[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1706396818841119m.jpg (138 KB, 744x1024)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Why haven't you done a playthrough of DS1, 2, and 3 with the same build?
>>
>>3372667
roll game got boring ten years ago for me
they havent added any depth or changed the formula at all if anything they've taken it away and the games are just mindless action
>>
Who's actually going to touch Soulsshit after DD2 comes out lol
>>
>>3372667
because i did a playthrough of demon's souls, dark souls 1, and bloodborne with the same build, like a patrician
>>
>>3372667
Because it isn't necessarily as fun in each game? Or isn't even available in each game?
>>
>>3372696
i dont like either of them and I wish there was a 3rd option. granted I think souls is better than DD
>>
>>3372703
>granted I think souls is better than DD
Maybe the original DD, but I'm betting on Dragon's Dogma 2 either flopping or destroying all hype for Elden Ring once people realize how much hacks From Software really are.
>>
>>3372706
i dont really give a shit about DD2 or ER to be honest but i went and played DeS and I was stunned at how many steps backwards their games have taken since
>>
>>3372708
The fact you could actually climb tiny ledges in DeS but couldn't again until Elden Ring blew my mind.
>>
>>3372714
They were probably thinking that jumping would replace that (you can't jump in Demons Souls), but it doesn't really which leads to some annoying stuff.
>>
>>3372708
>>3372714
souls games should have started cribbing more from older zelda games and SOTC but instead they just stagnated or removed features.

kings field is a better series and i wish there were more games that played like that and evolved it
>>
>>3372719
>but it doesn't really which leads to some annoying stuff.
There's some really funny moments when I just stand there and watch some random enemy soldier jump 20 fucking feet in the air to reach me. What a piece of shit game.
>>
>>3372723
Absolutely delusional. If Kings Field were the hit Dark Souls was, you'd be cherry picking things to hate Kings Field for. Which, incidentally, is a much larger list than Dark Souls.
>>
>>3372723
>kings field is a better series
No.
>>
>>3372726
>>3372727
I like it. I like DeS and DS1.
>>
>>3372700
How? What build and weapons did you use? I'm doing one for DS1/2/3 right now, had to choose a weapon that was in all 3 but I'll definitelt explore a bit since one weapon is pretty limiting in terms of fun.
>>
>>3372729
King's Field II and IV are good, but I don't think they're better than any Souls game other than Dark Souls II.
>>
>>3372742
Well its a different sort of thing entirely. I guess I just like bad games.
>>
>>3372667
My build for DS3 is a summoner with Pocket Souls installed.
>>
>>3372667
I wish I could've, but there's no gold tracer and lord's blade set in 2 and 3
>>
DaS1 > DeS > BB >>> DaS2 = ER >>>>> DaS3

Put aside that all Souls games always shit the bed in the last 1/3. Also disregarding Sekiro because I haven't touched it yet.
>>
>>3372802
i agree if you swap des with bloodborne
>>
>>3372667
Did. Bandit knife is op, esp in ds3.
>>
>>3372667
I like to make a sneaky invader with a bunch of tricks and tools for fucking with people in each game, but that looks different in each one because of the different mechanics
>>
File: IMG_3508.png (169 KB, 206x358)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>3372696
I enjoy both
>>
>>3372667
Don’t play the trilogy bundle if you don’t care about online. It has the inferior versions of dark souls 1 and 2
>>3372708
Somewhat agree but Jesus Christ the pure black phantoms are so overturned.
>>
>>3375055
>inferior versions
>>
>>3375069
Yes, the lighting in the original dark souls is ruined in the remaster and dark souls 2 SOTFS has absolutely abysmal enemy placements and more ruined lighting
>>
>>3372696
Dragon's Brownma tards are really another level of delusional
>>
>>3375074
I don't care
>>
>>3375074
So you admit that Scholar was harder for you than vanilla? Shouldn't that make the game more challenging aka better?
>inb4 ''noooooo I meant that enemies should be in different location, my favorite youtuber said so''
>>
File: IMG_5834.gif (2.46 MB, 125x125)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB GIF
>>3375076
Then why would you reply you cum-guzzling faggot
>>
>>3375077
There is “more challenging” and there is absolutely retarded difficulty.
>>
>>3375078
You're acting up and expecting people to go scrounging for specific versions like a nerd. I think I'll just get the trilogy. Like I give a fuck about lighting. I'm here to play a game bro
>>
>>3375080
Ok, explain to me like I'm 5 years old. What seems to be the problem?

And, btw, here's a material for you: I dropped Sekiro because it was too hard for me.
...and then I beat Lies of P, which also relies on parries, and got 1000G (all chievos) before the nerf patch. There is no easy or hard game. You are just better at one, and suck at other game.
>>
>>3375087
To put it simply the SOFT version of ds2 mostly just adds a ton more enemies to areas and has then agro in groups. So you are constantly getting ganked.
Not to say all the changes are bad, in the vanilla version there are multiple bonfires that enemies would immediately attack you in
>>
>>3372678
True. Could you think of anything of value that would improve it?
>>
File: 1706088716752363.jpg (28 KB, 400x400)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>3372667
I did, pure caster in all games
fucking attacking with weapons
get blasted nigga
didn't even level the health stat
>>
>>3375175
(casters)
Sorceries and pyromancy are too good in DS1.

In DS2 (Scholar) pyro is decent; the only problem is you have to cheese Dragonrider so you can get enough souls to level up HP and jump in Majula's well to get to pyromancy flame.
Sorceries are way too good in main game, but kinda suck in DLCs.
Miracles are interesting. Again, you need to cheese Dragonrider and avoid most of the enemies so you can get your first offensive miracles (Emit Force in Wharf) and, because of how limited miracle casts are, it's a struggle (if you don't know the game well) until you open Shrine of Winter and get the access to unlimited copied of Lightning Spear. in DLC areas, miracles are just fucking God tier.
Personally, miracles-only run was my favorite out of those three. Also second fav ''challenge'' run in DS2, just after 30 000 Soul Memory run. I've never tried hex-only run.

Magic just fucking suck in DS3. I mean, the entire game sucks, not just magic.
>>
>>3375186
All good points
I will say playing DS3 was the most painful as I do consider it the worst game in the series, especially for magic
>>
File: 1684928681046.jpg (6 KB, 231x218)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>3372678
>roll game got boring
there are literally multiple ways of dealing with incoming strikes apart from rolling such as blocking, parrying, positioning, magic etc. you are either picking the lowest skill option by rolling or lack the skill tu utilize other options effectively, both being your fault
>>
>>3377885
I know all those ways. They're all the same ways we've had for over a decade. They haven't done anything
>>
>>3377887
does every new game have to change every aspect of it? also elden ring added jumping and guard attack. why fix what's not broken, their efforts are better utilized if they focus on other aspects of the game
>>
>>3377962
Alright man it's fine if you like it.we don't have to butt heads over this. I think it's boring. I played des. I played a ton of ds1.finished ds2 once. I'm done with the games. There's just nothing for me there
>>
>>3372696
I bought DD like 3 days ago because of retards like him, another example why you should never trust anyone on this shit website. It's not even remotely comparable with DS. But yeah, I'm like 7 hours in, but don't have a fraction of the fun I have with souls.
>>
>>3375080
Scholar is like the easiest Souls of all though
>>
>>3377966
fair enough
>>
Every time I try to think up something interesting and different. Every time I tell myself it won't be the same. And then I no brain unga bunga with a club.
>>
>>3372667
because Bloodborne and Elden Ring are better
>>
>>3381234
>Elden Ring are better
Anon, I...
>>
>>3372730
Not the same guy, but Uchigatana, and moonlight sword are In all the games.
>>
>>3372667
i did this with knight. it was really easy. people that dont max vigor are retarded
>>
>>3382855
Vigor is for noobs, endurance all the way. But well, you played the piss easiest class in the first place
>>
>>3372667
I've done it with both MLGS and Pyromancy, actually.
Tried to do faith too but it's just so fucking boring in 2.
>>
>>3375186
>In DS2 (Scholar) pyro is decent; the only problem is you have to cheese Dragonrider so you can get enough souls to level up HP and jump in Majula's well to get to pyromancy flame.
Pyromancy sucked in 2, easily my least favorite souls game to run Pyro in. Too few castings, too much farming and gated shit, and DaS2 fucking loves putting water everywhere, easily the soggiest fucking souls game.
>>
>>3372667
I did both a pure mage and a pure zwei playthrough of the trilogy actually.
But just because I enjoy specific playstyles enough to reuse them across games and even genres I don't see why I should expect others to do the same? It's not like it guarantees enjoyment.
>>
>>3383163
I guess we don't have the same opinion, and that is ok. I hated anything magic related in DS3 because it has FP instead of spell charges. It was never a problem (for me) to farm spells with bonfire ascetic.

Have you tried Butterfly Set run? Now that was fun. Or annoying, depending on how you look at it.
>>
>>3382865
>But well, you played the piss easiest class in the first place
Lmao at this retard implying starting class matters at all past the first 10 minutes of any given souls game for PvE.
>>
>>3383176
I've been considering it, poison sounds hilarious in DaS2. My favorite runs in DaS2 have typically been Melee focused. Greatsword feels amazing to use in DaS2 when you get past everything having too much poise, and I loved how you had the option to go pure physical damage on the MLGS.
And in regards to casting, while I generally don't like any of the casting styles in 2 that much I loved that they tied casting speed to attunement. I'm pissed they reverted that shit, mind is practically useless in ER now once you hit whatever minimum threshold you need for your bread and butter.
>>
>>3383182
Do it.
Your character looks cute as hell in that outfit.
>>
>>3375186
>I've never tried hex-only run.
That's not a dark souls run. It's a dark orb run.
You get a shitload of casts for fairly high damage pretty much unresisted with reasonable speed and range (can't snipe though).
You even get the top staff pretty much immediately.
It's basically the same as sorcery only, but easier.
>>
>>3383190
I did a hex run, no dark orb (too op). Had a few sorceries, maybe only sa idr.
>>
>>3383190
>It's basically the same as sorcery only, but easier.
How good or bad are they in DLC? Hex, I mean. I know that sorcery is bad.
>>
>>3383198
Spellcasters are a meme in the dlc
>>
>>3383177
>Retard who maxes vigor thinks anyone else is retarded
Someone got a concussion
>>
>>3383209
I'm not the anon you're getting pissy at but sure, vig is objectively a useful stat to pump.
>>
>>3383198
You're going to be about half as good as in the base game.
Which in practice only means you should invest in attunement and a good chime to cast resonant soul on top of dark orb, still totally doable.
>>
>>3383216
Useful, sure. But maxing is a noobtrap imo. Solid vigor keeps you from getting OHKO'd, but your maxmax health is is health+estus charges, especially since maxing vigor implies you will get hit a lot, instead of building up endurance to e.g. carry greatshields efficiently
>>
>>3383232
Nah yeah I'd agree with that. First vig softcap is usually fine, you only really need to pump vig past 40 in ER since damage is overtuned as fuck there but even then you can get away with 45-50.
Depends on the game too somewhat, like carry weight is fantastic in DaS1 especially since armor is so strong in that game.
>>
>>3383239
Endurance is pretty busted in DaS1 imo anyway, kinda a weird broken combo to roll equipment load AND stamina into one stat. And you need plenty of both, whether you're a nimble fast roller and just want to equip whatever gear you want, or whether you're a greatshield toting Havel
>>
>>3372696
I thought Darkest Dungeon 2 already released.
>>
>>3372667
i'm pretty close to dropping ds2. some of the areas after the shaded woods are pretty annoying and retarded.
>>
>>3384570
Use a wide sweeping weapon against the phantoms. Apart of that, shaded woods is piss easy
>>
>>3384571
i already beat shaded woods. i'm talking about the shit after, which i've also beaten, but is so annoyingly stupid and shittily designed that i'm at the point where i'm ready to drop the game.
>>
>>3384579
Then do so. Never understood that though, DS2 is the one souls I play when I just want to chill out
>>
>>3383287
The fact that they split weight limit and stamina up in later games actually annoys me because now I have to keep splitting focus just to wear anything.
>>
>>3384639
Didn't really find it that impactful in 3 because the weight thresholds are just odd
>>
I'm almost done with DS2. Pure melee/tank build with Str bow for taking out archers. You can cheese entire sections with just the bow putting minimal points in DEX. It's a pretty easy game overall. Bosses are super easy. All I have left is the Ivory King stages. I'm sad it's almost over : (
>>
>>3387547
Glad you had fun anon. I did my first STR run in DS2 with lances and halberds a week ago and it was more fun than expected
>>
>>3384579
The only facet in the game that's hard is when you've cleared an area, die far from the bonfire, then try to rush to your corpse but you can't skip the enemies because THEY CHASE YOU FOREVER and ATTACK THROUGH EACH OTHER which means you'll end up dying and losing the 50k souls you farmed. All because of impatience. The actual game is not hard at all.
>>
>>3387550
I rolled with a +10 tower shield and +10 longsword for most of the game. Eventually I switched to red iron twinblade on one hand because longsword dps wasn't holding up with the shitty C/C scaling
>>
>>3387558
I love the twinblade in theory and has great applications, like rushing down Elana, but I just hate the range and moveset desu
>>
>>3387559
>rushing down Elana

That's exactly how I used it. I struggled with the boss for about 20 minutes until I stripped down to Guardians robes, put on that one ring that increases dps for low equipment load, drank STR potion, added fire dmg, and killed the bitch in 4 hits. The game is so easy when you use your brain
>>
>>3387566
Lmao right? I struggled so hard with her on any playthrough and during the last one I just brought a regular +10 halberd and aromatic ooze and that was it. Only boss that was problematic whatsoever was Sir Alonne
>>
>>3387550
DaS2 is low key a Str chad game. Heavy weapons are the only ones that can reliably stagger enemies, and personally it has my favorite GUGS in the series.
>>
>>3389276
Every das is. Quality build is named so for a reason.
>>
>>3389276
I still lowkey enjoy dex weapons more desu. Maybe I should retry my dagger only run in DS2 and be smarter about it, or try it in DS3 next.
>>
>>3389284
I dunno, I feel like DaS1 and 3 are better for dex runs, just mechanically I feel like dex weapons do better in those games.
Granted, it helps that some of the best Dex weapons in the series were in 1 (Great Scythe my beloved)
>>
>>3389403
Dual wield dex ds2?
>>
>>3389404
I dunno, powerstance is really good for str builds too. Plus DaS3 has some really strong dex paired weapons.
>>
>>3389403
I agree, at least halberd and lance felt completely busted. Not a fan of greatswords though. In that lance run I also leveled a club to exploit strike weaknesses but never actually followed through. And yeah, dex weapons feel a bit lackluster. Though I also feel like it' the only entry where spears are not utter dogshit.
>>3389404
I dunno, I tried it and not sure if I really had the most fun with that. Tried spears and katanas but it was just okay I think. Dual wield daggers also felt muuuch weaker than single strikes, but I guess the speed of it is meant to apply status effects or something. If someone knows better about dw daggers, please illuminate me
>>
>>3372678
I played Demon's to bits and when Dark Souls came it that was it for me, it scratched the itch.
I tried again with DS3 BB & Seki but nope, the genre doesn't have anything to offer me.
Realising this has saved me money and disk space since I don't have to bother with elden ring etc.
>>
>>3372667
The hell you talking about?

I was a double swashbuckling stamina monkey in all of the games.

DS1 because avoidance is more effective than soaking way to fight. DS 2 + 3 because it was forced upon me and Bloodborne because that's the starting fighting style.
>>
Dark Souls 1: Chaos
Dark Souls 2: Hexer
Dark Souls 3: Strength
These are the most fun builds.
>>
File: weapons.png (84 KB, 1797x528)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>3372667
quick, /vrpg/. make your trilogy build
>>
>>3394641
>>
File: DS2 30k setup.png (314 KB, 1005x603)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>3394641
I'm goind with this.
Unless I don't get Rapier as drop, then I have to make some changes in levels.
>>
I hate to admit it, but replaying the DaS2 DLC again, I'm starting to reconsider how good they actually are. I think it's easy to remember the really cool moments in these DLC while burying the fact that a vast majority of Ivory King and Iron King as tedious, boring slogs through areas stuffed with overly bulky enemies that feel just a bit too numerous and have absurd poise for no good reason. Ivory King especially, I love the aesthetic and the final boss of the DLC but everything else just kind of sucks and it ends up feeling like a troll DLC in how spiteful a lot of the design feels. It just ends up feeling like a slog at the end of what already feels like the longest DaS title.
That said Sunken King held up and is probably my favorite part of DaS2 now. Fun gimmicks, great level design, and the best bosses in the game.

>>3393989
Chaos falls off too hard in DLC thanks to everything having high elemental resists, also I wouldn't really call it a real build since it's just stacking humanity. Unless you mean the Chaos Blade but I'd just consider that a dex weapon. And if you mean Dex is the most fun way to play DaS1 then I'd agree, dex is stacked in 1.
I can't really disagree too much with the others, but I'd put Strength over Dark in 2 and Faith over Strength in 3 if we're talking purely fun factor.
>>
File: 20240217183746_1.jpg (435 KB, 1920x1080)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
DaS3 has been pretty fun so far. Even the regular enemies and phantoms are good fights.
>>
>>3372667
because i didn't really enjoy ds1 and only cleared it out of obligation to my friends, and then ds2 was one of the most boring games i've ever played, and then ds3 was even worse to the point that i didn't even finish it.
>>
>>3395022
I just started replaying DaS3 myself, honestly having a lot of fun with it. I decided to try to do a hex run of all three games, which means I have to do the Aldrich grind. But, surprisingly, I'm getting a lot of invasions and I've lucked into an SL/Weapon Level combo that seems to be mostly filled with novice players and one hacker so I'm almost done with it. Every time I go for Aldrich invasions in the proper SL it ends up being some of the most fun I've had with Souls PvP among all the games in the franchise, it makes me really wish that FromSoft didn't go so lazy with invasions in ER. Maybe we'll get more diverse invasion styles in the DLC.
>Dark Hand
The good ol' reliable early game destroyer. I've used that thing so much that I've started going out of my way not to get it which is also kind of nice since it means not having to do that annoying suicide farming to get Yuria to show up.
Make sure to grab the Saint-tree Bellvine from the lower section with the worm monsters. It's by far the most useful offhand for a pyromancer build since the passive casting speed boost applies to all spells, regardless of type or which catalyst you use to cast, and Pyromancy benefits a ton from casting speed.
>>
File: snap.webm (3.7 MB, 1920x1080)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB WEBM
>>3372706
>destroying all hype for Elden Ring once people realize how much hacks From Software really are.
Elden Ring is pretty fun. I'm not even sure DD2 will be decent, the first one sure is overrated goyslop. It won't have good legacy dungeons and bossfights, thats for sure.
>>
File: 20240218155825_1.jpg (497 KB, 1920x1080)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
Ah yes, the best dungeon in the entire series.
>>
Started my first fth build ever in any DaS, on a herald in DS3. So far pretty much the most difficult playthrough I had so far, but finally can use Dorhy's Gnawing. Does it get even better? So far hurling lightning spears was a bit meh
>>
>>3395867
Yeah sunlight sword is pretty crazy.
>>
>>3394790
I have a weird tendency to quit souslike games before killing the last boss. I don't see the point of spending 5 hours dying and doing stupid tedious corpse runs just to reach the end of the game. When the progression stops, there's no reason to continue. No new gear to acquire, no new zones or enemies or bosses to look forward to, just a cutscene and credit roll. What's the point?
>>
>>3395867
The issue a lot of players have trying a faith build in DaS3 is that they come in with this idea that the playstyle is just sitting back and flinging spells like other casters. That's how they worked in 1 and 2, but in 3 specifically the playstyle now revolves heavily around the Talisman skill Unfaltering Prayer, which lets you cast miracles with massively buffed poise (to the point where it's practically unbreakable in PvP). The ranged damage on Miracles tends to be kind of shit, but most of the lightning miracles have an additional melee hitbox that you typically want to be hitting with. Lightning Stake is your bread and butter spell and the thing you should be relying on if you want to focus purely on miracles, with Gnawning as a really strong ranged option to have in your back pocket. Getting the balance down can be kind of weird though because you need to focus on survivability as well as damage since you're going to be trading a lot. Doesn't help that you also want a fair amount of FP because miracles tend to cost a lot of it.
If you're starting Herald though it might just be better to go for a hybrid build and just use miracles for support. Sunlight Sword + any Faith based buff can be pretty nuts, especially since its weapon art is another buff that you can stack up with a weapon buff.
>>
Because I get halfway through DS2 before it's horrible design wears me down and I stop, and DS3 has new stuff I want to try out before I ultimately put IT down too because the level design is horrible and the fights are too obnoxious.
I literally only play Dark Souls and Demons Souls.
>>
>>3396062
Yeah, my intention was to go for strength/faith, but right now I'm pushing faith more so I can use lightning stake and the buff. The biggest difficulty as far as I can see is that, if you wanna go for that paladin build as herald, have to invest skill points in pretty much everything. I can't wear too heavy stuff because I can't focus on vitality. I get 2hko by pretty much everything because I can't focus on vitality. I can't cast much because no attunement and so on. I think it will open up probably once I hit 30 faith and can be more liberal with stat distribution. So idk why the poise buff is so valued since I can't tank hits anyway.
Thanks for the good advice though, I'll check out the sunlight sword as well. I wanted to do a halberd run and now that I'm so far into my playthrough I start to doubt whether I actually like them in 3
>>
>>3396076
I wouldn't suggest mixing strength with lightning, going full in on lighting miracles leaves you too spread unless you grind up to really high SL. The easiest way to go would probably just be to focus on buffs, Blessed Weapon is an especially good buff for lower Faith builds since the buff it grants is based on the weapon's AR instead of the caster's spell modifier. It's a shame you have to beat Dancer early if you want to use it before the late game.
>>
>>3396065
>the level design is horrible and the fights are too obnoxious
how is ds3 worse than dragon asses
>>
>>3396080
Makes sense. I'll see how potent the stake is and build from there. If the lightning buff is good I might just stick too buffs until post game. But I probably really need to bolster up my defense and offense up, Aldrich made me his bitch before like never before
>>
>>3396085
You can always respec too at the church, plus one of the best lightning spells is locked behind Nameless King.
>>
>>3396089
True. I never respecced in any Souls before but I should maybe consider when SHTF. Or I'll grind silver knights in Anor Londo for a while. Gonna finish Yhorm first and see where i stand
>>
>>3396082
DS3 has dragon asses but theyre just actual enemies. The formula is exactly the same, twisting areas you can see from a distance with horseshit groups of enemies you dont want anything to do with after the first fight.
>>
>>3396095
>The formula is exactly the same
DS3 is more than 1/3 of a game and all of its worthwhile content isn't locked away in a DLC.
>>
>>3396099
the formula not being finished doesnt make it not the same one used.
>A swamp
>A Sacred Forest
>Rolling
>Gigantic Weapons
>Obnoxious encounters
>Looping Areas

its Dark Souls, again. I cant think of a single thing DS3 improves upon compared to DS1. thats not to say i actually even "dislike" either game but everything after DS1 was rote and predictable within the actual Souls line and its clear Bloodborne and Sekiro were made with actual enthusiasm due to finally being able to do something different.
>>
>>3396112
Your argument was that ds3 is worse than ds1. Stop trying to move goal posts and stick to the discussion at hand. Try again but make an intelligent post this time.
>>
>>3396121
where was that written. my argument was only that DS3 still has "Dragon Asses" tier enemies. Engage with the statements at hand instead of inventing "what you REALLY meant was _____" headcanon and using trite, easy memes in the form of "moving the goalposts" next time

but fine, lets go with it because i want the discussion, what makes Dark Souls 3 better than 1?
>>
>>3396123
>where was that written
>>3396065
>>3396082
>>
>>3396123
>what makes Dark Souls 3 better than 1?
Better enemies, better level design, better weapons, better build variety, better bosses, better online features, better graphics.
>>
>>3396126
>in posts i didnt write
i see
>>
>>3396128
Then why did you reply moron
>>
>>3396127
i feel need to add the disclaimer that im not disagreeing out of pettiness but... nah.

>>3396129
>why are you talking about videogames on an anonymous videogame board
>youre supposed to let me be a retard and ignore the arguments presented so i can complain about the person making them
>moron
lel
>>
>>3395601
I really WANTED to like Elden Ring but it's equal parts frustrating and absolutely boring.
>>
File: dasbosstierlist.png (1.55 MB, 1140x1221)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
Just replayed the trilogy, here's the objective DaS boss tier list. Fun is the biggest criteria but other facts surrounding the fight were considered as well (in order of general importance: atmosphere, soundtrack, storytelling, the boss run, and MUH LORE)
>>
>>3396133
Issues with boss design aside (which I agree do exist to an extent but is an entirely different discussion), I think the biggest issue with ER is just that the open world doesn't really contribute to the game. The core mechanics aren't built around open world exploration so it kind of just ends up feeling slapped in, padding that you have to sit through because traversing the world is a boring slog thanks to Torrent.
>>
>>3395601
>the first one sure is overrated goyslop.
But enough about Elden Ring.
>>
>>3395601
Everything about this webm encapsulates everything I hate about the cretinized dysgenic trash that plays Souls games
>OMG EPIC NAKED MAN FUARKING OWNS BOSS WITH MEME SUICIDE BOMB STRAT!!!
>>
>>3396179
It's literally a less gay version of the dragons dogma griffin webm.
>>
>>3396183
Fuck Souls, fuck Dragon Dogshit, fuck Monhun.
>>
>>3396144
>I think the biggest issue with ER is just that the open world doesn't really contribute to the game
I do not like the dungeons of reused content, BUT they are an objective improvement over chalice dungeons and the sheer quantity enables the creation of a world big enough to house an unthinkable amount of build variety. I am actually of the opinion that labeling ER as a souls game is wrong. It's a souls flavored open world game, not a open world flavored souls game, and it has all the warts that an open world game entails, while still being far better than most.
>>
>>3396189
It's better than most open world games because it isn't really doing anything with the open world. For better or worse, ER's open world is just padding that exists between areas of interest, the act of traversing is a chore rather than the main gameplay. The core gameplay is still very much just Dark Souls 3 but everyone has big dumb buttons they can spam now thanks to ashes of war. I wouldn't consider it an open world game primarily because the open world is such an afterthought.
>>
>>3396191
>the open world is such an afterthought.
It's not though, the open world is objectively more engaging than endlessly clearing bandit camps in a bethesda game or doing shrines in botw, or god forbid anything ubishit.
>>
>>3396195
It really isn't, the rewards you get for clearing open world anything is so minuscule (enemies give shit for souls and the drop rates on items is generally awful, useful treasure is spread thin and the odds that you're stumble upon anything your build can use is tiny) that you're taught as a player to just ignore everything and rush to landmarks. ER would strictly be a better game if all the Legacy Dungeons were just directly connected.
>>
>>3396199
>It really isn't
Yeah it really really is and if you'd rather mash m1 at bandits for a random loot chest at the end of a linear dungeon well I don't really think you're a rational person worth responding to.
>>
>>3396199
>100+ hours worth of hand placed enemies and loot is the same as level scaled numbers go up content
Unironically kys, absolutely insane.
>>
>>3396204
Oh, and what sort of engaging gameplay can I expect to find in ER's open world? Holding forward on my control stick for five minutes, get off my horse, and then mash r1 in their direction for 50 runes and a pat on the back?

>>3396205
Disingenuous post, but please do explain what core mechanics of Elden Ring make exploration and world traversal fun. Because it surely can't just be fighting the same 10 "hand placed enemies" over and over.
>>
File: drooling-anime.gif (1.53 MB, 498x448)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB GIF
>>3396208
>Because it surely can't just be fighting the same 10 "hand placed enemies" over and over.
There are 146 unique enemy types in elden ring. For comparison, gothic has 57, and this is while being super generous and including things like 3 different varieties of rats all with the same attacks animations, and as for different AI, well, it's all the same regardless of species. I'm really curious what this perfect open world game in your mind is.
>>
>>3396216
*gothic 2 with the expac, gothic 1 has far less
>>
>>3396195
>It's not though, the open world is objectively more engaging than endlessly clearing bandit camps
Except that's all you're doing in ER. It's nothing but long stretches of nothing but mobs with SOMETIMES a hidden dungeon made with reused assets that you fight reused monsters in. It's big for the sake of being big and I think I'd honestly prefer a shorter game without a commute.
>>
>>3396216
The core problem is the very idea of open world games themselves. They're always big for the sake of being big but do nothing but pad the clock with mindless busy work and bobbing for shinies that don't really do anything. Dark Souls 1 gad better open game design letting you tackle things in different orders but didn't feel like it was wasting your time. A game doesn't have to be open world. Sprinkle a bit of non linearity and it's all you need. Nothing is worse than driving for 20 minutes to get to a boss that pancakes me because the game wants to be drive in a different direction than the obvious path forward.
>>
>>3396238
>Dark Souls 1 gad better open game design
It actually doesn't and honestly the only meaningful consequence of its "nonlinearity" is really badly designed levels trying to accommodate being approached backwards or forwards, and all that is gained is picking one of two directions to run in at the start of the game, picking up a broken weapon, and proceeding to route identical to every other playthrough, whereas ER is broken up into genuinely nonlinear and large chunks of content.
>>
>>3396448
Awful opinion. Dark Souls has the perfect balance of non-linearity and curated level design that makes it fantastic to play even over a decade later. It's a design philosophy where you get funneled towards a very curated and tightly designed path, yet with game knowledge you can very easily sequence break and access a large chunk of the game early.
DaS1, naturally, benefits heavily from not being open, meaning the devs typically know where you're entering from and cam design accordingly for every entrance. ER's open world can't be designed that way by the nature of open worlds, resulting in this constant struggle between design ethos where on one end you have the devs trying to respect your freedom, and on the other you have these inorganic WoW style mountains everywhere trying to funnel you into specific set pieces or to segment areas into pseudo levels. The result is a self contradictory slop of ideas. And then there's Torrent, whose only meaningful gameplay addition is movement speed, which pushes the player to just ignore shit and ride to the areas with actual level design.
>>
File: snail.png (458 KB, 687x687)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
>>3396583
>Dark Souls has the perfect balance of non-linearity and curated level design that makes it fantastic to play even over a decade later
I literally just played through it last week and it was boring and bad, now I'm playing DaS3 and having fun. Literally back to back. DaS1 is not a good game, I couldn't even be bothered to do the dlc, i just wanted it to be over so I could move on.
>>
>>3396738
>avatarfagging
That’s cool and all, but I’m not reading all that
>>
>>3396741
You read all of that and you're a nostalgia blinded retard with bad taste.
>>
>>3396747
>muh nostalgia
They are both old games.
>>
>>3396755
I am playing them with zero nostalgia. I could care less about dark souls, it is the least appealing of fromsoft's titles to me and always has been. The facts are that das1 is an incredibly flawed, lazy, and sloppy game and most things people praise it for are flat out lies. People play it over and over because it is easy and predictable, not because it is good. It's the same mentality of bethesdrones.
>>
>>3396142
>nito in b, wolnir in d when he's just nito but not boring
Makes absolutely zero sense.
>>
>>3396738
I like 3 and 1 for different reasons so I'm not sure why you're trying to force some artificial rivalry.
Not unless you're a shitposter looking to rile people up, which would explain why you don't bother to defend your position at all and just jump from bait to bait waiting for something to stick.
>>
>>3396767
?
Wolnir is a gimmick boss, you just pop his jewelry and he's dead. Visual similarities aside the two fights are completely different.
>>
>>3372667
Not RPG.
>>>/v/
>>
>>3396784
Wait for the next jannie casting
>>
>>3396142
> capra demon in F

FILTERED

it's nothing spectacular but you clearly got rolled by him repeatedly if you put him below the butterfly
>>
>>3396791
>No you see Capra Demon is secretly genius because... um git gud?!?!
At least Butterfly has mechanics.
>>
>>3396781
Both function the same, you cant run from either or you lose, there's skeleton adds, and they do big sweeping strikes while sitting in your face. Mechanically they are the same, but wolnir cleverly adds more mechanics with 5x as many attack animations while being an abnormally large monster. Nito is a terrible fight, you just stand right in front of him and occasionally roll when he does his long slow sweeping attacks and that's it, generally an F tier boss and it's so mind boggling you'd rate him highly I don't know if your opinion can be trusted on anything.
>>
>>3396862
That's a very shallow and reductive way of looking at the two fights, and it completely ignores mechanics in both (such as Wolnir's big fuck off field of death behind him and Nito's unique projectile).
>there's skeleton adds
Are there? I blitz Wolnir's gimmick weak points so I genuinely don't remember if he can. Never does for me.
>>
>>3396875
>Nito's unique projectile
Nito doesn't have a unique projectile if you stand is face, he just does 1 of 2 attack animations over and over and that's the whole fight. Are you honestly retarded?
>>
>>3396880
He almost always opens with it, and if you're in his face you have to watch out for his fuck off AoE instead.
If you're just going to lie I don't see the point in continuing this discussion.
>>
>>3396893
He opens with it because you are not close. His aoe attack is effectively just another sweep, the "2" of his 1 of 2 attack animations. It's really bad lmao, this is hilarious. You are getting scared now and trying to pull out because your ignorance got called out. What I am saying is objectively true, you are dead wrong and lack critical thinking skills, so I agree the best course of action is for you to keep quiet and never post again. In any thread.
>>
>>3396791
It's a shit boss fight.
>>
>>3396142
>gwyn
>A
lmao jesus dude, this whole chart is a mess
>>
>>3377966

So you just did the typical 4chan thing of coming into a thread about a game you don't like, find boring and have no intention of playing, and just bring negativity immediately in the first reply?

Why not just scroll on by and go post positive things in a thread for games you like rather than encouraging shitposting
>>
>>3372667
That's what I do anyway
>Ds1 - Zwei - > Demon Greataxe
>Ds2 - Greatsword -> 2 Greatsword / 2 Fume UGS
>Ds3 - Greatsword -> Fume UGS
>Bloodborne - Kirkhammer -> Wheel if I'm feeling it.
>Elden Ring - Greatsword -> 2 Greatsword
>>
>>3372667
because I made each character descended from the one I had in previous game obviously, and each one rejected their predecessor's build.

>>3383190
I did a hex only run and... yeah it's a dark orb run. Bring along a chime for resonant soul/great resonant soul if you like. To spice it up I made a dark infused roaring halberd and cast dark weapon for ultimate dark damage, and had a fun time with it. Just switch to pyro/miracles for darklurker otherwise you'll have a bad time
>>
>>3394641
exCUSE me where is my crescent axe weaponfu? I would use it and be a sunbro healer
>>
I have never once paid any attention to the lore and story in these games at all. I'm sure it's all very fascinating and deeply thought out but the very nature of the game makes it completely uninteresting and I have a hard time caring about the NPCs and setting when basically every conversation is
>Oh hello. I am a sad person. We should team up later and do sad sad sad sad
>Hello again. I'm still sad.
>I'M SAD AND INSANE!
Honestly outside the amusement of hitting shit with an axe I don't think I care if the fire's get lit again or die out or whatever it is the fuck I'm trying to accomplish.
>>
>>3398155
That's cool. The magic of Dark Souls is that despite being a wonderfully crafted artsy fartsy series, it also attracts unga bunga 4 INT morons and they can enjoy it as well
>>
>>3398179
>artsy fartsy series,
I never really got that impression myself. I feel like it does just enough to get lore fags going but never actually tells a proper story. It's like when someone tells you about the their customer tabletop setting and all the world building they put into it but then when you say "Okay cool what are we doing and why" they completely go dead.
>>
>>3398895
I dunno, if you get informed about the process of art direction you'd get a better view of it. Things like them doing a tiny gesture in motion capture over and over for weeks, just to capture a subtle feel that turns out to be imperative to an important twist in the story and lore that is otherwise never spelled out. That's what's both artsy fartsy and simplistic about DS. There is tons and tons of design ideas, connections. The game just rewards you for being attentive not only in terms of succeeding the game, but also in exploring the story and lore. Imo a very interesting approach. Anons usually complain about moviegames with hours of cutscenes and loredumps, but when you do the exact opposite and tell the story by subtle means, using elements of a game instead of making it into an interactive movie it's suddenly bad as well
>>
>>3399586
you dont get to use perceptions of bad games as a cope for praising other things. the exact opposite of a bad thing is not always good.

theres telling a story by subtle means and then theres repeatedly alluding to elements that will never appear. Every argument in favour of Dark Souls narrative is "oh you just didnt get it" or "you must not have delved deep enough" and its never any more valid a defence as the first time.

it makes you feel smart and cultured for piecing together a headcanon and thats how it suckers people in. a good storyteller knows how to do that, sure, but if its your main gimmick for 20 years it starts to become transparent and lame
>>
>>3399656
Right. It feels like any plot that's in the game is completely detached from the actual game itself. There's barely any real character or motivation. A few npcs have some stuff to say and you could make the case for following their quests lines but the actual player focused narrative is just... some dude says ring a couple bells so I guess that's what I'm doing. I certainly don't want the game to be an overly cinematic affair that explains every stupid detail but what's the point of anything. And no I don't mean that in the bleak nihilistic dark fantasy sense, I mean why am I physically motivated to go pound my head against a wall and horrible monster when all the other "characters" seem decently content to sit around sulking. Why does the Chosen Undead want to do anything beyond the insistence of the player. Like Shadow of the Colossus was a very light plot game but you at least understood the heroes motivation, why he's there and what his end goal was.
>>
>>3372667
Because this contains the inferior versions of 1 and 2, and 3 is a shit game. Plus PS3 Demon's Souls still MOGGS them ALL
>>
>>3400536
i feel like even something as simple as rare random encounters with friendly NPCs just wandering around confused wouldve added SOMETHING to the game. Even validated in the lore that they cant actually make any progress due to the undead curse making them aloof and forgetful.

Imagine dicking around in Darkroot and seeing Seig or Solaire pottering around by some trees and going "shieeeeet wassup my DOOD" before they drop you an item and send you on your way.

Anor Londo had this somewhat but its just another case of NPCs teleporting around to give you a single line of dialogue. The entire series is closer to a SNES RPG or Zelda game than anything worthy of being made on the hardware its on- and while that may be commendable to people who hold those games dear, its not as valuable in an era of games where Zelda games actually have all the things i just mentioned. Its a good job the gameplay is actually significantly well designed for what it is because the smoke and mirrors for lore certaintly aint good enough to hold it together
>>
>>3372667
I did, starting from DS3>BB>DS1>DS2(>ER). You'd think DS2 would be easy since it was the last souls I got to play, but it actually ended up being the most challenging lol
>>
>>3375074
>YOU MUST PLAY THE VERSION WITH LESS THINGS BECAUSE MUH RETRO GRAPHICS
>>
Is there a way to make DS2 Playable on PC, or should i get a refund? I start the game after having a blast with DSR, and the lazy fucking nips didn't even bother to REPLACE THE CONSOLE BUTTONS
>>
>>3396142
I'd be curious to hear why you're ranking Oceiros that low and Sinh that high.
>>
faithchads can't lose
>>
>>3408086
Not him, but my memory of oceiros is "vordt but 10x cringier", so why would anyone rank him high?
Sihn was mostly fine, but had the same problem as all flying bosses: midfight downtime while you wait for him to come down.
>>
>>3408229
Oceiros is pretty unremarkable and the only time I actually struggled with him was when I tried to harass him with that short af Irithyll short sword. That is for combat of course, sadly he's censored and design wise one of the creepiest and most interesting bosses
>>
>>3408239
>sadly he's censored
I assume you refer to the baby squashing thing.
I'm going to be honest and admit I'm bad at appreciating visual creepy, but if it actually did that shit in game my mind would have gone immediately to Liu Bei baby football and made the boss even harder to take seriously.
>>
>>3408271
No offense anon, but you may really be bad at it. Though idk, if the graphic fidelity or whatnot doesn't match it, it might actually end up being pretty silly. But I'd trust From to make that scene actually impactful
>>
>>3408298
>No offense anon, but you may really be bad at it.
It's all about mood for me. If I'm in unga bunga mode there's no way you're going to creep me out with designs. You wanna spook me, put me in prey mode, not predator.
It's an issue of themes. From can't expect me to be creeped out by an act of violence, no matter how dire, after spending 30h blending enemies into homogenous pulp.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.