[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Looking for some good 2d arpg games to play. You guys have any recommendations? Don't care much about graphics. The game just have to be fun to play.
>>
Ys IV Dawn of Ys is the GOAT. Play I & II Chronicles first. III for the TG-CD is a Zelda II clone, but it's still good, although the dub is awful. Astlibra is a spiritual successor to III.
>>
>>3501561
just play a zelda game
>>
>>3501561
CrossCode if you don't mind puzzles added on to it.
>>
>>3501561
Terranigma
>>
>>3501561
>>
>>3501561
Castlevania SOTN and onwards
>>
>>3501561
Magic and Slash
>>
>>3503623
Interesting. The controls remind me of Xanadu Next, which i don't know if i can classify as an arpg or entirely 2D. It was still a very charming game.
>>
>>3501561
Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana are probably the most well known 2D ARPGs, have you played those yet? Also, as another anon said, Ys 1 2 and 4 are good, though in my experience Ys 4 is by far the best of the bunch.
>>
>>3501561
Zelda 1, great Dungeon crawler
>>
>>3503732
Are there decent mana clones made by indies?
>>
>>3501561
Been trying to get into Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3/Trials of Mana). You might like it OP.
>>
Ys Origin. That's not exactly a 2d arpg but I think it may be what you're looking for. Also I really enjoyed DBZ Legacy of Goku lol
>>3507120
I second this, another great option.
>>
>>3507120
Why aren't such games come out bi anually? Piss easy to make, very high in demand.
What we end up with is sea of stars.
>>
>>3507326
What I can think of that came recently was Legend of Grindea and personally I disliked it.
I'm fine with grindy games but with the caveat that the grinding have really cool rewards or the gameplay I'm grinding be really fun and I found the game to have neither.
>>
>>3507372
That's what I'm saying. I'd rather play a 3rd class Zelda alltp hack than GRINDea.
How troony has a brain to be to name a game so?
>>
>>3501561
Anything set in modern times? I like to see cities like pokemon or earthbound.
>>
>>3507656
Terranigma and illusion of time
>>
File: revenant.jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>3501561
the first 1/3 of the game is pure gold
then it goes to mid to meh
>>
>>3501561
Hammerwatch, if you just want something you don't have to use your brain for
>>
>>3508424
Fuck man, I remember buying that game way way back. It had some game breaking bug that prevented me from ever progressing past the first act/chapter, and with internet not being the most common thing yet I had no way to get patches. Really liked the game otherwise
>>
>>3501561

arcuz (the flash games, gl finding them)

sword of mana for the gba
>>
>>3509253
Literally first entry
>>
pathos, like nethack but a little simpler in some aspects and with different worldgen and more quests (but still all about dungeon delving and coming up with solutions to seemingly unfair circumstances). nethack codex and pixel sojourn are both fun for learning in a single dungeon and kaloi opus and dhak legacy are open world (one is procgen one is hand-designed) and have more stories.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.