[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: U5-poster-2013435225.jpg (146 KB, 935x1309)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>perfects the RPG
its 36 years old and it got it so right. all the greatest RPGs ever made since 1988 are just remakes of Ultima V, lets be honest here.
>>
>>10960956
Yeah man. Someone give me the best modernized way of playing this game.
>>
>>10960956
Best way to play it now? Just want basic interface improvements
>>
runes of virtue is the only good ultima game
>>
I wish dosbox wasn't such a pain in the ass to use, I'd love to play through this series
>>
>>10960996
>>10961013
You will either play the original, or you won't play at all. Either way, it's up to you.
>>
>>10961132
>Apple
no
>>
>>10961142
It's not a problem for any of us if you can't figure out how to use an emulator. Perhaps the bing bing wahoo is more your speed.
>>
it might be good but if it's not on steam i can't be bothered
>>
>>10961160
>he only plays retro-remakes on steam
this is /vr/, you belong on /v/
>>
>>10961105
you literally can just drag and drop the EXE file on the DOSbox shortcut...but nevermind >>10961160
all a bunch of fullretarded STEAM shills now. buy ads, Valve.
>>
>>10960996
Gog. No gay QoL mods or patches. Play it like a man and if you have a brain, it's the easiest Ultima. If you have no brain, it's the hardest.
>>
I agree. Being hunted by the shadowlords, unsure of who to trust, flipping the virtues entirely for a grey perspective. Exists as an actual conversation with the audience in response to U4.
>>
let's be honest though. all rpgs look bad compared to ultima 4-7. games today rip off a fraction of their brilliance and are called game of the year.
>>
>>10961271
It's easy but boring because the high end monsters are HP sponges even when you're leveled up and give everyone magic axes to throw at them.. Anyway just play the fan remake Ultima 5 Lazarus using the Dungeon Siege engine from the early 2000s, it plays a lot like Ultima 7.
>>
>>10961437
>just play it with Dungeon Siege bro
That engine is full of memory leaks and bugs.
>>
>>10961437
>just play the fan remake Ultima 5 Lazarus
It's not Ultima V though, and even if it's a labor of love by fans of the series, and by all accounts a good effort..
>using the Dungeon Siege engine from the early 2000s
Yikes.
>>
>>10961470
Garriott himself liked it. I'd rather take the actual creator's opinion than some fat anonymous retard doing some kind of purity signaling.
>>
>>10961013
>Best way to play it now? Just want basic interface improvements
You don't deserve to play Ultima V. First, you have to play Akalabeth through Ultima IV on Apple II to completion. Only then will you appreciate Ultima V's QoL improvements and be worthy of the pleasures it has to offer.
>>
>>10961481
>Garriott himself liked it.
Don't care. Garriott likes mobile slop too.
>fat anonymous retard doing some kind of purity signaling.
This is an Ultima V thread and you're telling people to play a fan tribute instead of the actual game, which is a classic. You'd feel embarassed about your own comment if you had two brain cells to rub together.
>>
>>10960956
Why doesn’t EA sell this franchise?
>>
>>10960996
get that patch that adds sound blaster support at least. ultima v isn't the same without depressing overworld music.
>>
>>10961312
>Ult 4 bought roleplaying into the actual game mechanics and crafted an entire religion
>Ult 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 deconstruct the consequences and fundamentals of the religion it constructed in different ways
We need a proper Ultima 8 and 9,
>>
>>10961746
Because even if they haven't done anything with it for a quarter of a century, owning it prevents others from potentially reviving it and finding success
>>
>>10961481
>Garriott himself liked it.
Garriott lost it.
All that he had to do with "Shroud of the Avatar" was create a straight-forward isometric RPG and people would have thrown copious amounts of money at him.
Instead, he created "Shroud of the Avatar."
To be fair, at least he shipped a complete game, unlike a certain other game developer who is 10-15 years into their development cycle *cough*Star Citizen*cough*.
>>
>>10961132
I won’t play it at all.
>>
File: britain0904.jpg (179 KB, 800x600)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>10961013
Ultima V Lazarus.
massively improves the graphics using the Dungeon Siege engine (which you'll also need)
get it here:
http://www.u5lazarus.com/index.html
>>
>>10961437
Lazarus isn't Ultima V and you just outed yourself for not knowing how to make the game easy mode.
>>
>>10962697
This looks awful.
>>
Ultima V Redux is shaping up rather nicely, for zoomers who cant cope with the 1980s UI
>>
>>10963253
jesus fucking christ what is wrong with humanity
>>
>>10963267
>calm down grandpa we Ultima now
>>
File: britannia 01.jpg (2.56 MB, 3798x3453)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
home
>>
>>10963253
fixed it
>>
>>10963373
what the fuck, thats Ultima VII tier perspective
>>
>>10962248
It is honestly kind of based. A shame the games are primitive and hard to go back to, because I find the attempt pretty admirable.
>>
>>10962697
Yeah, but it turns it into depressing looking and playing dungeon siege slop. At that point you really don't play Ultima V.
>>
>>10963398
You can, if you have an IQ over 100, understand why that's the best perspective.
>>
>>10963253
>Ultima V Redux

The project looks abandoned.
>>
>>10960956
I played all the Ultima games with guides
>>
>>10960956
speaking of which, check out Moonring. it's Ultima with modern technology. free, and made by a former Lionhead (Fable) developer.
>>
Wish someone would translate the FM Towns and Sharp x68000 versions.
>>10961746
Ultima Online still receives updates for one.
>>
File: 1000088271.jpg (195 KB, 1170x1080)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>10961437
>Anyway just play the fan remake Ultima 5 Lazarus using the Dungeon Siege engine

it just doesn't work for me

when I start dungeonsiege.exe it has modified menus etc. but clicking new game just starts modified original campaign for DS

I downloaded Lazarus from modb

I have gog ds
>>
File: Just plaintext.png (17 KB, 510x524)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>10964429
I just grabbed the town version, it has a folders titled U5_E and U5_J. The J folder only contains files that are seemingly localization files. The E folder has the actual data files including files for English (though the way it gets displayed is in greek characters, so I don't know what encoding it actually uses) so it seems it already IS in English.

There is an addtional intro, but its text is stored in the U5OPEN folder in Story5.txt (picrel), so I'm going to guess you can just edit this and replace the file if you REALLY need to see that bit of text, it's just some bit of text that reads like an opening in a manual, though I don't actually know if it went as written. The numbers are likely engine commands.
>>
File: English (simplified).png (32 KB, 640x480)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>10964884
Oh yeah, and Ultima VI is also in English. It doesn't actually have much better music as it instead decided to go for full voice acting instead.
It's not good voice acting, but it adds to the campiness.
>>
>>10961160
>>10961105
>>10961013
>>10960996
The absolute state of zoomers.
>>
>>10960996
There is a remake of Ultima V using Dungeon Siege game called Ultima V: Lazarus. Enjoy the game, zoomer.
>>
>>10964895
We did this cause we didn't want other frontends and now kids today only want that gaban cock
>>
>>10965232
>gaban
what?
>>
>>10960956
why
>>
>>10964147
Honestly not a bad way to play them. Sometimes they are more fun when you already know what to do.
>>
>>10963253
At least it doesn't look like a completely different game like that shitty lazarus.
>>
Ultima IV is available for free on GOG. I've been trying to get into it but I literally can't even figure out the key bindings and for some reason the GOG release doesn't include any of the documentation. I managed to find the lore book and spellbooks online but I can't find a goddamn manual with the goddamn keybinds anywhere.
>>
>>10964890
IIRC the voice acting was done by the people at Origin themselves, Richard Garriot does the voice of Lord British and Shamino, etc.
>>
>>10966085
Yeah. Gives it that tabletop experience.
I would play them all on japtops, but I already played through the entire series before.

From screenshots it looks like you can play all the way from 1-6 with some intros and endings in Japanese that I'm going to have to guess are as easy to edit if the looks of them are anything to go by. People who can't read it can just grab their phone and translate it though, it's not a lot of text and if you played the series you probably know it already.

The later games were released in the DOS-V/Windows era in Japan so I assume those are just the same and never got ports to dedicated hardware as the unique computers were either all dead or running Windows at that point meaning you'd just buy the IBM release.
>>
File: 138772-240526-161120.png (121 KB, 1440x1080)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
You just fill in the gaps.
>>
>>10960956
This applies more to Pool of Radiance, unless you want to say that it's a remake of Ultima V somehow.
>>
>>10963373

wow
>>
>>10963298
wonder if there's some way to recreate this map in something like Dwarf Fortress for adventure mode
>>
>>10966257
>This applies more to Pool of Radiance
If you consider the Gold Box games to be the greatest RPGs since 1988 then yes, it does.
>>
>>10966073
Try this:
https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Ultima_IV:_Quest_of_the_Avatar
>>
>>10965246
The guy who turned first person shooters into boring movies.
>>
>>10966432
I'm saying that all the modern turn-based and RTwP RPGs are a spoof of Pool of Radiance, unless they are JRPGs or Dungeon Crawlers instead.
>>
File: 1663865519558098.png (1.3 MB, 1024x1024)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
amazing how furious 45 year olds without kids or wives get over the concept of someone not playing with a digital toy the way THEY want to
>>
>>10967754
I know. I'm saying I don't see it outside the Gold Box series, and maybe to some extent Realms of Arkania. Modern TBwP RPGs are pretty much all Baldurs Gate clones, and aside from having D&D mechanics BG plays nothing like PoR which is really just a dungeon crawler with an overhead tactical combat mode.
>>
>>10967795
Baldur's Gate is a Dark Sun clone, which is an evolution of a system from Gold Box games.
Personally, I don't see a grand difference in principle between first-person and overhead dungeons for this specific purpose. First Buck Rogers game was successfully ported to Sega Genesis by changing one to the other.
>>
>>10967984
Dark Sun games are turn based. I personally prefer turn based D&D like Dark Sun and ToEE games.
>>
>>10968012
Yes? Real time in RTwP is basically a TB game with automated turns. Just spam pause for what basically is a TB experience.
>>
>>10968021
It's different, anon. Try playing ToEE.
>>
>>10961160
the fact i live on the same planet as you is depressing.
>>
>>10967984
>Baldur's Gate is a Dark Sun clone
No. You should try Dark Sun sometime though, it's a good game. Shattered Lands is anyway.
>>
>>10969280
But I did? Granted, I haven't gotten very far and clone is too strong of a word, but I played enough to see a very strong influence.
>>
>>10966073
huh? usually gog has all that stuff on game folder wtf
>>
>>10960996
Try playing the original you fucking retard, you know, the version that actually made it famous?
>>
>>10970362
Do you mean the PC version for 1980s IBM-compatible shitboxes that has no fucking music, or the Apple II version with dogshit graphics?
>>
>>10961271
absolutely not the easiest ultima
>>
>>10970467
>muh music
Zoomer can't go two seconds without his gay earbuds.
>>
>>10970498
Solo Avatar
Ring of invisibility
Save before battle in case the ring breaks
Raid the treasury for about 9 time stop scrolls for the last dungeon
Drag Saduj's corpse to the finale and resurrect for an epic final boss fight.
Easy ass pie.
>>
>>10965208
That's an entirely different game.
>>10963253
Holy shit this looks stupid.

Just play the actual game.
>>
>>10962697
Looks intredasting

>Ultima V: Lazarus is a fan-made remake of Ultima V. The game uses Gas Powered Games' Dungeon Siege engine, and that game is required to play the remake. It is an attempt to reconstruct the original title, including an elaborated plot, strategy elements and updated conversational mechanisms to resemble 2005 game dialog systems. Pelit gave the game 90 out of 100 and summarized that "Ultima V: Lazarus is a truly wonderful modernisation of a classic game. Despite the bugginess and a somewhat aged Dungeon Siege engine, Lazarus is a must-download for every Ultima fan. Impressive work in every respect."[3]

So I need Dungeon Siege installed for it to work?
>>
>>10960956
ultima is cringe trash designed by a pedo
>>
>>10960956
If i'm brand new to the Ultima series where do I start? Should I just jump in with the first and go in release order?
>>
File: GoldenEye007box.jpg (68 KB, 300x206)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>10967636
>>
>>10972501
>Should I just jump in with the first and go in release order?
I wouldn't. I through III aren't bad for their era but they're basically prototypes. IV is when it starts getting interesting but combat is a slog. I'd give each of V-VII a spin and then play through whichever grabs you.
>>
>>10972523
*Actually II is kind of bad, even for its era.
>>
>>10972501
Play 4-7 + Underworld.
>>
>>10961481
>Garriott
I think he tried to warn us before they got him too. Maybe that's why they got him.
>>
>>10972835
>>
Another series that died when they abandoned turn based combat.
>>
>>10973029
ultima invented the trpg genre
>>
just in time for the new majuular video bros :)
>>
>>10973029
yeah Ultima 7 autocombat is shit, Ultima 6 is a way more polished game
>>
>>10966114
Japanese Ultima ports are pretty interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YED3hyExk4
>>
>>10970467
If you think the graphics are "dogshit" you have absolutely no business playing retro games. Fucking neck yourself, shitheel. What the fuck reason did you ever click the link to this place from your faggot discord?
>>
>>10976309
Exult fixes this and you can do fully turn based combat again.
>>
>>10977041
I thought that project had been abandoned. Is it any good? I may have to give U7 with Exult a spin.
>>
>>10976309
U7 combat is awful but everything else about the game is amazing.
>>
>>10977059
>I thought that project had been abandoned.
Why would you think that? It's been finished for well over a decade. They only release minor bug fixes now. It works flawlessly. It used to have some problems with specific game logic which was wonky but they figured it out again, over a decade back.

>>10977063
Ultima VII has always given you the option of turn by turn combat for the Avatar, where it would pause the battle and let you control your Avatar directly. After all, it's "you." But it also had auto combat (with different selectable options, such as attach the strongest, or weakest, or just flee) for the other characters because they are not "you." I think it was done to add to the role playing aspect of the game. You didn't directly control everybody, just yourself. This is evident in other choices in the game, such as if you steal in view of members of your party, they will chide you or even just leave the party.
>>
>>10977078
>Why would you think that?
I meant the turn based combat feature specifically, not Exult. I was following updates for a while, but hadn't seen any news since 2016 so I assumed it was abandoned.
>>
>>10977085
It's finished, there is a repo where there is some activity but the last major release was ages ago because it's done.
>>
>>10966073
there you go,in the documents section.
https://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/ultima-iv-quest-of-the-avatar/download/4186/
>>
>>10968021
>Thinks that someone might consider Ultima V a Pool of Radiance clone (???)
>Balders gate is a Dark sun clone
>if it played completely differently it would be the same
bro get your 8 hours in.
>>
>10961437
>It's easy but boring because the high end monsters are HP sponges even when you're leveled up and give everyone magic axes to throw at them
Yeah, the back end of Ultima V nearly made me drop it. I have never been as bored by an RPG without quitting. Like 10+ hours of no equipment progression, nothing to meaningfully distinguish your party - they're all just axe throwers, nothing to challenge you, nothing to spice up combat maps, constantly getting sidetracked by buying food...
I just now remembered everything being in runic as I type this. What a pain in the dick - it would have been cool if it was to decipher secret messages and impactful lore, but no, I'm translating mundane shit one street signs. Eventually I cracked and installed a translation patch.
Cool game, but I had to take a long break from CRPGs after that.
>>
>>10978080
>Thinks that someone might consider Ultima V a Pool of Radiance clone (???)
It was a mocking response to OP's claim that every GOAT RPG since '88 might as well be a remake of Ultima V.
>Balders gate is a Dark sun clone
Not quite the clone, but it's VERY easy to see how one directly led to the other. Hell, I remember Bioware crew mentioning it themselves.
>if it played completely differently it would be the same
Why, yes, I consider RTwP a derivative from TB, rather than a subsection of Action RPGs.
>>
>>10962317
Didn't Lord British make a kickstarter for a "I can't believe it's not Ultima" game like a decade ago?
I just remember hearing about how it was one of the most succesful kickstarter campaigns ever and then never hearing about it again so it either sucked or wasn't released.
>>
>>10979417
Shroud of the Avatar?
>>
>>10979417
>>10979445
Yeah it turned into a virtual furniture making and real estate simulation. There was a rush of Ultima fans who bought real estate to fund the thing while waiting for Richard to make the actual game (which he eventually did) but the long dev period kind of killed it. I believe you can download and play the game for free now, and only have to pay money if you want to own property.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.