a lot of identity, and so much going for it, just a shame it's so short and easy, but it was made with the Game Gear in mind and that thing's batteries didn't last long, so there's that.
>>
I think it's Blast actually.
>irredeemably bad
>not even any good music
>is never, EVER referenced in any way, ever
>is so forgotten that if you say "I hate Sonic Blast", 9/10 times whoever you're talking with will think you mean 3D Blast
>>
File: 1675378399844.jpg (131 KB, 800x800)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>Sonic Labyrinth
>Sonic Go-Cart
>that one with just Tails
>>
>>10956552
>>is never, EVER referenced in any way, ever
I think none of the Game Gear are ever referenced except for 2 and Triple Trouble. And even then there are callbacks to 2 only in Mania which is basically a fangame. Triple Trouble also barely even counts because if Fang the Sniper counts as a reference then any game with Amy is a Sonic CD reference. But maybe I missed some callbacks, I don't know
>>
>>10956691
At this point, Fang is more known for appearing in Sonic the Fighters since his appearance there coincides with Bark and Bean, both whom have since been retconned to be Fang's hired goons (no thanks to the shitty comics).
>>
>>10955024
>Mecha Green Hill Zone and its "Bad Future" remix of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior
>Final Eggman vehicle can one-hit kill Sonic even with Rings
I still strongly remember these bits.
>>
>>10957424
Honestly its a cool idea to keep that trio as a mercenary group or something that Robotnik could hire the services of in future games or as a potential new team in a hypothetical Heroes 2.
>>
>>10955024
master system and game gear had a bunch of sonic games. I should actually explore them and see what I think. Been playing game gear games lately anyways
>>
File: 22373_front.jpg (162 KB, 536x746)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>playing the cucked masturd system version
There's your problem, op
>>
>>10956691
>And even then there are callbacks to 2 only in Mania which is basically a fangame
Flying Battery had the electric wall traps that originated in Sonic 1 8-Bit's Sky Base and came back in CD's Wacky Workbench. Hydrocity brought back the rideable bubbles from Sonic 2 8-Bit's Aqua Lake and the switches to summon them from Triple Trouble's Tidal Plant.
>>
>>10957662
Game Gear versions of 1,2 and Chaos have shitty FOV
>>
>>10957814
1 and Chaos were designed for it.
Master versions lack content and polish, it's an afterthought for the poor UK market
>>
>>10957909
>lack content
Do they?
>>
>>10957814
I'm with you on this one for Sonic 2, surely... but for Sonic 1, the levels are all built in such a way that it's not too different to play from the port on Master System, and for Sonic Chaos... I know this might sound dumb, but the limited FOV we get on Game Gear makes it better, because it's a pathetically easy playthrough, anything that can make it a bit harder makes it better to play still.
>>
>>10957520
I'd go about it like this:

Sonic 1: Master System or Game Gear.
In this case both versions feel good, the Master System with a better FOV, while Game Gear got more polish and was built with the resolution in mind, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Sonic 2: Master System
Here's where the resolution really hurt the Game Gear, even the 1st boss feels like a chore because of the changes made to it, but Master System did get a version that's just as good as Sonic 1 for it.

Sonic Chaos: Game Gear
Here's a case where the FOV being worse on the Game Gear was actually better, because this was such an easy installment that you need to make it as hard as possible for yourself, also go for 100% since the hunt for it is what makes it interesting.

Sonic Triple Trouble: Game Gear
I mean, you don't get much of a choice here, this was a Game Gear exclusive, anyways it's probably the better Sonic title on these platforms overall.

Tails Adventure: Game Gear
Again the Game Gear is your only choice, anyway this is a Sonic MetroidVania, where you play with Tails, and it's good fun for a couple of hours, and perfect for those looking to get into the genre or who want something quicker for it to finish off.

I'd stay away from the rest of Sonic's catalogue on both Master System and Game Gear, these I think are the ones worth playing even today.
>>
>>10960749
The ironic thing is that Sonic 2 Game Gear is supposed to be the "better" version, but the screen crunch works against it.
>The first boss is suppiosed to be made a "little" harder on Game Gear by randomly changing up the height of the bouncing balls instead of all being the same easily-dodged attack
>The water in Aqua Lake is cleaned up to look less murky
>The good ending is given its own, more happy-sounding music instead of sharing the bad ending music
>Oddly, the game's only Power Sneakers power-up and its power-up music is removed in the Game Gear version, though it's rather useless to begin with as you enter an automatic tube immediately after getting it and it wears off before you can come back out)
Someone needs to backport all this into the Master System version, and then it'd be perfect.
>>
File: 1656893928914.jpg (130 KB, 306x280)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>10960937
I get what you mean, though in this case those differences aren't all that noticeable to make it better or worse to me, the main one is definitely the 1st boss which, while I get is a bit too simple on Master System, it's still the 1st boss, so it's reasonable for it to be very easy, easier than whatever comes up next for sure, so I prefer playing it over the Game Gear, FOV aside.
>>
>>10960749
>Tails Adventure: Game Gear

The only thing I ever remember about this game is going into the password screen and not being able to exit out of it.
>>
>>10957958
Yeah. GG can display more colors and has better audio than the SMS. Not sure about Sonic 2, but 1 was originally conceived as a GG game, with the SMS version being more of a side thing and it shows. Chaos also has more content and more polish on GG.
>>
File: FKN5XHSVUAIIekb.jpg (59 KB, 680x680)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>10961592
I definitely recommend giving it another shot, it's a charming MetroidVania from start to finish.

Tails using Napalm will never not be funny.
>>
>>10957520
dew it
they're damn good
>>
File: leveldesign.jpg (253 KB, 1020x570)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>10957909
They were released in Latin America too, with 1 also releasing in North America.
>>10958328
1 has a few infamous Chaos Emerald spots to the point they compleyely changed the location of one and basically gave it to you.
Chaos has a horrible glitch due to screencrunch in which getting hit causes a ring to fly straight up past the screen and never back down.
>>
>>10955530
same
>>
File: Spoiler Image (109 KB, 900x1150)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>10965291
>Chaos has a horrible glitch due to screencrunch in which getting hit causes a ring to fly straight up past the screen and never back down.
As I've mentioned, as much as it sounds dumb to mention this as a positive, the smaller FOV Game Gear offers is good in Sonic Chaos' case because it's such an easy playthrough otherwise that any extra difficulty you add, in this case due to small screen resolutions, is actually good! It's way too easy on Master System, it has the opposite issue from Sonic 2, where Master System is way better.
>>
File: spikes.jpg (125 KB, 829x565)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
1, 2, Chaos and, if it's possible, Triple Trouble deserve the "A.I.R." treatment. That way, you can toggle select parts of the SMS and GG versions to mix and match your preferences.
>>
>>10968404
I couldn't agree more, all of these titles deserve more love overall, both from Sonic fans and just regular video game fans who might not even be all that much into Sonic, they're fun platformers that are solid from start to finish, being allowed to take the better parts of both versions each of these titles got would only make that clearer, as the qualities would shine a lot more, they're nice.

Sonic 2 on Master System's the GOAT.
>>
File: 1622045537785.jpg (62 KB, 521x550)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>10955024
I think the biggest sin Sonic Chaos makes, that stops it from being truly memorable, is that it doesn't really challenge the player, it's easy so most people finish it on their 1st attempt in a short 30 minute run and never pick it up again.

A shame, because besides this fatal flaw, it's a good attempt at Genesis Sonic on the Master System and Game Gear, they did a lot of right.
>>
>>10955024
what happened to its fan remake?
>>
>>10974356
I think the Triple Trouble fan-remake stole its thunder.
>>
>>10974378
how?
>>
>>10955024
I brought because I wanted all the sonic sms games and it left an impression on me. I only had sonic 2 sms as a kid. The graphics are the best for sms sonic to me and it felt like they improved the loops a bit. Seemed a bit easy and not as good as 2 but still pretty good for what would have been a budget system at the time.

Sonic triple trouble is the one that forgetable to me, I even had to look up what it was. The graphics have a pixely look that I don't like and the physics have changed too much. Just not what I expected in a sequel but still a good game.

>>10960749
the lower fov never bothered me, i was probably used to sonic 2 on sms. There was some water transparency effects buts its real subtle and only last a few seconds.
>>
>>10974384
Triple Trouble was always the more well-known of the two "Sonic & Tails" games, so it stands that the remakes would be the same among the fanbase.
>>
>>10957814
>>10960749
Sonic 2 on Master System only released in Europe, so it's locked at 50 hz. So basically you have to deal with a slower game or a game with smaller screen space.
>>
>>10981602
WiiVC version is 60 hz
>>
>>10956691
Wasn't the caterpillar boss in Mania from Chaos?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.