[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: maxresdefault.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Now the dust has settled, what was better format, NTSC or PAL?
>>
>>4965092
Isn't pal supposed to have better colors at 50hz. I have been hearing that coming from this board for the last couple of years. Honestly looking at the picture, I can't see it.
>>
File: secam.png (148 KB, 401x339)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>4965092
SECAM
>>
File: Purple Link.png (159 KB, 1177x856)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>4965102
Yes, France and the (former) Soviet Union - great pillars of pre-2000 game development.
>>
>>4965136
>what is rayman and tetris
>>
>>4965092
PAL was always superior in video quality. NTSC had no automatic colour correction, less bandwidth, less lines per frame, less contrast, inferior colour reproduction. there's a reason why it got called "NEVER THE SAME COLOR". lame Americans think the 10fps more makes it the best.. but we all know they're retarded.
>>
>>4965101
of course you can't. the picture is made up of screenshots from an emulator. whoever made this picture is a dribbling spastic.
>>
The only way that PAL is "inferior" is that lazy developers didn't compensate for the framerate difference when porting games. This was only a problem in the pre-internet age and would never happen today with instant comparisons and feedback available.

Colour and resolution-wise it's streets ahead.
>>
>>4965136
France gave us Shaq Fu though
>>
File: 1515624461179.png (989 KB, 1744x980)
989 KB
989 KB PNG
>>4965143
>>4965165
>muh broadcast standards that don't mean shit for games
>>
>>4965092
PALfag here, I still play my childhood consoles and never bothered upgrading to NTSC. Is there a list anywhere of games that weren’t optimized for 50hz?
>>
When it comes to video games:

PAL60 > NTSC > PAL

That's the objective fucking reality. More accurate colors do not make up for playing a game at 25 fps when you could be playing it at 60.
>>
>>4965197
>Is there a list anywhere of games that weren’t optimized for 50hz?
The list of games that were would be far smaller.
>>
>>4965092
technically, PAL. Better colour, better resolution, can run movies without telecine bullshit.

NTSC has more Japanese videogaming content, and that's literally it. It doesn't even have stable colours.
>>
>>4965165
It's hard to compensate if you measure position/speed in integers and time in frames. And old games did that because the CPUs didn't even have floating point hardware.
>>
>>4965101
>>4965143
>>4965165
>>4965206
>>4965216
You guys are a bunch of retarded parrots. Colors aren't an issue with consoles.
>The only way that PAL is "inferior" is that lazy developers didn't compensate for the framerate difference when porting games
60 hz has a lot less flicker than 50.
>>
Japan runs on both 60hz and 50hz electricity. Does this mean that games sold in 50hz regions were optimized to run at the intended fps?
>>
>>4965245
Difference in flicker is marginal at best when you are sitting half a room away
>>
>>4965261
I too enjoy squinting to make out what's happening on screen.
>>
>>4965245
>Colors aren't an issue with consoles.

They also weren't an issue in NTSC televisions after the transition from tubes to solid state. S-Video also totally eliminated phase distortions. So the difference basically comes down to resolution (576tvl vs. 480tvl) and frame rate. But there's consumer grade NTSC sets that have higher line counts, so PAL sets aren't necessarily the automatic winner here. But PAL will forever be stuck at 50hz for retro games unless emulated in PAL60 (basically NTSC) or something.
>>
>>4965269
>sitting in right in front of your CRT
It’s like you want to get cancer
>>
>>4965274
I'll enjoy my cancer along with my inferior ntsc colors.
>>
>>4965246
I believe tying a television set refresh rate to the voltage frequency was a thing that became obsolete in the late 70s, most new TVs were probably dual mode by the time the Famicom came out, and I believe the dudes unfortunate enough to have a 60Hz capable display were provided with an external device to convert the signal to NTSC 50Hz by skipping select frames, something that was also done throughout asian countries with the same issues, or even parts of South America.

>>4965245
They pretty much are, the Mega Drive is a good example, because we totally skipped on the rainbow banding artifacts and had more accurate colors to boot, without even messing with the tint.

>60 hz has a lot less flicker than 50.
That flicker is often exaggerated by people who mostly play at 60Hz so they are extremely put off when they switch to 50Hz, most PALfags were accustomed to that speed so their eyes naturally synched with the refresh. Of course, when playing at 60Hz the difference is apparent, but we have the advantage of enjoying both rates without complaining. Except for VGA monitors of the time, the flicker is somwhat more apparent there, and you don't want to stare at those things for too long up close while working.
>>
>>4965297
>unfortunate enough to have a 60Hz capable display

to not have*
>>
>>4965297
>They pretty much are, the Mega Drive is a good example, because we totally skipped on the rainbow banding artifacts and had more accurate colors to boot, without even messing with the tint.
Stop perpetuating myths. It has nothing to do with NTSC vs PAL.
>That flicker is often exaggerated by people who mostly play at 60Hz
I grew up with mostly 50 hz games. The difference is significant.
>>
>>4965273
>(576tvl vs. 480tvl)
>tvl
>I have no idea what I'm talking about

you also fell for the pvmeme, didn't you? they got THE MOST TVLs after all.
>>
>>4965328
>It has nothing to do with NTSC vs PAL.

Yes... it does? Explain why the rainbow banding from consoles of the same revision would only manifest itself when you output NTSC, even on PAL consoles modded with different crystal oscillators?
>>
>>4965338
Well, technically it does, but not in the way you apparently think. The proof here being how other consoles don't have the same problem. It's really just bad design.
>>
>>4965403
It's basically what I was getting at, in lieu of being a better standard overall, it can overcome unintentional design flaws. It is still bound to YUV, but the artifacts are made to be much less noticeable (the rainbow banding you generally see in NTSC from different sources turns in a green/magenta or yellow/blue banding depending whether the scanline is odd or even, but of course this happens so fast during interlace it is hard to notice, same as NTSC. Now, I never owned an Apple II or a CGA video board, but I don't think the PAL color burst could have replicated the same quirks that were used to simulate color on monochrome systems. So, your everyday TV couldn't cut it, I think.
>>
>>4965245

Nintendrone detected
>>
>>4965191
>muh
>menime pic
Do you want me to tell how I know you are a worthless retard?
>>
On some consoles you can change output between 50Hz and 60Hz, it's just a little bit crisper with 60Hz, nothing major. The difference between 576 and 480 isn't quite the difference between 567 and widescreen 720p (ie. HD), but it's a bigger difference than a marginally better refresh rate - remember that once you get higher in resolution then you get diminishing returns so 576 is significantly better than 480, especially for tv. If you think about how movies run at 24 frames per second and people don't get eye cancer from that, I know it's different but whatever. The resolution and added to that better colour is more important.

Obviously, nothing can help if games are converted badly, which sad happened for a lot of PAL games so that's how NTSC regions can be happy, but that's because of the way they were converted and not the shitty NTSC format.
>>
>>4965442
It has absolutely nothing to do with some magic properties of PAL to somehow suppress all the evils of the universe.
>"The jailbars are caused by having the MD's dot clock (pixel clock) be a multiple of the NTSC color carrier clock."
From smarter people than you and me.
>>
>>4965498
Yes, all those fucking games that are rendered in 576i/p.
>better colour
Stop.
>>
>>4965529
What jailbars are we talking about? The ones I know are mostly an RGB concern, due to them being more noticeable with the added definition that comes with RGB, and is dealt with eliminating the composite encoder entirely. The rainbow banding IS an NTSC only issue, due to how the color burst works. I sense you may be too invested into this, I suggest chilling down?
>>
>>4965092
>Now the dust has settled, what was better format, NTSC or PAL?
The best of both worlds, PAL60
>>
>>4965571
Are you mentally deficient or something? I suggest you get a brain.
>The rainbow banding IS an NTSC only issue
Yes.
>due to how the color burst works.
No. It's the fucking frequency.
>>
>>4965621
What frequency?

The frequency of you being wrong? It is rather high.
>>
>>4965092
>Now the dust has settled
The dust only settled for NTSC, still waiting for the PAL version.
>>
>>4965631
Educate yourself, fucktard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorburst
>>
>>4965641
Are you schizophrenic?

Serious question.
>>
>>4965651
Kay why ess, my dude.
>>
>>4965657
Yeah, thought so
>>
>>4965660
>>
>>4965665
No, seriously.

Why did you chew that anon out for suggesting colour burst was the issue and then post a link explaining colour burst to educate my supposedly fucktarded self?

You have serious issues and should seek professional help at the earliest opportunity.
>>
>>4965674
You're the one accusing everyone of having mental illnesses. The obvious conclusion here is that you are merely projecting.
PAL has colorburst. It's just a different frequency. That doesn't make it superior. Sega is just dumb for not designing their product properly.
>>
>>4965208
It makes me so angry when I think about how much money I spent on inferior products back in the day. Some full price games used to cost like £70-80! How the fuck did we let them cuck us so hard?
>>
>>4965092
Never The Same Color, because PAL version runs slow and visual effects don't work without a shitty signal.
>>
>>4965092
Pal is fine. The human eye can't see above 30 htz anyway.
>>
>>4965092
>run the vast majority of retro games at slower speeds
>have the gall to call PAL a superior format because muh colors and resolution that no virtually game takes advantage of
PALfags are a special level of delusional
>>
>>4967150
You can’t see 4k
>>
>>4966970
Our wives got royally fucked by big black glistening cocks for many years
>>
>>4967279
I like to watch
>>
>>4967303

Gramps, you forgot your trip.
>>
>>4965216
>can run movies without telecine bullshit.
I hop you are enjoying the pal-speed-up and higher-pitched voices.
>>
>>4967858
Actually yeah, it's pretty good. The faster paced, slighly higher pitched dialogue makes the actors seem way more invested, and the soundtrack, not bound by standard chromatic keys, feels much more ethereal than the proper music.
>>
>>4965092
Between those two? The correct answer is PAL.
>>
>>4965337
CRTs don't have pixels, dumbass, they have lines that the beam scans across.
More lines means more resolution, although most PAL games didn't take advantage of the few extra lines.
>>
Only an eastern euro nigger who is too proud to admit that 50z and lower resolution with no real color benefit is worse than NTSC. If given the choice to emulate a PAL or NTSC ROM, anyone with a working brain will choose NTSC.

Seriously, I bet some of you fuckers think a Gendy is better than an NES
>>
>>4965297
>shit framerate is fine because I grew up with it

No.
>>
>>4965674
>Why did you chew that anon out for suggesting colour burst was the issue and then post a link explaining colour burst to educate my supposedly fucktarded self?

Are you retarded? He made an argument and then posted a resource to explain some technical details more fully. That's good posting.
>>
>>4968868
>Only an eastern euro nigger who is too proud to admit that 50z and lower resolution with no real color benefit is worse than NTSC. If given the choice to emulate a PAL or NTSC ROM, anyone with a working brain will choose NTSC.
>lower resolution

PAL has significantly higher resolution you fucking joker. If it has black borders then the resolution is the same as NTSC, that's how it works. Some PAL games also run better and are worth emulating instead over NTSC - all of them if they run at the same speed because of the higher resolution. Now that you've found out you're a complete idiot with no redeeming capability good luck in killing yourself.
>>
You're right about that.
Still, it really doesn't matter when you have a 240p signal to begin with.
>>
>>4965092
RGB
>>
>>4965165
The catastrophe of FFX happened in the internet era.
>>
>>4967251
He's talking about refresh rate, not resolution.

>>4967164
I'm a PALfag and play all my action games at 60 because they feel better even if they have more muted colours.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.