[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

There's no such thing as the perfect role playing ga—
>>
>>3499459
The game is shit. It isn't even close to the best DQ game and nowhere near the perfect RPG.
>>
>>3499459
Its always been the greatest of all time.
>>
>>3499467
You just don't appreciate the beauty of the simplicity of it all. It's ultra cozy in all the right ways. Can't wait for the remake.
>>
>>3499459
Yeah, DQ3 is still so damn good.
>>
>>3499459
What makes it so good? post a webm or something to prove it.
>>
Dam i havent played in 22 years. Fired up an emulator on phone and it looks so much better than i expected. Thick textboxes and the sprites are clean.

Ive already bricked myself by outing myself as lazy in the survey. The class customization slot machine with the seeds is also pretty addictive. Reroll autism is my favorite kind.
>>
>>3499563
if you need to ask, you shouldn't be online, you should be playing DQ3
>>
I will never get into this series as I simply cannot get past how much I hate Toriyamaface
>>
>>3499853
You will never see Toriyamaface in 1-6 and PS1 7.
>>
>>3499563
There's blow jobs in this game. 5/5
>>
File: dqv-town.png (15 KB, 256x239)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>3499853
this is always such a weird and retarded complaint. why out yourself as a tasteless zoomer that'll take any excuse?
>>
this is my second favorite game of all time :)
>>
why isn't there a dragon quest remaster collection for modern consoles
>>
>>3500082
the prevailing theory is that's why the HD remake of III was delayed, Squeenix might be trying for making more of them.
>>
>>3500082
DQ has never had a consistent development history so it takes more time, money and effort to either pull together or remake resources from older games and then saddle a developer with the task of remastering them. As opposed to a series like FF where every mainline title was developed in-house and published by them, DQ went through like 4 different development companies (one of them long since defunct) before settling on SE with DQ10.
Outside of the DQ1-3 ports which were originally shoddy phone ports Horii doesn't seem interested in doing simple modern remasters like FF has.
>>
>>3499459
Based. Meanwhile SaGafags cry about how their garbage mobile UI RNG nonsense is ""peak""
>>
>>3499853
I'm the opposite, I usually don't care for jrpgs but the art style carries it for me.
I love the enemy designs.
>>
Why does offensive magic suck so much? What's the point of using it when I'm better off getting a Monk and punching the enemy harder than some mage's dinky fireball or ice shards? At best you can use Sap, but that misses a lot against the stuff you'd actually want to use it on.
It's not even just DQ3, it's all the games.
>>
>>3502105
Magic is incredibly powerful if you experiment with it and develop strategies for efficiently clearing enemy groups. Enemies have resistances and weaknesses to certain types of magic and you won't know it until you experiment with different encounter groups.
The Defeat/Whack line of spells for example often get memed on for being every useless but it took me a bit of playing around to realize that there are certain types of enemies very susceptible to being hit by it (usually "dumb" or physically strong types of enemies), and this stuck with me for every game since DQ2.
>>
>>3502124
i think people are very hesitant to experience with magic in dragon quest purely because mp is such a precious resource with so few ways to recover it in the series.
>>
>>3502124
Even with hitting weaknesses, it feels like you'd deal more damage just smacking the enemy with a sword. It simply doesn't seem worth it for how squishy mages are and for how limited MP is.
>>
>>3502150
Some enemies are resistant to physical attacks. You're also able to attack groups of enemies with magic early on in the game.
>>
>>3499459
For me, it's the early Toriyama's art.
>>
>>3499459
What roles can you choose to play in this?
>>
Started playing today, pretty fun and comfy. It's cool that i can have a battle harem in this game

>>3499588
Fellow lazyCHAD
>>
>>3499459
Yeah probably one of the best JRPGS
>>3499467
It is the best DQ, it focus on the series strengths instead of story or character bullshit
>>
I prefer the character driven games, such as DQ8 and DQ11.
DQ4 and DQ5 had a lot of potential too, but the execution was lacking, and as much as I want to blame hardware limitations, DQ6 and DQ7 didn't do any better either.
Shame none of the remakes tried to reimagine the game with more character interactions.
>>
Is this the most influential JRPG of all time? Even modern fantasy anime take from DQ.
>>
>>3505628
>Shame none of the remakes tried to reimagine the game with more character interactions.
What is party chat?
>>
>>3499459
I kneel. Something about DQ3 has really resonated with me that no other game has. Other RPGs I love to death like SMT, or Xanadu, or Ys 1&2, are fantastic, but there's something so special about DQ3 in particular that it's always the first thing that comes to mind when I think "What is the best JRPG?"
>>
I think it is crazy that DQ3 is so good but it was release around the same time as the other long running JRPGS were starting. Phantasy Star, Megami Tensei and Final Fantasy were all only a few months before it. It really was ahead of its time.
>>
File: 20240531230539_1.jpg (207 KB, 1920x1080)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
Mmmm, I love these games. When I get pushed into a corner and things are falling apart, I just have to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and somehow things work out. Never give up, they're always hope. I have such gripping moments like this in every DQ game I've played Calasmus was a long war of attrition and I enjoyed every second of it. Just now, I beat level 2 of the DQ11 book, see pic, and I barely made it with just Erik left. I'm scared of the next one. I'm not ready!
I've only had one Game Over my entire playthrough. It was against Rab when you're learning Quadraslash from Grand Master Pang, but I've been on the edge more than a few times!!
>>
File: 1712409172598228.png (30 KB, 128x128)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>3499459
How do I stop myself from falling asleep?
It's my fifth Dragon Quest and It all feels too similar.
>>
>>3508515
Look, I’ll be honest it was the first and only Dragon Quest game that I ever played. It just seems like the game that every other JRPG is based off of, and perfect in its simplicity.
>>
>>3499853
Stupid faggot zoomer can’t comprehend good enemy design beyond copy paste enemy number 12
>>
>>3505628
What are you talking about with character interactions? What do you mean?
>>
>>3504855
What do you think the DQ series strengths are? Literal babby's first CRPG mechanics? Gambling?
>>
>>3509989
Characters actually speaking and reacting during game events, not just giving their brief opinion about what happened via "talk" option.
Have you ever seen Kiryl interacting with Maya?
Alena interacting with Ragnar?
Torneko interacting with Borya?
It doesn't happen. We don't even know what they think about each other.
>>
Emulating DQ3 on my phone because of this thread. I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing but I have a beautiful young hero named Jamalita who will save the world and checking a GameFAQs article every 5 seconds so I don’t fuck up.
>>
>>3510008
Dragon Quest III is charming and simple, but also has amazing music, great combat, good world building, pacing and stories.
A few years ago, I couldn't get into JRPGs at all. Tried playing Earthbound, Final Fantasy VII, Persona and a few other entry-level games a couple of times but always ended up dropping them. I simply didn't understand the appeal of the genre. Dragon Quest III was the first JRPG I played that really was about what makes (or used to make) these console JRPGs what they are and did it in a way that was undeniably great. After playing it, I went back and beat all of the games I had dropped and even went from Persona to SMT and etc. I can't really tell what makes DQIII so good, but I just know it has something special to it (I didn't even want to like it, I just gave it a shot because my friend kept telling me I had to try it before giving up on the genre)
>>
>>3510848
>but also has amazing music,
This is the only part of what you said that is true. Combat is fucking braindead and PAINFULLY slow. There is no worldbuilding whatsoever, the setting is intentionally as generic as humanly possible. Pacing is as painfully fucking slow as the combat, and in some entries the pacing alone is suicide-inducing (DQ6 and 7). The scenario and stories are complete generic tripe except for maybe 4 and 5.
I can understand that a back-to-basics game would have appeal in a sea of quirky pretentious garbage, but DQ as a series is so infinitely basic and repetitive that it can't hold up in the modern day where you could play any of its competitors for free and on demand. These games were designed for Japanese toddlers and never evolved beyond that because of the enormous popularity of Toriyama's art (which personally I have never truly liked in DQ despite being a fan of elsewhere) and the god level music.
>>
>>3499459
I mean, not even the creators considered it perfect, nor was it the kind of RPG they loved. They made it dumbed down for the mass market.
>>
>>3510888
Combat isn't braindead imo. You need to use your items and support characters and abilities in a thoughtful way, which is more than most mainstream JRPGs. I don't agree that the combat is slow either, the animations are quick and turns don't take forever like they do in DQVIII, for exemple.
What I mean by good pacing and worldbuilding is that you are always unfolding a new story. Each town has its little tale, which keeps it fresh and dynamic. You don't need to play for many hours to get the plot to a point where something interesting happens, even if the overall story arch is very simple.
The repetition is true, but it's also what makes the games consistently good to people who really like the formula and "the series charm". I personally really like the artstyle, music and gameplay, and that's kind of all it needs to be for me to like it. It was also the first game that made me enjoy grinding for levels.
>>
>>3511075
>You need to use your items and support characters and abilities in a thoughtful way, which is more than most mainstream JRPGs. I don't agree that the combat is slow either, the animations are quick and turns don't take forever like they do in DQVIII, for exemple.
You're literally talking entirely out your fucking ass. Or you have never played any other mainstream fantasy JRPGs.
>What I mean by good pacing and worldbuilding is that you are always unfolding a new story. Each town has its little tale, which keeps it fresh and dynamic.
"Every town has a generic problem of the week, this is so fresh and dynamic!"
Just play more JRPGs please anon.
>>
>>3511078
Well, I haven't played maany JRPGs, but except for SMT, all of them have way dumber combat than DQIII. Final Fantasy is way easier,
Earthbound is a joke, Persona is ok but still much easier... DQIII late game isn't easy at all, you do need to play somewhat properly.
>>
File: 1693012587337659.png (265 KB, 256x372)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>3499459
I've been trying to get into Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest, beat the first game on an NES emulator but got bored of the second one after getting Lars. The games feel way to barebones and grindy compared modern arr pee jees.
Should I just skip to some of later entries? I normally don't mind retro games but anything before the 90s is just too old for me.
>>
>>3511078
Problem of the week or not, the stories are interesting. Maybe it's because I hadn't played any JRPGs before it, but I didn't know how most of them would unfold (even if I had a general idea).
>>
>>3511082
Dragon Quest 1 and 2 are as basic as it gets.
Dragon Quest 3 and 4 are good games, for NES standards that is.
Dragon Quest 5 is another game developed for the NES and ported to the SNES at the last minute.
Much of the series will have this retro flavor that probably doesn't appeal to most players. Some people think 3 to 5 are a good starting point, but ultimately they are very basic games.

Dragon Quest went through some rough phases after that. Grindy job systems, game being too long for its own good, focus on party/online.
So all things considered, if you want to try Dragon Quest I'd say to check 8 or 11 as they play more safe.
Also don't try to get into the series for the sake of getting into the series. If the game doesn't seem interesting, then don't bother playing it.
>>
>>3511082
try to push a little bit further into 2. you haven't even assembled the party yet. but if the nes version feels too slow, play the gbc one.
series becomes great at 3 but i recommend sticking with 2 a little longer before you shelf it.
>>
>>3499459
-me
Dragon Quest sucks
>>
Hm... I got bored quite fast on DQ3 (GBC remix), because I wanted to collect monster medals for the 2nd superboss from the start. All I know is that monster medals are easily earned when the monster you want the medal from is defeated last and thieves are monster medal hunters' worst enemy because the game skips medal checking once they steal an item from monsters... Is there any more I need to know? I really want to farm M-medals with ease.
>>
>>3510846
Dragon Quest is about talking to all the NPCs and figuring out what to do next.

Literally that's a core part of the game. Basically the world map is like a Zelda dungeon puzzle but instead of rudimentary block pushing its rudimentary clue hunting. Nothing's ever too hard to suss out.

Using a guide kinda robs you of half the game but enjoy it how you want.
>>
Dragon Quest V would be my favorite DQ if it wasn't that ridiculous random encounter rate.
>>
>>3503755
Warrior, Fighter, Merchant, Mage, Cleric, Jester, and Theif (non-NES versions)
>>
Playing for the first time and decided to play the SFC version with the translation patch. My starting party was Sexy Hero, Hyper Fighter, Sexy Thief, and Sexy Cleric. I just turned my Thief into a Sage, and my Cleric into a Jester who is almost ready to become a Sage. What should I do with the Fighter? Keep her as is or make her a third sage when I find the second Zen Book?
>>
>>3523298
Turn fighter into sage then sage into fighter.
>>
>>3523298
Keep the Fighter since they get a crit bonus based on their level. You'll get an item that acts as an infinite Multi-Heal. Slap that on the Fighter and you'll probably be ready for the end-game.
>>
>>3510212
They didn't do that in 4, but they did it for 5.
>>
>>3524710
Didn't they add party chat to one of the IV remakes then take it out the DS one that most people played before readding it to iOS/Android? Or am I making shit up?
>>
File: dq3remake.jpg (564 KB, 1280x1461)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
i completely forgot they were remaking dq3. this is looking pretty sweet
>>
>>3524736
There's no shot they've been remaking one of the most basic JRPGs ever made for 3+ years in an already existing engine when that much work from the trailer is already done. This has to be dead, or it has to be some some sort of legacy collection now, or else Square-Enix is reaching brand new levels of incompetence once thought impossible. And this is the company that made Forspoken and spent 15~ years making the single most forgettable and mid Final Fantasy game
>>
>>3524736
Idk if this is dead or not, but man I'm a sucker for this art. That top image is so damn beautiful.
>>
>>3524967
Rumor is its now a 1-3 remake in the HD-2D look. Makes sense, alot of reused assets in those games plus you might get more people to buy a 70 dollar old game when its a bunch of them
>>
>>3510848
>great combat
It does not.
>>
All DQ3 needs to be contender for best DQ (11 is still hard to top) is to get the class system from DQ9 copy-pasted into it and fine-tune enemies to account for the power creep

Bonus point if "Follow Orders" uses DQ11's turn priority, instead of choosing all in one go
>>
>>3524993
Ding ding ding, you win a prize anon.
>>
File: 1718725478000876.webm (2.62 MB, 1280x720)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB WEBM
>>
File: 1718729758960973.webm (3.84 MB, 1280x720)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB WEBM
>>
>>3526161
It's not even a compilation lmao. Pay full price for 3 and full price for 1+2. Levels of incompetence once thought impossible...
>>
>>3526407
>Oh no, why aren't they doubling the scope of the original project and selling for the same price? The levels of incompetence...
Come on anon
>>
>>3526327
>perplexing challenges
>it's just sokoban
Hm... Nope, still sticking to 2MB of GBC fun.
>>
>>3526433
If you think DQ1+2 deserve to be sold for anything more than $20, you need to get your head checked. I don't say this to insult you, but as a statement of fact. It is currently June 18, 2024, and you have severe brain damage.
>>
>>3526446
If you think a remake of DQ1+2 should be included for free in a game that never promised such a thing, you're a worse manager than those you're complaining about.
>>
>>3499459
>The remake exists and isn't vapor ware
>>
File: 1697458157348404.jpg (124 KB, 1024x813)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Old trailer had too much bloom but still liked the old look more. Here's hoping we get more new content than a new pachisi track.
>>
>>3526542
They took Pachisi out of the mobile versions and all the recent Final Fantasy remakes of 1-6 took out all rerelease content. I don't think we're getting anything new
>>
>>3526559
Well that's disappointing, wasn't expecting anything new but having less than the SFC version would be lame
>>
>>3511082
Hm... I'm playing the GBC compilation and I've gotten several game overs during my DQ1 playthrough. All of them were due to my battle against Dracolord, which made me angry at first but now I feel awesome for enjoying the difficulty of the very first game, which actually is the 2nd lorewise.
>>
File: dq6.png (1.19 MB, 1400x900)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
Does everyone agree?
>>
>>3499459
greatest rpg of all time
>>
>>3502124
>magic is powerful
this is how i know you never beat any of the dq games if not even played any of them at all
>>
>>3511082
anon. they are all basic as fuck. they are the original cookie cutter jrpg that gives the genre its worst name. but they are also the grandaddy of them all. great artstyle but overall boring and shit games. please play anything else.
>>
It's cute how you believe the troll. Looking at Dragon Quest and making the decision to start with NES 1 and 2 is blatant self-sabotage. Anon has no intentions of giving the franchise a fair shot and just wants to bitch about basic "jay are pee gees"
>>
File: d3.png (1.54 MB, 1242x704)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>3527588
checked
dubs confirms it
read em and weep denioooers
>>
>>3528726
For DQ3 players: in GBC, there's a glitch that acts like Pokérus in Pokémon, where if you lose 3-5 points of STR of a certain character, you gain an insurmountable amount of EXP the next battle for said character. It may destroy the fun but if you're following StrategyWiki's party guide at "A Different Approach" section, it's actually beneficial for your mages to class change in Dharma Temple.
>>
>>3499459
If is game is perfect then why does he look so mad?
>>
File: 9ay3e87ea6t91.png (258 KB, 735x554)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>3499459
I'm more of a IV chad, but III is a close second
>>
>>3526542
>Here's hoping we get more new content than a new pachisi track.
As if the Monster Medal Dungeon and Gran Dragon weren't enough.
>>
>DQ2
Hm... Where can I easily find Metal Slimes?
>>
>>3526433
>doubling the scope
DQ1&2 collectively are about a tenth of the scope of DQ3. They are extremely short games.
>>3526453
Not him, but no one said anything about including them for free. Just don't overcharge for them. They are the two most rudimentary prototypical games in the entire genre. Unless they're adding a shitload of new extra side quests or post-game content, they don't really deserve to be sold for anything beyond $20.
>>
Now I'm worried that the DQ3 remake won't be better than the SFC remake, and Enix is going to push through and start remaking the other games as well without the DS bonus content of 4, 5, and 6
>>
>>3524736
Seems like octopath art direction. I wonder what they will do with the musical score? Will they simply remix the audio? Give me a choice between new orcestral vs old retro?

I really hate the new DQ11 music it's all big band parade music I dislike it.
>>
>>3531601
Sugiyama isn't alive anymore to make executive decisions like "maybe the westerners are too subhuman to listen to my orchestrated music", so we'll probably have a choice in music score
>>
>>3531675
>falling for lies you saw on era and twitter
Sugiyama never made those decisions. He had no problem with only westerners getting the orchestral soundtrack for DQ8 PS2 while Japan was stuck with the MIDI soundtrack, nor did he have a problem with 11S releasing with orchestra music for all regions (which the original Japanese release didn't have either). It falls entirely on Horii and SE if they want to fork up money to the orchestra to include the symphonic suite recordings in the games. There's a reason why not even a single Japanese-exclusive spinoff features orchestrated music.
This narrative that he hates westerners and fucks over the music was started by literal trannies mad because he was an old Japanese man with slightly conservative beliefs.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.