[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is there any challenge like this but for retro games/ROMs or consoles? I dunno what numbering we'd base it on
>>
yes it's called the gauntlet
>>
>>11010919
oh neat I hadn't heard of this https://retro-game-gauntlet.vercel.app
>>
Hijacking this thread to say that I'm surprised that charts (those "how to get into X" images you'll see on mu and lit) are seemingly non-existent here or elsewhere on the Internet for games/game genres.
I don't even think any of the gaming boards have a wiki with game recommendation lists
>>
>>11011463
Good, so this is the only place that gatekeeps retards from infesting the fanbases. You only want the people who don't need to be spoonfed.
>>
>>11011463
/v/ has one, I've never really looked into it but I remember the JRPG list being basic except for like 2-3 curveballs https://vsrecommendedgames.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

I think one for here would be cool. This is my favorite board and way better than that shithole /v/
>>11011698
Anon, I am ambivalent to this. I don't see much difference in researching on your own to find games or just looking at a romset, vs asking here. It's not that big a difference in effort I mean you either type it into the search bar or you look at the bookmarked trusted sites you've accrued. I could see why you would oppose it becoming like Reddit but I don't think this place is culturally similar, reddit is more of the "I need X and this thread should be productive" kind of site by design
>>
>>11011726
I didn't even realize /v/ had a wiki, thanks for the link!
>>
File: 1615008757883.gif (63 KB, 1000x1192)
63 KB
63 KB GIF
>>11011726
While I want to agree with your ambivalence, I notice that most lists are completely arbitrary in the first place and there is absolutely no accounting for taste. It really is better to do your own research, despite how much more effort it takes to find games you like.

Just showed my girlfriend Yume Penguin Monogatari and she loved it. Some would balk at a screenshot of a cutesy penguin platformer even if they would enjoy the gameplay and/or story, which is far more difficult to communicate in an image list.
>>
>>11011463
The kind of people that those images cater toward are bad for the board.
>>
>>11011726
I looked at it again and it's not nearly as basic as I remembered, they might've revamped it. Fair amount of shit I haven't heard of
>>
>>11011101
That's not even the original gauntlet website, old one was http://s3kr.it/gauntlet.html vut it probably hasn't worked in years.

We used to have some really fun (albeit slightly dead) threads about the gauntlet years ago, shame no one cares about them anymore.

old archive thread:
https://4chanarchives.com/board/vr/thread/3352317
>>
>>11011950
>probably hasn't worked in years
Yup, just tried it and it timed out.
Meanwhile the other one seems to have expanded quite a bit. I went ahead and did one for each system with...INTERESTING results. What order should I go after this? The old structure doesn't have all of these platforms.

3DO: AV Girl Mahjong
Amiga: Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road
C64: Bob Morane: Science Fiction
DC: Cannon Spike
DOS: World Hockey '95
DS: Myst
GB/GBC: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue
GBA: Moto Racer Advance
GC: Animaniacs: The Great Edgar Hunt
GG: Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
Genesis: Alien Soldier
MSX: Dragon
MSX2: The Great Giana Sisters
NeoGeo: Captain Tomaday
NGP: PachiSlot Azure Kingdom - Ohanabi
NES: Chibi Maruko-Chan: Uki Uki Shopping
N64: Quake 64
PC-98: Hanafuda de Pon!
PS1: Shin Super Robot Wars
PS2: Disney TH!NK Fast
PSP: Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
Saturn: ThunderStrike 2
SMS: The Terminator
SNES: Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
TG16: Mystic Formula
Wii: The Bachelor: The Video Game
WS: Uzumaki: Denshi Kaiki Hen
ZX Spectrum: Blinky's Scary School
>>
>>11012027
I would just follow the order/guide here friendo
>https://vgauntlet.fandom.com/wiki//v/_Gauntlet_Wiki

Really though, up to you how you want to handle it. Since there's no threads about it anymore, you could do whatever you want to the order. Maybe replace turbografix and DOS to add on PS2 at the end. makes it less retro-y, but whatever brings you the most enjoyment at the end of the day. no point suffering through shitty DOS games unless you truly want to.
>>
>>11012041
DOS games don't necessarily scare me off (and the hockey game looks decent, actually), it was stuff like The Bachelor and mahjong that were looking like the most pain.
So paring it down I wound up with this:
Chibi Maruko-Chan: Uki Uki Shopping - win a game
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue
Alien Soldier
Mystic Formula
World Hockey '95 - win a game by two points
Captain Tomaday
Moto Racer Advance
Super Off Road
Quake 64

The hardest point is right upfront, as it's apparently an untranslated board game, but three days is probably enough to figure out what to do. Also a bit worried about Alien Soldier, Seven Force filtered me the last time I tried
>>
>>11012087
If it's untranslated you can select another game, that's always been how I've seen it.

Sounds like a fun time though dude, hope you have a good time with it. No threads to post screenshots in, but probably keep a lil' collection for yourself to look back on down the line.
>>
>>11011950
>We used to have some really fun (albeit slightly dead) threads about the gauntlet years ago, shame no one cares about them anymore.
that does sound like a fun thread idea, I like the idea of trying random shit together
>>
>>11012087
genaology of the holy war is respectable, maps are crazy large and you will rout a lot
>>
>>11011950
https://www.cambysses.com/gauntlet/ was an alternative, but it's also dead
>>
File: retro games.png (16 KB, 382x139)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>11011101
Are these retro?
>>
>>11012653
not according to /vr/ but not everyone has the same concept of what's retro and what's not. it's a stretch to call PS2 retro, DS really isn't that far off.

speaking of which, i'd bet big money that since the DS turns 20 years old today the mods will alter the sticky to include it since that's what they did with the PS2.
>>
>>11012658
>DS turns 20 years old
Holy shit just kill me already.
>>
>>11012683
yeahhhh man, shits weird. feels like just
yesterday my classmates and i were playing MK7 during lunch breaks and having mini-tournaments.
>>
>>11011463
>I don't even think any of the gaming boards have a wiki with game recommendation lists
It does exist, but it isn't very good.
Personally i like the themed images like "beach / summer games" or "Halloween games" they're pretty handy for picking out something when you're in a particular mood.
>>
File: 1717204123182625.gif (2.93 MB, 640x640)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB GIF
>>11012658
>it's a stretch to call PS2 retro
nigger wut lol
It's 24 years old grandpa.
I think PS3 and 360 should now be considered retro as well, even if it makes you shit your pants.
>>
>>11013217
the cut off should unironically be standard definition. Not sure if I'd count the Wii or not though. PS3 360 is also not retro cause games have only changed and progressed marginally since then
>>
>>11013217
You need to be at least 18 years old to post here
>>
>>11010847
>Akira

Why does this shit get mentioned? It's just a movie about nothing, just screaming names and riding the motorcycle.
>>
>>11015236
Anon... people born in 2006 are 18 this year.
>>
File: FnVheC_aEAUQgeP.jpg (129 KB, 2560x1440)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>11015198
The cut off should be widescreen aspect ratio
>>
>>11015684
I consider this synonymous with HD mostly, but some PS2 games had it. Still think Dragon Quest 8 is retro
>>
>>11015239
It's a vibes movie, extremely good visuals, action choreography and atmosphere. Recommend watching it again with different expectations. I still think the shit with gods and the general guy was cool though

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.