[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's Monday yet again. What monster collecting and monster raising games have you been playing?
>>
>>3402885
I've been playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (not Unite) and it's a blast lol. My first MH game. I'm like 60 hours in as a gunner and only now getting into the groove of how it's meant to be played. Killed the water monster yesterday.
>>
>>3402906
>how it's meant to be played
>gunner
>>
>>3402885
I'm getting weirdly hyped for the MHS1 remaster despite already playing the game on the 3DS and later dropping MHS2 around halfway through. Still not gonna get it, probably, but I'm excited for other people to play it for the first time. Maybe I'll get back to 2 to commemorate 1's rerelease.
>>
>>3402953
>dropping MHS2 around halfway through
Would you mind telling us why you dropped it? I think 2 is way better than 1 except for the missing element change feature.
>>
File: 43523421.jpg (783 KB, 1674x900)
783 KB
783 KB JPG
>>3402885
>Monster Hunter Stories 2 and SMTV both released in 2021
>MHS1 ports and SMTVVengeance both announced in the same direct and being released in 2024
Never thought these series of all things would end up so side-by-side.
>>3402953
I'm on the fence. I've played MHS1 back on 3DS, and ended up playing through it again, though not finishing it, on Bluestacks awhile back.
I think it'll depend entirely on the price. The mobile version is $20, which I think is the perfect price for it and would help it sell a lot for most people. $30 at the absolute most.
I'd be willing to get it again to support it and probably play it sometime again if it's $20. Especially given it's actually including the Japanese content that was never localized.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.71 MB, 4000x3000)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>3402885
I bought DQM3 and all the DLC day 1 except for the hourly rewards bullshit. Got a good week out of it but got bricked by the second boss your dragon brother . Honestly I've had more fun with Palworld as a monster catcher than anything else. I've burned myself out on spreadsheet tism and jrpg auto battles for now I think. It just makes me really sad. I love the DQM series and I think it's a really good modernization of the old mechanics. But I can't bring myself to play it. I enjoy mindlessly grinding for hours sometimes but right now I can't stomach it. I look forward to the day I pick it up and finish it though. I've bred a boss monster in every DWM game since the original. picrel.
That being said I think Palworld is the monster catcher I'll be jumping in and out of. It's a bit more casual but there is still some good tism to be had farming for traits. I'm hoping in a few years mods will get really good for it.
>>
>>3402885
I'm trying to go through Yo-Kai Watch 3. When does it get good? The voice acting is so obnoxious I have to keep the game on mute. I loved the first 2 games.
>>
>>3402981
Nah, it was more my own fault than the game's, I just got bored and distracted by something else.
>>3402991
Well it's a remaster, so expect no less than $40. Though knowing Capcom a $60 price is not out of the question either.
>>
File: 687776575645.jpg (491 KB, 1063x632)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
>>3403024
I finished up YKW3 a couple months ago.
I enjoyed it plenty, but I will say it's weakest aspect is the whole 'split story' deal and especially just everything with Hailey.
I'd say it improves once you go the Yopple HQ and the two stories finally converge. Yo-kai and inventories are combined at that point, and you can generally play as who you want much more often. Though only in post-game do you get complete freedom with character choice, which only side-quests being restricted to one or the other.
>>
>>3403026
Stories 2 cost $40. It would be extremely stupid to make a remaster of a prequel that's not even 10 years old as or more expensive than the sequel.
Not to say it's impossible for Capcom to be that braindead, but it really would just be common sense to make it $30 at the absolute most.
>>
>>3403043
>Stories 2 cost $40.
Not on release it didn't. Besides, technically the remaster itself is newer, so it makes perfect sense. My bet (hope) is on $40 still.
>>
File: GHKnBPQXUAAY9Q5.jpg (93 KB, 1115x550)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
For anyone that cares about Digimon Con
>>
>>3403135
>literally nothing
>again
>>
>>3403138
Isn't that the epitome of being a Digimon fan?
>>
>>3403135
You'd think with the popularity of the TCG they'd finally make an online program but Bandai is the most incompetent when it comes to anything it seems.

Aside from that been playing some mon demos. Tried Dicefolk and it felt alright but not so sure how much I'd properly like it.
>>
https://youtu.be/HrassLYgyG8
>guy is making a relatively unique Monster Collection game
>keeps only ever using Pokemon as reference
>says in this video that there's currently no plans for combat and that the entire typing system is purely puzzle/exploration based
>partly because he says combat in Pokemon is because people want to 'be the best' and that's not what this game is about
Just sucks seeing potentially cool ideas limit themselves because they think it can only be one way or the other. Monster Sanctuary already proved you can make a game with both combat and where the monster serve out-of-battle functions.
>>
>>3403261
>where the monster serve out-of-battle functions
To be fair, and with full respect to Monster Sanctuary, that was rather rudimentary there.
>>
>>3403263
True, they were made pretty simple, likely so that multiple monsters could have the same out-of-battle ability without too much hassle.
But that's simply a hurdle that comes with the idea of using collectable monsters for puzzle solving/traversal. The nature of Mon games is that you pick and choose who you want, with only a starter and some occasional story beats giving you a guaranteed monster.
If the puzzle-solving abilities of a monster are type-based, which is the case for the idea of the game in that video, then without combat, why would there be a point to ever capture a monster of the same type of one you already have? i.e., you have a fire type to solve fire type puzzles, therefor there's no incentive to ever collect a new fire type. The monsters essentially just become
>pick your favorite-looking key for this lock

It's a complex issue, but I don't think the guy's idea of cutting combat entirely just because he wants a focus on exploration is gonna help the game in any way.
>>
>>3403261
Speaking only from somewhat watching the video but it looks like he's more of a youtuber first and a dev second so it makes sense for him to ignore other sources of inpiration, although not all monsters there look like pokemon so, who knows.
>monster serve out-of-battle functions.
But as an actual dev I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this in my game design.
>>
File: 45543435432.png (546 KB, 1304x673)
546 KB
546 KB PNG
>>3403282
The guy is primarily an artist, and his previous work was on an general collab effort of fanmade Pokemon region. It's weird, because he outright talks about how other Monster Collection games don't reach the heights of Pokemon's popularity. He makes comments about how he wants to do his own thing, but in his videos discussing his ideas, he only ever makes comparisons to Pokemon.
Like how, despite having 3 forms, the creatures can actually freely swap between the forms at will. So obviously like Digimon. And yet all he says is 'unlike Pokemon, they can swap around forms.' And in the video posted, comparing those two big Primal Enigmorphs to legendary Pokemon.

Like I said, it's a shame because I like some of the ideas presented. The mystical, cosmic, steampunk vibe it's all going for pretty different in terms of Mon games. It just keeps feeling like he isn't looking outside of the Pokemon box to take inspiration from, even though he knows it's an entire genre of it's own.
>>
>>3403293
Yeah it could possible be the case for how most people who say 'I like monster collecting' actually have only played pokemon even if they know other franchises exist.

Additionally sketching 17 types is a really bad design choice because its like pokemon but you force people to learn the matchups all over again. So it seems the artist and the devs are all settled on "We can make pokemon but better with our worldbuilding" which is not necessarily impossible but its a noobtrap for dev teams.

Designs do look good and the worldbuilding is decent from what I watched but its still pretty bad if they're going with pokemon as a base.
>>
>>3403302
His examples of other Mon games that failed to reach Pokemon popularity were Digimon, Spectrobes, and Temtem. So, yeah.

Moreover, I think all the types is an especially bad idea if they're forgoing combat and plan to use types purely for puzzles/exploration.
More types inherently means more simplistic solutions of just 'use right type.' And it'd have to have some kind of Monster Sanctuary-type system where you have access to your monsters at all times so you can solve any puzzle at any time. Otherwise it's backtrack city.

In the end this is so early in the concept stage it's not even clear if it's going to be a 2D or 3D game, though a comment about liking the exploration of Pokemon Arceus would point to 3D. All that can really be hoped for that the ideas and designs aren't squandered.
>>
https://www.romhacking.net/games/4921/
For the Fossil Fighter fans
>>
File: 78687664564.png (104 KB, 952x709)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>3403351
>randomizer
Cool. Good reason to replay it.
Also reminds me of how much I wish there was a randomizer for MHStories. 1 or 2, really.
>>
>>3403312
New guy but the only way I can picture this working is as some odd Pikmin clone. So you want another fire guy so want a new fire guy so you can light two torches at once or something and the back-and-forth evolution is for having different levels of the elemental ability and if you are at a puzzle that needs only level one fire guys you won't get softlocked or be forced to grind/backtrack to do it.
>>
So the game is cancelled right? I wanted at least to design some monsters.
>>
>>3403424
>I wanted at least to design some monsters
we can still do that though
>>
>>3403363
https://www.romhacking.net/games/4923/
Forgot to check earlier, but there is also some Champions stuff
>>
File: 1708472034318581.png (2.06 MB, 4000x3000)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB PNG
>>3403440
Well but what kind of game was it going to be? It's important to make monsters.
A serious or a goofy one, low or high stakes?
My ideal would be something like this: goofy like Medabots with low stakes.
>>
>>3403454
Eh, less interested in changes like that. Here's hoping a Champions randomizer comes around eventually. Or more importantly makes some inaccessible vivosaurs obtainable because some are locked behind online stuff I believe.
>>
>>3403459
Just put out both. I mean stuff like SMT has goofy things like Jack Frost, and the best goofy stuff is those where you see edgy-looking things in mundane situations or the reverse. Recycling is also a thing so if monster doesn't get into the game for whatever reason it could be used in something else
>>
>>3403459
>goofy like Medabots with low stakes.
I also think you could have both. Medabots itself has some high stakes moments if you suspend your desbelief for elementary school kids saving the world from terrorists and aliens.
>>
>>3403532
This is very true and I feel bad for not noticing it. I'll pitch my ideas for monsters tomorrow.
>>
File: 1585260729827.jpg (237 KB, 750x750)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>3403459
Just because a game is goofy doesn't mean it can't have serious/cool designs. Yo-Kai Watch is one of the silliest Mon games out there and it still has plenty of pretty cool designs.
Also with Mon games, stakes almost comes down entirely to how it's presented. The majority of Fossil Fighters feels pretty low stakes, and then right at the end you got alien invasion, human extinction, and a literal world eater. It just doesn't feel as serious as the situation actually is because of how it's presented.
>>
>>3403556
I think that stakes point is one of those universal things rather than being exclusive to a subgenre.
>>
>>3403542
>>3403556
All right, it can be both.
Now's the time for picking or not a general theme for the monsters, their biology and lore.
Maybe an MC and villains too.
>>
File: WE'RE SO BORING.png (747 KB, 1420x858)
747 KB
747 KB PNG
>>3403459
Whatever it is, be sure to add a pronoun selection and have the first person you meet be black.
Absolutely love to see freakouts like pic related.
>>
>>3403568
Yeah, true, didn't mean it as an exclusive thing. I just pointed at Mon games specifically because they are generally more aimed at kids, so that dichotomy of how stakes are presented are fairly consistent throughout.
>>
>>3403571
So recalling from the last thread I have 2 general ideas in my mind
>golems that are of different kinds say a fire or ice golem but also non conventional and wacky designs like a candy golem or a clothe golem
>like the proposed part/spore system make the theme biological mutations / augmentations so it could be anything from a mantis arm to a fish fin.
Or a mixture of both
>>
>>3403585
Honestly I didn't think my sharing of my old Golemancy idea would get picked up for the game concept.
The way it worked in how I originally envisioned is definitely more like Gash Bell in how everyone has their own unique, one-of-a-kind Golems. At most I could see it working as a Raising type game, as those feel more individual/special than anything.
I dunno. For my two cents I'm still not particularly into the replaceable parts/spore-like idea, at least not as a collaborative effort like this.
>>
>>3403585
I think each anon should try to sell their ideas to the thread and see what's better.
Make drawings, long posts, etc.
Skill not required, we just need an image of what each anon wants to make.
>>
>>3403459
Is this image saying that (You) as a party member get to take the skills of your monsters? That would be pretty neat. They did this kind of with SMT 4 but it was half-baked since you could only take generic skills and nothing unique.
>>
>>3403609
The way I'm reading it, it looks like Tamer Skills are centered around supporting the monsters.
>>
>>3403609
I'll try to explain it better later. But basically the tamer skills get added to the skill pool of all his/her monsters but the tamer can't not attack, only the monster.
Imagine the tamer as a "subclass" and every monster gets the tamer skills.
If the tamer has the skill "destructive thunder", the monsters can use it.
The tamer also has a Boost Skill but the monsters use it.

Let's all, slowly present our ideas and see what can we do. I'll prepare all my ideas for tomorrow and see what sticks, then I'll help you with yours if you want (maybe you don't like my drawings).
>>
>>3403647
I did already give one of my ideas for combat last thread, essentially combining the idea of SMT's press turns with the resource pool turns of Fossil Fighters.
But I'll also see if I can shittly draw some monster designs too.
>>
>>3403657
Please do.
>>
File: 53534435423.png (695 KB, 2000x2000)
695 KB
695 KB PNG
>>3403657
>>3403705
Welp, here's some from me. Most of them are just basic design concepts really. Only one that I feel is mostly complete as-is, sans color, are the ghosts on the top-left.

Nothing stellar overall. But generally breaking the ice and trying to get things rolling. I will say I prefer monsters have the capability to talk and whatnot. Granted some could be feral too. Basically how Digimon does it usually.
>>
>>3403748
is bottom left le demiurge
>>
>>3403756
Nope. As it said it was a childhood design of mine so I didn't really base it off anything. It was just a dragon with the whole gimmick being that it's frills looked like stylized explosion.
>>
>>3403760
honestly one design that was just le demiurge would be pretty kino.
>>
File: cherub.png (682 KB, 853x480)
682 KB
682 KB PNG
>robo cherub made it out of debisama hell
holy shit
>>
>>3403748
I can work with this. I'm going to make something later and see how it goes.
>>
What ways do some monster taming games balance MP stat?
>>
>>3403748
I can see the serpent/demiurge working with tigrex colors. The flaming cat crawls or floats? I'd make its arms bone too.
>>
File: concept.jpg (3.79 MB, 4000x3000)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>3403571
If the golem idea doesn't pan out, I have an idea on how to throw them a bone: ripping off Kamen Rider OOO but Yo-kai Watch. Have the player character be a medabot and all the parts you equip to it can also be used as party members. 1/2
>>3403748
That top left ghost looks like something from Yo-Kai Watch. The one that makes you bipolar, or puts women on their time of the month.
>>
>>3404020
Now how I imagine this will work is most monsters are summon-only and only a fraction are equipable. When you equip a monster (they'll level up and get exp when worn btw), you get a skill, some of the monster stats, and maybe a passive that boosts your monsters. When I say maybe I mean I was thinking of stealing skill points from Monster Hunter but a lot of equipable monsters give enough for a level 1 buff but most of the more powerful ones do need 2 if not all three monsters to help enable it.

And like OOO when you have only monsters of a set equipped you activate a full combo. It's intended to be better than a normal combo because it boosts stats, activates a special passive or two, and adds effects to the skills you have. For example, let's say in a set there are these two monsters one has an attack that does good damage against airborne monsters the other does good damage against the ground-borne. You can have both out two cover your bases or if you have two other monsters in the set you can have one equipped in the full combo and use the one you equipped to set up for the other.

Now the set thing is going to be limiting since equip monsters would need sets. Then that creates questions like: How many sets? How big should a set be? And how similar should monsters in the set be? 2/2
>>
>>3404020
>>3404022
So its medabots but the tinpet is the player character itself? That also makes me think of silva from shaman king, he had 5 spirits and each one gave him an ability which I think is a cool concept.
>>
>>3404033
Yeah, and depending on how stupid the tone is the parts might be able to glow and talk and/or rip control away to hyjink and bicker amongst themselves.
>>
>>3404020
Could you make it work by also having the non wearable monsters fight alongside you?
If you did that literally everyone would be happy.
>>
>>3404068
So all mons have a base form and an "equipment" form? That sounds good imo. I propose the name: Equimons.
>>
>>3404070
I fucking love this, you're basically fusing everything good in Monggers.
>>
File: Helloogarmon.jpg (1 MB, 3500x3500)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>3404016
In hindsight I should've moved the 'overall a tiger-esque feel' over because it's meant to be for the undead fire cat, not the dragon.
I ended up making something a lot like HellLoogarmon without meaning to, so playing up it's bulky tiger features would be important to help distinguish it,
>>3404020
Funnily enough I'm pretty sure I came up with that ghost design as a kid, before I got into YKW. But the resemblance is definitely there.
>>
>>3404016
Oh and the undead tiger is meant to be crawling.
>>
File: 1709043302914803.png (280 KB, 1023x566)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>
>>3402922
yeah anon they made a quarter of the weapons ranged so that nobody uses them
>>
>>3404227
>set entirely in lumiose city
Little Town Hero 2, let's fucking go!
>>
>>3404068
I was suggesting litteraly that but forgot to type fight alongside anywhere.
>>
>>3404234
Wait, really?
What's the point of making it a Legends game if there's only one location?
>>
>>3404002
>MP stat?
Like mana points? Most mon games just don't have one, or they have a very limited "energy bar" that is static and recharges a fixed amount every turn (unless you use some kinda chargeup move).
>>
File: Little Bunne.png (220 KB, 828x1211)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
I working on something. My drawings aren't good but they could work as placeholders for now.
Is the Equimon system the official one? I'd definitely go with that one but I don't know if I should shill the Tamer System only for extra options.
>>
>>3404659
We haven't had the straw poll or anything to choose jackshit. We're still in the throw shit at the wall to see what sticks phase. You can throw in a third idea if you want even.
>>
>>3404659
If we do stick with 'equip monsters' idea, it DEFINITELY needs a name besides 'Equimons.'
Not only does it sound awkward, and at best like something horse-related, adding 'mon' to the end of something will pretty much exclusively make people think of Pokemon. Plus with Nexomon, Coromon, and while I'd rather not count it, Digimon, it's pretty overused as a naming scheme in general.

As an alternative, the first thing that came to mind is just calling them 'Gears.' Obviously you can equip them, so they are gear in that sense. But something about the name 'Gear' for a type of monster just clicks in my head for me.
>>
>>3404668
Then you're stepping on the toes of the Guilty Gear fans, and you do NOT want those "people" anywhere near your game if you can help it.
>>
>>3404668
I know but I don't want to discuss nomenclatures until the project is almost finished.
My last suggestions is "Equipment Idea" until we find something better.
>>
>>3404668
Equipmon sounded really akward so I took the p out but you're right its still bad. And I agree that -mon is a bad take. We can keep thinking on names. You're close with gears but this anon is right too >>3404698
>>
>>3404698
>>3404701
Fair enough. Guilty Gear feels much more niche and much less people think about, let alone know beyond a surface level, than Pokemon. It's just hard to imagine what GG fans there are getting all angy over a Monster Collection game calling their monsters Gears.
Maybe Gear but in a different language, who knows.
>>3404700
Also true, though.
>>
was there ever an complete English translation for the Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 DS remake? i feel like every time i want to replay it i just play the GBC original but i should probably at least try the remake one day
>>
>>3404698
Other than having a character that drives shitposters wild what makes it so shun-worthy?
Anyways as the guy who brought up bootlegging OOO, I think we should make the lore and toy the protag is going to use to equip the monsters before making termanalogy.
>>3404708
Yeah. Look at the usual sites
>>
>>3404712
its not the series itself its that, like he said, you dont want those people anywhere near anything you do for any reason. the absolute caricature of a twitter user is the people hes talking about. The people that will base their entire identity around one your characters being [Identity]

i can see why you would think this is being hyperbolic or unrealistic but it absolutely does happen and i wouldnt chime in to warn you if i myself wasnt so constantly mortally surprised how out of pocket fanbases can be
>>
Well Dicefolk just came out today. New mon roguelike/dice game.
>>
>>3404708
play the smartphone version if you can, it's the more complete version
>>
>>3404737
yknow whats fucked about that recommendation is that all of the times i used to replay the original was on this piece of god tech and now i dont want to use phones for games because no buttons
>>
File: Cyborgs.png (2.04 MB, 4000x2046)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
>>
File: Tank Bunne.png (1.4 MB, 3000x2070)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
>>
>>3404742
The port is really good, much better experience than emulator control. you can play it with one hand, every menu is clickable with touch screen
>>
File: Gunner.png (196 KB, 1211x1259)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>
>>3404769
Last form is sick.
>>
File: The team.png (2.61 MB, 3000x4000)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB PNG
I'm not suggesting a woman MC, nobody would pay us attention.
It's that I'm really bad at male anatomy.
>>
>>3404772
what are you accusing me of. what are you insinuating. i will be playing COBY's Journey and with both hands. How fucking dare you
>>
File: Our true HEROES.png (2.8 MB, 2250x3000)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB PNG
I'm making a better one tomorrow. Always tomorrow.
>>
>>3404779
Thanks
>>
>>3404782
Clearly, there should be 4 MC options.
Normal Guy, Normal Girl, Tomboy, and Femboy.
>>
>>3404793
That would be good for the Tamer Class system, adapting genders and body types to the Superhero System sounds really hard.
Well I'm going to explain my ideas later, enough mongging for now.
>>
>>3404782
>>3404787
Oh hey those are my designs. Guess I didn't consider the idea that they'd be all mechanical given the general concept of equipping them.
Only one that feels off is the ghost-tiger. It was meant to be hunched over, prowling like a cat, but simply missing it's lower body. The way you did it looks like a weird hairball with legs and a rat tail for some reason.
>>
>>3404806
Yeah and a real missed opritunity for a tattered shadow fire cape or tail coat because of it.
>>
>>3404769
I'm pretty sure last form is a digimon but its great nontheless
>>
File: 1680619935782001.png (135 KB, 350x405)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
Finally got around to playing Monster Sanctuary. It's a bit of a mixed bag.
I like this guy.
>>
>>3405137
I thought all monsters were chibi in monster sanctuary
>>
>>3405215
They are, but the art in the encyclopedia shows them with more detail.
>>
>>3405229
Sounds like a waste of good art.
>>
File: 1691449019055568.gif (1.72 MB, 640x640)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
>>3405215
Actually the sprite is clearly segmented while the journal art isn't and I have no idea why.
>>
>>3405235
Probably done by different people
>>
>>3402885
You know one thing I don't like about mhs is that they basically give you an expendable starter mon and then halfway through the game surprise now you have this completely broken rathalos.
>>
File: 6545534453.png (495 KB, 1542x891)
495 KB
495 KB PNG
>>3404726
Tried out the demo. Seems interesting enough, so I'll buy it. I do like that some of the compendium icons looks a bit like MH monster icons.
>>
>>3405387
>looks a bit like MH monster icons.
Yeah I noticed that too. Pretty cool desu.
>>
>>3404659
>Is the Equimon system the official one?
>official one
Is there a community project I've missed out on? I would be willing to share some of the work I've done on my own.
Already started with a similar idea of human characters taking on monster traits as a totem spirits, alchemy sort of deal(so that I can reuse animations/skelletons). Most of my work as been system design/pipeline stuff that probably can't be reused easily, but I'm open to give advice where I can.

>>3404782
>I'm not suggesting a woman MC, nobody would pay us attention
Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard to give players the option. Presumably you already have a female NPC at some point that needs the assets, so you just develop with reusability in mind.
>>
Since there's no Pokemon this year I decided to try and get through my Switch backlog before PLZA comes out. Started playing DQM3 again after stopping at 6 hours and forgetting it existed for several months. Chain breeding low ranks into higher ranks is addicting but I'm afraid I'm making the game too easy, just fought Raph and it felt like he died just as the battle was getting started.
>>
>>3405707
post post, let's see what you got
>>
>>3405707
>alchemy
That's all you had to say, I'm in. Post.
>>
File: demo4.png (300 KB, 620x877)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
>>3405716
Don't really have much showable stuff. I think I posted a harpy sketch a while back in one of these threads, and I've done literally one drawing since then. You might notice that colors here are shit, that's because I'm so new to drawing I don't know how do color filtering in my new drawing program.
The other stuff is mostly spreadsheets and sketched diagrams. E.g. what is the difference between an Attack and a Hit, how should the CombatActor derive stats from the CharacterActor, what's the damage formula, learn sets for combat skills, etc. Also reference material: cool monsters, landscapes, lists of names for fictional cultures, etc.

I only have the weekends so progrees is slow. Pic was two weeks ago while I had to work the weekend. Last weekend was trying 2.5d bone animation in godot. Massive pain in the ass, would rather make my own animation program.

>>3405751
Backstory is as follows:
>generic fantasy world with magitech/alchemy civilation
>diaster struck that spreads poison
>to protect themselves from the poison alchemists extract the strength of great beasts(dragons, griffons, etc.)
>humanity survices, but grand civilation declines and fragments
>player gets to play around in ruins and conflict of different factions

Current idea is more of a JRPG than monster game. The player can get various companions that each represent one monster line. They have branching evolutions depending on how you develop their personality stats(greed, bravery, etc.). So at the start you'd have the generic lizard person that can become a dragon, a salamander, a naga, all with different abillities.
The theme for the monsters is legendary creatures: Barghest, phoenix, unicorns, to more obscure critters like the vapula or winged lions.

I'm still open to going full mon game, I'm just a nerd for legendary creatures that can't draw shit yet. Art style is also optional, picked anime because I assumed AI could do that one best and take off work, but I was wrong on that.
>>
>>3404769
What were your inspirations here? Me and my friend both think the final form looks like a digimon or yugioh card, but we can't quite get it down and it's driving us crazy.
>>
File: 6565455352.png (542 KB, 1106x542)
542 KB
542 KB PNG
I suddenly got some more ideas for this 'Equippable Monsters' idea.

I remembered that Cassette Beasts also involved tamer 'becoming' the monster. So, I think an important distinction is to have it so the monsters can act without fusing to the tamer.
And then I remembered World of Final Fantasy. It's stacking system, where what would be a six-unit party turns into 2 super units by way of stacking, combining stats and especially moves from all members of the stack. Problem there were it's limitations on team-building and the fact there was next to no reason to never not be stacked.

So, I think it's important to have it worthwhile to have monsters not fused to the tamer. Have it so that focusing on just the monsters, just equipping them, or a mixture of both, is viable.

So, I'm thinking a party of 4 active monsters during combat. With the tamer in the back, likely with more support-oriented abilities.
At any point, any of the monsters could be equipped to
>head
>torso
>arms
>legs
So how many you have equipped and how many are still no their own is flexible.

The truly tricky part would be figuring out how to balance equipping. As shown with Cassette Beasts and World of FF, turning multiple units into one super unit easily warps the balance around that, or with CB, completely breaks the game when used, even with it's cool-down mechanic.
>>
>>3405764
You just described my game idea but without boobs
>>
>>3405766
Not thre drawer but it looks like neodevimon to me.
>>
>>3405772
I think it will be pretty much impossible to truly balance this. Think of power as a function of stats x actions. If one goes up, the other nees to go down, but actions are really difficult to scale because they're often just not granualar enoug. Just think of how powerful an extra turn is in pretty much any turnbased game.

So maybe equipped mons should give things other than power: They only give you active skills that you could use instead of your normal ones, not raw stats or passive efects. Or we make it so that one fully equiped tamer is equivalent to a normal monster.
Let's imagine the games like spectrobes: Your team is always the player and two creatures. Each creature is their own package of abillties while the tamer works like a build your own monster system: Each equipped monster only gives a fraction of their abillites to the player.

That way you always want to fully equip monsters and always have some of them out and the game can be balanced around one level of power.

>>3405776
>implying my game doesn't have boobs too
Female companions: 8, Male companions: 3, all currently have routes to be turned into girls too.
>>
>>3405813
>implying my game doesn't have boobs too
My bad, I meant to say my idea didn't have enough boobs.
>So maybe equipped mons should give things other than power
I'd go the medabots route, each part provides an attack or action (legs change how speed movement works?)
>>
>>3405818
If you're going Medabots with the legs, you can have it affect a lot of things (evasion, damage taken, additional damage bonus to certain attacks)
>>
>>3405840
>(evasion, damage taken, additional damage bonus to certain attacks)
Yeah thats cool I guess. Although the most important feature for different legs is terrains isn't it?
>>
File: 1709163873504807.png (151 KB, 1500x1121)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>3405766
Samael from Hellboy, Dokugumon and a Licker from RE.
Even if I'm not in good terms with Digimon right now, I really like it and I like to make similar things.
>>
File: 1709163982237456.png (1.32 MB, 2078x2856)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
This is my idea for the Superhero System. I made it with my monsters. I think the head is a bit boring.
Tomorrow I will make one with Anon's monsters to see how it goes.
>>
>>3405764
Post apocalyptic stuff is so good
>>
>>3405772
As the guy who threw it in I was picturing a thing like SMT or spectrobes where you have the monsters and human side by side and the human can do everything but not all at the same time so you need the monsters too. And the guy in the front gets hit more thing is there too so tanks have a reason to exist. And if you have a monster that has some skill that would be really good for a dungeon that's underleved it isn't a death sentence to bring it without grinding.
>>
File: 646554354.png (779 KB, 1920x1080)
779 KB
779 KB PNG
Just finished my first run of Dicefolk.
Overall I'm enjoying it so far. Feels pretty unique.
Enjoying the designs as well. Haven't seen anything crazy yet, but they at least feel like their own thing and not too much like any other existing Mon game, while avoiding feeling too bland like Monster Sanctuary's.
Love the gorilla shark. Literally two of my favorite animals. Got him in the first area and used him to the end.
>>
File: 1709164531304582.png (439 KB, 1750x1597)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
My suggestion is that every monster becomes a rabbit cyborg.
I think it's convenient to make the monsters similar to each other so the desings can be made faster and easier.
Another advantage is that the game would have a distinctive aesthetic to set it apart from other Monggers.
Now I'll try to shill the lore.
---------------
Basically every cyborg is a mix of machine and an ancestral ambiguous mammal called Wonder Rabbit.
The Wonder Rabbit is a prehistoric antifragile rodent that survived the cataclysm that fucked the dinosaurs. It's the ancestor of all mammals. They were discovered in a submarine cave.
It's DNA is so unique that many think its mere existence is proof of GOD existence. Basically every cell of their body is like mother cells but on steroids. They have an exceptional evolution and growth potential, can be fused with machines and can breed with any mammal. Their DNA can also be fused with any lifeform in laboratories.
Then like every creature in these kind of games, they got turned into collectable pets so kids could partake in glorified cock fighting. Their intelligence comes from the robotic parts not human DNA.
They have three linear stages and the last one tends to be monstrous.
This idea is compatible with any form of Monster game be it Super Hero or Tamer System.
>>
File: 1709163941336576.png (375 KB, 1500x2927)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
If you guys liked the long tongued monster maybe I can make more monsters that look like it.
--------
Now that I've exposed all my ideas I'll let you decide what to do about the game. I'll make more drawings because I like to make drawings.
>>
>>3404806
>>3404823
I wanted to draw a lion mane and a poisonous tail to turn it into a Manticore but I think I fucked it up.
>Yeah and a real missed opritunity for a tattered shadow fire cape or tail coat because of it.
There will be quite a number of opportunities to draw those things. That was only a rushed placeholder to get the Super Hero system going.
>>
>>3405918
I like the idea for the bunnymongs. Lots of potential for spec evo too. Flying bunnies, whale bunnies. Lore's wacky but acceptable.
>>
>>3405918
This sounds like one of those scary and dark disguised as cute things. At the beginning of the game, you see a documentary that the Wonder Bunny is a cute little thing, but when you descend into the secret labs you read some logs or get told the Wonder Bunny was experimented on and mutated beyond recognition. It was then hooked up to a computer, used networks to hijack some battle bunnies, and started some incidents that kicked the game off. (some guy probably assimilated himself into it too) Then you go to that cave because it returned to it as the final dungeon. You then see the lump of flesh, wires, and rabbit parts that used to be the Wonder Bunny fight it, then for the second phase a swarm of battle bunnies charge and jump into it and meldge into a dragon bunny of the same texture.

But that's just my interpretation
>>
>>3405918
I see what you're going for, but I just cannot get into that idea. Just feels like it completely stagnates variety.
Also makes me think of those mobile games where it's about 'one animal' but in order to keep going they warp he animal into some kind of freak monstrosity that isn't even remotely close to what the animal originally was. At that point it's not about the animal anymore, thus losing the original point to begin with.
>>
File: armor.png (151 KB, 385x370)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
Personally I would restrict each monster to be equipped to only a specific slot. Saves us a bunch of work and also prevents players from just treating the system like a simple armor set.
Each slot would have constraints both in what gameplay they provide and in what they can look like. E.g the torso slot could decide the color palette to prevent clown suit designs, while legs might decide the animation type so that we can handle things like centaurs or mermaids.

We should also considere how literal the equipping works. My concern is that we're just reinventing armor sets like pic related. If we say the equipping is more magical in nature than we open up space for things like getting snake eyes or bunny ears from monsters. Doesn't mean we can't also have the cyborg look, but more options are good.

>>3405918
I don't think this is giving us enough creative space to work with. I did just one evolution tree for rabbits and that already was getting difficult to fill with the constraints I had placed on monster design.
Shared skelletons are absolutely what we should do tough. Let there be like 15 mons in the rabbit family, in the snake one, the dog one, etc.
>>
>>3406254
>I don't think this is giving us enough creative space to work with.
It should. Look at Tank bunny and Samael bunny, they are different enough yet they share the same origin.
The only core desings for the idea are the "mask" that represents the cybernetic part and the bunny ears but you can play with them a lot to generate a lot of varied rabbits.

>>3406038
>Also makes me think of those mobile games where it's about 'one animal' but in order to keep going they warp he animal into some kind of freak monstrosity that isn't even remotely close to what the animal originally was.
That's the point just look at Samael. The idea is to make something like Lilo and Stitch or Gremlins 2.
>At that point it's not about the animal anymore, thus losing the original point to begin with.
That exactly the point of the Wonder Rabbit, it evolves into other things and gets freaky. But if you keep the mask and the ears then you're good.

I'll try to post more examples to shill this. But if you don't like it, then so be it.
>>
>>3405986
This guy gets it.
>>3406024
This is a possible outcome and it's pretty good like a Carpenter movie or that movie "Virus".
I had imagined something less freaky where the part that corrupts is the bunny is the machine but they stay mostly the same.
Probably even explore the duality of the Bunny. Being it made of something that gave birth to humanity (father), the biological part wants to protect us while the cybernetic part that humans created (son) wasnts to annihilate us.
>>
File: OOOposter.png (1.03 MB, 746x978)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>3406254
Yeah, that's how OOO does it. Even down to the eyes and stuff. The cobra medal gives thermal vision (though it retains the iconic rider eyes) and a flute and the octopus medal lets him warp his legs into tentacles. Except for the color thing OOO tackles that issue by being mostly black and the medals all give different colored and shaped stripes.
It just sunk in if we are gung-ho about ripping off OOO in game form I shouldn't be the only guy who has seen OOO. The first 2 eps are on YouTube subbed and if you search the full title with download or whatever the whole season is available for free. Also, there's the official KR wiki page on him https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/zukan/kamen_rider_members/136
>>
>>3406291
>Probably even explore the duality of the Bunny. Being it made of something that gave birth to humanity (father), the biological part wants to protect us while the cybernetic part that humans created (son) wasnts to annihilate us.
DEEPEST LORE. I mean its pretty good and we can all contribute our own takes on bunnies and an artanon can then homogeneize designs. I can already start thinking names
>Battle Bunnies
>Bunnymorphs
>Rabbit Gears
>Gears of Bun
Well that last one is sloppy but you get the idea
>>
>>3406291
As that fanfiction writer, what that guy posted if you took out the mobile game part is what I think. Honestly, that whole bunny thing sounds like what the evil syndicate the hero fights with his varied monster party. And if we do make Armor Hero UUU those rabbits sound like good motw material. Have like 2 or 3 amalgamate or shove whatever they have as a collectible soul in a good monster which mutates it into a humanoid lagomorph cyborg. And we could have a neat visual motif where they all have different things coming out of their heads that are or are just evoking bunny ears. For example, a crustacean could have its head be an open claw, a bent Formula One race car, if we have a fire element one there could be a thing where two burners come out of his head, a stag beetle other insects is pretty obvious.

We could do a thing where once you beat the post-game dungeon and restore Wonder Bunny to its original form it purifies all the mook rabbits into obtainable monsters to have our cake and eat it too.
>>
>>3406315
>amalgamate
That made me think, the final power up is just infinite bunnies pilling together to form a mecha bunny.
>>
People, I need feedback of this >>3405875.
Sorry if I made her too fappy, I'll make a manly man later. But those that have no problems with it please give suggs.
And post monsters, rabbits or not.
>>
>>3406363
I don't think the head is boring, it looks like a butterfly or a moth? And is in line with this anons suggestion >>3406315 that the head equip should evoke bunny ears. I like it.
>too fappy
Just give her clothes.
>>
File: 1644530780838.jpg (509 KB, 1208x1500)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>3406277
>Lilo and Stitch
I dunno, the designs feels varied enough it that, they just share an overall cohesive aesthetic. They mostly just share eyes and the koala nose, but that isn't every single one.

Sure, the one cyborg one that looked like a Digimon is cool, but if everything was all bunnies, then it's missing out on the potential of making cool designs for other things in a similar vein.
>but if you keep the maks and the ears then you're good
I just can't imagine myself enjoying a Mon game where everything is hamstrung and feeling like it forces one-two design aspects onto EVERYTHING.
If literally everything else can be whatever, then what's even the point of mask and ears at that point? Almost feels like a lazy way to try and have some kind of 'design coherency' rather than putting in the effort to have both variety and coherency.
Even something like Fossil Fighters which has heavy skeleton reuse and has a LOT of theropods, still has variety for various herbivores, aquatic animals, and even a few mammals. For all the jokes about belts in Digimon designs, there's plenty of Digimon that don't have belts at all.
>>
File: 543453234424.png (2.9 MB, 1920x1080)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB PNG
>>3406485
Whoops I left the YKW cat image back when I was gonna make a point about how bad it could feel to have something centered around one design idea. Meant to post this to show how varied Lilo and Stitch managed to be.
>>
>>3406487
Well yeah thats the idea some of us had in mind. Basically speculative evolution of bunnies, to be as diverse as possible.
>>
>>3406492
I mean from a spec-evo point of view it still doesn't make sense. Everyone on land came from fish but nothing on land resembles fish anymore. Hell, birds are dinosaurs outright, yet the layman doesn't know that because they think dinosaurs are exclusively extinct scaley things.
And sure for a fictional setting reality like that doesn't matter. Point being is everything else about the bunny has evolved into something else, they would no longer have those bunny ears, they'd have different ears, or no ears at all depending.

Lore-wise you could have everything evolve from bunnies. Hell in our world all mammals pretty much came from little rat-like animals. And now we got plenty of things that don't share any similarity with them at all, which is ultimately my point.
>>
>>3406500
It all depends on the time lapse and the setup.
>every vertebrate evolved from fish
I think what we are analizing here with the bunny example is radiative evolution: if suddenly all niches need to be filled and theres only one species, there would be several new species evolved from that species that have different traits but hold some similarities to the original depending on what period of time you look at.
>they'd have different ears
I agree, and the idea of everything having ears is more like the concept of convergent evolution. Idk I'm fine both going full autismo science lore or the opposite.
>>
File: 543544243.png (970 KB, 4000x2046)
970 KB
970 KB PNG
>>3406518
I think from my perspective, ultimately what matters is if it makes sense for the rest of the design.
Since this one >>3404769 caught the most attention, figured I'd use it as an example.

I think it works well as a malformed bunny. Without the ears, they look really blank and empty. Even the final form feels like it's missing something. I think the bunny motif works for it.
But then the idea of 'everything bunny' comes along. And that's where I have to question how, or even why really? Are you going to slap bunny ears onto a shark, a pterosaur, a plant? I don't think no matter how you draw it, you can't really make a design detail like that flow for EVERY design. Especially not in a varied enough way that wouldn't feel forced and ill-fitting for the rest of the design.

If we were to stick with the concept that the monsters of the game are man-made lab experiments, then I just see no reason to not just have it include all kinds of animals, instead of just trying to hamfist bunny into everything.
>>
>>3406254
>If we say the equipping is more magical in nature
Suggestion: there's an older more magic-y version of equipping monsters that looks more like a fusion. It contrasts with the newer tech-y method that looks like cyborgs. Each method has a faction that prefers it over the other. For example church vs. tecnocrats.
Monsters may work with just one or both methods, or may take different slots depending on the method. Just depends on how many assets we want to create.

>>3406492
But have you considered the most important part: can we come up with 100+ bunny puns to name all the monsters?
>>
File: 1694475380406221.png (396 KB, 1252x1800)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>3406485
>If literally everything else can be whatever, then what's even the point of mask and ears at that point?
There's a relation between masks and super heroes so I find natural that monsters related to heroes use masks . But the main reason is "Identity", anon. I want to make the Wonder Rabbit lore, the rabbit ears and the cool masks to shape the identity of the game.
It may look like the equivalent of a stupid teenager putting a stupid pin on his bag and calling himself something, but it's not because we are going to implementing in a way that looks organic.
>Almost feels like a lazy way to try and have some kind of 'design coherency' rather than putting in the effort to have both variety and coherency. I'll show you later
Creating a system to ensure identity and to homogenize the desings is not being lazy. It will allow us to lose less time taking care of individual concepts so we can spend time making the monsters look good. The constraints the masks,ears and cyborg aesthetic will make our desings better. Freedom ain't free.
In my way of thinking the masks and ears are the equivalent of the "Stitch face". I choose them because it will allow us to play with shapes and masks to make diverse yet centralized desings without relying too much in common traits.
>>
File: 1693702942386482.png (1.06 MB, 4000x3000)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>3406526
>But then the idea of 'everything bunny' comes along. And that's where I have to question how, or even why really?
How? Drawing. Why? Because I think it's cool and it will make the game stand out.
>Are you going to slap bunny ears onto a shark, a pterosaur, a plant?
Yes, no and yes. The world of Wonder Bunnies lacks live pterosaur DNA. Shark may be hard but I can pull it off maybe, a good artist could. Plant is definitely possible.
>I don't think no matter how you draw it, you can't really make a design detail like that flow for EVERY design.
Especially not in a varied enough way that wouldn't feel forced and ill-fitting for the rest of the design.
I can ensure it for 85 percent of the rooster. Then the rest would gain identity anyways. Nothing is perfect but it's ok as long as it's good enough.
Many anons like it so we might be into something.
----------
I'll try to show it later, I may fail but who cares. Meanwhile get off of your asses and suggest shit.
Not fixing the Wonder Rabbits, there will be time for that. Original ideas.
Pic related doesn't mean anything
>>
>>3406786
I fucking love carrot bunny tropius
>>
>>3406787
Thanks I love it too.
>>
File: 1625543291233.png (478 KB, 716x639)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>3406784
> It will allow us to lose less time taking care of individual concepts so we can spend time making the monsters look good
I disagree with the idea that we should prioritize quick, snappy generalized design motifs over a designed crafted from the ground up to stand on it's own merits.
The idea of 'ensuring identity' by sacrificing the individual identity of monsters just doesn't feel right. There can be GROUPS of design motifs, but I don't think any one motif should dominate the entirety
The use Digimon as an example again, a lot of eyes are drawn in a very distinct way that is immediately recognizable to those who know Digimon on a basic level. And yet, not EVERY Digimon has those kinds of eyes. Human Digimon more often than not have some kind of face covering, which is something pretty unique to them. It's varied between covering the eyes or the mouth. And even then, not every human Digimon has a face cover, which actually ends up making them stand out as something more noteworthy because they break away from the norm.
>>3406786
>will make the game stand out.
I think the whole equipment idea already works as a way to make it stand out. If you mix the Wonder Bunny and Equip Monsters ideas, then you run into the issue of every piece of equipment needing to shoehorn some kind of bunny motif into it.

That's my issue. Something like cyborgs are broad enough to work as a central design motif on it's own. But a singular animal? I just don't get it. Someone wouldn't be able to have tiger armor, or snake armor, they'd have weird, vaguely tiger or snake-adjacent bunny armor. It feels just incredibly constrictive to the design process in favor of streamlining quite frankly THE most important part of a Mon game.

If enough people are into it I can't exactly stop it. I just feel as though my passion for contributing to it would just stop dead, because no matter what I or someone else would come up with, a bunny would get shoehorned onto the design.
>>
>>3406786
>Meanwhile get off of your asses and suggest shit.
Those are the ideas I've had today:

How to organize:
>phase 1: pre-production
>create a design doc somewhere anons can collaborate, e.g. github
>community sets goals, specialists design systems, review, refine
>when general feel and themes are set, artist can start concepting monsters

As for the technical aspects, my first suggestion would be using godot as the engine. It seems to have all the features needed for this sort of game and as an open source project, even if the project dies the components can be carried forward in the community. Plus contributions look good on the CV for the devs.

I did art research for my personal game before. You can find the most ressources for pixel art(indie games) and chibi/anime style(mobile games). Biggest advantage of the chibi style is that it allows cutout/bone animation. You only need to create one set of animations instead of a new sprite for each frame.
Easiest style of story cutscenes is visual novel style: high detail portaits with switching facial expressions and text boxes. Golden Sun also had a lot of tricks to make those more lively like simple deformation animations and midi voice effects.
>>
File: 345543543234.png (1.31 MB, 4000x2799)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>3406786
>>3406798
And actually to further try and back up my point, I did the same thing as I did with the cyborg bunny earlier.
This time however, I find the design works just fine without the bunny-like leaf ears. Even threw the back leaves on the head as an alt to show some other kind of head ordainment could work.
And that's exactly what I mean. Shoehorning the rabbit-motifs into a design that otherwise does not need them. You got the carrots too, but those could push the design into being a general root-based plant dino. You slap literally any other vegetable there and suddenly all bunny connections are completely gone, therefor making their inclusion a needless endeavor to try and force everything to be bunny.
>>
File: Manticore 2.png (3.04 MB, 3000x4000)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB PNG
>>3406813
No, anon. That looks worse and even if it looks just fine (it doesn't), it looked way better earlier.
>>
File: Punch ghost 2.png (1.69 MB, 3000x4000)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
Look, this is perfectly fine.
>>
File: Demiurge 2.png (1.44 MB, 2620x2566)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
Look at the ears, the design flows and I made it from child's scribbles.
I can't make the cyborg aesthetic, I have to work in that
>>
>>3406937
Looks like horns, not ears. Just make them horns at that point.
>>3406938
The double ghost-wisp on the head is fine but the bunny nose on the face is a completely pointless addition in order to force the theming.
>>3406941
Aain, doesn't look like ears whatsoever, looks more like fiery wisps. No one would fine anything bunny about this.

Again, just reinforces my point. Trying to add bunny features to these is either pointless, changes the base idea of the design, or is so thin it might as well not be related to the bunny idea at all. Besides, all three of these are not real animals so the idea of these being genetically modified animals spliced with the Wonder Bunny is already falling apart.

We could argue in circles about this, but I doubt either of this will budge on this. I simply do not see the need to shoehorn a one-note theming like this for designs to be coherent with each other.
>>
File: IMG-20240229-WA0027.jpg (154 KB, 2048x1890)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Different tries at sketching a flying bunny mascot. I'm drunk.
>>
>>3406798
1- The monsters will have effort in it. They won't be neither quick or snappy. It's just a way to use the time better.
2- It feels right for me to do something that stands out with lots of identity.
3- Digimon gets hard carried by his art style but we can't do that unless you hire a pro. Also Digimon is Digimon, we need to make something original or we're going to end up like the rest of the genre.
4- Armored Knights it's not exactly a novel concept, you are ripping it from Kamen Rider. We need to make it stand out with the Wonder Rabbit lore.
5- We can mix lots of animals with rabbits to make it stand out even more.
6- Freedom ain't free, creativity flourishes in set rules.
7- You need some filters. Specially for community projects or it's going to be chaotic.
8- The genre is mostly shit, Why do you want to keep following retarded rules that only work for Pokémon?
>>
File: chemmies.png (831 KB, 1350x629)
831 KB
831 KB PNG
If we're talking about characteristics that make you go "Hey that's from this" I really don't think it's needed. Just having an art style is enough. But if we are doing it we should do something more subtle like what Gotchard chemmies have. All of them have the Rider eyes and arrows on or in them. It's still obvious what it is but not constricting or forced.
>>
>>3406798
>If you mix the Wonder Bunny and Equip Monsters ideas, then you run into the issue of every piece of equipment needing to shoehorn some kind of bunny motif into it
I think this anon is right in this. Both ideas sound cool but mixing them would end up being a worse design choice.
>>
>>3406949
No, we're complete opposites, this is useless.
Well, I'm here to practice a bit. I shouldn't get into autistic arguments.
>>
File: Anomalocaris.png (461 KB, 1159x300)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>>3406959
>1
We don't need to 'use the time better.' We're still in early concept stages for literally everything. We also have multiple people contributing ideas and designs. There's no need to streamline the design process, especially not at this point. From my perspective it's just gonna make it slower cause then it becomes
>make a design that can be built from
to
>make a design that works with rabbit things
>2
We can have identity without homogenizing design details. You know all those times people that
>this looks like a Pokemon/Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh design
All those things have wildly varied designs, and in the case of YGO lots of different artists, but it's the vibe that caries that feel all the same. Identity is something that comes naturally. You can't force it with the shortcut of
>oh if everything has this trait everything will blend together
You can't slap rabbit ears on a DQ slime and a Final Fantasy boss and say they're coherent with each other.
>3
See point 2. So long as we aren't literally aping the art styles and design of other series, we can be original.
>4
And I haven't seen any other Mon game do this 'equip monsters' idea. Kamen Rider isn't exactly the most popular thing outside of Japan and so long as we don't literally take their designs, the inspiration is identity enough to stand out.
>5
Just mess around with animals, slapping a bunny onto other stuff doesn't automatically make it unique
>6
We're still working on rules. As I said, I think cyborgs is plenty enough a rule with wiggle room that doesn't involve sticking to 1 animal for everything.
>7
See point 6.
>8
Not an argument. Literally no other Mon game has a 'one thing on everything' design philosophy, because the genre thrives on variety. The whole point is having a bunch of varied creatures people want to use in the gameplay. SMT literally pulls from all kinds of cultures and mythology and is still plenty coherent.
>>
>>3406972
I'm out, dude. Now I'm angry.
The genre isn't thriving btw, good luck with your thing.
>>
>>3406978
This is basic back and forth discussion.
Something as wildly subjective as art design is naturally going to lead to disagreements. Throwing up your arms and going
>well genre shit and is doing bad anyways
Doesn't help anything.

And I've already said, if anons really wanted to stick with this idea, I can't do anything about it. I'm only arguing this hard because we're still in the very basic, fundamental concept stage. If it's truly finalized, then that's it, even if I wouldn't like it. I'm just one guy.
This is just something that's going to happen for a group project like this.
>>
File: 64454342453.png (139 KB, 1536x700)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
Welp, in the middle of all this, felt like making another general design idea.
I always really like the creepy doll/puppet trope, and figured doing both a boy and girl doll would spice it up a little.
>>
File: 644543424534.png (151 KB, 1536x700)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>3407005
And now they're rabbits too.
>>
>>3405850
>Although the most important feature for different legs is terrains isn't it?
Insofar as that is the main factor in how quickly your Medabots turn comes around, yes. It's also the least interesting aspect to me though, since it's pretty cut and dry "just match the proper leg type to the terrain to get quicker turns" while all the others (including HP, which is important due to Parts Defense and legs usually having the highest HP of any part that's not the head) present more interesting ideas to balance around and choices to make.
>>
Is Linda3 Again a mon game? I played the first 30 minutes before bed and you have to capture animals for a Noah's Ark. I missed all the discussion when its fan translation was released last month since I was playing other games.
>>
File: impatient dragon.jpg (702 KB, 3000x4000)
702 KB
702 KB JPG
Here's a monster I had festering in my head for a while. Its thing is that it's pretty strong for what it is but it comes at the cost of being lazy and hard to work with. And if the battle goes on for too long it'll get pissed and all its stats get boosted. Unfortunately, it goes out of control and will damage your side and itself too because that might end the fight quicker.
>>
>>3403035
Not that anon but YKW1 made me appreciate some Yokai I never used before.
>Dismarelda was actually pretty dang useful for most of the game
>Snee was really great even though I rarely see anyone use him
>>
>>3407288
This kind of design makes me think of Okage Shadow King.
>>
>>3407022
This appeases my autism.
>>
If you guys want to do this in the good old way, may be wise to search for better artists. You should try to move design discussion to /i/ and let this thread for gameplay.
You can search "creature" to find my thread or make your own.
>>
>>3406950
I could work on the bat like one.
>>
>>3407547
Okay then assuming we are going to do the kamen rider idea, will the guy in the armor level up or will his monsters supply his stats?
Since full combos are just better than mixed ones how will they be balanced? I say we copy BN 6 and OOO a bit more and say when the used monsters are all the same they syncronize and that pumps so much life force or whatever through him his body can't endure it. Limiting their use for only three turns or so.
>>
>>3407549
Do it
>>
>>3407637
I don't know if it can be done and it's hard to explain but I'd like that the "guy" to be a "core" that levels up and when the monsters are in "armor mode" they work like medaparts/regular armor supplementing the "core/guy" stats and skills regardless how much level the parts have. So the rider/guy/core can equip any monster he feels like without getting cucked by the low level of the parts monsters he has.
Now when the monsters are in "battle mode" their strength depends of their own stats and skills.
I imagine an average party consisting of one armored guy, two active monsters and three in reserve. The guy can attack three times with parts and the two monsters one time each. The guy can use legs, arm 1 and 2 to attack and the head gives passives.
I think I read an anon saying fighting alongside the monsters you get is post game only. We are in this thread because of monster taming, Kamen Rider as good as it is is not the main interest here so we should copy some interesting systems but not to make literally a Rider game.
I don't understand the "sets" and I don't know shit about balance without playing the game first.
>>
>>3407649
Most likely tomorrow in /i/. I need to rest.
>>
>>3407673
Don't mind at all, have a good rest anon.
>>
>>3407670
> Fighting alongside the monsters you get is post-game only
Where? Because I'm 30% sure I typed that on accident or you're misremembering. No one wants the humans to overshadow the monsters.
Though I can't entirely agree with heads only giving passives. I want them to hold all the real status and effect-inducing attacks. Like one that is a fan or wind sock that controls winds and gives you a good tailwind and the enemy horrible headwind so jumping and projectile attacks backfire and flying things just can't function. Copy the lion medal and have a helm be a wearable flashbang. And maybe a vampire one that sucks statuses and debuffs out of allies and enemies and converts it into a good status or buff or spits it out on enemies.
>>
File: 7667556453.png (211 KB, 2000x2000)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
Alright, laid out some ideas I had.
>>
>>3407764
First one reminds me of Jade Cocoon. Which I personally approve of.
>>
Repositng some design ideas from a different project:

>combat happens on a grid, all participants fight at once
This allows more differentiation of monsters, with thins like melee vs. ranged, which area attacks affect or how big the monsters are. A hex grid might be the best design, but I'd need to look into how to implement that.

>weak elemental system, each unit able to hit 2+ damage types
Consequence of the above. You and your opponent always have that weak to fire monster out so giving absurd damage boni leads to way too obvious strategies that always work. There's still weaknesses, but it's more +30% damage, not double or fourfold.

>status effects from monster hunter/dark souls
Instead of random rolls you apply "status damage" and when you did enough, the status is applied. Status resistance means that bar is larger, not outright immunity. No insta-win status effects like Death or Frozen so we don't have to make boss encounters immune to them.
This prevents the player from wasting turns.

>units gain AP each turn. A turn ends when all AP are spent. Can go into negative AP but get some debuff
Gives us more design space for moves. Weak moves can still be used as gap fillers and you can develop more strategies like one monster sets up status effects, the other brings the big damage attacks. Also can further diversify monsters: How many AP they get each round, manipulating the cost of (some) moves, gaining AP through different mechanics, e.g. on kill.
I envision monsters getting more and more moves as they grow, without some arbitrary limit that forces them to forget most moves.
>>
Whats the dark souls of mongees
>>
File: 1709302465319117.png (78 KB, 241x314)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>3408152
Some reviews have called SMT games the 'Dark Souls of Persona.'
>>
>>3408092
>i envision monsters getting more and more moves as they grow, without some arbitrary limit that forces them to forget most moves
My ideal system is like coromon or PLA, you learn x number of moves but equip 4.
>>
File: 1708706975969647.jpg (7 KB, 111x77)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3408152
Naraku in SMT 4?
>mfw when Digimon, after struggling so much, creates the Dark Souls of Monggers.
>>
>>3408182
>greentext
I highly doubt that
>>
>>3407725
I must have misread or misinterpreted it. I'm glad we are in the same boat.
The thing with the heads like in Kamen Rider sounds cool, better go for it.
The important part is making the usable monsters work independently of their individual level. I'd like you guys to think about that.
--------
Btw, I made >>3406950 and a male knight in oekaki. Search "creature" on /i/ to find the thread. It's important to know how to design the knights.
I can take a big lore dump there if you want. I think I got an idea that can make everyone happy.
>>
>>3408186
Me too but it would be funny as fuck. Specially after they asked about Souls likes in their survey.
>>
>>3408370
>there was a survey in January
Fug, a bit late to submit
>>
>>3408092
>combat happens on a grid, all participants fight at once
Is this like a SRPG or like in the DS Digimon games?
>weak elemental system, each unit able to hit 2+ damage types
This must be a must desu.
>status effects from monster hunter/dark souls
This could become frustrating if the status effects are easy to cure but if your enemies can't dispell them then it's good. I imagine enemy tamers can shrug them off easily but lone monsters and bosses can't.
>units gain AP each turn. A turn ends when all AP are spent. Can go into negative AP but get some debuff
I'm not fond of AP systems but I can tolerate them if they are well done.
I can only think things on Fatlus terms so I can't give you advice on that.
>>
>>3408178
This is ideal.
>>
>>3408368
Why not? We should decide if this is a magic thing or a sci-fantasy thing. Also how stupid it can get. Like, are tread shoes or animal head feet that are actually heads that can bite possible?
>>
>>3408535
Then I'll drop the autism in /i/ later.
>are tread shoes or animal head feet that are actually heads that can bite possible?
Definitely
Maybe we are sleeping on this >>3406805
>>
>>3408417
>Is this like a SRPG or like in the DS Digimon games?
More like Megaman Battle Network series with some influence from Golden Sun. I was thinking a 3x5 grid for each team. Attacks can have different shapes, be more effective at the center or trigger multiple hits on large creatures. You can move to avoid attacks, so there can be movement skills, skills that care about your position, and so on. These are all tools that can be used to make a monster more distinctive, and to create interesting enemy encounters.

Again, this was for my personal project, which is more a traditional JRPG than a mon game. Some attacks from there are:

>Union Charge - Rushes the enemy and tries to interrupt them. May inflict Break. Strikes an additional time for each ally in the same row as you.
>Flame Breath - Deals Radiant damage in a cone in front of you. Damage increased by your HP.
>Tornado - Summons a whirlwind at target location that damages enemies over multiple turns
>Midnight Sun - Causes a large explosion. Deals Radiant damage and scorches the ground in front of you, heals and consecrates the ground behind you.
Scorched Ground deals damage over time, Consecrated Ground heals over time and increases some resistances. Various abillities interact with ground effects.
>>
>>3408581
>More like Megaman Battle Network series
So Yo-kai Watch 3 then?
>>
>>3408581
Ah, Radiant Historia is something similar but yours seems funnier.
>>
https://github.com/Medabots/medarot3/releases
Nothing too notable, but the Medarot 3 TL got an update, though I'd imagine it's just grammatical stuff.
>>
>>3408783
I wonder if they are going to work in another game.
>>
>>3409939
https://github.com/orgs/Medabots/repositories?type=all
Considering this page, 4 and navi might be getting worked on at some point
>>
File: Happy Bejita.jpg (61 KB, 1200x628)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>3409950
>Navi
Good news
>>
>>3403293
Oh fuck subjectively. most of their vids are fine, along with most of their ideas but anything where anyone on that channel does anything beyond design things is destined to fail. The main guy that runs that channel has such oddly specific brainrot. Watching their vids really makes you feel like he gets all his ideas on how the world works from wiki articles. He has 0 ability to do anything if he has the lightest constraint placed on him
>>
>>3403580
I cast ye into the pit of 2016 era tumblr, BEGONE DEMON
>>
>>3405772
sounds like soul land where you could steal the abilities of monsters. Be cool to see stuff like an equitable spider that gives you its legs? while equipping it so you get something like a dodge boost and a poison attack
>>
>>3403580
Those guys only freak out when Disney ruins a popular franchise. They'll just laugh at obscure media that tries to appeal to the diversity crowd.
>>
File: 1709488975040851.png (1.44 MB, 3640x2444)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
This art posted in the /i/ thread gave me another potential idea.
Having both the original monster, and it's modified, cyborgified counterpart both being in and usable in the game.

The Natural forms of the monsters cannot be worn as equipment. To compensate, they have better base stats and movesets, as well as abilities that are always active.
The Cyborg forms are the ones that can be equipped to the tamer. They have lower base stats, shallower movesets, and passive that only activate when equipped.

This way, a player could go one way or the other, or mix and match. Having two cyborgs that they equip, while also having two normal monsters that they'll fight along side normally, along with any number of set-ups within a 4-monster team.
>>
>>3411023
I have an addon to this. There could be both ancient technology cyborgs and modern ones. So you can have some designs that wouldn't work with wires and robot parts still be equipable. It wouldn't add or change anything though mechanicly. At best it's a reason to limit the player for some reason. Saying what the player uses to wear them isn't backward or forward-compatible until the adapter is unlocked.

And there's this thing I have a question about this fake game. Now it's safe to assume there's going to be one or two legendary special monsters who have the shtick of taking up all the armor slots when you equip them. Should that be expanded to some normal ones to a lesser extent? Would it be a good idea to have some monsters take up the whole torso instead of just the chest, one being overalls, and so on rather than everything taking up one slot only?
>>
>>3405926
Cute alien
>>
This isn't game dev general. Talk about mon games you're playing and not your stupid projects that will never get past the planning and "look at my shitty concept art" stage.

Anyway I'm so close to the end of DQM3 I can taste it. I've nolifed this game over the past week and although I love it I'm kind of burned out and ready to move on.
>>
File: 644546543534.jpg (165 KB, 1280x720)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
I've been thinking about World of Final Fantasy again and figuring I should replay it. And then I went,
>hey stacking is pretty over centralized and there's almost no reason to ever unstack
>i should see what it's like if I do an unstack-only run
Lo and behold, when I start up a new game and get to combat, I come to find that you ALWAYS start every battle stacked. Regardless of your state when you finished your previous battle, and with no option to change it. Literally need to spend your first turn unstacking in order to do that run idea.
Man. At least Digital Devil Saga let you have a 'start as human in combat' passive in NG+
>>
DQMfags, make sure to pour one out for your man Toriyama
>>
>>3414251
That guy knew how to draw a good monster.
>>
>>3414251
Who's going to take over for art? Also just remembered I never finished DQM3. Left around I unlocked the upper echelons.
>>
>>3413974
True but those were some damn fine ideas.
>>
>>3414251
He was the only one able to make the Pig Orcs look good. F
>>
>>3414447
I hope it's not Neckotaro. SE should probably give Dragon Quest a rest after the next game anyways.
>>
>>3414447
If his apprentice is taking over Dragonball he could probably take over for Dquest as well.
>>
>>3414447
There's plenty of artists that can imitate his style. Or they could move on and try other styles if they're brave enough.
>>
File: 20170125_040000.png (655 KB, 848x478)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
>>3414251
RIP King. i never got around finishing chrono trigger or any dragon quest game but i loved the Monsters series.
>>
>>3402885
>It's Monday yet again.

It's friday. Fucking retard post
>>
>>3414650
I'd imagine they'll just go with copycats for a while, then maybe try a different art style way down the line 5+ years from now.
>>
>>3414964
Not when the thread was made retard.
>>
>>3415270
/mon/bros...
>>
>>3415838
Who cares
>>
who else is suffering through digimon con?
>>
>digimon story game is still in development
>no we don't have any news to share
there's your yearly digimon game news
>>
>>3416460
Good thing I lost all hope for Digimon already.
>>
At this rate my digimon clone game will release before the next digimon story game
>>
>>3416610
King
>>
File: 166516894916523.png (477 KB, 680x1240)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>3416610
At this point the only thing I'm looking forward to is this Mystery Dungeon romhack.
>>
>>3416678
Thats neat, ETA?
>>
File: 644654453324.png (61 KB, 1582x514)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>3416737
Hell if I know. I haven't seen an update on it's progress in months. I think the dev said there was gonna be some kinda progress update soon? Not sure.
Though pretty sure they said it wasn't happening until like, 2025/26 or something, back in 2023. They are doing it mostly solo last I heard.
>>
>>3416678
How does that even work? Digimon has giant branching evolution lines, where usually go up and down repeatedly ot create the best monster. But Pokemon Mystery Dungeon locked you into the base form for the story and then gave you only simple one-time upgrades for evolutions, stuff like Evee aside.

Putting that into a romhack seems like so much work that you might as well do the game from scratch and just rip assets from various digimon games.
>>
File: 1655228839783.png (53 KB, 326x736)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>3416754
It's been a long-ass time since the developer used to post in /digi/ about their progress, but the romhack was going to have lots of possible split evolution lines. From what I understand, SkyTemple, the software for romhacking Explores of Sky, is pretty flexible and has let people create entirely new stories without being hard-locked to the events of the base game.
I dunno if the dev planned to let you evolve during the main story, but they did say it was going to be something entirely different from the base game's.
>>
>>3406813
I LOVE THIS
>>
File: 1649882526212.gif (2.56 MB, 576x432)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>3416460
Please just let us skip the fucking cutscenes........
>>
Bumping for /mon/day
>>
>>3416903
People really seem to love plant dinosaurs. Or maybe people just like plant monsters in general
>>
>>3418026
This thread is cursed. Let it die.
>>
>>3418038
There's a reason why people are disappointed in Meganium's weakness that they never address in future games. Plant dinos tend to come out quite cute, and even plant monsters in general like Palmon or Toropiamon
>>
Do you like day night cycles in your mon games?
>>
>>3418179
I struggle to think a game that doesn't benefit, even just aesthetically, from a day/night cycle, even outside of Mon games.
Jak & Daxter's Day/Night is great and it's just there to look good.
>>
>>3418179
Is there even any good reason to dislike them?
>>
>>3418179
I do not care about them one way or the other.

>>3418209
It potentially taking away "dev time" for other areas of the game, maybe. If that's even applicable for something like that.
>>
Monster Hunter Stories remaster coming out June 14
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/03/monster-hunter-stories-remaster-launches-june-14

Monster Hunter Stories 2 coming to PS4 on June 14 as well
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/03/monster-hunter-stories-2-wings-of-ruin-coming-to-ps4-on-june-14
>>
>>3418401
damn they're really going all in.. hope this means a 3 is in the works.
>>
>>3418401
Yeah stories 3 is highly like at this point but probably no news until next year.
>>
>>3418179
If its well developed and not just for realism sake.
>>
>>3418512
You mean like
>different mons at different times
>events that happen only at night or only during the day
>>
>>3418518
Yeah basically
>>
Thoughts?
>>
>>3418564
>Avinia
>Rathalos
This has 'doesn't know anything about the game and just wanted to draw a waifu from it' energy.
>>
>>3418564
That Rathalos head looks fucked.
>>
File: 90825530_p18.png (712 KB, 1500x1500)
712 KB
712 KB PNG
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/90825530
>>
>>3419270
God I've always liked the design of CoffinBat but it always feels so weak and doesn't have synergy with the bat medal!
>>
File: mrcombobreaker.png (615 KB, 800x400)
615 KB
615 KB PNG
Monster Rancher is going to be in a tournament if that sounds neat to you.
>>
>>3420812
I joined one of Moosebone's tournaments around the release of 1/2 DX. It was a Wracky/Joker named Tommy.
I tried to raise him using the pro strats, but ran into a few complication along the way trying to unlock certain moves. In the end, he didn't even make it past his first round, but it was neat to be part of the event.
>>
File: Sandland 032 Geji Dragon.jpg (1.47 MB, 1150x1725)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
Does DQM have a sandworm dragon like this?
>>
>>3421994
Thats more like a sand themed dragon or a 'sandwyrm'
>>
File: 675664654.png (173 KB, 367x365)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>3421994
Closest thing that comes to mind is Crystolotl. I guess Slayer of the Sands is adjacent too.
>>
File: Kindred Fates.png (239 KB, 678x285)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>remember Kindred Fates and being pretty excited for it back in like, 2020
>remember something about a 2023 or 2024 release back then
>decide to look it up
https://youtu.be/STgstcb4P4A
>2 week ago
Well, good to know they're still working on it, but man, no release in sight still. And now it extra sucks because I know this won't even get even a fraction of attention Palworld got.
>>
>>3421994
There's a shark worm if that's close enough.
>>
>>3422644
Scope creep probably caused by lousy wannabe devs and discord community. Kickstarted syndrome also doesn’t help. They put more emphasys in their 30 tiers than on the game itself.
>>
>>3422705
Not mon related, but
>insert lazy joke about MMX: Corrupted here
>>
Which game lets me build a team of nothing but giant worms?
>>
>>3423937
If you are open minded about your concept of worm, a lot.
>>
>>3424631
Name them and post examples of worms. In a giant worm mood.
>>
>>3423937
>Which game lets me build a team of nothing but giant worms?
>>
>>3425170
SMT:
Long
Huang Long
Uroboros
Mara
Nidhoggar
Pokémon:
Onix
Steelix
Rayquaza
Orthworm
Giratina
Dratini
>>
>>3425177
lmao
>>
I've been playing Hacker's Memory lately. I'm on chapter 11 and trying to finish before Dragon's Dogma 2 comes out. I couldn't stop myself from doing the technician USB + PlatinumNumemon trick, so I already have around six Ultra stage digimon.

Rosemon's passive ability that just heals every team member on their turn is so good. Really great support mon.
>>
>>3425336
You need to do that trick anyways. The highest coliseum tier is bullshit and the achievements too.
>>
>>3425251
>>3423937
>>>/vm/
>>
>>3425170
Wormmon is a minor character in digimon story: hacker's memories, but he gets to play a major role in the finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdIU8BkAutY
>>
>>3426236
>wormmon
>is a caterpillar
>>
>>3426315
Technically its just a larva.
>>
>>3423937
Monster rancher has a worm and your party is your single mon so technically you can have a party of worms in that game
>>
File: datLass.png (378 KB, 1920x1080)
378 KB
378 KB PNG
>>3425177
I played so much Worms 2 in middle school, great games if you're in the mood for them.
Playing LeafGreen because I haven't played one since Gold on the GB Color.
>>
>>3423937
My game will have several giant worms, enough to make a team out of
>>
File: 20240112224711.jpg (100 KB, 640x640)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
https://garmtranslations.wordpress.com/category/digimon/
Some neat stuff here, also happy birthday to Kenji Watanabe
>>
>>3420812
Why did they never release a remaster of 3 and 4 after this?
>>
>>3428843
Probably figured it wasn't worth the time, effort, and money. Which in fairness to them probably isn't wrong.
>>
>>3427864
>left nipple looks like an eyeball
New fetish unlocked
>>
>>3429390
Wait till you hear about Jinova.
>>
File: 20240112223330.jpg (391 KB, 640x640)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>3429390
I'm pretty sure her tits are just a bunch of eyeballs in a void
>>
>>3429048
I'd buy it
>>
>>3431668
And only you. They'd have a more sound investment if they ported the GBA and DS games next.
>>
It's been 4 Mondays since the thread has started.

How is your mon team coming along?
>>
File: mdt3.png (54 KB, 786x711)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>3433114
Let's see I have several games that I started in recent months and never finished
>Azure dreams
>DQM 3 Dark Prince
>medabots 3 (english translated)
>Quarantinedex pokemon GSC hackrom
I'm thinking I should finish medabots 3 and DQM3 soon bt between work, other hobbies and travel it will be pretty impossible.
>>
File: 776566546.png (364 KB, 800x616)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
>>3433114
Still going through World of Final Fantasy again.
My initial idea of doing a challenge run of only being unstacked was quickly dropped after I saw you have to start every combat stacked.
>>
>>3433120
maybe you could do a cosmetic challenge run? Find a funny stack and keep it all game or something
>>
File: slotsss.png (626 KB, 1920x1080)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
Trying to get a Porygon without spending all my money.
Why? Because Porygon's awesome.
>>
Played Monster Crown. Regret given its buggy as all hell.
>>
>>3433573
>its buggy as all hell
Is that still the case 2 years from release? fuck
>>
>>3433575
Very consistent bugs too. Apparently it worked better before a specific patch but I'm powering through at this point.
>>
>>3433589
Well hope they make a better second game instead of the useless trading card fame
>>
>>3435306
Given he shoved TCG stuff into the first game its clear what he really wants to make.
>>
>>3435318
Damn thats sad
>>
File: farnsworth.png (269 KB, 640x480)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>monster breeding game
>the tutorial explaining the mechanics is a fucking 500 pages genetics textbook
*Sigh* a man can dream
>>
File: file.png (2.36 MB, 1196x796)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB PNG
thoughts on neopets?
>>
>>3437633
Is it still owned by the Scientologists?
>>
I have bought Nexomon Extinction, Coromon, and Cassette Beasts. Which is the best and which do I play first?
>>
>>3437633
Scientology indoctrination
>>
File: 117327479_p0.jpg (230 KB, 1261x900)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>3433115
I'm in the same boat, have to get back to Azure Dreams, Medarot 3 and 2 Core, and Monster Rancher 2 at some point
>>
File: 116136417_p0.jpg (134 KB, 1261x900)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>
>>3438707
>>3438708
Where are this pics from?
>>
>>3438815
https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/1324074/artworks
>>
>>3437800
For me: Cassette > Coromon > Nexomon
Each game more or less lasts about 30 to 40 hours and Cassette and Coromon are more replayable than Nexomon, so play first: Nexomon > Coromon = Cassette
>>
File: 1711929673415511.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1080)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/medarot_S/status/1774587488142774709
Happy April Fools to my fellow Medarotters
>>
>>3439531
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtHk0itLZBw
>>
>>3404726
I played the demo and I liked that you control the opponents like you do with your team. That's completely new to me and makes it a lot more puzzle-like than usual combat. Pretty interesting. The designs were also surprisingly good, and I'm very critical of that aspect especially so it was great to see that.
>>
A new/ mon/ game was announced.. Seems like a Monster Rancher type game.
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/creature-battle-simulation-game-dragon-saikyou-ou-zukan-battle-colosseum-announced-for-switch
>>
>>3442074
I dunno if it's just the models but those designs feel really generic. Maybe seeing them in motion would help. But it being a Raiser is neat at least.
>>
>>3437633
Literally too gay to bother with now.
>>
File: 1682502466223129.png (518 KB, 645x345)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>3442074
it looks like it's set up like a mobile game or something? I have low hopes but I'm open to being surprised.
>>
>>3442074
Sounds neat but only dragons is boring.
>>
>>3442111
Looks like a forgotten PS Vita game, aspect ratio and all
>>
>>3442074
>Not rabbits
I sleep
>>
>>3442276
Fuck off rabbit fucker
>>
File: 655654534.jpg (795 KB, 1920x1080)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
Finally decided to start playing Yo-Kai Watch 4 with the fan translation.
Definitely highlights how much of a shame it is that it was never properly brought over. Still in the early game, but overall I'm enjoying the combat. This is definitely the kind of thing anti-turnbasedfags want to a T it feels like.
Was a bit unsure about the new soul system for getting new Yo-Kai. In inherently needs more grinding to get the souls needed, instead of the potential one-and-done of the rest of the games, both systems still relying on RNG. But once I figured out you can turn lower-value souls into higher ones, so you'll eventually get the yo-kai anyways, does feel a bit more fair overall then needing to throw expensive favorite foods and using Popularity yo-kai for it all to still end up not getting what you want a lot of the time.

Just finished the Yamamba sequence. Was neat enough, even got caught once. Looking forward to playing more.
>>
>>3442701
Wasn't feeling the shadowside designs at first but they grew on me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rajjNb0I2ec
DQMbros...
>>
File: 564554334.jpg (1.03 MB, 1920x1080)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>3447096
I watched that video already. It's honestly pretty neat seeing someone actually go properly in-depth into the mechanics of a Mon game that isn't Pokemon.
Besides, the guy outright states the thumbnail is clickbaity and that the game is great in single-player and has the bones of a completely freeform team-building system, but certain mechanics are extremely exploitable in PvP and the ranking system is absolute dogshit so there's no separation of
>experimenting/playing for fun
and
>minmax tryhard auto-pilot

I honestly wish there were more videos like this for other Mon games, clickbait aside.
>>
File: 1425621554616.jpg (84 KB, 803x790)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>3402885
I've never played a Yokai Watch game, but I have played most of the Pokemon games, and I'm learning Japanese so not being in English isn't a problem. Which of the games in the series should I play?
>>
File: 1596474749872.png (1.53 MB, 645x2048)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>3448068
Yo-Kai Watch 1 is pretty skippable, as everything it has it pretty much all in 2. It's not bad, just hard to recommend when 2 is just it but with so much more content. It does have a Japanese-only Switch port at least.

YKW2 is the favorite for many people. It takes when 1 did and just adds a ton more to it. Play Psychic Specters, it's the Emerald/Platinum of 2, has all the content the two other versions have + even more unique to it. The usual go-to starter game for most people.

YKW3 shook up the combat, trading out the wheel for a grid-based system somewhat similar to Megaman Battle Network. It's character-swap mechanic can be kind of annoying until it's eventually pretty much dropped later in the game, and probably the biggest point of contention for most. 3 also includes a side-mode Mystery Dungeon-styled game, with hours worth of content where you directly control the Yo-Kai. You can also get really convenient items here like food that guarantees befriending yo-kai when given to them, bypassing the annoying luck-based recruitment that's prevalent throughout the whole series.

YKW4 is Japanese only, but with a fan translation that's still in progress. I'm still playing it myself, but from what I have played, if you're looking for an action-combat Mon game, it's very solid.

YKWBlasters is a spin-off that plays like that side-game in, though it came out first. Sort of think of it like Monster Hunter, fighting big bosses and collecting materials to craft equipment, with just over 400 yo-kai to play as. But it's very difficult to do some of the content solo, it's very much built around multiplayer which just got much more difficult to do with the servers down.

Overall I'd say all of YKW's games are good and worth playing, even 1. It's just skippable when compared to 2.
>>
>>3448126
Well like I said, I'm learning Japanese so translations don't matter, because I'm going to be playing the game in Japanese regardless. So with that in mind, would you recommend 2 or 4 assuming that I'm going to play one of these games then not touch the series for like a year or so (playing an entire series back to back is exhausting and doesn't give me a big variety in vocabulary to mine.)
>>
File: 1639028282206.jpg (29 KB, 337x297)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3448132
2 and 4 do play drastically different from one another, so I don't think the risk of burn-out would even be a factor. Even 3 plays different from 1 and 2 at least combat-wise.
But, even still only picking one of them, I'd probably go with 2. It's the 'definitive' YKW for a lot of people. Plus 4 also includes the Shadowside gimmick which was pretty divisive, and overall definitely feels more catered towards long-term fans. 2 is overall more simple and just sticks to roots 1 had set and expanded on them.
Just make sure to play the premium version of 2, which in Japanese would be Shinuchi
>>
>>3448144
I'll go with that then. Any advice I should keep in mind going into it?
>>
>>3448235
It's honestly been a hot minute since I played 2, so I can't remember too many specific.
I guess the best I can say is don't be fooled by the initial simplicity of the combat. Even though yo-kai act on their own, there's still lots of stuff for you to do in the later bosses.
>>
File: 7675576567543534.jpg (197 KB, 1280x720)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
Alright. I beat World of FF Maxima again, and this time 100% it. I reminded me of the issues it had, even if I still enjoyed it overall.
I decided after collecting all the mirages, I'd take a count of how many of each size there were. Though I admit I may have mis-counted a couple, but this should be close.
>62 Smalls
>66 Mediums
>94 Large
>15 XL

And a lot of these are recolors are outright just the exact same but with a star next to their name saying they're the 'story version.' Also some locked to the post-game as well.
Anyways, the main issue is how limiting the stack system is because Reynn and Lann have to be used, and they only come in Medium and Large sizes. No matter what, Medium and Large mirages are at a handicap because they have to vie for space in a stack because of the protags. On top of that, the amount of Small mirages feel pretty limited, and left with a lot of recolors to pad out options.

I genuinely wouldn't have any problem with this, IF, in New Game+ they kept the post-game unlock of being able to remove the protags from stacks. It's already NG+, why not let the player really experiment with stacks throughout a whole game when they only get a little bit of it for the post-game? But no, you're stuck to using them again in NG+. Oh, and there were a lot of Post-game only mirages I didn't use because I wanted to use them for NG+. But guess what? They're taken away, even though there's basically zero god damn chance to really use these mirages at that point because you'd have to grind them up to handle any post-game stuff, if you didn't really complete it all anyways.

This game is just one mod away from fixing it's biggest flaw, and it doesn't have it. It's a real shame, even if the game is still fine overall.
Can only hope they learn their lesson if the sequel that's teased ever actually happens.
>>
Have Level-5 announced a date for the Visions stream that's happening this month?
>>
>>3448276
I too think the biggest problem with the game is the protagonists but in a story sense.
>>
>>3448875
Since I've literally never played any FF games besides World of FF, all the fanservice and references it had went over my head, so in general I didn't pay too much mind to the story.
Reynn and Lann are just whatever to me.
>>
Post mons only you like.
>>
File: Slugger.png (106 KB, 350x350)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>3449972
>>
Decided to try playing The Lost Child, which is SMT but as a low-budget Lovecraft-ish DRPG.

It's not great.
>>
File: falco.jpg (10 KB, 248x204)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>3449972
I guess since I like most of the roster from monster rancher ds and nobody played it because its a shitty game this counts.
>>
>>3451244
What makes MR DS bad? I was interested in it since it has that Henger/Tiger that looks pretty cool
>>
>>3451313
Can tell you why I disliked it.
The drawing summon system was beyond awful. The Translation was somehow worse then the older ones. The combat was dumbed down but somehow there's now more penalizing issues like the fact that it'll penalize you if you don't exit the game properly.

There's more like how they removed monster personalities, drills had a lot of options gutted.. but I'll just leave it there.
>>
>>3451313
>Music is pretty bad
>Combat touch screen is redundant
>The way in which you get the monsters is pretty bad compared to the past games
>Dungeons are mario party tier
>>
Dicefolk is really good. Unless you hate roguelites I can 100% recommend it
>>
you don't have to keep bumping the thread from page 10. if it dies another one will be made the next monday. there is little to talk about right now so the bumps are kind of pointless.
>>
>>3454371
I'm surprised no one has talked about the SMTV Vengeance info coming out.
>>
>>3454371
It's just something I wanted to say because this thread is how I found out about the game
>>
What are good mongames than run in potatoe pc?
>>
File: 117602190_p0.jpg (797 KB, 948x778)
797 KB
797 KB JPG
>>3457487
I've had fun with Azure Dreams, Digimon World, the pre-PS2 Monster Ranchers, and Medarot 3 and 2 Core (aka Metabee/Rokusho).
>>
File: Dr. Slump v6-000.jpg (1.39 MB, 2037x3056)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
Is there an artist you'd like to see take a crack at being the designer for a /mon/ game? If yes, who and why?
>>
>>3457509
Definitely Oda. I think he's great at creature design and glad he got to flex that a little more with the Odyssey game.
I've seen some people say he could do something for Dragon Quest, but I'd rather it just be it's own thing. Ideally something not related to One Piece, but I don't know if he'd do a deal like Toriyama had with DQ.
>>
File: DaiaYVnUwAArO1P.jfif.jpg (148 KB, 1200x630)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>3457487
The first 2 DQMs are on the GBC so they're easily emulateable.
>>
File: rkbij1mba.jpg (4 MB, 6000x2900)
4 MB
4 MB JPG
>>3457509
Any of the guys who make Sentai and Rider kaijin. I just really like that look, it would make a game stand out, and I'd like to see what they would cook up when the limitation of them needing humanoid shapes gets lifted.
>>
File: Made in Abyss 5.png (790 KB, 1280x720)
790 KB
790 KB PNG
>>3457509
The Made in Abyss guy. I think he could make a beautiful yet disturbing mongger, not as disturbing as MIA but spicy enough.
No, Elebits is not a game I'd want to play.
>>
>>3457487
Literally everything but Dark Prince and WoFF Maxima? Assuming your potato can't emulate them already.
>>
>>3457545
Whats that creature called?
>>
>>3457564
Not him, but here's the info page for it from the manga
>>
>>3450451
I actually just got one of these in YW3 and I think its super sick

also holy shit this game rules
>>
>>3448785
Just got delayed until summer.
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/level-5-vision-2024-to-the-worlds-children-postponed-to-summer
>>
>>3402922
HBG and GS are the only legit ways to play the game.
>>
>>3402981
The thing I wish the games did that they don’t (which would put them above Pokemon for me) is give you a choice of a few starter mons. Ratha is the weakest part of the second game imo. Hopefully if they make a third game they give you more choice.
>>
>>3403261
Man he should get someone else to narrate his videos bc I turned off the video due to the cringe. Cool art tho.
>>
>>3423937
Quarantine Crystal (highest quality rom hack out there imo) has enough wormy boys to create an entire team outta I’d say.
>>
>>3403261
>Monster Sanctuary already proved you can make a game with both combat and where the monster serve out-of-battle functions.
So it proved you can make a game with Hms?
>pokemon
>mhs1
>medabot games
All did this before monster sanctuary. I don't know if people attribute stuff to this game because of its percieved success or because they haven't actually played most mon games
>>
>>3457892
I used Monster Sanctuary as an example because of it's Metroidvania nature, making those out-of-battle functions become a more natural part of traversal and some puzzle solving.
HMs required you to have a Pokemon give up a move slot of a typically bad combat move, if the Pokemon you have can even learn anything you need. It's why HM slaves were a thing before they ended up cutting HMs entirely. Plus the only HM usage that ever had any kind of puzzle element was Strength and pushing puzzles.
MHS1/2 those field abilities are completely optional and only used to get you some more items. That's all they really do. Flight is the most useful one for traversal but it isn't unlocked until you get your obligatory 'can't leave the party until post-game' Rathalos.
I haven't played a Medabot game just so I'll just have to take your word for it on that one.

So yeah, I wasn't saying Monster Sanctuary was the first to have out-of-battle functions, it just felt like the most integrated of the games I've played. Also the fact that it's also an indie game, so it'd be closer to that guy's project in comparison.
>>
>>3457920
>Metroidvania nature, making those out-of-battle functions become a more natural part of traversal and some puzzle solving.
But thats not exclusive or fundamentally representative of metroidvanias, top down games make more use of them as exemplified by early zelda and games like golden sun.
>HMs required you to have a Pokemon give up a move slot of a typically bad combat move, if the Pokemon you have can even learn anything you need. It's why HM slaves were a thing before they ended up cutting HMs entirely. Plus the only HM usage that ever had any kind of puzzle element was Strength and pushing puzzles.
Completely valid point, just mentioning that it always a core game feature in mon games, which I understand now that you weren't questioning.
>MHS1/2 those field abilities are completely optional and only used to get you some more items. That's all they really do. Flight is the most useful one for traversal but it isn't unlocked until you get your obligatory 'can't leave the party until post-game' Rathalos.
But riding monsters and using field abilities is a core mechanic of the game and you left out stealth/roar which are useful through the entire game, the fact that they are optional is a non issue.

Ironically the one that I left behind is Evocreo which I think was a top down example of how to do out of battle skills in a good way. You don't sacrifice moves and you use them through the whole game. I think where monster sanctuary fails is that it has multiple versions of
>destroy obstacle
>navigate x terrain
>throw x element towards y switch
The same reason why pokemon hms beyond gen 1 were a bad mechanic. I understand monster sanctuary allows you to swap your party on the spot but at that point the mechanic is just memorizing what you need to use and navigate menus, its not about team composition. Sorry in advance for the wall of autism.
>>
>>3457952
It's been a minute since I played Stories 1, but I don't even remember Stealth/Roar being in that game. If they were they definitely weren't as useful as they were in 2. Still, my main point with MHS is that I wouldn't exactly call field abilities a 'core mechanic.' You could ultimately remove them and not too much would change beyond Stealth/Roar, which are basically just ways to avoid fights, and Flying which is a more significant travel option. All the other abilities are in much more niche, context sensitive situations that only ever end up with some bonus items. It's nice that it's there but I wouldn't exactly point to it an an exemplary example of out-of-battle function.
I see your point though. Monster Sanctuary was the first thing that came to mind as an example, again expressly because it's an indie game. Funny that you bring up early Zelda games, because that's how the general overworld of Cassette Beasts works. And yet which that game also has some out-of-battle functions, their usage is even more simplistic than Monster Sanctuary.

And you're fine. I like having these kinds of discussions, especially without any needless shit flinging over things that don't need to be big arguments.
>>
>>3457967
>Funny that you bring up early Zelda games, because that's how the general overworld of Cassette Beasts works.
Hmmm I avoided it like the plague because I dislike the aesthetics but that sounds like good gameplay if somewhat simple, I'll check it out. As I've been researching out of battle abilities for my own game I think there are actually a few types of interactions you can have for out of battle puzzles/navigation and then thematical variations
>move/destroy obstacle
>manage visibility
>manage aggro
>cross certain terrains
>activate switches
And I should say that a sidescrolling game has a bit more emphasys on plataforming which adds a new dimension so I understand why Monster Sanctuary comes up in this topic.

I appreciate the good discussion too and I hope we see more indie games with good out of battle mechanics in the future.
>>
File: Tokyo Jungle.png (423 KB, 640x358)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
I would kill for a Tokyo Jungle-style game but with monsters.
Granted I would kill for another Tokyo Jungle game period.
>>
Just got an update for DQM3. Anyone know if it changes anything or is it just bug fixes?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.